Type keyword(s) to search

Past Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

From S02.E05 please see the forum for episode topics.

KNELL BEFORE ZOD! 

That is not at all how I expected this season to end, and I have no idea where this show is going. So Superman is evil in this future, because Zod starts an expansionist empire to the stars in the name of Zod and his banished future dad? And is the new dictator, with all the leaders of Krypton kneeling before him! And the able bodied rankless (including Kem) have been recruited into his army, and everyone is united under Zod? And Seg is in the phantom zone, but grandpa and Nyssa are still in action? Next season is going to be wild! 

Also, love the costumes of the various leaders we see. I hope next season we can take a little break from the world shattering drama, and explore their culture a bit more, which has been something I've enjoyed whenever we get it. Of course, now that Doomsday is here, that will probably have to wait. 

I would love to have a crossover with Supergirl, I think that might be fun, especially as Kara has felt angsty in the past about losing her family. It would be interesting for her to meet her younger grandpa, and see some darker parts of her home planet. I mean, its not like its hard to travel from universe to universe, it cant be that hard! 

I wonder what happened to the baby egg? It vanished after Nyssa found out she was a clone.

And, even though it was really well done and I didn't see it coming at all, tricking Brainiac into the Phantom Zone was delightfully Silver Age.

• Love 1

My prediction is that the first episode next season (thankfully announced during the closing credits) will be Val and Nyssa getting Seg out of the Phantom Zone. There's obviously no way that Seg being permanently gone sticks, but they'll likely need Adam's help since the timeline of Zod in command needs someone outside that timeline to fix it.

I think Lyta's pretty well lost down the dark path at this point standing by her future son as he promises to conquer the universe, but Jayna's still out there and will certainly be back.

I also predict that Nyssa is going to be Jor-El (a renamed Kor-Vex) and Zor-El's mother. With the realization that she's was cloned, I suspect her attachment to the Vex name is pretty well gone. She and Val are likely to work together to save Seg from the Phantom Zone and after taking out Brainiac and Zod's coup, the House of El will be just the place for an ambitious young woman to make her mark on Krypton.

Final thought... I wonder if Doomsday is weaker under a red sun like Kryptonians are or not (if not, they're screwed... it took Superman killing himself to stop it in just about every incarnation). That said, my hunch is a clever solution over a raw power one (Seg seems more the Guile Hero type).

• Love 4
(edited)

I was hoping Kal would have passed the device to return from the Phantom Zone to Seg. Wouldn't matter Zod destroyed the machine.

Now Seg's parents deaths could have been avoided now Kal's alive. He could have clued them in on his plan.

Did Kal see this future and that's why he gave Zod the next planet?

With her big talk to the troops, Lyta should have been in the first ship charging towards Brainiac!

Imagine being in the middle of "bathroom activities" stuck in Brainiac's eternal world. 

Edited by mxc90
On 5/24/2018 at 7:24 PM, mxc90 said:

Did Kal see this future and that's why he gave Zod the next planet?

Since Brainiac reads minds, any type of deception would be spotted. Zod had to believe what he was saying even if it wasn't true. This is probably correct. I am not sure why Kal-El could see the future and nobody else could.

I am not sure why General Zod didn't disappear unless Lyta is already pregnant (the old fashioned way?).

I still don't get the purpose of having clones, slow death you can be saved, quick death, you are dead forever and all your clones are destroyed? Why don't they upload their consciousness every night while sleeping (or every whatever as a safeguard)?

While is General Zod is conquering Krypton, Kal-El should be on Brainiac's ship reverse engineering all the tech.

Are you folks saying Kal meaning Val, the grandfather?

Also, I didn't pick up on it but I was told on Twitter: that's not some generic bottled city that Adam found himself in, it's a futuristic Detroit.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Is there some significant reason it's Detroit? I don't know that they've used real cities in the Superman stories.

In this version, Adam is from Detroit. That was a Tigers cap he wore in the first part of the season. So it's intriguing that Brainiac took it, and that Adam got stuck there.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, MarkHB said:

Are you folks saying Kal meaning Val, the grandfather?

Also, I didn't pick up on it but I was told on Twitter: that's not some generic bottled city that Adam found himself in, it's a futuristic Detroit.

Yes. It should be Val.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2018 at 11:22 PM, tennisgurl said:

KNELL BEFORE ZOD! 

That is not at all how I expected this season to end, and I have no idea where this show is going. So Superman is evil in this future, because Zod starts an expansionist empire to the stars in the name of Zod and his banished future dad? And is the new dictator, with all the leaders of Krypton kneeling before him! And the able bodied rankless (including Kem) have been recruited into his army, and everyone is united under Zod? And Seg is in the phantom zone, but grandpa and Nyssa are still in action? Next season is going to be wild! 

Also, love the costumes of the various leaders we see. I hope next season we can take a little break from the world shattering drama, and explore their culture a bit more, which has been something I've enjoyed whenever we get it. Of course, now that Doomsday is here, that will probably have to wait. 

I would love to have a crossover with Supergirl, I think that might be fun, especially as Kara has felt angsty in the past about losing her family. It would be interesting for her to meet her younger grandpa, and see some darker parts of her home planet. I mean, its not like its hard to travel from universe to universe, it cant be that hard! 

DC will have to figure out timelines, as Kara is reunited with her mother and a portion of Krypton that survived and that might make interesting writing.

• Love 1
On 26/05/2018 at 3:10 AM, AnimeMania said:

I am not sure why General Zod didn't disappear unless Lyta is already pregnant (the old fashioned way?).

I thought it was implied that the general was a natural, accidental baby. If Lyta married and got permission to procreate with someone, it would have been a known thing in some public records database, or at least gossiped about. The fact that General Zod had no way of knowing because Lyta never told him, and that she was apparently single (and grouchy) the whole time, seemed to suggest it happened the last time she and Seg were together.

If that's a thing, and the baby can still be a full member of your house, then why Nyssa was worried about baby "permission" in 1.01 is a little bit of a mystery. But the show likes to contradict itself like that. Some epic moments in this finale, though. I loved Adam wandering around Brainiac-frozen Detroit.

(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 9:34 AM, AngelKitty said:

Is there some significant reason it's Detroit? I don't know that they've used real cities in the Superman stories.

DC comics over the years has had a mix of fictional cities (Coast City, Central City, Star City, Metropolis, Gotham, etc.) and also real cities. New York is where the Teen Titans were based, Green Arrow used Seattle as his base of operations, and there was an incarnation of the Justice League (Vibe, Gypsy, Steel and the Martian Manhunter, I believe, among others) that was headquartered in Detroit.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 1

Oh, General Zod!  Of course you would use this opportunity to crown yourself the new tyrant... err, "man in charge."  Looking forward to Colin Salmon camping it up next season!

I feel kind of bad since he grew on me, but Seg getting sucked up into the Phantom Zone with Brainiac, didn't exactly crush me, because, hey, we still got Lyta and especially Nyssa around who are way more interesting to watch.

Dev's got a shiny, new badass robotic arm, I see!

So, the real Val is now back.  Hmm...

Boo to no Jayna!

Overall, a bit of a shaky start, but I do think the show got better, so hopefully they'll find their groove in season two.

• Love 1

I'm watching (catching up) because of Damian Kindler, whose work I liked on Stargate and Sanctuary. But wow is it boring.

My problem is that I don't care about any of these characters.  It's made more difficult by the overwhelming amount of testosterone and the writing that makes it essentially a Boys Own Adventure.  So many male characters, I can't really tell them apart. And every time I see Adan Strange, I wonder why he is on this show.  Of the three female characters on the show, only Lyta is good and worth rooting for and she's basically a sexy lamp post.  The hologram is more interesting than the real people.  The concept of the Rankless makes no sense, not even as much as it did on DS-9. It's the opposite of an enlightened society.

The seller offered Adam "a Daxamite hunting blade".  If Krypton is the only intelligent life in the universe, how did they know about Daxam?

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If Krypton is the only intelligent life in the universe, how did they know about Daxam?

On Supergirl, they're neighboring planets in the same system, and the Daxamites were descended from Kryptonian colonists.

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

On Supergirl, they're neighboring planets in the same system, and the Daxamites were descended from Kryptonian colonists.

And there has also been a similar theory in the comics, or at least there was during the Silver Age.  It's why Kryptonians and Daxamites gain similar powers (identical powers during the Silver Age) on Earth.

Why it take a month for Nyssa and the blonde black zero bad guy to get back to the fortress?   Looks like the first time they got there since they lost Seg.   Where were they at for that month? 

And that crazy idea?  Emmett J. Scanlan will be playing him!

THR's summary of the character:

Spoiler

For those who aren't familiar with the character, Lobo has a genius-level intellect when it comes to matters of warfare and is a deadly adversary. He has superhuman strength and is virtually immortal. Lobo's word is the only thing he hold sacred and although he'll never violate the letter of an agreement, he might disregard its spirit from time to time.

• Love 1
On 5/24/2018 at 12:22 AM, tennisgurl said:

So Superman is evil in this future,

No, the statue of Superman changed to one of General Zod.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:49 PM, innocuouspuff said:

If that's a thing, and the baby can still be a full member of your house, then why Nyssa was worried about baby "permission" in 1.01 is a little bit of a mystery. But the show likes to contradict itself like that.

Dru-Zod was born after all this societal change we've been seeing happened, remember. It's not like people are going to stick to the old rules about procreation. The creche system was already called into question in these last two episodes. Plus Lyta would be like, "He's my son, live with it, tools."

I feel sorry for Jayna. Because of her grandson's actions, the name of Zod will forever be tainted and synonymous with evil on at least two planets, and that would fill her with shame and anger after devoting herself to upholding its legacy.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1

Season 2 Trailer!

And the official Season 2 Synopsis:

What if Superman never existed? Set two generations before the destruction of Superman’s home planet, KRYPTON follows Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe), the legendary Man of Steel’s grandfather, as a young man who fights to save his home planet from destruction. Season 2 brings us back to a changed Kandor, locked in a battle over its freedom and its future. General Dru-Zod (Colin Salmon) is now in control. He’s on a ruthless mission to rebuild Krypton according to his ideals and to secure its future by conquering the universe. Faced with a bleak outlook, our hero, Seg-El, attempts to unite a dispersed group of resisters in an effort to defeat Zod and restore hope to their beloved planet. Their chance at redemption is threatened however, by their opposing tactics, shifting alliances and conflicting moral boundaries – forcing each of them to individually determine how far they’re willing to go in pursuit of a better tomorrow.

No official release date yet...

(edited)
8 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

TVLine is reporting today that a Lobo-centric spinoff is under development at SyFy.

I thought Lobo should have looked bigger.

I wonder why they didn't thaw out all the clones that they had in storage, they could have put one complete set of clones in each of the terraformed to be Krypton worlds they create. The can populate the New Kryptons with the best, most loyal brainwashed people they could clone.

I really like Lyta-Zod (Georgina Campbell) commitment to the role with that great futuristic hairstyle, really beautiful.

Edited by AnimeMania
beauty parlor talk
7 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I certainly didn't expect Jayna's father and Brainiac to go down as quickly as they did, although I'm sure the latter will be back.

Yes, don't stop hitting Brainiac until the lights on his suit go out.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, thats not the end of Braniac. Seg has no idea that you have to double tap that robot motherfucker. 

Nice to see this show back, and that Krypton is as fucked up as ever, just with less class system and more conquering! Nice to see the reunion of Seg and Adam, it was really sweet how happy they were to see each other after everything, and how much they grew on each other. But now yet ANOTHER classic character has shown up to start shit. 

Lyta really had gone full dark side along with her son. Its interesting how General Zod is using Segs death basically for propaganda purposes as an example of sacrifice for his great cause. And that Lyta seems to really buy that she is doing all of this for her dead kind of boyfriend, even though she has to know on some level that he would hate this.

• Love 2

Honestly, Zod using Seg’s memory as a rallying point is going to bite him in the ass when Seg returns and is able to broadcast a message for the resistance (not a spoiler, just a prediction based on basic story structure). Underestimating the El’s has always been his downfall.

I’m 99% sure at this point that the House of El also includes Nyssa at this point. I can’t shake the suspicion that between Seg’s heroism and the cloning thing causing her to dissociate from being a Vex that baby Kor-Vex is going to get a meaningful name change to Jor-El by the time it’s all over.

I’m also wondering if the resolution to Zod won’t be using the base premise from season one against him. Just convince Lyta to NOT make a baby using Seg’s DNA and this version of Zod disappears (she’d have another son who becomes a General and Superman’s enemy... but it wouldn’t be his uncle).

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I'll be shocked if Brainiac didn't infect Seg during their conveniently off camera fight.

Didn't Brainiac say something about spreading his consciousness throughout the galaxy?  I'd assume he would have backup copies of his A.I. infecting other planets along with spare clone or robot bodies stashed away.

Did the show ever explain how Earthman Adam Strange is able to withstand Krypton's heavier gravity or is that a detail we're supposed to ignore?

• LOL 1

I don't know what color sun Colu orbits, but it's apparently not a yellow one.  I was half expecting Seg-El to break his chains with new-found super strength so he could go toe-to-toe with Lobo.  Being supercharged with Brainiac's essence wasn't enough to do the job.

By the way, Adam, a weapon can be used more than once, you know.  Especially when you see your enemy is slowly regenerating.  Also you could return to Krypton to get help for Seg-El.  It's not like the two of you will be able to cure him stranded in a forest. Jeez, these superhero shows are so frustrating but as a comics fan I almost feel obliged to keep watching.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, cdnalor said:

By the way, Adam, a weapon can be used more than once, you know.

Really!!? I kept yelling "Shoot him in the head!" and then, "Take the gun with you."

They never listen to me.

• Love 3

Shoot him a few more times, Adam! Double tap, man! Or at least take the gun! 

Lobo is an...interesting guy. Seg just seems baffled by the guy, to Lobos annoyance, which is kind of hilarious. I too wondered if the sun on this planet would Seg powers, but maybe they have to try a few more planet to hit the right one? Of course suns do all kinds of weird shit to Kryptonians, so maybe this is for the best. 

Lyta is full on losing touch with reality, of course it is a pretty weird situation she has found herself in. Her future son with her ex has shown up to take over the universe and is now using her dead ex she is still in love as a rallying point to get their people to take over the world as well his baby with his arranged marriage wife who is now part of the resistance again said grown up son. Its been a weird couple of weeks. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Could General Dru-Zod meddle himself out of existance?

That is a question, isn't it? Time travel is tricky and sometimes I don't think the writers can anticipate all the changes they are actually making. Shows that have time travel make up their own rules which is OK, as long as they stick to them.

On this show, it seems they've already made so many changes to the future that they would have to go back farther in the past to fix things. I'm willing to enjoy this ride without worrying about Superman and the future of Earth.