Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!": TV Moments That Make You Irate

• Start Topic

I had to create this thread just to vent about a scene I saw last night on "All In The Family":

In, "Mike's Mysterious Son" (1972), a woman asks if Mike Stivic lives at the house;  she then leaves her 4 year old son there with barely a word.

Edith of course is freaking out and suspects that the boy may have been Mike's from a past affair.  Eventually, Mike gets home, sees the boy and doesn't think too much of it until he is shown a photo of the kid with his mom - who turns out to be a former girlfriend.  It has the entire family arguing (mostly Mike & Gloria) all night about the issue and the responsibility of what to do next.  The following morning the kid's mother returns for him, admitting she was missing him.  Eventually it's revealed the kid was not Mike's child but the product of a failed marriage the woman had after dating Mike.  She snidely remarks how the bio-dad liked kids about as much as [The Bunkers].  Archie speaks up and reminds her she left her own child on a stranger's doorstep and virtually no other information.  She gets all indignant because she couldn't date anyone since most men were running the other way once they saw the kid and she was trying to care for him alone.  Archie, in an almost cow towed tone, says good luck to her, then the woman and child leave.

I was so incensed at this final scene!  Archie should have been allowed to take it all the way home!  This woman dumps her child on a strangers home only because she saw Mike and Gloria together previously and thought they looked "happy"  and how they might be a good fit to take care of her son.  I was also pissed that she told the Bunkers virtually nothing (putting them through the angst of a child who may have been created by Mike and making it look like he was shirking his responsibility), put her child at risk since for all she knew, at least one occupant of the house could have been abusive, and it was all for her social life!   She was upset single men would duck out on her because she had a young child!  Perhaps I could have had some sympathy if it had been a job interview or was living on the streets and was trying to keep a roof over their heads, but it was all about her trying to get "another dad" for the kid!  

Here's what I wish Archie (or even Edith or Gloria) had said:

Look lady, Mike isn't the baby daddy so he has no responsibility to the child one bit!  Not only that but you dumped your child on a stranger's doorstep in the hopes of snagging a guy.  Were you expecting to get married in Vegas that night and spring the surprise the next day?  There's nothing wrong with single childless guys choosing not to stick with you knowing you had a child.  They are not obligated to raise him just because you made a bad choice in a husband earlier.  Plus, you didn't even tell us anything vital about the boy like allergies or something.  What if he was allergic to that peanut butter sandwich we fed him?  I'm sorry you have to raise him alone, and I hope things improve for you both, but you have earned no sympathy from me.  All of this is the result of your poor decisions, and you're lucky we didn't end up calling social services to have the kid picked up!  

• Love 5

So funny that you started this thread because I saw something a week or so ago that had me fired up and I was thinking about creating one myself. 

On Say Yes to the Dress (which, yes, has many infuriating moments), a woman comes in with her mother and when she's asked the price range, the mother says $8,000-$10,000.  The bride gives her a look, but doesn't say anything and it's easy to see from the mother's face that she was uncomfortable with that range, even though they could obviously afford it (the mom might have even said something, I don't remember, but the look on her face when discussing the price was definitely that of unease).  So, the sales person brings in a dress that's $14, 000 and, of course, the bride loves it.  What?!  She never should have brought that dress in in the first place.  But, wait, there's more!  After showing it off to the mother, Randy has the nerve to say "You look so beautiful!", putting the mother in a tough position.  I believe they did buy the dress and I was irritated with the mother for not saying, at the very least "If you want it, you can pay us back the extra 4 grand", but if I'd been there, as soon as the cameras were off, I'd have asked for a manager and complained about the appointment.  Talk about being put on the spot and being made to look like the bad guy!

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 7

Oh, too many infuriating moments on SYTTD for me to count. Was that the woman who said something to the effect of "It's boggling to me?" Honey, it's "mind-boggling," not "boggling." I would be a horrible wedding dress salesperson, I'd be like, "I wouldn't spend that much money on it, it's really not that important in the grand scheme of things."

• Love 4

Magicdog, I had a similar reaction to the movie "Three Men and a Baby". To this day I become incensed that the men were just going to give the baby back to the woman who dumped her kid off at a strangers door, without even a extra diaper or food. But she was in a bad place, poor thing. I still think they should have kicked her pathetic but out the door. I know it has been years, but that was an awful movie!

• Love 4

The episode "Happy Birthday" from CSI: Miami: A pregnant woman is carjacked and left in critical condition. Eventually, it's revealed that her own husband was the one that planned the attack because he wanted her to lose the baby. Why? Because he'd been married once before and he believed that marriage ended just because they had a child together. He then goes off on this rant about how children are "parasites" and he didn't want to lose his new trophy wife to a baby.

Dude. FUCK. YOU. Your marriage didn't fail because of your child, it failed because you were a selfish asshole that refused to grow up.

I swear, that guy deserved to be kicked in the balls so hard he'd have to piss sitting down.

• Love 6

Nothing wrong with not wanting a child, or thinking they're too much interference with a relationship, but wouldn't he have found it a lot easier - and, you know, much more humane and legal - to simply get a vasectomy and marry a woman who also did not want kids (I know TV doesn't think we exist, but we do - at all ages, and at all levels of desirability)?

• Love 17

Of course there's nothing wrong with not wanting kids, but what pissed me off was how he blamed his first divorce SOLELY on his son and just automatically assumed his new wife having a new baby would destroy that marriage. As if he had no responsibility on either happening at all. Dick.

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The episode "Happy Birthday" from CSI: Miami: A pregnant woman is carjacked and left in critical condition. Eventually, it's revealed that her own husband was the one that planned the attack because he wanted her to lose the baby. Why? Because he'd been married once before and he believed that marriage ended just because they had a child together. He then goes off on this rant about how children are "parasites" and he didn't want to lose his new trophy wife to a baby.

Dude. FUCK. YOU. Your marriage didn't fail because of your child, it failed because you were a selfish asshole that refused to grow up.

I swear, that guy deserved to be kicked in the balls so hard he'd have to piss sitting down.

That was a ripped from the headline story wasn't it?  I swear I remember a football player doing something like this.

A quick google search says it Rae Carruth I was thinking of.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

There are many moments that angered me on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but this one pretty sums up ALL my issues with Xander:

In the episode where Anya kills a bunch of fratboys and Xander and Buffy get into a fight over whether to take her out, Xander claims that Buffy wouldn't do this if she knew how he felt. Buffy reminds him that she had been in the same situation with Angel years ago, and Xander had zero qualms about Buffy having to kill someone she loved once he became a threat.

Xander's response? "That was completely different."

Yeah, because it wasn't someone YOU cared about! Maybe Buffy and Xander were both being hypocrites in this situation....but for Xander to give Buffy so much grief over dating a vampire, only to go around and hook up with a vengeance demon (whose body count was probably just as high, if not more), and never ONCE acknowledge to Buffy that being with Anya gave him any perspective on what she went through with Angel is just frustrating. I could have forgiven all of Xander's faults --ALL OF THEM -- if he ever owned up to that. But he didn't.

• Love 8
On 5/30/2016 at 7:04 AM, Spartan Girl said:

There are many moments that angered me on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but this one pretty sums up ALL my issues with Xander:

In the episode where Anya kills a bunch of fratboys and Xander and Buffy get into a fight over whether to take her out, Xander claims that Buffy wouldn't do this if she knew how he felt. Buffy reminds him that she had been in the same situation with Angel years ago, and Xander had zero qualms about Buffy having to kill someone she loved once he became a threat.

Observation, and keep in mind that I grew to hate Buffy for reasons that should be obvious.

At least Anya was willing to die for what she did, since she told Xander to get out of the way and let Buffy do what she had to, and when that didn't work she took back the wish that cost those fratboys their lives. Because it wasn't just the previous situation with Angel, but the one with Spike killing people while "under the influence". Which.....please. The fact that Buffy was willing to shrug and do nothing, and not just do nothing but refuse to keep Spike chained up because it might make him uncomfortable, but wanted to decapitate Anya ratchets her hypocrisy so far above Xander's that you'd have to use the metric system to measure the difference.

• Love 1

At least Anya was willing to die for what she did

I don't think what Anya was willing to do has any bearing on whether or not that makes Xander less hypocritical. Unless you want to go down that rabbit hole which would mean the fact Spike goes to get his soul back negates the wrongdoing on Buffy's part...

wanted to decapitate Anya ratchets her hypocrisy so far above Xander's that you'd have to use the metric system to measure the difference

I may vear in to speaking for the OP (and if it isn't what you meant - sorry I'll take the heat) but what I get from that criticism is not a tit-for-tat who is more wrong. Rather, it comes across as Xander never ever being wrong, or learning or growing and being the epitome of a 'Nice Guy'. Sure, he hated Angel but it wasn't because he used to be a vampire - it was because he had the hots for Buffy. Spike - criticisms there were valid but were only expressed similar to Angel in that he thought Buffy should be 'better' i.e. live up to what he wanted. As I remember it, Buffy's real criticisms of Anya was that she was not likeable and rude - not much mentioned about her being a murdering demon (which you could argue is a bit of self-awareness on her part about her dating history). And basically when it came to murdering boyfriend/girlfriends they would be about equal wouldn't they? Buffy wasn't prepared in that particular moment to kill Angelus (but worked up to it fyi) and neither was Xander. It would have made a substantial difference to the criticisms of Xander as being a 'Nice Guy' if he was able to show a bit of awareness and even yes, apologise to Buffy for giving her so much grief once he recognised the similarities (which may be worse when you consider Buffy was 15 when she hooked up with Angel and Xander was 18+ when he started on with Anya. Repeatedly).

So that is my way of saying- I agree with the OP. That wasn't a good moment for Xander or the BVS universe.

• Love 7

I am usually inclined to defend Xander but that particular episode was based entirely on the premise of characters passing the idiot ball to one another from start to finish. Up to this point, everyone (infuriatingly, if you ask me) had behaved as if Anya's history of mass murder was a mildly embarrassing peculiarity of hers, rather than an actual problem. Then she murders some people (after Buffy inexplicably had allowed her to grant "harmless" wishes for months) and Buffy suffers convenient amnesia because the writer is desperate to rip-off the classic episode Becoming, so he needs the dilemma to be "Kill Anya or allow her reign of terror", rather than "Hey, remember that vengeance demon wishes can be undone and that Anya can be stripped of her powers?". Then Xander fails to explain why Anya's case is different than say Angel's. So, yes, of course it was extremely hypocritical of Xander to date Anya after loudly complaining about Angel many times but it was also beyond ridiculous that Buffy and the rest noticed that more than 3 years too late. In short, everyone was behaving grossly OOC when it came to Anya because the writers didn't consider her so much a character in her own right, she was used more as a comic relief prop.

• Love 4

Stalkers getting their object of stalking to fall in love with them. Most recently Joey and Willow on Liv and Maddie. Willow had been stalking/harassing Joey for years and at her high school graduation he realized that he actually liked her and went out with her. What makes it worse is that this show is on Disney Channel, aimed at young children who may now think that this sort of behavior could actually work for them or that maybe they should consider dating their stalker.

On the bright side, Newt on Nickelodeon's Bella and the Bulldogs realized how badly he was acting toward Sophie when he was on the other side with a girl who liked him. So he stopped with his inappropriate behavior toward her.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Stalkers getting their object of stalking to fall in love with them.

Rachel on Crazy Ex-Girfriend crossed that line for me when she finally finagled Josh into sleeping with her. Yuck.

• Love 1
(edited)

The storyline on Boy Meets World where Topanga broke off her engagement to Cory over her parents' divorce always makes me angry.  Being upset over her parents' divorce was one thing, but it doesn't really give Topanga the excuse to be such a complete bitch to Cory.  It was like she was punishing him for a crime he didn't even commit.  And when he finally had enough and decided to go on a date with another girl, she has the nerve to act all hurt and upset.  When the studio audience gave her the "aww" of sympathy, I wanted to scream, "NO!  She does not get the 'aww'!  The breakup was her own damn fault!"

Adding to my ire was her snotty "If she's who he wants, let him have her."  Yeah, how dare Cory be upset that you broke up with him for such a stupid reason.  How dare he move on with his life just because you're not interested[/sarcasm]

She came to her senses and they got back together of course, but honestly, after all that crap, I wouldn't have blamed Cory if he didn't take her back after all that.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8
(edited)

I could literally fill a book (maybe even a whole damn library) with the many moments that Marge has pissed me off on The Simpsons.  But of one the many episodes on the show that infuriated me was "She Of Little Faith", also known as the episode where Lisa becomes a Buddhist.  That whole episode was just "oh HELL no!" moment for the way that everyone treats Lisa like she's become a Satanist.

Marge was especially despicable in this episode.  Not only does she fail to stand up for Lisa when Reverend Lovejoy calls her a "devil daughter" she even tries to manipulate Lisa into reconverting as a Christian with the following: 1) pretending to be God, 2) implying that she won't get dessert in her lunch unless she's a Christian, and 3) bribing her with Christmas presents, even tricking her into thinking she got her a pony.  Homer went along with it, sure, but he deserves credit at the end for saying that he was fine with Lisa continuing to be a Buddhist while Marge still has capital-I issues with that.

And what makes me madder is that the end of the episode is spun like Lisa was the one that had to learn a lesson since Buddhists can still celebrate other religious holidays.  Uh, writers?  Lisa wasn't the one that was disrespecting other people's religious beliefs!  If anything, Marge should have been the one to admit that she was wrong.  But of course she never does, because according to the writers and everyone else in the Simpsons universe, Marge is just a long-suffering saint of a woman and therefore everything she says or does is justifiable.  Forgive me if I throw up in my mouth a little.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Ugh. That reminds me of an episode where it's revealed Marge sneaks meat juice in Lisa's food. It was only one throwaway line so I assume she's still doing it.

Oh yeah. Another episode had her actually PRAYING that a health problem Lisa was having was caused by being a vegetarian. I hate her so much.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

In doing another ER re-watch, I am absolutely enraged by the fact that Dr. Romano was killed by that goddamn helicopter. Dumbest television death ever.

The way he died was bad enough, but I also hated how nobody attended his memorial. I get that he was an asshole, but damn...that was cold. It's not like they even had to go out of their way to attend,  it was in the hospital! 

• Love 7

Everything about that was so infuriating. The idea that one person was in two helicopter accidents in his life was just totally unbelievable. It's like he was Captain Hook and once the helicopter got a taste of him, it was just a matter of time. It's horrible writing.

I'm doing a Buffy rewatch and got to the episode Into the Woods. The speech Xander gives Buffy when he decided to stick his nose into her relationship with Riley where he blames her for that relationship failing has to be one of my least favourite moments of TV ever. First off, it isn't Xander's business. Second, he's very wrong. Riley issued an ultimatum and had been acting like a shitty boyfriend for half a year at this point. Riley was mad at Buffy because she wasn't focused on him while Joyce was in the hospital with a brain tumor. Third, Xander has been treating Anya like crap for weeks at this point, undercutting her in front of the Scoobies and talking down to her like she's a small child so it's not like he's a relationship expert anyways.

I get so angry with that episode because Buffy goes chasing after Riley and it seems like the show wants us to think Riley was a good guy and Buffy was at fault and I for one second cannot believe or accept that as true. Riley is jealous that Buffy was thralled by Dracula and got bitten, jealous of the time she spends with her family, jealous of the time she spends working on slaying, angry that Buffy isn't more emotionally open about Joyce's illness when Buffy (as she always does) takes on the responsibility of protecting those she loves from being hurt, angry that Buffy wasn't available to him so he went to a vampire brothel and then he issues an ultimatum telling her to get over the hurt he's caused right away and love him "right" or he's leaving immediately. She laughs in his face and all is right with the world and then Xander shows up and I get ragey. Had to get that out of my system.

• Love 10
On 6/13/2016 at 9:39 PM, Rosiejuliemom said:

In doing another ER re-watch, I am absolutely enraged by the fact that Dr. Romano was killed by that goddamn helicopter. Dumbest television death ever.

I definitely have some leftover ER rage.  Particularly for Sam, who I absolutely hated.   We were supposed to see her as this scrappy, self-sufficient single mom, but she kept moving herself and her psycho son in with different (rich) men.  And when her ex shot up the place, which sent Abby into premature labor that nearly killed her and baby Joe, Sam never even uttered a word of apology or sympathy to Abby.  If Abby hadn't figured out Sam was in danger, no one would have even realized the guy was taking her hostage.

• Love 9
On 6/14/2016 at 9:23 AM, vibeology said:

Everything about that was so infuriating. The idea that one person was in two helicopter accidents in his life was just totally unbelievable. It's like he was Captain Hook and once the helicopter got a taste of him, it was just a matter of time. It's horrible writing.

YES!  I kept wondering if Paul McCrane ran over someone's cat or something, because the way they treated him was horrible, and the helicopter death was like the cherry on a shit sundae.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

YES!  I kept wondering if Paul McCrane ran over someone's cat or something, because the way they treated him was horrible, and the helicopter death was like the cherry on a shit sundae.  

I wondered if his death might have been due to some backstage shenanigans, but apparently not. He directed several episodes after Romano got squished and returned for a season 15 cameo and the retrospective, so it seems like he remained on good terms with the crew. In a way, that makes his death even worse, as it was done purely for ratings...and wasn't even a good episode. 

11 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I definitely have some leftover ER rage.  Particularly for Sam, who I absolutely hated.   We were supposed to see her as this scrappy, self-sufficient single mom, but she kept moving herself and her psycho son in with different (rich) men.  And when her ex shot up the place, which sent Abby into premature labor that nearly killed her and baby Joe, Sam never even uttered a word of apology or sympathy to Abby.  If Abby hadn't figured out Sam was in danger, no one would have even realized the guy was taking her hostage.

Sam could be semi-tolerable as long as none of her relatives were seen or mentioned aside from her grandmother. Gracie was awesome and I'd have swapped Sam for her in a hot minute.

Not only did she not apologize to Abby, I don't recall her ever saying anything to Jerry, who almost died as well.

• Love 3
On June 14, 2016 at 10:23 AM, vibeology said:

I'm doing a Buffy rewatch and got to the episode Into the Woods. The speech Xander gives Buffy when he decided to stick his nose into her relationship with Riley where he blames her for that relationship failing has to be one of my least favourite moments of TV ever. First off, it isn't Xander's business. Second, he's very wrong. Riley issued an ultimatum and had been acting like a shitty boyfriend for half a year at this point. Riley was mad at Buffy because she wasn't focused on him while Joyce was in the hospital with a brain tumor. Third, Xander has been treating Anya like crap for weeks at this point, undercutting her in front of the Scoobies and talking down to her like she's a small child so it's not like he's a relationship expert anyways.

I get so angry with that episode because Buffy goes chasing after Riley and it seems like the show wants us to think Riley was a good guy and Buffy was at fault and I for one second cannot believe or accept that as true. Riley is jealous that Buffy was thralled by Dracula and got bitten, jealous of the time she spends with her family, jealous of the time she spends working on slaying, angry that Buffy isn't more emotionally open about Joyce's illness when Buffy (as she always does) takes on the responsibility of protecting those she loves from being hurt, angry that Buffy wasn't available to him so he went to a vampire brothel and then he issues an ultimatum telling her to get over the hurt he's caused right away and love him "right" or he's leaving immediately. She laughs in his face and all is right with the world and then Xander shows up and I get ragey. Had to get that out of my system.

This. So much.

if there's one thing I hate, it's when cheaters make it seem like they're the victims. Case in point: Xander's utterly shitty behavior towards Cordelia after their breakup. Xander KNEW he hurt her by cheating on her with Willow, knew that she had feelings and had gotten to know her behind her superficial Queen C visage, and yet after she made it clear that she was done with him, he acted like none of that had ever happened and proceeded to diss her every chance he got with the lowest kind of vitriol possible. Saying your ex's dress makes her look like a nympho isn't cute or funny, it's slut-shaming.

Yes, Cordy did the exact same thing, but it was understandable that she'd want to hurt him the same way he did her. Xander didn't have the right to claim any hurt feelings; his motivation for baiting her every chance he got was spite, sour grapes, and plain old jealousy. It wasn't until he found out that she was broke (along with her assumption that he'd laugh about it with his friends) that he was finally shamed into realizing how toxic things he let things become.

• Love 7

"Luca$" is another Simpsons episode that pissed me off.  That's the one where Marge is terrified that Lisa is going to wind up with a guy like Homer just because she starts hanging out with a kid that is a "competitive eater".  Seriously, Marge, YOUR DAUGHTER IS EIGHT YEARS OLD.  Just because she supposedly likes a boy now, doesn't mean she's going to marry him 20 years later.  And stop projecting your bitter, petty, resentful marital dissatisfaction on your daughter.  Homer might not be perfect, but at least he accepts Lisa for who she is.  He's not a control freak that is obsessed with organizing every single aspect of daughter's future.

• Love 3

This change is just pissing me off and I couldn’t find a thread that was more appropriate, so I’m putting this here:

Since when is House a Hero, let alone an Icon?!? The Heroes & Icons channel pulled NYPD Blue and replaced it with House. House. From what I can remember, he was an ASSHOLE.

At least I have my Nash Bridges and JAG. And Hill Street Blues, Numb3rs.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Since when is House a Hero, let alone an Icon?!? The Heroes & Icons channel pulled NYPD Blue and replaced it with House. House. From what I can remember, he was an ASSHOLE.

Well, so was Sipowicz, so clearly they have a loose definition or consider the main characters as a whole.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

H&I is still playing NYPD Blue. Maybe they moved it; it's early morning now where I live.

Right. But they stopped with the Tuesday 9-hour block if NYPD Blue and replaced it with House. But I’m still flummoxed that this show is in this network.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right. But they stopped with the Tuesday 9-hour block if NYPD Blue and replaced it with House. But I’m still flummoxed that this show is in this network.

A lot of people consider doctors heroes. He maybe an unrepentant asshole but he still saves people’s lives nearly every episode.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
On 9/22/2018 at 2:31 PM, biakbiak said:

A lot of people consider doctors heroes. He maybe an unrepentant asshole but he still saves people’s lives nearly every episode.

I consider doctors heroes too. Just not House. And I’m not asking anyone to agree with me; just stating that I don’t consider House to be a Hero. And yes, Sipowicz was an ASS in the first season, but his character grew and changed from what I can remember.

And again, just stating how feel.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

The name of a cable network has long since become irrelevant to its programming. American Movie Classics most popular program is a TV show about zombies. SyFy channel is right this second running a James Bond movie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

The name of a cable network has long since become irrelevant to its programming. American Movie Classics most popular program is a TV show about zombies. SyFy channel is right this second running a James Bond movie.

I think the gadgets in James Bond would qualify it as borderline science fiction. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

SyFy channel is right this second running a James Bond movie.

Yeah, borderline.  Although they do run a lot of science fiction shows and many have been some of my favorites - Warehouse 13, Eureka, Alphas, Lost Girl, Dark Matter, Incorporated, Z Nation,  Killjoys, The Expanse.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
On 6/14/2016 at 9:06 AM, Sweet Tee said:

Xander, in general, needed to keep his trap shut about Buffy's love life.

I still cant believe that no one ever found out that Xander lied about finding Angels soul, so that Buffy would kill him when he was Angelous. I mean, if he had just told Buffy the truth, that they had a way to get Angel his soul back, and he lied so that he would have to die, is seriously sucked up, especially from an alleged good guy. If he had done that, maybe more people would have lived, Angel wouldn't have been sent to Hell, and Buffy would have one less traumatic incident to deal with. You could say that he did it because he was pissed at the evil Angelous had done, or was afraid he would come back, but I never bought that. I always thought that he was jealous of Angel being with Buffy, and this was a chance to get rid of him. But, even if he had more altruistic motives, its still super messed up that he did it, and that he was never caught and called out. Wouldn't that have been an awkward conversation?

• Love 9
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I still cant believe that no one ever found out that Xander lied about finding Angels soul, so that Buffy would kill him when he was Angelous. I mean, if he had just told Buffy the truth, that they had a way to get Angel his soul back, and he lied so that he would have to die, is seriously sucked up, especially from an alleged good guy. If he had done that, maybe more people would have lived, Angel wouldn't have been sent to Hell, and Buffy would have one less traumatic incident to deal with. You could say that he did it because he was pissed at the evil Angelous had done, or was afraid he would come back, but I never bought that. I always thought that he was jealous of Angel being with Buffy, and this was a chance to get rid of him. But, even if he had more altruistic motives, its still super messed up that he did it, and that he was never caught and called out. Wouldn't that have been an awkward conversation?

I hate Xander so much but I never read that decision as jealousy or anger with Angelus or anything else petty. I always read that as Xander not wanting to Buffy out of the game. She was going into a life or death fight and I always thought he didn't want her to be distracted by the idea that a spell might kick in and fix everything and die because she wasn't fighting as hard as Angelus. Angelus wasn't going to pull any punches and if Buffy had, she wouldn't have been alive to see him resouled. I think, charitably, Xander was trying to do a good thing and keep his friend alive.

But it was still wrong. He made a decision for Buffy and Willow that wasn't his to make and I do wish it had come back at him at some point. Buffy deserved to know the whole board and Willow deserved to have her message passed along and not have words put in her mouth. But it's the sort of wrong decision that good complex characters make. I think of Xander's lie the way I think of Giles killing Ben; wrong but coming from a place I can connect with emotionally.

• Love 7

There are a few moments from  The Golden Girls (of all shows) that never fail to make me angry.

The episode where Sophia brings home that boxer, Kid Pepe and it's revealed that he speaks perfect English and wants to be a serious actor and musician. He, oddly, turns on the women and accuses them of "buying in" to the stereotype of a Cuban boxer who spoke no English. I guess the show was going for a very special moment there but it fell flat because the women never assumed anything or bought into any stereotype, they didn't know him and was simply going on who he led them to believe he was.

Then the episode where Sophia sets Gloria up with Stan. I never found that funny, it was cruel. Granted, Dorothy had forgiven Stan for what he did during their marriage, but still, it was a terrible thing to do. Then adding insult injury, Sophia basically said that Gloria deserved to have a rich man and live a comfortable life while Dorothy basically didn't.

Then there was the episode where Rose went around believing that Bob Hope was her father. It was ridiculous, even by Rose's standards, and she caused a lot of problems as a result.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Every sitcom that decided a pregnancy was a good idea!

When the actress and her partner thought it was a good idea, why not.  Goddess  bless Lucille Ball for standing her ground on this most basic of female performer issues.

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

When the actress and her partner thought it was a good idea, why not.  Goddess  bless Lucille Ball for standing her ground on this most basic of female performer issues.

Characters aren’t actors. What’s right for somebody in real life isn’t necessarily going to be right or plausible for a character on a tv show. I do get that an actor might prefer not to have to conceal a pregnancy during filming but that doesn’t mean the show runners should be forced to change the character to accommodate them. 

And then of course there’s the cases where TPTB just think a pregnant sitcom character is a good plot and it has nothing to do with the actor being pregnant. 

Edited by Ceindreadh
  • Love 19
17 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Every sitcom that decided a pregnancy was a good idea!  Murphy Brown, Mad About You, Modern Family, Will And Grace, etc, etc, etc.   ??

Generally true, but the Murphy Brown birth episode remains one of the funniest half hours on tv ever.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Characters aren’t actors. What’s right for somebody in real life isn’t necessarily going to be right or plausible for a character on a tv show. I do get that an actor might prefer not to have to conceal a pregnancy during filming but that doesn’t mean the show runners should be forced to change the character to accommodate them. 

And then of course there’s the cases where TPTB just think a pregnant sitcom character is a good plot and it has nothing to do with the actor being pregnant. 

Thank heavens that Seinfeld didn’t think it would be cute to copy Julia L D’s pregnancy on  the show. (twice).  I have found that making the character pregnant doesn’t usually work, because that’s not how the characters relate,   ?

Edited by SrOfficial
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I agree and so many times it seems like they don't bother to ask is it character for character to be pregnant now? Or at all? Like on Gilmore Girls, the actress who played Sookie was pregnant during season seven. But her character already had the two kids she wanted and her husband a vasectomy (okay she made him get one but that's a whole other issue) so you'd think they decided just to ignore. Nope, they wrote the pregnancy in by throwing her husband Jackson who really is a nice guy under the bus by having him had lied that he got a vasectomy. There was no reason to write it in and throw Jackson under the bus. Even if the actress isn't pregnant that's something they still should consider. Miranda on Sex and the City ends up with a surprise pregnancy. She doesn't want to be pregnant and decides to abort the baby. But of course Miranda ends up deciding to keep the baby. Even though nothing about her suggests she wants a kid. During the pregnancy she's rarely thrilled about it and often doesn't seem that thrilled about being a mother. Why did she have to be the one to end up with a "surprise" pregnancy. On Rizzoli and Isles, Rizzoli ends up with a surprise pregnancy too. She is another character with zero interests in kids. Nothing about her suggests she wants or has any interest in being a mother. When she finds out she's pregnant she's not thrilled at all. So you'd think it would be a great idea for Rizzoli to get an abortion (well second great idea. The first was her not getting pregnant at all). Well, no of course that doesn't happen. Instead we get to watch Jane who is a cop not at all being careful with her pregnancy while chasing suspects and criminals and not wanting to be pregnant. Practically everything she does practically screams she doesn't want to be pregnant. Everyone around her is all excited except Jane. Why does she have to have a kid she clearly doesn't want? Eventually, she ends up with in a fight with a suspect and gets beaten and yes, you guessed it that caused miscarriage. Oh, yeah, that was so much better the Jane learning she was pregnant and getting an abortion. Or you know not getting pregnant at all. How is it a great storyline watching a pregnant woman who doesn't want to be pregnant? Then watch her get beaten into causing a miscarriage? 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, festivus said:

Ugh, now I'm glad I quit watching that show before I had to see that. (Rizzoli & Isles)

I made it all the way to the end. I really wish I hadn't. They ended it with Jane decided to leave the police force and become an FBI instructor. Even though there it made no sense. Jane would never want to be an instructor. She loved her job and there really was nothing else she'd rather too. She loved being a detective out there working, working with her brother, Korsak and her best friend and hanging out with Maura. Maura's ending fit with her. Trying new things and taking a month off to write a book in Paris. That completely fit with Maura. Jane's did not fit Jane.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2