Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E05: Week 5

• Start Topic

These are the switchup pairings, dances and songs (copied from PureDWTS):

Antonio & Karina (Sharna) – Cha-Cha (song: “Son of a Preacher Man” by Dusty Springfield)

Phone # 1-800-868-3401

Nyle & Sharna (Peta) – Viennese waltz (song: “I Get to Love You” by Ruelle)

Phone # 1-800-868-3409

Doug & Peta (Karina) – Tango (song: “Black & Gold” by Sam Sparro)

Phone # 1-800-868-3402

Kim & Keo (Sasha) – Viennese waltz (song: “These Arms of Mine” by Otis Redding)

Phone # 1-800-868-3406

Jodie & Val (Keo) – Paso Doble (song: “Under Control” by Calvin Harris & Alesso)

Phone # – 1-800-868-3405

Von & Lindsay (Witney) – Jive (song: “Hips” by Beans & Fatback)

Phone # 1-800-868-3411

Ginger & Mark (Val) – Salsa (song: “La Malanga” by Eddie Palmieri)

Phone # – 1-800-868-3404

Wanya & Witney (Lindsay) – Tango (song: “Hold Back the River” by James Bay)

Phone # 1-800-868-3412

Paige & Sasha (Mark) – Rumba (song: “Perfect” by One Direction)

Phone # 1-800-868-3410

OK, so that's unreliable then. Thanks, OnceSane. Thought ABC's press release was already out.

After making a big production out of announcing Ginger's switch partner (Mark) on GMA, they gave a quick pic of all the other switch couples (at the end of the video).  GMA's twitter also has all the switch partners in their tweets starting around 1130amm (EST) this morning.  You can just scroll through GMA's timeline to see them all. https://twitter.com/GMA

I'd heard how slanted GMA's coverage has been for DWTS with Ginger competing. I was really shocked to see how bad it was. You'd think she'd be embarrassed and would beg them to stop it.

• Love 2

Uke, I wasn't referring to the Switch-Up couplings being unreliable. My comment was simply in response to OnceSane's descriptor of the episode, which says there will be an elimination. There has never been an elimination during Switch-Up week. And TV Guide is not, to me, a reliable indicator of things being any different this time.

Edited by Mbeaker

Hoping Witney brings her "A" game.  I have not been impressed by her choreography this season.  Wanted Wayna with Karina.

I think Jody being with Val will help her.  I don't think Keo knows what to do with a good partner.

A little worried for Nyle, just because I think he's got a good communication system with Peta going on and it will be hard to adjust with a new instructor with just a week of rehearsals.  I'm sure Peta will help Sharna out as best she can.

Uke, I wasn't referring to the Switch-Up couplings being unreliable. My comment was simply in response to OnceSane's descriptor of the episode, which says there will be an elimination. There has never been an elimination during Switch-Up week. And TV Guide is not, to me, a reliable indicator of things being any different this time.

If it helps, every episode description I've seen says there is an elimination for this week.

• Love 1

Just FYI we use the information that's available to us to make threads. We don't have magic access to any information from the show/network/etc... so if you have information that you want to add, please feel free to let us know! 

As I've said before, we're volunteers and we try to make this a great place for you guys to chat. We try hard to get it all right! 

• Love 11

Oops! I misunderstood. Sorry.

I'd heard how slanted GMA's coverage has been for DWTS with Ginger competing. I was really shocked to see how bad it was. You'd think she'd be embarrassed and would beg them to stop it.

Hopefully Ginger will the "shocking elimination" and this will be over!

She just annoys me.

• Love 7

Hopefully Ginger won't be in the finals. I sure don't want to see Val's tired, recycled choreography in the finals again. It would be nice to have an all-male final so we can see what the ladies can do. Would love to see Wanya, Nyle, Antonio and Von. I'm not a big fan of Witney or Sharna but I do like Antonio and Von.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1

If it helps, every episode description I've seen says there is an elimination for this week.

If so, I'm curious about the change. I actually hope there in an elimination on Monday, instead of having a double elimination down the pike. And maybe TPTB are fearful of who they'll lose in such a case? Whereas if they eliminate one person on Monday (I'll be shocked if it isn't Doug), they can shield one of their chosen ones for awhile longer. Just thinking out loud.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think at some point during Disney week Tom said "points will be added to" something...

I was half paying attention, cleaning lol

I'm not sure if he meant that the scores from 4 judges will be totaled up, or if he was talking about no elimination and adding the scores over two weeks...

...... There has never been an elimination during Switch-Up week. And TV Guide is not, to me, a reliable indicator of things being any different this time.

Isn't the elimination this Monday (April 18) decided on the votes and judge's scores from last week (April 11) ? Why wouldn't there be an elimination this coming Monday?

Isn't the elimination this Monday (April 18) decided on the votes and judge's scores from last week (April 11) ? Why wouldn't there be an elimination this coming Monday?

Why? IDK, maybe they prefer the celeb get one final dance with their original pro, instead of with their Switch-Up partner? Who knows why this show does anything. Julz, on AfterBuzz, was also under the impression that there won't be an elimination even though he heard "maybe" exactly for the reason I mentioned: it's how they've always done it, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Edited by Mbeaker

Traditionally the scores from the week before the switch up and the scores from the switch up are combined to eliminate someone the following week. If that follows this season, that means the scores from Disney night would be added to the scores from the switch up and they'll eliminate someone the following week (based on the scores from the previous two weeks).

That's the best of both worlds, I think - no one gets eliminated solely based on scores with their temporary partner and they get to do a final dance with their permanent partner (though those scores ultimately don't matter).

That said, it's more likely that they're trying to compensate for the week-late start of the season. If they don't have a double elimination down the line or a 4 person finale the season will run until 6/7 ... which is super late. (EDIT: checking, they've already announced the finale to air on 5/23-5/24.)

To get to the standard 3-person finale they've got to eliminate 6 couples in 5 weeks, so I think it's more likely that someone took a look at the schedule and said, "crap, that means we've got to eliminate someone on switch-up night, on switch up scores alone (the week after switch up night), AND have a double elimination." Or ... they could choose two of three scenarios and go into the finale with 4 couples.

Edited by McManda

They have been doing 4-couple finales ever since season 16 (except for season 20, when they were able to have Tuesday results shows for the last 2-3 weeks).

But even with a 4-couple finale, it does look like they would need to do a double elimination at some point, or have to eliminate someone this coming Monday (4/18).

Oops, I forgot to take in to account that the finale is 2 nights. I was thinking a 4-couple finale as in, the final night of the finale. You're right, though, they've eliminated someone on finale-Monday and then gone into finale-Tuesday with 3 couples.

I don't think Season 20 having a results show in the latter half of the season had anything to do with going into the finale with 3 couples, though. They just pushed a Monday night elimination to the next day one week and went from there. They eliminated Chris Soules and Robert Herjavec the same night (5/5/15), but as far as I can tell there was no real reason given for the double elimination that week.

Edited by McManda

GMA team has been pimping Ginger since before the season started.  And Ginger has played right along with it.  If you watch GMA, you'll know that Ginger has been sent on other "adventures" in the past.  But, now with the baby, she's limited in where she can go and what she can do.  Apparently DWTS fills that void.  

That being said, Ginger is an adequate dancer but I don't think she'll be in the finals.

I agree -- totally enjoyed Wanya's dance! As for Len criticizing Keo and Kim, I do not tune into this show to hear that kind of meanness and basically yelling ugliness from Len at Keo. You can be critical when need be -- specifics about the Viennese waltz -- but his level of vitriol made me very, very uncomfortable. Shut up, Len.

• Love 10

*shrug* I like when they try to bring the show back to its ballroom roots. I only wish they'd be more consistent with it.

IMO Keo doesn't get to complain about a height difference when others have dealt with it (better) in the past. Sorry Keo, excuses don't make me see you as a better teacher. And it's a green pro move to try to argue back. You might disagree with the criticism you're getting but all you get to do is stand there, smile, and nod.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 16

Tom specifically asked Keo to answer Len's question about why there was no hold.  Keo wasn't complaining about the height difference; he saw it as an issue and choreographed to address it.  Kim looked wonderful in that dance, and I love the brilliant smile she flashed to start it off (when her "lover" appeared).  

Wanya and Witney looked great.  His musicality is off the charts.  

• Love 6

Tom specifically asked Keo to answer Len's question about why there was no hold.  Keo wasn't complaining about the height difference; he saw it as an issue and choreographed to address it. 

Exactly. I don't necessarily like Keo, but he was responding to the question. And there was no reason for Maks to dredge up Kim and Keo's dance again when he was critiquing his fiancee and Doug. "The complete opposite of what Keo and Kim did -- full of content, yadda yadda." 

• Love 5

The only season I watched was when Apollo Ohno won and I really didn't watch all season so this is my first season watching.  It seems the couples get pretty attached to each other.  I'm surprised there's not that many romances that we hear of.

I thought Ginger's dance was over scored. She struggled to have any hip action. I don't know. Just watching it, something felt off.

I don't mind the harsher critique. But like the poster mentioned above, they need to be more consistent with it. Karina and Antonio are proof that no matter how talented the teacher, it won't matter if the celebrity isn't invested. There are no words for being late and unapologetic about it. I'm worried he's going to make it farther than he should because of his voting base.

Peta's a great teacher, because she appears patient and understanding. It's not necessarily that she's better or worse than Karina, they just have different teaching techniques and Doig appears to respond better to Peta's methods.

• Love 5

I totally agree with Max that's it not fair to the couples that try to stay true to their assigned dance no matter how difficult it's technique is and then the judges reward those who just "entertain" or "make them smile". However the judging on technique consistency sailed seasons ago.

There has been some amazing Viennese Waltzes on this show ( Mel B comes to mind) and I kept waiting for it and Keo's choreography was really lacking VW.

• Love 7
Tom specifically asked Keo to answer Len's question about why there was no hold.  Keo wasn't complaining about the height difference; he saw it as an issue and choreographed to address it.

Exactly. I don't necessarily like Keo, but he was responding to the question.

Fair enough, but it's still a bad reason to not choreograph in hold.

If 5'4" Cheryl can dance a whole season with 6'7" Rick Fox, or 5'4" Elena Grinkenko can dance with a 6'7 Clyde Drexler

... Keo can manage one dance with a 5'0" Kim Fields.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 9

Watching Sharna with Nyle makes me think the musicality critique to Peta was founded. His dance was soft and flowy and i'm not convinced that Peta would have gotten that out of him. Funny that Maks should mention it because I think Sharna did more on that front in a week than Peta's managed all season. I'm going to mostly blame Peta's choreography over her teaching skills, though, because it seems Peta generally tends to err on the fast and frantic side.

I'm torn on the 10s ... legit or not. Both Maks and Bruno screwed up? ... I have a hard time buying that. It reads more like Maks and Bruno wanted to give a 10, TPTB said to give a 9, and they decided they weren't going to listen. Too bad, they should know that the number that goes on the digital board is the "official" one despite what paddle the judge holds up.

Anyway, it was good but there were things he could work and I always hesitate for 10s where things could be fixed. 9s are fine.

And cynical me can't help but think the crying would mean more if Carrie Ann didn't cry every time someone danced to a slow song. Nyle is great, end of story, and I mostly always enjoy Sharna's choreography.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6

Maks needs to not come back.  I find it hard to believe that he gave Ginger an 8, meaning he saw obvious issues, and yet found not one thing to critique her on.  Give me a break.  I thought 8's were the right score for Ginger as it was decent but not amazing, though I appreciated Mark made her dance.  There were some footwork issues.  There were some hip issues, but suddenly she's perfect and amazing when he's ripping apart just about everyone else.  Or should I say everyone else not connected to either his brother or fiancee.

• Love 5