Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Girls Hit the Road

• Start Topic

Watching this is on my to-do list for tonight. Just reading a few comments though, I'm going to give Anna a pass but with a lot of side eye. She probably wants another undereducated, stunted girl (I'm looking at you, Joy) to follow in her ill advised footsteps. She needs this in order to validate her own life choices. It's pathetic and sad but she's stuck and misery loves company.

Edited by FakeJoshDuggar
  • Love 15

I was flummoxed by all the windows in the playhouse. Lots of opportunities for broken glass if play gets rowdy. Good luck, kids!

My first thought was four walls of floor-to-ceiling windows = no privacy.  Eyes on them at all times.

• Love 13

I'm thinking that we're going to get a courting announcement in the next week or two. There were too many side eyes and glances during the talking heads about being in a courtship.

Nah. JB was probably right off-camera coaching that for cliffhanger suspense.

I really don't consider what the girls were wearing as heels.  They're chunky wedges, right? 

I was expecting F***MeBaby heels for all their talk. Those were 1975 Teacher Wedges.

Restaurant scene:  They cannot possibly be this stupid.

Next episode: Chicken of the Sea discussion, with Bin playing the Jessica Simpson role.

Does Joy even know that the most uncomfortable item of clothing on earth is a stiff denim skirt with a non-forgiving waistband? 

• Love 8

1.367 million viewers. Forgot the share; I think it was. 42.

eta: Isn't this another slight gain from last week? For this shit???? REALLY?????

Jill's new botched birth might shake things up a bit.

My first thought was four walls of floor-to-ceiling windows = no privacy. Eyes on them at all times.

Good point. I forgot - this is the family with a catwalk instead of a hallway, so there can never, ever be any secret travels among bedrooms.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5

What got to me was that the pastured poultry was specifically Amish pastured poultry because now I've got this image in my head of a bunch of ducks walking around in little hats and beards, refusing to be butchered by any modern means.

Does poultry taste better if it was raised Amish?

That said, count me in among those who don't have a problem believing that the Duggars would be confused by this menu. I remember when they went to England and had a meal in a traditional English restaurant/pub and they were so very confused by the food and drink. Which was just stupid because 1) British food isn't all that exotic to begin with and 2) hello, you are homeschoolers going on a world trip, why haven't you discussed beforehand what people eat in the countries you'll be visiting?!

It probably didn't occur to them that the entire world doesn't eat "American" food. They have made asses of themselves acting like the country bumpkins they truly are over anything unfamiliar. Especially boob and crazy eyes mechelle. These kids never stood a chance.

Having said that, the adult "children" don't have to live the bumpkin life anymore. Will the change be hard? Sure. If, however, this is how they want to live their life so be it.

It's past time to shit or get off the pot. Their ignorance stopped being interesting a long time ago. If the unmarried girls allow themselves to be sold in to a marriage because daddy said so it's not just sad. They are all of legal age. Is this what you want for your one and only life? If you do, fine. Just stop yapping about it and pressuring your siblings to do the same thing. Famewhoring is a life goal that rarely works out.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 9

The Girls Getaway was so beyond ridiculous that it could have been a SNL snark on the Duggars. Anna was crazy with her courtship yadayada. She should be the last person on earth to even recommend marriage after what she is walking through!

I am 59 and I've never massaged my sisters' or any sisters-in-law feet and legs. We are not a touchy feely family and neither are the Duggars. TLC scripted.

But, I just have to say, Anna's legs looked like my 85 Yo mother-in-law's legs: too white and too soft with NO muscle definition at all.

• Love 5

TLC must not be springing for the freebies anymore. The girls didn't even get to go to a real spa. Or a strip mall nail salon for that matter.

I also didn't understand the purpose of the white bathrobes when all the girls were fully clothed underneath.

• Love 5

TLC must not be springing for the freebies anymore. The girls didn't even get to go to a real spa. Or a strip mall nail salon for that matter.

I also didn't understand the purpose of the white bathrobes when all the girls were fully clothed underneath.

Cuz they were playing spa. You gotta dress the part.

• Love 11

Jill's driving each day to Wal-Mart HQ so that she can sit in the car with Derek and baby-bird him his lunch has turned Jana off to white-collar husbands.

Lol, is this the "if he's an outdoor worker there's some chance I won't be able to lo-jack him" principle?

What is with TLC and forcing people who are afraid of heights to face their fears? They do it on almost every show. Michelle and skydiving. Something with Ben in Paris. The conjoined twin show where it was two heads one body. One of those twins was afraid of heights so they pushed her and her sister to go out on the glass floor at the Sears tower. Every single TLC show, I swear.

I think it's because they think they'll get some more untutored, scandalous talking heads from folks hopped up on adrenaline.

• Love 2

Anyone have patience and handy with a stopwatch? I would love to know the actual minutes of non-repeated scenes. The pre & post commercial stuff not included.

We've seen the Anna/Joy clip a number of times already and I bet we'll see it a few more times during the show, before it actually is a scene. TLC does this with the Little Couple as well. I guess a benefit of DVRs is watching it later and fasting forwarding through it.

I can't imagine having the patience to watch without it being DVRed! It does seem to be close to half TLC promos and endless "Coming Ups" and THs recapping what's going on.

Notice how there was nothing in that treehouse than the all-important play kitchen! I like how the show makes it look as if the Duggar kids know the ins & outs of construction on that level. TLC, who do you think you're fooling with this crappola? I guess the children need an accountability partner just to go in there.

Considering how elaborate it is, I think the reality kind of fell flat for the kids. It was hilarious that Mackenzie said "I thought it would be way bigger." It looks huge, but that's mostly the enormous walkway. They may have the most fun with that part, though. And yes, they would have been lost without the help of their "friend," just like they were with the TTH construction.

I'm assuming this was the moment for the 2nd wave of J'Slaves - aka the Lost Girls - to step up and prove that mommy and daddy can love them by taking all of their responsibilities. 

Yep. The only salvation for the second wave of J'Slaves is that they'll only be responsible for household chores. No homefooling and child care for them, although that may change if they get rented out to Jessa in a few years.

• Love 3

Judging from this episode I'm not sure Joy and Jinger have any interest in getting married. Jana, yes, I think she wants it on her own terms but Joy and Jinger can't seem to work up much enthusiasm.

I really do wonder what would happen if one of them plain old said, "I don't want to get married." I feel like heads would explode and they would be told they were in rebellion against god's plan, even though the bible does in fact encourage singleness, as someone was pointing out recently. Joy, especially, I feel has no interest whatsoever in marriage. Of course there's always the point that's often been made, that statistically one or more of them may be gay, or for that matter asexual. Not that nearly every straight person ends up married anyway. It's just so unfortunate that it's the only thing they ever seem to focus on. Joy is bright and fun and I wish she were free to pursue anything.

I felt like Anna was trying to convince herself as much as anyone that marriage is the be all to end all.

I'm a foodie and even I was unsure of a few of those words someone posted from the menu. It all looked delicious, though! So yes, no acting required for them to seem genuinely flummoxed by the menu.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 7

It's awkward to have Anna discussing marriage, courtship and babies constantly because we ALL know the disgusting vile pig she is married to. She could be on that TV show "Who the --- Did I marry?" Now THAT would get ratings.

If anyone had any sense at all, they would have Anna discuss anything besides marriage, babies and courtship. Even just talk about the M kids, that would be an improvement. Anna looks very unstable with the marriage cheerleading. The viewer is sitting wondering if Anna is in denial or just doesn't understand how vile Josh is or she is just purposely ignoring the obvious for money or did jim Bob threaten her?

Hey Joyanna, do the oppositie of whatever Anna suggests. Trust us. She is in desperate need of a counselor and she shouldn't be counseling you. Just run, Joy.

• Love 12

First time poster here, long time reader both here and the old TWOP. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's comments here, you all are a great bunch of people. I've also learned a lot from here which is great because the Duggars/Quiverfull/etc are so fascinating to me.

Anyways, I agree with everything already said, but wanted to chime in to see if anyone else fell for the 'blind dates' tease and were duped like I was. There were so many replays of the sneak peak scene at the fancy dinner of Jessa (I think. Anna has indeed morphed into a Duggar girl clone, half the time I can't tell her apart anymore) saying, your blind dates should be here any minute. And then when they were talking about it when getting ready for dinner it also seemed like it wasn't a joke.

I know in the talking heads they said well, Jinger wouldn't give us any names/phone numbers. But it seemed to me like such a likely scenario I totally fell for it and so was confused when no blind dates showed, then mad that it hooked me in and tricked me with a now obvious ploy for viewers!

Sorry to be so run on! Been a while since I posted on any kind of forum.

• Love 6

They are teasing hard that there is a courtship in the works, but I don't buy it. They really need a courtship to keep this thing afloat, so they want us to believe that one is just around the corner.

At least three courtships appeared to have failed to get off the ground in the past year: Josiah and Marjorie, Joe and some unnamed Bates girl, and Jinger and Lawson. I don't think anyone is courting, and I don't think that there will be a big reveal at the end of the season. I think that one of the reasons that Anna kept saying over and over and over again that one could start at any time is that no one is "courting" and there are no prospects on the horizon.

• Love 4

FWIW, there's not a doubt in my mind that Josh has seen the new baby. I believe that Josh, Anna and their kids have been back and forth between the main house, Jessa's home, and Josh and Anna's place, too. The family socialization is back to as it was, imo.

Imo, there is no way the public "shunning" of Josh will continue because he isn't really being privately shunned at all. Anna is playing a specific role in this series in her many mentions of Josh, courtship, marriage, pregnancy, motherhood, kids. It's really The Rehabilitation of Josh show, so that the audience can slowly acclimate to the idea of the return of the Original, including JB and Michelle. Even if one of the older girls does announce a courtship, they will still only play a supporting role.

And while I do believe that there's plenty of family resentment toward Josh for singlehandedly mucking up the gravy train, I actually don't think the molestations or infidelities take up too much space in the Duggar women's heads. The sexual abuse was covered up and tapped down a long time ago. The victims were taught that they defrauded Josh, and they were to blame. Their guilt has been encased in blocks of cement since the abuse happened. All those outrageous failsafes put in place at home were the girls' fault, not Josh's. The girls believe that.

Meanwhile, Anna has been counseled that if it weren't for her failings, Josh would never have betrayed their marriage. She believes in her culpability, and her starring role in this series is her penance and responsibility.

These aren't normal people. Their thinking is skewed. The BigDog Duggars are megalomaniac narcissistics. They are NOT going to stay in the background for much longer. They are NOT going to allow daughters and SONS-in-LAW to take center stage forever. Forget about the televised phoniness of fine dining or "building" see-through tree houses. All that stuff is just TLC and Duggardom's way of Biding Our Time.

And, seriously, those steady Neilsen numbers show a faithful, unyielding fan base that will NEVER go away. Add Josh's return, then JB and Michelle, and their rebirth may be stronger than ever.

Jmo, and I wish it weren't so.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 16

Jana was quiet specific regarding her choice of gallant knight. Does that mean he's real? Or are there more than one and she is making a decision.  Is Jinger avoiding pinning the details down on her preferences because she has one and doesn't want to provide too much info for the internet sleuths? Or does she really want to hear what her sisters and sister-in-law feel would suit her? Leave Joy alone. Buy her some pants

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 3

Jinger admitted that her default response to the courting question is "wait and see." Where do y'all think she learned that?

And no, I didn't bat an eyelash with the stupid blind date crap. It was the female version of the Duggar Practical Joke. The editing was so bad that Joy looked like she had been laughing hysterically, not horrified at the prospect of meeting some guy vetted by her married sister and SIL.

The more I think about it (WHY?), I am not so muc irritated about them being flummoxed by the menu, but more by their lack of actual interest or curiosity about the options before them. Was it Joy who basically went EW, I don't want Demi-glacé - until the waiter explained what it was? They could have pulled out their phones for some surreptitious definitions. But no. Poor things, they are in a fine position, thanks to TLC, to have some exciting experiences but they usually seem so scared and awkward. And I suppose that if you believe that every sin has equal weight, then everyone you encounter outside your belief system might as well be a rapist or murderer. So you remain in your terrified little bubble and shy away from most of GOD'S CREATION. Which to me is a kind of sin in itself.

I was HOPING the blind date thing was real, as I was dying to see what kind of guy Jessa or Anna would find suitable.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 10

The victims were taught that they defrauded Josh, and they were to blame. Their guilt has been encased in blocks of cement since the abuse happened. All those outrageous failsafes put in place at home were the girls' fault, not Josh's. The girls believe that.

Meanwhile, Anna has been counseled that if it weren't for her failings, Josh would never have betrayed their marriage. She believes in her culpability, and her starring role in this series is her penance and responsibility.

I know there is that horrific Gothard literature that talked about little girls defrauding their brother by running around naked after a bath, and by him changing their diapers. It was enough to turn the stomach of any decent human being. I'm not so sure, though, that for all their massive failings, Jim Bob and Michelle told the girls they defrauded Josh. They were asleep in their nightgowns. Did they deprive their children of real counseling? Oh yes. Did they attempt to sweep it under the rug as Josh continued to molest, never calling the police or removing him from the home? Yes. Terrible enough in any case.

I suspect you're right about Anna, though. These people are big on formulas: Follow the formula, and like a math equation, you always get the right result. In their world, a submissive wife who keeps sweet and keeps herself pretty and joyfully available will never, ever have a straying husband. Gothard is the one who loves these formulas and they are so harmful. Did anyone else catch it when Jinger suggested making s'mores in the car on the way to Branson, that Anna said, "That's not in my diet plan." I hate that she thinks an extra couple of pounds could drive her husband to cheat. Doesn't that mean she should be cheating, by rights? Oh, that's right. In Gothard/Duggar world, women aren't physically attracted to men so men's looks don't matter.

• Love 3

This was pretty much the (wannabe) Real Housewives of Duggarville. They just sat around and talked like the Bravo shows. I guess the boys can't be trusted to have a guys' weekend.

I'm thinking that we're going to get a courting announcement in the next week or two. There were too many side eyes and glances during the talking heads about being in a courtship.

They need to have a boy-girl set of twins courting simultaneously with a double wedding. 

What got to me was that the pastured poultry was specifically Amish pastured poultry because now I've got this image in my head of a bunch of ducks walking around in little hats and beards, refusing to be butchered by any modern means.

Does poultry taste better if it was raised Amish?

That said, count me in among those who don't have a problem believing that the Duggars would be confused by this menu. I remember when they went to England and had a meal in a traditional English restaurant/pub and they were so very confused by the food and drink. Which was just stupid because 1) British food isn't all that exotic to begin with and 2) hello, you are homeschoolers going on a world trip, why haven't you discussed beforehand what people eat in the countries you'll be visiting?!

Jana and the "bongers and mash"! I remember that.

This hasn't aired on the west coast yet (mercifully), but could this statement have been interpreted to mean that she prefers SKIRTS? I can see them differentiating like that. 

I believe Joy prefers skirts because a two piece outfit fits you a lot differently than a one-piece/dress.  Joy obviously doesn't have the standard 'duggar' body, she's a bit curvier, has some more weight and while she's slim down a bit as she matures I think it's pretty safe to say that she's not comfortable with her body at all.  She wears loose fitting tops.   I have the same mentality.  Cardigans are my best friend lol 

Can we take up a collection to send Joy some jeans and yoga pants?

They already have yoga pants and leggings.  They wear them a lot under their skirts. 

Based on this episode I think Jana and Jinger are in courtships

I don't think they're in courtships but I DO think Jinger and Joy have their eyes on someone.  Jana, not so much. 

We've heard repeatedly that Joy will not say if she's interested in someone so I believe she's at least speaking to someone privately (somehow).  If she wasn't into someone then she could easily say "there's no one i'm interested in" but she's basically pleading the fifth. 

However they do look and point at Jana a lot when courtship gets brought up during their talking heads.  But that may just be by default since she's the next oldest and should be the next to go.

• Love 1

One of them has to be courting. Jana and Jinger get the most whispers and side eyes from the other girls and there's been a lot of anvils dropped about "two girls" possibly courting. We'll probably find out one or both of them next season, depending who is closer to an engagement. I don't think anyone wants another Josiah/Marjorie situation.

I really don't think we'll see another season without a courtship/wedding/pregnancy. The family really couldn't carry this season on their own.

• Love 2

I don't think they're in courtships but I DO think Jinger and Joy have their eyes on someone.  Jana, not so much. 

We've heard repeatedly that Joy will not say if she's interested in someone so I believe she's at least speaking to someone privately (somehow).  If she wasn't into someone then she could easily say "there's no one i'm interested in" but she's basically pleading the fifth. 

However they do look and point at Jana a lot when courtship gets brought up during their talking heads.  But that may just be by default since she's the next oldest and should be the next to go.

Is this not something that would be discussed among the girl on a get a way weekend....whose interested in who & what not. Or are they not at liberty to have those types of conversations? They act like a bunch of 7th grade girls...smh.

• Love 3

Is this not something that would be discussed among the girl on a get a way weekend....whose interested in who & what not. Or are they not at liberty to have those types of conversations? They act like a bunch of 7th grade girls...smh.

I would think the sisters know who each other is interested in. The viewers are getting the Dim Bulb approved narrative. What we saw was the girls' acting ability, which we know is zero. The Duggars really can't have another failed public courtship right now so TLC and the family are probably waiting for rings on fingers.

• Love 2

I would think the sisters know who each other is interested in. The viewers are getting the Dim Bulb approved narrative. What we saw was the girls' acting ability, which we know is zero. The Duggars really can't have another failed public courtship right now so TLC and the family are probably waiting for rings on fingers.

Exactly - if they are each other's best friends... then they know who likes who and who is interested in who.  Those are the things you tell your best friends!!  It doesn't make any sense that they would keep that info secret from each other.

I believe Joy prefers skirts because a two piece outfit fits you a lot differently than a one-piece/dress. Joy obviously doesn't have the standard 'duggar' body, she's a bit curvier, has some more weight and while she's slim down a bit as she matures I think it's pretty safe to say that she's not comfortable with her body at all.

I agree. I have a friend who's curvy and she has to buy all her dresses a size up and have them tailored down. When you have boobage it's hard to find dresses that fit well in that area. It's probably more comfortable for Joy to wear separates. I've always worried that the Duggars would pressure her to lose weight. She has a beautiful healthy figure but Gothard likes his women stick thin. They made poor Jana go to Weight Watchers for a couple of extra pounds of baby chub, ffs. Hopefully Mechelle is so tuned out by this point that she can't be bothered.

• Love 5

I am pretty sure the draw is Anna. People tune in for train wrecks.

Lulz! I wonder if people are waiting for Anna to go all "Serenity now" and start trashing the shit out of the TTH. You can tell she's really struggling to keep sweet.

• Love 5

I don't know if this question is okay, but did anyone else find Joy coming off as a little "butch"?

Joy apparently enjoyed being a "tomboy" until she reached the age where she had to be reeducated and forced into the kitchen, etc. I like that she still protests this and seems proud of being different, and I hope in time she will actually rebel enough to proudly be the person she really is.

I know this isn't exactly what you're asking. If you are correct, I pray she finds the strength to live an authentic life among people who appreciate and love her.

• Love 10

O.k. I just noticed "Amish poultry" is one of the entrées on the Chateau Grille menu. ???? Is that some kind of weird Amish hybrid of chicken, turkey and pigeon?

Maybe it's their way of saying organic. They probably bought their chickens from an Amish farmer.

Saw the end of this.......those "Girls Night Out to a Fancy Restaurant" get-ups......the cardigans over  round-neck dresses, the brown wedge-heel sandals, the curly-twirly hair......had to LOL...it was all teacher-got-up-late wear at it's very best. Was this clubbing, Fundy-style?

Anna is still all hung up on courtships, marriages, babies, huh?

They are so incredibly boring. And I watched for about 3 minutes!

I didn't watch and thought I had nothing to say but "clubbing Fundy style" - LOL!!!  Thanks for that.

• Love 1

I got less than ten minutes in and was annoyed. Why were ma and pa Duggar on television? Methinks the "tree house" is going to be turned into a "guesthouse" for the next courting mate. No one liked Bin so he got the shed located over the nastiest toilet I've ever seen in all of my born days.

Edited by FakeJoshDuggar
  • Love 1

I got less than ten minutes in and was annoyed. Why were ma and pa Duggar on television? Methinks the "tree house" is going to be turned into a "guesthouse" for the next courting mate. No one liked Bin so he got the shed located over the nastiest toilet I've ever seen in all of my born days.

I say they're gonna put mirror tint on all of those windows, so you can't see out from inside, and make Josh live in there.
  • Love 1

O.k. I just noticed "Amish poultry" is one of the entrées on the Chateau Grille menu. ???? Is that some kind of weird Amish hybrid of chicken, turkey and pigeon?

Amish poultry is raised without antibiotics and the birds are not raised in cages.  

• Love 2

Those A-line dress / cardigan / twirl curl  get-ups are even worse from behind. (in pic up there ^^^^^) No wonder Joy wants nothing to do with any of it. Smart(er) J'Slave, that one.

And why is a  MadMen-era flight attendant giving them seating instructions?

Repeat after me: There is NO courting going on. No potential. No anything. It's all a big JB ratings tease-fest.

• Love 5