Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E16: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

was happy either way as I thought they both did very well with their final dishes.

I think I've seen each season of HK, so I have started to notice that the Chef that wins the final challenge does not win.

• Love 1

I know it probably doesn't matter anymore, but remember Dannie's walkout? She took to Twitter to claim this happened after service was already over, when they were cleaning up or whatever. I thought she was bullshitting, but Ariel backed her up on this.

Make of that what you will.

• Love 2

But I don't think we saw any footage of her during the rest of the service when the others were still working? Dannie is exactly the type of person who would blame editing for her crappy behavior/attitude. And maybe Ariel is backing her up because they're friends (or maybe they weren't friends, I don't remember)

2 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

But I don't think we saw any footage of her during the rest of the service when the others were still working? Dannie is exactly the type of person who would blame editing for her crappy behavior/attitude. And maybe Ariel is backing her up because they're friends (or maybe they weren't friends, I don't remember)

But it would justify why she returned when Ariel was announced winner. If she'd walked out mid-service, I would've thought she'd have just gone and refused to come back, but she didn't.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:36 PM, snowblossom2 said:

Not sure if anyone will read this but am just catching up on the season. Why didn't Hassan return for the season finale? Left too early? I thought his elimination was BS

Normally, I would've agreed, but the service that ended his game saw him being, as was said on the episode thread, a hot mess.  Of the four nominated, he did do the worst job in that episode.

And as for him not coming back, they always bring back the eight most recent people eliminated -- the contestants who finish in third through tenth place.  In this case, Ashley, Jared, Manda, Dannie, Frank, Jackie, Chad, and Joe.  Hassan was eliminated in eleventh place, just before Joe, so he was eliminated right on the bubble of the contestants brought back at the end.  Eleventh through eighteenth (last) place are rarely brought back unless someone from the usual comeback group cannot return or chooses not to.  Had someone chosen not to, Hassan would've come back to help at the end.

• Love 1

I know I'm WAYYYY late to the party here, but I began watching this season on the Fox On Demand channel (I need something to keep my brain occupied while I did the elliptical I got for Christmas!).  A few of my thoughts - they and a metro card will get you a ride on the subway ;)

• Airport chef? College cafeteria chef? Really???  Two places not well known for their fine cuisine.
  • During the first meal service - Angela dripping sweat off of her face & wiping her nose with the back of her hand WHILE preparing the food!  Makes me not want to eat out, as my daughter pointed out, it probably happens all the time :0
  • While Kevin was a wreck right from the beginning, I can't help but feel terrible & have second hand embarrassment for him.  I later episodes, other chefs sent raw food out more than once after being warned & weren't thrown out mid-service.  Not that he shouldn't have been booted, but GR could have had a heart & waited until elimination.  As we saw, even if he were on the winning team & not put up for elimination, GR could have tossed him anyway.  At least there would have been some dignity to that.  Poor guy!  Has that ever happened in other seasons?  This is my first time watching.
  • What was so offensive on Jackie's list?  Chef Christina really flipped her lid & everyone was clutching their pearls at how disrespectful it was.  I wish they had been a little clearer on what the issue was.  Maybe they did & I just didn't get it - wouldn't be the first time...
  • I have never had to identify flavors while blind-folded, but some of those ice cream flavors seemed really easy to identify.  I can see not knowing avocado or corn, those are pretty subtle flavors, but not knowing mint? Or strawberry?  Cinnamon?  Come on now!  A few times I wondered if they just wanted to see their team mate get it, like with Frank getting Manda, who he openly despised, splattered with sticky toppings.  Not very good strategy, but I think Frank showed himself to be something of a muddled thinker.
  • I get that this is entertainment, but I thought some of the VIP's were jerks for laughing at the chefs when they got cussed out.
  • Kris Jenner? Ew.
  • The winner gets 250k???  That seems like a LOT for a show that looks kind of low rent.  They don't get that much on Top Chef, do they?  Isn't their prize 125k?  I think Top Chef seems a little bit more *elevated*, so that really surprises me.  A lot of the chefs on Top Chef are not what I would call classy, in any sense of the word, but most of the HK contestants looked like they were rounded up at a prison rodeo.
  • I wasn't nuts about any of the contestants as the episodes wore on, but I was kind of rooting for Kristin.  That being said, I think Ariel performed better at the end & deserved the win.
Edited by Daisy head
  • Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, Daisy head said:
  • During the first meal service - Angela dripping sweat off of her face & wiping her nose with the back of her hand WHILE preparing the food!  Makes me not want to eat out, as my daughter pointed out, it probably happens all the time :0
  • While Kevin was a wreck right from the beginning, I can't help but feel terrible & have second hand embarrassment for him.  I later episodes, other chefs sent raw food out more than once after being warned & weren't thrown out mid-service.  Not that he shouldn't have been booted, but GR could have had a heart & waited until elimination.  As we saw, even if he were on the winning team & not put up for elimination, GR could have tossed him anyway.  At least there would have been some dignity to that.  Poor guy!  Has that ever happened in other seasons?  This is my first time watching.
  • What was so offensive on Jackie's list?  Chef Christina really flipped her lid & everyone was clutching their pearls at how disrespectful it was.  I wish they had been a little clearer on what the issue was.  Maybe they did & I just didn't get it - wouldn't be the first time...
  • I have never had to identify flavors while blind-folded, but some of those ice cream flavors seemed really easy to identify.  I can see not knowing avocado or corn, those are pretty subtle flavors, but not knowing mint? Or strawberry?  Cinnamon?  Come on now!  A few times I wondered if they just wanted to see their team mate get it, like with Frank getting Manda, who he openly despised, splattered with sticky toppings.  Not very good strategy, but I think Frank showed himself to be something of a muddled thinker.
  • I wasn't nuts about any of the contestants as the episodes wore on, but I was kind of rooting for Kristin.  That being said, I think Ariel performed better at the end & deserved the win.
  • I don't think there was an Angela among the cast this season.
  • Yes, there have been at least three other mid-service eliminations -- Josh from HK3, Neka from HK7, and Gabriel from HK12.  Kevin was, I think, the fourth such elimination.
  • Jackie said some bad things that couldn't be aired.  But they pissed Christina the fuck off.
  • No.  A lot of these contestants are smokers, and smoking badly impedes one's ability to taste.  Especially heavy smoking.
  • Ariel and Kristin were neck-and-neck, really.  But there was some kind of trick with an order Ariel tried during the final service.  Something about sending out an order attributed to another ticket rather than one that was in progress.  I don't remember the details.  But Ramsay was clearly impressed by her time-saving trick.  I think he was so impressed with that, plus so disappointed with how Kristin lost control of her brigade at one point, that that was what nailed Ariel's win.
  • Love 1
On January 18, 2017 at 11:22 PM, Michel said:
  • I don't think there was an Angela among the cast this season.
  • Yes, there have been at least three other mid-service eliminations -- Josh from HK3, Neka from HK7, and Gabriel from HK12.  Kevin was, I think, the fourth such elimination.
  • Jackie said some bad things that couldn't be aired.  But they pissed Christina the fuck off.
  • No.  A lot of these contestants are smokers, and smoking badly impedes one's ability to taste.  Especially heavy smoking.
  • Ariel and Kristin were neck-and-neck, really.  But there was some kind of trick with an order Ariel tried during the final service.  Something about sending out an order attributed to another ticket rather than one that was in progress.  I don't remember the details.  But Ramsay was clearly impressed by her time-saving trick.  I think he was so impressed with that, plus so disappointed with how Kristin lost control of her brigade at one point, that that was what nailed Ariel's win.

Sorry - Vanessa was the sweaty one.  My point was - it was really gross.

• Love 2

We just got Hulu. We haven’t watched HK is forever, so I wanted to check out a random season to see if anything has changed. Happy to see that literally nothing has changed, except the names of the contestants.

The best part of the whole season was seeing a ten year old Millie Bobby Brown get some camera time during the “Family Week” episode. She was billed as just Millie Brown and unfortunately got to interact with Jackie. Probably a resume entry she’s not particularly proud of.

In hindsight, the contestant who seems to have on of the better careers six years later is Kristin. She ended up working at a Grr restaurant for a few years. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

In hindsight, the contestant who seems to have on of the better careers six years later is Kristin. She ended up working at a Grr restaurant for a few years. 

Do you mean Christina Wilson?  She did a lot more than Burgrr; she currently is pretty high up in the Ramsay organization.  She oversees three of his US restaurants and still is involved with Hell's Kitchen on TV.