Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: The Team

• Start Topic

What happened to Redheaded Multiple Girl?  For some reason I thought she might have been part of the team, but I didn't see her in the promo.  A team of 4 is kind of lame.  Plus, they are missing the mainstay of any comic team, a big guy with super strength.  

Not sure if that vial of mist that Lincoln showed to Australian guy was real or not, but seriously.... stick that thing into Mack already!  Mack can be the muscle on this team.

• Love 1

I kind of hope that it's more than a team of four. At least one more member would make it better. I wouldn't even mind if we haven't met them before, because Daisy could have recruited them during the hiatus between seasons 2 and 3. Plus, looking at these Secret Warriors, we got a guy who can shoot electricity, a girl who can move the earth, a guy who can bend metal, and a girl who can yo-yo. You have three offensive powers and I guess one defensive. It's just kind of lame for me. 

• Love 2

Nice swerve, I thought it was Lincoln from jump and they apparently confirmed my guess and then it was Daisy all along. Fairly bold move. Too bad though, I thought they were finally going to make Lincoln compelling.

Looks like they're finally going to find a way to make Skye-Ward happen, just not in the way any of us saw coming.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 1

Damn Daisy, that's cold!  I didn't ever think it was Lincoln, even after Coulson explained how and why he thought he was turned, but I didn't think it was Daisy either. My money was on Joey, though he was probably too obvious a choice since multiple characters noticed he was AWOL.   

That ending was great. I really didn't see Daisy being the one who got Hived but it was and I thought that it would've been Lincoln. I still don't like him and I was hoping that he would turn so he would be more interesting but having Daisy being Hived is, IMO, now better (and she even took the base down with them all in it). 

• Love 1

I hoped it was Daisy because I thought that would be the best twist. Too cheap to make it Yo Yo or Joey since they're the newbies, and it resolved too quickly/easily/neatly when they pointed the finger at Lincoln. I was really pleased to see that they actually went for it with Daisy, and it seems like they're going to play this out until the end of the season. Also I loved the shot of her leaving SHIELD and setting off her powers. It may be kind of a rehash of when Ward was revealed to be bad (with the trusted team member now on the other side), but it caught my interest than most of what's happened this season.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 3

I am so mad!  I accidentally saw promo pictures for next week, so I KNEW it was Daisy from the mention of one of them being turned.  I am usually a spoiler junkie, but I wanted to go into this one spoiler free. 

• Love 1

I am so mad!  I accidentally saw promo pictures for next week, so I KNEW it was Daisy from the mention of one of them being turned.  I am usually a spoiler junkie, but I wanted to go into this one spoiler free. 

Oh, yeah I saw those too but I thought that she would go to Hive to save her friends. 

Wow. I was sure it was Joey who was taken over by Hive. Didn't see it being Daisy. I'm impressed the show went there. Daisy has been this show's snowflake since Day 1. I'm assuming at some point in the future she will be unpossessed, but I think it will be interesting to see where this leads.

• Love 1

I knew it wasn't Lincoln as soon as they said it was, though I have to admit I bought the initial accusation. But once I knew it wasn't him I figured it was probably going to be Yo Yo since they had made Joey look suspicious. I wasn't even thinking about Daisy. So I'll give them credit for that.

If Hive can brainjack any Inhuman who comes close, doesn't that mean even Lash couldn't stop him?

• Love 2

How soon do episodes go "On Demand" on cable systems? I should have expected the cutaways to New York primary results from ABC . . . but then the local station had to do their own coverage, wrecking the episode for me. I didn't get to see Lincoln seemingly betray the team, I didn't get to see the Secret Warriors (seriously?) implode, and I missed a lot of the run-up to Daisy betraying the team. At least I got to see FitzSimmons kissing . . . which was nice, until the ceiling started falling on them.

Is it a trope for characters normally associated being good look really cool acting bad? Daisy was killing it in the end. Too bad her future will be with Hive, and it will be icky. Also . . . does anybody else associate the word "Hive" with DC Comics? I figure they would have the general patent with HIVE in Teen Titans and Arrow. I'd suggest "Swarm" for Ward, but I'm willing to bet they're saving that name and concept for a future season.

Fucking primaries.

How soon do episodes go "On Demand" on cable systems?

Fucking primaries.

They usually go up the next day, I'm not sure what time though.

Can someone tell me what happened in the final scene? My dvr cut off at Ward around a lot of shattered glass.

That was a good twist. After Daisy led them to the containment unit instead of out the door I assumed she was the staunchly loyal one. Turns out she was just setting up everyone's fears and insecurities. She was great this episode. I liked her speech and expression when jumping out of the plane and as mentioned upthread she had it going on at the end when she was crumbling the base.

Mallick being resigned to his fate was good too. I liked that he was smart enough to know that Hydra wasn't coming to help him and Hive didn't care about him at all. He says something about not expecting his last hurrah to be with SHIELD, shrugs and goes ahead. I hope he gave Coulson something useful before getting squished.

Fitz and Simmons making out was cute. I hope that since this is Jed Whedon rather than Joss they actually get a happy moment or two together.

Lincoln's powers look a lot better. Before he just did straight zaps of electricity. Now he's throwing people around with them and using them like whips.

Daisy is going to need some serious therapy after they break Hive's mojo on her. That is going to be one twisted relationship. I can't wait to see it!

• Love 1

If Hive can brainjack any Inhuman who comes close, doesn't that mean even Lash couldn't stop him?

Under the intelligent design theory if Lash''s purpose is to stop Inhumans out of Kree control then he may have a natural immunity to the power which is taking control from the Kree.
  • Love 2

Nice swerve. I did think about it being Daisy halfway through the episode, as a nice twist. She was really convincing, even though I noticed some odd behaviour at one point, when she was with Lincoln. And when they said it was Lincoln, just by looking in his bag, I knew there had to be more. So good going, show. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out, especially with Daisy destroying the base.

Poor Fitz and Simmons. Getting almost blown up, then getting to make out, and then getting the base falling on top of them. If one of them doesn't get a concussion after all that, I'll be surprised. 

Also I like how we get the reveal, but then so do the characters about Daisy. And hey, kind of a callback to season 1, with episode 17 of that season being the reveal about Ward. Ward/Daisy(Skye) shippers might get a little bit after their ship was thrown to wolves and ripped to shreads. But also good for non Ward/Daisy shippers, as we know it's not a real thing, especially since Ward is dead and Daisy is under mind control. 

Gideon Malick is finally dead. It only took forever and a day. But heh, his prophecy didn't technically come true, as he wasn't killed by Hive. 

Lincoln is still pretty boring, but he did have a good moment with his temper after being framed. He could have been a good evil guy for a few episodes. I enjoyed Yoyo for almost the entire episode, and then I was annoyed a bit with her willingness to turn so quickly on everything. I totally get why, but it still frustrated me. I like Joey the best out of the newbies, so I'm so glad he didn't turn out to be part of Hive. Also not sure if I'm fond of this growing Elena/Mack romance. 

If there are Skyward fans who are happy over this development they really do need help.

That said I like Chloe Bennett's performance as now brainwashed and evil Daisy.

I'm so glad the traitor didn't turn out to be Elena.

I like that Fitzsimmons have gotten together now that both have matured a bit.

• Love 3

Evil Daisy is more interesting to me than regular Daisy. And she's also more interesting than most of the villains that they've had on this show.

Side note: Does anyone else find it funny that this Daisy-goes-evil episode is 3x17, while the Ward-is-Hydra episode was 1x17.

Edited by kitlee625

Gideon Malick is finally dead. It only took forever and a day. But heh, his prophecy didn't technically come true, as he wasn't killed by Hive. 

He just assumed it was about Hive. But he actually described it as being torn apart from the inside, which fits with how Daisy killed him. So from the instant we knew he was dead, we actually had a huge clue about who did that to him, yet no one caught it. Well played, Show, well played.

• Love 1

How soon do episodes go "On Demand" on cable systems? I should have expected the cutaways to New York primary results from ABC . . . but then the local station had to do their own coverage, wrecking the episode for me. I didn't get to see Lincoln seemingly betray the team, I didn't get to see the Secret Warriors (seriously?) implode, and I missed a lot of the run-up to Daisy betraying the team. At least I got to see FitzSimmons kissing . . . which was nice, until the ceiling started falling on them.

Fucking primaries.

It depends sometimes they show up the next day at other times an entire week goes by and not until the next episode goes up. When I call the cable provider they blame the network for not sending the feed. Worse case is ABC.com should have it.

Nice swerve. I did think about it being Daisy halfway through the episode, as a nice twist. She was really convincing, even though I noticed some odd behaviour at one point, when she was with Lincoln. And when they said it was Lincoln, just by looking in his bag, I knew there had to be more. So good going, show. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out, especially with Daisy destroying the base.

If I am following the theology right Mr Giyera and now Daisy are Hive, not just the Ward body.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode, really, but once again, SHIELD has some potentially dangerous people in confinement and doesn't bother to monitor them.  No security guards outside the cell doors, no one watching cameras?  Come on, didn't you learn anything from what happened on the last episode?

Also, the preview showing Daisy all lovey-dovey with SquidWard made me throw up in my mouth a little. 

• Love 6

If I am following the theology right Mr Giyera and now Daisy are Hive, not just the Ward body.

They're connected to Hive but are still individual entities. According to Simmons, there's an infection in the brain, but it should be curable. So the Hive spores kill humans and hijack the minds of Inhumans, but the Inhumans aren't walking corpses like SquidWard. Regular humans are just food to him.

If there are Skyward fans who are happy over this development they really do need help.

That said I like Chloe Bennett's performance as now brainwashed and evil Daisy.

I'm so glad the traitor didn't turn out to be Elena.

What did Fitz say about the cosmos to Simmons?

Unlike Freeze-Ray-Eyes-Guy's zombie-like infection, Skye-Daisy seems to have a fair amount of free will with her infection. She seems like a convert who drank the kool-aide and not just a brainwashed minion. Hmmm...   Despite her turn to the dark side, I don't foresee it being permanent, just a source for future angst and guilt because "I did bad things." 

Fitz and Simmons being lovey-dovey? Again? How many times can they flip that switch from off to on before it loses it's appeal? It's just annoying now.

It looks as if AoS has attempted to steal some ideas from Game of Thrones, The 100, and JJ Abrams : everyone seems to have prominent scrapes, bruises and cuts on their faces ('cause they're hard-core fighters now). 

Edited by shrewd.buddha

Unlike Freeze-Ray-Eyes-Guy's zombie-like infection, Skye-Daisy seems to have a fair amount of free will with her infection. She seems like a convert who drank the kool-aide and not just a brainwashed minion. 

Could be the level of infection, Daisy was exposed to Hive very recently, Giyera has been hanging around him for awhile now.

• Love 1

Please tell me now that Daisy is evil/infected we won't have to see slow mo's of her and Ward walking around in matching Matrix wannabe coats!

Like Fitz and Simmons being happy and light hearted at the end.

Also loved May telling Lincoln to f-off when trying to give her pain meds. Love the look she gave him like I will get out of this bed and still kick your ass.

• Love 4

Lincoln is still pretty boring, but he did have a good moment with his temper after being framed. He could have been a good evil guy for a few episodes. I enjoyed Yoyo for almost the entire episode, and then I was annoyed a bit with her willingness to turn so quickly on everything. I totally get why, but it still frustrated me. I like Joey the best out of the newbies, so I'm so glad he didn't turn out to be part of Hive. Also not sure if I'm fond of this growing Elena/Mack romance. 

I don't find Lincoln boring, and I am actually starting to like him as a character.  I like that the SHIELD team doesn't trust him because it allows him to grow as a character.  Heck, I think residual animosity on Lincoln's part towards Coulson would be good too.  Making Lincoln a bad guy would simply be adding him to a long list of bad guys, which would be REALLY boring and redundant.  I think making Daisy, Coulson's favorite, the bad guy is a smart move - and a surprise.  It also helps to tamp down her arrogance as an inhuman.  She looks at only the positive side of her powers and how she can take on anyone, but sometimes - as she will learn - those powers can be manipulated and turned against you and the ones you care about.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 10

I don't find Lincoln boring, and I am actually starting to like him as a character.  I like that the SHIELD team doesn't trust him because it allows him to grow as a character.  Heck, I think residual animosity on Lincoln's part towards Coulson would be good too.  Making Lincoln a bad guy would simply be adding him to a long list of bad guys, which would be REALLY boring and redundant.  I think making Daisy, Coulson's favorite, the bad guy is a smart move - and a surprise.  It also helps to tamp down her arrogance as an inhuman.  She looks at only the positive side of her powers and how she can take on anyone, but sometimes - as she will learn - those powers can be manipulated and turned against you and the ones you care about.

This is a big part of why I like Daisy being turned. She's always been Coulson's golden child, and it's a nice shake up in dynamics to have her be turned. She's definitely had some Magneto-like views this season, not wanting anyone to control Inhumans (aside from her of course), and not wanting anything to stand in the way of all Inhumans having powers and the freedom to do as they want. It's nice that they're bringing in a balance, especially after we've seen several Inhumans who probably should never have transitioned (and many who didn't want to transition).

This episode was also the first time I thought that Lincoln worked as "angry outsider guy" when Daisy frames him precisely because she knows that everyone will believe he's evil.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 1

I like Lincoln as well, and I think this is a good storyline for him.  His girlfriend has been "swayed" by Hive and now he's going to have to find balance to try and keep her from destroying them yet at the same time not hurting her.  Mind control and possession are longstanding elements of comic books, and I like how this has been depicted so far.  Longtime X-Men fans like me are sure to remember the Malice storyline.  Malice was part of the enemy Marauder team and had no physical body of her own.  She possessed various X-Men, including Dazzler, and then settled on Polaris.  The scene of Havok realizing that his girlfriend Polaris was possessed by Malice was classic.

I also like how they are depicting Lincoln's powers now.  Before, they were just bolts of electricity.  Now he can attach the bolts to others and whip them like ropes.  Much cooler.  I have said all along that Luke Mitchell can be a good actor, so I think this storyline is going to be great for him as an actor.

I love Joey and Yo-Yo together.  I like how they speak in Spanish together (the double "What?!" from Daisy and Lincoln was funny).  I also loved when the elevtaor door opened, he melted the bullets and she hogtied all the enemies up.  Then it was even better when she was recounting the story to her teammates.  These two are so much fun.  I hope they stick around.

• Love 4

I think having Skye/Daisy being the infected one is a brilliant move. Probably the best thing the show has done since the initial Ward is Hydra reveal. Plus I like the concept of pairing Skye and Ward on the side of evil. It will be at least fun to watch.

• Love 2

Damned internet. My watch was delayed because my husband just HAD to watch the *&^%$$ baseball AND hockey games so an IMDB news post shouted the Daisy betrayal before I had a chance to see it. *grump*

You've got this so right. Maturity was exactly what I thought when they were sitting together after Malick blew. They're talking, as grown ups do. They're secure in whatever comes, like grown ups are. It also helps that the interaction was completely comfortable and the kisses were hot. :) Kudos to tPtB for directing Elizabeth to jump on Iain at the end there. CUTE!

I was expecting far too much of SHIELD. I thought- for sure- that, after Daisy villain monologued to Lincoln and walked into the hangar, a full bevy of SHIELD personnel would be waiting there for her, guns drawn.

So, if there was no surveillance (another poster pointed out that, after last week, there should have been), then someone should have noticed the way the surveillance was removed- if it was all fried by a Lincoln-like electrical surge, the gosh gee willikers have someone mention it, otherwise, I'm wondering why no one is looking (side eye- not as in help us find an...) at the hacker extraordinaire for an answer as to why the cameras don't work. And clearing all other Inhumans just because they found- but have not biologically/ chemically/ scientifically confirmed- the mole, is goofy. Bad plot service-y form SHIELD, bad form.

But FitzSimmons was CUTE!

And who's bright idea was it to keep Terrigen crystals out where an eight year old could get to them?

And Yo-Yo needs to push the giant chip off so that she and Mack can get back to gettin' to know one another. Pronto show.

Not sure how I feel about Hive's attempt at... world ending? Killing all de people? Mwuhaha-ing until... what exactly? I really don't get what he's up to.

Swerve! Errr. Sway!

Excellent, excellent twist. And some great subtle set-up. Two weeks ago Coulson again calls Daisy Skye, like he has a couple times this year. It serves two purposes, First, reminding the audience of that name, which is the only name Ward and his memories know her by, so Hive naturally refers to her by that name. Second, establishes his surrogate father perception of himself, and setting up how he'll deal with her as an opposing force.

Also I loved that Hive's brainwashing wasn't treated the same as Loki's scepter, Fennhoff's hypnosis, or later-Hydra's "Compliance." Daisy's rationalised this for herself. As Hive has basically elevated her "Inhumans are the next stage of evolution" thoughts. 

There was definite joy behind Daisy's eyes which I think were Chloe Bennett's delight in being able to explore a new part of her character.

• Love 1

This is a big part of why I like Daisy being turned. She's always been Coulson's golden child, and it's a nice shake up in dynamics to have her be turned. She's definitely had some Magneto-like views this season, not wanting anyone to control Inhumans (aside from her of course), and not wanting anything to stand in the way of all Inhumans having powers and the freedom to do as they want. It's nice that they're bringing in a balance, especially after we've seen several Inhumans who probably should never have transitioned (and many who didn't want to transition).

This episode was also the first time I thought that Lincoln worked as "angry outsider guy" when Daisy frames him precisely because she knows that everyone will believe he's evil.

I agree.  It's not like Coulson likes Lincoln particularly, which I think helps create a good dynamic for them.  Instead, Coulson never sees any issue with Daisy, and so for him to realize that it was Daisy who was the traitor and Lincoln the man framed, it just adds a good layer of drama.  She completely tapped into Coulson's reticence about Lincoln and used it to her advantage.  It was great.  I also like that Lincoln isn't so enamored of Daisy that he doesn't challenge her opinions.  For instance, Daisy felt that all inhumans should embrace their powers whereas Lincoln argued the point that they should have a choice.  He understood that these powers come with a lot of problems and complications, whereas Daisy saw it more as "But it's SO cool to have powers."  It's why I have a hard time seeing them together because she just comes off too young to me sometimes.  

All that being said, I think evil, corrupted Daisy will be a great change for the show, considering all the bad guys lately have been men.  It also creates the problem of how to defeat Hydra without harming Daisy.  They don't hate her the way they hated Ward after he turned.  They are going to want to get Daisy back and at what cost?  I think it's a smart storytelling move.  I am thoroughly intrigued with where this story goes now.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 2

I know black is standard Shield color but I wish they'd be a little more creative with those uniforms.  Hell, Lincoln even fights in a black turtleneck shirt!

Well Daisy did wear a red shirt in this episode after she turned into Dark Daisy. That probably should have been a tip off....

• Love 2

I agree.  It's not like Coulson likes Lincoln particularly, which I think helps create a good dynamic for them.  Instead, Coulson never sees any issue with Daisy, and so for him to realize that it was Daisy who was the traitor and Lincoln the man framed, it just adds a good layer of drama.  She completely tapped into Coulson's reticence about Lincoln and used it to her advantage.  It was great.  I also like that Lincoln isn't so enamored of Daisy that he doesn't challenge her opinions.  For instance, Daisy felt that all inhumans should embrace their powers whereas Lincoln argued the point that they should have a choice.  He understood that these powers come with a lot of problems and complications, whereas Daisy saw it more as "But it's SO cool to have powers."  It's why I have a hard time seeing them together because she just comes off too young to me sometimes.  

All that being said, I think evil, corrupted Daisy will be a great change for the show, considering all the bad guys lately have been men.  It also creates the problem of how to defeat Hydra without harming Daisy.  They don't hate her the way they hated Ward after he turned.  They are going to want to get Daisy back and at what cost?  I think it's a smart storytelling move.  I am thoroughly intrigued with where this story goes now.

I agree with the first paragraph (dammit I wish I hadn't been spoiled- it's almost impossible for me to see the nuances because I was so focused on what was coming).

I'm a little less in there for the paragraph #2; for me, - though I'll give "lately" to the boys- the villain- or sketchy character- gender dynamic has been fairly equal.

I weight Jiangying heavier than Malick, Lash, Werner, etc. The vast incarnations of Ward only weigh in male up to Hive. I'm gonna go with Hive being gender neutral. There have been several sketchy women, most notably Roz. Poor Roz. 

But, for me, the Get Daisy Back campaign isn't that intriguing? :( I wish it were intriguing to me. I'm almost sad- I really wanted M:AoS to share in the Civil War and be affected by it. Now, it looks like the season will end with Inhumans Vs Humans and SHIELD Vs Ward... again. :(

As much as I am excited about this reveal that Daisy is now Dark Daisy, I kind of feel like this is another time when the writers are taking the easier way out. Yes, they did pick a major character to do this twist, rather than throwing it to a newbie like Joey or Yo-Yo or Lincoln, who would carry less weight. However, it's striking yet again that Daisy is just a pawn in all this action. They teased her as having an extreme "Inhumans first" agenda, but rather than having her choose to act on those beliefs, the writers invoked magical brainwashing to create this rift in the team. What was interesting to me about the Ward betrayal was that he wasn't brainwashed per se. Yes, he had been conditioned by Garrett from a young age to be loyal to Garret and Hydra, but ultimately the Ward betrayal was about his choice between Garrett/Hydra and his friends/SHIELD. That moment when he dumped Fitz and Simmons in the ocean was particularly memorable. However, Daisy now is under mystical evil forces, and I'm sure that once the team finds the Magical McGuffin, she'll be right as rain again.

• Love 3