Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Alone For The Holidays

• Start Topic

Thanksgiving approaches and Zac calls upon his Marine training to keep focus; Isaiah continues to bond with Treshawn; Tami tries to root out contraband in F-Pod; and Robert falls ill and debates checking out of the program to go to the hospital.

Ha! I always thought Robert was full of crap. Now, he is literally full of crap! Anything to avoid general population...Right, Robert?

All of the episodes seem so disjointed. And all of them crying over Thanksgiving was weird. Suddenly every issue from last week is gone and the girls' pod is the happiest place on earth. Barbra continues to baffle me with her whiplash inducing feelings about the other women. 

• Love 9

Isaiah really needs to be careful of the people he runs with once he's out of jail.  He's obviously very easily influenced.  

I'm on the fence about whether Robert is really sick or not.  I've been really, REALLY constipated before, and it is extremely painful, and the pain sometimes comes and goes in waves.  You can also get a bowel blockage from it, which is potentially fatal.  So I'm sort of giving him the benefit of the doubt, but since he's in seg, I don't know why he can't come back to the program after going to the hospital.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Barbra didn't just go to Yaz and asked her if that's what she really intended to draw ... a black foot stomping on the American flag.  It does seem kind of an odd choice to put inside a heart.

Isaiah, Isaiah, Isaiah.....didn't take long for you to get totally caught up in thug life, did it?  IF, that is, what we saw was accurate.

Wonder how angry/disappointed/sad Brian will be when he finds out Zac has been lieing to him, his Marine brother, all this time?

How can Amber come into the pod and immediately be the pod boss.  Shouldn't a person have to work up to that distinguishing position?

Robert: Death by Constipation.  If he's been drinkiing all that prune juice, wouldn't be be shitting his brains out?  Oh wait, he doesn't have a brain.  I know, I know ... that joke was way too easy and obvious.

Tami proved herself to be rather sane-ish tonight.  If Amber is getting contraband in her tray, wouldn't the guards know that from watching the cameras because she announced it loudly, along with a slightly veiled threat to the entire pod.

I don't EVER want to go to jail.  Oh, another question: why do some jail/prisons have bars and others have these pods?  It seems like every jail/prison show I watch, the set-up is different.  I'm so confused.

• Love 4

There is prison, then there is jail, then there are just holding cells. They are in jail. My experience working in prisons is there are bars AND pods. It just depends on funding vs overcrowding. Every county, state and federal facility is different, based entirely on funding.

• Love 1

Robert could go back into the program; the Sheriff is just acting pissy. Real inmates get sick and go into the hospital, him giving his real name has nothing to do with the inmates inside. How would they know that Robert was at the hospital and that he gave a different name? I also want to know how they have those very close camera shots of people's hands and faces without the inmates knowing. If they are obviously filming the guys smoking the crack pipe things, doesn't it cause legal issues if they know but do nothing about it?

I also think the Sheriff dislikes Zac for fitting in and is trying to get him 'caught' doing something illegal. As for the women, I have disliked Barbra from day one and still do. I agree the picture was odd, especially as a gift, but it has nothing to do with her. Calling her husband to complain about it was silly. I bet her husband is happy she is away for awhile.

I have come to the unscientific conclusion that the guys become aggressive and sneaky due to having nothing to do and the women become somewhat childlike for the same reason. Coloring pictures, doing each other's hair, worrying about who is the boss. 

• Love 10

It's hilarious to me that the new "pod boss" is writing encouraging notes and encouraging the group hug mentality. Totally different path for the men when they go for pod boss.

Robert is NOT sick. He is simply full of crap. Actual crap, from that stupid experiment where he wanted to binge on junk food. Good riddance, you psycho. Notice the food tray was eaten? He is STILL stuffiing it in. I think he was hired to create this crazy and then be let go. We know he is a reality actor goon, nothing about him here has been real. Now if Barbra would just tap out....

Isaiah's naivety was begging for this fake dilemma to happen. I feel for him. He is so young.

Zac continues to be a dumbass, ratting on everyone he can find, and on TV, no less. Now Tami is doing it. I have so much secondhand embarrassment for all these people trying to sell us on this drama.

This is so stupid. Amber would NEVER yell all of that out to the pod about what's in her tray when she has yet to be convicted of a charge and she is wrong about tattling leading to a possession charge. She just willingly threatened her own case in front of a handy cam. Never going to happen.This is so fake. I hate myself for watching...

So, once again, Barbra has forgotten where she is, and is outraged by political incorrectness. Meanwhile, Yaz admitted she messed up the drawing and wasn't happy with it. THEN  Barbra admired the drawing and told Yaz she was very talented. This girl was born to be a mean girl. And she talks to her husband about how rude Yaz has been in the past? Please, someone, anyone, beat up Barbra. Her husband continues to be too good for the girl he unfortunately knocked up and had to marry.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 10

Just curious if anyone caught that show 24 to Life after 60daysIn.

Another jail show goes into my DVR rotation - I'm obsessed. Wonder if it will have a forum 

• Love 1

There are so many over-the-counter laxatives, but all they gave Robert was prune juice. Once I had a very, very bad problem, and the thing that kept me from going to the hospital was a Phillips suppository. Last episode one of the guards (or nurse?) talking with him mentioned Magnesium citrate, which I had to drink (along with other things) before a colonoscopy. It doesn't sound like that's even been tried.

I hate Barbra. She's clearly one of those "holier than thou" -- or rather, "more patriotic than thou" -- types who passes judgment on everyone and holds herself above because her husband is in the military. Yet, while on the phone with him, it sounds almost like she blames him for it! 

• Love 15

This is so stupid. Amber would NEVER yell all of that out to the pod about what's in her tray when she has yet to be convicted of a charge and she is wrong about tattling leading to a possession charge. She just willingly threatened her own case in front of a handy cam. Never going to happen.This is so fake. I hate myself for watching...

Yeah, this was a big eye roll from me as well. In fact there a number of WTF kind of fucking idiocy is this moments, but this was ridiculous. Seriously, Amber does this on camera and Sheriff Idiot can't figure out the scam without spies?

And the cameras are clearly being monitored because the one inmate who bopped the camera was taken down with prejudice. But,, there's been no way anyone could have prevented the attack on Jeff.....

. He is simply full of crap. Actual crap, from that stupid experiment where he wanted to binge on junk food. Good riddance, you psycho. Notice the food tray was eaten?

If I recall, isn't he theoretically a vegan who normally drinks his meals? I could see the endless junk food binge causing him problems. I can believe it. However Sheriff Fuckwit's drama over the program is like um... as overwrought as the flag drawing stuff. I mean really, if he wanted Robert to be useful, then he should have put Robert back in the pod sooner. Robert was never there to provide anyone with any info. Honestly, I don't think he's a good enough actor to have faked the pain.

So this week it's Barbra who is a drama queen. Oh jesus Christ, woman, I'm an actual female Desert Storm army vet, not just a lil wifey of a soldier, and I didn't find it offensive in the slightest. She is just wanting to be offended.

For the record, I think Yaz, boring, somewhat weird about her dad, is better than Barbra. And I think Barbra would change her opinion in an instant if she knew Yaz was Muhammed Ali's daughter and had a college education.

Isaiah's naivety was begging for this fake dilemma to happen. I feel for him. He is so young.

This is another example of how Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbass clearly didn't screen these people well. Isiah is way too young to handle being a spy. He's also immature and that's part of why he's tempted by the peer pressure. For the record, I doubt we're going to catch Zach doing a crime, but thanks show, for showing the one black guy being the one to use drugs.

Ironically, Zac came off as bitchy as Barbra this episode. He sleeps in and then gets pissy over missing his breakfast. Then he gets as annoying as Barbra with the patriotism and the whole "we are marines! I don't understand why he's here, for drugs when he had all the opportunities I did and should be getting on a reality show!" routine.

Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbass continue to be as condescending as fuck.

Also what the fuck is going on in F-Pod that guards, upon smelling smoke, aren't searching racks?

• Love 8

Magnesium Citrate is just a laxative. I would think it would be pretty damn easy to administer at the very least a Fleet enema, and the jail likely even has protocols for it.  Robert, like all the other "participants" is really just full of shit.  This show is insanely, pathetically fake.  The whole premise had potential, but it's gone now as they are practically reading off cue cards.  And Barbra--honey--your husband looks to be at most 20 years old--so he really hasn't given his whole life for his country--just maybe a couple of years. Come say that when he's allowed to shave.

I hate all these people now. I thought I liked Isaiah with his shit-eating grin, but that is just as fake as the rest of the show's participants are.

• Love 7

Fuck off, Barbra.  You're a military wife, you haven't done shit for your country, your husband has while tolerating you and the kid you had when you were a teenager.  He has fought for the rights of Americans to enjoy free speech, including drawing black feet stomping on the American flag as well as the right to burn any flag you may want.  If I was Maryum, I'd draw a confederate flag and wave it at Barbra while telling her that #blacklivesmatter.  I hope that when this show is done that she tells her how she's Muhammad Ali's daughter and is not rude, but just that much better than her.

Speaking of hashtags and mobile devices, why do all the ladies in f-pod seem to have tablets?  They have computers there for commissary and skype, I'm curious if they get the tablets from the commissary?  I would never want to go to jail because I don't think I could use the bathroom in front of other people but if they have tablets and I could play some Candy Crush, I might rethink not throwing a punch after having too much to drink. 

I tend to avoid "reality" tv because I think it's crap.  I find it so weird that Tami had a skin issue last episode and ladies were breaking out in horrible rashes but this episode is all about lonely Thanksgiving and a hissy fit over free speech.  There was also Robert, but I don't care about his shit.  Once I was constipated for six days and in agony, despite that I can't sympathize with that psycho.  What happened to Boston the nurse or pod-boss put in seg Roby?  They were more interesting than our test subjects.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if the normal cameras don't have mics? 

I know they have tablets they can buy in prison so guessing the same in this jail. They can get music and jpay(like email can get pics also) on it. Not sure about games.

Good thing Barbra didn't "flip out" on Yaz like she was feeling too. Maryam surely would have gone upside Barbra's head and blown her cover. Maryam would have laid a Hella right cross combination and given herself up.  The other ladies would have known immediately anyone who punches like that must be kin to Muhammad Ali. 

I don't know what to feel about Isaiah.  If we're still pretending that this project was to weed out corruption what would have made Isaiah a good candidate as a spy? He is tragically meek and easily led.  Isaiah is the one you give your package to on the corner when the cops are coming.  He's the one you get to take the fall when you're in the wagon on the way to the precinct.   He's not built for this.  Has he even spoken to anyone but Treshawn?  If he's not w Treshawn, he's just sleeping.  He's a recent high school grad, maybe signing on to this reality show was a way to get his motheroff his back about going to school or getting a job.

Leaving with Jeff would have been his best moves.  They should have quiet cubicle jobs together.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Good thing Barbra didn't "flip out" on Yaz like she was feeling too. Maryam surely would have gone upside Barbra's head and blown her cover. Maryam would have laid a Hella right cross combination and given herself up.  The other ladies would have known immediately anyone who punches like that must be kin to Muhammad Ali. 

I don't know what to feel about Isaiah.  If we're still pretending that this project was to weed out corruption what would have made Isaiah a good candidate as a spy? He is tragically meek and easily led.  Isaiah is the one you give your package to on the corner when the cops are coming.  He's the one you get to take the fall when you're in the wagon on the way to the precinct.   He's not built for this.  Has he even spoken to anyone but Treshawn?  If he's not w Treshawn, he's just sleeping.  He's a recent high school grad, maybe signing on to this reality show was a way to get his motheroff his back about going to school or getting a job.

Leaving with Jeff would have been his best moves.  They should have quiet cubicle jobs together.

This. This is what stood out to me the most this episode and it made me so mad. Isaiah is not the kind of kid who can hold his own. WHY is he a good candidate for this program? He's not. That's why I am convinced that this show is totally fake. If they were serious about gathering intel, they would have selected people who would actually do a good job.  Isaiah, dress shoes, and Robert are horrible choices to meet their "goal" of getting insider info. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

But of course....I'll keep watching.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Robert could go back into the program; the Sheriff is just acting pissy. Real inmates get sick and go into the hospital, him giving his real name has nothing to do with the inmates inside. How would they know that Robert was at the hospital and that he gave a different name? I also want to know how they have those very close camera shots of people's hands and faces without the inmates knowing. If they are obviously filming the guys smoking the crack pipe things, doesn't it cause legal issues if they know but do nothing about it?

Real inmates get sick and have to go to the hospital, but they are accompanied by jail staff.  The jail staff here are not aware that he's not a "real" prisoner, and if they followed the protocol of transporting a prisoner to the hospital, they'd catch on to the lie, and go back and snitch. That said, they didn't explain how they got Robert out of there - did the Sheriff personally offer to transport him to the hospital?  Whoever signed him out and put him in the cruiser ended up dropping him off somewhere else.

I do wonder the same about the drug use scenes  -- zoom can do a lot if they have the rooms truly covered with cameras, but it doesn't get behind curtains at eye level.

I also don't see how they have everybody mic'd up with such good equipment that every conversation is crystal clear, without the endless background noise.  Maybe there's a lot of postproduction sound cleanup, but that seems unlikely and expensive.

Boston was in multiple scenes tonight, sitting next to new best friend Tami.  

My sister has had multiple surgeries requiring weeks of opioid medications that do a number on her GI system. Constipation at that level is no joke, and has reduced her to tears, but I don't believe for a second that he had it. When you're that bad you're crying in misery, not remembering to take a book in case you get bored.

• Love 4

As a lover of prison/jail reality shows , I was so excited when I heard about 60 Days In. It's been a big dissapointment. 

Watching Barbra run around like an immature middle school gossiping mean girl made me hate her even more . If Yaz'  supposed flag stomp pic left you so offended - go speak to her like an adult not behave like a little b^tch running to everyone but her. The husband sounds so over her when she calls him haha 

• Love 9

That was quite an epsiode.

You have that faker Robert acting like he's on his deathbed.  I bet if he went back to the pod, there would be some guy there willing to help him clean out his pooper.....lol

Barbra "the chin" is so fickle. One day she loves everyone,  the next day hates them  and then is crying at thanksgiving because she loves them again.  Then she breaks the most important rule of jail,  MYOB  with Yaz.  Maybe Yaz's father showed her some moves and she will use Barbra as a speed bag....lol

Can't wait until next week ..... :)

• Love 3

What's fake about this show are the sheriff's motives, to get information.  That's bullshit.   This is a reality show pure and simple.  It's a show to get ratings and viewers; it is not about serious motives. 

• Love 5

As an Army soldier, I understand Barbra's basic gripe - that prisoners and military personnel live very similar lives and frankly get very similar treatment from the public. Not to rant but the culture currently allows the "checking of the box" when it comes to active service and military service - "Thank you for your service" is checking the box and I know I rarely mention my military service because I volunteered, and because "thank you for your service" is the pc response that gets thrown out. Say you're a vet, and sure enough someone will mumble off a "thank you for your service" because they know if they express their real opinion - that they don't care, or that only lower class poorly educated stupes who can't find work volunteer for the military, and that people who join the military are the uncreative sort who need to be ordered around since they can't think for themselves. And there's some truth to that - the military hires people who are marginal.

I've been in the military. I won't pretend to be a super veteran, but I can tell you - there's plenty of awesome people in the service, and there's a whole lot of marginal folks who really need the structure and who fall apart when the structure is gone. For every Zac, there's at least two Brians - they have a hard time finding a job after the military because they had a hard time finding work before, and now they have issues and look, there's easy money in drugs.

To get back to Barbra - she's complaining her husband isn't being treated like a god among men when deep down, we all know the military is where you go when the judge is giving you a chance. We all know the stories of "jail or the military" - there was a Hells Kitchen dick for brains with that backstory - and the uphill battle Barbra and all military wives are fighting is that we all know the reality that the soldiers we profess to respect are often people we wouldn't consider for nice civilian jobs. Plus there's the added factor that military wives are essentially complaining it sucks to be married to someone who volunteered to work for low pay and who will be absent for lengthy periods of their marriage... and while we all get pc and thank them for their service, I suspect I am not the only one secretly rolling my eyes and thinking "grow up, you picked him, you knew he was a soldier, we all make life choices".

• Love 12

Barbara is an IDIOT. If she loves America sooooo much, why doesn't she know what the flag looks like? It doesn't have any blue stripes. Yaz's flag sure doesn't look like an American flag to me.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

... we all know the reality that the soldiers we profess to respect are often people we wouldn't consider for nice civilian jobs. Plus there's the added factor that military wives are essentially complaining it sucks to be married to someone who volunteered to work for low pay and who will be absent for lengthy periods of their marriage... and while we all get pc and thank them for their service, I suspect I am not the only one secretly rolling my eyes and thinking "grow up, you picked him, you knew he was a soldier, we all make life choices".

Sorry, but also as a veteran and with MANY friends and family as veterans, I don't agree with this at all nor being called marginal.  I actually don't think that employers feel this way, either.  As a matter of fact, the military is what got me my job because I didn't have a college degree but I had military experience instead.  I'm not sure if I'm really understanding your point, so I guess I'll agree to disagree.  I guess what I'm basically saying is that the military is just like anywhere else- there are all walks of life with many different motivations for joining.

And while it is free speech, I hate the flag stompers not because I hold the flag itself in such high regard but because those people are entitled brats who think they are so cool to stomp on the flag but they are only able to express their opinions as they do BECAUSE of the military and government we have.  While Barbra, as usual, did go over the top with her whining about it (I personally would not have said anything), what I think my biggest issue is that Maryum is pretending like that wasn't what she meant.  What other POSSIBLE reason could there be to even have a foot of any kind in a picture of a heart that had no other body parts?   Then, to have it on top of an American flag (which she explained was supposed to be the American flag even if it didn't actually look like one)?  So, yes it was Maryum's right as free speech to do so- she should've just owned up to it.

• Love 8

How is that Barbra's mother?  She's so pretty and sweet!  At times even she looked exasperated by Barbra.  

Robert, you will forever be the asshole full of shit.  I think you should have joined the general population instead! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Brooklynista said:

Okay, this made me literally laugh out loud!

Did anyone count the number of times the editing monkeys made sure to plug in (haha) the word "constipation?"

Wasn't it around a dozen times?  If we count "prune juice" as euphemism for "constipation" I bet it was.

Don't they have Metamucil? 

15 hours ago, slasherboy said:

How can Amber come into the pod and immediately be the pod boss.  Shouldn't a person have to work up to that distinguishing position?

Perhaps she's a repeater. When I was in, there were a few women who came and went. Granted they weren't that powerful, but, if the other inmates are repeaters as well, then they know their place in the pecking order. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, wirebitersm said:

I'm wondering if the normal cameras don't have mics? 

I wondered about mics, too. I think mics are almost more valuable than video, especially if you're looking for evidence of plotting to bring in contraband, or planning to beat someone up.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, DNR said:

Another jail show goes into my DVR rotation - I'm obsessed. Wonder if it will have a forum 

I saw your post and looked for 24 to Life on Comcast On Demand. I finally found it listed under LMN Movies, which makes no sense. At any rate, I watched all four that were available and thought it was very good.

Thanks for the tip!

• Love 2

Without knowing anything about Brian's backstory at all, I have to wonder if it has something to do with being wounded and getting hooked on pain meds.

Without knowing anything about Brian's backstory at all, I have to wonder if it has something to do with being wounded and getting hooked on pain meds.

• Love 2

It will be interesting to hear Maryum's eventual take on the picture, because as much as I wanted to think Barbra was seeing things... I saw it too.  Now, I don't pretend to know what she intended, but that was not a "scribble" that somehow got interpreted as a foot.  

She's lucky that not only does Barbra not know she's in the program, but Barbra likely has never heard of Cassius Clay, or his Vietnam stand.  I can only imagine how she'd salivate over that and twist it as unpatriotic. I think it was quite the opposite, but I really wouldn't want it debated by this brain trust.  

Kudos to Mr. Barbra for dismissing it as a free speech issue, and not buying into her drama.  Barbra pitched her character for the show as conservative-small-town-bedrock-of-America-young-mom-with-soldier-husband-who-deserves-more-respect.  Not so much that HE deserves more respect, but that she deserves it based on being married to him.  I suspect he recognizes the phoniness of the entire exercise and sees this as one more reason for her to ditch her kids and go off, this time by wrapping herself in the flag and personal martyrdom to HIS service. I wouldn't throw out that bit about the kids except that both he and her own mother have alluded to her maybe not being so much of a devoted wife and mom.  

• Love 7

Sorry, but also as a veteran and with MANY friends and family as veterans, I don't agree with this at all nor being called marginal.  I actually don't think that employers feel this way, either. 

In fairness, I am not calling you or ALL vets marginal, I am a vet myself and consider myself quite up there!

However, I do think employers feel this way, we wouldn't have a veteran employment problem if all the sheep who reflexively mutter "thank you for your service" actually felt that. And the reason most employers don't jump for vets is because the military isn't known for only taking the cream of the crop - they take marginal people and sometimes turn them around... and a lot of times don't. Unlike the military, my current employer and most employers don't have a "You can take a job here or you can accept the court's jail sentence" program, and there's a reason - most places don't have the time or money to deal with marginal people.

I'm willing to bet if polled, the prisoners in that jail are 25 to 30 percent veterans, and the number would be higher if we counted the ones who get the boot early, contracts nullified because they couldn't handle the military or who lied about stuff to get in.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I'm willing to bet if polled, the prisoners in that jail are 25 to 30 percent veterans, and the number would be higher if we counted the ones who get the boot early, contracts nullified because they couldn't handle the military or who lied about stuff to get in.

Thank you for your clarification. I think your rating plays an important part in the employment opportunities. I was a Yeoman (clerical) so while not glamorous, it set me up perfectly for an office job for the stat I live in- a job I've had for 20 years. My husband is also a vet and is a firefighter. A large percentage of vets are civil servants, I've noticed. The part I quoted really intrigued me so and I was inclined to agree with you. A quick Google search says that number is closer to 10%. [ETA: that's an old statistic  it probably is closer to,the numbers stated above].  

But in context of this show- Barbra is ridiculous, immature and stupid. Isaiah is ill-equipped to be in there, Robert is cuckoo for Coco Puffs, Tami is a power-hungry control freak, Myrum thinks she's more famous than she is, Zac is ... There. I don't know why I'm still watching this. Lol. 

• Love 6

No worries, and I absolutely agree with you about ratings, or as we called them in the army, MOS, being a significant factor in life after the military. I was a 91A - a field medic (tho I think that particular MOS has warped into something else) during Desert Storm, and most of the people in my unit were pretty on the ball, but the 11B sorts (aka infantry) aren't leaving with a saleable skill. Please don't think I am running down the military - an ROTC scholarship paid for my education and if I didn't develop hypothyroidism my senior year, my career would have been much different. But there's not a huge employer market for the Brians of this world and part of that is that people really don't mean that obligatory pc "thank you for your service".

The cast is ridiculous and Barbra's moaning about how she's a military wife and the prisoners are compensated better than her and "OMG someone drew something vaguely offensive I can't handle it someone fetch me my smelling salts I am so offended on behalf of AMERICA!!" grates because you know what? If you love America so much, maybe sign up yourself - women are allowed now and have been for some time. Or you know, do your part by diddly bopping around a jail on a reality show getting offended over nothing.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Man, I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that Robert tapped out. Man, I never would have guessed that would happen.

Robert, sweetie, you're always full of shit.

Barbra is a loon.

I agree with your Barbara assessment.  I don't think she's playing with a full deck either.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, PityFree said:

My guess is that perhaps only nurses or other medical personnel can administer any medications - even over-the-counter. So, maybe that's why Robert only got prune juice?

I think you're right about that - I'm guessing it's similar to last week when the female inmate was stuck in F-Pod because there were no members of medical staff available to look at her rash. I do remember last week that they told Robert he had to start with prune juice to see if that would work before he got anything stronger, and he said he wanted the strongest stuff first, but the woman on duty said "No, you must have the prune juice first", so they probably also see if the cheapest option works first. 

Regarding Maryum and Barbra, I wonder if something happened between the two of them that we haven't seen on screen. When Barbra called her husband, the first thing she said was "Remember that rude woman I was telling you about?" (in regards to Maryum), but I don't think we've ever seen Barbra describe her that way before, and I don't think we've seen any tension between them at all until the picture. But something must've happened, because Barbra's husband knew exactly who she meant, and sighed in a way that seemed to indicate she complained about that person a lot. 

I did find myself wondering why Maryum didn't just draw another picture for Amy if she "messed up" the first one. Or just make the flag bigger or something. I don't think the foot on th flag was on purpose, because I can't see any reason why she would do that, it just seems...short-sighted and odd. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1
On April 29, 2016 at 9:48 PM, slasherboy said:

Right? I need to see a resume before I let this one come prancing in and become boss just like that.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:44 PM, DNR said:

Yes!  I even gave up my beloved Jimmy Kimmel's monologue to watch the second half, and that's BIG!  Love me some JK.  I'm obsessed too and looked for (and didn't find) a forum.  I just can't imagine knowing that tomorrow morning I'm going to prison for 10 years.  Thanks for bringing this up.

Edited by slasherboy
Used a wrong word.
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

34 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Right? I need to see a resume before I let this one come prancing in and become boss just like that.

Well, it's just jail. Not a group of lifers in prison who have a social ladder to climb. They simply take what they can before they either get bailed out or get a court date.. If she came in and took charge and no one stopped her, that is that.

Edited by Chewy101
11 hours ago, PityFree said:

Barbara is an IDIOT. If she loves America sooooo much, why doesn't she know what the flag looks like? It doesn't have any blue stripes. Yaz's flag sure doesn't look like an American flag to me.

Sounds like Yaz is the idiot to me because she said it was the American flag.  If she put blue stripes on in, then that's pathetic.

35 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:
On 4/29/2016 at 10:48 PM, slasherboy said:

Well, it's just jail. Not a group of lifers in prison who have a ladder to climb. They simply take what they can before they either get bailed out or get a court date.. If she came in and took charge and no one stopped her, that is that.

Edited by Chewy101
My apologies. Everything I touched got so wonky that I just created a double post. New site has its glitches....
6 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

[...] people really don't mean that obligatory pc "thank you for your service".

This bums me out.  Based on the people I know who are now out of the service, military service seems pretty much like you risk your life and you're likely to get a raw deal in exchange.  So even though it's not entirely comfortable for me to lay a personal sentiment on a stranger, I do say "thank you for your service." 

I put it out there, when it would be easier to keep quiet, because for people from my generation, it's important to make sure not one single veteran ever gets a reception like the men who came back from Vietnam.

Is there something else someone could say to you that would be more convincing as an acknowledgement that you volunteered to do something difficult?

• Love 11
13 hours ago, PityFree said:

My guess is that perhaps only nurses or other medical personnel can administer any medications - even over-the-counter. So, maybe that's why Robert only got prune juice?

I think you are right. Also, I'm guessing the medical staff is not in the facility nights or weekends. In last epi when the guard brought him the first round of prune juice, it seemed to me like the guard was on the phone previously with the on-call/night shift  nurse. Robert relented and said at first he didn't want to go to the hospital, but then the next day (or 2nd day, no time concept), he starts freaking out again. Deputy Stankface came in the place in street clothes, so I'm thinking he was already off-duty. Which means the medical staff were most probably not on site at the jail. 

I work as a nurse, and from experience, I know that nurses and docs are the ones that make the decision to transfer an inmate to the hospital. If Robert was leaving the facility on the weekend or at night, without a physical assessment and transfer request from medical personnel, that would raise questions as it does not follow protocol. Also, under normal transfer circumstances, if he was a real prisoner, he would have had to go with 2 guards, give his real name/medical history,  and been chained to his hospital bed at all times. No book, no visits, no change of clothes. He would be guarded around the clock, probably necessitating overtime and weekend pay for the guards. Bringing him back would also involve more paperwork, cost, and intake flags. All that has the potential for discovery of the program, so Deputy Stankface did make the right call to boot him. Plus Robert is a general PIA so I think the Deputy was over his drama and ready for him to leave. 

I'm looking forward to the next epi when the Sheriff and Deputy call him out. Even though they never show the entire debrief, it may be just the dressing down that Robert deserves. If this show returns next year, I truly hope they  have legit contenders and not famewhores and lame-whores. 

I think there are boom mic operators in the jail pods when the camera crew is in there. They probably also ask questions of everyone in the pod to get the storylines. 

The guard that came in during the women's smoking tobacco was so out of shape and disinterested, she could have been overpowered and beaten if the women felt like it. I'm surprised she came in there alone at night. No search, no repercussions...wow. She is so unmotivated, maybe she was even napping. Wonder if the CERT team is going to do a raid of the women's pod the next day. 

Regarding Maryum and the foot, to me it looked more like the foot was beside the flag than stomping the flag. She could have fixed her mistake prior to giving it to Amy. Maybe even drawn another one.

I think boredom creates most of the issues in the pods. I can tell the Sherif what's up just from watching this season. Idle hands are the devils playground. The prisoners need something to do...they don't have exercise or yard time except once a week,  they don't have Industries, classes or any programs. It is just one slow, monotonous day after the next, broken up by commissary chow time, petty drama and fights. If I was in that jail, I would do drugs just to keep me in a daze until the sentence was over. Plus,  he needs more guards, they are wholefully understaffed. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Where were all of the inmates when Isaiah was acting as lookout while Treshawn stole the Kool-aid?

Milling around. Doing what they usually do. The only inmate Treshawn had to worry about was the one who owns the stuff. No one else will tell on Treshawn. (The exception would be if he stole from a gang member, and there were other gang members in the pod.)

This bums me out.  Based on the people I know who are now out of the service, military service seems pretty much like you risk your life and you're likely to get a raw deal in exchange.  So even though it's not entirely comfortable for me to lay a personal sentiment on a stranger, I do say "thank you for your service." 

I put it out there, when it would be easier to keep quiet, because for people from my generation, it's important to make sure not one single veteran ever gets a reception like the men who came back from Vietnam.

I'm only speaking for myself right now. I would never be rude to someone who said this to me, but I think it's very *easy* to make the obligatory remark to someone like me - all four limbs, no obvious scars, and no obvious mental or employment issues, and who was never treated like a Vietnam era baby killer vet. I was a volunteer in an all volunteer force, I have no angst about being drafted and then shit on by people who were lucky enough to avoid the draft. Its uncomfortable being a stand in for the Vietnam vets when I know they STILL DON'T get any recognition.

And like I said, its so easy to say it to me in a casual stranger setting as I am a perfectly functional person with no disabilities. Its uncomfortable because the people who do need to hear it don't hear it enough. I also concede some of my dislike of it is wrapped up in my own beliefs on the topic - I volunteered to serve because I felt I owed a duty to my country. I did what I felt was right, and to be honest, I was pretty well compensated in both the warm rush of patriotism, and well, benefits and money. I don't need to be constantly thanked for something I felt was my obligation as a citizen. I'm also cynical enough to note how "but thank you for your service" is an easy pc remark politicians make to allow them to insist they weren't disrespecting vets while saying whatever. Finally, I don't like it because I feel like I can't mention being in the military without making it an appeal for attention - if you mention you're a veteran, everyone around you has to stop whatever conversation they are having and thank you or else its assumed they hate veterans... because they have to check the box or else. I can't mention I was in the army without this happening - it makes me feel awkward, like I am forcing people to compliment me.

On topic - the jail's problem is that it's overcrowded and understaffed and these problems are all obvious from the get go. If there was less crowding, there would be fewer conflicts. There would also be less drug use if there were guards more visible. Don't even get me started on the women's dorm where the guard behaved so ineffectually.

However, as bored as everyone complains of being, the reality is that there's huge churn in jails so its unrealistic to offer courses and rehabilitation to inmates who haven't even been sentenced yet. There's also the unpleasant reality that some of these prisoners can't be trusted with anything that can be made into a weapon so there's not going to be classes.

The biggest problem is the drugs coming into the jail and BECAUSE the inmates churn in and out, Sheriff Idiot is focusing on the WRONG element - the inmates aren't manufacturing meth inside the jail, its coming in from outside.

• Love 4