Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Kayla & Courtney

Was it just me...or did this eppi have no follow up.

I am not sure what to make of this one.  I still don't fully buy the benevolent medium angle...but there were specifics that seemed to throw even those in the know off.

• Love 2

What I mostly got out of that story is that was a very tragic family.  I felt badly for Kayla and her Aunt's misguided attempts to still keep some "secrets".  Misguided only because Kayla already seemed to be getting those secrets from somewhere else.  I don't blame her Aunt from trying to keep some hard facts from the kids, though.  The only time I didn't feel much sympathy for Kayla was when she was crying and saying "Why did God do this to me?".  Like, hello.  She has a sister and other family members.  It was done to all of them.  But, she's young so I give her a bit of a pass.

As for Courtney- I don't know what to think.  I usually don't believe in people talking to dead people but Courtney had a lot of information that I don't know how she would've gotten otherwise.  I am less suspicious than Nev and Max were about why Courtney herself.  If this is true- Frankie was probably drawn to her as the only person (or closest in proximity??) who could hear him.  Mostly I just don't know what to think, lol.

As for the lack of follow-up, I didn't mind that was missing.  First off, the episode already ran 30 minutes over.  Secondly, it was a different situation than most and it would be quite obvious that they are still in contact. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, GenL said:

As for Courtney- I don't know what to think.  I usually don't believe in people talking to dead people but Courtney had a lot of information that I don't know how she would've gotten otherwise. 

Courtney could have gotten that information from one of Frankie's relatives or somebody he had dated (or been cheating with, given that there's dirt being kept from Kayla).

• Love 4

True.  I'm thinking this through a little bit more.  Hasn't it been said before that it's the Catfisher that contacts the show?  At first I couldn't see Courtney's motive, but I just realized what it is if she was the one who initiated it.  There are reality shows about mediums and also money in it so if it was her that contacted the show money is her motive after all. 

It still feels like a lot of work to interview tons of people in Frankie's life for that info.  Wouldn't someone have said something to the family about some stranger asking all these questions?  Idk.  I'm not saying I believe it hook-line-and-sinker, but there's still a lot wonky about this situation.

Based on her reveal that Frankie had had an affair with a foster mother, my theory of Courtney is that she knew Frankie as a child from the foster care system. I would imagine that she decided to look him up online a few years ago, found this very tragic story, and wanted to reach out to the family in some fashion. I can only imagine she then chose the persona of a psychic because of her own issues.

That's a lot of supposing based on a small piece of information, I know, but I don't buy that Courtney is genuinely psychic, and I am extremely disappointed in the show for not doing any kind of research on her background. Just because she isn't profiting monetarily from this arrangement doesn't mean she isn't harming Kayla and Shannon, who seem like kind, if extremely naive people. Courtney's continued involvement with them is weird and unhealthy (based on my years of experience not being any kind of therapist.)

I would also guess that a lot of "Frankie" 's animosity toward Shannon is due to Kayla at some point revealing to Courtney that Shannon doesn't trust Courtney. I am also not a medium, but from having watched The Ghost Whisperer for many years on Ion, I'm pretty sure you're not required to tell someone that a spirit called them a bitch. Especially when your claim is that you're speaking with the spirit, not possessed by them.

I really hope the show does some kind of follow-up on this, and finds out exactly what Courtney's deal is, because this ending was extremely unsatisfying to me.

• Love 8

WTF. My DVR (which recorded until 11:03pm) cut this episode off while they were in the park. This episode seemed to be trying way too hard to go for an eerie theme. Nev and Max both seemed extra bitchy through the entire thing, especially in the park standing there with stank ass looks on their faces while Kayla looked like she was about to puke and pass out.

I think this episode might be Catfish's shark-jump. Just my opinion of course.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HelloOutThere said:

WTF. My DVR (which recorded until 11:03pm) cut this episode off while they were in the park.

Mine too, I thought it had just cut off the last minute of the show at first (which is does all the time) but when I looked it up I realized it cut off the last half hour. Really annoying, but I watched the rest of it later on.

I don't know what to think about this episode, I'm not a believer or a disbeliever, but it was actually interesting to have an episode that didn't involve a fat person at the end.

• Love 3

Dead people do not talk to living people.  Period.  That would go against all laws of nature.  Funny how the dead people NEVER talk to the relatives- only to unrelated third parties.

Everybody was in on this.  To be on television.  That's the magic. There's your answer. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

WTF. My DVR (which recorded until 11:03pm) cut this episode off while they were in the park. This episode seemed to be trying way too hard to go for an eerie theme. Nev and Max both seemed extra bitchy through the entire thing, especially in the park standing there with stank ass looks on their faces while Kayla looked like she was about to puke and pass out.

I think this episode might be Catfish's shark-jump. Just my opinion of course.

I agree with this.  It seemed like a classic jump the shark moment.  A new "twist" to get buzz and interest.  Going way over the top with the twist (the creepy music for a raccoon).  And the fact that most of the story was boring.  I think this is the first Catfish in a while where I just fast forwarded through the end.

Catfish's unique and original formula revealing "wrong weight, wrong gender, wrong age, or all three," is the bedrock the show is built on.  Sure, every once in a while you can throw in someone that is actually who they say they are.....but this show didn't have to go the M.Night Shamalyan route.

The most interesting thing about this episode was how bedazzled the aunt's jeans were.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Lesia said:

Dead people do not talk to living people.  Period.  That would go against all laws of nature.  Funny how the dead people NEVER talk to the relatives- only to unrelated third parties.

Everybody was in on this.  To be on television.  That's the magic. There's your answer. 

I could not agree more. There has never been a "psychic" that wasn't fake. Ever. They disgust me because they prey on the emotions of people and manipulate them for attention, or money, or reasons we don't even know.  Whatever this Courtney is up to, it's not good.

• Love 13
46 minutes ago, Lesia said:

9 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I could not agree more. There has never been a "psychic" that wasn't fake. Ever. They disgust me because they prey on the emotions of people and manipulate them for attention, or money, or reasons we don't even know.  Whatever this Courtney is up to, it's not good.

I agree, too, and this was absolutely the shark jump moment for me. Courtney's whole personality seemed so fake and she was so clearly a con artist that it actually pissed me off when both Nev and Max were all "I believe her!" These "psychics" who emotionally manipulate grieving people are just despicable. Watching someone as naive and willing to believe as Kayla buy into this utter bullshit just made me sad and angry for her. And for Nev and Max to go along with it all for shock value and ratings made me lose whatever respect I had for them.

I guess the "good" alternative would be that everyone is on it and it was an entirely made up story for TV. At least that way no one was having their emotions screwed with, but it's not what this show is supposed to be and it just really irritates me.

• Love 8

I thought Courtney looked like a close relative of Kayla. I couldn't believe no one pointed out how similar they looked. It made me wonder if she was a "long lost relative"-- possibly a sibling of the dead parents? Aunt Shannon might not have known, because many times siblings are separated during foster care. Or Auntie might have been in on the whole set up and just playing the skeptic's role.

If Kayla was raised by her father's mother, then at some point that woman was not considered able to raise her OWN kids, because why else would they be in foster care? I felt a big part of the story was missing with regard to all of that.

Maybe grandma was in touch with Courtney, and feeding her info. She could have done it because she genuinely thought it would be good for Kayla to have "a positive relationship with her dead father/my dead son"-- misguided though I think that would be. I thought it was remarkable that Grandma never appeared on camera at all. No one ever questioned anything about her, or whether Courtney knew any of the relatives, and I thought she was the obvious source of info from the very beginning.

Maybe the racoon was a stunt animal planted by the show. That's how little I trust any of this.

And I actually don't have a problem with the idea of talking to dead people (or dead people talking to live people), in theory. But I've never known it to be that prolonged and detailed, or that a dead person would talk to a random stranger. People all over the world have on-going relationships with ancestors. It's mostly a white idea that only delusional crazies do it. But this Catfish episode struck me as lacking credibility anyway. Too many obvious questions unasked and unanswered, and too many things that don't add up.

And if Courtney really did get herself checked out by a shrink, I'd have loved to have the show interview that person. Why did they just believe her about that?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BeatrixK said:

Was it just me...or did this eppi have no follow up.

It didn't, but you can watch it here: http://www.mtv.com/video-clips/ukk8of/catfish-the-tv-show-beyond-the-catfish-kayla-and-courtney

There's also this gem about afterlife custody: http://www.mtv.com/video-clips/edqvfc/catfish-the-tv-show-beyond-the-catfish-afterlife-joint-custody-of-kayla

This whole episode felt off to me. I didn't trust Courtney at all. So now I'm wondering if just Courtney is behind the fraud, the entire family made this up to be on TV, of whether Catfish is entirely scripted. 

Edited by emily842752
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I thought Courtney looked like a close relative of Kayla. I couldn't believe no one pointed out how similar they looked. It made me wonder if she was a "long lost relative"-- possibly a sibling of the dead parents? Aunt Shannon might not have known, because many times siblings are separated during foster care. Or Auntie might have been in on the whole set up and just playing the skeptic's role.

If Kayla was raised by her father's mother, then at some point that woman was not considered able to raise her OWN kids, because why else would they be in foster care? I felt a big part of the story was missing with regard to all of that.

Maybe grandma was in touch with Courtney, and feeding her info. She could have done it because she genuinely thought it would be good for Kayla to have "a positive relationship with her dead father/my dead son"-- misguided though I think that would be. I thought it was remarkable that Grandma never appeared on camera at all. No one ever questioned anything about her, or whether Courtney knew any of the relatives, and I thought she was the obvious source of info from the very beginning.

Maybe the racoon was a stunt animal planted by the show. That's how little I trust any of this.

And I actually don't have a problem with the idea of talking to dead people (or dead people talking to live people), in theory. But I've never known it to be that prolonged and detailed, or that a dead person would talk to a random stranger. People all over the world have on-going relationships with ancestors. It's mostly a white idea that only delusional crazies do it. But this Catfish episode struck me as lacking credibility anyway. Too many obvious questions unasked and unanswered, and too many things that don't add up.

And if Courtney really did get herself checked out by a shrink, I'd have loved to have the show interview that person. Why did they just believe her about that?

I wondered about why Frankie was in foster care and if Shannon was in foster care also and how Grandma still got custody of Kayla and her sister. I also wondered where Kayla's sister was and why she and Grandma weren't on the episode.  There was a lot of family history still missing.  The part that was discussed was heartbreaking though.  You could see that Kayla has been in a lot of emotional pain her whole life  

To me there was something off about Courtney. I just got a really strange vibe from her. I don't believe her story for a minute.  In the extra clips, she is way too excited to be close to the family and have Kayla's son call her 'Grandma'. She seems too much like the villain in every movie where someone befriends a stranger who seems so wonderful at first and  gets close to their family and then turns out to be psycho.

I also thought it was strange how easily Max and Nev believed her. I'm disappointed that they didn't try to learn more about her after meeting her and hearing her claims. 

Now I am wondering if the raccoon was a stunt animal. That makes a lot of sense! It was adorable though.

This is my first post on the new and improved forums so hopefully I didn't mess up. 

• Love 4

I think Courtney was creepy and I got more then a little bit annoyed at all of her pat answers.   There probably is some past connection she's hiding, and I also wonder if she spent her childhood in some fringe religious environment, but Nev/Max/MTV don't have that kind of investigatory skills. She's a very convincing liar because she likely believes what she's saying, but that doesn't mean that the dead spirit of a stranger appeared and started telling her about all of his junk-food preferences (LOL!)  This could be a way for her to jumpstart her new business.  Meanwhile, it might actually take a long time for her pathological tendencies and lack of boundaries to show up as she worms her way closer to this family. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, marina85 said:

I agree, too, and this was absolutely the shark jump moment for me. Courtney's whole personality seemed so fake and she was so clearly a con artist that it actually pissed me off when both Nev and Max were all "I believe her!" These "psychics" who emotionally manipulate grieving people are just despicable. Watching someone as naive and willing to believe as Kayla buy into this utter bullshit just made me sad and angry for her. And for Nev and Max to go along with it all for shock value and ratings made me lose whatever respect I had for them.

I guess the "good" alternative would be that everyone is on it and it was an entirely made up story for TV. At least that way no one was having their emotions screwed with, but it's not what this show is supposed to be and it just really irritates me.

I wish it seemed like they were all in on it, but Kayla would have to be a very good actor to fake the kind of emotions she seemed to be showing during the initial meeting with Courtney.  Unfortunately it seems to me that Courtney is taking this girl for a ride, for whatever reason.  I know people have pointed out that Courtney doesn't seem to have done anything to really take advantage of Kayla, but one of her excuses for cancelling a meeting was that her kid was in the hospital, I think?  It could be she's just playing a long game here (maybe not just with Kayla either), and will eventually try and get all of the people she's reached out to with her "psychic medium gift" to give her "donations" related to medical expenses, etc.  That might be an awful thing to assume about her, but she's lying and saying she's talking to people's dead relatives, so whatever.

I really don't get how two guys who basically Google shit for a living couldn't have stumbled across the wikipedia page on hot reading though.  Ridiculous to see both of them all "I know it's crazy, but I just believe her!!"

• Love 3

My gut says Aunt Shannon is in on this somehow. It was weird that she stayed behind in the hotel, and she seemed to me to be more anxious than I would expect. My theory (that I have no proof for) is that she confessed some kind of involvement to Nev during their talk, but MTV cut it for entertainment's sake. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

The creepiest part of this episode was that raccoon. What was Max doing approaching a raccoon that was acting strangely and out during the day??

• Love 6

Everything about this episode was so ridiculous.  Here's my question about mediums - whether it's a calling or a gift or a job - don't they "channel" or speak to a lot of people?  Isn't that the so-called gift?  Why did Courtney only speak to one dead person?  Why her?  Where are the others?  And why didn't Nev or Max or anyone ask this question?  Instead, it was all: you spoke to Frankie?  Here's here with us now?  Tell us more!  This is great!  The end.

• Love 3

I kind of enjoyed the departure (see what I did there...) from the usual story line, but do have to agree that it was a shark jumping episode.

Max surprised me at how quickly he got on board. I was all "yeah Max isn't falling for it!" and then he fell for it. I think Courtney is a fake, I think she has some ulterior motive, and I think she knew Frankie from his past. Maybe he was the one who got away, and this is her twisted way of being in his life? I don't know, but something is so off with her. She's too nice, too syrupy, and too out of the blue.

Was she the only one who called him Frankie or did everyone call him that?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

think this episode might be Catfish's shark-jump. Just my opinion of course.

OH.MY.GOD was this the stupidest thing ever.  Must watch my ass.  Of course Courtney knew him, I too think it was from the foster care system in some sort of manner.  I am out!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, GenL said:

The only time I didn't feel much sympathy for Kayla was when she was crying and saying "Why did God do this to me?".  Like, hello.  She has a sister and other family members.  It was done to all of them.  But, she's young so I give her a bit of a pass.

Wow, how selfish of her to cry about not having parents!!! All jokes aside, I don't think she meant it like she is the only one at loss there or in general the only one without parents in the world. I'm sure she is grateful that her siblings are there for her and well, but does that mean she automatically stopped missing her parents? Of course not. People who lose parents when they are older still miss them, yet alone a girl who was 2 when her mother died! (not sure how long after that her father committed suicide) My intention wasn't to be rude, but I found your comment very insensitive.

As for Nev and Max, I think they thought that they have asked all the tricky questions, so once she had answered all of them and the answers seemed legitimate to them, they ended their suspicions. I, too, was surprised how Max quickly fell for her story!

When it comes to Courtney, she seems off with that over-the-top pleasantness without any reason (besides finally meeting her). I found her comment once she met Kayla very manipulative and fake (about having dad's eyes). I agree that she probably knew her dad at some point of his life and how fast she confirmed that she wants to hang out with them tells me that that was her initial attention for some reason. She wants in.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, EuropeanGirl said:

Wow, how selfish of her to cry about not having parents!!! All jokes aside, I don't think she meant it like she is the only one at loss there or in general the only one without parents in the world. I'm sure she is grateful that her siblings are there for her and well, but does that mean she automatically stopped missing her parents? Of course not. People who lose parents when they are older still miss them, yet alone a girl who was 2 when her mother died! (not sure how long after that her father committed suicide) My intention wasn't to be rude, but I found your comment very insensitive.

Yeah, I may have been a bit too flippant with my comment and it came off as insensitive.  I lost my mother last year.  I know how it feels to miss a parent. It wasn't about that for me. It's hard to put into words, but to me it did sound very much like she felt she was the only one at a loss there.  Her sister was never really mentioned at all.  But, that could've been a production choice since the grandmother wasn't really mentioned much either.  I also did chalk her reaction up to her youth.  When you're that young everything is all about you.  For whatever reason, to me, the tone felt different.  Maybe that had to do more than one take of that scene or something.  I had much sympathy for Kayla and her tragic story throughout it was just that one, very brief moment that seemed off to me.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe Nev and Max didn't look into that shady, creepy Courtney's background a little further in terms of whether she somehow had a real life connection to Frankie or if she had ever done anything like this to other people/families.  Are they out of their depth if the "investigation" involves more than dragging pictures into Google image search?

• Love 8

I'm a believer so I thought it was an interesting episode lol  

Kayla's reactions seemed a little over dramatic... especially when meeting Courtney.  She just seemed super freaked out. 

• Love 1

Listen MTV....when I watch Catfish....I wanna watch about people thinking they're dating Will Smith and then finding out in the end they are dating Alfonso Ribeiro.  (which to me would be a total win and we'd do the Carlton dance as the episode ended).  

I also think Nev and Max need to up their investigating skills....since they didn't do anything to find out more about this woman and what connection she might have to this family.  Of course...because Catfish is scripted and mostly fake.  Boo.  Hiss.  

Edited by shelley1005
  • Love 11

Just the way Courtney was hugging Kayla was creepy to me!!!!!. I also believe she has some connection to the family, maybe she used to strip with Kayla's mom?

Edited by stacyasp
  • Love 7

I totally suspected that she would do this.  Seems strange to start this two years ago and never attempt to bank on it between now and then but she sure did see her cash cow and went for it.  Blech.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, shelley1005 said:

Listen MTV....when I watch Catfish....I wanna watch about people thinking they're dating Will Smith and then finding out in the end they are dating Alfonso Ribeiro.  (which to me would be a total win and we'd do the Carlton dance as the episode ended).  

I also think Nev and Max need to up their investigating skills....since they didn't do anything to find out more about this woman and what connection she might have to this family.  Of course...because Catfish is scripted and mostly fake.  Boo.  Hiss.  

I couldn't agree more.  I tune in to see that guy working as a grocery store clerk who thinks that Megan Fox is on FB trying to find a boyfriend.

34 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

Courtney had a public Facebook page all ready to go when the episode aired:

https://www.facebook.com/catfishcourtneywolfemedium/

She's now offering to do readings for her many new fans to provide them the same "closure and peace" she provided to Kayla. 

Mystery solved!

• Love 6

As I watched I was thinking that the parties involved shopped around to all the reality shows and Catfish was the only one that made an offer.  Now that I see that FB page I feel I was probably right.  It bugged me that Nev and Max were so easily swayed to believe without any investigation into Courtney or anything about mediums or contacting the dead. I didn't expect a full on investigation to prove whether her abilities are real but they could have looked up a few facts about it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I couldn't believe Nev and Max didn't look into that shady, creepy Courtney's background a little further in terms of whether she somehow had a real life connection to Frankie or if she had ever done anything like this to other people/families.  Are they out of their depth if the "investigation" involves more than dragging pictures into Google image search?

They aren't real investigators, they're just guys who know how to use facebook & find people's phone numbers on the internet. Any kind of actual PI work is going to be beyond them, plus it's mostly filing a lot of paperwork so it would make bad TV. This whole case was beyond their abilities from the beginning, & the show shouldn't have done it.

• Love 1

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this episode wasn't a backdoor pilot. Nev has that other show "Suspect" (I watched once & that was enough), maybe they're expanding it, or coming up with another show that's like Catfish, only not about romantic relationships.

Argh, this episode made me so angry. Courtney is so full of it, and it's infuriating that the ostensible "adults" in the room didn't put a lid on this nonsense. Best case scenario, she's a delusional moneygrabber, worst case she's a scam artist. Either way, that poor family. Nev and Max should both be ashamed of themselves. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Cranky One said:

I think it's very possible that Courtney could have been a pen pal  of Frankie while he was in prison. That's my theory. She probably read about him online and started writing him.

Heck, she may not have been writing to Frankie directly. Even writing to his cellmate could have garnered enough info about Frankie (since what Courtney seemed to know was pretty basic). What annoyed me is that when Frank supposedly joined them during the last scene, why didn't Nev and Max have Courtney ask him additional information to "prove" Courtney was really talking to him.  Like his Social Security number, etc. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

She's now offering to do readings for her many new fans to provide them the same "closure and peace" she provided to Kayla.

Unless her new fans are dead, I don't see how that's going to work. She's not claiming to have gotten in touch with Frankie for Kayla; she's claiming that Frankie is the one who contacted her and she reached out to Kayla to give him closure and peace.

On 4/28/2016 at 3:46 PM, AManfred said:

The creepiest part of this episode was that raccoon. What was Max doing approaching a raccoon that was acting strangely and out during the day??

Right?  I kept thinking, "that thing HAS to have rabies." 

• Love 5

So I just finished the episode and wow, just wow.

Catfish drama aside, what an incredibly tragic and sad family story. And I doubt we even know a fraction of the dysfunction. My ears perked when Aunt Shannon told Nev in their private conversation (with the camera crew!) that they all make it a point to not say bad things about Kayla's mom. I actually cringe knowing what things are NOT mentioned. Because what was mentioned was completely horrific.

I'm not a total skeptic when it comes to these things. But one thing I know about self professed psychics and mediums---their gifts are not something that just appear overnight while snoozing over a laptop. Most people with these types of abilities claim to have it their entire life. So Courtney only speaks to Frankie and no other dead folks? That doesn't even make sense.

And if Frankie was so intent on checking in with his daughters why the hell would be show up and speak to a woman who he had no connection with?  Why not just communicate with them directly? Why hasn't their mom talked to Courtney? So Courtney's the Ghost Whisperer all of a sudden? Hell, even on that show Jennifer Love Hewitt's character had run ins with ghosts all the time! 

Am I the only one who thought the "friend" they spoke to over Facebook was a weird connection? A married couple named Eric and Erica? Sharing one FB account under the man's name? LOL. I don't know that was just super weird to me.

I peeked at Courtney's public FB page and she posted Kayla's full name on there and I discover Kayla has a public site too. Not sure why.  https://www.facebook.com/Kayla-Harbin-1034729519929897/?fref=nf

My theory is that Courtney was somehow connected to Frankie while he was living. Maybe a friend of a friend. Why she would be so inclined to mess with the head of a very young lady with a tragic family story is beyond me. 

• Love 3

Aaaaand Kayla is "vaguebooking" from the hospital because if course she is!

This episode was beyond the pale and Courtney suddenly offering to share her newfound gift is super hinky.

Even if you totally believe in ghosts and mediums etc why would her father's ghost randomly appear in some woman's bedroom? Why not talk directly to a loved one?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

Aaaaand Kayla is "vaguebooking" from the hospital because if course she is!

This episode was beyond the pale and Courtney suddenly offering to share her newfound gift is super hinky.

Even if you totally believe in ghosts and mediums etc why would her father's ghost randomly appear in some woman's bedroom? Why not talk directly to a loved one?

What is the vaguebooking referencing?

I think that Courtney was saying that Frankie came into her psychic realm because he was basically haunting the foster mother who slept with him and he blamed for his shitty life....

I believe none of this stuff, but I think that is how they explained that bit.

The way that courtney said "you have your father's eyes" made me think she had a personal connection to frank while he was alive. I don't know much about mediums, can they actually SEE the dead person, or just feel his presence? 

Maybe courtney is related to the foster mom.

On 29.4.2016. at 2:16 PM, GenL said:

Yeah, I may have been a bit too flippant with my comment and it came off as insensitive.  I lost my mother last year.  I know how it feels to miss a parent. It wasn't about that for me. It's hard to put into words, but to me it did sound very much like she felt she was the only one at a loss there.  Her sister was never really mentioned at all.  But, that could've been a production choice since the grandmother wasn't really mentioned much either.  I also did chalk her reaction up to her youth.  When you're that young everything is all about you.  For whatever reason, to me, the tone felt different.  Maybe that had to do more than one take of that scene or something.  I had much sympathy for Kayla and her tragic story throughout it was just that one, very brief moment that seemed off to me.

First of all, I'm sorry for your lost and my prayers go out to you. I see how the scene might have looked to you and I think we're both entitled to our own perspectives of that specific comment. I was just surprised by the comment you made about it.

• Love 1

This wasn't an episode of Catfish. In fact, I doubt I've ever seen a show go off the rails like this, in my life.

Nev and Max just PROVED how effective social media trolling can be.  Courtney either knew Frankie when he was younger, dated him or knew someone who knew him and figured that it would be a pretty good racket to "sell" her psychic skills.   Every bit of information that Courtney had could have been easily accessed through the internet.  The burger thing may have been something she learned from talking to her other relatives.  Kayla wasn't 100% convinced, which is why (I think) Courtney hadn't started hitting her up for "paid" readings and encounters.  

Had Courtney revealed something SHOCKING on the show, I may have been entertained, but it was obvious to me that Courtney was researching her facts and giving them to Kayla over texts, phone calls and social media because it gave her time to "fact find".  She didn't want to meet her face to face in CASE she asked a question she wasn't able to answer.   I doubt "hang on while I Google this highly newsworthy case" would have gone over too well in person.

• Love 4