Type keyword(s) to search

Lady Dynamite - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love Maria Bamford. This show is like no other - the way she's managed to weave surreal absurdity and wicked show-biz satire with the story of her mental illness is quite amazing. Season 2 has been even wackier than the first, and I didn't think that was possible. 

I had a hard time keeping up with the hilarious dialogue this season - I felt like it whizzed past me like bullets. One of my favourites was when she was sprinting down the gleaming sci-fi hallway in the final episode and exclaimed "I feel like I'm in Gwyneth Paltrow's colon!"

Other stuff I love:

The 80's flashbacks: as someone who graduated high-in 1988, these are priceless.

MVP Fred Melamed as her sad-sack manager Bruce Ben Bacharach.

The inclusion of some weird random animal in almost every episode.

I wish these forums were more active - I feel like this show isn't getting the love it deserves.

I may re-watch both seasons just to try and catch minute funny stuff I missed the first time around.

• Love 3

I finished the season today. I took my time watching it because I didn't want it to end. I love everything about this show. There's so much packed into each episode.

The fourth episode reminded me that I'm still mad at my mother for cleaning out her attic and donating my middle school speed skates. I'm 43. I just want to skate around my home like Maria still does.

Maria's dad is a different person in the present (Ed Begley, Jr.) than in the past. Did we get an explanation for that?

Special shout-out to Tink the goat.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Maria's dad is a different person in the present (Ed Begley, Jr.) than in the past. Did we get an explanation for that?

Special shout-out to Tink the goat.

I'm not sure why they cast a younger actor to play Maria's 80's Dad, when they kept her Mom the same in both eras. At first I thought it was because it would be more challenging to make Ed Begley look younger, but Mary Kay Place looks the same. Not sure what the logic was behind that. Maybe that her Mom was more omnipresent? I have no idea.

Tink rules!

• Love 1

Great article @bilgistic.

Really glad to hear that she's made short work hours and taking care of herself a priority while the show is in production. Also loved that she wanted hire as many friends & family as possible and have lots of animals! So adorable. Her real-life husband plays the space lothario in the future sequences. 

I also really like the actor who plays her "faux" husband on the show - he's like a big Icelandic teddy bear. I wonder why they cast him (apart from him being likeable), as he's also supposed to be Icelandic on the show, yet they kept his character name as "Scott Marvel Cassidy". Maybe it's just additional oddball humour they decided to leave in.

• Love 1

I continued to enjoy the show, and would have happily watched another season, but compared to the first season, there were more times in the second season when I felt the show was struggling to hit a groove. (That said, there were also moments that were amazing.) So besides the toll the show was taking on Maria, the show may have lived its natural life.

I'm not sure why they cast a younger actor to play Maria's 80's Dad, when they kept her Mom the same in both eras. At first I thought it was because it would be more challenging to make Ed Begley look younger, but Mary Kay Place looks the same. Not sure what the logic was behind that. Maybe that her Mom was more omnipresent? I have no idea.

I'm guessing Ed Begley Jr. just wasn't available since they're still using Mary Kay Place as the mom in the earlier flashbacks. But Kurt Braunohler is a great choice to play a younger version of Ed Begley Jr. I recognize him from his many appearances on @midnight.