Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: The Singularity

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Just like "geneticist" are carrying around cybernetic eyes and the set up is that Simmons will attempt surgery on the spot. Or besides being a theoretical physicist Fritz seems to be a top engineer and biomedical engineer The doctor of all science character trope has been around as long as TV has had limited cast 

Oh no doubt, but my point was that the character somehow served both SHIELD and the Inhumans plans at the same time, for the same reasons, forcing them to square off.

• Love 1
Just now, Traveller519 said:

Oh no doubt, but my point was that the character somehow served both SHIELD and the Inhumans plans at the same time, for the same reasons, forcing them to square off.

Well it's another example of the universe being very very small. That being said, I am interested in how his Transhumanism views are going to come into play, and how he's going to feel about helping Hive. He may find that Hive's goals more closely align with his own than SHIELD's.

• Love 1
On 4/27/2016 at 1:51 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Well, it's the end of season 3 now. If we go by finales, season 1 had Fitz almost drowning, and season 2 was Simmons disappearing into the monolith. This season should end with something happening to Fitz. Maybe not death, per say, but if they keep up the pattern and not let them be happy, theoretically, it is Fitz's turn. Honestly, I still don't really ship them as a couple. I still prefer them as friends, so them having sex this episode didn't do anything for me. I guess I just buy their friendship chemistry more than a romantic one.

I loved May and Lincoln both calling Coulson out. So you think of Daisy like a daughter? So you're fine with keeping Daisy alive, even if it means people dying? But you're ok with Lincoln sacrificing himself for the greater good? Daisy being infected and Lincoln having the chance to be infected doesn't change that Coulson is being hypocritical and biased. I also enjoy the 'odder' couples more, because they're more interesting. Lincoln/May had that one episode together and I though it was fantastic. Same with Mack/Daisy, Bobbi/Fitz, and Coulson/Hunter this past season. Even thought May wasn't exactly standing up for Lincoln as a person, she did bring up the point that Coulson has too many emotional attachments to Daisy, and I think that hinders him as a leader. Yes, Coulson, May is right. May chose to shoot and potentially kill Andrew for the greater good, even though she loves him. So I think May, in that sense, is a much better leader, because she has to separate her personal feelings for the job. This is one of the things I don't like about Coulson. He's willing to sacrifice everything for his 'daughter'. I know it'll turn out alright in the end (besides a team member's death, apparently....BETTER NOT BE MACK, SHOW), but still. 

Also, I think Coulson makes Daisy look like a Special Snowflake, but I truly believe that she moved past that territory somewhere in season 2. And he keeps doing it, especially now in this episode. 

As for this team member's death, I think it'll go one of two ways: either it'll be permanent and they'll choose Lincoln, or it'll be some sort of fakeout death and it'll be someone like Fitz, May, or Mack. That's my theory. 

I'll admit, Brett Dalton is doing an excellent job as Hive. He's equally as creepy as he is charming. I can see why Daisy and the other Inhumans fall for it (the parasite thing aside). Oh, it's that replicating chick from last season! I really wish I remembered her name! And look, trailer park guy has an interesting power. Well...kind of. He makes things explode. I bet that'll backfire on him by the finale. He'll probably die. 

Simmons/Hive meeting was something I forgot that I wanted. Her getting to talk to 'Will' was interesting. Also, Fitz/Daisy's run in was intense. Depriving Fitz of oxygen (not that the writers were thinking of this being a callback to the season 1 finale) and then telling him that she'll snap his neck the next time he tries to intervene? 

I do think Coulson is going to need some help, maybe from Deathlok or Lash. Hey, I still have hope that Andrew can shift back from Lash at some point, alright? 

Yeah, I did love it when May and Lincoln both called out on Coulson and the fact that she is his favorite was great. Although, I feel that speech has fallen on silent ears. 

As with my thoughts on this episode, was that I thought that not much really happen and the actual plot seems more set up for the finale. Yes, this episode really appealed to all the ships- Sky/Ward (well it's not technically Ward but still it's his body) and the Fitz/Simmons shippers, but besides that, there isn't too much that happen. Yes, we got to see another new character (that geneticist) but that was really it for this episode that wasn't part of the shipping. 

As with Fitz and Simmons personally, I liked their friendship and not the romance story. Also, why do TV writers think that all friendships between straight male and female characters have to end with a grand romance? I get that the writers just gave all the shippers something that they all wanted to see, but come on, can't they do better with the actual plot? 

SquidWard is okay. I really do think that he has the potential to be a great villain, but I felt that alive-Ward was a better villain than him. I get that he is supposed to be something that is thousands of years old, and more smarter than Ward, but he isn't really doing anything other than collecting fellow Inhumans, buying a town, killing Malick's daughter, and appearing as the walking dead. Yes, he does have these little moments where he does shine but overall he is kind of boring to watch. Personally, evil Daisy (and now they are saying that she is acting like this because she is so high) is way more better to watch than SquidWard. 

As with who will die at the end; personally, I wonder if they will have a cop-out and not actually have someone to be kill off. Or they may kill someone but the actor will come back playing a different version of their character (kind of like what happened to Ward. He did die but he did kind of 'came' back from the dead). I just hope that May makes it out alive. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

As with who will die at the end; personally, I wonder if they will have a cop-out and not actually have someone to be kill off. Or they may kill someone but the actor will come back playing a different version of their character (kind of like what happened to Ward. He did die but he did kind of 'came' back from the dead). 

I was wondering about the cop-out myself. I think that they do need all the main characters right now (yes, even Lincoln). Coulson's not going to die, because he's the leader and all that. I don't think they'd kill May because she provides a good friendship with Coulson, the show might tease their possible romance next (they already have actually) and she's really the best fighter on the team. Fitz and Simmons are the engineer and scientist respectfully and they've already gone through multiple death scares. And I don't think Daisy will die, because the show loves Daisy, she has a useful power, and she's the only hacker on the team. Really, their two expandables are Mack and Lincoln.  Mack is still Daisy's partner, he still has a lot of story, especially with his brother, and I do think he is the second best fighter. Plus, he's the mechanic of the team. Lincoln could be killed and I wouldn't be upset, but he is another scientist, so he can always lend Simmons a hand (plus it adds another relationship to explore....and by relationship, I mean a platonic one). He also works well with May, so I find him good enough to want to keep around. 

Honestly, I could see them easily going with a fakeout. Whichever character they choose will die, but they'll come back somehow. Depending on what they do, whether is has to relate to Inhumans (like, maybe terrigen mist and we find out a member of the team is Inhuman), Hydra, or whatever new problem they are going to be setting up for next season. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

I was wondering about the cop-out myself. I think that they do need all the main characters right now (yes, even Lincoln). Coulson's not going to die, because he's the leader and all that. I don't think they'd kill May because she provides a good friendship with Coulson, the show might tease their possible romance next (they already have actually) and she's really the best fighter on the team. Fitz and Simmons are the engineer and scientist respectfully and they've already gone through multiple death scares. And I don't think Daisy will die, because the show loves Daisy, she has a useful power, and she's the only hacker on the team. Really, their two expandables are Mack and Lincoln.  Mack is still Daisy's partner, he still has a lot of story, especially with his brother, and I do think he is the second best fighter. Plus, he's the mechanic of the team. Lincoln could be killed and I wouldn't be upset, but he is another scientist, so he can always lend Simmons a hand (plus it adds another relationship to explore....and by relationship, I mean a platonic one). He also works well with May, so I find him good enough to want to keep around. 

Honestly, I could see them easily going with a fakeout. Whichever character they choose will die, but they'll come back somehow. Depending on what they do, whether is has to relate to Inhumans (like, maybe terrigen mist and we find out a member of the team is Inhuman), Hydra, or whatever new problem they are going to be setting up for next season. 

I was thinking that whoever is going to wind up on that Qinjet will probably be saved by an Inhuman teleporter. They kind of did a major easter egg drop/hint that it might be the comic book character, Eden Fesi. Sure he was a mutant in the comics but they already stated that in the show he is an Inhuman. 

• Love 1

They did something at the beginning that pushed one of my buttons. Lincoln jump-started the base's power with his magic electricity. 1) Don't they have any electrical engineers on site? 2) Zapping the junction box would be much more liable to trip the breakers in the real world rather than fix things.

This sort of attempt to exhibit mundane utility never fails to bug me.

• Love 5

Yeah, I think that would've overloaded the circuits in the fuse box, would've killed someone, and/or have started at least one small fire. Although I am not an electrician but that would be something I would actually be afraid doing. Yeah, I know it's a TV show that is set inside a comic book movie universe but still it was only there to look cool. 

Also, what did May say to Simmons before they left to do that undercover mission and how did she know that Simmons would need that gun?

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

FitzSimmons were just too cute this episode.  I wouldn't say I'm a shipper, but I want them to be happy, so I'm glad the Will part of SquidWard didn't derail things between them.  And I was so proud of Jemma for finally being able to shoot SquidWard (even if it didn't do anything).

Is it just me, or does SquidWard's accent jump around?  There's something really off about the way he talks that I find artificial and distracting.

Like (many) others, I appreciated May calling out Coulson's dirty hands.  Yeah, just a little bit of hypocrisy there, giving Lincoln a murder vest (I kind of liked Lincoln and his snarkiness this episode) while you're off to save Damsel-in-Distress Daisy from the same affliction ...

I hate that they keep popping up that flash-forward ~shocking death~ scene.  Why do shows/promo monkeys love to call attention to character death?  I really would rather not think about it (because it makes me worried -- it better not be Mack!).

• Love 3

John Hannah!  Always great to see him.  It's too bad they already had Lucy Lawless and killed her off, because there is a Spartacus reunion I would totally be down for!  Glad it seems he'll be playing a part in whatever HIVE is up too.  I wonder if we'll that henchwoman of his again, since she was played by a recognizable enough actress (Camille De Pazzis, who I've seen in both The Following and Last Resort.)

Well, it looks like Hydra is officially done (all that work for nothing, huh, Gideon?), but SquidWard and Hive continue to be getting by just fine.  Not only does he now have Dr. John Hannah and Daisy continues to be loyal to the extreme, he's now got Alisha and her clones under his spell, and even turned Australian dude into an Inhuman, and has him join their gang.  Australian guy can also shoot fire.  Shield is really going to need to step up their game soon.

Fitz and Simmons on a mission was great; especially with Mack as their back-up.  Loved how he automatically knew what was really going on when they turned their coms off, because Bobbi and Hunter pulled that on him all the time.  Simmons shooting SquidWard was great, even if it ended up amounting to nothing.  But them hooking-up means probably some very bad is going to happen to them, right? 

I don't even really care for Lincoln, but I felt bad for him when Coulson was like "Here!  Just wear this vest that can explode on my command."  No way would have have done that to any other Inhuman; especially Daisy.  Glad Melinda called him out on his shit, although I doubt he will change, even if he admitted it was true.

Always enjoy Talbot, even when he's just on a TV monitor.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Senna said:

Is it just me, or does SquidWard's accent jump around?  There's something really off about the way he talks that I find artificial and distracting.

Like (many) others, I appreciated May calling out Coulson's dirty hands.  Yeah, just a little bit of hypocrisy there, giving Lincoln a murder vest (I kind of liked Lincoln and his snarkiness this episode) while you're off to save Damsel-in-Distress Daisy from the same affliction ...

I hate that they keep popping up that flash-forward ~shocking death~ scene.  Why do shows/promo monkeys love to call attention to character death?  I really would rather not think about it (because it makes me worried -- it better not be Mack!).

I'm pretty sure he changes it when he is channeling different characters. When he was talking with Simmons he was imitating Will's accent and speech patterns. When around Daisy he's channeling Ward. He did Malick's brother. And then he's just Hive at other times.

Do we know for sure somebody is going to die? Like, have the marketing team or show runners announced that or is it just in-show speculation?

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, ae2 said:

Do we know for sure somebody is going to die? Like, have the marketing team or show runners announced that or is it just in-show speculation?

The marketing team is heavily promoting that someone in S.H.I.E.L.D. will die, and Clark Gregg said in an interview that it's a cast member who has been around for a while. Choe Bennet also said that it was "heartbreaking."

Of course, the heartbreaking loss could be Brett Dalton, who certainly has been around since the beginning, but it's hard to see how his character can keep going on. And then the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who dies could be a fake out kill.

11 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

They did something at the beginning that pushed one of my buttons. Lincoln jump-started the base's power with his magic electricity. 1) Don't they have any electrical engineers on site? 2) Zapping the junction box would be much more liable to trip the breakers in the real world rather than fix things.

This sort of attempt to exhibit mundane utility never fails to bug me.

Yeah that's how I felt about when Daisy restarts his heart with a combination of their powers. You can't shock someone who is already dead. That's completely pointless.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 2

Well, a character can 'die' but still stay around. Deprived of oxygen, like Fitz, or their heart stops. So Daisy, for example, could 'die' on the quinjet, possibly to remove Hive's influence from her, then be brought back by Lincoln's magic hands. 

Edited by KirkB

I love HiveWard but collecting a team of Inhumans felt a little too much reminiscent of Cal collecting super powered individuals last season...my opinion of course...

...I still LOVED the episode though, one of the strongest yet.

I am really enjoying seeing Drath/Dark/Evil Daisy and I have to admit that Lincoln got a little better. Although,  Drath/Dark/Evil Daisy is now my favourite character from this season. Yeah, I know that this won't last and only a few episodes ago, she was still just regular Daisy but the fact that she seems to be in control of herself but at the same time having a strong desire to appease SquidWard is actually great to see. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

From the recap:

I feel like I should mention that Fitz took a weirdly long time to get back to the room. He might be Hive or something, because no one on this show gets to be happy for long.

Unless Fitz (or Simmons for that matter) are secretly Inhuman, they can't be infected only killed and absorbed.  I don't think either is Inhuman though.

23 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

From the recap:

Unless Fitz (or Simmons for that matter) are secretly Inhuman, they can't be infected only killed and absorbed.  I don't think either is Inhuman though.

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one of them secretly got terrigen-misted and then hived. There's got to be SOME drama on this show, after all. . . :)

2 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that one of them secretly got terrigen-misted and then hived. There's got to be SOME drama on this show, after all. . . :)

Possibly, but it doesn't seem likely.  SquidWard could have infected Jenna but obviously didn't and Daisy made no effort to bring Fitz back to the Collective.

On 4/28/2016 at 2:30 PM, Raja said:

Just like "geneticist" are carrying around cybernetic eyes and the set up is that Simmons will attempt surgery on the spot. Or besides being a theoretical physicist Fritz seems to be a top engineer and biomedical engineer The doctor of all science character trope has been around as long as TV has had limited cast 

Consider it a blessing that they didn't make all the 'science people' Asian who secretly know kung fu.

On 4/28/2016 at 2:30 PM, Raja said:

Or besides being a theoretical physicist Fritz seems to be a top engineer and biomedical engineer The doctor of all science character trope has been around as long as TV has had limited cast 

I just saw this, but isn't Fitz supposed to be some kind of super engineer than a theoretical physicist?

(edited)
11 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

I just saw this, but isn't Fitz supposed to be some kind of super engineer than a theoretical physicist?

I would have to buy season sets to know for sure but I remember when doing science guy routine he was telling Coulson, I think it was, that it was okay you're not a theoretical physicist so you were not expected to be able to do what he and Simmons were able to. An engineer would seem to be more of use for an active field team than a theoretician who might be more of use on a recon team. But then in a SG-1 type set up Coulson's team was initially a small recon team before Big SHIELD was called in. It was after the Hydra v SHIELD civil war that Coulson and his survivors became Big SHIELD as the rest went away to Hydra or were absorbed by others like Maria Hill into Stark/Avengers or Agent 13 into the American CIA.

Edited by Raja

In Marvel, science minded people are rarely limited to a particular field, even if they specialize in one. Tony Stark, for example, knows computers and engineering, chemistry, physics, etc. Bruce Banner is the worlds leading authority on radiation and biochemistry but can also help design artificial intelligences. So Fitz could be an engineer but also know a little of everything else. Jemma may be a medical doctor but probably has PhD's in a dozen different fields.

I think Simmons actually has two PhD's (presumably one in biochemistry) but not an MD. She's had to gradually take on more of a medical doctor role, after Daisy was shot in season 1 and then once they had more limited resources in season 2.

If Simmons was an MD then she would have to do a medical residency (currently, I have a cousin who is doing his and he has to do his for years before he can become a fully licenced doctor), at a hospital. I know that in Marvel and in just about every other sci-fi show scientists seems to be qualified in every scientific  field (does anyone remember the last season of Falling Skies where they find a chemist that use to worked at a brewery- according to the actual character and he somehow was able to bioengineer some kind of alien weapon, IMO, it's kind of like that. In real life that guy wouldn't be qualified to do that kind of work), and also are super scientists, but I always thought that the MCU was supposed to be more grounded in reality. 

8 hours ago, Raja said:

I would have to buy season sets to know for sure but I remember when doing science guy routine he was telling Coulson, I think it was, that it was okay you're not a theoretical physicist so you were not expected to be able to do what he and Simmons were able to. An engineer would seem to be more of use for an active field team than a theoretician who might be more of use on a recon team. But then in a SG-1 type set up Coulson's team was initially a small recon team before Big SHIELD was called in. It was after the Hydra v SHIELD civil war that Coulson and his survivors became Big SHIELD as the rest went away to Hydra or were absorbed by others like Maria Hill into Stark/Avengers or Agent 13 into the American CIA.

The reason why I asked was because I always remember him being the Team's go-to tech guy/Mr. Fixit. 

Finally got around to watching this episode. I liked it. I'm glad that Fitz and Simmons got together, I just hope that they both make it...
 and get to just be happy. As for Fitz taking a while, I think he grabbed all the stuff in the lab. I hope that is all.

I agree that Couson is being really hypicritical. It's okay to want to save Daisy (as she is a shield agent being controlled). But he had no good reason to treat Lincoln like that. His life isn't any different the Daisy. I was glad when May at least tried to tell him off about that.

I think it's a real shame that TPTB seem to want to keep their enemies down to one: now that our main threat is coming from SquidWard, HYDRA are being eliminated (offscreen!), in the same way that Rising Tide turned out t be another offshoot of HYDRA. Is it really so much to cope with having TWO enemies instead of one?

Also, if the Transhumanists were all about improving on what nature gave them, how come there was NO resistance to SquidWard's attack? You'd think that even if they were overwhelmed there'd be some resistance (and if it's a budget thing, show it from FitzSimmonds POV, where we hear a lot off offscreen Zap! Pow! Bang! but without all the Budget Busting explosions and CGI). But apparently even being heavily armed doesn't actually help unless you're main characters, so SquidWard faced no resistance.

benteen I definitely enjoyed May calling Coulson out on his shit

mac123x   "Don't hurt Daisy, who is already infected by Hive and under his control!  But if there's the slightest sign that Lincoln is being controlled, smear him over the sidewalk with this explosive vest."  Lincoln should have punched him in the groin.

I didn't think Coulson was actually that unreasonable to Lincoln - he didn't want to send him at all, but would only allow him to go if he could be sure he wasn't turned to the enemy side. What WASN'T reasonable was going "Lincoln - kill the guy if he shows the slightest hint of turning. Skye - she has to be saved at all costs!" Glad everyone else told him he was being a complete hypocrite.

Jack Kerouac why DID Fitz take so long to get back to the hotel?

He's a gentleman! He had to shower, shave, brush his teeth, check he was wearing clean underwear and pick up condoms before any sexy times with Gemma!

• Love 1

I'm about two weeks behind, because I have to wait until the episodes appear on ABC's website (general access). I just wanted to make my prediction that FitzSimmons has been stymied before the sexytimes because one of them is already Not As (S)he Seems by the time they rendezvous back at the hotel.

My guess is that there are now two Simmonses --- the real one with Mack, the fake with Fitz. Not sure exactly how she's fake --- the cold hands are a clue --- possibly an artificial life form like the doctor's assistant.

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 11:54 AM, blackwing said:

So Hive now has Daisy, Redheaded Multiple Girl and now this new Bomber on his side.  In addition to his/its own formidable powers.  Seems like Coulson needs more superpowered assistance.  He only has Lincoln full time since they appear to have dropped Joey and Yo-Yo back home.   This Hive threat is huge, why doesn't he contemplate calling in the Avengers?  I know they would never show up given the show's budget constraints, but at least show a scene of him thinking about it.  Also, shouldn't Lincoln realise that a Terrigen tube is missing?  Why doesn't Coulson make more superpowered people of his own?  I know Mack was curious, and a superstrong Mack would be a welcome addition.  Or a telepathic Simmons

You know what would be really helpful in times like these when your secret base has been compromised? The damn SHIELD helicarrier from Age of Ultron! Seriously where is that thing?

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎27 at 0:28 PM, VCRTracking said:

Okay Coulson's energy shield was awesome.

I wasn't a fan. Didn't Cap have a similar shield back in the 90's?

Also if a couple of hand gun bullets slow Hive down a little bit, has anyone considered a really big bomb?

24 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

You know what would be really helpful in times like these when your secret base has been compromised? The damn SHIELD helicarrier from Age of Ultron! Seriously where is that thing?

I figured it didn't belong to SHIELD anymore Maria Hill works for Stark thus the Avengers. The question becomes with everybody so concerned with Coulson's rise from the dead what about Fury to the rest of the world