Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Didn't Expect It To Go Down This Way

Heads Up Maddie:

Emancipation is not something to do because your parents do not understand you, because they do not pay attention to you, because you are unhappy, because you don't like your parents, etc. Emancipation is a legal tool that you may want to look into if:

Your parents have taken out loans and credit cards in your name, thereby ruining your credit and making you legally responsible for their debts

Your parents have taken money from you that you have earned or that has been given to you

Your parents have told you that you no longer may live with them

Your parents have told you that, for you to continue to live with them, you must engage in activities that go against your values or that would be profoundly degrading or humiliating

Conditions at your parents home are unsanitary or unsafe

Someone in your parents home has physically or emotionally abused you, or threatened such abuse

In many states, being granted emancipation by a judge may require you:

to bring forth evidence enough to convince the court that emancipation is in the best interests of you, or your parents, or your minor child (if you have one)

be living apart from your parents or guardian, or to be ready to do so immediately

be managing your own money

---

This legal definition makes Maddie's drama sound all the sillier!

• Love 8

My bigger question is how some random person at Sony was able to tell Cash that Edgehill was looking at Maddie. That seemed to be all under Jeff's table with the exception of the boss guy, right?

Is the boss guy Cash's hook up or some other nonsense?

Heads Up Maddie:

[Emancipation if ... ]

Your parents have told you that, for you to continue to live with them, you must engage in activities that go against your values or that would be profoundly degrading or humiliating

And no, college does not count.

Thank God Juliette is back to her Juliette ways. She makes me smile, while so much of this show makes me roll my eyes these days. But there are positives. 

Will is such a cutie. It should not be that hard for him to find a nice guy. I mean, he is smart, good looking, musical, sweet, and has grown past his self hating violent phase, the dude is a catch. Try a dating site! It could work!

Personally, I thought Deacon overacted a bit last week, but not as much as I think the show wants me to think he did. I mean, a guy was starting to put his hands on his 16 year old daughter, who was in a bar singing about being a bad girl. That does, in fact, need a reaction. I think he was perfectly rational this episode, and handled things really well. That leads me to..

Maddie is the worst. Seriously. Why is she acting so damn oppressed? She is just a spoiled brat, being enabled by weirdo Cash, who might be the weirdest character this show has ever had. Why is she getting so involved with this teenage girl drama? Why should I care about her, or her whiney dad? Oy!

• Love 6

Yes, why does Cash (stupid name) have connections??  Is she supposed to be an aspiring artist herself?  Has she ever performed anywhere other than the dump she took Maddie to?

I think Cash is supposed to be a working songwriter or something. That's why Maddie was excited to meet her back when she first showed up. So, I could buy her knowing someone at Sony, it's not necessarily a person super high up. I don't get why Sony would know about the Edgehill deal though.

I loved this episode but then I am a JJ fangirl.

I liked that he came so close to kissing Juliette when she picked up Cadance. I loved him singing with Layla; their voices worked very well together. I loved almost all the music on the show.

I just watched a Prince tribute. It said that Prince wrote all his music, produced his music, sang, played guitar and keyboard. On the show Avery does all that, so why hasn't some Nashville biggie snagged him.

• Love 1

I think it may be the actual worst thing this show has done.

I just don't understand why they went here. Why why WHY?

I think Lennon has turned out to be a much better actor than they thought, so they're giving her a meaty storyline.  It's realistic, in my opinion.  Maddie has the typical teenage know it all attitude.   She's spoiled and entitled, and catered to excessively.  I think this is a natural progression for the path she's led the last year or two.  As much as I can't stand Maddie, I kind of like the story.  Rather than a predictable infidelity story line, I like the fact that Rayna and Deacon will struggle as parents, and it may test their marriage. 

I also believe that Maddie would be vulnerable to what Cash has to give.  She similarly attempted to latch herself on to Juliette, but Juliette seemed to have a sisterly affection for her.  This SL will be worth it if Maddie ends up a little humbled.  She needs it because her ego is out of control.

I don't understand what they're going for with the Maddie storyline, I really don't. Are we supposed to see Cash as a supportive friend, a weirdo with a crush on an underage kid, or someone who wants to exploit a famous couples' daughter for career or financial gain? The show's not telling us, and the whole situation just seems unbelievable (and makes Cash look super creepy).

Cash completely creeps me out.  We're supposed to think she's a little over fixated on Maddie, right?  She deliberately inserted herself between Cold and Maddie - literally and figuratively.  It seemed to be romantic in nature, but it's hard to tell because the actress is so mediocre.

One side of me feels bad for Rayna and understood how scared she is to lose Maddie.  The other side wants Rayna to tell Maddie, "Don't' let the door hit ya where the lord split ya."  What a little a-hole.  She fits in with the a-hole family of Cash and Frankie.

Oh man I need Deacon and Rayna to give Maddie a figurative smack down.  She's been nothing but coddled and enabled by her three parents.  I hated how they stood around wringing their hands while Maddie threw temper tantrum after temper tantrum.  And how in the hell does Cash have a house on her own?

It's tough love time, but they're too afraid of the publicity, and overly concerned about Maddie's image.  Call the damn police and have her ass hauled home.  She also needs to be told that she's obviously too immature for a music contract at this time, and put her career on hold.  Cancel her cell phone, stop her allowance, and call the police on Cash for sheltering a run away against her parents' wishes.  They should also fight tooth and nail to block any contract she attempts elsewhere.

Maddie has Deacon wrapped around her finger and he's still too insecure in their new relationship to push her too far.  Rayna's blinded by her own history as a rebellious teenager, and is therefore treating Maddie with kid gloves.  Maddie holds all the power and she knows it.

I will be bothered if Maddie is successfully emancipated.  It's somewhat difficult to do, and usually requires abuse from the parents, and/or misuse of the child's earnings.  The girl who plays Alex on Modern Family had to fight hard and long to be emancipated from her mother.  The cast and crew of the show had to become involved, and report things such as her mother seriously restricting her food intake so she'd look better on camera.

I want Maddie's judge to laugh his ass off and throw her case out.  "You're a little too big for your britches, little girl.  Go home and count your blessings that you have a family who adores you, a natural gift, and the money and opportunities to pursue it."

• Love 2

I forgot to comment on the melodrama of Maddie's escape, replete with curtains blowing in the breeze of her open window.  The only thing Maddie missed was having Martina McBride's A Broken Wing playing on a continuous loop.  This girl is such a drama queen.  I would have died if they found her beneath her window with a broken arm (happened to a friend's daughter).  I know it's a little anti-climactic to simply walk out the door, but it's a lot safer.

• Love 4

Would anyone want that girl behind the wheel?

Not me. She'd run all of the red lights because some piece of electric machinery will not dictate when she can and can't proceed down the road.

You guys don't understand! The lane lines and stop lights are just trying to control her and get in the way of letting her do whatever she wants and that's not faaaaaaiiiiir. Why should they get to decide where she can drive and when she can drive? She's old enough to decide if she wants to swerve all over the road or drive through an intersection without slowing down. It's just mean and selfish for anyone to expect her to stay in her lane and drive the speed limit.

• Love 9

I haven't watched this show for a long time, but I caught this episode. Wow, this show is terrible.

So Rayna leaves to find Maddie and Deacon takes Daphne to ballet. Are we supposed to believe Deacon did Daphne's crown french braid/bun combo that we see in the scene in the car outside ballet class? That poor kid is going through the awkward stage.

Love Hayden's short hair.

I haven't watched this show for a long time, but I caught this episode. Wow, this show is terrible.

So Rayna leaves to find Maddie and Deacon takes Daphne to ballet. Are we supposed to believe Deacon did Daphne's crown french braid/bun combo that we see in the scene in the car outside ballet class? That poor kid is going through the awkward stage.

Maybe Juliette's hair people stopped by and did it. It was the same style she wore to the movie conference. Looked good on both of them.

• Love 3

I think Daphne is adorable and do not see anything awkward about her.  

• Love 11

But how did Maddie know there was a possible deal with Sony in the first place? Did Cash just randomly call Sony and luck in to finding out about the deal?

Earlier in the season (I believe it was the episode after Maddie performed with Juliette) Bucky calls Rayna to tell her that Sony saw the video and wants Maddie as a solo artist. Instead of just being coy and saying "we will discuss this later" and Maddie would've been none the wiser, Rayna blurts out "she's 16 and not signing a solo deal with Sony!"

So then of course Maddie throws a tantrum about how Sony wants her and Rayna can't stop her.

Enter the Highway 65 deal to shut her up. That worked out so well.

• Love 1

I will be bothered if Maddie is successfully emancipated. It's somewhat difficult to do, and usually requires abuse from the parents, and/or misuse of the child's earnings. The girl who plays Alex on Modern Family had to fight hard and long to be emancipated from her mother. The cast and crew of the show had to become involved, and report things such as her mother seriously restricting her food intake so she'd look better on camera.

I want Maddie's judge to laugh his ass off and throw her case out. "You're a little too big for your britches, little girl. Go home and count your blessings that you have a family who adores you, a natural gift, and the money and opportunities to pursue it."

I really think that they're going to make Deacon out to be this violent monster to get the thing done. The writing is on the wall in bright neon colors.

It's unfair and ridiculous and I will hate the show forever and probably consider not coming back on the off chance there is a 5th season, but my gut says they're going to do it.

Much like their irresponsible portrayal of organ donation (you'll die! Even though there's only a 1% chance you're going to die!) and their embarrassing writing of a gay storyline (if you come out your life is over and endangered!), this does nothing but send the message that all spoiled brats have grounds to emancipate. If they go the route I'm thinking, then they're sending the message that it's okay to say your father's angry reaction when you eff up is child abuse.

Macauley Culkin and LeeAnn Rimes also emancipated, but if I remember correctly their parents were spending all of their money like there was no tomorrow.

That they're using a legal platform reserved for kids who are truly abused and wronged to begin with makes me so sick I can't even talk about it.

• Love 5

Congratulations Nashville writers, you have made me dislike a Connie Britton character. While Maddie of course is a nightmare, her mother is the one I am frustrated with. Your child is a coddled, entitled brat. That blame is on you and Teddy (and Deacon a little). Yes Maddie didn't find out about Deacon being her dad but that was two years ago. The statute of her being pissed about that has ran out! Time to punish her and stop apologizing to your 16 YEAR OLD. She has had no consequences for anything she has done. You don't want it to be public record she ran away, well she shouldn't have gone out of that window if she didn't want to be embarrassed. No she's not covering up the death of someone (Luke) but Rayna cares just as much about her image as he does. Also no caring about Vita this week Ray? A shiny coin went across the floor so Rayna is already distracted again. Lamar is having a big chuckle at all this as others have noted and he should. 

Best thing about this show right now is Juliette Barnes and Hayden coming back. Loved her reactions this week to Avery/Layla on stage. Her face told us all we needed to know about what she was going to do next. She still loves Avery and she is determined to get him back. Admittedly she tore her relationship with him apart but she is not giving up on him. I kind of like it. While mature Juliette is nice to see while dealing with Cadence, Jules has always been ambitious and a schemer and using Riff being off tour to her advantage is Classic Juliette that I have missed. Layla and Avery's faces said everything. LOL. 

• Love 5
Well, and why shouldn't she?

I'm having a hard time with this argument.  It smacks of a variant of the "afluenza" teen.  I'll agree that Maddie has led a very privileged and sheltered life, but I think that there are plenty of things that one is aware of even if they don't understand them or they aren't part of their particular life experience.  Particularly in this day and age of social media, I don't think the idea that "the only thing I know is the only thing I should expect" really holds water.  I agree that Rayna was very protective in her parenting, but self-awareness isn't only developed through interactions with others.  I believe that it is also within you and comes from yourself. 

Heck Colt is joining the army.  Even though his grandfather had something to do with that, Colt had an awareness of a life that was different from the one he knew well before that.  It wasn't a developed awareness, but Colt has not followed his father into the business.  That may be because he's not musically inclined, but he's not interested in any of the business part of music, or backstage stuff, or anything like that.  He probably could have been involved in the music world if he wanted to be, but he's aware that there are things outside of that.  By all accounts, his upbringing has been just as privileged as Maddie's, so if he could figure out that there was life outside of his "bubble," I don't see why Maddie has to be specifically told, "Hey, not everyone becomes a country music superstar."

Best thing about this show right now is Juliette Barnes and Hayden coming back. Loved her reactions this week to Avery/Layla on stage. Her face told us all we needed to know about what she was going to do next. She still loves Avery and she is determined to get him back. Admittedly she tore her relationship with him apart but she is not giving up on him. I kind of like it. While mature Juliette is nice to see while dealing with Cadence, Jules has always been ambitious and a schemer and using Riff being off tour to her advantage is Classic Juliette that I have missed. Layla and Avery's faces said everything. LOL.

Someone wayyyyyyy upthread mentioned jealously with Juliette, and yeah, I guess that's a part of it, but I think this is also about empowerment.  "I'm Juliette Barnes.  I'm back, and I'm awesome, so STEP OFF, Layla!"  It is Classic Juliette, and I like it, too!

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 4

I'm having a hard time with this argument. It smacks of a variant of the "afluenza" teen. I'll agree that Maddie has led a very privileged and sheltered life, but I think that there are plenty of things that one is aware of even if they don't understand them or they aren't part of their particular life experience. Particularly in this day and age of social media, I don't think the idea that "the only thing I know is the only thing I should expect" really holds water. I agree that Rayna was very protective in her parenting, but self-awareness isn't only developed through interactions with others. I believe that it is also within you and comes from yourself.

Heck Colt is joining the army. Even though his grandfather had something to do with that, Colt had an awareness of a life that was different from the one he knew well before that. It wasn't a developed awareness, but Colt has not followed his father into the business. That may be because he's not musically inclined, but he's not interested in any of the business part of music, or backstage stuff, or anything like that. He probably could have been involved in the music world if he wanted to be, but he's aware that there are things outside of that. By all accounts, his upbringing has been just as privileged as Maddie's, so if he could figure out that there was life outside of his "bubble," I don't see why Maddie has to be specifically told, "Hey, not everyone becomes a country music superstar."

This.

Also, I would say Colt was even more privileged than Maddie. While she did live a very spoiled and sheltered existence by average standards, one thing Rayna and Teddy did do well was try to keep a good head on the girls' shoulders.

This was evidenced by giving them a normal daily routine complete with school and after school sports/activities. Sure, it was a fancy private school, but it wasn't boarding school with horses. They got to sleep in their own beds every night.

They had a normal, simple Christmas routine with the same decorations every year that built a sense of family and tradition. When Rayna seemed put off that they'd be spending Christmas in Australia or where ever, Luke passed it off like nothing and made the comment that his kids had spent Christmas in so many different places and that the girls would "get used to it."

Rayna also seemed to attempt to keep the girls grounded by avoiding lavish things like private planes and the glitter glam lifestyle.

I think all of this is really noticeable in the scene on Luke's jet where Colt is demanding something of the flight attendant and Daphne decides to follow suit and gets snippy over her chocolate milk while Maddie looks at her like she's an alien.

Then later when the girls were talking about jet setting and elaborate boarding schools is when Rayna shut things down.

They didn't seem to be used to the extravagance that Colt and Sage were showered with and expected.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 2

Someone wayyyyyyy upthread mentioned jealously with Juliette, and yeah, I guess that's a part of it, but I think this is also about empowerment.  "I'm Juliette Barnes.  I'm back, and I'm awesome, so STEP OFF, Layla!"  It is Classic Juliette, and I like it, too!

Of course she is jealous. She'd never admit it. Forget Avery and Layla, the person I feel for the most going on this tour is poor Emily! Haha. Watching over Juliette will be a full time job itself. 

• Love 2

Earlier in the season (I believe it was the episode after Maddie performed with Juliette) Bucky calls Rayna to tell her that Sony saw the video and wants Maddie as a solo artist. Instead of just being coy and saying "we will discuss this later" and Maddie would've been none the wiser, Rayna blurts out "she's 16 and not signing a solo deal with Sony!"

So then of course Maddie throws a tantrum about how Sony wants her and Rayna can't stop her.

Enter the Highway 65 deal to shut her up. That worked out so well.

Thanks! I'd forgotten about that scene. All I could remember was Teddy signing on the dotted line for the Edgehill contract to save his butt.

Frankly, it would have saved a lot of trouble if they'd hired her a reputable manager and gotten the Sony deal signed for her, with some caveats. Like she has to have a diploma and be 18 before she can tour full-time. 

Edited by Clemgo3165

Did the writers forget that Rayna's mansion is two stories, all the bedrooms are on the second floor, so did they make Maddie jump out of the window from the second story because I didn't see a ladder? I know this is just an out of the park comment but can't they at least make it believable that she ran away, out the front or back door. Isn't there someone on the staff that's suppose to point out things like that. We need a new crew for season #5 if we get one. This girl who so much wanted these two people to be together and get married now has completely turned her back on them in such a way that it's so unbelievable.

Cash is putting idea's in her head that will cause Maddie a lot of problems but I guess she will have to fall down hard before she realizes what Cash is up too.

• Love 4

Did the writers forget that Rayna's mansion is two stories, all the bedrooms are on the second floor, so did they make Maddie jump out of the window from the second story because I didn't see a ladder? I know this is just an out of the park comment but can't they at least make it believable that she ran away, out the front or back door. Isn't there someone on the staff that's suppose to point out things like that. We need a new crew for season #5 if we get one. This girl who so much wanted these two people to be together and get married now has completely turned her back on them in such a way that it's so unbelievable.

Cash is putting idea's in her head that will cause Maddie a lot of problems but I guess she will have to fall down hard before she realizes what Cash is up too.

Not really surprising. No matter what anyone thinks of Teddy, he raised her for 14 years. Once she found out about Deacon, Teddy was just the big meanie who made her go to school and do homework. Ugh! 

Also Cash, are we ever going to get an idea of her motivation to this creepy involvement with Maddie? Lost career? I mean I hope its something if I have to watch Maddie become emancipated for no good reason. 

• Love 2

I suspect, in this emancipation thing, the Lawyer for Maddie, is going to realize that they have no case for emancipation, against either Rayna or Teddy.

Rayna may not have been on board with Maddie starting her career this young. At times, maybe she was a bit overly protective. She was certainly never abusive, in any way. Teddy is in prison, but that's irrelevant to the emancipation. Whatever his mistakes and bad choices, certainly he was never a threat, to his Daughters. If anything, both Rayna and Teddy, were overly indulgent.

Sooooo-we have Deacon, who has battled his demons all his life, going way back, to a nightmarish childhood. His anger issues, sometimes rear their head, but, I think it's a no brainier, that he'd die, before he'd intentionally harm Rayna or either of the girls.

I'm Betting, though, that what Maddie's team will try to show, is an unstable alcoholic, who can be dangerous. A man who Maddie is afraid of. A man that Rayna chose over her Daughter. I can see them going after him hard.

It's such BS. And, if Maddie goes along with it, reservations or not, it's not only selfish, it's cruel!

I hope I'm wrong, but, bad feelings about where we're headed.

BTW, wasn't there something in one of the sides, about an argument between Deacon/Frankie, that plays a part, in the hearing, and ends up causing major problems for R/D? (Sorry if this is too spoilerish, but, I'm sure it's been discussed).

I think Daphne is adorable and do not see anything awkward about her.  

She is adorable but she also is going through that awkward physical stage many children her age experience. It will work itself out as she starts to grow taller.

I did not think that Deacon over reacted at all at the club when Maddie was performing. He was allowing her to finish a song with lyrics I'm certain he disapproved of and didn't go to grab her until that weirdo started fondling his child's leg.

• Love 3

Oh, Nashville.  I knew what I was in for as soon as I saw the obvious, cliched scene where Rayna is frantically looking for Maddie, only to dramatically look at the OPEN. WINDOW!!!!  That had me laughing for a good minute.

This shit has really gotten ridiculous.  Maybe I really need to look into this, but isn't emancipation for a minor suppose be if their parents were really, really bad?  Like they've been abusive, in legal trouble, or not providing for the kids?  Because all I see is that Rayna and Deacon are maybe in the overprotective side of things, and Deacon has a bit of a temper, but has never laid his hands on Maddie.  So, there really is a lawyer who thinks Maddie has a case?  Really?!  What judge out there is going to be "Sure, you should totally be separated from your rich parents, who clearly love you, and just hang with this psychopath in the making, who is this close dying your hair and turning you into her own Mini-Me!"?  I just don't get it!  I get teenage rebellion, but this is going to a whole other level!

Oh, and the whole Sony thing has really taken a turn thanks to real-life events, because thanks to that shit that is currently going on with them and Keisha, I'm just like "You really want to get involved in that, Maddie?"  Then again, I doubt Maddie pays attention to that stuff.  It's just about the music!  And how her parents are the worst!  And Cash is the greatest!

That said, Rayna still frustrates me, because I do think her lax parenting on other issues has helped this happen.  When she was all "I'm sure we'll all work it out!" to Bucky about it, I knew it was trouble.  She really just didn't know how bad it had gotten.  Now she does, but it's too late.  Maybe she just needs to let it happen.  It's scary, but maybe she needs to let Maddie either make it work on her own or, more then likely, fall flat on her face, and crawl back.  Because that is more likely.  Or Cash will be her undoing. She make think she's an adult, but Maddie really is sheltered, and I think she would be in for a rude awakening, once she becomes an "adult."

Autumn really is pitting Scarlett and Gunnar against each other.  Have no idea why, but she couldn't have picked two better targets, because they really are dim enough to fall for it.

So, this whole Riff thing was, what?  Just a placeholder until Juliette comes back? Feels like a waste.

That said, even though I saw it coming a mile away, I so love that Juliette convinced Luke to have her go back on tour.  I just love how she throws everyone off their game.  I don't care how evil it is: I was cracking up when it panned to Layla, and she really looked like she was about to cry.  Although, I have a feeling when this is all said and done, Avery's probably going to just wish he was working at the Bluebird again.  I so would not want to be caught between those two.

Will sucks at dating and has no gaydar, but I loved him asking Avery for advice.  Like Avery is the master of dating and figuring out sexual orientation.  Oh, Will.

Don't feel any guilt, Daphne!  Just because Maddie is a shithead, doesn't mean you have to be responsible for hiding her lies and deceit!  Team Daphne!

Favorite moment was Rayna and Juliette meeting up again, but it feels so rare now, but that was one of the things I loved about the show way back in season one.  Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere work so well together.  More of that and less of.... whatever the hell all of this has been.

• Love 3

If it was me on that stage and my dad walked in? That guy who was touching Maddie would be lucky to still be standing. My mom probably would have gone to the club manager and threatened to call the state liquor authority to revoke his license for allowing an underage patron, but yeah my dad would've killed the guy and dragged me off kicking and screaming. So Maddie got off easy IMO>

• Love 1

The girls go to private school right? Thry were uniforms so i may be just assuming. Rayna and Deacon should tell Maddy that if she wants to be emancipated then she can go to public school in whatever district cash live in, so she should probably say goodbye to all the fancy music equipment her school has. Also they should turn off her phone. She's emancipated so she can get her own phone. She's such an entitled brat that a dose of reality about all the things her parents provide her with would do her good.

• Love 2

I was critical of how Deacon reacted last week and I do think he needs to come up with some coping skills to deal with his anger, but if the speculation here is right and the show is going to paint Deacon as so dangerously violent to warrant emancipation, that's ridiculous. Deacon can be violent but never towards either girl or Rayna and he's always been provoked in some way. That's not great, but certainly not a legal cause for emancipation.

When Rayna first went to Cash's house, she should have sat down and refused to leave. What was Cash going to do? Call the cops? Maddie was hiding in her backyard. Even if Rayna wasn't sure that Maddie was there, she was nearly certain that Cash knew where Maddie was. She played that wrong right from the start. But Rayna has never been presented as a smart parent so I'm not surprised.

I did love Will's little plot and I'm excited the show has things looking up for him. Sure he has no gaydar, but he's got a good career and they laughed off the hang out/date screwup.

I also loved everything with Juliette/Avery/Layla. I'm still sympathetic to Layla. She hasn't done anything yet except be kind and thoughtful to someone who has been a good friend to her. She got Avery a job that perfectly fits his needs and skills, made sure that he and Cadence had a good setup and featured him on-stage. As evil plots go, it's kind of the nicest one ever.

And that's not to say that I'm not sympathetic to Juliette as well. She was sick and finally went away to take care of herself and when she comes back, the world has changed. Avery is gone, she doesn't get much time with Cadence and Layla is the hot new thing at the exact same time that she needs to relaunch her own career. I get why that's tough for her and I feel for her too.

Really, compared to the dreck that's the Maddie plotline, this one is nuanced, full of people I actually feel for and I understand every character's motivations. Avery wasn't going on that tour until that moment with Juliette and he decided to distance himself from her so he wouldn't fall back into the relationship. I saw that moment and understood what happened because the writing and acting made it clear. Does anyone know why Cash is all up in Maddie's business? It's so strange to me that part of the show can have so much care and the other part is a hot mess.

• Love 3

There's a part of me that suspects Maddie wanting to make music but only because she wants to be "famous". She seems to want fame and music is her ticket to that. I think Daphne might be more talented than her. Also, yes emancipating herself from her parents is hilarious, and she said a lawyer said she has a good case to do so? How? On what grounds is what I would like to know. I would love to know how that went down "My parents won't let me have a music career!" is her reasoning, pretty much. Seriously, this storyline is the worst, my only guess is Cash is up to something and Maddie does become emancipated and somehow Cash takes her money or does something to leave Maddie in a bad situation and Maddie has no one to call, except for Juliette who comes to her aid and reconnects the family together. That's the only way I can see this thing going and somehow making sense. Cash seems to want something from Maddie, I'm not sure what but we will see. 

• Love 1
Did the writers forget that Rayna's mansion is two stories, all the bedrooms are on the second floor, so did they make Maddie jump out of the window from the second story because I didn't see a ladder? I know this is just an out of the park comment but can't they at least make it believable that she ran away, out the front or back door.

I imagined that she climbed down the conveniently placed tree just outside her window, just like Sarah Jessica Parker in Girls Just Want to Have Fun!

But yeah, it's a lot easier to just walk out the front door, especially if you are carrying a bag of clothes or your guitar. I snuck out of the house when I was in high school and I just waited until my parents were asleep and then unlocked the door, walked out, and locked the door behind me.

I totally cracked up when we got the most cliche visual in the world: open window with curtains softly blowing in the breeze. You know, because on tv if a kid runs away, they never leave their bedroom window closed. And on tv, happy kids who stay at home never leave their windows open. An open window is the universal sign for "child has run away!" The other reason that cracks me up is that I always lived in houses where the windows had screens so if I had decided to run away via my bedroom window, I would have had to remove the screen first.

Heads Up Maddie:

Emancipation is not something to do because your parents do not understand you, because they do not pay attention to you, because you are unhappy, because you don't like your parents, etc. Emancipation is a legal tool that you may want to look into if:

Your parents have taken out loans and credit cards in your name, thereby ruining your credit and making you legally responsible for their debts
Your parents have taken money from you that you have earned or that has been given to you
Your parents have told you that you no longer may live with them
Conditions at your parents home are unsanitary or unsafe
Someone in your parents home has physically or emotionally abused you, or threatened such abuse
In many states, being granted emancipation by a judge may require you:
to bring forth evidence enough to convince the court that emancipation is in the best interests of you, or your parents, or your minor child (if you have one)
be living apart from your parents or guardian, or to be ready to do so immediately
be managing your own money

I watched the very short-lived Red Band Society and one of the main storylines was about a teenager who tried to become legally emancipated so that he could make his own medical choices regarding his cancer treatment (his family would not give permission for what his doctor suggested) and one of the huge roadblocks was that he could not prove financial independence. Unless Lamarr left Maddie a huge trust fund, the inability to financially support herself will be only one of the reasons the judge would not approve her emancipation.

• Love 1

I watched the very short-lived Red Band Society and one of the main storylines was about a teenager who tried to become legally emancipated so that he could make his own medical choices regarding his cancer treatment (his family would not give permission for what his doctor suggested) and one of the huge roadblocks was that he could not prove financial independence. Unless Lamarr left Maddie a huge trust fund, the inability to financially support herself will be only one of the reasons the judge would not approve her emancipation.

I think it's crazy for Maddie to think she should get emancipated, but the financial thing could be easy for her. She wants to do it so she can sign a deal with Sony. The deal supposedly includes a huge advance, so she'd be able to support herself. 

But I don't think Maddie meets any other requirement for emancipation.

I would imagine Lamar left both of his Granddaughters substantial trust funds.

I'd also imagine he'd set the funds up, to not be available, to them, until an age, when they'd, hopefully, be mature enough to handle large sums of money (say, 70)!

Seriously, I can't picture the Lamar we all knew and loved(ahemm) turning large sums of money, over to kids! My guess would be 25ish.

• Love 1

My theory is that Cash was abused by alkie dad Frankie and that's why she hates parental authority.

Chances are good on this, but please Show - I don't care about Cash or Frankie.

John Cusack got emancipated so he could work hours as an adult. It's not outside the realm of possibilities that Maddie could get herself emancipated.

Was not aware of that, but was it contested by his parents?  It might have just been legal maneuvering so he could legally work longer hours because I don't believe parents can give consent to that even if they want to.

I know I've bagged on how old Cash looks, but in the recap I thought the picture of Luke and Riff's wife was Luke and Cash and I did not remember a scene with them together at all.

Sex. Lots and lots of sex.

Okay I laughed too hard at that. Probably because it's true. But then also, with this show, there's a possibility that they aren't going there even though all signs point to it.  Her hate on for Colt is what sticks out to me.

• Love 1

Even though I knew that once Riff disappeared and Luke was desperately looking for a fill-in, it was going to be Juliette, I still let out a whoop of joy when he announced her as his tour partner. Layla and Avery both looked like they'd been hit upside the head with a frypan, if for different reasons. I am going to love what happens next, unless the writers really piss me off and have Layla "win" somehow.

The whole Maddie thing, while I agree that it's at least an unpredictable plot turn and an interesting one in terms of how it will affect Deacon and Rayna and their relationship, I am frustrated by their responses so far. As in, why the hell not call the police? Why the hell not have Cash arrested for harboring a minor? And so on. It just doesn't ring realistically to me. If I had run off at 16 to go and live with some creepy older lady--who btw my father had already warned off of me--my parents would have burnt her house down around her ears. And called the cops, the SWAT team and the FBI to haul my ass home and lock her up, after they beat her senseless with a crowbar. Maddie continues to act like a hellion because all they do is wring their hands and whimper.

Will continues to be amazing. I loved his first failed foray into dating and am crossing my fingers that it's an omen of good things to come.

• Love 1

I'm afraid the situation has gotten to the point, where, the only thing, having Cash arrested, would accomplish, is further alienating Maddie.

It would play into Cash's hand, making her the martyr. The only one who really is on Maddie's side.

What's so unrealistic about the storyline, is the set up, or more lack of one. Maddie has known Deacon her entire life; loved him, as Uncle Deacon. When she found out he was her Dad, she was her Parent's biggest rooter. On the basis of a couple of incidents, where his temper flared, she thinks he's dangerous, and "insane"??

Suddenly, her need for a career, is so overwhelming, she's willing to destroy her family?

Where Cash started out, seeming like a friend/mentor, she's increasingly seeming, as she called Deacon, "crazy"!

Is she playing out her family issues, thru Maddie, or, does she just see the talented teen, as a meal ticket?

Either way, so not good!

• Love 1
On 21/04/2016 at 1:00 PM, memememe76 said:

This was such an awful episode. Maddie may be the worst character on TV.

I feel the same. So disappointing the writers have taken this direction with her storyline.

Riff is a waste of Steve Kazee. When he first appeared, I was impressed at how natural a fit he seemed to be, both with his acting and the country music. More than Kyle Dean Massey (as cute as he was with Will, it did seem like he was there more to further Will's journey than to be a character in his own right. Like Blaine early on in Glee) or Laura Benanti (who never sounded quite right singing country music and seemed to be there so Rayna would have someone to talk to). But they have not put him to good use. All the secondary characters they bring in should be helping the show, not distracting from it. It's like the writers don't like the show they're working on and keep trying to make it something else.

Has Gunnar been this crazy about James Taylor before the last few episodes? They have mentioned James Taylor a crazy number of times lately.

What? Juliette got to tell a joke? Amazing.

Juliette/Avery scenes that aren't depressing and angsty? Wonderful.

On the one hand, Maddie is written ridiculously. I feel like too many writers have something against teenagers because they're usually awful on TV shows that aren't specifically for teenagers. But on the other hand, I can kind of get why an outburst from Deacon like that with both physical violence and anger would provoke her when she just expressed concern about his stability. Though, again, I really don't remember this being that much of a part of the character in the beginning of the series.

I'm happy we're getting music again but I feel like they're giving Will and Scarlett some soulfulness in their songs that they're not really capable of. Those just aren't their voices. Particularly with Scarlett, I feel like all those early songs were designed to play to her strengths as a singer.

At this point, I'm not sure anything in her backstory could justify Cash's actions.

I love angry Juliette. Especially if her rage is targeted at Layla who has been all kinds of annoying lately.

I have no idea what they're doing with Luke lately. Sure, I hated him at first what with the creepiness that never went anywhere and some residual Smash hate but then they redeemed him for the most part. But now it's like he keeps going through the same plotlines where he's in the middle of a big mess and then someone tells "no, you're a great guy." Like, what is the point of this?

Less of Frankie and Cash, please. Can we bring Coleman back? We're missing our one black character at a time.

Aw, poor Will. The backup singer pinged my gaydar as well.

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Has Gunnar been this crazy about James Taylor before the last few episodes? They have mentioned James Taylor a crazy number of times lately..

I don't remember, but Sam Palladio apparently really loves James Taylor. It's a bit weird though with the number of times he's been mentioned you'd expect him to appear at the show at some point but that never happened.

• Love 1

James Taylor would make more sense than 

Spoiler

Elton John

So perhaps the more we say it the more likely it might happen. I for one would love to see James Taylor on Nashville.

• Love 1