Type keyword(s) to search

Cheers - General Discussion

ari333
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Rebecca and Carla had all the dialogue for the scene.  So I don't know if they had to cut away from Alley because she was going to lose it, but the guys weren't holding it in either. The women at the auction were being all rowdy, so it wouldn't be ooc for them to be laughing anyway.

I love when actors can't keep it in. Curb is one of my favorite shows because they actually ride each other. Funny enough, Danson never breaks up on Curb. 

I didn't know Tom Skerritt was Evan Drake. 

I'm not sure joking about Rebecca being a lesbian really holds up in 2020. 

It looks like since the Norm painting episode, they're focusing more on Rebecca. Sam's a little toned down and I actually like them he's just being friendly with her. 

Cliff's girlfriend (when he first moved into the condo) is super cute. She looks like an old friend from grad school. She didn't need to get all dolled up. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, readster said:

It's so odd who Rebecca was when season 6 started and where she ended up. It's like seeing character degration instead of growth or just "losening up". I think another problem is, they wanted it to be that Rebecca was all business and this was just a stepping stone for her in the business world. She honestly didn't know how to run a bar AT ALL. I know by the time we get to season 7 and the company who Sam sold it to, wants Sam back in charge since he ran it better and people "like him more". 

In the David Lee interview I posted he said it took the writers a while to get a handle on Rebecca. They created this character who was supposed to be all business and uptight but then it became clear right away that wasn't working. It wasn't until they were making the episode where Sam tried to catch her smoking Kirstie showed them a trick she could do of hiding a lit cigarette in her mouth that they realized the character could be fun. They also discovered how funny a crier she was and so they hit on the idea that underneath Rebecca's hard exterior there was this vulnerability.

I always liked that she bonded with Norm first. He was for her what Coach was to Diane. My take has been that they're both losers but while Norm had long ago accepted it Rebecca was in denial.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

That seems evident from my shot gun viewing. I was wondering why it took so long though. She was the only new character. 

She definitely cries funny too. 

I'd agree that having her just be a hard ass would be one dimensional and kind of boring. 

It makes sense that being career driven first might make one harden up. And I had said before that it makes sense she's the outsider at the start and the new boss that she'd be standoff ish at first. 

I'm watching Rebecca's book club and dying at the old ladies getting hammered. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm up to where Kelly is introduced. I'm covering a lot of ground! 

I have to say that Sam's incessant hitting on Rebecca doesn't hold up well. It's not like she was leading him on or they already had a date. 

The better episodes is when they're friends and Sam is helping her out. 

I actually like the episodes where Rebecca throws the parties. She's actually good at it. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm up to Woody's 'Kelly' song. I didn't knew Harrelson could play the piano. It looked like it was him. 

Yeesh Frasier's friend hitting on Rebecca and then being blamed for it is not holding up well. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Is there a reason why they killed off Eddie? 

Yep. The actor didn’t find Rhea Perlman attractive and actually said so in an interview. Killed off!

• Love 1

I actually went on a field trip to Boston in 10th grade. It was 1988, so the show was still airing. As we all got on the bus to travel back home to Upstate NY, we all got to see the "real" Cheers from the outside, anyway. Its real name was The Bull and Finch.

Pretty cool. The whole trip was pretty decent (Quincy Market, the Aquarium, and the last stop was the "educational" portion, at a museum. That should have been first as it was dull and, by the end of the day, the parents/chaperones, teacher, and all of us kids were tired.)

But still, great time overall! (It was actually my second jaunt to Boston; the first trip was in 5th grade, to see a Yankees/Red Sox game for a gym class field trip! All I really remember from that one was it was hotter than hell. Probably near 100! And I got sunburned. LOL!)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I actually went on a field trip to Boston in 10th grade. It was 1988, so the show was still airing. As we all got on the bus to travel back home to Upstate NY, we all got to see the "real" Cheers from the outside, anyway. Its real name was The Bull and Finch.

I went a couple years ago to check it out when I was in Boston. They’ve changed the name to Cheers. It’s a restaurant and bar down there and they serve the beer in mugs with the Cheers logo. Upstairs where Melville’s would be is a recreation of the Cheers bar. It’s a whole museum type thing up there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Pretty cool. The whole trip was pretty decent (Quincy Market, the Aquarium, and the last stop was the "educational" portion, at a museum. That should have been first as it was dull and, by the end of the day, the parents/chaperones, teacher, and all of us kids were tired.)

But still, great time overall! (It was actually my second jaunt to Boston; the first trip was in 5th grade, to see a Yankees/Red Sox game for a gym class field trip! All I really remember from that one was it was hotter than hell. Probably near 100! And I got sunburned. LOL!)

I read all of this in my mother’s Boston accent.

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yep. The actor didn’t find Rhea Perlman attractive and actually said so in an interview. Killed off!

I hated though how they then not only killed him off, but had it where he another "secret family" who had twins too. That was not only too much but stretch credibility in everything.

I'm from around the area so I've been to Boston a bunch but I never actually went to the bar. I guess locals wouldn't. Then again, in college I never really could watch. I don't even remember the finale. 

So I have to go to work Monday and there's still three seasons to go. Good thing I have my own office. 

(edited)

Wow late 80s adult clothes were shit. I was in 9th grade so I have an excuse. 

Gunning down these episodes, I'm enjoying the actors nuances - Alley says 'slut' hilarious. 

Lilith finally sang! 

Oh I forgot that I was dying when they had the pool for when Rebecca finally slept with Robin and Ma Clavin was in on it. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I never saw the episode with Earl! 

I noticed that Sam and Woody do a lot of cutting and moving things around during the scenes when they're behind the bar. 

I knew Frasier's and Lillith's baby's first word was Norm, but it was still hilarious. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I just saw Sam's 'plan z' when he thinks Rebecca wants to get married. 

I liked the running gag of Frasier making up Dickens into action movies. 

I like that on Cheers, Frasier seemed to have a greater knowledge of pop culture than he did when he had his own show! He knew about Ninja Turtles, Pennywise the clown...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I like that on Cheers, Frasier seemed to have a greater knowledge of pop culture than he did when he had his own show! He knew about Ninja Turtles, Pennywise the clown...

I know and considering it was the same writers, you think that would have transitioned better. I mean, you could understand him not understanding things with Fredrick, but really, there were parts of Fraiser's character that disappeared when he went to his own show. Then again, I mean look at Norm, people enabled his behavior forever and he kept on chuggling along with outrouchous bar tab. Saying he "loved his wife" yet did whatever he could to stay away from her. Hell, Vera must have been more worried about being single. Considering Norm was at: Cheers, the bowling alley and the Hugry Hephored and then working or NOT working inbetween. There was that one phone message at Cheers where Vera didn't even know Norm was asleep next to her thinking it was their dog. Because he comes home LATE ALL THE TIME. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, readster said:

There was that one phone message at Cheers where Vera didn't even know Norm was asleep next to her thinking it was their dog.

How big was the Petersons dog?

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

How big was the Petersons dog?

Like many of us said, they turned Vera into a farse and they could have saved themselves many times as pointed out in season 1-3 that some of the "problems" or "looks" of Vera were often exaggerated by Norm that he admitted to with Sam, Diane, Cliff and Frasier. Frasier even calling out why Norm did it so much and him admitting it just kind of became a regular thing and the fact that Vera stopped caring what Norm did. 

The writers honestly could have had Vera show up and just have it where some things were true about Vera just being someone who was like Norm and that his exaggerations were true. Then go from there, especially since George Wents' real life wife who was also an actress was doing the voice of Vera and was her with her face covered in the pie in the Thanksgiving Episode. It's like the writers just got lazy. 

(edited)

I forgot if I asked, but is the vermouth some kind of running gag? It seems like they're always out. 

I'm in the middle of season 9, and I feel like they ran out of stuff for Rebecca after Robin. 

It's ludicrous to think after Sam turned Robin in and won the bar back that she'd think he'd sell it. 

It's just as ridiculous for John or Rebecca to arbitrarily raise rent on the bathroom and pool room. You'd have to get it appraised and I'm sure there's laws on increase, just like anyone's rent. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I forgot if I asked, but is the vermouth some kind of running gag? It seems like they're always out. 

I'm in the middle of season 9, and I feel like they ran out of stuff for Rebecca after Robin. 

It's ludicrous to think after Sam turned Robin in and won the bar back that she'd think he'd sell it. 

It's just as ridiculous for John or Rebecca to arbitrarily raise rent on the bathroom and pool room. You'd have to get it appraised and I'm sure there's laws on increase, just like anyone's rent. 

Oh I know, plus how John acted on making things on Cheers so hard for Sam it was to the point eye rolling. Even in season 11 when that crazy doctor wanted Lilith to himself and ends up shooting the ceiling and hits the bus boy in the foot. John walks down all annoyed that Sam did it. Then turns and is not only shocked to see a guy with a gun, but is downright scared. Plus, the way Rebecca got after season 8, this didn't look like a smart business woman who was hoping to get rich and be care free. She came across as someone who was just promoted to keep her from annoying people. 

I actually don't mind John. Though I'm only on S9 now. He's a good addition because the show long showed that people had drinks at Cheers while waiting for tables in the restaurant. It's convoluted that he actually owned the bathroom and poolroom. A better plot would be butting heads with Sam over fancying up Cheers as more of a Melville's outlet than a bar in and of itself. They both have a common customer base, and it could be one of the new issues Sam was having (computers, etc.,) that needs a manager; i.e., Rebecca. 

You could even contrive that the main entrance somehow is closed so everyone has to go through Cheers to get to the restaurant. 

I'll give the show some credit on Rebecca - Lilith asked her why she'd want to be at Cheers after all that happened, and she said it was her most success. It's thin, but they made an effort. 

I'm watching the one with Paula, who likes big guys - Danson is playing the hell out of the reaction shots. 

Frasier/Lilith has been a great addition to the show. I love their delivery. Pregnant Lilith raving about motherhood killed me. 

I watched the one this morning where Sam was in the cabin after throwing out his back, talking about being old. He's younger than me!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, cleo said:

I tolerated John more than Gary which got kind of tiresome. Also John and Carla was the best. 

I agree with that, John and Carla were hilarious together. 

• Love 2

I don't know how I feel about this Sam/Rebecca baby plot. I mean, I get sustaining a show over 200 episodes, you need to have a deep well of plots. I think when they feature plots with the other characters, that the show is stronger. Not that Sam is boring, but it seems they backed themselves into a corner with Sam. 

When they had Rebecca get out and throw parties for the corporation, it was really entertaining. I think once she was fired and Sam rehired her as the manager, she could have made her own business doing that while subcontracting the labor out to the Cheers staff. It's a bit contrived, but would have offered some flexibility. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

A 2015 article on Woody and Kelly's  wedding in the 1992 season finale. It's still an amazingly well written farce by the great David Lloyd.

https://www.vulture.com/2015/06/when-cheers-left-cheers-for-a-wedding-chapel.html

It is so funny, the only thing I rolled my eyes at was Carla still believing in horoscopes when her psychic revealed she was a total fake and had been leading Carla for years. The rest of the episode is just so funny. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh you all held back on Carla and John doing it! 

I think Sam and Carla's fight in the ladies room was funnier. 

I don't like the Henri subplot though over this tenth season - it's one note. I mean, I don't mind dumb funny, but the guy is a brick in every scene. 

I very much want to know why Rebecca calls her period Mr. Charlie.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Oh you all held back on Carla and John doing it! 

I think Sam and Carla's fight in the ladies room was funnier. 

I don't like the Henri subplot though over this tenth season - it's one note. I mean, I don't mind dumb funny, but the guy is a brick in every scene. 

I very much want to know why Rebecca calls her period Mr. Charlie.

It was like they wanted Henri to be a bigger deal and then just kind of let it go. Don't know if that was on the writers not thinking things through all the way or on the actor's part. It's funny, when season 11 was revealed to be the end of the series. Never felt like the wrap up was coming until like 8 episodes in. More getting Fraiser set for his spin off that worked with Bebe Neworth's broadway commitment. I mean in the next to last episode, Sam is FINALLY dealing with being a sex addict just to set up Diane's return for the final episodes. I know critics later on said that should have been dealt with in season 9 or 10. Considering what was going on between Sam and Rebecca at that point.