Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Better Angels

• Start Topic

Having seen the previews... 

Man. I hate the cheesy trope

of "love defeating mind control". There are decent ways to impart messages about the power of love without resorting to this horrible, cheesy cliche. Always it has the same cliched dialogue in it, for every show that does this, with lines you "you can fight it" and "this isn't you!"  Every. Single. Time.

Also, did they really call her "Woman of Steel" in that description?  Was that official, what with her name having "girl" in it and all?

Edited by Kromm

Supergirl's speech of hope? MEH.

Jimmy and Kara kissing for real?  Pass.

Cat calling Kara...Kara?  I'm going to blame allergies for tearing up. 

Not a bad season, Supergirl.  Now DO BETTER.

• Love 7

Oh Supergirl, you're cornier than forty acres in Iowa, but you own it. And Melissa Benoist is just so damn winning I can't help but grin watching her. (And Jeb wasn't wrong about her other attributes, either.) 

Daaaaaaaamn moment: J'onn ripping Indigo in half.

• Love 23

Hell yea Supergirl - that's how you end a season!

Has she officially been renewed yet?  I will be biting my nails for this one - I really want another season.

I could still pass on James and Kara, but I loved everything else. Maxwell Lord continues to be an utterly perfect grey character. I love Cat so very, very much. "This is your end of Working Girl moment"  That's how Cat says "I love you."

I know this is Supergirl, but Alex is my hero!!!!

And I love MM so very much.

• Love 6

In the pod? I'm thinking either Kara Zor-L or baby Kal-El. I wasn't thinking Krypto. I know Streaky was an Earth cat, but canon has been screwed with on this show.

Okay finale to an okay series. Kinda gagged on Cat bringing up Working Girl because Harrison Ford was the closest to a male lead in that movie. Nice that Cat finally got "Kara" right . . . assuming "Kira" wasn't on purpose.

Also nice that J'onn will be operating out in the open. They're not recasting, are they? I like the "Hank" model, even if the original comes back.

Anybody else feel bad for Winn? I mean, he's part of a family that doesn't involve a psycho dad, but he probably feels like a fifth wheel. I kept expecting him to say to Kara, "Touch it. Squeeze it. Just once. I don't care if it turns to diamond . . . it would mean a lot to me."

With the dumpster fire happening on many scripted TV shows this season I've been impressed with this show the entire season. Sure there have been issues but the optimism is infectious in a good way.

I loved the ending scenes and hope that Helen Slater gets more to do if, no scratch that, when the show is renewed because her story is fascinating and she is a great actor.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 6

I love MM so much.  His look of what the heck when they said they were going to give a speech of hope to stop Myriad was perfect. That whole sequence was painful and terrible.  It made(some) sense for Alex's mom to get through to Alex but Supergirl and her hallmark card speech getting through to the masses was so lame.  What about the people who couldn't care less about Supergirl or who hate Supergirl(like Max)? Myriad in general was lame but the way they stopped it was bad, real bad, Michael Jackson.  But this show is all about hope which is supergirl's skeelo, so I get it.  However, I wouldn't trust Maxwell lord flashing symbols to the masses in any way shape or form.  I wonder how many subliminal messages he put in that broadcast?

When everyone's head is about to explode in 4 hours you do not stop at the coffee shop and then go to work.

Kara was completely unmoved by Jimmy's gift and kiss.

I loooooved MM accepting his position  back as head of the DEO and then making it seem like he was going to offer to have Lucy be Co-Head of the DEO but then completely swerved on her.  Best scene of the show.

I loved MM totally strolling around the DEO even though he was supposed to be "captured", ripping Indigo in half and walking around in an apron.

Edited by miracole
  • Love 2

The CGI fighting in the air between Supergirl and Non was pretty bad.  Like really cheaply done bad.

I'm still trying to figure out how J'onn J'onzz managed to brush off the Myriad control and go get Ma Danvers.

That seemed like a pretty big weakness in the whole 'Myriad' scheme of things -- is that what happened to the good people of Argo City when they tried Myriad on Krypton ?

How come ripping Indigo in two kills her ?  Shouldn't she be able to just dissolve into pixels and hop into someone's smartphone or a tablet with WiFi or a walkie-talkie ?

So was this new Kryptonian escape pod trapped in a different Phantom zone -- or did it just take the long way ? If so, where is the crapper on those Betta Fish escape pods ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

While there are plenty of nits to pick, I will start by saying that I appreciated, beyond the telling, of no real cliffhanger, just 'Who/What is in the pod?"  No one on the verge of death. No one estranged from one another in the main cast.  We got to see Kal's boots and a small portion of his legs! ( That last one was sarcastic, in case someone from CBS is reading. Either talk WB into a TV version of Clark or just keep him off-screen, like with the supportive on-line chats. Maybe talk Brandon Routh into being Telephone Clark? What? I like his voice.)

I did enjoy the part where Kara tells Alex to tell Jeremiah that she always wore the glasses. Melissa is wonderful and I love her Kara.

Pop Quiz: The world is going to end in under five minutes- how long do you take to say goodbye to your sister?  ::roll my eyes::

I also get that Kara is relieved after putting Non and Indigo down for the count, but I really disbelieve she'd have a little "We won!" celebration with the fate of the world's humans at stake. Then spend half an hour convincing Alex  to do the laundry list of stuff that was haltingly enumerated. Good gravy. There's building tension and then there's goopy, misplaced sentiment that takes away from the tension.

Still, having most of the cast that I have come to enjoy- even Max and stupid Sam Lane- together and intact at the end of the season is most welcome.

We knew that the cheese could be strong with this show and it can be. It just needs to do like this season but a bit more pulled-together. Like let's mix in something not a sweater set next season. Just because she's Supergirl doesn't mean Kara has to dress like a frump 24/7.

Pod person: The Bottle city of Kandor?

• Love 2

Pod person is going to be Kara's mother. Or at least a reasonable facsimile. My guess.

(Explanation being something like: Krypton needed a failsafe in case Myriad was ever reactivated, so she put herself into hibernation and launched into space, and the pod was set to send her wherever it was activated again. Timing was a little off, obviously.

Or maybe she/it will end up being a female version of Eradicator.)

Edited by Cthulhudrew

I kept waiting for Superman to show up. I mean, why just show his unconscious boots?

I wish they would've stuck with he's off planet as an excuse.  Also, why was he down for the count longer than normal humans who broke the Myriad trance.

Am I wrong or did Kara totally ignore Clark when you she delivered her farewell speech to J'onn?

• Love 5

Man, Myraid ended up being kind of a disappointment.  All it takes for Alex to snap out of it is have J'onn bring mom over (man, he sure recovered from Indigo's "deathblow" real quick), and she reminds her about the power love.  As for the rest, just have Kara/Supergirl give a report about hope, and everyone is back to normal. That's a pretty big flaw there, Non.  And maybe you should't already put your soldiers into sleep mode, until after you deal with Kara and J'onn.  In short, Non sucks as this whole main villain aspect.

Besides that and the whole trying to make Kara and Jimmy happen, I found this fun enough.  I liked how much focus there was with Kara and her relationship with Alex, and how it really is the most important one on this show.  Alex saving Kara at the end was cheesy, but it worked for me.  For all the flaws this show has, at least they have done a good job with Alex/Kara.

I loved how annoyed J'onn was over still be arrested again and then when General Lane finally relents, he just snaps off the hand-cuff, like it was enough.  And now he's the head of the DEO again, so I wonder what this means for Lucy and her time on the show.  And I should have known that showing General Lane being civil everyone means he and Maxwell Lord are up to no good.

Cat finally promotes Kara, even if it's to a windowless office and no pay raise!  Still, for Cat, that means a lot!

So, another Krypotian has crashed the party.  Who could it be?

Hopefully it will get another season, because there is a lot about this show that really works; they just need to tighten-up a lot of things.  But Melissa Benoist alone makes this show worth staying on air.  I'm curious to see where it goes next. And they better bring Barry back for at least one episode.

• Love 5

I don't know why but I found seeing just Kal's boots the whole episode to be hysterical. And I did notice that when Kara came to say goodbye to J'onn she didn't even spare so much as a glance toward Kal. It made little sense that he was affected by Myriad at all (why DIDN'T they just leave him offworld?) but no sense at all that he was still unconscious while all the humans were up and acting as if nothing had happened.

Speaking of Kal being off world part of last episode, how? This one showed Kryptonians apparently can't go into space for some reason. So how was he ever off the Earth, unless he got a ride from Green Lantern or something. Or is it just Kara? She can't fly in space? And neither can J'onn, which I imagine is why he didn't go and help her? In that case, how did he get from Mars to Earth? It's also lucky that a) Alex knows HOW to fly a Kryptonian ship b) the ship wasn't set for just Kryptonians or at least Kara and even responded to her and c) She knew precisely where Kara was.

How much did General Lane say Fort Rozz weighed? Some insane amount. Anyway, Kara managed to lift it all by herself pretty easily. I don't want to ever seen another episode with her struggling with lifting anything again unless kryptonite is involved. 

The fight between Kara and Non was kind of underwhelming. After building him up as such a threat maybe it was always going to be a little disappointing but did Kara really burn his eyes out? And I wasn't clear, was he actually dead or just unconscious. Indigo probably isn't dead either, just deactivated, but please tell me they did not leave her pieces laying around the desert.

As for the pod, my first thought was her mom, but I really want it to be Krypto.

• Love 5

Man, Myraid ended up being kind of a disappointment.  

Yeah, seriously, it just kind of fizzled out -- so what was all the programming/coding everyone was doing fit in ?

Speaking of Kal being off world part of last episode, how? This one showed Kryptonians apparently can't go into space for some reason. So how was he ever off the Earth, unless he got a ride from Green Lantern or something. Or is it just Kara? She can't fly in space? And neither can J'onn, which I imagine is why he didn't go and help her? In that case, how did he get from Mars to Earth? It's also lucky that a) Alex knows HOW to fly a Kryptonian ship b) the ship wasn't set for just Kryptonians or at least Kara and even responded to her and c) She knew precisely where Kara was.

Has it ever been mentioned that Alex as some sort of pilot ? And the Betta Fish can still fly -- how did they even know that ?  It was basically a dust collector at the DEO, and it had crashed.  Why did it crash if it could still fly ?  Wouldn't it have been some sort of auto-pilot controlled landing ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Pod person is going to be Kara's mother. Or at least a reasonable facsimile. My guess.

Didn't the actress only leave the show in the first place because of a scheduling conflict?  Has that been resolved that quickly you think?

I have to say I am most curious as to what Kara will do at work. A columnist, I am assuming. I think she'd make a fab restaurant reviewer.

She can eat whatever she wants and never get fat.

On the other side.... are her tastebuds 100% compatible with Earth tastes?  Do we even know that for sure?  We know SOME stuff she likes eating, but hardly everything.

Speaking of Kal being off world part of last episode, how? This one showed Kryptonians apparently can't go into space for some reason.

I don't think it did show that. I think it did show that Kryptonians don't do well there after being wounded repeatedly with Kryptonite, battling another Kryptonian to a standstill (arguably one with greater strength and superior training, though lacking the protection of being the title character), and single-handedly lifting a hundred million tons of building though Earth's gravity into space (plus the no sleep/no food/general stress low-point she was starting at before any of the rest of it). She had had a pretty busy morning already, and it wouldn't be a hospitable environment if she were at her best. Her running out of resources to draw on in these extraordinary circumstances doesn't mean she couldn't survive in a better-case scenario, though.

Didn't the actress only leave the show in the first place because of a scheduling conflict?  Has that been resolved that quickly you think?

The show she left to do (She Loves Me) is running through at least the beginning of July. That should be workable for filming, right? I can't imagine fitting Alura into the show, though, especially when they've barely used Eliza. There isn't really a place for her, as much as I like Laura Benanti and would like for Kara to get a hug from her mom(s) once in a while.

Indigo probably isn't dead either, just deactivated, but please tell me they did not leave her pieces laying around the desert.

Yeah, there's no way she's dead, but I am wondering how they're going to keep her from fixing herself (assuming they remember to go grab the bits. No way would they forget that.... right?). Brainiacs are notoriously hard to hard to put down permanently.

Edited by justjoan
  • Love 1

Great season finale, could have done without the James/Kara bits though. I find him so useless.

Kara  and Alex are great together and love when there's any scenes with Alex and Lord.

Cat promoting Kara is pretty huge, Kara getting to move on and getting her own office is great, but having her locked up in her own office probably won't last long. She needs to be around Wynn and Cat to hear things and run out of office. She'll probably want to be back at her old desk fast. 

• Love 1

Alex and Max holding hands made me squee- I can't help it. I also got weepy over all the goodbye scenes, even James and Kara. I did see some spark with them today and liked his goofy grin when he was talking about her kissing him.

I was really worried they would kill Hank off- thank goodness the ending was pretty happy. I'm used to all the deaths from Arrow and Flash.

• Love 1

Not a bad episode, although man, they made Superman look horrible.

Cat gave Kara a flashy job that will give her more free time to be Supergirl.

However, I wouldn't trust Maxwell lord flashing symbols to the masses in any way shape or form.  I wonder how many subliminal messages he put in that broadcast?

It better be like in Josie and the Pussycats, he put in a bunch so that everyone will think he's cool.

• Love 2

Didn't the actress only leave the show in the first place because of a scheduling conflict?  Has that been resolved that quickly you think?

Oh- I didn't know that. I thought she was still going to be part of the show (they still have that AI of her mom, right?) I was just speculating based on how this episode dropped some bits about her mom, and her comment about "seeing her soon" (which was in reference to Kara thinking she was dying, but of course if this is her mother in the pod, then it would be foreshadowing).

Maybe it's her dog.

So like I said last week Kara uses her superior speed, flight, super breath, and heat vision to keep her sister at a distance while she comes up with a plan...what do you mean that isn't what happens?   I mean surely to Rao she would not immediately try to engage her more skilled Kryptonite covered sword wielding cousin in close-quarters combat.  *shakes head*.  At least her eventual attempt to trap her cousin with the girder showed her trying to use her head a little, and provided a believable way for Alex to hit her sister with a strong blast of radiation setting up the killing blow.

Fortunately for Kara...J'onn apparently while bleeding to death flew all the way to pick-up Alex's mother and back and is mentally shielding her.  Not only that but while shielding her he also managed to use his powers to scan the entire city for Alex/Kara.  And even better he did all of this while also apparently masking himself from Indigo's presence somehow.  (Remember last episode how she knew the moment he entered the city...don't worry the writers probably forgot about that too).

Originally I was proud of myself for fanwanking that the Kryptonite radiation interfered enough with the Myriad signal waves around Alex allowing her mother to be able to talk her down?  I mean that seems at least plausible compared to her mother just being able to talk her down without needing any kind of special equipment to reach her? *sigh*

I feel another major rant coming on...

Sure the idea of fighting the mind control with Hope was incredibly cliche and Kara's speech made me roll my eyes until they made about 3 complete rotations in my head.   But I had a whole week to prepare myself to accept all that and so I did...

Yet...remember when we were told the plan was to piggy back off the Myriad signal in order to reach people?   You know the Myriad signal which is being beamed directly into people's brains.  That sort of made sense.  If you are beaming two different messages into peoples heads then maybe you could weaken/drown out one with the other.  How the ***** did this become a television message instead?    I mean for starters I would have sworn that most televisions come with an digital only tuner?  So ummm...they would not be picking up her signal?   For that matter how from an old abandoned TV station did they override every single DIGITAL channel in National City?   And what about the people that were not near a TV?  I mean sure Catco as a news place (supposedly) has TVs on everywhere...but what about all the other people at their workplaces.  Most offices do not have a TV running in every room to distract their employees from doing their jobs.   Oh that's right the "S" crest was also beamed to their phones (which Non's mind zombies would be checking why?) .  Because all the people in Catco just snapped right out of their trances when they saw Kara's chest.  That's not even accounting for the fact that just days ago Supergirl was declared a public menace.  Sure she made an effort to save a small group of strangers from being crushed by a helicopter and they responded in kind...but is National City really such a giant hive mind (pre-Myriad) that every single person now views Supergirl as 100% beacon of hope that would be able to break through Myriad's programming?   *bangs head against the wall*

After Myriad is shut down everyone is all happy and thinks its over.  This is why I question as to how much news Catco bothers to investigate...   I mean hello would the Krytonian dictator who was responsible for the mind control not potentially still be a major threat who was likely to do something drastic in retaliation?   Also how was Catco not all over the wave of headaches post brain control?

Nice try show, but just because James claims Superman could not have saved Kelly does not make me believe it.  I mean I would like to think he would have at least TRIED something.  Okay done with this topic and I ranted about this last week and there is soooo much fresh stupidity to rail on this week.

Case in point...Kara mentions that the DEO is currently looking for Non and Indigo.

Waiiiiit a minute...are you actually telling me that Non/Indigo and Fort Roz (where they have clearly always been) are not even anywhere near National City?   Wasn't Max's whole plan centered around dropping a Kryptonite bomb on them?   And he had no clue at all where they were?   So he was just going to bomb the middle of the city, kill Superman and possibly Kara along with a few hundred thousand people...and he had no idea where Non and the signal was actually being broadcast from?!?!  SERIOUSLY SHOW!  It's bad enough that Max came up with this completely terrible plan that was doomed to fail...but even President Carter (schedule permitting) apparently authorized this strike without knowing where Non actually was.  SERIOUSLY.   The only other alternative was that they were going to wait to verify the target...which then meant the casualty estimates and all that angst was a giant crock of BS.  AAAAARGH.   Do these writers work for the Kryptonians?  Are they trying to make my brain explode from an aneurysm?

Apparently Superman is still unconscious for no apparent reason or reason that will ever bother to be explained...because shut up that's why.  In all seriousness though I thought from a creative standpoint this was a potentially bold move to fix a major problem with the show.  Non did something to Kal while he was under his control and thus Superman's absence never has to be addressed again as an issue on this show.   A simple if inelegant fix to get Kara out from under her cousins shadow once and for all as well as maybe add some emotional fallout next season as the world deals with Superman no longer being around, and Kara deals with losing her last biological family member.  Wrong again....Kara is never shown being even a tiny bit worried about her unconscious cousin in this episode for some reason.  Also for some reason they decided to immediately wake him back-up so once again next season we will need to continue to ask why he is not around to deal with a major world threatening terror, or to ever help Kara deal with emotional trauma in person.  Instead they will have to find yet another contrived way to put him out of action repeatedly or ignore the SuperElephant in the room

Hey remember that time that Alex was declared guilty of treason and sentenced to Cadmus....because the writers seemingly forgot that she was a fugitive too as there she is working at the DEO again without anyone batting an eye or any mentions of pardons.

Kara demonstrates that she has a power we never knew about...the power to make jewelry invisible?   We can see Kara's neck in her costume.   You really expect me to believe that she was actually wearing her mother's shiny silver necklace around her neck the whole time.   Nope.

It also bear mentioning that having known the exact moment that all human life on the planet will die...Kara waits until there are under 10 minutes left on the countdown to face Non.   Awesome...

Non's whole army is asleep....well that is absurdly convenient.

How come ripping Indigo in two kills her ?  Shouldn't she be able to just dissolve into pixels and hop into someone's smartphone or a tablet with WiFi or a walkie-talkie ?

Right?  Remember what a big deal it was last time that she was like a living computer virus and not a person?   Apparently no one on the show remembered that.  I mean Kara and Max were lamenting how she would be all alone without back-up...when pretty sure between Winn and Max they probably could have whipped up something to help deal with Indigo in the four hours they had.  

For that matter remember how it was just last episode J'onn whipped her into that shed which blew her up and yet seconds later she reassembled herself none the worse for wear because data can not be destroyed like that ?    Ugh.  So yes J'onn ripping her in half causing her to blow-up was dumb enough....but then she apparently somehow put herself back together in order to die?  Soooo much stupid.   For that matter...did Laura agree to guest star only if she never lost a fight to Melissa?   Once again Supergirl played no part in defeating her...

Didn't the last time Kara used her heat vision for that long that powerful cause her to loose her powers?  (Hint: The answer is yes.  Jimmy even told her that Clark told him that is what happens when you drain your cells of that much solar energy.  She clearly expelled as much energy if not more against Non as she did Red Tornado...)

Yet...Kara who showed tremendous strain lifting the likes of an airplane and skytram car earlier this season having seemingly just used most of her solar energy can suddenly lift a one million ton (per General Lane) prison colony into space.

The hits just keep on coming as Alex suddenly knows how to fly a Kryptonian vessel...which putting aside the absurdity of that out of nowhere development....how did she even get Kara inside the pod?  I mean seriously.  Alex dies if she opens the tiny escape pod.  Also this pod was designed to hold one 13 year old girl...so how did Alex muchless also Kara fit inside?  This is the cockpit...

Kara_Escape_Pod.jpg

Did we miss a scene showing that Kryptonian escape pods have giant robot hands that she used to pluck Kara from space and carry her back to Earth?

Kat gives Kara a promotion to do anything she wants...again there is no way she does not know her secret ID.  Just a few weeks ago she felt the need to hire someone because Kara was not around enough to actually do her job properly.   I am intrigued as to what Kara will choose to do?   I mean surely reporter is just waaaay too obvious and cliche (although obviously it does offer the most story potential)?   Advice columnist?  (*shivers at the memories of Charmed*).  Photographer is likely out.   There is an opening for an Fashion columnist....but Kara hardly seems the one to fill that unless she lets her dark side out to play more.   What else is there that offers story potential?[Q

Nice that Cat finally got "Kara" right . . . assuming "Kira" wasn't on purpose.

Am I imagining things or we not already told by another character that it was done on purpose as a power/status thing?  Not to mention that I believe Cat called her Kara when she was dating Adam.

My first guess is that it is Kara's father Zor-El is in the pod.  I mean this whole season focused on her Mother/Aunt...so it only make sense especially with the Jeremiah story next season that Kara's biological father be involved to create conflict for her?   I think we can rule out her mother?  I mean if the reports are true that the actress essentially screwed them when she had to leave earlier than planned are true...then I do not see why they would consider going back there again so soon?  Kandor just seems too soon after we just dealt with an army of Kryptonians (even if she never had to fight more than 1 at a time).  OMG what if it's Streaky?   How epic would that be...   Her dad built an escape pod for himself or his wife and the cat jumped in and accidentally launched it.

Edited by Xenith22
  • Love 3

I could have done without the cliffhanger at the end, it was totally tacked on and had no context to the ongoing plot, which had just wrapped minutes before.  Just end it with their cheerful celebration dinner already.  Why do these shows always feel compelled to make every season ending a cliffhanger?  Are you that insecure that you think people won't come back if there isn't some big reveal coming?  Sheesh.

Another nitpick.  There are three minutes left until 7 billion heads explode, but you have time for a long heartfelt goodbye call to your sister?  Really?  When you have a giant space station to get off the ground and launch into orbit?  Did you account for flight time?  Oi.

Glad to see MM kick some ass finally.  I agree with the comments about killing Indigo that way when she can just decompose herself like the liquid metal terminator, but whatever.  MM gets a win.

And Cat finally called Kira Kara.

Overall I enjoyed Supergirl a lot and I liked the tone of the finale.  The show is fun and has heart, so I can ignore the flaws.  I'll be on board again next season.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 5

Ah Supergirl.  So much to love, so much to snark on.  The "hope conquers mind control" was so cheesy it belongs on Mystery Science Theater 3000.  But I've gotta admit, the subliminal flashing of the "S" was pretty cool, even though I didn't catch it at first.  And after spending much of the last two episodes as the "Martian Pin Cushion," nice to see J'onn get a solid win for a change, no matter how contrived.  Note to writers: maybe next year we can go an entire season without seeing an opponent hovering over either MM or Kara and about to deliver a kill strike?  It kinda loses all suspense after awhile since we know the leads ain't gonna die.  And...seriously show, not even a throwaway line about why Supes was out longer than anybody else???  Dude is totally useless, yo.  And several posters have already noted why Kara's escape pod as rescue wagon was all kinds of nonsensical.  I have a strong hunch SG will be renewed, but the key to this show's success will be finding writers that really "get" the sci-fi genre.  Much as I've come to love this show, sitting through another uneven season like this would be rough.

• Love 1

Oh- I didn't know that. I thought she was still going to be part of the show (they still have that AI of her mom, right?) I was just speculating based on how this episode dropped some bits about her mom, and her comment about "seeing her soon" (which was in reference to Kara thinking she was dying, but of course if this is her mother in the pod, then it would be foreshadowing).

Maybe it's her dog.

She was going to still be part of the show, no matter what, but as the hologram she didn't have to act with other characters. She could basically walk a few blocks over from her Broadway theater to some New York studio and do her part there.

And...seriously show, not even a throwaway line about why Supes was out longer than anybody else???  Dude is totally useless, yo.  And several posters have already noted why Kara's escape pod as rescue wagon was all kinds of nonsensical.  I have a strong hunch SG will be renewed, but the key to this show's success will be finding writers that really "get" the sci-fi genre.  Much as I've come to love this show, sitting through another uneven season like this would be rough.

Just me or was that horrible? You have all hit on all the issues but two things that irked me. This was sold by the show runners as a "death" that will make you cry. So.. they lied. That irks me.  I did not cry at Indigo. And secondly was anyone really offended on Supergirl's behalf that she "has no back up".  I mean, she is Supergirl. She doesn't need back up and Superman is never told he has no back up. I thought the way this might be going is that it was Kara's first solo test. That until now she had the DEO, or John Jones or her sister but this time, it was just her.  But no, she is the ultimate in co dependent. At first I liked this series because of the teamwork aspect but when you can't accomplish things without the team... and your Supergirl... you need to see a therapist for self esteem issues.

I think Cat clearly knows about Kara being Supergirl and was pronouncing her name wrong on purpose.  It is a sign of respect that she is pronouncing it right now.

I thought the cliff hanger lame. I don't care who or what is in the pod.

• Love 1

If I never ever again have to watch an episode of television where someone says about mind control, "Fight it! I know you can beat it. I know you can do it. I believe in you!" it will be too damn soon. What an awful cliched start to the episode. Oh, and the fight between sisters that never had to happen? Yeah, I fast forwarded through it.

I very much doubt it was the writers' intention but every time they had a scene in that sickbay with Superman's boots in shot, I started laughing. It's like his feet were photo bombing every scene. I kept putting a mental bubble with the words "This show's Superman problem" on it with a giant wacky multi-coloured arrow. This is a serious episode, you guys. Oh look, there's Superman's feet!

Also unintentionally hilarious - the "heads will explode" plot and the awful CGI fight between Supergirl and Non.

There was some nice moments in this and Melissa Benoist knocked what she had out of the park. But, yeah, she deserves better and I really hope we're done.

• Love 1

So, Myriad Was kind of like the imperius curse, where if you try real hard you can throw it off. And Harry, I mean Kara, has what Voldemort I mean Non doesn't have, which is love! It all fits together much better if you think they're borrowing from Harry Potter. A wizard did it.

• Love 2

If I never ever again have to watch an episode of television where someone says about mind control, "Fight it! I know you can beat it. I know you can do it. I believe in you!" it will be too damn soon. What an awful cliched start to the episode. Oh, and the fight between sisters that never had to happen? Yeah, I fast forwarded through it.

This show maintains more good than bad, but as I said even before the episode aired... that particular trope, and the cliched dialogue that follows it around, is AGONIZING to me. Also, besides the "I know you can beat it" line, there's also always some variation of "this isn't you! and/or "you don't really want to do this!"
  • Love 4

And secondly was anyone really offended on Supergirl's behalf that she "has no back up".  I mean, she is Supergirl. She doesn't need back up and Superman is never told he has no back up.

Supergirl did need backup - without J'onn there she would have lost.  Superman would have lost too if he had gone there solo.  If the fate of the world hangs in the balance you take all of the help you can get and don't quibble about nonsense like how some douchebag is belittling your competency. 

Speaking of which, it will look really bad if Alex decides that this means Max is an OK guy after all.  This was pure self-preservation.  Besides, the weakest part of the series has been all of the romantic plots. 

If they ever do a hope/love/etc. conquers all storyline again then they better bring in the appropriate Lantern.   Otherwise it is just stupid.

I was actually expecting CGI Superman to fetch Kara from orbit but from the way the chat session was phrased it seemed like that was their first conversation since the whole thing started.  Geez Clark, you couldn't be bothered to check on your world saving cousin in person?

Pod person: The Bottle city of Kandor?

This is actually a very interesting suggestion. It would be a real fake-out, it arriving inside a pod like that.

Not that I'm not half-expecting it next season anyway. Despite the Max/Gen. Lane stuff, I do still think we're due a new overall Big Bad next season. And unless Synder has Brainiac on the "reserved" list for the next solo Superman movie (assuming there will even be another one), then he'd be free for Supergirl. And basically where you get Kandor, you typically get Brainiac, so my expectation has kind of been that Brainiac (like in the comics from many of the better reboots) already has Kandor in his possession. Traditionally Kara's parents are in Kandor--but in this case that would require Kandor somehow being stolen precisely in those few seconds after Kara's pod took over and the explosion. 

• Love 1

I came here to see what the comments would be about Jimmy & Kara, and surprisingly, at this point, 99.9% of the posts didn't even mention them. What wasn't said actually says a lot. I think she sparkles and he is so flat. I see no chemistry between them at all. They need to keep Jimmy with Lucy. That actress has enough chemistry for both of them.

• Love 3

I'm still at teh first few mins of the ep and already frustrated by all the leaps of logic I have to make. Were Indigo and Non really just standing passively around their lair while Supergirl chatted on TV? It wouldve been the perfect time to jump up, fly, and kill her while she's unsuspecting. They just sat around and let her passively reach everyone? Weird.

I was very moved when Kara said her goodbyes. And you know something? I was thinking with her, that if she didnt survive, for her it wouldnt be all that bad. She'd be back with her mom and family. No one wants to die; but she doesnt have any loved ones on this planet, and her mission - protecting Superman - stopped existing before she landed. So if she died saving the world, she'd be in a better place afterwards. But fortunately that didnt happen :D

• Love 1

No one wants to die; but she doesnt have any loved ones on this planet, and her mission - protecting Superman - stopped existing before she landed.

?!?!?!  She absolutely has loved ones on Earth unless you think she's lying every time she says I love you to Alex.  She also loves the rest of the main cast and Eliza to varying degrees and apparently Superman has a really weak mind so he might still need some protecting.

Speaking of which, did they ever did the introductions between Cat, Alex, and Eliza.  What an amazing coincidence to have the other Danvers around during the crisis.  It's a good thing she snagged the "normal" one as her assistant.

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Love 4

I have a feeling the "tacked-on, who's in the pod" ending, would not have been included were the series not coming back. If it weren't, they would have stuck with the "happy" ending. Fringe did something similar at the end of season 4 for the same reason...

I enjoyed this. I'm gonna head canon that Kara was too tired and injured to handle the vacuum of space. As was Jonn.

So I guess the kryptonian army are just sleeping in space right above the earth until Clark has time to go get them...or something. I don't know.

It was fucking bizarre that during all these long goodbyes Kara never once said goodbye, or tell someone to give Clark her love. He's sleeping, not dead and he might have been a wee bit upset to wake up to his dead cousin.

• Love 5