Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Alone For The Holidays

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Finally, I don't like it because I feel like I can't mention being in the military without making it an appeal for attention - if you mention you're a veteran, everyone around you has to stop whatever conversation they are having and thank you or else its assumed they hate veterans... because they have to check the box or else. I can't mention I was in the army without this happening - it makes me feel awkward, like I am forcing people to compliment me.

Another former military member here, I know what you mean. It does feel awkward at times. But I know it does feel obligatory for the other person, so I say "thanks" back and change the subject as soon as possible.

I think people like Barbra make this worse, she strikes me as the type who expects kowtowing for her very special sacrificing self and hubby. Like she has some extra right to be offended by Maryum's drawing because don't you know her husband is in the military?

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, candall said:

This bums me out.  Based on the people I know who are now out of the service, military service seems pretty much like you risk your life and you're likely to get a raw deal in exchange.  So even though it's not entirely comfortable for me to lay a personal sentiment on a stranger, I do say "thank you for your service." 

I put it out there, when it would be easier to keep quiet, because for people from my generation, it's important to make sure not one single veteran ever gets a reception like the men who came back from Vietnam.

Is there something else someone could say to you that would be more convincing as an acknowledgement that you volunteered to do something difficult?

I must say that most of the time, I think the people that say it are genuine.  I just say thanks back and move along. The only thing that bugs me is that when  I get a military discount or something, people always say ,"thank you for your service" to my  husband when it's me that served. I also can't  say I've ever meant anyone who was in the Marines because it was jail or military.In fact, I know some who were not allowed to join for minor things on their record.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

The guard that came in during the women's smoking tobacco was so out of shape and disinterested, she could have been overpowered and beaten if the women felt like it. I'm surprised she came in there alone at night. No search, no repercussions...wow. She is so unmotivated, maybe she was even napping.

No kidding. I'm reluctant to call anyone out for being overweight because pot, meet kettle, but that woman something else. She is unfortunate enough to have a body where the extra weight has collected in a couple of places so her body looks contorted (this probably has a name but I don't know what it is) rather than just being heavy overall.  She was not wearing a uniform (she probably can't find one that fits her) and actually looked like one of the inmates when she was standing among them. Why would you give any respect to a person who looks as dumpy as you do?  They either don't have any physical fitness requirements for the job or she was some kind of temporary staffer because it was Thanksgiving weekend.  She didn't seem real familiar with the pod when she said "Go back to sleep....wherever it is" or something like that.

• Love 1

Barbara should use her brilliant detective skills to figure out that being a stay at home mom does not mix well with going on a RTVS for 60 days.  She was busy destroying the joy Amy had from receiving the coloring from Yaz because she was insulted by a slight she thought was aimed at the military.  Drama for no reason ,. When her husband the person who actually served in the military tells you calm down, think of the first amendment how do you continue to be angry?  And how in the world did she not pick up in a Video message how pissed off her husband was?   Dude looked like he was reading a script of a POW, there was no warmth in his video, he had a kind blank expression.  I think her emails & phone calls are a nuisence to him.  Barbara always seems to talk about jail but does not inquire about her children.  Very telling it was the mom who visited Barbara not her husband.  Tami & Zach's wives visited them.  I can see divorce coming up for Barbara.  

Okay after watching Robert's ordeal I was wondering what is so good about being in the general population ?

segregation - privacy 

Your own toilet

.                      You get commissary & normal meals

.                      No worry about maintaining the lie 24/7.

You can read

After 30 days , in his meditation cell the thought of returning to general population was no prize .

• Love 3

Yep. I mean, if it had happened a few days before, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt. He has a drastically different diet at home, maybe the food is a shock to his system, whatever. But right before he was scheduled to go back to the pod? He knew that he would be in trouble. I don't blame him for trying to fake his way out of there after folks thinking he was a cop.

• Love 1

I don't think he was faking but I don't think he needed hospitalization.

I'm finding the commercials for the upcoming episode where he is debriefed hilarious because Deputy Dumbass or Sheriff Idiot - I can't tell which one, is asking if he's been diagnosed with mental illness and all I can think is "Didn't you idiots fucking check that?"

I mean, I would think checking for a history of mental illness *should* have come up before Robert was made into the Sheriff's civilian spy and while I don't like encouraging nuisance lawsuits, I think all the inmates in C pod have a case to argue that Sheriff Idiot endangered them by putting his crazy ass in close proximity.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't think this project was thought through very well. The Sheriff made a huge deal of the fact that if Robert went to the hospital the program would end, but didn't they think of these types of scenarios? I have to believe that there are several employees who do know the true situation. If not, how do they remove Jeff without anyone suspicious? How do prisoners get private meetings with relatives and production staff? The only way this would work would be if a number of people were involved in moving things around.

I don't understand Barbra at all and think she rivals Robert in the mental illness department. You don't care about or miss you kids? Your biggest concern is a crayon drawing someone made? I wouldn't be surprised to hear her husband say he didn't want her back.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 7
(edited)

Wow.  I've always sincerely thanked members of the military when I've seen them. It's sad to know that my sincere thank you is secretly being sneered at.  I don't do it to be "PC" I say it because I mean it.  My dad faught in Korea as a Marine and it really pains me to know that my words are being taken that way. 

From now on I'll just keep my damn mouth shut. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

I think we may go a little overboard sometimes in voicing our appreciation for our military.  Not that they don't deserve it.  I think Viet Nam cast such a spell on our national psyche, I think there's a lot of us who want to make absolutely sure there's no repeat of that shameful behavior exhibited to our returning soldiers.  My two uncles were in Viet Nam in 1969 and 1970.  They still will not talk about it.

Spoiler

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Wow.  I've always sincerely thanked members of the military when I've seen them. It's sad to know that my sincere thank you is secretly being sneered at.  I don't do it to be "PC" I say it because I mean it.  My dad faught in Korea as a Marine and it really pains me to know that my words are being taken that way. 

You say what you want. Not everyone feels this way. Don't let someone else deter that. 

• Love 3
On 4/30/2016 at 3:29 AM, candall said:

This bums me out.  Based on the people I know who are now out of the service, military service seems pretty much like you risk your life and you're likely to get a raw deal in exchange.  So even though it's not entirely comfortable for me to lay a personal sentiment on a stranger, I do say "thank you for your service." 

I put it out there, when it would be easier to keep quiet, because for people from my generation, it's important to make sure not one single veteran ever gets a reception like the men who came back from Vietnam.

Is there something else someone could say to you that would be more convincing as an acknowledgement that you volunteered to do something difficult?......................................

I think Barbra's biggest problem with that foot on the flag, is the color of it.  She was very clear in telling her husband it was a "black foot".

I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the face time the spouses and children are getting.  I know these are small-time criminals, but Tami and Zac are straight forward about discovering and reporting illegal activities.  I would think Zac would be smart enough not to prominently post pics of his wife and child, and allow them to talk on camera.

• Love 2

I posted a review of the First Look sneak peak for Episode 10 that aired tonight over in the First Look thread. Technically it has spoilers, but it's honestly nothing that we didn't know from last week's preview.

I understand about people saying thank you for your service. It is a quote a saying, not something that just popped into people's heads. A lot of people say it by rote. I am not comfortable using another person's saying, I would just say something in my own words or maybe just lobby ,y congressman to treat veterans better. Writing to my congressman was a frequent thing before I got into a different district and my congressman thanks me for my letter and then goes and does something different, basically represent other interests, not mine. When my young friend came back from Iraq and could not get a job, I hired him to help me with yard work and paid him well. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. 

I am pretty sure that Maryum told that woman that she wanted to draw a flag, but screwed it up so she just put some red white an blue in there for the country. As far as the foot, she seems to be drawing random stuff and Barbara decided to make it a DRAMATIC moment - if there is no problem make it up. I have no idea why people are drawing things for other people, so its appreciation seems to vary. Any craft I could do I am sure could not be done in jail, Knitting, sewing, cooking, sailing.  see, not jail interests. ha ha .  We already know you can't buy people things or they turn on you. I would be useless in jail.

I am really surprised about letting them buy tablets and get a form of e-mail.You would think that would reduce the numbers of phone calls. .

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:54 PM, GenL said:

There was- it's the next thread above this one called "Institutionalized".

It's my damn Xfinity on demand. The show aired last Thursday, and it still is not showing !!! Piece of shit...

On May 1, 2016 at 2:01 PM, terxav said:

Barbara should use her brilliant detective skills to figure out that being a stay at home mom does not mix well with going on a RTVS for 60 days.  She was busy destroying the joy Amy had from receiving the coloring from Yaz because she was insulted by a slight she thought was aimed at the military.  Drama for no reason ,. When her husband the person who actually served in the military tells you calm down, think of the first amendment how do you continue to be angry?  And how in the world did she not pick up in a Video message how pissed off her husband was?   Dude looked like he was reading a script of a POW, there was no warmth in his video, he had a kind blank expression.  I think her emails & phone calls are a nuisence to him.  Barbara always seems to talk about jail but does not inquire about her children.  Very telling it was the mom who visited Barbara not her husband.  Tami & Zach's wives visited them.  I can see divorce coming up for Barbara.  

Okay after watching Robert's ordeal I was wondering what is so good about being in the general population ?

segregation - privacy 

Your own toilet

You can read

After 30 days , in his meditation cell the thought of returning to general population was no prize .

Deployment vs Home with Barb 

Mr Barb seems like he'd prefer #1

On 5/1/2016 at 11:01 AM, terxav said:

segregation - privacy 

Your own toilet

You can read

If you're an extrovert, segregation is torture. If you're an introvert like me, it's a relief. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2016 at 0:57 AM, Maharincess said:

FWIW Maharincess if you were to come up and thank me for my service, it would make me smile. 

On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 3:57 AM, placate said:

Fuck off, Barbra.  You're a military wife, you haven't done shit for your country, your husband has while tolerating you and the kid you had when you were a teenager.  He has fought for the rights of Americans to enjoy free speech, including drawing black feet stomping on the American flag as well as the right to burn any flag you may want.  If I was Maryum, I'd draw a confederate flag and wave it at Barbra while telling her that #blacklivesmatter.  I hope that when this show is done that she tells her how she's Muhammad Ali's daughter and is not rude, but just that much better than her.

Speaking of hashtags and mobile devices, why do all the ladies in f-pod seem to have tablets?  They have computers there for commissary and skype, I'm curious if they get the tablets from the commissary?  I would never want to go to jail because I don't think I could use the bathroom in front of other people but if they have tablets and I could play some Candy Crush, I might rethink not throwing a punch after having too much to drink. 

I tend to avoid "reality" tv because I think it's crap.  I find it so weird that Tami had a skin issue last episode and ladies were breaking out in horrible rashes but this episode is all about lonely Thanksgiving and a hissy fit over free speech.  There was also Robert, but I don't care about his shit.  Once I was constipated for six days and in agony, despite that I can't sympathize with that psycho.  What happened to Boston the nurse or pod-boss put in seg Roby?  They were more interesting than our test subjects.

Lol at the black lives matter. She should have done this. 

5 minutes ago, Darknight said:

He has fought for the rights of Americans to enjoy free speech, including drawing black feet stomping on the American flag as well as the right to burn any flag you may want. 

Amen!