Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Family Reunion

• Start Topic

Yay! It's back. (PTV, I mean, not this show!)

I was mightily confused about last night's episode. At first I thought it was a rerun because of all the scenes of Jessa's wedding and childbirth, etc. But I guess there was some new stuff, including the bold statement from JD that he might kiss a girl in public. NIKE!

The show wasn't much of anything, but, as usual, I'll enjoy reading everyone's thoughts about it.

• Love 4

I agree, 80% of the show was rerun material.  Since nothing !much happens in their lives, I guess.

Jessa and Bin have read our posts about them seemingly being cold with each other since now they appear to like and adore each other.

Spurgeon was the only thing I enjoyed watching.

I agree, 80% of the show was rerun material.  Since nothing !much happens in their lives, I guess.

Jessa and Bin have read our posts about them seemingly being cold with each other since now they appear to like and adore each other.

Spurgeon was the only thing I enjoyed watching.

• Love 1

YOU GUYS. I was banging down the door to the Prayer Closet last night just to comment how dreadful this recycled episode was. I didn't even make it through the second segment. Was this round 2 of Jessa's wedding to make up for all of the attention SSJillyMuffin received or what!

• Love 4

This show was SOOOO BORING. And that is saying something considering the bar is set REALLY Low. We literally JUST saw bin and jessa get married. You didnt get any decent footage in Cintral Amurica???? Even something like them wandering the forest among the tarantulas would have be more interesting than Jessa talking about the wedding we all watching 500 times.  Seriously. Guess Derrick is really not loving TLC being there. Good for you

TLC, you really outdid yourself here. I'm not sure it was possible to make an episode more boring than planning a baby shower for a random, but you did it! 

My hopes were raised with the St Louis episode, and now its back to snooze ville

Also, with the not so subtle hints, my predictions for the 'reveal'

1. Jinger is courting ( who cares though, really) Ill only be interested in watching if she moves to a city

2. Jill and possibly Jessa are PG

3. I also think Jana is courting. At lease I hope so. 

The only thing that was mildly interesting was Jessa saying how she stood up for Josh and then he continued on being a major creep douchelord. At least there was no traumatized anna there saying how supportive josh's victims have been. 

• Love 9

I was half watching, half dodging tornadoes.  It was about 50% repeat. These people are as bland as can be, although I do like Jana. Boring, boring, boring. Even the leg humpers have to see that. 

• Love 2

In this episode, Spurgeon is 4-months-old.  That means that Jessa went to Central America in March.

The news in Arkansas is reporting that an Arkansas resident who traveled to Central America in March has returned, infected with the Zika virus.

http://www.thv11.com/news/health/2nd-arkansas-resident-tests-positive-for-zika-virus/124524155

“If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, I would advise against traveling to areas infected with Zika if at all possible,” said Dr. Nate Smith, Arkansas Department of Health Director and State Health Officer.

What a stupid idea for Jessa and Ben to go there in the first place and for Jill and Derick to live there.  I don't for a minute believe that either of these couples is using birth control.  They all go outside with bare arms and legs showing.

• Love 6

I wonder why we weren't informed that tonight's show would be basically a recap.  I had no desire to see Jessa and Ben's wedding for the umpteenth time.  I wish someone would tell Ben that it's "Jessa and I".  It was rather surprising to hear Jinger say that before Jessa gave birth to Spurgeon, she wasn't a very nice person.  I thought they were "besties".  Jessa's comment about "people digging up bones" with regards to Josh, sounded to me like she was blaming others for his behavior.  Ben:  "It is early and bright."  Jessa:  "It's not bright."  She seems to delight in making him look dumb and foolish on National Television.   I notice his family is MIA.  Can't help but believe there is some tension between the two families.  

• Love 5

Any other network and this show would have already been yanked.  The network and the family needs to just move on.  I can't watch it.  I tried to watch a little of an episode a couple weeks ago, and I just can't do it.  Bleh.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I wonder why we weren't informed that tonight's show would be basically a recap.  I had no desire to see Jessa and Ben's wedding for the umpteenth time.  I wish someone would tell Ben that it's "Jessa and I".  It was rather surprising to hear Jinger say that before Jessa gave birth to Spurgeon, she wasn't a very nice person.  I thought they were "besties".  Jessa's comment about "people digging up bones" with regards to Josh, sounded to me like she was blaming others for his behavior.  Ben:  "It is early and bright."  Jessa:  "It's not bright."  She seems to delight in making him look dumb and foolish on National Television.   I notice his family is MIA.  Can't help but believe there is some tension between the two families.  

I'd bet that TLC would love love love to have some tension, to breathe some air into this DOA Bible Belt snoozefest!

So if the Seewalds aren't on, I'd bet it's because JB (who I assume is calling the shots on behalf of all his kids and their spouses) won't agree, or the Seewalds have flat out refused, or TLC wouldn't cough up the appearance fees. Probably it's option 1 or 2. Because of the need for some people besides the dimwit Duggars and possible interesting tensions, I'd be surprised if TLC wouldn't pay their usual fees for at least a few Seewalds to pop in now and then.

• Love 1

Dear God....I didn't actually think it could get worse but I have been proven wrong. Jessa and her birth story. Girl, they don't hand out transfusions like popsicles. I seriously doubt the doctor said to eat spinach and you could recover in a few months or you can pick to have a transfusion. You were bleeding out it is OK to have complications. It doesn't mean Jesus loves you less. Shit happens. Uh Ben.."Yeah when you go to CA you have to worry about bug bites, germs and stuff" AND THE ZIKA VIRUS YOU STUPID DOLT!!! Gaaahhh....And seriously I am so tired of watching these idiots sit around in a circle and applaud for each other like they are on an episode of Wheel of Fortune. Who does this? Sorry...I'm grumpy with the flu

• Love 12

When Jessa was explaining how to pack to Ben ("make sure you don't bring stuff that you're not going to wear/we don't have a lot of room, etc etc"), he was looking at her as if he was thinking:  Fuck. My. Life. Right now. Fuck it right now!

• Love 13

As Ben was saying how "crazy it was that at 19 he was married and at 20 he is a dad" he had this look like a high-school kid who knocked up his girlfriend and her parents made him marry her. And yep Ben you keep repeating that...it is crazy, crazy as hell! Your life is done. Maybe you and miserable Derick can run away together.

• Love 14

Wow, I just watched the episode online, and if this show gets renewed for another season, it will be a miracle. The entire thing was rehashed footage from the specials with a few packing scenes thrown in. The only nice thing I have to say is that Spurge and Izzy are cutie pies.

Why were the Duggars bringing so much crap to El Salvador? There's WalMarts and grocery stores all over the place. They must have spent thousands in extra baggage fees to haul Doritos and Ding Dongs. How stupid.

Sorry, Jessa Blessa, but I don't believe your transfusion was optional. If you were on the verge of passing out in your hospital room, the doctor sure as hell wasn't sending you home with a bag of spinach and some iron pills. I also caught Jill's horrified expression and her hand covering her mouth as Jessa bled out after delivering Spurge. Great call on the fake midwife and home birth, Duggars. Hopefully someone doesn't die next time.

I feel like TLC is just warming up the crowd for Smuggar's return. The show desperately needs a shot in the arm, and Josh is the only card left to play.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 16

Is Bin a cave man? He doesn't know how to speak so I guess we are subjected to him just grunting. Yeah, Blessa has buyer's remorse for sure. She should have waited for an older prospect vs. cavemanboy.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

As Ben was saying how "crazy it was that at 19 he was married and at 20 he is a dad" he had this look like a high-school kid who knocked up his girlfriend and her parents made him marry her.

I believe Ben loves his little family, however, based on his solemn demeanor, reality appears to be rearing its head. Being married to Jessa Blessa probably isn't how he'd imagine it would be.  In all fairness, they both seem to be having buyer's remorse. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, I just watched the episode online, and if this show gets renewed for another season, it will be a miracle. The entire thing was rehashed footage from the specials with a few packing scenes thrown in. The only nice thing I have to say is that Spurge and Izzy are cutie pies.

Why were the Duggars bringing so much crap to El Salvador? There's WalMarts and grocery stores all over the place. They must have spent thousands in extra baggage fees to haul Doritos and Ding Dongs. How stupid.

Sorry, Jessa Blessa, but I don't believe your transfusion was optional. If you were on the verge of passing out in your hospital room, the doctor sure as hell wasn't sending you home with a bag of spinach and some iron pills. I also caught Jill's horrified expression and her hand covering her mouth as Jessa bled out after delivering Spurge. Great call on the fake midwife and home birth, Duggars. Hopefully someone doesn't die next time.

I feel like TLC is just warming up the crowd for Smuggar's return. The show desperately needs a shot in the arm, and Josh is the only card left to play.

The Duggars probably pack so much because they have no intention of buying what they might need from "foreigners." That would be adding to the economy of whatever country they're in. And we can't have that, of course...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I believe Ben loves his little family, however, based on his solemn demeanor, reality appears to be rearing its head. Being married to Jessa Blessa probably isn't how he'd imagine it would be.  In all fairness, they both seem to be having buyer's remorse. 

I agree they both have buyer's remorse. Even in the carefully staged TH's, Bin and Jessa struggle to act natural and feign a semblance of chemistry. I think they love their son, but could take or leave one another at this point.

The only part of the episode that was interesting was Jessa expressing how betrayed she felt when she defended Josh, only to discover he's the same lying, manipulative douche canoe that he was at 14. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in: 1.342 M viewers and a .4 rating.

This may prove that Duggar fans will watch almost anything.

So, flat yet again. Unfortunately, this seems to be enough to save this steaming pile of crap they call a show.

• Love 1

I fell asleep. 

I also believe that Jessa and Ben love Spurgie deeply but they have realized that they don't really get along that well.  I don't think they hate eachother but they really aren't that compatible and they figured that out recently. 

Imagine being a 20 year old male with a wife that you find annyoing and a beautiful son that you love. That would depress anyone.  His allergies are probably just tears of hopelessness!

• Love 10

for some reason I thought this was the season finale so it was really really REALLY irritating when it was 90% recap and I had to fast forward through it. 

I'm actually really interested in seeing stuff from Jill and Derrick land - not them so much, but just stuff about where they are living.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, gunderda said:

for some reason I thought this was the season finale so it was really really REALLY irritating when it was 90% recap and I had to fast forward through it. 

I'm actually really interested in seeing stuff from Jill and Derrick land - not them so much, but just stuff about where they are living.

We saw some footage of them driving through an area, but it's doubtful that's their real neighborhood. They would probably fake some drives for 'security' reasons. Jessa said they were headed to a rural area and they made sure to indicate it was a long drive from the airport 'are we there yet'. It's the Duggs though so, probably turned left at the Walmart, drove in a circle, and then on to the house in 20 minutes. 

It did look rural, but it had all the amenities, so I don't believe they are roughing it the way they are portraying it. Plus they have family there so much if they ran out of milk they could have it delivered from Arkansas.. Or go back 3 times and stay up to a month and pick some up. 

• Love 1

Both Jill and Jessa's kitchen had plenty of cabinets but tons of crap on the counters.  And, they were leaving home for a period of time and left all those packages out on the counter in the mold house?  N o wonder they have a rodent problem.

• Love 1

There seemed to be a van type of vehicle that follow Derrick into their "driveway".  All of the luggage and stuff was piled into the truck that Derrick was driving. 

Production probably wanted Jess and Ben in the truck with Derrick to talk about family and baby stuff. 

It is my own fault for watching but damn this episode was boring. The filler flashbacks make it obvious they do not have anything interesting to fill an hour. The only part I like is seeing Spurgeon. Despite his odd name he is a doll and the most interesting person on the show to me.

• Love 5

Awesome 4 minutes of new footage for the show. Thank goodness for fast forward.  TLC is so desperate now.  They advertise the previews of the next scene in the show (which is a scene from another show) and then they play the played before scene again.  How many times can you show the same crap???

Spurg is ADORABLE.  I have to give Jessa credit for one thing.  She has a very happy baby.  I don't think she passes him off to others that often and is really into him.  And he seems extremely content and happy.  I think he was really amused by his uncle Bigfoot.  I don't think Jessa will let MEchelle butcher his hair.  

Other than that- you have my recap of the 4 minutes of new footage. 

• Love 6

I'm not surprised that TLC keeps going with this. When you think how hard a ton of people work to put together the shows that survive on other networks -- and the amount of money it takes to conceive of and direct them and so on -- this must have essentially zero production costs in comparison. It's worth zero as viewing apparently, based on people's comments. But they're still getting nearly a million and a half people to watch it every week and, potentially, hang around for other shows in nearby time slots and see the advertising for other TLC shows, plus a little ad money. Financially, I'll bet it's kind of like getting a million and a half people to watch a test pattern twice a week.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I stopped watching a year ago. I still enjoy reading and snarking here though"

Lol, join the club! I haven't watched a single 'new' episode, yet I cannot wait for them to air so that I can come here and giggle. 

• Love 11

So are all the people that are donating to the Dillard's "Mission" also getting to foot the bill for parts of the Seewald's visit?  I'm sure TLC is paying for travel & food, but who pays for the car they drive and the gas?  That kind of stuff?

Do the Dillards get to take the credit for any of the souls that the Seewald's turn with their incredible, glowing godliness, or do Ben & Jessa get a special commission of their own?  Like extra Jesus credit?   

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

Did anyone else catch that Ben said he went to work?  He didn't say what "work" was but mentioned it when they were deciding how may diapers Spurgey used in a day.  Ben thought it was a low amount & Jessa corrected him & He added that he forgot about the ones when he was at work (or something like that.) 

I also noticed that Miss Theresa (or whoever it was that delivered Spurgey) wasn't wearing gloves during the delivery.  We know the Duggars aren't big into cleanliness & germ evasion, but really?  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Did anyone else catch that Ben said he went to work?  He didn't say what "work" was but mentioned it when they were deciding how may diapers Spurgey used in a day.  Ben thought it was a low amount & Jessa corrected him & He added that he forgot about the ones when he was at work (or something like that.) 

I can't believe Bin and Jessa were able to keep straight faces when he made the comment about being at work.  

• Love 6

Nah, he's stated that he works for Boob doing the same stuff his sons do. He's also actually had the nerve to say he's in "real estate," when we all know that all he's doing is helping renovate crap homes for Boob to flip. 

• Love 3
On 4/27/2016 at 0:35 PM, Adeejay said:

I notice his family is MIA.  Can't help but believe there is some tension between the two families.  

When Jim Bob and Michelle say "Leave and Cleave", what they really mean is "Anyone who marries one of our children must leave his or her own family and cleave to us!".

• Love 7

It's only the 7th episode. And even worse, they posed TH segments from the 3-part series last winter as CURRENT information. ie. Jed and Jer in a TH. We know that Jer has been banished to ALERT for at least the last six weeks. Also, the background for the THs for the 3 episode run was different than what we're seeing for this run. The boys were in the old setup. Other TH segments were also spliced in from the other series as well. 

Seriously, did we even get 10 minutes of NEW content? And that, ironically being Jessa's old occupation, being PACKING for a trip? I can't believe TLC gets away with this, but then, I remember that half the audience actually believes this crap (and the rest of us are hate-watching, and rolling our eyes every five seconds). 

Seriously, the only episode with any interest at all was Ben exploring something REALLY new. 

• Love 7
On 4/27/2016 at 11:47 AM, Jeeves said:

I'd bet that TLC would love love love to have some tension, to breathe some air into this DOA Bible Belt snoozefest!

So if the Seewalds aren't on, I'd bet it's because JB (who I assume is calling the shots on behalf of all his kids and their spouses) won't agree, or the Seewalds have flat out refused, or TLC wouldn't cough up the appearance fees. Probably it's option 1 or 2. Because of the need for some people besides the dimwit Duggars and possible interesting tensions, I'd be surprised if TLC wouldn't pay their usual fees for at least a few Seewalds to pop in now and then.

Michelle and Boob would never risk letting the world get to know the Seewalds. That would be like Joan Rivers letting Arsenio Hall sit in for her on her late night talk show. Folks liked him so much he became the new host. Can't have someone else play the role of "doting parents/grandparents" and we can't give anyone outside the family an opportunity for a spin off. He's probably still kicking himself for giving Gil Bates screen time. 

On 4/27/2016 at 1:25 PM, BitterApple said:

I could be completely off base but here's my theory: The money train has slowed tremendously, not just for the family as a whole but especially for Jill & Derick. Walmart might be 6 blocks up the street but that doesn't mean they have the funds to buy anything other than the bare bones basics. The house they're staying in is probably belongs to someone affiliated with their organization but they are responsible for their personal needs. The types of care packages they seem to get from the family are typically reserved for broke college students. They are flat broke. Why else would you need folks to bring you baby clothes from the states? A little box of stuff you definitely can't get there (ie. ranch dressing, local brand of chips) I can understand but half a dang closet of baby clothes? Really?!

28 minutes ago, ingenting said:

Well what can I say about this episode: I barely even looked at the tv, I just heard it. How can we be having a clip show after 10 episodes? 

And they aren't even using clips from this incarnation of the show! They are mostly recapping stuff from 19 Kids! 

• Love 8