Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Girls Hit the Road

• Start Topic

So they drove two hours away so they can sit around talking babies and future husbands?? Didn't they do that last week when they were home?? I can't wait for next week when they go half way around the world so they can sit around and talk about babies and future husbands!!Yeah!!

• Love 21

This was pretty much the (wannabe) Real Housewives of Duggarville. They just sat around and talked like the Bravo shows. I guess the boys can't be trusted to have a guys' weekend.

I'm thinking that we're going to get a courting announcement in the next week or two. There were too many side eyes and glances during the talking heads about being in a courtship.

• Love 9

You should have taken your own advice, Anna: tall, dark and handsome. Actually, it's not too late.

I'm surprised she didn't suggest the girls have a pillow fight during their weekend. That seems to be where her mental maturity is currently at.

I'm so glad others mentioned not liking her this episode. I felt the same way. She seems like she has had more Kool-aid than all the Duggar girls combined. A sad soul, really.

Jana really is a beautiful girl. When they were doing their in-home spa (seriously, go to a salon! Splurge **or should I say 'Spurge** a bit) and her hair was staight? Simply gorgeous!

Jill said Derick killed a spider in 'her' room. I found that odd. Wouldn't it have been 'their' room?

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 10

This was pretty much the (wannabe) Real Housewives of Duggarville. They just sat around and talked like the Bravo shows. I guess the boys can't be trusted to have a guys' weekend.

I'm thinking that we're going to get a courting announcement in the next week or two. There were too many side eyes and glances during the talking heads about being in a courtship.

Who do you think is courting Jinger or Joy? Can't be Jana, right? Michelle would totally fume about an "All about Jana" episode.
  • Love 4

I checked out the menu at that restaurant. I call complete bullshit on them not being able to understand the menu. Check it out and see what you think: Chateau on the Lake, Chateau Grille (restaurant name) in Branson, MO.

Though I'm convinced that the producers drive most of what happens on these shows, I'm not so sure that the Duggdummies weren't being honest when they said they couldn't understand that menu. Food items/menu words that Duggars probably don't know (or don't know the taste or meaning of and thus are scared crapless of):

Creole

Rosemary

Carnivore

Braised

Bison

Empanadas

Chipotle

Aioli

Glazed

Asian Slaw

Artisan

Chevre

Terrine

Crystalized

Brie

Coulis

Charcuterie

Cappicola

Hummus

Bisque

Dungeness

Spinach (just kidding, sort of)

Pancetta

Scallop

Caesar

Pesto

Aged Balsamic Reduction

Anchovy

Feta

Wilted

Bordelaise

Marinated

Whisky Seared

Parsnips

White Truffle Oil

Chutney

Portobello

Heirloom Tomatoes

Quinoa

Arugula

Gastrique

Brochette

Calamari,

Shallot

Sorghum

Faroe Island

Shaved Brussels Sprouts (a Bates daughter didn't recognize broccoli, we should remember)

Chilean

Risotto

Galette

Crème Brulee

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Anglaise

Decadent

Bananamisu

Mascarpone

Not to mention all the wines, of course.

And these people really can't read (and think cows live in cages), so I wouldn't be surprised if just this number of unfamiliar words and items, repeatedly popping up along with those heathen wine names, would be enough to confuse them.

They're scared of everything and when you hear them talk it's pretty clear that they're barely literate. I wouldn't be surprised if they did find that menu nervous-making and pretty impenetrable, really, strange as that seems at first glance. It'd be like a somewhat dim second grader trying to read that menu and pick a meal. When a lot of unknown words and concepts come up and you're not a competent reader, you can find yourself baffled by the whole thing, I think.

• Love 12

My impression was that Joy was ready to cut Anna if she didn't stop yammering about Joy getting married now that she is over 18. Seriously, Joy was like WTF???

And I wanted to say that you guys missed the all important use of Jill R's teasing comb ™ when the girls were getting ready to go to dinner.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 10

They're scared of everything and when you hear them talk it's pretty clear that they're barely literate. I wouldn't be surprised if they did find that menu nervous-making and pretty impenetrable, really, strange as that seems at first glance. It'd be like a somewhat dim second grader trying to read that menu and pick a meal. When a lot of unknown words and concepts come up and you're not a competent reader, you can find yourself baffled by the whole thing, I think.

I can relate to not understanding the menu.  We never went out to a restaurant when I was a kid.  Our home cooked meals were of the meat & potatoes variety.  BUT...these girls have had the opportunity to travel the world on TLC's dime.  They are so stuck in the group mentality that they can never attempt to try new things on a menu (or be curious enough to ask the waiter what they are).

• Love 11

I can relate to not understanding the menu.  We never went out to a restaurant when I was a kid.  Our home cooked meals were of the meat & potatoes variety.  BUT...these girls have had the opportunity to travel the world on TLC's dime.  They are so stuck in the group mentality that they can never attempt to try new things on a menu (or be curious enough to ask the waiter what they are).

The thing is, though, they were schooled not to take any advantage of those opportunities that TLC gave them, since the mob they traveled with, including their parents, provided complete cover for simply refusing to participate in any unaccustomed experience or eat anything but chips from the hotel vending machine. Plus, I'm sure they're scared of the waiters, too! And there's probably some rule about asking questions of strange men... Sad.

• Love 10

-Anna shut up. I swear if melancholy was visible Anna would be carrying around a dust-storm like pig pen. Go walk through some shit off camera. 

This is hilarious!  You made my morning with this.

Jill said Derick killed a spider in 'her' room. I found that odd. Wouldn't it have been 'their' room?

I thought this was odd as well until I remembered her grammar skills....

• Love 4

Based on this episode I think Jana and Jinger are in courtships

I took Jana's disdain for office workers as a total dig at Josh. I wouldn't want some grey faced sweaty cheating molester douche office worker either.

Anna is crazy, I'm sorry. How is it OK for her to lean on her husbands victims as a shoulder to cry on during this time? So messed up on so many levels. She needs real therapy. I feel bad for her but honey Josh will never put you first, he never has. He wants to be free .he should be and so should you. Please don't have any more kids with him. I hope he snuck out of rehab to get a vasectomy. 

And Seriously TLC, you couldn't freaking spring and send these poor J'slaves to a spa??? God knows they deserve it. 

I thought the cow thing was funny. But if that's all you have going for the show, your in trouble. Derrick again didn't seem to want anything to do with TLC. You go Derrick. 

• Love 10

I was actually surprised when I saw them talking about a spa. I thought there were actually going to one at the lodge and thought that seemed out of character (but in a good way) for them. Alas, it was a spa, Dugger-style.

The "fancy" dinner was quite depressing. When I've done Girls Night Out with my sisters or with my friends, we've had a great time--laughing, telling stories, etc. Of course, there was probably usually wine involved. And, yes, the topics could turn serious, but, in general, it was a fun time. This Girls Night Out seemed almost entirely devoid of joy (lowercase J). I guess the Beverly-Hillbillies-like inability to understand the menu was supposed to be amusing (although I didn't find it so).

Poor Jana. Poor Joy. Poor Jinger. Take a lesson from the cow. Break free from your "cage."

• Love 22

None of these girls even know the mechanics of having fun that isn't Gothard-approved. Which is to say they have never had fun. They are sad and pathetic and lost in the real world. Jbob and his sow have guaranteed these girls won't go far. And inability to have conversations just increases the odds that nobody else would want to talk to them either.

• Love 11

Poor Jackson, almost 12 & still being lumped with the Lost girls for the tree house reveal. I liked Joy or Jinger commenting she thought she felt the tree house floor was moving.

Once again, the Bates gals could have given the Duggar girls some fashion advice.

I would have liked them being shown having a real spa day. Oh Jessa, aren't you the fashionista by explaining to "go out of your comfort zone & pick a different polish than you usually wear."

I thought sure we would see them attending a show. Instead we got to see them go up in a tower (that didn't look too high) to conquer their height fears. I would have rather seen them shop in the Gift Shop.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4

Funny, I don't see any ravioli or scallopini on that menu. Unless I missed it.

I like the idea of cooking, not the actual cooking. So I watch cooking shows. That's how I learned about food. These girls never had the chance to see chefs making different types of food or use different ingredients.

This is just another example of home foolin' letting them down. You can learn how other people live from TV. Not every single TV show is sending secret satanic messages. I think it is ironic that people who never watched any TV have a TV show. No wonder they fall for every stupid idea tlc tells them would be really interesting and just plain swell.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 10

Too bad they didn't have Carlin or Tori with them.  That would have perked things up a bit!  I can't see any girl with personality fitting in with this crowd--imagine one of the boys bringing home a girl like Nathan's girlfriend, Ashley.  She would be suffocated by the atmosphere hanging over Duggarworld.

I can't imagine Joy is ready to court--looks like Jinger's turn to me.

• Love 5

Poor Jackson, almost 12 & still being lumped with the Lost girls for the tree house reveal. I liked Joy or Jinger commenting she thought she felt the tree house floor was moving.

Once again, the Bates gals could have given the Duggar girls some fashion advice.

I would have liked them being shown having a real spa day. Oh Jessa, aren't you the fashionista by explaining to "go out of your comfort zone & pick a different polish than you usually wear."

I thought sure we would see them attending a show. Instead we got to see them go up in a tower (that didn't look too high) to conquer their height fears. I would have rather seen them shop in the Gift Shop.

I felt embarrassed for Jackson. He ran out to be first into the "treehouse", yet it was obviously intended for little girls only. And I guess he can't film with Johannah anymore.

As for the tower, I can't believe that it was built in 1989. Was it originally built in East Germany circa 1970 and sold used to the denim man?

• Love 4

What is with TLC and forcing people who are afraid of heights to face their fears? They do it on almost every show. Michelle and skydiving. Something with Ben in Paris. The conjoined twin show where it was two heads one body. One of those twins was afraid of heights so they pushed her and her sister to go out on the glass floor at the Sears tower. Every single TLC show, I swear.

• Love 5

You should have taken your own advice, Anna: tall, dark and handsome. Actually, it's not too late.

I'm surprised she didn't suggest the girls have a pillow fight during their weekend. That seems to be where her mental maturity is currently at.

I'm so glad others mentioned not liking her this episode. I felt the same way. She seems like she has had more Kool-aid than all the Duggar girls combined. A sad soul, really.

Jana really is a beautiful girl. When they were doing their in-home spa (seriously, go to a salon! Splurge **or should I say 'Spurge** a bit) and her hair was staight? Simply gorgeous!

I thought the "my room" comment was strange, as well. It also pissed me off that she was whining about the dangerous tarantula while sitting in a nice house with a stainless steel refrigerator behind her, while there are children in CA who live in shacks w/o doors and windows. Bitch has got some nerve... Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 12

What is with TLC and forcing people who are afraid of heights to face their fears? They do it on almost every show. Michelle and skydiving. Something with Ben in Paris. The conjoined twin show where it was two heads one body. One of those twins was afraid of heights so they pushed her and her sister to go out on the glass floor at the Sears tower. Every single TLC show, I swear.

TLC brainiac genius in action.

• Love 5

If they are going to copy shit, do it right. Put wine in those glasses and keep filming. 

The whole episode was  fu internets. Jessa doing a pedicure for someone else. How, she's breastfeeding? They saved an animal? Really? Every time they see a cow on the road the stop to see if she has escaped her cage. Peta take note. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 4

Judging from this episode I'm not sure Joy and Jinger have any interest in getting married. Jana, yes, I think she wants it on her own terms but Joy and Jinger can't seem to work up much enthusiasm.

• Love 3

My impression was that Joy was ready to cut Anna if she didn't stop yammering about Joy getting married now that she is over 18. Seriously, Joy was like WTF???

And I wanted to say that you guys missed the all important use of Jill R's teasing comb ™ when the girls were getting ready to go to dinner.

Fuzzysox, can you explain the "all important use of ... teasing comb"? I don't know either.

I really don't consider what the girls were wearing as heels. They're chunky wedges, right? Not 'as' difficult to walk in. But seriously, they've 'walked through' so god damn much you'd think they'd be giving lessons by now.

I don't either. When they talked about wearing heels, I was expecting them to be in pumps, not wedge sandals.

The whole trip was just lame. There's nothing wrong with taking pride in being a wife and a mother, but seriously, do they ever have anything else to talk about? Current events, books, movies, politics, hobbies, dreams, fashion, sports, anything? They are the dullest people on the planet.

I also caught Jill's use of "my room." Even accounting for her lack of education, that was some odd phrasing.

Jackson looks like a six year old. Hannie, and Jennie both looked taller than him.

• Love 6

We already saw a few of them get pedicures before the done for the show shower.  I think they can go there as often as they want. 

No need to kill tarantulas.  They are easy to capture and release.  I'm a bit spider phobic and I've done it several times.  It's a lot less mess to just catch them than to squash them.

LOVE the girls bagging on the prairie frumpers, etc. and Joy saying they graduate to "kind of normal" clothes. Ha! Keep blooming, Duggars! Baby steps.

The boy/marriage/baby talk is indeed tedious. I want to believe they talk about other things off camera, but I don't know what it could be. The my have been so programmed to take one path through life. I wanted to scream when Jana said she didn't want a guy with an office job because then she'd be stuck home all day. And when Anna and Jessa were saying it was good that they were taking their trip now, before anyone else entered a courtship. Do they never get sick of not being trusted to go about life without being shackled, almost literally, to at least one other person.

In other news, tarantulas in the bedroom? No.

PS, ignorance isn't cute, ladies. Weird to see Americans being Ugly Americans in America.

• Love 9

Me thinks the comment Jana made about marrying a guy who gets his hands dirty was a dig at Derick and maybe Ben. You think she would have seen the writing on the wall while watching Ms. Jilly Cling a Giggly Ding a Long act when Derick *gasp* was working at Wal-Mart and Ben cleaning toilets for Daddy Dearest while he was courting Queen Jessa. Can these girls not survive five minutes without their husbands or future husbands by their side. Of course I do not blame her for holding out when it comes to getting married after seeing the men two of her sisters married, and lets not forget the good husband example aka Josh.

LMFAO - I just died!  How apt a description is that about Jilly Muffy?! 

I can't wait to see what the ratings were for this show.  Please be tanking - badly.

• Love 2

Ok I gotta take up for the tarantulas in the world. Spiders are our friends and tarantulas are not poisonous. Damn Derrick put a bowl over it and toss it outside. I grew up with tarantulas in Oklahoma and they are kinda cool. I won't touch though ew. And some people can be allergic to the hairs on their legs.

But another thought how GROSS that smear would be to clean up after Derrick smashed that spider. Makes me nauseated.

• Love 4

I wonder if the scene of Jessa massaging Anna's feet was meant to be Jesus-y?

Anna got a funny look on her face when Jessa was listing all the family members that the Spurgeinator hasn't met yet, but did not include Uncle Josh.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5

I read this as Jana is the one who is courting either Jinger or Joy.  Because really, would anyone be surprised?

It happens in a lot of families.

• Love 5

Fuzzysox, can you explain the "all important use of ... teasing comb"? I don't know either.

In the thread were we talk about the Rodriguez Family Aja mentioned she wanted to write a book about them. I commented that Aja could give away teasing combs at her book signing. *Jill is a hairdresser and she often uses a teasing comb to do her fabulous fundie 1980's hair*

Last night I noticed the girls were getting ready and teasing their hair with a comb ala Jill R. lol I couldn't stop laughing to myself. I know it's really silly but I thought you guys would have laughed too that the girls could have watched one of Jill's videos and how to achieve such beautiful hair. *giggle*

• Love 4

Ok I gotta take up for the tarantulas in the world. Spiders are our friends and tarantulas are not poisonous. Damn Derrick put a bowl over it and toss it outside. I grew up with tarantulas in Oklahoma and they are kinda cool. I won't touch though ew. And some people can be allergic to the hairs on their legs.

But another thought how GROSS that smear would be to clean up after Derrick smashed that spider. Makes me nauseated.

There are tarantulas and scorpions all over Arkansas.  Also, coyotes, mountain lions and wolves.  Jill acts like she has never been outside before.

• Love 3

In the Duggars' defense (here I go again!), I hate those kinds of menus on the rare occasions I come across them. I found it extremely pretentious. I had to read each item twice to figure out what the dish actually was. For example:

Pan Roasted Amish Pastured Poultry with Wild Boar Bacon Sweet Potato Hash, Black Pepper, White Truffle Oil

WTF is "pastured poultry"? I'm assuming it's free-range chicken, which if I'm correct, why couldn't they just say that?  And I have no clue why a snail is their icon for locally grown and/or sustainable food. My first impression if I see a snail by an item is to assume that it might take longer than average to prepare, which I think is much more logical.

I think the girls would have been happier at Applebee's or Cracker Barrel. And probably gotten more for their money.

• Love 14

In the Duggars' defense (here I go again!), I hate those kinds of menus on the rare occasions I come across them. I found it extremely pretentious. I had to read each item twice to figure out what the dish actually was. For example:

WTF is "pastured poultry"? I'm assuming it's free-range chicken, which if I'm correct, why couldn't they just say that? And I have no clue why a snail is their icon for locally grown and/or sustainable food. My first impression if I see a snail by an item is to assume that it might take longer than average to prepare, which I think is much more logical.

I think the girls would have been happier at Applebee's or Cracker Barrel. And probably gotten more for their money.

I'm confused by "artisanal mushrooms". Did hipsters conjure the mushrooms up? How can a mushroom be artisanal?
  • Love 6

"Pastured Poultry" yea they were just going for the alliteration there. But the Duggar girls probably want to eat "caged cow". That's what they were looking for on the menu.

They are really dumb but none of them are blonde. Go figure.

(Full disclosure- blonde here my own self and I've heard it a lot)

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 3

Though I'm convinced that the producers drive most of what happens on these shows, I'm not so sure that the Duggdummies weren't being honest when they said they couldn't understand that menu. Food items/menu words that Duggars probably don't know (or don't know the taste or meaning of and thus are scared crapless of):

Creole

Rosemary

Carnivore

Braised

Bison

Empanadas

Chipotle

Aioli

Glazed

Asian Slaw

Artisan

Chevre

Terrine

Crystalized

Brie

Coulis

Charcuterie

Cappicola

Hummus

Bisque

Dungeness

Spinach (just kidding, sort of)

Pancetta

Scallop

Caesar

Pesto

Aged Balsamic Reduction

Anchovy

Feta

Wilted

Bordelaise

Marinated

Whisky Seared

Parsnips

White Truffle Oil

Chutney

Portobello

Heirloom Tomatoes

Quinoa

Arugula

Gastrique

Brochette

Calamari,

Shallot

Sorghum

Faroe Island

Shaved Brussels Sprouts (a Bates daughter didn't recognize broccoli, we should remember)

Chilean

Risotto

Galette

Crème Brulee

Grand Marnier Soufflé

Anglaise

Decadent

Bananamisu

Mascarpone

Not to mention all the wines, of course.

And these people really can't read (and think cows live in cages), so I wouldn't be surprised if just this number of unfamiliar words and items, repeatedly popping up along with those heathen wine names, would be enough to confuse them.

When I read the list Churchie, my first impulse was to say. "I'll have a grilled cheese", and I don't even like grilled cheese sandwiches.

• Love 2

What got to me was that the pastured poultry was specifically Amish pastured poultry because now I've got this image in my head of a bunch of ducks walking around in little hats and beards, refusing to be butchered by any modern means.

Does poultry taste better if it was raised Amish?

That said, count me in among those who don't have a problem believing that the Duggars would be confused by this menu. I remember when they went to England and had a meal in a traditional English restaurant/pub and they were so very confused by the food and drink. Which was just stupid because 1) British food isn't all that exotic to begin with and 2) hello, you are homeschoolers going on a world trip, why haven't you discussed beforehand what people eat in the countries you'll be visiting?!

• Love 18

I'm confused by "artisanal mushrooms". Did hipsters conjure the mushrooms up? How can a mushroom be artisanal?

I think they mean mushrooms sold by a very small farm. .... That's what artisanal seems to mean in food these days. ....

and I think they mean "Amish-pastured poultry" -- i.e., free-range chickens eating whatever's on the ground on an Amish farm. Restaurant isn't up on its hyphens, I expect.

When I read the list Churchie, my first impulse was to say. "I'll have a grilled cheese", and I don't even like grilled cheese sandwiches.

Exactly.  A lot of it's quite pretentious, and if you're basically someone who's fluent in Early Readers, pretentious food descriptions are going to throw you. I don't think they were lying. Especially because we know they are very easily thrown.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Lol. Reminds me of when The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's rich boyfriend brought her artisanal ice.

• Love 6

This episode was just tragic. These young women have no identities beyond who they will marry and the children they will have. Dear Susan B. Anthony: sorry. We know you expected more for us.

Agree fully about the girls, their identities and mindsets. But let's place the blame for this where it SHOULD be - squarely on all the men of this movement - who down through the ages haven't been mature enough, fair enough or intelligent enough to realize that what's good for their sons - education, opportunities, advantages - are just as good for their daughters. That a society or a civilization doesn't advance when only half of it is nurtured and encouraged. Boob - and the rest of his ilk - are dangling remnants of all the so-called elders of ancient times who first dreamed up this twisted idea that males, solely on the basis of size and physical strength, should be the dominant sex. That their needs and desires should count first and foremost, and in every respect. That women should not only provide for every male whim, but should also accept responsibility for male failures. And they have spent centuries indoctrinating their women to the same beliefs, which is why we see Anna Duggar unable to talk about ANYTHING else. She simply doesn't KNOW anything else.

• Love 19

I think they mean mushrooms sold by a very small farm. .... That's what artisanal seems to mean in food these days. ....

and I think they mean "Amish-pastured poultry" -- i.e., free-range chickens eating whatever's on the ground on an Amish farm. Restaurant isn't up on its hyphens, I expect.

They are Certainly up on Uppercase Words though.

I do agree it's kind of a pretentious menu and would be tough for them to follow. Heck there could be a grilled cheese on there, but finding it might be tough.

• Love 5

Two things with the non-tree house. First, I'm not surprised that is entirely made out of windows, and secondly, my heart kind of dropped for the young ones and all their excitement because for a family that stifles curiosity and imagination, the non-tree house is really just another room.

• Love 7

Here's the current dinner menu from the fancy schmancy restaurant. It's not that difficult. 

http://media.chateauonthelake.com/d/ds_chateauonbranson/media/Dinner_menu_update.pdf

Sounds like a very nice place. But not for the Duggars - no bologna on the menu. I imagine them thinking that any place that doesn't offer bologna is totally fancy-schmancy, even liberal elitist. LOL.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3