Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Last Ship

• Start Topic

My favorite scenes were Rollo, barely being able to walk dragging his battered self through the crowds of cheering and grateful people of Paris. And then being praised by his wife and the newly bad-ass Charles for saving the city.  Call it a combination of me always having liked Clive Standen's performance as Rollo and history getting its due - I rooted for Rollo. He looked so happy. 

I also loved the scene with Bjorn, Helga and Floki with the little boats. That was the first time in a long while that I liked Floki.

That scene with Bjorn, Floki and Helga was magical--I too loved it.

• Love 6

Bjorn is Lagertha's son that's why he looks more badass. Ragnar's other sons appear to have taken after their mother. Although Ivar doesn't look like either of them.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

I enjoyed the episode and I enjoy this show immensely, but the time jump left me feeling a bit empty.  I know we'll get some explanations as time goes on, but I agree with the other posters who said that little Siggy was forgotten all too easily. 

I figured that Lagertha was still alive and ruling Hedeby.  Remember that Floki seems to have some decent first aid skills for the time.  He seems to know antiseptic plants to use for wounds, etc, so we can assume that he was of great help when it came to treating himself as well as other injured Vikings such as Lagertha and Harald's brother.. 

But did anyone else see Torvi get hit by an arrow during the battle?  If she is still alive and with Bjorn, it seems that she would have been shown, at least briefly.  With Erlandur gone, she could take her son back to Kattegat to start a family with Bjorn if she'd wanted to.  I suppose we'll see her again as a close confidante of Lagertha's in Hedeby. 

Overall, the strangest thing to me was that Bjorn wasn't shown with a wife and/or children of his own after 6 or 7 years.  It just seems unlikely since he's heir to the thrown and he would want heirs of his own.  Bjorn does seem to be more mature and wiser and I'm not surprised that understands his father's pain.  As he mentioned, Ragnar went from being regarded as a god among his people to broken and defeated.  And in the end, he was really just a man like the rest of them.

Anyway, did anyone else wonder what happened to Torvi?  It seemed a little strange to build her character so much and then leave her out of the ending.

• Love 4

I love me some Gustaf, so I was happy to see the Floki redemption arc.  However, what happened to the "Is Floki the Seer or Loki" story line?  It seems as if he is hot and heavy into boat building again and too busy to be a seer.   I suppose that we will see at some point.  Going through VIKINGS withdrawal yet?  I'll keep it on DVR for a while.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the episode and I enjoy this show immensely, but the time jump left me feeling a bit empty. I know we'll get some explanations as time goes on, but I agree with the other posters who said that little Siggy was forgotten all too easily.

Overall, the strangest thing to me was that Bjorn wasn't shown with a wife and/or children of his own after 6 or 7 years. It just seems unlikely since he's heir to the thrown and he would want heirs of his own.

Agree and agree. I felt like there were too many loose ends left untied. I wanted to see how Lagaertha and Bjorn reacted to Siggy's death and how Ragnar handled such a crushing defeat. What happened to the Finehair brothers? Did they just slink back to their kingdom or did they blame Ragnar for not being able to get the job done?

As far as Bjorn, I'm surprised we didn't see him and Torvi together with a few kids of their own. It's kind of strange that it just seems to be him and his boozy stepmother as the major players left in Kattegat.

• Love 3

Why would Lageartha be in Kattegat? She has her own Earldom to run.

They didn't show Lagertha back in Kattegat.  I just assumed she would have headed back to Hedeby after the defeat in Paris. 

I'm thinking she is done with husbands/male partners though.  She hasn't had very good luck with them and after Kalf, it seems that most guys would be hesitant to get with her!

• Love 1

Agree and agree. I felt like there were too many loose ends left untied. I wanted to see how Lagaertha and Bjorn reacted to Siggy's death and how Ragnar handled such a crushing defeat. What happened to the Finehair brothers? Did they just slink back to their kingdom or did they blame Ragnar for not being able to get the job done?

As far as Bjorn, I'm surprised we didn't see him and Torvi together with a few kids of their own. It's kind of strange that it just seems to be him and his boozy stepmother as the major players left in Kattegat.

I'm sure the Finehair bros will be showing their tattooed faces again.  Even if everyone was blaming Ragnar for the defeat in Paris, most of them, including the Finehair boys, were pretty beaten up and exhausted. Therefore, it made sense to me that everyone who survived just needed to recover before any real Ragnar bashing began.  And as we know, he took off as soon as he was strong enough to walk out of town. 

Someone made a comment as to how Ragnar could have gotten by on his own.  It actually seems that with his knowledge of farming and hunting, he probably could have easily survived as long as he had some sort of shelter from the cold.  In those days, the unpolluted lakes and streams were full of fish and the woods were full of animals. 

Keep in mind also that Ragnar tends to "play the long game."  He had a back-up plan for the first assault on Paris, and once he got off the drugs, he probably got back to being like his old self.  He may have been "broken" as Bjorn put it, but Ragnar always seems to do things for a reason.  Getting baptized was part of his long game that led up to the Trojan Horse Coffin Trick, so taking off for a few years may have had a purpose as well.  He boldly walked back into town and pretty much dared anyone to kill him, but he knew that nobody would really have the cajones to actually do it.  And if they did, well, so be it, but he seemed to know the odds.  And the odds were that everybody would be so flabbergasted when he returned that they'd barely be able to speak, let alone cut him down.  He may be crazy, but it works for him. 

Since she can't bare a child of her own, I wonder if Lagertha has selected or taken on an heir to eventually succeed her.

That sounds like a major plot line for a future episode, actually. Someone is bound to be scheming against her again.  Bjorn to the rescue!

• Love 3

Rollo crying as the Vikings pulled put of Paris was such a moving scene. There was such a sense of finality for Rollo, watching his past sail down the river. Even though he was on bad terms with Ragnar it had to suck knowing you were never going to see your family or friends again.

I'm not sure why there's so much renewed interest in the Wessex settlement. Hell, half the people who knew about it are probably dead at this point. I can't imagine the villagers would be so up in arms they'd want to make Ragnar pay for it somehow. Violent death was the cost of doing business back then.

I think I'm in the minority here, but for me, teenage Ivar is a miscast. Between the broad, coarse features and dark brown hair, he's just not believable as Ragnar and Aslaug's son. The other actors fit, although Sigurd's resemblance to Erlander is a bit distracting.

I am surprised that in eight years Bjorn hasn't married and had more kids. Also, who's officially in charge of Kattegat? At what point would they figure Ragnar is dead or not coming back? And what the heck has he been doing all this time?

Nice post.  You summed up Rollo's farewell to his family so well.  I do like that Ivar looks so different than his brothers cause the blonde hair gets a bit samey.  Maybe he gets his dark hair etc from Aslaug's legendary/mythic father she always brags about but who I doubt even existed.  Anyway it is a nice way to make Ivar stand out more though "stand" might be a wee bit an insensitive term to describe it.

I assume Bjorn and Torvi are married.  No need to see Torvi or if there are any kids cause dramatically that wasn't needed this episode which is just a middle episode in a 20 episode season so when originally filmed there was no need to fill in all the details right away I'd think.

Now to the bolded Wessex point you raised.  I think it is the biggest deal possible because:

(1) As one of Aslaug's rugrats mentioned, half of Kattegat had family or friends that were part of that settlement. 

(2)  That settlement was the future of the Viking race since they have overpopulated their lands and the soil there is too poor to support their growing numbers.  The rich farmland of England gives them the very key to their continued growth and existence.  Ragnar saw early on that that was the real wealth of England and pressed so hard for the settlement as the thin edge of a Viking wedge there from the beginning.

(3) The fact that Ragner hid the news doesn't make him too popular among his people right now.  They weren't upset that he was gone so long in that scene at the end than the fact that he had hid the settlement's fate from them I think.  And "they" are the people at large because I assume the Wessex incident has gotten out to everyone by now.

(4)  The Wessex settlement was part of a larger peace treaty between the Vikings and the Saxons where the Vikings agreed to stay out of England for their part of the deal and raid elsewhere.  With the Franks too strong to take on anymore and the Saxons having broken their end of the treaty guess where we will be going to in the second half of this season? 

(5) To sum up, the Wessex settlement news sets up the major story arc for the second part of this season.  Major foreshadowing putting it in drama terms.

So Bjorn's plans for a Med vacation, Vikings style, may have to be placed on hold until Merry Olde England is dealt with.  Though I guess they could split story arcs between the two but I'd rather see the whole gang together myself.  I hate split story arcs.

I figured that Lagertha was still alive and ruling Hedeby.  Remember that Floki seems to have some decent first aid skills for the time.  He seems to know antiseptic plants to use for wounds, etc, so we can assume that he was of great help when it came to treating himself as well as other injured Vikings such as Lagertha and Harald's brother.. 

But did anyone else see Torvi get hit by an arrow during the battle?  If she is still alive and with Bjorn, it seems that she would have been shown, at least briefly.  With Erlandur gone, she could take her son back to Kattegat to start a family with Bjorn if she'd wanted to.  I suppose we'll see her again as a close confidante of Lagertha's in Hedeby. 

Overall, the strangest thing to me was that Bjorn wasn't shown with a wife and/or children of his own after 6 or 7 years.  It just seems unlikely since he's heir to the thrown and he would want heirs of his own.  Bjorn does seem to be more mature and wiser and I'm not surprised that understands his father's pain.  As he mentioned, Ragnar went from being regarded as a god among his people to broken and defeated.  And in the end, he was really just a man like the rest of them.

Anyway, did anyone else wonder what happened to Torvi?  It seemed a little strange to build her character so much and then leave her out of the ending.

About Torvi my take is above.  I assume she is with Bjorn but wasn't needed in this episode.  I didn't see her struck by an arrow though.  Will have to re-watch for that.

I agree Lagertha would be back in Hedeby.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Ragnar hadn't been there if not all along but in part.  But my guess is probably wrong about Ragnar because who can predict that guy.

Great summation of Bjorn and Ragnar too.

Since she can't bare a child of her own, I wonder if Lagertha has selected or taken on an heir to eventually succeed her.

Torvi's son Guthrum is there.  I assume he will become a very major character in Vikings: The Next Generation too and wouldn't be surprised if he takes over for Lagertha.  She seemed to have a close relationship with him and promised Torvi she would be responsible for him when Torvi left with Bjorn.

Of course this leaves the question of where is Torvi up in the air since you would think her son would be with her but she and Bjorn seem a real couple.  But parent-kid relationships were different in those days and in that culture so maybe Torvi is fine with Lagertha as Guthrum's surrogate parent instead.  And with Bjorn as Lagertha's real son it is all kind of extended family rules anyway so Kattegat and Hedeby are loosely related now too.

PS:  Anyone notice Ragnar didn't bring along his every day work sword in that scene.  He brought  along King Horik's fancy sword of rulership because he is back to make more than a "hello honey, I'm home" statement here.  And Ivar's look was so Gollem-like in "my precious, my precious" when he stared at that sword.

Edited by green
  • Love 4

I agree with the rest about wishing to see Bjorn finding out about Siggy's neglect and death. I thought Sigurd being such an observer would have led to something, but it didn't. Why is Aslaug still queen? With Ragnar gone, I would have expected Bjorn to be in charge. I need to see LAGERTHA!

• Love 3

I still think the Kattegut people are too hard on Ragnar.  I mean, sure, it was wrong not to tell them, not giving them a chance to retaliate, but it's not like he was the one responsible for the murders; he was as betrayed as they were.

• Love 3

Nice post.  You summed up Rollo's farewell to his family so well.  I do like that Ivar looks so different than his brothers cause the blonde hair gets a bit samey.  Maybe he gets his dark hair etc from Aslaug's legendary/mythic father she always brags about but who I doubt even existed.  Anyway it is a nice way to make Ivar stand out more though "stand" might be a wee bit an insensitive term to describe it.

I assume Bjorn and Torvi are married.  No need to see Torvi or if there are any kids cause dramatically that wasn't needed this episode which is just a middle episode in a 20 episode season so when originally filmed there was no need to fill in all the details right away I'd think.

Now to the bolded Wessex point you raised.  I think it is the biggest deal possible because:

(1) As one of Aslaug's rugrats mentioned, half of Kattegat had family or friends that were part of that settlement. 

(2)  That settlement was the future of the Viking race since they have overpopulated their lands and the soil there is too poor to support their growing numbers.  The rich farmland of England gives them the very key to their continued growth and existence.  Ragnar saw early on that that was the real wealth of England and pressed so hard for the settlement as the thin edge of a Viking wedge there from the beginning.

(3) The fact that Ragner hid the news doesn't make him too popular among his people right now.  They weren't upset that he was gone so long in that scene at the end than the fact that he had hid the settlement's fate from them I think.  And "they" are the people at large because I assume the Wessex incident has gotten out to everyone by now.

(4)  The Wessex settlement was part of a larger peace treaty between the Vikings and the Saxons where the Vikings agreed to stay out of England for their part of the deal and raid elsewhere.  With the Franks too strong to take on anymore and the Saxons having broken their end of the treaty guess where we will be going to in the second half of this season? 

(5) To sum up, the Wessex settlement news sets up the major story arc for the second part of this season.  Major foreshadowing putting it in drama terms.

So Bjorn's plans for a Med vacation, Vikings style, may have to be placed on hold until Merry Olde England is dealt with.  Though I guess they could split story arcs between the two but I'd rather see the whole gang together myself.  I hate split story arcs.

About Torvi my take is above.  I assume she is with Bjorn but wasn't needed in this episode.  I didn't see her struck by an arrow though.  Will have to re-watch for that.

I agree Lagertha would be back in Hedeby.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Ragnar hadn't been there if not all along but in part.  But my guess is probably wrong about Ragnar because who can predict that guy.

Great summation of Bjorn and Ragnar too.

Torvi's son Guthrum is there.  I assume he will become a very major character in Vikings: The Next Generation too and wouldn't be surprised if he takes over for Lagertha.  She seemed to have a close relationship with him and promised Torvi she would be responsible for him when Torvi left with Bjorn.

Of course this leaves the question of where is Torvi up in the air since you would think her son would be with her but she and Bjorn seem a real couple.  But parent-kid relationships were different in those days and in that culture so maybe Torvi is fine with Lagertha as Guthrum's surrogate parent instead.  And with Bjorn as Lagertha's real son it is all kind of extended family rules anyway so Kattegat and Hedeby are loosely related now too.

PS:  Anyone notice Ragnar didn't bring along his every day work sword in that scene.  He brought  along King Horik's fancy sword of rulership because he is back to make more than a "hello honey, I'm home" statement here.  And Ivar's look was so Gollem-like in "my precious, my precious" when he stared at that sword.

You're right.  We can probably still assume that Torvi is with Bjorn.  I also thought of the fact that Guthrum could become an important character.  Keep in mind also that he is Jarl Borg's son, so that may give him some claim to Borg's Earldom. 

I didn't notice that the sword Ragnar had was the special "Sword of Kings" he took from Horik.  I remembered that one being fancier-looking, but I'm definitely going to rewatch the show tonight. (I'm such a Vikings nerd!) 

That's not a bad theory that Ragnar was hanging out in Hedeby, but since Bjorn has likely had frequent contact with his mom, she'd have had to lie to him about Ragnar's whereabouts.

I agree with the rest about wishing to see Bjorn finding out about Siggy's neglect and death. I thought Sigurd being such an observer would have led to something, but it didn't. Why is Aslaug still queen? With Ragnar gone, I would have expected Bjorn to be in charge. I need to see LAGERTHA!

It seems that with their customs, a new king can't step in until the old one is dead.  That's so cool that so many fans are anxious to see Lagertha again.  It shows how strong of a character she is.

• Love 2

I'm not sure why there's so much renewed interest in the Wessex settlement. Hell, half the people who knew about it are probably dead at this point. I can't imagine the villagers would be so up in arms they'd want to make Ragnar pay for it somehow. Violent death was the cost of doing business back then.

I wondered the same thing last night.  The only thing I can think of that might make this more relevant is if Lagethra finds out.  She worked along side those people starting the settlement, didn't she?  I can't imagine she would be happy to hear how it ended.  

Adding that I know I am in the minority here, but the episode did nothing for me.   I think the entire season has not been up to par with  previous seasons.   In fact, I went to bed after Bjorn talked to Loki (even though there were only a few minutes left).  So, I missed the end, but frankly don't care all that much any more.

Edited by mwell345

I still think the Kattegut people are too hard on Ragnar. I mean, sure, it was wrong not to tell them, not giving them a chance to retaliate, but it's not like he was the one responsible for the murders; he was as betrayed as they were.

I agree. It's not like being a Northman in hostile territory came without risk. If the whole purpose of the Wessex settlement was to grow food, shouldn't the villagers have become a little suspicious that no boats ever returned with harvested crops? Surely it doesn't take ten years to grow barley or whatever the heck they ate back then.

I think Ragnar had legitimate reasons for keeping things close to the vest, but the sons' anger seems a little misplaced. Unless it's a plot device for some kind of power play. Ivar looked ready to go all Tonya Harding on Ragnar's kneecaps.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I have no doubt that Asslog has been filling her sons' with venom against their father for years.  Ragnar's love for his children was very obvious so, while I get their pain at being abandoned, they know their father loved them. 

Ivar is definitely one to watch. I thought he was going to start gnawing on Ragnar's leg at point!

• Love 4

I enjoyed the episode and I enjoy this show immensely, but the time jump left me feeling a bit empty.  I know we'll get some explanations as time goes on, but I agree with the other posters who said that little Siggy was forgotten all too easily. 

She got shot in her left arm--on the boat I believe it showed a quick glimpse of her nursing her wound--she was on the right side of the screen. I'm watching it again in an hour so will look--it';s just a brief flash-- you see Lagertha on the floor of the boat and then Torvi.

• Love 1

What an interesting shot that was of Helga's arm reaching down to pick up Floki's toy boat in the harbor!  For a few moments there, I thought we were watching the movie "Jason and the Argonauts", and rather than Helga's arm, that was instead the hand and arm of one of the Greek goddesses, who was bent on stirring up trouble for some mortal, or maybe causing a ship to capsize....

Floki seemed to have more gravitas after the time leap.  Unexplained things abounded this season, and we really were never shown what Floki's new powers meant going forward.  This time, we merely got shots of the seer wailing.  I suppose he was crying because he sensed their defeat?

Finally, someone in Paris is on their knees praying.  Good scene with Princess Gisla in the chapel; I think it explains a lot.  She asks the Holy Mother to protect and forgive Rollo, knowing that even at that moment, Rollo may be attempting to kill Ragnar in the battle.

And, I was wondering what happened to the arm band that Rollo gave to Gisla, and now I am satisfied, especially as it was used so effectively in the chapel.  The scene where Rollo gave it to her is one of my favorites.

Speaking of adornments, bracelets, and body art, I believe Hirst did miss an opportunity for a scene in which Rollo could have been asked about his tattoos.  The logical person to ask would have been Gisla, of course.  I believe Rollo was supposed to have a tattoo of a wolf on his left bicep; the trouble is, if you look back to prior seasons, the tattoos kept changing, and maybe that's a macaw now on his arm?  :)  Nonetheless, considering the popularity of tattoos worldwide currently, a scene like that would have meant something to a large contingent of viewers, and it would also make sense, plot-wise, as a curiosity in the eyes of the Frankish court.  I will never get a tattoo, but any man I have ever asked about his tattoos always seemed eager to talk about them.  OK, enough.

I was captivated by the scene in Kattegat where Aslaug interrupts Bjorn's spear fishing to ask him to see a visitor.  My, my, Bjorn is looking fine, walking barefoot with his damp feet into the new, fancy digs.  If this were the 21st Century, the great hall would be a country club reception room, and owner/manager Bjorn would leave poolside with a towel flung over his shoulder to greet the guest.

Alexander Ludwig is doing a good acting job as Bjorn.  He's giving us a nicely studied portrayal of an introvert.  Sees much, shares little.  Loyal to the core; can be trusted implicitly with a confidence.  Speaks up simply about his father when it is important.  Seems able to move on from first girlfriend Porrun, and doesn't mind spending time in the little cabin out in the middle of nowhere during the winter.  Fabulous.

I think, of all things promised for upcoming seasons, I most look forward to seeing the adult Alfred the Great.  (But maybe not till Season 5?  Will be hard to wait for this!)

• Love 5

I know everyone hates Gisla too, but I was quite moved by her prayer

I was shocked when she put his "Viking" bracelet at the feet of the Madonna.

"Ivar the Boneless" was a real person. A brutal Viking leader who was carried around on a shield. That could lead us to draw some conclusions about the show's future episodes.

Ívarr hinn Beinlausi (or Ivar the Boneless) was the name my Grandmother always used for the "boogie man" whenever a door slams or something strange happens.

I think I'm in the minority here, but for me, teenage Ivar is a miscast. Between the broad, coarse features and dark brown hair, he's just not believable as Ragnar and Aslaug's son. The other actors fit, although Sigurd's resemblance to Erlander is a bit distracting.

Google Sami people....my family is way too Norweigian (bordering on translucent)...one niece looks nothing like either side but while doing some Norway research we discovered she looks Sami...so throwbacks happen.

Do we really have to wait until Fall?

• Love 3

i liked the scene with the sons of ragnar discussing why/how Ragnar left. And I think Bjorn summed it up well, since he had seen this is how Ragnar is when he first cheated on Lagertha and wanted a polygamous deal lol. He had since long forgiven him of course, but then he saw that despite Ragnar's fame, he was still human.

And how we're going to see the Med soon......possibly Muslims in Spain, or maybe the same Pope that got Alfred to kiss Jesus' thorns lol.

It would be interesting to see how Rollo is now in this time jump, if he has other kids, or if he is in Paris and not in Rouen. Judging from what the raider said to Bjorn/Aslaug, that Ecbert is still alive, and now Alfred would be in his late teens. Presumably Aelle is still alive, and if I were Aelle I'd ally with Ragnar or Bjorn to defeat Ecbert. 

What an interesting shot that was of Helga's arm reaching down to pick up Floki's toy boat in the harbor!  For a few moments there, I thought we were watching the movie "Jason and the Argonauts", and rather than Helga's arm, that was instead the hand and arm of one of the Greek goddesses, who was bent on stirring up trouble for some mortal, or maybe causing a ship to capsize....

Floki seemed to have more gravitas after the time leap.  Unexplained things abounded this season, and we really were never shown what Floki's new powers meant going forward.  This time, we merely got shots of the seer wailing.  I suppose he was crying because he sensed their defeat?

Finally, someone in Paris is on their knees praying.  Good scene with Princess Gisla in the chapel; I think it explains a lot.  She asks the Holy Mother to protect and forgive Rollo, knowing that even at that moment, Rollo may be attempting to kill Ragnar in the battle.

And, I was wondering what happened to the arm band that Rollo gave to Gisla, and now I am satisfied, especially as it was used so effectively in the chapel.  The scene where Rollo gave it to her is one of my favorites.

Speaking of adornments, bracelets, and body art, I believe Hirst did miss an opportunity for a scene in which Rollo could have been asked about his tattoos.  The logical person to ask would have been Gisla, of course.  I believe Rollo was supposed to have a tattoo of a wolf on his left bicep; the trouble is, if you look back to prior seasons, the tattoos kept changing, and maybe that's a macaw now on his arm?  :)  Nonetheless, considering the popularity of tattoos worldwide currently, a scene like that would have meant something to a large contingent of viewers, and it would also make sense, plot-wise, as a curiosity in the eyes of the Frankish court.  I will never get a tattoo, but any man I have ever asked about his tattoos always seemed eager to talk about them.  OK, enough.

I was captivated by the scene in Kattegat where Aslaug interrupts Bjorn's spear fishing to ask him to see a visitor.  My, my, Bjorn is looking fine, walking barefoot with his damp feet into the new, fancy digs.  If this were the 21st Century, the great hall would be a country club reception room, and owner/manager Bjorn would leave poolside with a towel flung over his shoulder to greet the guest.

Alexander Ludwig is doing a good acting job as Bjorn.  He's giving us a nicely studied portrayal of an introvert.  Sees much, shares little.  Loyal to the core; can be trusted implicitly with a confidence.  Speaks up simply about his father when it is important.  Seems able to move on from first girlfriend Porrun, and doesn't mind spending time in the little cabin out in the middle of nowhere during the winter.  Fabulous.

I think, of all things promised for upcoming seasons, I most look forward to seeing the adult Alfred the Great.  (But maybe not till Season 5?  Will be hard to wait for this!)

Bjorn to me still acts and reacts to things the same as when he was a teen or in the Jarl Borg/King Horik/Paris arcs. He still defers to Ragnar like a kid, and doesn't really stand up to him. He needs to not just as a man, but as the heir to Danish throne. Ragnar beats him down verbally, just like he did when Bjorn was a kid.

• Love 1

i liked the scene with the sons of ragnar discussing why/how Ragnar left. And I think Bjorn summed it up well, since he had seen this is how Ragnar is when he first cheated on Lagertha and wanted a polygamous deal lol. He had since long forgiven him of course, but then he saw that despite Ragnar's fame, he was still human.

And how we're going to see the Med soon......possibly Muslims in Spain, or maybe the same Pope that got Alfred to kiss Jesus' thorns lol.

It would be interesting to see how Rollo is now in this time jump, if he has other kids, or if he is in Paris and not in Rouen. Judging from what the raider said to Bjorn/Aslaug, that Ecbert is still alive, and now Alfred would be in his late teens. Presumably Aelle is still alive, and if I were Aelle I'd ally with Ragnar or Bjorn to defeat Ecbert. 

Bjorn to me still acts and reacts to things the same as when he was a teen or in the Jarl Borg/King Horik/Paris arcs. He still defers to Ragnar like a kid, and doesn't really stand up to him. He needs to not just as a man, but as the heir to Danish throne. Ragnar beats him down verbally, just like he did when Bjorn was a kid.

Regarding the Bjorn/Ragnar relationship.  My quiet brother was like this with my dad.  It took time for him to gain enough confidence to stand up to our strong father.  Same thing should happen with Bjorn, given time.  In his past interactions (Jarl Borg/Paris), Bjorn was not even out of adolescence yet, as that developmental stage lasts until age 25 or so.  It helps if you have a wife and kids, and we didn't see Bjorn's yet in the time-jump (will it be Torvi?  I guess all will be revealed in the next season).

I still think the Kattegut people are too hard on Ragnar.  I mean, sure, it was wrong not to tell them, not giving them a chance to retaliate, but it's not like he was the one responsible for the murders; he was as betrayed as they were.

Yep. but then they had invested a lot, and it was an investment for them all. and as Ragnar acts/acted on integrity, then they don't know if he was always honest. 

I think I'm in the minority here, but for me, teenage Ivar is a miscast. Between the broad, coarse features and dark brown hair, he's just not believable as Ragnar and Aslaug's son. 

I am surprised that in eight years Bjorn hasn't married and had more kids.

I'm right there with you about Ivar.  What the hell was that on his head?  A beaver pelt?  That hairdo was hella distracting.  And the blue-tinted "whites" of his eyes -- what is that about?  Is that supposed to be a symptom of whatever syndrome he suffers from?

And I had the same thought about Bjorn.  I am hopeful that Torvi survived and has given birth so several children of Bjorn's during the time jump.  No reason why that can't be revealed when the show returns.

Four new characters!  (Or at least new actors -- playing the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok.)  The three sons that can walk are going to have to wear name-tags for me to keep them straight.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

He was responsible for murdering the farmer who told him about the settlement.  To our knowledge, only Floki and now Bjorn and Helga know about that.

I just have to say that the scene in Paris with Rollo being crowned Ceasar lifted my spirits. Best part of this episode.

Now about Ivan and Floki. Remember that Floki has been Ivan's teacher. There will be much more to this story. Though I would be perfectly fine if Ivan was just written off and we move on with history. I don't find that character compelling in the least.

Excellent balanced episode.

• Love 2

I believe the blue hued whites of Ivar's eyes are a symptom of osteogenesis imperfecta, the congenital disease he may have had.

I hope with the time jump that we never have to see Princess Bitchface again.

• Love 2

I think Bjorn really would not have cared much. Not once did he show any interest in baby Siggy while she was alive--so I can't see him getting all sentimental about her death. Lagertha would have been unhappy I think, but Bjorn was too busy going on vision quests  in the snow while the child was still alive, and making Aslaug mad because he didn't care--and that's quite something, because she didn't care, either.

I didn't much care for the young man playing adult Ivar--because the child was so blond--and this guy is dark haired, and sounds like he's Inuit.  The one who's the dead ringer for Erlunder--is he a brother of the actor who played him? My husband and I both thought at first, it was the same actor. They certainly look alike. 

It wasn't the best episode of the year, but it was nice to see Ragnar come back apparently after having been in Rehab for 6 years--he looks clean and sober! :)

Bah, I don't care for Bjorn's character much at all, so when the old guard get's killed off, that will probably wrap up my love of this show. I loved Ragnar and Floki and Lagertha, Helga, Siggy 1 and the kids from the get-go, but the show has become far too big for it's britches, and I'm sort of sad for the show of old that I fell in love with.  There were some flashes of brilliance this year, but for the most part I was disappointed. 

• Love 1

I just have to say that the scene in Paris with Rollo being crowned Ceasar lifted my spirits. Best part of this episode.

Now about Ivan and Floki. Remember that Floki has been Ivan's teacher. There will be much more to this story. Though I would be perfectly fine if Ivan was just written off and we move on with history. I don't find that character compelling in the least.

Excellent balanced episode.

My father's name was Ivan--but this guy's name is "IVAR". He was a real person in history, at least in the Viking sagas Ivar the Boneless was a real, and really mean, guy. He's the one who 

Has King Aelle blood eagled in retaliation for his killing of Ragnar

• Love 1

Is it just my imagination or did it appear that Rollo deliberately pushed Ragnar onto the boat that Bjorn and Lagertha were on as it was taking off? I was expecting Rollo to finish Ragnar and believe he had the opportunity to but it seemed to me that he really didn't want that, I felt he just wanted to win against Ragnar and be victorious for Franka.

• Love 3

I have no doubt that Asslog has been filling her sons' with venom against their father for years. Ragnar's love for his children was very obvious so, while I get their pain at being abandoned, they know their father loved them.

Ivar is definitely one to watch. I thought he was going to start gnawing on Ragnar's leg at point!

I found out interesting Ivar was one of the only ones to somewhat defend Ragnar of the younger boys. I would have thought for sure he'd despise him.

Is it just my imagination or did it appear that Rollo deliberately pushed Ragnar onto the boat that Bjorn and Lagertha were on as it was taking off? I was expecting Rollo to finish Ragnar and believe he had the opportunity to but it seemed to me that he really didn't want that, I felt he just wanted to win against Ragnar and be victorious for Franka.

At the end of the day the couldn't kill each other. I'm going to have to watch again, I wasn't sure if he was pushed or pulled. Rollo also stopped them from firing more arrows.

• Love 5

Ívarr hinn Beinlausi (or Ivar the Boneless) was the name my Grandmother always used for the "boogie man" whenever a door slams or something strange happens.

My Baba's father was a soldier in Tsar Nicholas' army. When my mother or one of her siblings misbehaved, she would call them "Rasputin".  Ancestry is amazing!!

I don't see Björn as lacking confidence around his father. He defers to his father's wisdom as king but certainly had no problem taking over when Ragnar was in the throes of addiction. He is quiet like Ragnar and observes much. 

• Love 5

The battle scene was amazing but even more startling was the time shift in the second half.  Man, those boys are scary, especially Ivar.  What a menacing dude, even without the use of his legs.  (And what was that with the blue eyes CGI?  Very distracting. eta Thanks, LittleIggy for pointing out it may be a symptom of his condition.)  I wonder if we'll ever hear what Ragnar was doing all those years.

Wonderful acting as usual from Fimmel in the scene where the boats pulled away and again when he showed up in the village (er, city).  That is a broken man.

Loved, loved the scene with Bjorn and Floki.  You're asking me to go to a land no one has seen?  (Breaks into a huge grin.)  Of course I'll go!
Bjorn has grown into a fantastic character.  Just goes to show how much better a mother Lagertha was than Aslaug.  If we have to lose Ragnar I wouldn't mind following Bjorn on his adventure (as long as Lagertha goes too).

About the men being aged up but not so the women, I thought Helga looked older.  (I'm sorry she and Floki didn't have another child.)  Aslaug may not have looked much older, but she was definitely not the beauty she once was.  Bitterness and alcohol will do that.  Rode hard and put away wet kind of look.  At least she was successful in growing the town.

Though I would be perfectly fine if Ivan was just written off and we move on with history. I don't find that character compelling in the least.

I don't like him either but he's too important to leave out.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5

He was responsible for murdering the farmer who told him about the settlement.  To our knowledge, only Floki and now Bjorn and Helga know about that.

I know he murdered the farmer; I said that he wasn't responsible for the settlement murders.

I don't see Björn as lacking confidence around his father. He defers to his father's wisdom as king but certainly had no problem taking over when Ragnar was in the throes of addiction. He is quiet like Ragnar and observes much.

I don't see Bjorn as  lacking confidence either.  He's so much like his father.

• Love 1

Why does the returned Ragnar still seem to be on narcotics?   I was hoping his years on walkabout would restore some of his shrewd, contemplative demeanor.   But he's still raging.  

I don't think he was high at all in that scene. Imo, that was the best gambit to keep himself alive and sit back in his chair.  He strolled in, spelled out exactly why he was a terrible king, and dared anyone to step up and correct it. He specifically challenged each able son with a claim to take over. And no one took it, because they were too mind boggled to act. Anyone who was there and refused to take the sword basically has the taint of "coward" written all over them now. Can you imagine how Kattegat would react if any of them decided to change their mind later and try to challenge Ragnar? They'd be run out of town. 

I think he's supposed to look apart from the other sons. He has Herbard's (sp?) coloring, and those weird blue-white eyes. I think Ivar is supposed to be changed as a result of his close connection with Aslaug's side piece. And/or maybe it's Aslaug's blood finally showing, if her father did actually slay a dragon, she's got some crazy supernatural business going on.

Glad to see Rollo the Beserker is still in there. The first Paris sacking, a Viking who was afraid to climb the ropes and face the Frankish got head-butted to death via Rollo. Now he's on the other side, and his first reaction to cowardice is to gut the dude and kick him off the boat. 

I can see Bjorn being detached from having children because his whole life was basically ruined because of Ragnar's obsession with having many sons. 

• Love 2

I started rewatching last night.   The changes between Episode 1 and this episode are stark and poignant -- Ragnar's demeanor, his bond with Rollo, his love of Lagertha and devotion to Bjorn ... Episode 1 was like watching home movies.   It reminds you how much Ragnar lost in his quest for discovery and greatness.

• Love 6

I enjoyed the first part, and the battle was great.  They should have saved the time jump for the second half and given us the return to Kattegat.  Everyone was waiting to see the reactions to Siggy's death,  drunk Aslaug and crazy Ivar and the implosion of pregnant women from Harbard's visit.  But no.  We get a 8 yr jump, I don't know which kid is which and I don't care about them.  Someone needs to step on Ivar.

• Love 2

I don't think he was high at all in that scene. Imo, that was the best gambit to keep himself alive and sit back in his chair.  He strolled in, spelled out exactly why he was a terrible king, and dared anyone to step up and correct it. He specifically challenged each able son with a claim to take over. And no one took it, because they were too mind boggled to act. Anyone who was there and refused to take the sword basically has the taint of "coward" written all over them now. Can you imagine how Kattegat would react if any of them decided to change their mind later and try to challenge Ragnar? They'd be run out of town. 

I didn't see him as under the influence at all anymore, either. He kicked that monkey I think. To me, this is the closest to the old Ragnar we have seen all season--his coming home to Kattegat was bittersweet and showed Ragnar still has fire in his belly. BUT--I would think that Bjorn--born in Kattegat and the oldest child--would be the King if Ragnar died, though Bjorn would not kill him to do it. The other kids though...not so much. Ivar is the only one who sticks up for him, when they were all talking about him. Which gives me hope for the little insane kid that he was, perhaps there's a wee bit of...good in him? One can hope... 

I started rewatching last night.   The changes between Episode 1 and this episode are stark and poignant -- Ragnar's demeanor, his bond with Rollo, his love of Lagertha and devotion to Bjorn ... Episode 1 was like watching home movies.   It reminds you how much Ragnar lost in his quest for discovery and greatness.

Yeah, I keep meaning to rewatch some of the early episodes, to feel that same surprising change; Fimmel and others have done a fantastic job of showing us these characters growing, changing, reacting.  I think that's when I like this show best, when the story and perspective seems more like a living documentary of things that happened, not a fan-driven plot about who we're supposed to "root" for as Good Guys and Bad Guys.  The time jumps etc don't bother me: we're getting a personalized tour through history(ish) with this show, and it's not always going to be about Ragnar's personal quest for glory and fame, but seeing how the effects of these two civilizations clashing play out both immediately and over the years ; can you imagine if we had to watch ~20 seasons in real time to get this much story? :)

To me, last night was a really good episode, because we see basically the last big siege of Paris from this generation's Vikings, and what that meant to all of them.  As it happens, I was kind of rooting for Rollo, and you can't blame the man for "betraying" the Vikings: his life must be fantastic these days.  Princess wife, probably a bevy of healthy, doted on kids; he's living in castles- heck, Charles has probably giving him one of his own at this point- being waited on hand and foot; not to mention he is adored and beloved as the mother-effin' Savior of Paris and Hero of Francia, every where he goes.  Sure beats living grimy in some fishing village, having your older brother subtly mock you as a perpetual second fiddle!  And kudos to Charles, who showed that his faith in his daughter, and by extension the savage northman Rollo, paid off big time.  I do hope, while it's not a big plot thread anymore, we do "check in" on Francia and Rollo from time to time.

Random thought, but was anyone else reminded of Rami Malek of "Mr. Robot" (great show if you haven't seen it, btw), when they first showed adult Ivar's face?  I had a moment's thought that maybe we'll get a spin-off show focusing on Ivar's life called "Mr. Ragnar". :)

• Love 5

Rollo did achieve all those things, but I think deep in his heart he will always know that it's just second best.   He may have beaten Ragnar, but he never got to be Ragnar, and that's what always ate at him, to the point that he lusted after Lagertha and regarded Bjorn with a wistful envy.   He became the Savior of Paris, but he will always be a stranger in a strange land, far from home, n'est-ce pas?

• Love 6

I quite enjoyed this mid season finale and frankly, I'm glad it's done for now. Ten episodes of a show is enough for me, especially with new stuff starting. It keeps a season tight.

The time jump was a jolt, but they said Magnus was 12 now, so it's about 8 years ahead. I think it's interesting that Ivar cocks his head in the same way as Ragnar (and Bjorn) and has the same piercing stare too.

Surprised about all the speculation about Lagertha, she was in the previews for the fall season. I'm thinking specifically about the scene where Aslaug and Lagertha have a stare down, with one of them saying, "There can only be one queen in Kattegut."

I really wish this show would get more publicity and some award noms. Ragnar and Bjorn should get acting noms, at the very least.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the first part, and the battle was great. They should have saved the time jump for the second half and given us the return to Kattegat. Everyone was waiting to see the reactions to Siggy's death, drunk Aslaug and crazy Ivar and the implosion of pregnant women from Harbard's visit. But no. We get a 8 yr jump, I don't know which kid is which and I don't care about them. Someone needs to step on Ivar.

I think the time jumps are the one thing this show doesn't do well. Not because they're unnecessary, but because they're so awkwardly placed. IIRC, the first time jump occurred halfway through a season premiere and now this one occurred halfway through a season finale. They definitely could've handled the transition a bit more smoothly.

Regarding Rollo, I think someone in his position would have mixed emotions. Yes, he's upgraded his lifestyle nicely, but deep down he knows the Vikings have more street cred. A foreign king would probably fear a grizzled Ragnar more so than Rollo with his puffy sleeves and barrel curls. Ragnar earned his throne whereas Rollo came into power by way of political machinations. In many ways he's still second fiddle.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Rollo did achieve all those things, but I think deep in his heart he will always know that it's just second best.   He may have beaten Ragnar, but he never got to be Ragnar, and that's what always ate at him, to the point that he lusted after Lagertha and regarded Bjorn with a wistful envy.   He became the Savior of Paris, but he will always be a stranger in a strange land, far from home, n'est-ce pas?

I believe though in the big history sweepstakes

Rollo wins handily over Ragnar - IMO Ragnar, who died in a snake pit and may actually historically be more legend than real can't compare to Rollo who started a powerful line that continues to this day and has influenced European history for centuries. Normandy became significant really quick after being given to Rollo.

Edited by saoirse
Needed more spoiler tag

I believe though in the big history sweepstakes

Rollo wins handily over Ragnar - IMO Ragnar, who died in a snake pit and may actually historically be more legend than real can't compare to Rollo who started a powerful line that continues to this day and has influenced European history for centuries. Normandy became significant really quick after being given to Rollo.

Rollo won this in a big way. Live to die in a shithole or live where you can create your legacy. What culture stands now? Certainly not one by the Vikings. Paris came out quite well.

If the show is following history, we are about to see some very nasty stuff from Ivan the boneless. Probably some pretty grotesque things, which is one reason I despise the savagery society of the Vikings.

Watching the battle scene, Rollo definately saved Ragnar and also called off the attack to let them go. He knew he accomplished the defense of Rome and it was "mission accomplished".

No we turn back to Wessex. Oh how nasty that is going to be.

Edited by saoirse
Spoiler tags

I think he's supposed to look apart from the other sons. He has Herbard's (sp?) coloring, and those weird blue-white eyes. I think Ivar is supposed to be changed as a result of his close connection with Aslaug's side piece. And/or maybe it's Aslaug's blood finally showing, if her father did actually slay a dragon, she's got some crazy supernatural business going on.

Glad to see Rollo the Beserker is still in there. The first Paris sacking, a Viking who was afraid to climb the ropes and face the Frankish got head-butted to death via Rollo. Now he's on the other side, and his first reaction to cowardice is to gut the dude and kick him off the boat. 

I can see Bjorn being detached from having children because his whole life was basically ruined because of Ragnar's obsession with having many sons. 

I remember things differently--Rollo stabbed him in the gut with a sword then head-butted the guy overboard into the river.