Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: State Of The Art

• Start Topic

I'm only defending Sam to the extent that it's not incumbent on HIM to raise his hand and announce his talents were surpassed by competitors eliminated about ten episodes back.  Should he be less cocky and knock off the winky-waves?  Sure, but "be less annoying" is not his job either.

It's not merely that he's being annoying.   He is purposely trying to curry favor with one judge in a deliberate attempt to compensate for his lack of skills and get an advantage over the other designers.   For that he deserves every bit of blame he's received.

Scam's antics may be hailed as great game-play on Survivor, but in this competition the criteria for winning is the quality of your design.   His attempt to circumvent the process and get by on flirty waves is apparently intolerable for much of the viewership.  If it's upsetting us, who can blame Ken, who is in the competition and has an actual stake in this?  Ken's future depends on this, and he's watching it be threatened by the improper behavior of a fellow contestant and a lecherous middle-aged man.

• Love 8

I'll miss Emily and her quiet, classy demeanor, and I liked quite a few of her designs. Her personal style is puzzling to me, and I'd love to see her without the strange makeup since she is really attractive. Was she wearing strips of black masking tape on her legs at the museum? At first I thought they were big black tattoos, but I'm pretty sure they were strips of tape. 

• Love 3

I'll miss Emily and her quiet, classy demeanor, and I liked quite a few of her designs. Her personal style is puzzling to me, and I'd love to see her without the strange makeup since she is really attractive. Was she wearing strips of black masking tape on her legs at the museum? At first I thought they were big black tattoos, but I'm pretty sure they were strips of tape. 

I don't remember this but could they have been a pattern on her tights, she has worn them before.  

ETA.  Just went back and looked at them.  No clue!  It didn't stand out as tape which I think it might have, if so.  Must be a print she, herself put on stockings.  ???

Edited by wings707

They seem to be patterned tights.  They are a very light weave in between the patterns, so more like nylons than tights.  And I want them!

• Love 2

Emily is a total class act. Sad to see her go.

OTOH Ken is a vile POS. I'm the last person to be confrontational or remotely violent, but if he talked to me like he did to Sam, he'd need the EMT asap. I'm hoping his appearances on this show has poisoned any possible chance of employment in the future. What employer wants a shit head like this in the team?

• Love 4

I don't like Sam at all, but I think Ken was out of line with his comments. I don't like some of my co-workers but if I sat in the teacher's lounge and called someone a snake and a liar in front of other people, I would be out of a job. And honestly, it's not really Sam's fault if the judges keep putting him through-that's on the judges. I actually think Sam has some good ideas but he obviously doesn't know how to execute them. And sorry to the people who think Sam should tell the judges he doesn't deserve to be on the show and his clothes suck-what contestant on any show every did that? Why would you talk yourself down.

I also thought his original dress idea was insipid but did fit the criteria of being inspired by the artwork. The artist said he was trying to capture a moment in time, and Sam's idea was to do the same. The other artists did not say that was the meaning of their paintings. I actually think trying to be inspired by a deeper meaning is more creative than just trying to copy the color palette of a painting, which some of them did. In truth, I didn't like any of the outfits and none of them seemed overly creative. Ken's face piece was original but his dress was not. Kini used terrible fabric, Emily's was boring and ready to wear, and Dom's was cute but not avant-garde. I also think Sam's turned out kind of cute but not avant-garde.

As far as Isaac, not a huge fan but I don't think its fair to suggest he is sleeping with Sam since he is a married man and we don't know anything of the kind. For all we know, he thinks Sam represents himself at a young age. I agree Sam relies on the cute factor, but I also think these judges have really different taste than Heidi, Nina and Zac (and myself).

I don't believe Sam will win, I think it's between Dom and Ken. I used to really like Kini, but haven't liked much he has made this time around.

• Love 7

Ken and Sam are not just competing for the same big prize, they have to live together at the same time. I think Ken wanted to make his feelings known so that he wouldn't blow his stack at the wrong time. It wasn't in front of the judges, it was in the work room.

And I am quite sure that Ken has been fustrated at least once.

• Love 8

I really don't think there's any way Sam can win--his edit this season has been much too negative, and he seems kind of bitter on social media. He's being kept around for the drama, because that's what the judges and producers think we want to see. Can't have a show where everyone gets along and focuses on producing good work.

This is Dom's to lose, but it will probably feel like a default victory after this lackluster season.  

• Love 2

I don't like Sam at all, but I think Ken was out of line with his comments. I don't like some of my co-workers but if I sat in the teacher's lounge and called someone a snake and a liar in front of other people, I would be out of a job. And honestly, it's not really Sam's fault if the judges keep putting him through-that's on the judges. I actually think Sam has some good ideas but he obviously doesn't know how to execute them. And sorry to the people who think Sam should tell the judges he doesn't deserve to be on the show and his clothes suck-what contestant on any show every did that? Why would you talk yourself down.

Everyone is responsible for their part.  To me, Sam is responsible for even using the "wink n' wave" and flirting as a strategy.  This should be a serious competition, and if you aren't a good designer, you should have just stayed home.  Yes, the judges are responsible for enabling him to continue to stay, Issac especially for co-signing the weekly shit show that Sam is putting down the runway.  

To even come to a competition and know that you aren't going to really compete, but rather you're going to try to flirt your way to winning something based on design skill is an asshole move.  Its fundamentally unfair to the others who are there to work and not try to flirt their way to a win.

And if thats what Sam wants to do....thats Sam's business, but why in the world should he get hurt at someone calling him out for that?  That is just the truth......the same way Sam refused to apologize to Mitchell because well...he was just sharing his opinion.  If Sam doesn't want to be called out for not having any talent and for trying to rest on his looks....than he shouldn't engage in that behavior.

Sam is also responsible for his behavior in taking credit for Kini's work, and his treatment of Mitchell which was both dismissive and rude.  That he is called a hypocrite now for being butt hurt at being called out when he told Mitchell to "grow a thicker skin."  is on Sam.  

Did Sam watch his tone and his words when he was being mean to Mitchell?  When he was on UTG?  If not, why does anyone else owe him such consideration?

This is Sam's game.....throw bombs, do whatever he wants, be as rude as possible....and then trust that everyone else will have enough manners to let it slide.  I'm glad someone finally didn't play into that game, and the pity party he is throwing for himself is ridiculous.  "Well, I can't change your mind...."  yes you can, stop being a snake and do some work beyond just finding the "flirtiest" flats on the CL shoe wall.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 15

I noticed lumpiness across the top of the skull. I thought it was from a puckering seam or maybe from hair, both of which could have been dealt with.

I don't understand why Kini even sent his model to the Schwarzkopf hair salon. Nobody was going to see her hair! And if he was contractually obliged to do so for sponsorship reasons, why wouldn't he have asked for a completely flat slicked-back style?

• Love 2

yes you can, stop being a snake and do some work beyond just finding the "flirtiest" flats on the CL shoe wall.  

Were there even flats on the shoe wall this week?  I know they only show quick glimpses of it but I didn't see any and I was laughing thinking Sam was toast.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Kini even sent his model to the Schwarzkopf hair salon. Nobody was going to see her hair! And if he was contractually obliged to do so for sponsorship reasons, why wouldn't he have asked for a completely flat slicked-back style?

I ended up skimming the episode to see what the model's hair was like and to look at the construction of the head piece. His model does have long hair, but it's straight and looks thin enough that it could have been slicked back into a low pony down her back. I'm not sure if her hair caused any of the issues though.

The placement of the seam was pretty terrible. It went along the center of the skull and was not a well sewn curve. It's pretty obvious in the work room before the model is wearing anything else. Maybe it's because I watch too much Face Off but I actually wonder if it would have looked better with some fake hair (Mohawk? Horse mane?).

• Love 2

Hell's Kitchen's Kashia used say "flustrated" too. Maybe it's a reality show contestant thing? Lol.

Actually, the word exists and I found it in online dictionaries.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2006/09/a-flustrating-question.html

Not yet. 

A: “Flustrated” is a mixing of “frustrated” and “flustered.” It’s not accepted by most dictionaries, at least not yet, but many similar words (linguists call them “blends” or “blended words”) have become part of the English language.

• Love 1

I still can't believe that when Alyssa said "It looks like a kite stuck in a tree" Isaac actually sat there and breathed "I know, I love it."

Damn.  That is being reallllllllllly thirsty on a television show.

• Love 19

You can count on that.   Each will get the help of one designer and that designer has a vested interest (reputation) to make their contestant shine.  Sam will turn out better work than he has thus far, certainly. 

OMG - I just realized that they must be gearing up to do another season of Under the Gunn and these four winners are going to be the "mentors".

ETA: Flustrated is a really great word.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 4

OMG - I just realized that they must be gearing up to do another season of Under the Gunn and these four winners are going to be the "mentors".

No.  Stop it.  I will have to watch it because I do that sort of thing.  

• Love 3

Were there even flats on the shoe wall this week?  I know they only show quick glimpses of it but I didn't see any and I was laughing thinking Sam was toast.

If Sam couldn't find flats on the shoe wall, I'm sure he would have just painted rainbow-colored maryjanes on his model's feet.  Oh, wait - he'd have to have the idea handed to him first, and then he'd have to have help with the technicalities of foot-painting.  

I hope someone (like his husband) is reading the comments about Isaac to Isaac so he can get a clue about what a totally pathetic old lech he looks like.  

• Love 4

COUGH GAG SPEW

I rushed to google this conjecture.  No verification, although they had definitely planned for a second season--some Tim quotes about how the second season would be improved and a casting call for S02 contestants.

Ooh, gross, it makes sense that Asha and Sam being back on my telly are an indication of the wind blowing that direction.

My stomach, she knots.

• Love 6

I rushed to google this conjecture.  No verification, although they had definitely planned for a second season--some Tim quotes about how the second season would be improved and a casting call for S02 contestants.

The casting call notice on Blogging Project Runway is an April Fool's joke.

• Love 3

OMG, I know I'm late to this conversation, but........they kept Sam??????????  Are you freaking kidding me??????????  In what universe is that tacky, draped drech considered "avant garde"?  I could have tacked something together that looked better than that colorful garbage sack he sent down the runway.  Un-freaking-believable.

Sam wants to be a "mean girl" to Mitchell and tells him to grow some thick skin and gets all affronted when Ken dishes it right back to him.  Doesn't feel so great on the receiving end, does it, Sam?  It's obvious the producers are only keeping him around for the drama.  He should have been eliminated weeks ago.

I'm looking forward (or should I say "foe-ward"?) to Nina tearing Sam's design up on the runway next week.

Also looking forward to the return of Dmitri :)  

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 6

That was all about setting Sam up for his win. Ken walks off, is allowed to come back, sets up Sam as an underdog (gently), and gets his win.

Sloppy work, production.

I have to admit, though, that Ken has been rehabilitated for me and I never thought that would happen. Someone needed to call that shit out.

Also,I'm firmly a fan of Alyssa Milano now.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 7
I'm looking forward (or should I say "foe-ward"?) to Nina tearing Sam's design up on the runway next week.

Don't hold your breath, especially if the previews are any indication.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Sam's s simpering flirtations with some of the judges reminds me of a Law & Order episode in which a guy murdered his girlfriend and her entire family and got away with it because he flirted shamelessly with the lovesick jury foreman. 

You know, that episode always annoyed the crap out of me because I couldn't believe that any man or woman would actually fall for that simpering act--I guess the female juror and Isaac have proved me wrong :)

• Love 2

Oh yuck!  And Sam as a mentor?  The thought alone makes me laugh. I won't watch UTG if that's the case. For something that's supposed to be entertaining it pissed me off way too much.

Editing to clarify: if it's the case that there's another season I won't watch it. I just realized it made it sounds like only if Sam was on there, and nope, I won't watch it no matter who is or isn't on it (unless perhaps Tim Gunn wasn't on it, but don't see that happening).

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 2

Oh yuck!  And Sam as a mentor?  The thought alone makes me laugh. I won't watch UTG if that's the case. For something that's supposed to be entertaining it pissed me off way too much.

Oh, I'd never watch another season of UTG period;  I already have high blood pressure, I don't want to rage stroke over it.

Although I laugh everytime I see a designers name and it has Season 9, Season 10....and when it was Sam/Asha, it would just say "Under the Gunn" like they are already set up to be second rate competitors because they came from that shit show.

• Love 3

You know, that episode always annoyed the crap out of me because I couldn't believe that any man or woman would actually fall for that simpering act--I guess the female juror and Isaac have proved me wrong :)

I don't want to get completely off topic, but I remember that episode was inspired by a case in Vancouver Canada where the accused got off because he was flirting with a member of the jury. He was in his 20's and she was a bleached blonde overly made up 40's woman. It was a huge scandal at the time. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillian_Guess#Media_coverage

Getting back on topic, Sam reminds me of my students whose projects are not great, but they figure that sparkles, glitter, and a great story will make me not notice. Sorry kids, but I notice.

Edited by hula-la
  • Love 7
This is Dom's to lose, but it will probably feel like a default victory after this lackluster season.

And as much as I like Dom, it'll also feel like (if we have two seasons in a row of winners winning again)  All Stars is just becoming a "which previous winner will win again" thing, which never felt to me like it was what the show was supposed to be about.  I thought All Stars was meant to be about giving a second chance to a worthy designer, not re-crowning people who have already won, which is far, far less interesting.

It's just another way that the producers have screwed everything up to a near un-fixable state.  Since I'm convinced the producer plan has always been for a Dom/Kini/Sam finale and to eliminate Ken next week, even should he somehow produce an outfit that literally revolutionizes the fashion industry for the next hundred years (while Sam wraps a plain sheet around his model and puts a wet mop on her head and wins the week), it's likely we'll have three outcomes:  1) a previous winner wins (yawn); 2) one of the least talented and most despised suck-ups in the history of PR wins (grrrrrr); or 3) Kini wins (which will still seem sort of "blah" considering the only alternatives are # 1 and # 2).

Good going, there, producers.  Your blatant cheating and interference have turned a once promising show into now having only two real outcomes for the audience: infuriating or uninteresting.

• Love 2

I also hated it when Ken came back. I despised him before, but he's much more palatable this time. I wanted to hug him last night when he gave Sam a piece of his mind.

I was floored at how calmly he did it, and without stooping to name-calling or attacks, just stating that all he ever saw was draping and pinning, and although he got a bit more personal, he  never got emotional.  And actually Sam responded calmly, and although he clearly was a little stung, he did not get childish.  Perhaps he too has matured a bit over the weeks?  His designs, though, have not.  I sadly agreed that Emily's was worse, but Sam's was just so poorly done.  It seemed clear to me that there will be a final four because Isaac would not agree to eliminate him next week.  That makes me think he's going to take the whole thing, and that makes me angry.

OK - forgot Ken said "snake" and "liar," but he was still calm and controlled.  And Sam deserves both since he took that win by neglecting to mention it was Kini's work.  That alone is enough for me, but there's so much more. 

Don't hold your breath, especially if the previews are any indication.

Even if she does, Isaac won't give in.  That's my take on the situation.  

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 3

First, I have to say that I don't honestly think anyone on these forums is actually saying that Isaac and Sam have slept and/or are sleeping together. Isaac may be married  and if I were his husband, I'd be side-eyeing him because of the Sam fawning; but I also don't think that Sam, for all the flirting, waving, hair tossing and flat choosing, would ever, in a million years, sleep with Isaac. Isaac does act like he's lost his fair mind, though, so it's funny to conjecture here about what he may be wishing were happening, even if only in his "old" lecherous mind. (Quotes around old, because I'm "old" too, so: IRONY)

I will also say that although I don't feel sorry for Sam one bit, it is NOT his fault, and his fault alone this shit is happening. As was mentioned by many posters previously, there are 3 to 5 other judges, maybe sometimes upwards of 12 on a good night (sarcasm), and they are ALLOWING Isaac to run this show completely. If everyone is over Sam, as some of us have posited, why isn't Sam gone? Alyssa and Georgina alone could override him. Unless he is holding something over their or the producers' heads, this makes no sense to me.

Which is when the conspiracy theories start as to Sam being picked as the winner because Tim Gunn wants it or they're somehow trying to validate that crap fest that was Under The Gunn, or whatever the reason. It's probably/ possibly (?) as simple as Sam makes good drama, divides people, makes people choose sides, and drives the kind of stupid antics they love over at Lifetime. Has anyone ever seen Dance Moms? I can't think of some of the others, but this is what Project Runway, in all iterations, except PR Junior, has gradually become.

Even if they continue Project Runway for a few more seasons - and honestly, I would be sad if they didn't, which makes me supremely angry with myself because it's a festival of crap, too - they need to seriously consider discontinuing All Stars. I don't want to watch a former winner win again, either, well, unless it's Dmitry, and I sure don't want to watch a hack like Anthony Ryan and now, possibly, Sam, win a large and undeserved prize.

One final comment until next week: I'm quite sure Mondo may not have given Sam a second thought, either, after UTG, BUT I stand by my assertion that he will favour Sam to try to validate some of what happened, which, by the way, was so bad, Mondo said he was thinking about giving up fashion design. I also stand by my comment that even if he DOESN'T remember Sam, favour Sam, or give Sam the time of day, they have a prior relationship, just like Georgina's design house and Asha, and it smacks of impropriety, even if it may not be. Mondo shouldn't be allowed to be a judge with Sam as one of the potential finalists.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

^^I agree with like 89.9% of your post.  I think Sam might consider sleeping with Issac if it helped him.  Someone who is willing to get on TV and behave this way...twice, to me, has some agenda other than winning 100k.  Knowing that he isn't as strong a designer he may even have an agenda other than people being exposed to his amazed design talent and clothing.  However, seriously, I don't think it happened for a variety of reasons.  Flirting and what not doesn't necessarily mean the person wants to act on it.  As Blanche Devearuex once said "flirting is good for you....it keeps your butt tight."  But someone should let Issac know that he is embarrassing himself at this point.

I'm not sure why Sam is still on the show......I've always felt that there is sort of a "judge vs. head judge" situation on the show.  There were times on regular PR where I felt like Heidi liked a designer that other judges hated, but that person stayed.  I'm thinking of Patricia, the Native American designer, Nina and Zac (I believe?) seemed to just hate a lot of her stuff, but Heidi loved her...and she stayed for a while.  I'm not sure if Issac has the same sort of status on All Stars. Georgina rarely seems to have a super strong opinion about anything, so her vote may always be a sort of "whatever."  So, it could really be down to Issac/Alyssa, and Issac may have more power.  OR, it could be the producers of the show, which also makes sense, because Sam does bring drama.  Although, by the final 4, it generally seems like the show gets away from drama and focuses more on the design and the contestants.

At this point, sad to say, I think PR should end.  I only say this because I think it will open up the opportunity for another design show run by people that can give the contestants a little more time.  I feel like PR has probably become a little too expensive between paying all the judges, and it has resulted in a show that I don't think many talented young designers would want to do, because its so focused on drama and you get no time so you're just as likely to have the world see some piece of shit clothing that you designed in 2 hours.  But, I think that PR has dropped so far in prestige that they won't be able to reclaim the money in sponsorships and advertising that they once were able to get.  

I absolutely, 110% agree with you about Mondo.  I think Tim Gunn and everyone associated with that shitshow is doing everything possible to convince the world that it was legitimate.  I sure hope they don't go as far as trying to crown Sam the winner......

• Love 4

RCharter said, "...I think PR should end.  I only say this because I think it will open up the opportunity for another design show run by people that can give the contestants a little more time."

The end of Project Runway would not necessarily pave the way for a similar show.  Even though I have some gripes with PR and PRAS, I plan to watch as long as they stay on the air, or until I croak, whichever comes first.

• Love 2

RCharter said, "...I think PR should end.  I only say this because I think it will open up the opportunity for another design show run by people that can give the contestants a little more time."

The end of Project Runway would not necessarily pave the way for a similar show.  Even though I have some gripes with PR and PRAS, I plan to watch as long as they stay on the air, or until I croak, whichever comes first.

I think it would....I mean, for better or worse, people do still watch PR and PRAS....the shows still have an audience even though the franchise has fallen in prestige.  Since the show itself is a winning formula, there is no reason to think that someone else won't try to do the same thing...but better.

I mean, how often does one TV show simply take the general premise of another successful, or semi-successful TV show.....I think its a less risky proposition for networks that are looking to convince sponsors to spend money than to come up with a completely novel concept.

I think the shows that have come out to compete with PR have had interesting concepts (Fashion Star, Fashion Show) but I think they have suffered by being compared to, or competing directly with Project Runway.

• Love 2

This episode was a bummer for me because nobody seems willing to actually create avant garde pieces anymore on this show. Only Ken's was, I felt, a real avant garde piece -- something over the top, experimental, and dramatic.

I wanted to be happy for this new, quieter Ken of this season and his win here, but I was disappointed in Ken's behavior and in what I saw as a cheap and pointless confrontation with Sam.

I mean, yes, I thought Sam's design was terrible (I totally agree with the PTV recap that he utterly failed in the opportunity to create something marvelous inspired by a gorgeous bird, of all things), but I also thought Kini's was as well. I've been so disappointed in Kini this season -- he seems like he's completely unoriginal and uninspired, and even his construction, which was so often flawless, has been markedly sloppy many times this season. He just seems like he's repeating variations on his previous designs over and over (and not even all that well).

Meanwhile, I'm getting tired of the Kini/Ken tag team. I'm not a fan of Sam's by any means -- I hated him on UTG, disliked his cheap shots at Mitchell (who would have been happy with a simple apology) and disliked his arrogance earlier in the season. I don't think Sam's a very good designer or sewer, either, and I can certainly understand his fellow contestants' dismay at his perpetual flirting with the judges.

However, the irony is that the more the other designers have turned against Sam, the more I've actually grown to respect him, at least on some levels. As several of the other designers have grouped up to belittle Sam and, ironically, the less rational they've gotten, the more rationally Sam has responded. He doesn't rant or yell at them; he doesn't respond maliciously. He is courteous and calm, even when visibly hurt. He has entered rooms half a dozen times at this point to realize he was being mocked or laughed at, yet he's responded quietly and with surprising dignity consistently now.

Ken's rant at Sam here was emotionally understandable but also totally irrational. He was more restrained, granted, than he has been in the past, but his rant at Sam was illogical, cheap and emotion-based. Instead of saying, "Look, I feel like you're half-assing your projects and then flirting with judges to coast on through, and that's not easy to be around," he uses purely emotional language that doesn't even apply to Sam. How, exactly, is Sam a "liar and a snake?" Why should Sam have to justify his work to anyone? No answer he could have given Ken would have sufficed -- it was lose-lose for him. The simple answer is that the judges think he should still be there, so he is.

Ken's anger should have been addressed to the judges, not Sam. How many other seasons of PR have we watched in which some contestants seemed to coast by on more simplistic work? Pretty much every season ever. Sam can't win this argument even if he responds because he (1) probably believes in his own work and thinks he's doing fine (he's still there), (2) he's actually not the problem, the judges are. Sam is not disrespectful, rude, or antagonizing other contestants in any way. Ken and Kini are simply unhappy at what they see as a judging bias, and taking that out on Sam.

I understood why Kini was unhappy with Sam at first, but as the season has gone on, I find Kini really smug and arrogant -- ironically, far more so than Sam at this point. I don't think Sam is going to win this, but I don't think Kini is going to do so either.

I thought Ken's behavior was uncalled for. He is frustrated that Sam is favored. If Sam changed absolutely nothing about his behavior or designs, but the judges slammed him for them and told him to step up his game, I don't think Ken would care all that much about Sam "slacking". His objection is that Sam isn't paying any price for his behavior. So he felt he needed to make Sam pay a price. But his real issue is with the judging (justifiably). He says he has a problem with how hard everyone is working while Sam just drapes, but if Sam wasn't rewarded for it, I doubt Ken would care about Sam's process. So I found his unprovoked attack on Sam in the green room to be wrong.

(Snipped for space)

I've never understood the common theme of outrage from contestants of "He or she doesn't deserve to be here" or "he or she is a talentless hack". They are taking it personally that someone whose designs they don't like is even a contestant. They get bent out of shape when the judges don't eliminate someone they don't respect. Grow up people. That's the way the adult working world is. And it's not like you are all cream of the crop top designers. You're beginners in your careers. Get over your damn selves!

This. Not a single person on PRAS "deserves" anything more than any of the others. I don't watch PRAS for some kind of corrective retroactive award response, I watch it because I'm supposed to be watching the best on the show compete in a new mix.

The irony is -- I was totally on Kini's side after his team challenge with Sam, but Kini has honestly been more bitchy and smug than Sam ever was in the weeks since. And watching him stage-whisper with Ken about Sam and then giggle is honestly awakening all my old bully-victim reactions way more than anything Sam ever did.

But on the flip side, who would want to hire someone like Sam after seeing the way he belittled Mitchell and dismissed his feelings, saying he just needs a thicker skin and he needs to get over all the shit talking that Sam did about him?

If they overlook his somewhat limited talents as a designer, I think a lot more people would be willing to work with or hire Sam at this point, after viewing the quiet way he responds to antagonism and stress, than would be willing to hire Ken or Kini. 

I don't like Sam at all, but I think Ken was out of line with his comments. I don't like some of my co-workers but if I sat in the teacher's lounge and called someone a snake and a liar in front of other people, I would be out of a job.

This. There's also the matter of time and place. Ken could have approached Sam quietly. He could have addressed things at lunch or in a lull during the day. Instead he chose to do so in a group setting when he felt like he obviously had the advantage.

I hate that I'm defending Sam here. I really do. I don't like the guy and I don't think he's a very good designer. But I do think Ken was really out of line here, and that it has ultimately been Ken and Kini who have embarrassed themselves more this season. YMMV of course.

• Love 7

I was going to respond to the judges thing but it turned meta, so I moved it to the judges' thread. 

If they overlook his somewhat limited talents as a designer, I think a lot more people would be willing to work with or hire Sam at this point, after viewing the quiet way he responds to antagonism and stress, than would be willing to hire Ken or Kini. 

I understood most of what you had to say, but you lost me here. Sam is clearly a kiss up, kick down kinda guy, and has been exhibiting exactly that as publicly as he can manage since he got involved with this franchise. If anyone has put his shoulder into giving the producers a bitchfest it was Sam, who made it clear from his first talking head that's precisely what he was invited back to do. Asha, who was every bit the bully Sam was on UTG, has apparently learned something about behaving like a professional and making an effort since. Sam turned catty commentary and coasting into his brand. 

I don't feel any sorrier for him than I did for Helen when she tried to sharpen her claws on the other contestants on PRAS and got shut down by alpha shrike Michelle. Because, if you haven't noticed, that's how bullies justify themselves and get authority figures on board, by knowing how to look endearingly ill-used if it doesn't end well for them. Well, I say Sam is spinach, and I say to hell with him. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 8

As was mentioned by many posters previously, there are 3 to 5 other judges, maybe sometimes upwards of 12 on a good night (sarcasm), and they are ALLOWING Isaac to run this show completely.

This comment made me wonder if Issac is being allowed to steer the judging because he's a) top judge, the head guy and maybe it's in his contract that he's the deciding vote or b) TPTB may be concerned that, if he decides to quit, they'd have trouble replacing him with a known designer. I can't see Vera Wang stepping in or Diane Von Furstenburg. Kors isn't coming back, Ralph Lauren would probably laugh and politely decline and so on. Just a thought.

It also appears to me--and this may have been brought up before--the producers may be having trouble getting top grade new designers willing to subject themselves to this. The lack of sleep, the ridiculously low budgets, the impossibly short design/construction time and the random (at best) judging. There are countless good, young and hungry designers out there--the art schools, the drama costume departments are full of them, lack of talent isn't the problem. It looks to me like the downward spiral of this show, as well as PR, is caused by producers deciding to cut budgets and choosing to forgo good design for trumped up bullshit drama.

It's too bad. They're cutting their own throats.

• Love 5

I agree Julia...and to add, I think people like Sam almost always get away with being a dipshit because no one ever says anything to them.  And if anyone dares to say anything they can cry about how they are a victim and people are just so mean to them.  I don't think Ken's words were any less kind or honest than Sam's words and behavior towards Mitchell.  It was all honest.  Ken called him a liar and a snake, but that is what Sam has shown in his behavior in the workroom.  Why Sam deserves some "velvet glove" behavior, when he hasn't been willing to give it to anyone else isn't something I can get behind.  Even though I totally understand the logic that people have.  As paramitch said MV on the subject.

As I've said, I think everyone should own their behavior.  Sam has used the flirty approach as a cover for his lack of talent.  My thought on Project Runway has always been to let the work stand for itself and be judged on its own merits.  It should be about what you put on the runway....and in a minority of cases someone should get a pass because they just had a bad day, or because they are really, really putting in the effort (I can really only think of Char in this category).

Now -- is it Sam's fault that Issac responds to his flirting?  No.  But it is Sam's fault for even wanting to use that as a strategy to win a competition that is supposed to be based on design skill and the clothing you put on the runway.  To undermine his more talented competitors who are working hard by flirting is an asshole and sort of sneaky move.  If this show was called Project Flirt: All Stars or Project Cute:All Stars......than okay, but both Sam AND Issac are to blame.  Sam for using that strategy and Issac for accepting it.

And Sam did lie by omission, by not giving Kini any credit for that top.  And the reason he felt so comfortable doing it, is because he knew that no one would say otherwise....and thats how people like Sam win.  And if you dare say anything to them....they are a victim of the highest order.

So yeah, Sam is a snake and a liar.....I can see where that interpretation came from.  Coasting on his looks....yep.

• Love 9

Of course the winner has already been decided so no advice will do anyone any good now.

I increasingly think that was true on episode one.

To tl;dr a longer rant elsewhere, Isaac has gone balls to the wall for two designers as a judge: Anthony Ryan and now Sam. Whatever his personal reaction to them might be (I've seen him flirt just as outrageously with women), Isaac has a lot - his ego, his career, and a few billion dollars out of the pockets of Chanel and Liz Claiborne investors - invested in the idea that personal fabulousness and thinking outside the box are more important than making flattering, well-made clothes women want to wear.

Whatever else it is, I think his response to his pets is way more about defending Isaac than it is about anything else.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

I've seen a number of posters refer to next week's returning All Star winners as judges; do we know that to be true? Since there are four of them and four remaining contestants, I think they're more likely to be mentors (shades of UTG?) or perhaps at the other end of the spectrum, are there to create challenges in the workroom.

Re judging, I've never thought it was one person, one vote, if for no other reason than there are often four judges; someone has to be the tiebreaker. On All Stars it's obviously Isaac; he's the only one who saw any value in Sam's tacked on rainbow mess. At least Emily's showed thought and technique, and it made no sense that she should leave over Sam. Isaac's fascination with him is embarrassing.  

Were I a potential employer watching this show the only people I would consider hiring are Dom and Emily, who by and large have been shown to be conducting themselves as a mature professionals. Unless you are madly talented no one is going to be chomping at the bit to hire you if you show yourself to be petty, manipulative, immature, or quick to anger. 

I'd love to see a revamp of this show, perhaps on a different network less devoted to interpersonal drama in its reality shows. The reality of the competition itself among appealing, self-aware contestants is enough for me. Even Santino at the height of his Santino-ness was funny as hell and realized when he was being obnoxious, even if it didn't stop him from being so. The folks they get now seem clueless. Here's what I'd like:

• Cut the initial number of designers from whatever ridiculous number it's climbed to down to perhaps 10
  • Give them two days for each challenge, allowing them to do better quality work
  • Have the show edited to focus on the challenges inherent in creation and construction rather than bad behavior

Perhaps then they'd be able to once again attract some decent talent -- and I wouldn't be kicking myself for continuing to watch this show in hopes of finding that one contestant who's both talented and compelling. Occasionally they hit the jackpot with a Dmitry, but more often they're picking the best of a bad lot.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 5

Uh Hum.....sorry I just had to get that out. And IMO it's not bullying to ask somebody a question!!!  Ken wasn't cornering him with 4 other guys to steal his lunch money. He asked him a dam question....Geesh.....It's like we're all so PC these days you can't even ask a question without being a "bully" Ken was very very very calm when he asked that and, frankly, it's a question a lot of us wanted answered!

I actually agree and am so over Sam at this point, but your post reminded me of Miss Alli on TWOP when she'd review Survivor finales. The ousted contestants got to ask questions of the finalists, and someone would inevitably do a version of, "My question is, you suck!"

Ken was asking a question, for sure. But the question was just his way of telling Sam he didn't think he belonged there and how unfair it is when the other designers are working so hard on their pieces. I agree with Ken, by the way. I just couldn't not think of Miss Alli when you wrote that.

• Love 2

Isaac has a lot - his ego, his career, and a few billion dollars out of the pockets of Chanel and Liz Claiborne investors - invested in the idea that personal fabulousness and thinking outside the box are more important than making flattering, well-made clothes women want to wear.

Whatever else it is, I think his response to his pets is way more about defending Isaac than it is about anything else.

Nice insight; interesting perspective.

Isaac's fascination with him is embarrassing.  

Undeniable.

I rarely hang in there when the comments go this long, but I'm all caught up in the speculation about what exactly the fuck might be going on with Isaac Mizrahi.  (Sam's really nothing more than an inconsequential little git by comparison.)

I've seen comments about a former great's descent into caricature, but some people say he still turns out great stuff if you know where to look.  People report that he's happily married, with streams of reliable revenue, yet his world must be lacking people willing to give him a reality check.

An aging roue' snowed by flirtation?  Does he see a version of his younger self?  Producer pressure?  Decision-maker power trip?  "Wearable" is passe' and crap is the new black?

I wonder how Isaac feels now, post-show--assuming he knows how to operate the internet.  Tim Gunn miscalculated his own infallibility, digging the hole deeper with every retort after UTG--he'll never make a full comeback for many of us.  Is that anything IM would care about?

Could one of you New Yorkers go find the man's D'Agostino, infiltrate and bring back a report?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

I still can't believe that when Alyssa said "It looks like a kite stuck in a tree" Isaac actually sat there and breathed "I know, I love it."

Damn.  That is being reallllllllllly thirsty on a television show.

Sam could take two yards of fabric, wrap it around the model's body, put in a couple of safety pins and send it down the runway and Isaac would "Love it, darling!" Isaac needs to be gone from the show, even more than Sam does.
  • Love 9

Sam could take two yards of fabric, wrap it around the model's body, put in a couple of safety pins and send it down the runway and Isaac would "Love it, darling!" Isaac needs to be gone from the show, even more than Sam does.

Especially considering that's pretty much what he sent down the runway this week.

I did love his expression at the shoe wall. He was standing there with a pair of heels in his hands when he said to his model, "These are your favorite shoes?"

But I think it would have been pretty tough to not recognize that "look" as his, flats or no.

• Love 4

[quote name="RobertBestBarbie" post="2175730" tim

I feel like "Project Runway" (all versions) is my abusive ex. I keep thinking it's not going to be bad, look, there's a glimmer of hope, a flash of glory days...and then nope, it all goes to crap. But I keep staying, waiting for things to improve, because I can't forget how great it was when it was good...

Sigh.

<applause> Best comment ever!!

• Love 1

Awesome! And seriously, how could Sam be in a room full of such beautiful artwork and not get inspired by any of it?

Likely because in order to be inspired, Sam would have to think that something is more wonderful than himself.

• Love 3

I don't think that the producers are supporting Sam at all in this competition.  If they were, they would be giving him a better edit.  The  editors are throwing in the little flirtatious waves that he does, the accusations of flirting, the taking credit for Kini's design, etc, etc, and all of the negative comments from the other contestants.  If you ask me, the producers and editors are throwing Sam under the bus.  And also throwing Isaac under the bus by making it clear that Sam is still in the competition by the grace of Isaac and for no other reason.

The producers have to know that having Sam in the top 4, with some of the crap that he has pulled, actually hurts the brand of PRAS.  His continued presence cheapens it.

As far as Isaac, I have been the 40-something entranced by a sexy 20 something (who looked a lot like Sam) who knew exactly how to push my buttons and flirt to get me to help him and encourage him and talk praisingly about his work even when it was not so good.  I look at Isaac and cringe for him- someday he is going to look back on this season and wish it never happened.

• Love 7