Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Better Angels

• Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:02 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Since when does a Kryptonian need to breath in outer space (or under water for that matter)? Agree, it has never been addressed in the show, but it is comic canon that Superman and Supergirl are able to fly away to different planets.

Since John Byrne, immediately post-"Crisis-on-Infinite-Earths".  That Superman could hold his breath a long time, but he needed to breathe, so on his jaunts to space he at least needed an oxygen mask.  I don't recall any trouble flying around in space, though, and I think the need for oxygen went away in one of the innumerable reboots since then (though it may also have come back in some of them).

• Love 1

Just to put a finer point on the space issue, all we were told at the start of the prior ep was that Clark was "away in space," (or words to that effect) and no mention was made of how he got there or whether he had to wear a breathing apparatus. So they've left themselves some wiggle room w/r/t the rules around Kryptonians in space.

This show is cheesy, but I continue to watch because I find Melissa Benoist attractive.  LOL at her "Braveheart" speech (what I call any long monologue spoken with conviction in trying to rally the troops against a common enemy and insurmountable odds...) to National City, but it worked.

One thing that I can't stand is that Superman is never in the show.  I get why he can't be.  But if we can have the Flash, then why not Superman?  And if the writers aren't going to put him in the show, then just stop alluding to him and stop with the stupid AOL instant messages.

Fingers crossed for a season 2, but if it doesn't come back, I won't be brokenhearted...

2 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Fingers crossed for a season 2, but if it doesn't come back, I won't be brokenhearted...

You must have missed the news in the Media thread.  It's been renewed, but on the CW.

I think it's generally a mistake to bring up why Kryptonians can't fly and/or breathe in space because if you're relating it to any real world physics then... how on Earth does Supergirl hover? If you're going to say there has to be some scientific basis, then she has to be exerting some downward force to counteract gravity (Super Farting!?). Another remarkably "convenient" fact is that "Head Explode" time is the same for everyone in the city - but prior to that time everyone is just fine except for a growing headache!

Overall a disappointing end to the series - I hate the "I know you're in there! You can fight this!" dialogue you get every time. At least have Max Lord run some sort of interference (they were HIS satellites Non was using, after all) to justify how Kara could break through to her. I suppose since it was mind control, it would make some sense that Alex was the easiest to break through to, though quite why anyone else in the City that hated her a couple of episodes back suddenly flips back was hard to accept.

Ottis beyond ridiculous moping in this episode because of the assumption that, whenever she got around to doing something to save the world, she would die, is beyond eye rolling.

Particularly since it ate into actually saving the world time! I was actually expecting it to cut from Alex to see Kara flying the city off while she was talking. It's almost like she didn't think she was in a rush to save the world!