Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The World's Most Interesting Woman in the World

She's baaaaaaaaack. Good episode from her tonight. The stuff with the Betsy Ross "hip hopera" went over my head because I'm not interested in seeing Hamilton. The bedroom bit was funny . . . cool that you could get Chris Parnell on two shows at the same time. And she's no longer doing interviews out in the cold. The interviews at the end of the episode stay, though . . . this week, it's the woman who waxes her.

I've had a crush on Lin-Manuel Miranda for the longest, so I was thrilled to see him, but that sketch was so (intentionally) uncomfortable to watch. Questlove on the drum and hating life for it was hilarious, though.

• Love 1

Haha, ouch, okay, I'm not going to say she's out of ideas. But, I didn't think this episode was in the same league as last season's premier. The sex chess match, Senate gynecologists, yogurt commercial, and interview with her waxer were classic Amy. But the Dos Equis and Hamilton parodies didn't land at all for me. But I know nothing about Hamilton, so that could be part of it.

I was underwhelmed.  The bit with Hamilton seemed more an attempt to tap into the phenomenon it seems poised to be (if not already).  The yogurt and beer commercial bits seemed so dated and done for me. 

I did like the Congressional pap smear skit but also felt it was too short and not as cutting as it could have been.  Overall it just felt the show was a bit too bland and safe.

But maybe having just come off Nikki Glasser's show in terms of sexual comedy and having Samantha Bee dealing with the more social/political aspects raises the bar for me that Amy used to set herself.  So maybe the show wasn't so much bad as I just wanted it to come out the gate with more strength. 

I agree, this ep was disappointing. It reminded me a bit of the early season one episodes, actually, which I found to be full of great ideas, but often lacking the "punch" needed to really land those points. It wasn't until I pushed through to the later episodes, where Amy had more or less figured out how to drive home her point using strong punchlines, that I started really loving the show. This episode definitely took me back!

On the one hand, I'm not worried, because I feel like this is a problem the show has solved before. But on the other hand... if they solved it before, how is it still a problem? Did only one of the writers know how to use punchlines, and they left? Why are we back where we started? I'm trying to withhold judgment on the season until I've actually seen, you know, the SEASON, but this is not a strong start. Hopefully next week will see a return to form!

• Love 1

I tend to like this show best when it examines a situation that's true-to-life yet no one else has ever treated it. And the one sketch that was true of, in this episode, was the "what do you do when neither one of you wants to have sex, but neither one of you wants to be the one to say it" sketch. I thought the whole episode was worth it for that.

Not that it was the only thing I enjoyed.

Agree that the Hamilton sketch was lame. And long. A deadly combination. Guess she fell in love with the idea of the Lin-Manuel Miranda "get."

Edited by Milburn Stone