Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E05: Week 5

• Start Topic

So much went on during Nyle's segment to comment on. Great dance, shady scores, Tyra, that He comment by Sharna lol

That comment by Sharna. I had to look away.

Honestly, Jodie and Val's Paso is the reason why switch-up week is a mistake. So much potential and I'm not sure that Keo has it in him to bring that out of her. He appears to be a great dancer, but I don't think he's the greatest of teachers.

• Love 6

Quick question: I have always wondered why everyone in the audience always stands during each performance. I mean, it seems that they all could see better if they just sat down. They could reserve the standing for a standing ovation.

• Love 2

It's official: the problem is not the dancer, it's Keo.  Not that it wasn't a nice dance, but that was supposed to be a waltz?  Meanwhile Jodie gets Val and BOOM!  She becomes the contender she should have been in week 1.

The one nitpick I  have about Nyle: his turns.  When he comes out of them, he's off balance.  He almost knocked into Sharna at one point. But I had a feeling the ten was coming tonight and damn it was not deserved.

• Love 7

Paige and Sasha were my favorites. Watching Paige dance makes me happy, and her lines were as gorgeous as her smile. 

And, I agree: Maks needs to not come back, and take any bias he might have with him. It was really strange watching both him and Len go in on Keo while Kim just stood there, especially since she had just danced a beautiful dance, regardless of whether or not it was a VW. Sure, point out that it wasn't a VW, but don't seem so damn superior about it (Maks), and certainly don't go in on a full-blown rant (Len). 

Also didn't think Antonio deserved 6s. 

• Love 9

this is why Jodie should have been paired up with Val from the get go. His teaching style and more inventive choreography brings out the best in her...

Nyle is just perfect. Every time i watch him dance i can't help but smile and idk how to explain it... I was chilling half laying down but whn he started dancing my posture started changing and by the 4th bar i was upright leaning a bit to the side and back, as if i was in the frame dancing with him (i wish! lol)

speaking of wish... Artem! HOT! damn! i hated the singer (no idea who he is, i don't really follow current music) but to see Artem dance like that... I could listen to that forever if that's what it takes. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give him a capable partner next season. 

• Love 7

Maks really should not have been there judging his brother and his fiance.  

He was awfully crabby as well.  Paige was the best dance of the night IMO yet they knocked her for lack of contact.

• Love 10

My other issue with Maks was him referencing himself with Meryl.  Don't get me wrong that Keo maybe deserved to be called out, but it wasn't even an apt comparison.  Meryl is 5'3" and Kim is 5'0".  So not even remotely the same height.  Shut up Maks.

I enjoyed Paige/Mark and Nyle/Sharna the most.  Also really enjoyed Jodie, and yes, she would have been better off with Val.  Especially since I like Jodie and don't care about Ginger.

Also I've said it before, but Nyle is winning this thing. Not a doubt in my mind.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

GINGER: Both she and her husband are, in a word, thirsty. It's not a great look for anyone, but especially them. I also noticed how the judges were effusive in their praise with nary a word of criticism, and then gave them 8s. Makes me think some producers talked to the judges about "keeping it in the family" via ABC.

NYLE: I was a little confused about the scores. When do they give the "official" scores, and why can't they change their minds? I think Nyle did fantastic, but I've always been a fan of his, especially on ANTM. He's such a genuinely good guy.

I know we say it all the time, but I really wish they wouldn't ding the dancers for the poor choreo over which they have no control.

• Love 13

That was definitely Jodie's best dance of the season - she was amazing with Val (as was suspected - she wasn't necessariily the one with the problem). If they're not going to give the dancers a 10 then they should really tell them what exactly they lost the point for. Every single judge had nothign but amazing praise for Jodie and yet 3 of them gave a 9 and len only gave a 8.

I don't agree with Nyle getting a 10 because there did look to be some mistakes or slight mis-steps in some of his turns (and half the time you could hardly see his feet with all the smoke).

• Love 4

Oddly enough, I'm starting to like Bruno most out of all the judges. Yes, he's a drama queen, but he actually critiques the dance, and gently.  Once he gets past the dramatic entrance he's scripted in his head, he gives feedback on posture and arm movement and such that is on point and helpful.  And he doesn't usually ding the celebrity for the choreography.  The only exception is when the dance is noticeably slower than it should be.  I felt bad for Kim because that judging was unpleasant.  (I get that there have been  pro women who have danced with really tall men, but they're pros; they're able to adapt their frame.)  Jodie did much better with Val, but Val took several years before he was really competitive with a partner.  This is, like, Keo's eighth week, total, over 3 seasons.  He'll get more confident as a teacher and a choreographer, just like Val did.

• Love 10

Putting this in the right thread:

What is this fuckery? Don't pull out paddles and then take those scores away. That's just cruel to Nyle. Remind the judges of how scoring works, but honor the scores Nyle saw.

Also, don't punish the contestants if their pros can't choreograph a dance correctly. Hire better pros.

Moral of the story: don't punish people for other people's mistakes. 

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Love 14

I hate when this show forgets that it's supposed to be fun.

Between the nasty judging, the uncomfortable editing in the packages, the randomly enforcing expectations that haven't been in recent seasons, the strict scoring then random 10, and the scoring mix up by two judges, this episode sure killed the fun this season had going.

• Love 14

....Wanya and Witney looked great.  His musicality is off the charts.  

Wanya has lots of fans who feel he can do no wrong. He has musicality and rhythm in spades. What he doesn't have, IMHO, is the technique for ballroom and Latin dance. Wanya looks like he is performing these dances with a Hip Hop flair and performing with poor posture. He always seems to be hunched (as in Hip Hop technique).

• Love 9

Maks and Len seemed especially mean and grumpy tonight. I do feel some of the merit was there on the couples’ mistakes and lack of content, but the way they went about it just felt harsh and mean spirited. It also felt like a deliberate way to hype up the Chmerkovskiy family. It’s not a coincidence that Mak’s fiancée’s original partner, Mak’s brother, and Mak’s brother’s original partner got the best scores and best critiques of the night, why coming down on anyone who poses a threat to Nyle and Ginger especially. Paige was the biggest victim of underscoring as her dance should’ve easily been in 34-36 territory.

A few thoughts on the dances:

Kim/Keo: The second the dance finished I knew it would be slammed. It was very American Smooth styled where open work is allowed, but even I was like “Where’s the in-hold parts?” I feel like using height difference is a poor excuse. Many others in the past have dealt with the height difference and to even more than Kim and Keo. I did like her lyricism and sultry performance and I agreed with Carrie Ann in that regard. This just was part 1 of showing why Keo is a weak pro. I hope these scores and early slot in the order doesn’t send Kim home before Doug

Paige/Sasha: This was a great partnership, and very nice to see Paige open up about not being used to trusting people coming from a sport where everyone is your enemy. I loved this dance and I loved how soft, and feminine her movement was. I have no idea where Maks’ comment came from because I saw plenty of Rumba content, more so than some previous people’s dances and more so than his “Rumba” with Meryl, so it felt kind of hypocritical to say it. Seemed like a dig to one of his brother and fiancée’s biggest competition.

Nyle/Sharna: : Nyle is a more dynamic dancer and performer than Wanya; there I said it. It was his best dance technique wise, but not yet a 10, I did see moments where his posture would stiffen up a little, but having said that, easily the best male celeb dance of the night. I think in terms of the score snafu, Bruno and Maks went with 9 but after critiquing they wanted to be part of the lovefest and thought they could get away with it. Seems fishy to me.

Jodie/Val: Part 2 of showing why Keo is a poor pro; Jodie has her best dance, technique wise and performance wise with another pro. Keo never would’ve given her choreo like this. I’m glad she got a boost in scores and got the pimp spot. I hope it was enough to save her from last week’s scores, because she has all the assets to make the final, I hope Keo can get his choreo exciting after seeing this, but with his Kim choreo tonight I have my severe doubts.

• Love 2

I did feel a bit of bias coming from Maks, and I think he was a little too sharp in some of his comments, but it was nice to have a counterpoint to Carrie Ann's gibberish nonsense and Bruno's hyper dramatic commentary. It was interesting that he and Len had the same score on almost every dance, and it was usually lower than Bruno's and Carrie Ann's scores. But I agree that Bruno's actual critiques seem helpful and not snarky.

I think Jodie became my favorite tonight. She was so much more relaxed and dynamic with Val as her partner. And reading between the lines -- her comment that it's "just a dance" -- made me wonder if she really is having a tough time connecting with Keo. She got most of my votes tonight.

And Ginger just bugs the crap out of me. Her shimmying didn't strike me as sexy; it reminded me of when Monica was dancing for Chandler with a turkey on her head on "Friends." I did like the sunshiny outfits, however.

I like Doug, but I think his time is up. He needs to go next week.

• Love 12

I wonder if it was awkward for Karina and Peta to switch on Maks judging week. "So Doug, what's it like to change Karina for Peta, I wonder if anyone else here knows what that's like?" <<everyone looks around awkwardly avoiding eye contact>>

Maks was there with the instruction to stir things up, IMO, so whatever. He was definitely playing the dickbag part though. He went IN on Keo on last weeks all access so I wasn't surprised to see it here. I have my own criticisms of Keos teaching style, but also damn. I could do without more Maks thank you.

Witney needs to stop whining about how much she hates switchup - it just feels childish. I liked Mark and Ginger more than Val and Ginger, and Jodie was better with Val but she still seems a little high strung, like she wants it a touch too much. Probably the Sabrina Bryant comparison is apt. Paige and Sasha were pretty cute together as well. (I heart Sasha)

I still think Nyle has this season in the bag.

• Love 4

I'm torn on the 10s ... legit or not. Both Maks and Bruno screwed up? ... I have a hard time buying that. It reads more like Maks and Bruno wanted to give a 10, TPTB said to give a 9, and they decided they weren't going to listen. Too bad, they should know that the number that goes on the digital board is the "official" one despite what paddle the judge holds up.

Anyway, it was good but there were things he could work and I always hesitate for 10s where things could be fixed. 9s are fine.

This ^^^ times a million.....That scoring snafu smelled mighty stinky to me......

• Love 1

I have always been a fan of Maks but he was unnecessarily rude tonight. For someone who used to fight with judges all the time for dinging his partner if they issue they had was with the choreography, he sure went in hard on Kim for Keo's lack of proper content. That was uncomfortable to watch. 

Also, all I noticed in Nyle's dance was his bum and not in a good way. He was hunched over with his bum sticking out for a good half of that dance. The dance was good but not 10 worthy. I did like him partnered with Sharna better with Peta but I think that is because stylistically I don't really enjoy Peta's dances. And I generally love Sharna's waltz choreography. 

Tonight was such a bummer after such a fun week last week. 

• Love 6

As Doug was talking about his memory problems, I had two thoughts: 1) Peta probably is a good fit for him after working with Tommy Chong, and 2) NFL concussion scandal.

I hope Paige saw Mark lift Ginger and realizes he's capable.

Why is Antonio on the show if he's so busy? Complaining about having to rehearse while raising kids and doing his day job. Two words: Ginger Zee. Love her or hate her, she is putting in the work along with an other-coast job and breast feeding an infant. So shut it. Sharna should fine him for lateness like Witney does with Von.

Von still needs to dance bigger.

Nyle was beautiful. Still my pick to win.

Jodie was so much better. Yes, it should be clear by now that Keo is the problem. Wish he had gotten Mischa and Jodie had been with Artem or Val.

• Love 10

No elimination.  Well I guess that would be counted as a shocking elimination? 

They usually don't have eliminations for Switch Up Week.

Edited by Dejana

Totally different experience watching the show for a guest judge. Look, having judges be related to contestants is ridiculous, but it's happened before so *shrug*. If the show won't be a fair competition (spoiler alert: it won't be) then at least give my favorite screen time. I would be 100% willing to get rid of Val if that would help.

There is a difference between being harsh and being biased. It is possible to be both. Maks was definitely harsh but I don't know if it was calculated to help his loved ones. I think part of the advantage to having a close connection with a judge is you understand their style and know how to play to it. It helps though that he agreed with Len. I mean If Maks was going easy on only people he's related to/engaged to, Len was right there with him.  I'd be fine with Maks taking on the role of villain judge when Len takes his next break.

• Love 10

I like Wanya and Witney but Tango is a tough dance - he's not an arrogant guy, and you play that kind of person when you do ballroom tango.  He feels the music so much that he loses that required stillness and goes with the music, I get it, it's just not the right technique. Kind of shitty they slapped Witney with "lack of chemistry" pfst.

I think Ginger and Mark were very entertaining, but there was something about Gingers shoulders, very stiff and high, she really needs to relax her upper body and that will translate to the core and hips. 8 across was a little high, I would have thrown a 7 in there.

Paige is  a favorite of mine, she has the goods to win, and so I am not sure if the narrative was for Sasha to not give content and just get some sort of connection going, which is kind of knob. He is only going to be her partner this week.  I would have loved to have seen more from her. I bet she could really do some interesting extension work, and all we got were quick extensions and some sloppy spinning.  I was so disappointed. I think the choreography really let her down because this girl is capable. Sasha does not strike me as someone who holds back, I think maybe the narrative was to ease up so that Mark and Paige shine when they are together.

I liked that Maks called out the non steps in the Rumba,  Len noticed an opening out and a cucaracha. I mean, that is really really slim and I really think that it was more of some sort of contemporary dance.  I am rooting for her to do well, I hope she can survive.

Von was given a lot of content and that was a lot to cope with. I actually applaud him for getting in the toe heel crosses, not easy for a big guy with big feet! But the rest of it was a wing and a prayer. Not so great.

Antonio, he reminds me of Donald Driver. That same sort of stiff legged style that Donald pulled out an upset,  I think Antonio is probably getting a helluva lot of votes and so can afford a few 6 paddles this week. I thought Karina really cranked up the entertainment value and I thought Antonio did fairly well with it. I think the being late narrative fed into the 6 paddles. For me, it  was worth 7.

Jodie did well with a partner who really stayed with her, they were in hold a lot of the time, Val gave Jodie a chance to come back. I think the 8 was right. The 9's were generous, but I get it, it was insurance so she doesn't leave.

Nyle on this dance he is a revelation. Just brought tears to my eyes. This guy knows exactly how to pull out emotion and dance it well. I would have preferred if he kept his jacket closed. That way it wouldn't have rode up and made his shoulders looked hunched because he has a tendency to do that, the jacket open didn't help the frame. Tens were a bit high, but obviously Len has signaled his favorite - now he has to live up to it. 

• Love 4

Wow! Already page 2 of this thread? I had trouble signing on - it seems to have cleared up at the moment so here's my thoughts:

Wanya:  His feet were really nice and sharp but his upper half was a little too much groovin' to the music.  I wasn't sure what those hip hoppy moves (?) were near the end. These are Witney's errors IMO. (Ha! Witney was NOT amused.)  Agree with the scores.

Kim:  A few little awkward moves (like the ending slide and she was having trouble sliding), still too much overdancing by Keo while Kim stood waiting, just didn't look like a Viennese Waltz (just confirmed by Maks that it wasn't a VW).  Keo's excuse of height difference was lame.  Plenty of the female pros have had height differences with male stars.  I think the 8s were too high. Should have been a mix of 6s and 7s.

Doug:  A little clunky but a good job for Doug at his skill level.  It looked like Peta was talking to him all throughout.  I liked this much more than Wanya's tango.  Agree with the scores, though I wouldn't have minded one 8.

A little too much truth from Sharna - not mentioning Antonio for who she thinks will win.

Ginger:  She's still holding back IMO. I noticed there was no specific critique.  I think this is her most energetic dance so far (moreso than her Jive or Samba IMO). She's just a ray of sunshine I guess. Her husband's a character though.  The scores were ok. Glad they didn't go for 9s.

Antonio: From snapchat, he spends a lot of time on his football practice and on his bling.   Interesting that they are showing his lateness.  Agree w/Len.  It was more bump and grind than cha cha.  His fixed smile during judging unnerved me a little - did he hear any of the critiques?  I think he should have gotten all 6s.

Paige:  It surprised me that she had been tweeting for the rumba during the switchup voting period. I wondered if she wanted to keep this "dance of love" somewhat impersonal with a new partner, rather than with Mark who she seems to have gotten close to.  I think she kind of confirmed that by saying she doesn't look at Sasha or Mark when dancing.   I thought there was more than 1 rumba move in that dance.  The 7 was too low. All 8s would have been ok. (Maks helping to keep Ginger at the top of the leaderboard?)

Von:  I think he forgot his moves twice.  The kicks and flicks weren't very good, hunched over and flat-footed.  But it was entertaining. Agree with the scores.

Nyle:  Lovely  VW.  This is the first dance that he's seemed in control rather than racing at hyper-speed. What was all that business with the 10 paddles? They all have to jump on the bandwagon?  They all know that whatever score they wrote down is the score that counts.   Could Nyle be having some problem getting votes?  Everyone has been holding in the 6-7-8 range and only Nyle pops up to 9s and the first 10? 

Jodie:  I'm so glad she got a good dance and that Val stepped up to the plate for her.  She deserved a good one.  Why did Maks have to remind everyone of Sabrina's early departure? That wasn't necessary. Let her enjoy this night for cryin out loud!  Scores were a little high. One 9 would have been fine.

So we have Doug at 52 (9.1711% of the total) and Kim at 60 (10.5820%)  and Antonio and Von barely ahead at 61 (10.7584%) for the total of the 2 weeks scores.  I'm not so sure Doug's going just yet.  And I think running order and a bit of overscoring might have saved Jodie (62 points, 10.9347).  This is close! 

• Love 1

I don't think it's surprising that Jodie's best dance comes with a partner other than Keo.

I basically watch TV only half paying attention to everything, but Jodie really caught my attention during the first intros tonight. It was like she suddenly had found some sexiness and moves. I also tend to watch maybe the first two shows of the season and this is actually the farthest into a full season I've watched in a while. I'm not familiar with Keo, but there is something I find off-putting about him. I'm not sure what or why, but I'm just not seeing anything special there. Jodie needed to be partnered with someone a bit more fun. 

• Love 1

Just as I suspected, Jodie and Val turned out to be a better partnership than Jodie and Keo. In this case, I wish the switch-up was permanent. She looked so confident and really seemed to be enjoying her dance with Val.

I loved Nyle's Viennese Waltz with Sharna. It was so beautiful and how can you not love the guy. He seems really down to earth and just an all-around nice guy. He has wonderful dancing ability and I hope he makes it to the final. Lol, a note to Sharna: never assume what a person's sexuality is. It's better to ask than end up making that type of mistake.

Wanya is one of my favorites and in his case, I'm glad the switch-up with Witney is not permanent. I missed his chemistry with Lindsay, but despite that, I don't think he deserved the criticism he got from Maks.

• Love 3

to Sharna's defense Nyle is openly "fluid". So it wasn't completely out of the left field. but yeah, that was awkward 

Also how sweet was Peta watching them? She really cares and is extremely protective over Nyle. I'm getting a big sis vibes lol

• Love 3

I liked Maks and Len balancing out CAI and Bruno. This is supposed to be a ballroom dance show. If how it makes you feel is more important than the technique, they should do away with the ballroom styles and have every week be a freestyle or contemporary. If you're going to call something a Viennese Waltz, choreograph a Viennese Waltz. And Len's hate of American Smooth is nothing new- I don't know why pros choreograph American Smooth routines year after year and act surprised when he shits all over it. If you're going to play the game, play the game.

That scoring snafu for Nyle was so awkward and should have been handled smoother from a producing perspective. I can't believe that after 22 seasons, Bruno accidentally forgot.

I don't get the people saying Maks "favored" Val and Peta or is somehow too biased to judge. His scores for Ginger and Nyle were in line with the other judges.

I'd love for someone to provide an example where Maks's votes and/or critique was the outlier amongst the judges, for the sake of elevating "his people" or putting down "the competition". Every critique he had was matched by Len.

It's also a little silly that we had Julianne judging Derek for multiple seasons- one of which he won- not to mention her cousin the second-place finalist, but somehow Maks's 8 for Ginger is the biggest bias in the history of DWTS and he should never return.

Lindsay carried Von in the worst way. Not sure why he's getting a free pass 2 weeks in a row and Antonio is getting the bitch edit.

Edited by skittl3862
  • Love 9

The show isn't even over yet and I just have to say: SHUT UP, MAKS.  "Let us not forget Maks and Meryl..."  Oh, you mean the time you whined until they gift wrapped a win for you just so you'd come back and get your stupid mirrorball?  

I'm not even a Keo fan.  I think it's clear he's a weak choreographer, and an absolute anchor to Jodie's talents.  But Maks was such a pompous douche.

Also was it just me, or was Erin a bit more flirty with Maks at the beginning?  She's always joked around, but that was before he put a ring on it.  It just seemed different this time.

• Love 6

That was unpleasant.  I never enjoy switch up week.  Everyone looks freakin uncomfortable and the judges are always harsher.  They should be treating this as a first/second week dance.  Of course Maks had to go after Wanya, his fiancé's  stiffest competition.  Although I think, Witney  doesn't give 100%, for switch up week.  She didn't with Nick, last year.

• Love 3

I felt like Maks brought down Paige, when Len says it had more content than he did, you know something was up. He gave it an 7 and some made up criticism to make sure that Val's original partner, Ginger, had the higher score.

I personally felt like a 9 or two could've snuck into Paige's scores because I felt like it was soft and emotional which is something new for her to show this season.

Paige getting a 31 for that great Rumba seems wrong because it was way better than that. She's the most natural dancer for the female celebs and I don't feel like they score her appropriately except for last week's Quickstep, every other dance I feel it's too low.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 1

I liked Maks and Len balancing out CAI and Bruno. This is supposed to be a ballroom dance show. If how it makes you feel is more important than the technique, they should do away with the ballroom styles and have every week be a freestyle or contemporary. If you're going to call something a Viennese Waltz, choreograph a Viennese Waltz. And Len's hate of American Smooth is nothing new- I don't know why pros choreograph American Smooth routines year after year and act surprised when he shits all over it. If you're going to play the game, play the game.

That scoring snafu for Nyle was so awkward and should have been handled smoother from a producing perspective. I can't believe that after 22 seasons, Bruno accidentally forgot.

I don't get the people saying Maks "favored" Val and Peta or is somehow too biased to judge. His scores for Ginger and Nyle were in line with the other judges.

I'd love for someone to provide an example where Maks's votes and/or critique was the outlier amongst the judges, for the sake of elevating "his people" or putting down "the competition". Every critique he had was matched by Len.

It's also a little silly that we had Julianne judging Derek for multiple seasons- one of which he won- not to mention her cousin the second-place finalist, but somehow Maks's 8 for Ginger is the biggest bias in the history of DWTS and he should never return.

Lindsay carried Von in the worst way. Not sure why he's getting a free pass 2 weeks in a row and Antonio is getting the bitch edit.

I agree wholeheartedly about Maks. He was harsh, but so was Len. Never was his score or critique not in line with at least one of the other judges. I also like it when there's actual, legitimate criticism. Julianne Hough, IMO was much more biased, it just may have sounded less harsh.

Regarding Von and Antonio. The only reason I can think of as to why they're treated differently is because Von seems much more committed to the show. He's not as naturally talented or as light on his feet (He's a linebacker!), but seems to be willing to put in the work. Antonio on the other hand isn't. Not to mention, his natural talent is no where good enough to be as cocky as he appears.

• Love 5

My problem wasn't overly with the scores themselves, besides the ridiculous 7 for Paige.  The issue for me is that Maks was straight up nasty to almost everyone but people associated with his brother and fiancee.  I don't have a problem with Ginger getting 8's, but I do think Maks deliberately gave Paige a 7 to make sure Ginger stayed ahead of her at that point.  I do think it's interesting that Maks couldn't find one thing to critique about Ginger's performance all while giving her an 8, but had time to critique Keo/Kim through two critiques and then took time on All Access after the show to continue lighting into Keo, where he also made sure to make everyone aware of the brilliance of all things Val and how Val is better than Keo. Call out Keo, that's fine.  But Maks was a douchebag about it.  Especially with calling attention to his own partnership with Meryl in a way that was remotely not relevant to the issue at hand.  Meryl is about 3 inches taller than Kim.  Maks is shorter than Keo.  So how was that relevant?  I'd also add that Maks has done plenty of choreography that loosely looked like the dances at hand, even with Meryl.  So again, it's not the scores necessarily being out of line...except for a few.  It's the attitude with which he judged.  It's not a coincidence that the four people he was nice to were basically Ginger, Doug, Nyle and Jodie.  Critique the people.  Don't be an ass.

Also pretty sure Maks and Len gave Doug and Wanya the same score.  Even on an off night for Wanya, that is still ridiculous.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 5

Maks needs to not come back.  I find it hard to believe that he gave Ginger an 8, meaning he saw obvious issues, and yet found not one thing to critique her on.  Give me a break.  I thought 8's were the right score for Ginger as it was decent but not amazing, though I appreciated Mark made her dance.  There were some footwork issues.  There were some hip issues, but suddenly she's perfect and amazing when he's ripping apart just about everyone else.  Or should I say everyone else not connected to either his brother or fiancee.

I don't find the 8 for Ginger no worse than Len (of all people) giving Nyle a 10 with his butt sticking out and absolutely horrid posture.

• Love 4

Call out Keo, that's fine.  But Maks was a douchebag about it.  Especially with calling attention to his own partnership with Meryl in a way that was remotely not relevant to the issue at hand.  Meryl is about 3 inches taller than Kim.  Maks is shorter than Keo.  So how was that relevant?  I'd also add that Maks has done plenty of choreography that loosely looked like the dances at hand, even with Meryl.  So again, it's not the scores necessarily being out of line...except for a few.  It's the attitude with which he judged.  It's not a coincidence that the four people he was nice to were basically Ginger, Doug, Nyle and Jodie.  Critique the people.  Don't be an ass.

Also pretty sure Maks and Len gave Doug and Wanya the same score.  Even on an off night for Wanya, that is still ridiculous.  

Maks and Keo are the same height. As for Kim being shorter, that maybe true. It was a challenge for Keo this week. I think the point was just big height differences don't prevent you from dancing the style. It is a challenge but as others have pointed out some of the male athletes and their female partners deal with that week after week. They've said the trick is to have the woman dance up to the man and not have the man slouch. IMO, that's probably easier with a male pro who knows not to wreck his posture. It's hard to say if Kim danced a good VW if she didn't dance much VW. Len went in on it too, so I'm not sure why Maks would be the only issue there.

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if there were behind the scenes issues with Keo this week. I kind of got the impression that he purposefully was choreographing American Smooth as a way to lower Kim's scores and hiding behind the height difference. There's no doubt that she is Jodie's closest competition at this point. When Keo demonstrated the hold at the judges table, it didn't look insurmountable.

As for pure dancing, I felt that Paige and Wanya danced at a similar level tonight, but that the choreography/new partners held them back. Maks gave them both 7's. Kim was a little worse then Paige with her dancing but had the same choreography issues and got a 6 from Maks. Ginger had more issues with her dancing, but gave a high energy performance which always scores a little higher and had the right content which justified the 8. The only issue with Ginger is that she wasn't critiqued like anyone else, but that's an ABC synergy thing.

As for the 10's, it's possible that once the judges started to confer that Bruno and Maks wanted to change their scores. I'm leaning towards they were told they couldn't give 10's tonight, but Len broke the "rules" from the producers.

• Love 2

Maks is Maks. He was harsh and did seem favorable towards his peeps, much like Julianne with Derek. Maks,however, is a good -looking adult man so I forgive some things.

Karina did a nice job with Antonio. Technique did not blow me away but the entertainment value was amazing.

Antonio's smile makes me happy.

Not on the Nyle-train. He had his butt sticking out and horrible posture tonight. He has lovely eyes but I don't find him to be handsome. He is inspiring and better than many of the celebs this year but he is boring IMO.

I am convinced at this point, that the show is almost completely edited and scripted. I tend to ignore everything said by everyone.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 2

I wonder if it was awkward for Karina and Peta to switch on Maks judging week. "So Doug, what's it like to change Karina for Peta, I wonder if anyone else here knows what that's like?" <<everyone looks around awkwardly avoiding eye contact>>.

Good one. When they went up to get their scores, I noticed the line of women - two fiancés and one ex-girlfriend of Maks'. I guess it kinda was his show, as he once so famously said, in a certain kind of way!

• Love 5

Switch up week is always awkward but I enjoyed it.  

Things I liked and some observations:

***Kim has lost a lot of weight!  Her body has changed dramatically.  She has an apple body shape and we are about to see a waist emerge. How cool is that!  I have that shape, too so I know the snafus.   Her face is so beautiful it stuns.  I don't know her from her past but I love the upbeat person that I see.  

***I don't take this show very seriously so I don't care if it is strictly ballroom or and interpretation of the formal dance.  I appreciate that Len does though. He adds the original concept of the show.  That has changed and he has decided to stay firm in his sensibilities.  He encourages the pros to not go too far over that line, and that is good.  

***I loved the judging!  LOVED it. I was thoroughly entertained.  I adore Maks and he played a role tonight.  I don't believe for one minute, being familiar with reality TV, that there was not some plan to this.  I love that Len is back, he brings a balance. They made me tolerate Carrie Ann (barely) tonight.  THAT is a first. 

***Maks looked more handsome than I have ever seen.  I like his edges.  He was playing it up and it was fun, for me.

***I know some of Peta's tears were feeling proud for Nyle and I  think some them were for herself seeing how well Nyle connected with Sharna.  I get that.  I like them both and I felt for Peta, knowing she wanted him to succeed but maybe not become so quite so happy with Sharna!. I would feel the same way, absolutely.  That was the most poignant part of the show, for me.  Her fiancee, and the other judges raved.  Peta, you are one of my favorites. 

***Ginger..........Ginger............Ginger................nope.  She annoys me. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 7

They usually don't have eliminations for Switch Up Week.

Yes, that has always been true, but why hype the show and advertise it is a shocking elimination.  That is what bugged me.  I got my hopes up that someone would go!  

Call out Keo, that's fine.  But Maks was a douchebag about it.  Especially with calling attention to his own partnership with Meryl in a way that was remotely not relevant to the issue at hand.  Meryl is about 3 inches taller than Kim.  Maks is shorter than Keo.  So how was that relevant?  I'd also add that Maks has done plenty of choreography that loosely looked like the dances at hand, even with Meryl.  So again, it's not the scores necessarily being out of line...except for a few.  It's the attitude with which he judged.  It's not a coincidence that the four people he was nice to were basically Ginger, Doug, Nyle and Jodie.  Critique the people.  Don't be an ass.

Also pretty sure Maks and Len gave Doug and Wanya the same score.  Even on an off night for Wanya, that is still ridiculous.

I don't want Maks to judge again, because even before he started judging, I knew there would be cries of bias no matter what he said. So is Len related to Val and/or Pete because he was equally, if not more, of a douchebag to Keo. And while Maks was kind of douchey to Keo, I think he was the only one he was like that with. He wasn't any meaner in the tone of his comments to Wanya, Paige, Vonn, etc than he was to Doug, Nyle, Jodie, or Ginger.

I know people will never be able to let this go, but the judges do not, have never, and will never judge each dancer the same way. A Wanya 7 is not the same as a Doug 7. So, no, I don't find it ridiculous they got the same score. 

• Love 6

It's a pity that when judges try to hold true to the demands of the dance styles assigned to the couples that some viewers see their efforts as mean and that those who have long held Maks in disdain, would take this opportunity to malign his credentials and credibility further.

Wanya, while a charming performer has posture issues which had until this dance, gone unremarked, and uncorrected. Long before Len and Maks mentioned it, I, as would anyone with even a basic knowledge of ballroom, despite touching performances, had noted the same lack of content in Antonio's, Kim's and Paige's dances, as well as Doug's Viennese Waltz last week. These made the ones which did have a comparatively high amount of content seem all that much better, even when they were only competently performed, like Doug's Tango or Ginger's salsa this week.

And when they combined the two, as in the case of Nyle and Jodie, it was brilliant!

• Love 6