Type keyword(s) to search

King Of The Hill - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Anyone else a Buck Strickland fan? 

Bobby and Joseph want expensive jeans, and decide instead of working that it's "cool" to become panhandlers. The look on Hank's face when he sees them begging on the corner was hilarious!

And I have to re-watch this one. I missed Hank's expression... Yep...

• Love 1

Anyone else a Buck Strickland fan?

Buck is a mess!  I just saw the one where he gets banned from the strip club, so he decides to make Strickland Propane "fun" instead.

Seems like I remember that Buck was married at one point, did he ever get divorced?  Miss Liz, isn't that Buck's wife?

• Love 1

I love when Peggy finds out Nancy is cheating on Dale with John Redcorn:

To me this is one of the great, ongoing visual gags of this show: presenting Joseph as Dale's son mostly without comment.  Dale's devotion to Joseph is what makes him a lovable character in spite of his general, rampant paranoia.

• Love 3

Buck is a mess!  I just saw the one where he gets banned from the strip club, so he decides to make Strickland Propane "fun" instead.

Seems like I remember that Buck was married at one point, did he ever get divorced?  Miss Liz, isn't that Buck's wife?

I think he's still married, lol. Ms. Liz was up on a murder charge at one time but I think they proved she didn't do it. I amy be wrong, though.

Yep, I saw the banned from the strip club too and it had me cracking up. I love the lines they give him. 

Ms. Liz was up on a murder charge at one time but I think they proved she didn't do it. I amy be wrong, though

No, you're right.  She was charged with murdering Debbie, the girl they found in a dumpster outside that restaurant.  I can't remember if Buck was cheating with Debbie but I believe that was the scenario....in the same episode I think, Hank accidentally takes a hit off a joint and is horrified :)  In his stoned state, he is the one who discovers the body, lol. 

No, you're right.  She was charged with murdering Debbie, the girl they found in a dumpster outside that restaurant.  I can't remember if Buck was cheating with Debbie but I believe that was the scenario....in the same episode I think, Hank accidentally takes a hit off a joint and is horrified :)  In his stoned state, he is the one who discovers the body, lol. 

Is that the same episode where Hank and by extension Peggy take over Buck's BBQ restaurant? 

Yup, he was cheating, that's why he and Ms Liz separate.  And then he dumps Debbie (I'm a little fuzzy on why - I think it's to get back together with Ms Liz so that she doesn't get everything in the divorce), so she tries to make Buck jealous by hitting on Hank, and when that doesn't work, she tries to kill Buck (which is then how she dies).

And yup Kel Varnsen, that's when Peggy takes over Sugarfoot's.

Awesome. Is that all the episode where Miss. Liz takes over Strickland Propane, and promotes Hank from assistant manager to manager? I really need to watch this show again, my sister gave me the first 2 seasons on dvd because she didn't want them. I have actually never played them.

Is that all the episode where Miss. Liz takes over Strickland Propane, and promotes Hank from assistant manager to manager?

No. pretty sure that's a separate episode.

In one of them, Miss Liz puts the moves on Hank, you might be thinking of that one.

• Love 1

It just makes me so happy that other people still love this show enough to talk about it! I love (many episodes of) South Park and The Simpsons as well, but this sadly underrated show is my favorite of any adult animated series ever---and definitely one of my all-time top 5-10 shows overall. (And I watch A LOT of TV!) Some of my favorites include Hilloween, Three Days of the Kahndo, Junkie Business, Nine Pretty Darn Angry Men, Revenge of the Lutefisk, Death and Taxes, Peggy's Magic Sex Feet, Lupe's Revenge, The Substitute Spanish Prisoner, The Witches of East Arlen, Church Hopping, and many, many others. While there are obviously some episodes I'm relatively meh about, there are surprisingly few that I outright dislike or will ever skip.

Peggy is the main character who bugs me the most---unfounded arrogance is just always more irksome than entertaining to me---but even she has a lot of great moments, and while looking over the episode list I was surprised by how many of the episodes I love happen to be fairly Peggy-heavy episodes. I absolutely love pretty much all Bill, Dale, Hank  and Boomhauer scenes. (I agree with whoever said awhile ago that Dale is actually a pretty awful person, but I adore him as a TV character.) I'm also a big fan of most of the 'minor' characters like Kahn, John Redcorn, etc.  

This show never got nearly enough credit for its awesomeness, IMO. It employs so many different types of humor, created a lot of really multi-dimensional, distinctive characters, manages to be genuinely sweet and heartwarming without being cloying, is surprisingly smart and thought-provoking about certain issues (such as when it mocks certain sociopolitical extremism on either side) and holds up so, so well for me over time and with repeated viewings. 

I record the reruns, but just writing this post is making me feel that I 'need' to own the DVDs :) 

• Love 3

Dale digs an underground tunnel to Hank's house. After Hank falls through and angrily begins repairs to his floor, he accidentally severs Dale's finger with a power saw.

Hospital orderlies, as Hank and Dale argue: "This might be a domestic abuse situation."

Dale, to Hank: "If you had your way, you'd fill my buddy tunnel with cement  so that no one else could use it!"

I swear I just got this.

• Love 4
(edited)

No, you're right.  She was charged with murdering Debbie, the girl they found in a dumpster outside that restaurant.  I can't remember if Buck was cheating with Debbie but I believe that was the scenario....in the same episode I think, Hank accidentally takes a hit off a joint and is horrified :)  In his stoned state, he is the one who discovers the body, lol

Maybe I don't remember, but I thought Peggy discovered the body?  Wasn't she making sauce in the restaurant, heres the gunshot, and goes outside and later finds the body in the dumpster?  Because I remember Hank wandering out of the apartment complex "stoned", Peggy's already with authorities as Hank goes by the restaurant and my favorite moment, Peggy yelling for Hank, "HAAAAANKKK!"....in the background.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ms. Liz was up on a murder charge at one time but I think they proved she didn't do it.

For only appearing in one episode, although mentioned off and on throughout the series, Ms. Liz has always been one of my favorite characters.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
  • Love 1

I just finished watching 'Pretty pretty dresses', the one where Bill totally loses it and thinks that he's Lenore.  The scene where the guys are in the alley drinking beer and saying their usual 'uh huh's/yeps' and Bill chimes in with a 'uh huh' In that falsetto voice (while wearing a dress and big hat), which makes Hank say 'All right. That's enough!' always makes me crack up.

• Love 5

I just finished watching 'Ho yeah!' where the new employee at Strickland turns out to be a hooker from Oklahoma City.  Hank and Peggy are so naïve, not figuring out what she was doing.  I loved the scene where Hank pretends to be her pimp to get rid of her former pimp Alabaster Jones (played by Snoop Dogg). And when Jones accuses him of keeping some money back:

Hank:  'I am the Mack Daddy of Heimlich County.  I play it straight up, yo!  You get the hell out of my 'hood.  She's my ho now!'  (It doesn't read really funny, but it sounds much better if you 'read' it with Hank's voice and mannerism!)

I wish I had recorded it.  They said 'ho' a lot during that episode! (mainly Snoop Dogg)

• Love 1

(Buck to Mz Liz)

"Got-dang it, Mz Liz! L'eggo my Eggos! I'm Sorry you had to hear that Mz Liz."

(Dale supposedly calling Peggy anonymously)

"You don't know who I am, but I know where you live. And if you teach that class, Sex Ed Teacher, I will make you pay."

(Don't remember who Hank is addressing with this quote, but it still cracks me up)

"A poodle? Why don't you just get me a cat and a sex change operation?"

• Love 2

I was driving back from a trip today and as I was driving along an interstate there were two billboards that caught my eye.  One was for a lawyer that you 'call when you slip and fall'.  I immediately thought of Lucky and how he got a settlement from 'slipping on peepee at the Costco'.  Later, I saw one for a discount shoe warehouse that advertised that they had shoes up to size 16 for men and size 12 for women.  I then thought that Peggy would have been out of luck at that place (I did see the warehouse later on, because it was a big gold-painted building right next to the interstate.  The parking lot was packed).  I loved the episode where Peggy went to the store and met the drag queen (I forgot his name.  I wish he had been on more episodes as Peggy's friend).

I think I've watched too much 'King of the Hill', since it's beginning to intrude into my travels.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

I was driving back from a trip today and as I was driving along an interstate there were two billboards that caught my eye.  One was for a lawyer that you 'call when you slip and fall'.  I immediately thought of Lucky and how he got a settlement from 'slipping on peepee at the Costco'.  Later, I saw one for a discount shoe warehouse that advertised that they had shoes up to size 16 for men and size 12 for women.  I then thought that Peggy would have been out of luck at that place (I did see the warehouse later on, because it was a big gold-painted building right next to the interstate.  The parking lot was packed).  I loved the episode where Peggy went to the store and met the drag queen (I forgot his name.  I wish he had been on more episodes as Peggy's friend).

I think I've watched too much 'King of the Hill', since it's beginning to intrude into my travels.

There is no such thing as watching too much King of the Hill.  

Side note - not until I watched some early episodes recently did I realize that Brittany Murphy was the voice of Joseph before he hit puberty.  I guess I never paid attention before, but then all of a sudden, I realized that Luann and Joseph were sounding very alike.

• Love 1

"Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man."

My husband had a shirt with that, and Boomhauer's picture on it long ago, lol.

Earlier today, I was listening to an episode of the podcast Doug Loves Movies, and Toby Huss was one of the guests. What I knew was that he was the voice of Cotton; what I did not know was that he was also the voice of Khan AND he was Artie: The Strongest Man in the World on The Adventures of Pete and Pete. My mind is BLOWN right about now. 

• Like 1

This might be the most underrated show of all time! Even friends I have who love shows like The Simpsons had never watched King of the Hill, which is such a shame because KoTH is so smart, insightful, warmhearted without being sappy and has better character definition than you'll find on most non-cartoon shows. I actually love it even more than The Simpsons and South Park and find KotH holds up even better over time than I had hoped. Or maybe I'm telling myself that so that I can feel like those DVD sets I bought were a worthwhile purchase! :)

I love every episode mentioned in this thread as favorites. I also love Hilloween, Traffic Jam, Revenge of the Lutefisk, Death and Taxes, Lupe's Revenge, The Substitute Spanish Prisoner and so many others. If I had to pick just one favorite season, it would probably be S6, which is funny since by then most of my other favorite shows have started sliding downhill if they're still on the air at all. 

Peggy used to annoy me, but at some point I grew to love her and find that a lot of Peggy-centered episodes are favorites of mine. 

Cotton is the one character I can only take in very small doses, and I'm not the hugest Nancy fan either (though at first her flagrant affair with John Redcorn and Dale's obliviousness to it was amusing), but I love literally almost everyone else. I loved Connie and always wanted to see more of her. 

• Love 6

The show was very enjoyable for years, I think the problem happened during the last 3 years as Fox kept renewing the series last minute because Mike Judge said he had to keep writing the show to get to a wrap up for the last four years it was on. He didn't want to be suddenly cancelled and not give the show a fitting end. Originally that was suppose to be Luanne and Lucky getting married, and that was delayed two years and they decided to air it and have Luanne give birth. Of course they had killed Cotton off by then and was basically to get Fox to stop renewing the show since they were running out of ideas and had used all 12 unused scripts over the last 5 years. Least with the final episode, it game a sense of conclusion and even had Hank end with accepting who Bobby was.

I love that episode where he tries to teach Bobby about life and how eating a corn chip fresh off the line is a life changing experience. I wish I could get KOTH streaming somewhere since I would love to watch that episode again.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2017 at 6:58 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I love that episode where he tries to teach Bobby about life and how eating a corn chip fresh off the line is a life changing experience. I wish I could get KOTH streaming somewhere since I would love to watch that episode again.

We watch the show on istreamitall.com which is great. 

The show really does hold up. We introduced it to our 10 yr old recently and are on season 5. every episode, the family hears me say "oh this is a great episode." It's become silly when i say it but so true! I love watching Peggy think her big feet are beautiful and spa-peggy and meatballs! Lol. Bobby is the best tv kid around. A complete oddball, but kind and sweet, with a girlfriend! Ha! My son now wanders about impersonating the characters. His Bobby is spot on but i die every time he does hank saying "bwah!" in surprise! 

• Love 4
On 11/1/2018 at 12:01 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

The whole series is now streaming on Hulu! Yay!

I hope this brings out a new generation of fans.  But although the show holds up very well, I'm afraid some of the younger fans may not get some of the references.  Here's an example:

At one time, everybody was showing outtakes and bloopers, either as a stand-alone episode during the season, or by placing a few at the end of each episode.  King of the Hill lampooned this by showing outtakes of their own.  

In one, Luanne's boobs accidentally pop out of her shirt.  You hear Hank's voice off screen saying,  "You don't need to do that, Luanne.  You already have the part!"

And it takes a minute to remember-- It's an animation!  By definition, they can't have bloopers.   They had to draw it that way.

Makes you wonder how they come up with some of this stuff.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked