Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

(edited)

I doubt that Ree and Ladd could have met when their  dads were in college since I don't think they were born yet.

Remember when we were laughing over what Bryce would be when he grew up, and some of us guessed artist or dancer?  I just saw an old episode on On Demand in which the kids were talking about what they'd be someday.  Three of them said some occupation  (I don't remember what).  Bryce, the last, said (paraphrasing), "Not me!  I'm stayin' right here on the ranch!"

I guess that shoots down our theories unless Bryce might want to build an art and dance studio up by the Lodge.  Or, to really stretch it, he could join up with Ringling, Barnum and Bailey and travel with his troupe of the Drummond Dancing Cattle!

The Drummond Dancing Cattle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8_nWk4qtAU

Edited by Lura

I suppose it's entirely possible that Ree's father and six-pack (I'm talking Marlboros, not abs!) Chuck didn't cross paths after college. Ree's family lived on the perimeter of a gulf course in Bartlesville and I have no idea how close or far that is from the Drummond Ranch or Pawhuska. I also got the impression that Ree's family moved in the "country club circles," which probably didn't intersect with ranchers. When I read her books many years ago, I picked more than a touch of social class snobbery surrounding her and Ladd's wedding. That's hilarious because I'm sure the Drummonds could buy and sell Ree's birth family several times over.

I do recall that Ree met Ladd in a bar.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ree is definitely reading this blog and maybe others....  I logged onto her sight today and read her current confession.

She noted that she dyed her hair darker and how it's not very "orangey" any longer.  She also talked about her love of creating her dinnerware and linens.   I've pasted the link below. 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/confessions/

Edited by MissT
  • Love 2

Although I hate, loathe and despise her writing (assuming it's even her), I followed the link to see if she claims to design the crap.  Since it's all knockoffs of other designs, I never believed she did one bit of designing.  But I wanted to see what she had to say about it.  She says she loves "working on" the stuff.  Question answered.  

• Love 2

Does Ree publish a blog every day?  I wouldn't be able to stand reading it. At least that entry didn't have me scrolling through endless photos trying to get to the (blessed) end of a recipe.

I am honestly and truly sorry about Charlie and glad that he's OK. He probably saw the horrible "likeness" of himself on that cookie jar and had a bad case of the vapors. No animal should have to suffer like that, as long as Ree's on the subject.

I liked her crafty dodge-around of her actual contribution to the linens line. I really don't know how you can redesign a bandanna print.  Another thing, what was that about the building decorating. (Hell, I don't even know what she was babbling about.) There was a bunch of color samples of something that she and Hyacinth are using.

Red hair, especially when it's been colored forever, tends to fade more than get more orangey. You have to plan for it to turn out such a garish color. I guess that finally seeing the sad truth in the harsh light of day sent Ree packing to the nearest salon. (I speak from experience as a former salon ginger.)

That has to be the "Seinfeld" of blogs -- about absolutely nothing.

• Love 3

I shit you not, this was on one of her many media pages.  And this is the crap for which her minions supposedly love her:

"Then add 1 lb. powdered sugar. Actually, I like to add about 1/2 cup less than 1 lb., but I was too embarrassed to admit that I wouldn’t be able to tell you what quantity that is. So add a pound, but hold a little back, and please don’t ask me how much that is, because I hate math."

• Love 6

OK. I hate math, too, and didn't exactly excel at it in school. Nevertheless, I like to cook and like good results and have taken the time over the years to learn how many ounces are in one cup, etc. Even I could figure out how much you need just from reading that. The difference is that I am not considered an "authority" on cooking and baking like Ree is. Lady, if you're going to be all over TV and publishing cookbooks, then learn to do the math. Sheesh....

Her statement to me doesn't translate into "Ah, shucks. She's just like me and doesn't like math." To me, it speaks of laziness and not carrying that the final product doesn't turn out well for her sheeple.

Also, that directly contradicts statements she's made on her show. Listen to her sometime when she's cutting up brownies or lengths of cinnamon roll dough. I swear she's said that she's good at math. (I know that liking and being good at something are two different things, but still ...)

• Love 2

I shit you not, this was on one of her many media pages.  And this is the crap for which her minions supposedly love her:

"Then add 1 lb. powdered sugar. Actually, I like to add about 1/2 cup less than 1 lb., but I was too embarrassed to admit that I wouldn’t be able to tell you what quantity that is. So add a pound, but hold a little back, and please don’t ask me how much that is, because I hate math."

Was this for a frosting recipe? Because "a little bit" of powdered sugar can make the difference between a nice, smooth frosting and spackle.

Honestly, though, this woman is being paid a disgusting amount of money for a cooking show and she can't even properly measure ingredients. 

• Love 5

Here is an idea.....get a chart....use your special measuring cups and spoons......stop saying "buncha."

Stop serving your trough ice cream sundaes with 30 ingredients and having the kids wait to scarf up the drippings from those in front falling off their spoons while eating....from the trough.

Might try to caramalize your beef....oh, and let it rest. Their steaks always look limp and have no color. Same with her searing meat. This....from a cattle ranch. Sigh.

• Love 2

Was this for a frosting recipe? Because "a little bit" of powdered sugar can make the difference between a nice, smooth frosting and spackle.

Honestly, though, this woman is being paid a disgusting amount of money for a cooking show and she can't even properly measure ingredients. 

Yup! It's the chocolate frosting for the "Best Chocolate Sheet Cake" or whatever she calls it. The one the rest of the world calls Texas Sheet Cake. When I make it I add in the whole pound... because she's insane... and it's too runny with a whole 1/2 cup less sugar but I also don't put in the nuts because I'm allergic so I *think* what she should probably say is "if you're using the chopped nuts you should cut back on the sugar by a 1/2 cup" but she doesn't. It's a stupid way to write out a recipe. I suppose I should clarify that it's technically more of a glaze than an frosting. It's melted butter, cocoa powder (heaping tablespoons of course), sugar, some milk and vanilla. You pour it on the hot cake. If you don't use the nuts it would be too runny if you left out that 1/2 cup of sugar.  

Of course TV cooks are going to be a bit cryptic with their measurements:  they need to drive traffic to the websites and buys to the bookstores for the complete recipe.  As for how much sugar, the old saying applies:  it's easier to add more than to subtract too much.

• Love 1
Stop serving your trough ice cream sundaes with 30 ingredients and having the kids wait to scarf up the drippings from those in front falling off their spoons while eating....from the trough.

God, that was disgusting. How anybody thought that was a good idea, I don't even know. I mean, it's not a terrible idea if it was just the siblings or a small group of friends, but a crowd of 30 people? UGH.

• Love 2

Well, when you feed the livestock, you use a trough.  Shows you how she thinks about her friends and relatives.  And her brainless followers who probably think that's a buncha cute idea.

Maybe she'll design a trough she can sell.  Sounds like something the infamous People of Walmart would snap up.

• Love 5

She'll end up having another gendered episode, where the boys eat from a trough w/ no utensils, and the girls have bone china.

Yeah, I saw the girls episode today wherein it was declared that the boys wouldn't like broccolini, mac & cheese with lobster and steak. She's gross. 

• Love 1

She really goes OTT with gender role stereotypes. There's nothing about that meal that wouldn't appeal to males. Maybe Bryce and Todd would balk at the broccolini because they're kids and many kids tend to regard vegetables with suspicion if not covered in cheese sauce.

But lobster mac and cheese? Pretty much anybody that wasn't a vegetarian, allergic to seafood and/or dairy, or disregarded bottom-dwellers would be all over that. 

Speaking of the lobster mac and cheese, she's letting her haute bourgeoise show again. I expect Giada or Ina to cook this dish on their respective shows (and they have), but they make no qualms about their upper-class lifestyles living on the beaches of LA and the Hamptons. But not somebody trying to desperately sell the aw-shucks-rural-country-bumpkin-Oklahoma lifestyle. The giant plot of land with two houses and cooking with Le Creuset is already pushing it, but that can be overlooked. But then making lobster for a random day with the daughters and not a special occasion takes it over the top. Especially for a person living in a land-locked Midwestern state where fresh seafood comes at a premium and would be out of the price range of most of the suburbanite housewives that make up PW's fandom. There's also how she and Ladd are so cavalier with expensive cuts of meat. I understand they can afford to be careless with how they cook meat when buying several whole tenderloins doesn't make a blip in the budget, but that's not something that should be shown when the whole schtick is the opposite.

We all know Nancy Fuller of Farmhouse Rules is loaded, but she still convincingly sells the humble farmhouse home cooking grandma persona, probably because that is her heritage. I haven't seen her make any dish that wasn't easily accessible price-wise for her audience.

And the back and forth between that and then making a cabbage casserole smothered in cheese and seasoning club crackers from a box on another episode just highlights what a farce PW is all-around.

• Love 6

I caught a bit of that rerun the other day. I thought Ree was trying to replicate a steakhouse menu. Is lobster mac n cheese a recent addition at steakhouses? It seems to me like it would be very heavy and actually compete with the steak for flavor as well as the protein element of the meal. The other TV hosts usually round out the plate with some type of potatoes or in Ina's case, onion rings, as well as creamed spinach or a iceberg wedge salad

I live north and east of the border from Ree and you can usually always find frozen lobster tails at the supermarket. Granted, they are only 4-6 oz., and you'd have to buy quite a few to yield enough meat for a full-scale recipe. Pricewise, they run about $6.99-$7.99, but during the holidays, they go on sale for as low as $4.99. Still, not cheap if you have to end up buying four or five.

Anyway, gender equity aside, that type of dish seems like too much trouble to make at home (at least for me) especially now since it's so common on restaurant menus.

I wish that the next time Ree makes the morning news segments that some interviewer has the balls to ask her about her what-women-eat vs what-men-eat philosophy.

• Love 1

But lots of big names chefs are doing it - including Hubert Keller, and I'd love to taste his take on it.

Here's his recipe (PDF file) http://www.hubertkeller.com/recipes/pdf/Hubert-Keller-Chef-Recipes-111-B.pdf

It seems to me she tries to take a page from Thomas Keller of the French Laundry in butter poaching the lobsters, but doesn't go whole-hog with it. I like Hubert's way better, cooking *with* the shells on - it's also easier to get the meat out once the lobster's cooked. But cooking with the shell imparts more flavor. 

There's a lot more seasoning, a lot less crap cheese (her recipe - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/lobster-mac-and-cheese.html- specifies " 1 cup shelf-stable grated Parmesan, such as Kraft" - i.e. fake cheese) and 3 other kinds which really, in my opinion, don't go together: cheddar, fontina and goat cheese. Like we keep saying, she has no palate. Everything goes in without regard for flavors. 

Hubert's has some booze & veggies, which would be ok for the Drummond women, since they aren't boys. (It kind of hurt to type that!)

Hubert's has some booze & veggies, which would be ok for the Drummond women, since they aren't boys. (It kind of hurt to type that!)

And that's what's always struck me as odd.  The Drummond daughters seemingly do the same work on the ranch as the boys-- why make distinctions over what they eat?  Stepping away from my feminist soapbox.....

• Love 2

And that's what's always struck me as odd.  The Drummond daughters seemingly do the same work on the ranch as the boys-- why make distinctions over what they eat?  Stepping away from my feminist soapbox.....

I was about to say the same thing.  It's weird to me that the girls are called "cowboys" by Ree, but she then turns around and does this weird gender demarcation thing with food.

• Love 5

I'm currently recording Ree's shows, so I'm out of sync with the rest of you.  Today, I watched two shows, which was definitely overkill that I won't repeat. 

She made us sit through yet another church potluck, and she cooked enough food for an army.  On a previous potluck, she explained that she makes more food than most people because her family is large and eats a lot.  That struck me as thoughtful of her.  Today, though, when it took her entire family to lug the food from truck to church table, I thought maybe she made so much so that every soul there could enjoy her outstanding cooking.

When she was rolling her 1,000 meatballs, I noticed that she put every ounce of muscle into making them tight.  Doesn't she watch Bobby Flay or any of the other FN chefs who warn us not to roll them too tightly or they'll taste like shoe leather?  Maybe the gravy softened them a little?  We can hope!

• Love 3

When she was rolling her 1,000 meatballs, I noticed that she put every ounce of muscle into making them tight.  Doesn't she watch Bobby Flay or any of the other FN chefs who warn us not to roll them too tightly or they'll taste like shoe leather?  Maybe the gravy softened them a little?  We can hope!

She does the same thing with her burgers, despite that everyone else says to not do that. I just roll my eyes.

• Love 2

We arrived in London yesterday, and this morning when I got out of the shower, my husband had on Food Network (UK) for me (what a sweetie). I saw by the on-line guide that they were subjecting the Brits to an hour of Pioneer Woman in the afternoon. I thought we were Allies with the UK. ;-)

• Love 9

Oh, great.  I wouldn't make one single thing ever shown on her show (I am not suicidal) nor would I buy any of the substandard crap she hawks at Wally World.  I don't read her stupid blog and I would never in this lifetime buy her so-called cookbooks.  So despite all that, it appears that through my tax dollars I am supporting this idiot and her phony cowboy entourage.

Excuse me while I wander off to push a pencil though my temple.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Oh, great.  I wouldn't make one single thing ever shown on her show (I am not suicidal) nor would I buy any of the substandard crap she hawks at Wally World.  I don't read her stupid blog and I would never in this lifetime buy her so-called cookbooks.  So despite all that, it appears that through my tax dollars I am supporting this idiot and her phony cowboy entourage.

Excuse me while I wander off to push a pencil though my temple.

LMAO I want to buy this post flowers it's so perfect.

That article is very interesting up to and including the implied child labor. I have wondered about that often.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, ariel said:

With all the money the Drummond's have, why does Ree cook the most nasty cheap ass food?

Ratings? It's what her loyal fans want? When I got up this morning in our hotel in London, I saw they were doing a mulit-hour marathon of Ree. Can you imagine what Brits think of us based on her show?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ariel said:

With all the money the Drummond's have, why does Ree cook the most nasty cheap ass food?

Exactly! When the new episode came on this morning I was like more chicken legs, enchiladas and corn casserole? same thing over and over but in different forms....be original for once.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, chessiegal said:

Ratings? It's what her loyal fans want? When I got up this morning in our hotel in London, I saw they were doing a mulit-hour marathon of Ree. Can you imagine what Brits think of us based on her show?

Between Ree & the Donald I don't think the Brits think much of us.

• Love 8
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, autumnh said:

With all the money the Drummond's have, why does Ree cook most nasty cheap ass food?

I would guess that it's because she's "playing down" to her audience, and also because she's found the road to success.  If she can make millions selling inexpensive food and inexpensive dinnerware, why change it?  I think that Ree could afford to make eggs with lobster for breakfast, lobster rolls for lunch, and whole steamed lobster with drawn butter for dinner every day of the week, but how many of her fans could?  Besides, Ladd might commit murder at midnight because he has to have his beef!  :)

• Love 1

CHESSIEGAL SAID:

We arrived in London yesterday, and this morning when I got out of the shower, my husband had on Food Network (UK) for me (what a sweetie). I saw by the on-line guide that they were subjecting the Brits to an hour of Pioneer Woman in the afternoon. I thought we were Allies with the UK. ;-)

Chessiegal!!!  So good to hear from you!  Can't wait to hear all about your cruise, etc.  I'm so excited for you!  Listen, I'm afraid I have bad news.  I forgot to draft a note to the Queen, telling her you were coming.  Send me your hotel addy ASAP!  It's getting a little late to just drop in. (Sorry about that.)

• Love 2

I'll eat just about anything, but the thought of corned beef and cabbage quiche makes me want to barf.

It's interesting hearing about the redevelopment of that mercantile building.  I don't know anything about the city, but every time they show a shot of the exterior it looks like such a dead part of the city - like that will be the only thing there.  I'm sure that curried chicken salad of hers will bring them in by the bus load.  

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

I'll eat just about anything, but the thought of corned beef and cabbage quiche makes me want to barf.

It's interesting hearing about the redevelopment of that mercantile building.  I don't know anything about the city, but every time they show a shot of the exterior it looks like such a dead part of the city - like that will be the only thing there.  I'm sure that curried chicken salad of hers will bring them in by the bus load.  

I thought about the same thing in regards to the corned beef & cabbage quiche...my dad was from Ireland and I cannot stand corned beef but I do love cabbage.

I call bullshit on the rest of the panel...when opening a deli/restaurant you don't ask your friends...you get professionals. Honestly? I think she will do well..she will have fan girls from EVERYWHERE swarming there for quiche and tacky aprons/pie plates..the hope of seeing Ree or Hy

Edited by autumnh
  • Love 2

Ditto.  And of course her sycophantic posse would all vote for her bizarre concoctions.  Hope they enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame on the TeeVee.  I bet the bus tour groupies will rival the People of Walmart clowns in dress and manners.  

• Love 2

I bypassed that article the first time through because of a lack of time, but I caught it today and felt like barfing.  The Drummonds are getting away with highway murder (let alone speeding)!  Somebody -- or maybe several people -- are advising them on how to get around the laws on both a federal and a local level, while they hold dinners, feed their mentors steaks, and refer to all of them as "some of our best friends."  I can just imagine their Christmas parties with Ree and her SIL doing those  steaks "an' all the fixins".  Following dessert, I imagine each man slips into another room with Ladd and receives a cute Christmas stocking filled with a wad of bills.  Fun, fun, fun!!!

• Love 1

Question:  I came along, reading the post above several days later, and wanted to add something, but the edit button was no longer available.  What do you do in a case like that?

What I hoped to add was that the last sentence (about Ladd bribing officials/friends) was meant as a joke.  I'm sorry if I offended anyone by seeming to insinuate that Ladd is dishonest.

• Love 1

A friend of mine shared a post from Ree's FB page on FB. I had no idea she liked Ree. I'm glad I found out before I offended her, because she is a lovely person that I like, her taste in TV cooks aside.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Lura said:

Question:  I came along, reading the post above several days later, and wanted to add something, but the edit button was no longer available.  What do you do in a case like that?

Users can only edit for I think a week, if you have a post that's too old to edit (in this forum) you can copy/paste it into a PM and send me the edit and I can do it for you. I say in this forum, because this is my forum but other mods may handle this differently in other forums. 

The alternative that works everywhere is you can report the post and ask for it to be deleted and then you can re-post the edits. You can also report and ask for an edit but if it's substantial editing it may be better to just PM the mod of the show.

Hope this helps!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

A friend of mine shared a post from Ree's FB page on FB. I had no idea she liked Ree. I'm glad I found out before I offended her, because she is a lovely person that I like, her taste in TV cooks aside.

My dear departed Aunt also loved Ree. But then again, her terrible cooking was a family legend. She made hella good pickles though.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was surprised to find that Deb Perelman, who writes the Smitten Kitchen blog, was not only a fan of the Pioneer Woman, but actually visited the Lodge in 2009.  Perelman's blog & cookbook seem to be honest efforts by a real home cook, so I can't imagine what she finds appealing about any aspect of the Drummond persona. 

What happened to Charlie?  I can't find an answer.  He is so funny when Ree talks to him and he looks back at her with his bored gaze and a yawn!

I'm all for Ree changing the name of her show to "Mexican Mama."  She made chili (I think) the other day and added jalapeno peppers, Serrano peppers and, just for good measure, jiggled in about 1/3 cup of hot pepper sauce!  Their tongues must be so raw that the skin peels right off of them.  Whew!

Is this woman still on TV?  I read her blog years ago and she started out OK, but she got more and more irritating  as time went on.  Every recipe had to be accompanied with an abundance of photos detailing the process. I tried one or two of her recipes and thought they were not very good. I watched a couple of her cooking shows but, I'm ashamed to say, her whole persona did not appeal to me.  A most unattractive woman.   

• Love 2

This weekend I saw an episode of Trisha's Southern Kitchen with Ree as the guest.  They made chicken fried steak and mac and cheese with a chocolate pie for dessert.  I think it's great that she's branching out.  /end sarcasm.

• Love 5