Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Prince of Prints

• Start Topic

Woo Hoo!  Sam's gone despite our high expectation that there would be 4 in the final!!

I really liked Kini and Dom's looks this week.  With Ken's, I sort of wished he'd cut apart his Mood fabric and replaced the shiny bits with his digital pattern: a lot of work but it would have been a more cohesive look.

ps re the apology: not sure why they chose to cut out so much of what must have gone on: the apology as presented was really not an apology and pretty lame.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 4

I can't believe it. I thought sure Ken was gone. I figured they would eliminate him because he barely used the losing design. I thought it was smart because it meant he didn't have to sew a new dress. Of course Sam couldn't do that with his winning look because that winning look sucked.

• Love 6

Nina's "bitch please" look when Alyssa was saying that there couldn't be four in the finals - for the win!!

Suddenly, this week, Isaac is not impressed with Sam and his mesh?  I'm not complaining, I'm glad he's gone but that was just bizarre.  Maybe he was afraid Nina would smack him upside the head.

I wish there had been a reason for Dmitry to advise someone not to be a one- way monkey.  Maybe if he'd been paired with Sam.

• Love 20

If we all took a shot of something alcoholic everytime someone said 'fresh' we'd all be passed out before the show ended. 

And finally Sam gets the boot. Him and his mesh. All I kept thinking everytime I saw it was that's the stuff lining my kitchen cabinets. And that final challenge between Ken and Sam was stupid. Just something the producers decided  to throw in there to make the show an extra uneccessary half hour tonight. 

Im not a fan of prints so I felt Ken's pain. I thought everyone's except Sam's were pretty good. If I had to pick a case for my phone I would have picked the design of Kini's black and white top.

Alyssa's red dress. If you are going to wear a low cut neckline at least don't have your tan line showing, blend in some makeup and have your chest color one shade. 

I think the winner will be between Dom and Ken. 

• Love 8

I didn't really like anything tonight.  Dom's jacket had potential but the whole outfit looked meesy and slouchy.  Sam' jacket I didn't mind so much but I didn't care for the print and the outfit underneath was underwhelming.  I really liked Ken's prints together but it was a pretty boring piece.  Kini's, the prints were good but those shoulders had to go!

So, there went Isaac's love for Sam, replaced by Isaac's fear and respect for Nina Garcia (oh - and Marie Claire magazine....LOL!!)  

I actually thought that Kini's outfit was better than Dom's, although Dom's print was clearly more interesting and vibrant, and will look great as an Otterbox phone case.  I actually liked Kini's outfit more than Dom's, though.  I agree with Nina-I didn't get Dom's two-length hem, and the rest of the dress was just kind of "meh" to me.  

There should have been no contest between Ken and Sam.  Ken's may have been boring and "80's-ish", but it was far better than another poorly constructed MESH concoction from Sam.  That jumpsuit was bad, and made his model look dumpy.  The jacket just added to the dumpiness.  And, I really, really didn't like his print, at all.

When I saw those boxes and the sewing machines, I knew what was coming - wasn't there something similar on PR regular a couple of times?  

To me, Sam's reworked dress/jacket was horrible - I didn't get it at all!!  I wasn't crazy about Ken's either, but it was definitely better looking than Sam's.

Did we actually see some glimmer of humility in Sam, or was that just for the cameras?  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

And finally Sam gets the boot. Him and his mesh. All I kept thinking everytime I saw it was that's the stuff lining my kitchen cabinets. And that final challenge between Ken and Sam was stupid. Just something the producers decided  to throw in there to make the show an extra uneccessary half hour tonight.

You've made me realize that the mesh must be like the stuff I bought to put under the entry hall rug to keep it from slipping. I don't understand why someone would want to make clothes out of that.

• Love 14

I was so afraid Ken was going because he was getting so many talking heads. I liked both his runway look and the do-over look - I absolutely LOVED the do-over one. Sam's just scared me. I'm not sure if it was the real colours or my TV, but his whole do-over outfit looked like it clashed horribly.

• Love 8

I didn't like either of Sam's looks tonight, but I have liked a couple of his looks during the season. I'm glad he and Ken made up somewhat-simmering anger is no good for anyone. I think Kini should have been the winner of the challenge. Dom's outfit was just OK to me and even her print wasn't exciting. It was obvious Sam made his print because he thought it would be cool as a phone cover and he didn't think about the outfit. I couldn't believe the judges found anything likable about Sam's look.

In regard to the sew-off, I thought Sam's jacket was horrible. The bustier on the back of the jacket looked liked a home ec project. Ken's dress was really nice and considering they only had an hour, he did a great job. I hope either Ken or Kini pull off a win; Dom already had her day in the sun and I'm becoming bored with her look.

• Love 5

So, so glad Sam's gone.  I'm serious when I say that I can go to my local Dollar Store and buy an outfit that looks more expensive and well made than what he sent down the runway tonight.  Loved Dom's coat.

• Love 4

Add me to the chorus glad to see Sam gone. That mesh, ye gads!

I really hope Ken can pull out a win in the finale... I never would have believed I would type those words at the beginning of the season, but he has really come a long way since his season. 

• Love 9

I've watched every season of All-Stars, but I hadn't realized how much of a sausage fest the winner's circle was until the workroom was filled with a bunch of dudes and Dom. And I'm torn between being upset because, if you're going to bring Dmitry back, I demand more Dmitry screen time to just being glad to see him at all. 

As soon as it was 9:04 and the episode was still on, I knew we were getting a sew-off. The set-up was so contrived, and the results were meh, but if it meant finally being rid of Sam, bless that sew-off. 

• Love 7

Sam is gone! Sam is gone! Finally! 

I give him props for trying the redesign tie breaker, even though he was in way over his head. I think that tie-breaker was thrown in there to show Sam up for what he really was--able to sew, but definitely not a designer.

• Love 3

I haven't seen it yet, but now I know I can safely watch because not only didn't Sam WIN, but he was sent home. Ding, dong!

I was on the anyone but Sam train, as you all know, but if Dom wins, I'm seriously going to stop wasting time on All Stars. I understand that former winners are true "all stars" in the Project Runway world, at least, but I don't want to see people who have won a big prize previously, win a big prize again. Well, except for Dmitry. Dmitry can come back next season and win again. I will watch the hell out of that.

If they're dying to have former winners compete again, why not have a former winner's Project Runway, with everyone who would compete, anyway. We know Jay and Christian wouldn't come back, but they could even include the couple of non-winner All Stars winners (Mondo and Anthony Ryan are the only two I can remember) to make a larger cast. And let All Stars be people who were eliminated too soon on PR regular or people who went to the finale and didn't win. Or just give Dmitry a $100,000 prize every year. Yeah, I'd be okay with that.

• Love 12

I don't like Sam, and I'm happy to see him gone, but where did Isaac's change of heart come from??  Last week, and every single week of this season for that matter, Isaac has thought Sam was sooooo fresh, so modern, so innovative, so exciting!!  This week, he's soooo over the mesh, and he's just frustrated and bored with Sam in general.  

I just feel manipulated.  It seems/feels as though the entire season was designed to push an agenda...

"Let's make PR relevant again!  We'll take a widely reviled, incredibly polarizing, marginally talented designer and push him through to the end!  Isaac can fawn all over him, Georgina can gush about his talents...people will tune in just to see if this is finally the week we send him home!  But we WON'T send him home, well, not until the finale!  Everyone will watch, people will talk..."

"Oh, my God, FABULOUS idea!!   But who can we get to do it?"  

"How about that smug little prick Sam, from UTG?!  They'll hate him!  First, he's from Under the Gunn, which everyone hated, second, he has very little real talent but he thinks he does, so he'll buy it when the judges kiss his ass, and third, he's quite the little shit-stirrer."

"Perfect!!  Put it in motion!"

Meh.

Dom has talent, but I detested everything about her win tonight.  The overall look was schlumpy and frowsy.  The print was okay, but that's the only thing even remotely decent about tonight's winning look.  Kini's was nice, but I agree that the pockets were too much and the lapels ought to have been matte.  Ken's was pretty 80's and really drab. 

The "rework another designer's look" challenge was so ridiculous!  That "jacket" Sam made wasn't exciting or fresh, it was stupid and ugly.

• Love 4

The sew-off was unnecessary because Sam should never have been in the top 4 to begin with. So glad Nina wasn't having any of his bullshit. Dom's print will probably look pretty good as a phone case, but I immediately thought when they announced the prize, well exactly what phones will the case fit?

Whatever anger management program Ken went to is worth it's weight in gold. He's like a total 180 from his first season.

• Love 16

I was really getting worried that they were going to try to justify keeping Sam.  Thank goodness he's finally out!  Mesh....AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Even my husband said "didn't he already do that?" and he barely pays attention when I watch the show...LOL

I guess I'm showing my age, but I liked Kini's.  I agreed with Nina that it didn't need the pockets and the trim needed to be matte.  But overall, I liked it.  Then again, I'm in my 40s and I love a good homage to the 80s ;)

When I saw Dom's print, I knew she'd be the winner because I could picture her print on a phone case easily.  I'm surprised I liked the jacket better than I expected.  I'm not a fan of hand-painted fabrics.

I'm so glad Ken got the save because I've enjoyed his "redemption" this season.  He handled the ridiculous one hour challenge like a true designer.  Sam's was a hot mess.

Why on earth are they only giving them FOUR days to make a collection?  Then they'll complain that it's not "cohesive".  Drives me insane that the time frames are so short. They have to crank out 2 garments per day, which is even worse that the usual one day challenge.  Producers are insane this season!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

I'm always happy to be wrong if it is for the right reason.  Are we sure there's no back door for him to sneak back in?

Lock the doors, salt the earth, spin around three times and spit in your hand, turn the mirrors around so that they face the walls, anything that must be done to keep Sam from ever, ever being brought back on this show.

I actually thought Alyssa looked presentable in that light-up dress at the beginning.  Her regular stylist must have had the night off.

• Love 3

It seemed like they were trying really hard to come up with something nice to say about Sam's mesh monstrosity.   The jacket was ugly; the print was hideous and jumpsuit was a sack.  So if this was him trying his hardest, it was an epic fail.  Ken's was boring.  Sam's was horrible.

For the reworked looks, Ken made some smart choices.  Again Sam's was hideous.  Nothing like sculpted breasts on your back. So flattering!  And thn the judges complemented.  I thought the length did terrible things to the model's legs so of course Isaac liked it. 

• Love 7

Sam does another jumpsuit & more mesh & they really consider keeping him? For all the judges use of the word "fresh" Sam kept showing the same thing over & over, it's so incredibly annoying. I really thought Ken was going home, especially since I was thinking how much I liked him this episode & how surprised I was about it. I liked both Ken's looks better than Sam's. I thought the corset on the back of the jacket was really creepy.

• Love 11

Muffyn, I'm convinced Isaac "liked" Sam's sew-off look because it made the model's legs look terrible. IMHO, he's a misogynist.

The "fashion:" I knew Dom was going to win. I did like her print, but I didn't care for much else of the design. Everyone's was so meh, though, I guess it was the best of the bunch. And it's the only one, except for Sam's, I could see looking good on an Otter Box.

I liked Kini's design, but not the print he created. I didn't think it looked like student work, though. I just thought it looked like an ugly print. The skirt was beautiful. I think if he had HAD a decent self-designed fabric, he might have won the challenge.

I was almost about to start feeling less cold towards Sam; then he kept throwing shade at Kini all night long, so by the time they got to the runway, I didn't care if he had the best design of the night, I still wanted him gone. And then there was the Ken apology, which felt totally planned and scripted. I was wondering if they are setting the stage for everyone to be thrilled if Ken wins, because FIRST, he told off Sam, the little pisher, but then! He was the bigger man and apologized to him and called him a friend and a little brother. WTF?

Sam's design in the sew-off was terrible. TERRIBLE. I guess they were being nice because they had already decided to get him out of there. Because, sadly, his original print and design, from the actual runway show, even with the 97th appearance of "the mesh," was better than Ken's. Ken's fabric design was muddy and really wasn't much of a design, and that dress is something we've been seeing for years. AND it didn't fit that well.

Bring on regular Project Runway, I guess. I'm kind of just biding time until they do the next PR Juniors.

• Love 1

Dom's Otterbox designs. Two designs, neither of which are her PR print. Available only at Verizon for iPhone 6s and 6s+, and Samsung Galaxy 7. I like the green diamond, but my Galaxy phone is waaay too old!

So glad Sam is gone. Such a wanker. Glad Issac finally reached his tipping point with the jumpsuits and the mesh, mesh, meh-sh*. I think the sew-off finally awakened them to the fact that he can't sew and can't design by himself. Buh-bye.

I need to check out PR Juniors, given all the praise here. I skipped it because, well, kids, but it sounds like it's actually worth watching.

• Love 8

Thanks, @Ms Lark - I was just about to search to see if the Otterbox/PR cases were available yet because I was pretty sure I'd heard that the winning designer would have the opportunity to design a case, not that the prints designed in this challenge would be the ones used for the cases.

At the beginning of the season, I wanted Kini to win but switched to Dom when Kini got so pissy about Sam (justifiable, but still not a good look for him). Now I'm rooting for Ken, but only if he's pushes himself and doesn't fall into his usual boring classical rut. Like most of you, I can't believe I'm saying that because I was upset they were even bringing him back after his behavior on his earlier season, but I've gotta give him credit.

I also really liked Sam this episode; granted, he'd lost me a long time ago and it would have taken a lot more than one episode of maturity and generosity to reel me back in, but if I'd skipped the rest of this season (and UTG), I would have been a fan. I hope (and think)'he can continue to grow personally and professionally, and maybe we'll warm to him as we've done to Ken.

• Love 1

I actually liked Ken's print. It was a cool brushstroke pattern in a colour scheme that reminded me of traditional japanese garments. It was sexy and powerful in a subdued, sophisticated way.

Ken did have a slight advantage in the express challenge with getting his own garment. Besides already being so familiar with it, there's the chance he would have already envisioned different directions to take it in the original creation of it. But I was confident he would have produced the better garment, anyway.

I like that Ken gave Sam the advice he clearly took to heart: "Use this experience to grow from." I was so surprised by his conciliation w/ Sam and I agree w/ @PepperMonkey--it sort of felt like a producer egged him on, e.g., "Ahem. Ken, this is shaping up to be your redemption season and you're ruining it. Fix this!" It seemed like he meant it, though, and sometimes just going through the motions makes it become real. I'm glad to see both Ken and Sam have favourable showings. No way should these designers be held to some unforgivable sentence. (Now, Ivy, on the other hand was unredeemable.)

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

I don't like Sam, am glad he is gone, etc., but I thought the tiebreaker challenge was hugely unfair.  Ken got his own prior winning garment, which already fit his model to perfection and which he'd already spent hours playing with and thinking about.  Getting that look back let him just cut off the bottom and add a few bits here and there to make something that fit perfectly (because it ALREADY fit perfectly when he got it) and looked very polished.  Sure, Sam's look was an ill-fitting hot mess, but he only had an hour to make something out of pieces he didn't know anything about, neither of which came pre-fitted and pre-tailored to his model.

I'm sure the judges selected those weeks because they were the weeks where both the winning and the losing look had a fair amount of fabric, but to really be fair, they should have given Sam Ken and Mitchell's garments and have given Ken Asha and Alexander's.  Ken derived a huge advantage from starting with a successful look that was custom-fit to his model.

• Love 6

I have to admit that a part of me wanted all 4 to go to the finale just so we could see exactly what Sam would create... 8 looks in 4 days... I'm envisioning him buying up every last yard of that stupid white mesh and creating a collection with a Finding Nemo theme by tacking orange fish all over a mesh jump suit.

• Love 12

Have to agree entirely with Rancide.  As ready as I was to see Sam finally get the boot, the sew off wasn't balanced in opportunity.  I guess I can live with it since Sam coasted through a major part of the season on undeserved time.  If any bit at all of the edited image we've been given is at all close to reality, I do hope most of all he takes a long hard look at himself and makes positive improvements necessary.

He at least had the empathy to be pained at destroying something Asha put so much into.  I'm certain he knew Alexander was not attached to his dress anyway.

• Love 2

Dom's print was really otter the box.

(ducks)

Most annoying about Sam tonight (other than the sashay, I mean) was how he pontificated about his own magnificence in every single talking head.

He made one comment that cracked me up, something like, "At the end of the day you have to focus on the work and kick some ass."

Except I heard "kiss some ass."  Which seemed entirely in character for the Meshed One.

Alyssa in the red dress looked like she should be sitting at the end of a bar waiting for men to buy her drinks.

How timely that Ken said the only prints he wants to work with is the one wants to party like it's 1999.

• Love 11

Their surprises are so frickin predictable. Dom: Beautiful job, especially given the time. Tidy that outfit up a bit and I could see any of a range of actresses wearing both the dress and jacket. She deserved the win and I'm looking forward to seeing her collection. Kini: That skirt made his model look a mile tall and it fit great. I'm not a fan of the batwing poofy sleeves, they remind me of Imelda Marcos too much, but overall it was a very good effort. Ken: I'm glad he admitted that he dropped the ball on this one. Yes, his skirt and top fit well. The man can sew. He made a mistake with his patterns. Sam: It's ridiculous that he made it this far in the competition. After his little speech about Ken giving him the push he needed, what does Sam do? Fall back on a friggin jumpsuit and that neoprene mesh. Even besotted Issac has had enough of it...finally. He should have been eliminated outright without the friggin extra competition drama. Speaking of which, EVERY SINGLE SEASON of PR and PRAS they have to pull some kind of "surprise" stunt. We've seen that one hour "design off" how many times now? Way too many. I don't understand the praise for Sam's outfit. It sucked dead sheep sideways. I wouldn't ding him for the awkward colors because that's what he was given, but he made BAD choices with what he was given. That jacket that the judges apparently loved or thought was brave was ugly, ill fitting, and crappily made. The mini dress under it was poorly sewn, puckered all along the seams, and was basically just slightly tailored sack. Ken used his time MUCH better. Find what's good in the outfits you're given, keep that, and then put a spin on it. THAT's how you do a one hour competition. Sam didn't deserved to be in this last minute competition and he didn't rise to the occasion at all. It felt like the judges were trying to find something nice to say about him or the dress to justify having the craptastic one hour add on competition. At least they didn't give the win to Sam. OMG, both his outfits sucked. Really, really sucked.

• Love 5

I don't like Sam - but I actually loved his outfit this week. What I didn't like was Dom's - loved her coat but felt it was a 70's hippy print with a weird skirt. Love Kini but I agree with letting go of the pockets and ruffles on the skirt.

Guess, I'm not a fashion guru but I know what I would wear.

I was sort of shocked that the judges found anything nice to say about Sam's one hour look, because I thought it looked like a rag.  The jacket was ridiculous, ill-fitting and every seam looked unfinished. The romper(?) thing underneath was hideous and poorly (meaning "not") hemmed, the shorts were uneven and I thought the entire exercise showed just how crappy Sam's design aesthetic was.

I didn't get Dom's outfit.  That two step hem added no value whatsoever.  

• Love 2

Another entry for Ken-to-English dictionary" "assessorize".  I know he means "accessorize" but maybe it was a Freudian slip?  As in "How do I work cheap ass Bauble Bar jewelry and shitty Chinese Laundry shoes work in my design?  I need a minute to assessorize my options for these product placement, sponsored accessories."

I hope if All Stars continues there is a rule put into effect that bans repetitive use of materials or garments.  Only ONE raggedy neoprene jumpsuit with awkwardly placed mesh per designer per season please. 

• Love 6

Ken makes me laugh--something about the way he says things. Even just his "No, Sam!" when it was time to go made me laugh.

I was surprised at Sam's reaction to Ken's outburst; it was much more mature than I'd have guessed, and he didn't (at least that we saw) have a tantrum about it. In fact, I felt sort of sorry for him when he just said, "OK" immediately after.

I am not a fan of asymmetrical clothes to begin with but, yikes, Dom's hemline with that flappy sashy part. I did not like that at all.

Alyssa with straight, parted-in-the-middle hair is good (though I loved the big floofy disco hair of a couple weeks ago too).

OK, so Isaac is bored by the mesh but has no problem with yet another Sam jumpsuit?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I was surprised at Sam's reaction to Ken's outburst; it was much more mature than I'd have guessed, and he didn't (at least that we saw) have a tantrum about it. In fact, I felt sort of sorry for him when he just said, "OK" immediately after.

I don't know what else Sam could have said, except maybe "Oh yeah?  Well, your hat looks like a big nipple."

• Love 5

Otterbox?  Product placement is so completely out-of-control on PR, I'm sure next season the judges will be saying something like "I like the silhouette of your raincoat design, but I'm just not sure I can see the Gorton fisherman wearing it on that package of fish sticks."

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Another entry for Ken-to-English dictionary" "assessorize".  I know he means "accessorize" but maybe it was a Freudian slip?  As in "How do I work cheap ass Bauble Bar jewelry and shitty Chinese Laundry shoes work in my design?  I need a minute to assessorize my options for these product placement, sponsored accessories."

I hope if All Stars continues there is a rule put into effect that bans repetitive use of materials or garments.  Only ONE raggedy neoprene jumpsuit with awkwardly placed mesh per designer per season please. 

Maybe "assessorize" has to do with fanny-packs? I use bubble wrap as my phone case. I wonder if I could have made the finals?  Sam had a kind of redemption arc with toning things down and reconciling with Ken (with all the gay guy contestants, how have any PRs not had a showmance?), so he left in a good way, even if way past his sell-by date. Isaac knew that there was no way Sam could pull off a collection, so it was a mercy kill.

Was it tasteless to air this episode so soon after Prince's death?

He looked like he could barely get the Bauble Bar plug out without bursting into hysteria. 

But I like Chinese Laundry shoes. No, they're not couture, obviously, but among other pairs, I have had the same pair of super-cute gray flannel maryjanes for over a decade, man!

• Love 4