Type keyword(s) to search

Past Episodes Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

From S02.E05 please see the forum for episode topics.

I think it is pretty evident based on the lack of discussion on any of these episodes that many feel like me..  That is "What Is The Point Of This Show???

I am really waiting for something, anything to grab me and I really don't think they will do it.  I especially don't like the "dark setting" approach to this where it seems like they are being filmed in a confined spaceship of some sort ala Dark Matter.. It is dark, it is unappealing and just boring.

This was simply in my opinion a series that didn't need to be created..

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

I think it is pretty evident based on the lack of discussion on any of these episodes that many feel like me..  That is "What Is The Point Of This Show???

I am really waiting for something, anything to grab me and I really don't think they will do it.  I especially don't like the "dark setting" approach to this where it seems like they are being filmed in a confined spaceship of some sort ala Dark Matter.. It is dark, it is unappealing and just boring.

This was simply in my opinion a series that didn't need to be created..

I think one of the major problems is that there's no real context to this exploration of Krypton. Jor-el is the Kryptonian who we know the most about and we don't know that much about him. Rather than have some contrived warning from Adam Strange to Seg, we could have had Jor's version of Smallville. The other real problem is that I've always gotten the sense that Clark idealizes Krypton much like Harry Potter idealized his father. Slowly throughout the Harry Potter series we get more and more information that James Potter was bit of an entitled bro. Luckily there were enough contemporaries of James and Lily to provide some shading to depiction of James and Lily to make fans a little intrigued. We don't have that here. And we don't really have any reason to be invested in the House of el other than knowing that in 200 years, they'll stick a baby in a rocket. 

• Love 3

I think one of the issues is that I'm a superficial Superman historian, I know the Marlon Brando / Russell Crowe dads and the respective moms but this is needlessly going too deep in the line for me to care.

I think its interesting enough that I will keep watching, but I hope things pick up soon. Maybe when Braniac shows up, things will get more interesting? Right now, this show needs a purpose beyond just being about Superman's ancestors and his doomed home world. 

I think it could find one, but right now, its kind of floundering, being basically every science fiction dystopia story, just it happens to be set on Krypton.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2018 at 8:32 PM, Chyromaniac said:

Here’s an odd complaint of mine- it really bugs me when they use modern English colloquialisms in the dialogue: “mom,” “grandpa,” I think someone called Seg a “punk” this week... I don’t necessarily want them to start inventing Kryptonian terms for these things, but if this is supposed to be 200 years ago on another planet, let’s not have the characters talk like, well, me.

That’s really getting to me, too. It’s actually bugging me enough that I think I’m going to have to bail. I’m also thinking I’m too old for this CW-worthy teen angsty crap. 

Hey, that was Colin Salmon that was shown about the "new member" of Black Zero!  Wasn't unaware he was going to be in this, so that's cool!  Although it equally makes me miss his Walt on Arrow.  Then again, maybe it will end up being Walt and either Barry really screwed up the timelines or the Legends dumped him off on Krypton for some reason.

I'm still finding it watchable but, again, my main issue is that I just find Seg-El and his quest to stop Brainac/save his grandson to be dull, and find myself way more interested in the Zods and Vexs.  Maybe him possibly getting involved with Black Zero could shake things up a bit.

Although I am warming up to Holo Val-El, mainly due to Ian McElhinney's bemused reactions to everything.

Still, it's sad that the highlight of this hour was the previews for The Expanse.  One more week!!

• Love 2

The show is just something to watch. I don't find any character compelling. 

Saw that one of the producers worked on Stargate, Sanctuary, and Sleepy Hollow. This series seems lifeless. After 3 eps, I don't care. 

Thought Krypton was less dystopian and less of what appears to be a police type state or a home for a dictator. A city of skyscrapers, smog, etc. The citizens seem to either be rich or poor. No signs of what passes for TV, no press/reporters.  No signs of culture. Just power plays for control of, I have no idea.

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe they will get to it eventually, or it's part of the planned upcoming plot... but I really want some sort of espose on the voice of Rao... we all know that's some shady stuff right? When they were first talking about the parasite thing I was thinking it was the many faces guy and he'd used braniac to fool people into thinking he was hearing the voice of Rao or something. That would tie things together and make it more interesting. But clearly that wasn't the case :P

We know Val was killed because he wouldn't bow down to the many faces guy, in addition to the science stuff... so I'd almost rather get into that mystery right away instead of this braniac stuff. I'll keep watching because I think there is some potential here... but they might miss the boat

Edited by roctavia

So, basically every faction in this thing is an asshole, right? Except for the faction less people, who are mostly just oppressed and understandably pissed off, everyone else is pretty much a bunch of dickheads. 

I think this show is growing on me. The characters are becoming more interesting, and the world itself is getting explained a bit better. And it does lead to a weird conflict where Seg is in love with one woman, but is having a kid already with another one. Kind of. Krypton is weird. 

That bug going up Segs nose was freaking nasty, made me want to start scratching my face. Why must science fiction have these creepy ass bugs going inside peoples faces all the time?

• Love 5

Does the show really want me to root for seg??..  Cuz he just seems stubborn to a fault and selfish...  As much as I like lyta she's kinda grating with the always complaining about her mom... Jayna is still awesome... Nyssa vex is awesome... Poor Dev Em... Being such a good fiance to someone who's happy to leave him in the friendzone... For a guy who's got her locked up in jail for treason. 

• Love 4

So, this show rolls from one crisis straight into another. It is like the longest day, ever. 
And does Seg have any purpose ? - all he does all day is run between The Only Bar in Kandor, to the Fortress of Solitude, to one of the Lex's chambers and to meet one of the Zod's. But despite all the advanced technology, no one can manage to track his movements (unlike his mother who got caught on her first try).  ..And wasn't that the same bar in Sector 19, which was evacuated? 

I don't think Adam Strange is as funny as they indented for him to be. I saw some preview that said his character was needed to introduce the audience to Krypton. But, surprise, there isn't that much to see. There are only about five main areas. And you have the extremely rich and privileged - and the desperate Shiftless Rankless, who meander all day long around the alleyways near The Only Bar in Kandor . 

Having the Voice of Roa get infected was a nice development - but it was a curiosity as to why there was a guy always hidden under a mask and full robe. Surely Vex Senior would not be ignorant of the identity of someone having such a high position - The V-of-Rao could not have come from nowhere. 

It is not a horrible show, but it still feels very generic - as if someone is recycling some stack of scripts from a series that never got produced, or was cancelled early. 
And now Nyssa turns out to be a lawyer. How convenient. I'm not very worried about the fate of Lyta. I have a feeling the central characters are going to be around - and around - for a long time. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 5

I hope the show preview is faking us out.. Cuz I don't see how Colin salmon and Ann Ogbomo (sp)  can make a baby that looks like Georgina Campbell...  What I'm hoping is that his character is Val El's son... Fromba time before binding and all that.   That would be more interesting... And more believable 

4 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Having the Voice of Roa get infected was a nice development - but it was always a curiosity as to why there was a guy always hidden under a mask and full robe. Surely Vex Senior would not be ignorant of the identity of someone having such a high position - The V-of-Rao could not have come from nowhere. 

That actually surprised me... I mean I thought the V. O. R was braniac in disguise causing trouble on krypton seeing as he was played and voiced by Blake ritson... Who is playing braniac... But it seems that he wasn't... Not sure what to make of it now... He was just some powerful religious leader who took over somehow... Was surprised that the Vex' are trying to overthrow him... Now because of Seg's selfishness Lyta is in jail and Jayna may have to submit to help save her girl... The nerve if him running up on mama Zod.. She shoulda broken his arm... Or worse

• Love 2
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Now because of Seg's selfishness Lyta is in jail and Jayna may have to submit to help save her girl...

In the previous episode, Seg did that trope thing that always irritates me : He says to Lyta "You have to trust me." (Even though I do not trust you enough to tell you the truth about what is going on  ... because my secrets are the most important ones.) 
If Seg had let Lyta take the Brainiac-infested woman to the authorities, or at least documented it, a lot of bad stuff could have been prevented. Speaking of documentation, how are there no cameras, drones and techno whatnot capturing everything that is going on?  There could at least be some digital billboards in the Rankless alleyways. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

In the previous episode, Seg did that trope thing that always irritates me : He says to Lyta "You have to trust me." (Even though I do not trust you enough to tell you the truth about what is going on  ... because my secrets are the most important ones.) 
If Seg had let Lyta take the Brainiac-infested woman to the authorities, or at least documented it, a lot of bad stuff could have been prevented. Speaking of documentation, how are there no cameras, drones and techno whatnot capturing everything that is going on?  There could at least be some digital billboards in the Rankless alleyways. 

Thank you... And Lyta like a whipped puppy does it... Then catches an attitude with the council( sure they were dicks.. But not entirely wrong)  then her mom..  I mean I don't want her to die.. I'm sure she won't.. But from the outside looking in... She was against the earlier measures.. Fought and killed her commanding officer led a raiding party that saw 3 of her ppl die arrested another one if her ppl... And for no reason that she's willing to give up.. Disobeys orders when she's told to engage... Oh and she gave away a grenade... Ugh.  And while I know  nyssa vex wasnt there out of goodness.. She was super bitchy to her as well.  Again all of this could have been avoided if seg alerts her to what's happening. But no.. He had a whole cup if " I have to do this on my own" that morning...  Thank Beebo for Jayna Zod... Dev-em and Nyssa-vex or I may have given up on this show 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That bug going up Segs nose was freaking nasty, made me want to start scratching my face. Why must science fiction have these creepy ass bugs going inside peoples faces all the time?

I just looked away until the screaming stopped. I've had a fear of bugs going in my ears ever since seeing a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits about a bug called an earwig that crawled in someone's ear and laid eggs so he went mad.

Perhaps my mind wandered, but I thought the guy that had Seg kidnapped said he wasn't Black Zero.

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So, basically every faction in this thing is an asshole, right? Except for the faction less people, who are mostly just oppressed and understandably pissed off, everyone else is pretty much a bunch of dickheads.

This really does seem to be the case. So far the only one who seems to not be a dickhead is the bartender.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Perhaps my mind wandered, but I thought the guy that had Seg kidnapped said he wasn't Black Zero.

This really does seem to be the case. So far the only one who seems to not be a dickhead is the bartender.

Yes, he said he used the black zero for some man power, but he isn't black zero. I don't think we got much more as to why he knows about braniac though...

• Love 2
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I knew what the bug was for the minute they pulled it out. They did it to Chekov in Star Trek II. I hate that crap.

• Love 4

Oh, Nyssa!  You might be an arrogant snob who is part of the dickish elite and seems to have plans on dominating Krypton for yourself (or the Vex family), but I'm starting to think you deserve better than Seg.  Really starting to enjoy Wallis Day here.

So, Colin Salmon's character isn't actually part of the Black Sun, but he's using them because he knows about Brainiac as well.  That's cool and all, but he still seems a few fries short of a Happy Meal here.  He looked so shocked that Seg escaped, because I guess he figured Seg wouldn't take the whole "Shoved an alien bug up my nose" thing personally...

Looks like the Voice of Raul has now gotten infected by Brainiac.  Oh, boy!

Ann Ogbomo really is acting circles around almost everyone else.

• Love 3

Angelkitty, The bartender is my favorite too.

Seg needs to trust Lyta, or yeah, he doesn't love her as much as he thinks he does.

Does anyone know why episode 5 is still locked? It aired 3 hours ago.

• Love 1
On 4/15/2018 at 2:39 PM, Chyromaniac said:

Syfy: Happy 80th birthday Superman! Now, let’s go shove a shrimp up your grandpappy’s nose..

"Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head!.

I almost feel bad for taking shots at this show. Unfortunately , it follows The Expanse and we have an awkward weekly meeting. 

Okay, is there going to be a "the following day" or "the following week" on this show? Maybe there are 168 hours in a Krypton day? It seems as if Seg has not stopped running from one crisis to the next for four or five days. Even sitcoms have more believable time transitions. 
Clearly Seg does not have a job - no one seems to miss him except  Adam Strange.

There is also the "always dark" and "always in some cave" things. (Probably budget saving options.) 
It has only been five episodes, yet the show has already fallen into a pattern of repetition : some time with Adam Strange, some time with Bartender BFF, a squabble with Zods, a squabble with the Vexes, a visit to the Fortress of Melting Capes. 

The show has some good elements and decent actors - - but it could benefit from a bit of a retooling. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

I did not see that reveal coming... I mean it makes the most sense.. Cuz there was no way He was Lytas dad.. And he was too light to be Vidar... Plus he didn't have a blue eye... But I still never guessed son... Im gueasing Dev-Em is the dad.... I sure hope he gets some love soon... And now what do you do with General Zod... 

9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I typically hate time travel in shows. I wonder how easy it is to do in this show. So far we have 3 characters that traveled from the future to the past.

Strange... Zod and who else... 

I'm surprised I haven't read more outrage.. Abt General Zod being black... I read tons about Lyta

The House of Zod really needs to work on their family issues. "I love you so much. And you are a massive disappointment". Kind of a mixed message there, mom. 

Yeah, I really should have seen that reveal coming. You got me, show.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The House of Zod really needs to work on their family issues. "I love you so much. And you are a massive disappointment". Kind of a mixed message there, mom. 

Yeah, I really should have seen that reveal coming. You got me, show.

It was mixed.. But also true.. She loves lyta so much that she's willing to assist in an act that (even if its the right thing to do in hindsight)  is incredibly dishonorable and against we everything she knows... 

• Love 2

Colin Salmon is the General Zod?  Did not see that coming, actually.  Well done, show.

This episode was all about disapproving parents, I see.  First, Jayna agreeing to the Zod/Vex alliance to save Lyta, and then basically tells Lyta she's now brought shame to their family.  And then Daron give Nyssa shit about putting them in danger and guilt trips her with his big "I had to kill the solider now, who I was totally banging, by the way!" reveal.  Hey, this is at least one thing Lya and Nyssa now have in common!

I actually kind of enjoyed Seg when he was stuck with this new group who apparently blames the Els for all bad things.

• Love 2

Oh, lordy. I had to do some research to see if I could figure out all these Els. Zods and Vexes. The Wiki for the show actually helped. I can see that the commander of the not-Black Zero is Lyta's son from the future, but did they say he was General Zod? Or do you guys just know that from the comics?

We meet another resistance group that isn't Black Zero. I don't think there is a Black Zero. When Seg said there would be more Els coming to find him, was he lying that there actually are more Els? Isn't he the last one?

Well, I’ve been wondering, “why Superman’s grandpa?” since Krypton was announced- and I guess logistically this kind of answers that. Of course GZ would be Lyta’s kid. Unfortunately, the biggest problem I have with the show is that Seg is the least interesting part of it- and adding another “big character” to the mix probably isn’t going to fix that. 

I'm finding Nyssa Vex to be the most compelling presence on the show right now. She isn't boring and bland like Seg, Adam or Lyta, and the actress is stunning. Is she an original character or does she have a DC counterpart ? I know she and Seg have already conceived a child, a Vex, but what is the possibility she will be the mother or Jor El. I mean, it clearly won't be Lyta and the only other prominent woman was the chick that Seg saved in this episode and Zod called her very important. But that actress left zero impression on me so,... I hope not. 

• Love 1

I liked this episode a lot too. The world of Krypton looks really great, and I am really loving the world building being set up. 

I cant say I blame Seg for siding with General Zod over Adam Strange. One guy is saying he wants to save your city and planet, and another guy saying you have to let sit around and wait for your planet and everyone you have ever known to die, so that your grandson can save some other planet in the future, I dont blame him for siding with the guy who wants to save your home. Adam should have really doubled down on Superman saving the universe about 40 times. I am sure General Zod will show his inner crazy soon, and then Seg will check in with Adam again. I've kind of liked their growing relationship.

Dev seems like a good guy, and it was nice that he got more to do this week. I felt bad, weirdly, for Jayna when she killed one of her subordinates. She looked truly miserable to do it.

• Love 2

It was slightly humorous when Adam Strange said "General Zod is Superman's greatest enemy!" And then we have Brainiac. And then .. Doomsday. Now I want Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen to show up. (kidding)
I agree that Adam Strange's argument would be hard to support : You and your planet need to die so Superman can be the greatest superhero, ever. Because I am not capable of imagining a future where Krypton survives and somehow other people are available to take care of problems. 

And the Voice of Rao guy  is another actor from Da Vinci's Demons. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

It occurred to me that if Brainiac is not from the future and is just there to collect Kandor, which is line with the 'normal' past - - it means that the real threat to Superman's  future is Adam Strange.
Adam Strange has definitely screwed up the timeline by rushing into the past without getting his facts straight - and he has given Seg way too much information about the future that should not be known.  Maybe General Zod is there to clean up Strange's time travel mess. 

I still think this series could have worked without everything being attached to Superman - and without the time travel mess.  But apparently audiences love Easter eggs, so .. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

It strikes me that, if the abduction of Kandor  starts the chain of events that leads to Krypton's destruction, then if General Zod prevents it, then he's also preventing Superman.  It's not that simple, because if Krypton is stable then Zod doesn't need to be Kal-El's enemy (his goal, at least in MoS, was the preservation of his people), but that also deprives the universe of everything else Superman will do.

• Love 1

Maybe Seg can agree that he will send a grandson to Earth to keep the Superman timeline intact.
Obviously the timeline is screwed up from all the information Adam Strange has told Seg and others - plus, there is more than one person from the future messing things up. 

And also, if the timeline does change, maybe another person will emerge as a Superman - or - things could change in such a way that Superman was not even needed. I believe it has been established that superheroes attract super-villains, who cause a lot of damage. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha