Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Klick

• Start Topic

Love when Ernesto, walking away from Jimmy, says, "I miss the mail room."

Well, they had to let Jimmy have a temporary get out of jail free card, so we could have the big confession at the end.

Gag.

Also, how did Chuck get the note to the Ken Doll (who only exists for plot points like this) when he has no phone to call someone to deliver it?  Or all the tinfoil crap, for that matter?

GAWD.

Seriously, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here.  I'm just bummed and venting.  I had such high hopes for this show.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

I am beyond bored with the weird dependency between Jimmy and Chuck. There is a time to cut your losses and walk away. Like watching a couple of drowning men hold tight to one another, when if one would let go, they would both have the chance to swim to safety. Your move Jimmy, but no, he cannot untie his Gordian knot.

Ok, your choice, but let us leave them to it, and concentrate on Mike and Hector, a far more rewarding effort.

Who left the branch and the note? Who trailed Mike, so successfully? I was sure last week that Hector would torture then kill that driver, because I have spent time in Gilligan world. But why not take the kill shot...he could have offed Nacho and Hector in one shot? Who else knows that Mike has trouble pulling the trigger, because leaving a note that says "Don't" on a car windshield some hundreds of yards away from Mike's position suggests someone who already has a read on the guy. 

Nacho is running a sideline operation...has he shared that info with his distributor? Gus, Is that you??

• Love 3

I liked this. I didn't know what electrical device Chuck had pulled from the garage, nor did I immediately suspect he was pulling a con on Jimmy when we see all the foil in the living room. But the moment we see Jimmy looking remorseful, I figured Chuck was setting him up and had a recorder hidden. I don't mind that it wasn't some big surprise. I don't rate the quality of a show or movie based on how big the surprises are.

I liked the FB. Their mother calling out for Jimmy while unaware of Chuck was sad for Chuck, but it's just another bit of evidence of why he's so resentful of Jimmy. As Tommy Smothers said, "Mom always liked you best!"

I felt so bad for Chuck when he was in the ER with the doctors shining lights in his eyes, setting him up for an EEG, etc. The way this was filmed was so good. I'm sure he felt like he was being tortured. And then to be inserted into the MRI machine and have to endure that? I get pissed at Chuck so much, but I couldn't help but feel for him.

Loved Jimmy's commercial. It came out better than I anticipated. "Gimme Jimmy!" is a great line. It's not exactly indicative of a respectable law firm, but it clearly does the job.

As for Mike's story, I was so tense as he lay in wait to shoot Hector. I figured he would be prevented from shooting him, but that didn't matter. Oh, and I loved that shot of him where you see his eye magnified thru the scope. I noticed the insect buzz stopped, and I wondered if my TV sound went out. And then there was the car horn. So I like that whoever put the note on his windshield causes the bugs to stop making noise. Very subtle and cool.

The handwriting on that note looked familiar. Didn't we see something like that in BB?

How long until S3?

• Love 12

Chuck didn't have the same doctor while in the ER - we heard a male voice from Chuck's perspective while he was being treated in the ER.

He had the same doc once he was admitted and on the medical floor - probably because Jimmy called her in because of her history with Chuck and his condition.

And I totally buy Jimmy falling for Chuck's con.  One, Jimmy would never think Chuck would actively submit himself to using an electrical appliance.  And two, in Jimmy's eyes, Chuck is scrupulously honest and above board - Chuck would NEVER pull a con on someone.  Never.  And up until now everything Chuck has done to keep Jimmy down was done using surrogates - mainly Howard.  Chuck has never stomped on Jimmy personally.

I just really hate that we have to wait 10 months to see the fallout of Chuck's tape and Mike's note.

• Love 21

I love jim beaver! Forever and ever. You name it, if you put jim beaver in it, I'll be there!

Me too! I adored him in "Deadwood" and "Supernatural."

I enjoyed Chuck's "torture" at the hospital. He is such a small, mean, petty man.

• Love 7

I felt so bad for Chuck when he was in the ER with the doctors shining lights in his eyes, setting him up for an EEG, etc. The way this was filmed was so good. I'm sure he felt like he was being tortured. And then to be inserted into the MRI machine and have to endure that? I get pissed at Chuck so much, but I couldn't help but feel for him.

I thought that scene was masterfully crafted...the whole scene being upside down and all.  You could almost feel Chuck's anguish. 

That being said, this was probably my least favorite episode of the season.  I was expecting some big surprise at the end and we get Chuck double-crossing Jimmy, which was telegraphed from a mile away.  Big surprise--only not.  I really thought it was a let down.

• Love 6

I love this show but I hated that I expected that and Jimmy didn't.

Maybe "Klick" as in the sound of the recorder being pressed? Not sure why it'd be spelt like that, though.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

Clearly I'm an idiot . What is meant by the title "Klick?"

To measure length of a shot.  Military talk, shorthand for kilometer.

Oh, I forgot to add the horn only Mike could hear.  Ever been in the hills like that?  Sound echos.

Good point on calling the doctor in much later, I'll take that one back.

So disappointed though.

AND another season of Chuck.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2

I've been a holdout on Chuck because I like the fact that Gilligan gives us complicated characters. But now even I hate Chuck.

I would have been mildly disappointed if this was a middle of the season episode.  As a season finale, it's definitely an "F". The pacing was much too slow, and there was little forward movement, even in the major story arcs.  I mean, come on: Mike buys a rifle. Mike aims the rifle. Mike doesn't fire the rifle. In other news, Kim gets coffee. See you next season, Mike and Kim!

• Love 5

Am I the only one who involuntarily said out loud "click" when Jimmy left and Chuck rose to turn off the recorder?

I liked it. I think any writer who can make as many people angry as are on this thread is a good writer. Just my opinion. But then I'm one of those evil artists who paints pictures of people's relatives that make them cry. Heh.

Ernesto would also be happier as Jimmy & Kim's receptionist.

So. No wheelchair ending.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 12

Am I the only one who involuntarily said out loud "click" when Jimmy left and Chuck rose to turn off the recorder?

I liked it. I think any writer who can make as many people angry as are on this thread is a good writer. Just my opinion. But then I'm one of those evil artists who paints pictures of people's relatives that make them cry. Heh.

Ernesto would also be happier as Jimmy & Kim's receptionist.

So. No wheelchair ending.

Except that's not it.

I'm angry because I know what this team can do, and they aren't even coming close to doing that.  They are several dozen Klicks away from even seeing the dust on the shoes of their previous glory.

• Love 3

I'm not too angry at the episode, but I didn't love it either.  I thought there was too much Chuck at times, but the main thing I am just annoyed with is that -- especially after that craptacular Walking Dead season finale/cliffhanger from hell a couple of weeks ago -- I didn't want to have to wait another 10 months to finally get a glimpse of Gus.  But it is what it is.  I'll live.

I actually felt bad for Chuck at times.  Don't get me wrong -- I think he is a jerk to his brother, and often it is unwarranted even if he knows exactly how his brother operates -- but I can see how he began to develop such resentment.  Sitting by his mom's deathbed, only to have her call out for Jimmy instead of Chuck, would be painful.  That doesn't mean I want to see multiple episodes revolving around Chuck, though.

I'm going to guess that the Hector/wheelchair storyline will come up in Season 3.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

"Klick" is also the sound of a metronome, a pendulum, a switch that you flick on and then back off again. All season long, that's been the main symbol for who Jimmy is: this man who bounces back and forth between profound loyalty and incorrigible shadiness. That's why it didn't bother me that Chuck's deception wasn't a surprise -- because it wasn't really supposed to be; it was more like the inevitable result of Jimmy's basic nature, that he was going to (klick) screw over his brother in the most elaborately devious way possible and then (klick) confess the whole thing in the hopes of making amends.

The tragic thing is, if he could stay at either extreme, he'd be fine -- he could be a respected associate at Davis & Main, or he could be a shitball who cheated his way to his own law firm and then locked his meddling brother away in a mental institution. It's because he can't just be good and he can't just break bad that he's constantly swinging from one disaster to the next.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 20

I actually felt bad for Chuck at times.  Don't get me wrong -- I think he is a jerk to his brother, and often it is unwarranted even if he knows exactly how his brother operates -- but I can see how he began to develop such resentment.  Sitting by his mom's deathbed, only to have her call out for Jimmy instead of Chuck, would be painful.  That doesn't mean I want to see multiple episodes revolving around Chuck, though.

That scene was the key to Chuck for me. We saw him cry and then not just hide his feelings, but bury them--to his own detriment. That is probably the root of his electricity phobia. Jimmy going out for food was the nurturing duty of the death watch that allowed Chuck to stay, but Chuck disdained it. And then when Chuck lied to Jimmy about their mother calling his name (never mind that he could have probably called Jimmy back into the room before she died!) it set us up for Chuck screwing Jimmy in the end.

Was there any talk on the Talking about the decision to leave Jimmy as Jimmy and not Saul?

• Love 9

"Klick" is a kilometer.

"Click" is the sound a metronome makes, or the sound you get turning off that kind of tape recorder, or a light switch.

They needed a "K" for their little clue that didn't pay off.  Even though we all know

Gus, or a Gus minion rode in on an eagle to leave it on Mike's car, so Gus can kill Hector himself after he makes Hector suffer enough.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1

That scene was the key to Chuck for me. We saw him cry and then not just hide his feelings, but bury them--to his own detriment. That is probably the root of his electricity phobia. Jimmy going out for food was the nurturing duty of the death watch that allowed Chuck to stay, but Chuck disdained it. And then when Chuck lied to Jimmy about their mother calling his name (never mind that he could have probably called Jimmy back into the room before she died!) it set us up for Chuck screwing Jimmy in the end.

Was there any talk on the Talking about the decision to leave Jimmy as Jimmy and not Saul?

I am watching Talking Saul again now, just to see if I missed anything G&G said the first time, and I don't think they said too much -- if anything -- about keeping Jimmy as Jimmy for a while longer than planned.  It may still come up again, but it hasn't yet.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

One interesting thing on Talking Saul is that Jonathan Banks is asking Gilligan and Gould, essentially, when is enough going to be enough between Jimmy and Chuck.  He thinks there should be a point at which the forgiveness should end and people should not forgive anymore, family or not.

Then again, Jonathan also said that if it were up to him, there would be a lot more murder on the show.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 15

Eh,my major complaint was that it ended the season; Jimmy getting out of this jam has gigantic humor potential, especially since Chuck has now has had any micron of sympathy stripped away from him. The humorous effect (which is what the writers should completely aspire to in resolving this arc) will be lessened by a 10 month break.

• Love 3

The episode was fine on its own merits. It only really fails as a finale (nothing's really wrapped up in any storyline), and maybe due to frustrations with certain characters (all the non-Chuck fans out there). This may have only worked best as a penultimate episode, since everything seems to crescendo-ing into something final or mindblowing. But we won't know for sure until about 10 months from now. Good to hear on Talking that they are already in Day 10 of writing for Season 3.

But despite me just saying this wasn't a good finale, another issue was it being written as a "season finale". The first season ended ambiguously written as either a season or series finale. If, in the most unlikely of events, that season had failed, we could all imagine that Jimmy drove off into the sunset and immediately changed his name to Saul Goodman and became a crooked lawyer. There's no ambiguity this time. Season 3 must happen, and is being written as we speak (or at least a few hours from now). We need to find out what's up with that "DON'T" note, how Chuck's fight to disbar Jimmy will affect his career, what's going to happen with Kim (who's more of a presence this time around) and other details. This isn't the most open-ended of season finales, but it's up there. And I think that's where my little bit of frustrations lie.

I'm okay with cliffhangers and little "oh no they didn'ts", but I still prefer some measure of finality in my season finales. This episode brought none of that. And there doesn't appear to have been any neat visual touches that I recall, which might be an issue to those who watch for the artistry in addition to the entertainment.

----

Talking about the episode, instead of complaining about it (I give it 9.9 out of 10 - a new low for the series...), I think Lawson (Jim Beaver) might be Gus' inside man. Nacho, who's a self-server wanting to stick out on his own, doesn't seem the type for Gus to get involved with. But I could see the Fring Organization contracting Lawson to get a lay of the land at least in terms of who's who in the purchasing of illegal firearms business. It pains me to think that, because I don't know if he'd break client confidentiality, but it's the only thing that seems to fit.

We know Gus has a blood vendetta against Hector Salamanca (the murderer of his Pollo Hermano), so it makes sense that he keeps a close eyes on Hector's activities. That and they both appear to be operating out of Albuquerque at the moment, and Gus is probably working with the Cartels on distribution of product. So, even if Hector forgot about Mike, Gus probably didn't, and has been appraised in his car on Mike's latest activities. If Lawson is the man giving him info, then he knows that Mike had attempted to purchase a sniper rifle once, and then successfully purchased it a second time.

So, he has his top man (whomever that may be, but we'll probably find out soon enough) tail Mike and leave that note should Mike attempt to assassinate Salamanca. Why? I'm not sure. To prevent an all-out Cartel bloodbath, perhaps, or maybe just keep Hector alive for Gus's methodical revenge fantasy to come true eight years later. I can imagine a Season 3 without Gus Fring, if they are unable to sign Mr. Esposito. But I can't imagine it without the Fring Organization , as all signs point to them being a major player next season and probably already at this point.

• Love 4

On the whole, I've enjoyed the season but I do understand the, "too slow," complaints. Breaking Bad always moved slow too, but there was a clear momentum that would build and build into an explosive finishes. Here, everything in season two is a build-up to season three which is a writing tool I never like. Chuck and Jimmy's war will continue, Mike will inch deeper into the criminal world. Considering that's where we started the season at, it makes everything else that happened feel somewhat pointless. For example, Jimmy spend way too much time in that law firm.

I feel like this episode should have been the mid-way point. AMC apparently wanted thirteen episodes, the writers wanted ten, and this is one time I agree with the network. The season feels like it's missing its climax. 

• Love 10

Regarding Mike's sniper mission, two things. If you've ever hunted, you know getting a clear shot is a constant problem. The way snipers so easily acquire clear targets in movies and television strains credulity for me to a much larger extent. Second, sound really does travel sporadically in that terrain. If the shack was at a lower elevation than the car, with a ridge between them, it is predictable that the horn would not be audible at the shack.

• Love 13

One interesting thing on Talking Saul is that Jonathan Banks is asking Gilligan and Gould, essentially, when is enough going to be enough between Jimmy and Chuck.  He thinks there should be a point at which the forgiveness should end and people should not forgive anymore, family or not.

Then again, Jonathan also said that if it were up to him, there would be a lot more murder on the show.

That's it. Vince Gilligan has had a great run as showrunner for Breaking Bad and the first two seasons, but he should go help out on the X-Files or whatever. Let's have Jonathan Banks as the new head writer for Better Call Saul.

• Love 4

I think that Jimmy's going to look back and figure that either Chuck is really, really sick and needs help or Chuck is setting him up. I'll bet he'll call the doctor back and say that he's concerned for Chuck and start the paperwork to have him committed. He'll call Howard and tell him that he is doing this reluctantly because of Chuck behavior. He'll talk to everyone about poor Chuck who is turning more and more paranoid. Then Chuck, who has been spending the last week making sure that all of the i's were dotted and t's crossed on the letter to the bar association openly accuses Jimmy. Everyone thinks omg Jimmy's right, he really is losing it. The lawyers use the tape recording at Chuck's commitment hearing against Chuck. 

• Love 9

Regarding Mike's sniper mission, two things. If you've ever hunted, you know getting a clear shot is a constant problem. The way snipers so easily acquire clear targets in movies and television strains credulity for me to a much larger extent. Second, sound really does travel sporadically in that terrain. If the shack was at a lower elevation than the car, with a ridge between them, it is predictable that the horn would not be audible at the shack.

Yes, and Gus, or his minion, has a PhD in sound engineering who knew it wouldn't bounce of that nearby cliff.

Also, why was Mike even killing Hector?  He has ninja skills at tracking him, through the dusty desert no less, and not be spotted too!  He must be following him 24-7, Mike doesn't need no stinkin' sleep!  Wouldn't the cousins or any of the other gang suspect Mike, or at least consider it, and off his grand-daughter just in case?  Mike's car wouldn't kick up dust when he was leaving?  We saw, many times, just how far away approaching cars can be seen in that desert.  They'd know which direction the shot came from too, by the way Hector fell.  Now, maybe they would be too busy taking cover to chase the old guy immediately, but they'd damn sure recover soon enough when they saw the dust.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

Oh, and perhaps I'm weird, but I thought the writers were going for humor in the cold open. I laughed out loud when Mom moaned "Jimmy!". Human relationships really can be hilariously absurd.

• Love 4
I think Lawson (Jim Beaver) might be Gus' inside man. Nacho, who's a self-server wanting to stick out on his own, doesn't seem the type for Gus to get involved with.

True, though Nacho is a lot more level headed than the other cartel folks we've seen, which might appeal to Gus.

I did wonder whether Nacho was deliberately shielding Hector to prevent Mike from taking the shot.

• Love 5

Maybe we will find out that Gus sent Victor to leave the note for Mike.  Was Victor working for Gus several years pre-BB days?  Was Tyrus always working for Gus -- or did he just join in later on down the line?

In any case, the Gus Fring Presence will be felt in Season 3, even if it is not Gus himself.  Gilligan and Gould all but straight out admitted that the note would likely be Gus-related (from someone in his camp).

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Maybe we will find out that Gus sent Victor to leave the note for Mike.  Was Victor working for Gus several years pre-BB days?  Was Tyrus always working for Gus -- or did he just join in later on, down the line?

In any case, the Gus Fring Presence will be felt in Season 3, even if it is not Gus himself.  Gilligan and Gould all but straight out admitted that the note would likely be Gus-related (from someone in his camp).

Hopefully the first thing Gus does is lock Chuck in an electricity filled room for a week, blasting sun lamps, and loud music at him, plugging in every electrical appliance made by 2003, while Chuck is tied with live electrical cords, until Gus mercifully kills him after telling him he was the worst son ever, only his rottenness as a brother eclipses that achievement, and oh by the way, hell has electricity too.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 5

All you need to have done is gone deer hunting in mountainous terrain a few times. It's a well known phenomena.

I said last week that Mike would likely try to intervene in the truck driver's execution. More importantly, Mike's grandaughter is in danger as long as Tio is alive; once a guy like Tio has leveraged you once, he'll do it again.

• Love 5

Chuck is trying to build a Faraday cage in the middle of his house. His Doctor is trying to commit him. He sent his retirement papers in and he's told Jimmy that it was over. He was saying that he would have never made that mistake when he was younger and he was losing his mind. Everything Chuck was saying sounded like he was was depressed and was planning to commit suicide

Jimmy was concerned for his mentally ill brother and lied through his teeth to try to keep him from killing himself. Jimmy told Chuck something like you got it right, I can't believe it, you got everything exactly right. That sounds to me like someone trying to humor an ill brother rather than a confession.

"I didn't know what to do. My brother is ill. He just got out of the hospital. I came back and there was tin foil all over the place. He's getting worse. He kept saying that it was over. He couldn't do it anymore. He was losing his mind. He kept making wild accusations. I was afraid he was going to do something desperate if I didn't do something. I figured if I just agreed with him he might get better." 

Did anyone else laugh when as soon as Jimmy's commercial was over the next commercial had the word weasel across the screen.  

This, 1000%.  I too am a little disappointed in the finale, because it feels like more sideways non-progress; Chuck really needs to fade out of the story so we can continue with Jimmy/Saul's story, but this finale seems to suggest we're going to waste even more time on Chuck in season 3.  I hope Gilligan and Co. realize that we're all pretty much done with Chuck.  McKean has done a fantastic job, but so did Giancarlo Esposito in BB- and Fring was at least written off when the time was right, before overstaying his welcome.

But you are dead on right: there is a gigantic mountain of evidence that Chuck is just a mentally ill lawyer losing his faculties and handling it badly.  When I was watching, I did suspect something was up with Chuck- he suddenly got a weaselly look on his face when Jimmy had left the previous time, before going into the garage- and noticed that at no time did Jimmy really confess (although I also agree with a lot of posters that even then, Jimmy would have been smarter and kept to his story).  As you say, his statement of how Chuck "got it all right, every detail, amazing!" just sounds like a worried man trying to cheer up his sick brother, and even his final statement when Chuck said "You do realize you just confessed to felony" is "I *guess*... but you do feel better, right?!".  

What bar association, much less Howard, would waste time when there's soooo much evidence that Chuck is losing his faculties, and the only "evidence" against Jimmy is a man apparently trying to comfort his mentally and medically ill brother?  His partner Howard, HHM employees including Ernesto, the doctor who's seen him twice now- pretty much everyone Chuck and Jimmy know all see a guy who has a crippling mental illness.  The story will be simply that Howard called Jimmy, Jimmy rushes to his brother who's acting literally insane, and says anything to keep him calm before heading back to Howard.  To the world Jimmy will seem an almost saintly brother.  Hell, we the audience know the truth and even then, we still don't care and hate Chuck.

But yeah... I was hoping for more out of this finale.  If we were going to spend the whole episode on Chuck, this should have been his "Face Off"; I honestly thought that he'd end up institutionalized by episode's end. Instead, we get no Fring, no real hint of the next phase in Jimmy's journey, and for me a general sense that this whole season was just pointless treading water.  At times beautifully written, acted, and filmed, but still... treading water.

• Love 12

hincandenza

As you say, his statement of how Chuck "got it all right, every detail, amazing!" just sounds like a worried man trying to cheer up his sick brother, and even his final statement when Chuck said "You do realize you just confessed to felony" is "I *guess*... but you do feel better, right?!".

I so hope you are right about all of that.  First scene, Jimmy shuts Chuck's plan down, he even has the added benefit of an MD telling him to commit Chuck.  "I just told him what he needed to hear, I was afraid he might kill himself." 

Jimmy keeps his license, and with any luck, we don't have to listen to continue to Chuck drone on about how harmed he's been by Jimmy anymore.

Then again, I'm just about Pollyanna'd out with these guys.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

Also, in mountains like that, which I hike in frequently, it is pretty common that two dirt road might have two points which are fairly close together, but if two vehicles, one on each road, were to meet a point of intersection, there may be 10-15 miles or more to cover.

• Love 4

I think that Jimmy's going to look back and figure that either Chuck is really, really sick and needs help or Chuck is setting him up. I'll bet he'll call the doctor back and say that he's concerned for Chuck and start the paperwork to have him committed. He'll call Howard and tell him that he is doing this reluctantly because of Chuck behavior. He'll talk to everyone about poor Chuck who is turning more and more paranoid. Then Chuck, who has been spending the last week making sure that all of the i's were dotted and t's crossed on the letter to the bar association openly accuses Jimmy. Everyone thinks omg Jimmy's right, he really is losing it. The lawyers use the tape recording at Chuck's commitment hearing against Chuck. 

Awesome.  I have two hopes for season 3: that your prediction is exactly right, and that it all happens in the first 10 minutes of season 3, episode 1. :)

• Love 3

Awesome.  I have two hopes for season 3: that your prediction is exactly right, and that it all happens in the first 10 minutes of season 3, episode 1. :)

A nice little teaser. Then we cut to the opening credits and the real episode begins.

• Love 1

Hopefully the first thing Gus does is lock Chuck in an electricity filled room for a week, blasting sun lamps, and loud music at him, plugging in every electrical appliance made by 2003, while Chuck is tied with live electrical cords, until Gus mercifully kills him after telling him he was the worst son ever, only his rottenness as a brother eclipses that achievement, and oh by the way, hell has electricity too.

Hee hee!  See, now that would be unexpected.  Just as I never expected any direct Mike-Salamanca interaction on this show, I certainly wouldn't expect any Gus-Chuck interaction.  But I wouldn't put it past the writers to figure out a way to have them cross paths somehow.

Patrick Fabian said that since he didn't get the storyline he wanted for Howard in Season 2 -- which was for Howard to become a drug runner hanging out with "go-go girls" -- he thinks that Howard's story in Season 2 will be that he wants to get back at Jimmy right along with Chuck.  And he thinks that Howard was very hurt by Kim leaving, so that will play into it.  So that's what you can look forward to with Howard in 2017 -- he decides to get mad and possibly join Chuck in going after Jimmy.

Edited by Sherry67

My guess is that Lance is suddenly going to become a lot more important than anybody thought. Chuck will take the tape to the proper authorities who will have to do some sort of investigation. Lance might have been willing to stonewall a crazy person, but if he gets subpoenaed (I know nothing about the law so I'm not sure if that's even possible), he'd probably crack and tell the truth. Which leads Jimmy to need Nacho to shake the guy and have him back off his testimony, which leads Jimmy needing to do a favor for Nacho, etc.   

• Love 1

I kind of agree with Jonathan Banks -- at which point is enough going to be enough between Chuck and Jimmy, and when will they just stop forgiving and move on?  I know that I am just getting tired of seeing the same dynamic between them repeating itself over and over, where Chuck is bitter and upset, and Jimmy is hurt, etc.  It never ends.  Maybe if a whole season passes in which Jimmy is off doing his own thing with his own clients, and Chuck is doing his own thing, and they never see each other, it could break up some of the monotony of their relationship a bit and give a bit more dimension to Chuck other than just being angry and bitter.  They need a break from each other.

• Love 8

I'm not feeling all that jazzed about the cliffhanger or the decision to end the episode on that note, but I didn't have a problem with the episode in and of itself. If there had been another episode or two this season it would have seemingly fit a bit better. Though I may change my mind later. I remember not being thrilled with the season 3 cliffhanger on Breaking Bad but it doesn't bother me having seen how it all plays out.

I doubt they were expecting people to figure out the "Fring's Back" easter egg... given that it was cracked it seems like a miscalculation to not have had Fring return in this episode. They probably should have just denied it was intentional until Gus' return was fully unveiled. But it does make me think that ultimately it's Fring who puts Hector in the wheelchair. That puts a whole new light on his visits. And Fring couldn't let Mike mess up his big plans for Hector.

• Love 2

^^ I can picture that -- Gus has his own plans for Hector, and doesn't want Mike interfering.  And yet he sees (or will see) the value in keeping Mike as an ally and joining forces against Hector.  They probably try to kill Hector, and somehow just end up putting him in a wheelchair instead.

Gilligan and Gould definitely said that they underestimated fans -- they didn't expect anyone to figure out FRINGS BACK until they told them that they put it there.  They didn't think anyone would figure it out without being told.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I think whether one likes this show is largely dependent if they prefer a character driven drama where any action is almost incidental... like The Wire or The Sopranos or more of a pure action show like The Shield, 24, The Walking Dead.  Personally, I think the show does well integrating a decent amount of action into a show that takes place in a law office setting without stretching the limits of cinematic poetic license where you wonder how can so much happen in such a short period of time.  Breaking Bad did a good job of bridging this gap... but compared to Saul its characters are more broadly drawn and the focus is slightly more tilted towards the intrigue and plot twists than exploring the subtleties of the human soul.  If you approach the show expecting it to be more like Mad Men or Six Feet Under instead of anticipating excitement every episode, then you will find the occasional jolt of adrenaline to be a welcome surprise rather than be constantly in a state of having action sequence blue balls waiting for something to happen.

I'm guessing that Jimmy becomes Saul as a compromise with his brother who agrees not to have him disbarred if he relinquishes any claim to the family name.

I'm with the rest of you who don't believe Jimmy would have fallen for his shenanigans... especially after having been betrayed before.

It's time to promote this show to at least 12 or 13 episodes... Bob's not Benjamin Button after all.

• Love 17

I'm guessing that Jimmy becomes Saul as a compromise with his brother who agrees not to have him disbarred if he relinquishes any claim to the family name.

This makes sense.

And/or...I asked on another thread:

Did Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad actually practice law? Or was he just a guy who knew the law and did the paperwork (when necessary) for the clients to file their own papers? Did we actually see him acting as an attorney in a way that it is required to have a license to practice? I guess I've seen other shows where someone acted as an attorney during interrogation without being an attorney, but I don't know if that's legal. And can anyone "act" as someone's attorney in court? I mean, people respresent themselves....

...thinking that Saul doesn't have a valid license. Thoughts?
  • Love 1

What was that?? Nothing happened! That scene with Mike in the desert aiming his gun had absolutely no suspense because we know all those characters survive. I thought maybe he was going to shoot the ponytailed guy who was digging but nope, he shoots nobody and nothing happens except a note.

Chuck hitting his head meant absolutely nothing. He was already back to normal by about 10 minutes int on the episode and Jimmy was back to being played by him. The ending was so disappointing because now I feel like the entire next season is going to be about Jimmy fighting off the tape. And if that plot is resolved in just 2 or 3 episodes then this is an incredibly bad season ender, to end on such an insignificant cliffhanger. 

I don't know if the writing team thought that "Klick" was the BCS version of "Lily of the Valley" season ender but if thats what they were going for, big fail

• Love 5
"I didn't know what to do. My brother is ill. He just got out of the hospital. I came back and there was tin foil all over the place. He's getting worse. He kept saying that it was over. He couldn't do it anymore. He was losing his mind. He kept making wild accusations. I was afraid he was going to do something desperate if I didn't do something. I figured if I just agreed with him he might get better."

Exactly. His tape means nothing if it isn't backed up by other evidence. Like the statement of the copy shop clerk or the surveillance tapes, which, as far as we know and assuming the clerk upholds his end of the bargain, are both already taken care off. How Jimmy got to that store so quickly, well, that could raise some eyebrows, but isn't really evidence. Certainly nothing that a lawyer couldn't explain away ("I was concerned about him, so I followed him around"). Or Ernie just sticks with "I called him".

Well, they had to let Jimmy have a temporary get out of jail free card, so we could have the big confession at the end.

Gag.

Also, how did Chuck get the note to the Ken Doll (who only exists for plot points like this) when he has no phone to call someone to deliver it?  Or all the tinfoil crap, for that matter?

GAWD.

Seriously, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here.  I'm just bummed and venting.  I had such high hopes for this show.

I liked the scene with Ernie. It showed that Chuck isn't beloved by those who work closely with him. They did the standing ovation when he returned last season because he's their boss and they're expected to do it (and Howard told them to).

How he got the note to Howard? He probably did call him (pay phone I assume, or he used Ernie's or whatever). We've seen the great lengths Chuck goes to screw over Jimmy and he tends to forget about his symptoms when he's doing so, so him using a phone isn't really that far off.

Who left the branch and the note? Who trailed Mike, so successfully? I was sure last week that Hector would torture then kill that driver, because I have spent time in Gilligan world. But why not take the kill shot...he could have offed Nacho and Hector in one shot? Who else knows that Mike has trouble pulling the trigger, because leaving a note that says "Don't" on a car windshield some hundreds of yards away from Mike's position suggests someone who already has a read on the guy. 

Nacho is running a sideline operation...has he shared that info with his distributor? Gus, Is that you??

He couldn't have offed them both. He took the smaller caliber. Jim Beaver told him the bigger caliber rounds could hit through thick glass, which is roughly comparable to the human skull. But he didn't take those, so he couldn't take them out both with a head shot.

Who was it? My first thought was Nacho, too, but Gus makes more sense.

So, he has his top man (whomever that may be, but we'll probably find out soon enough) tail Mike and leave that note should Mike attempt to assassinate Salamanca. Why? I'm not sure. To prevent an all-out Cartel bloodbath, perhaps, or maybe just keep Hector alive for Gus's methodical revenge fantasy to come true eight years later. I can imagine a Season 3 without Gus Fring, if they are unable to sign Mr. Esposito. But I can't imagine it without the Fring Organization , as all signs point to them being a major player next season and probably already at this point.

As for how they know about Mike: I think he may have had someone spying on the Salamancas, who just happened to notice Mike popping up all the time. Then he ordered someone to find out who the hell that guy is and what he's up to.

Why did he stop Mike? Good question. Maybe he wants to uphold the status quo for the time being, maybe he wants to make Mike an offer to work for him and therefore wouldn't want Salamanca blood on Mike's hands. Or Mike dead.

Yes, and Gus, or his minion, has a PhD in sound engineering who knew it wouldn't bounce of that nearby cliff.

Also, why was Mike even killing Hector?  He has ninja skills at tracking him, through the dusty desert no less, and not be spotted too!  He must be following him 24-7, Mike doesn't need no stinkin' sleep!  Wouldn't the cousins or any of the other gang suspect Mike, or at least consider it, and off his grand-daughter just in case?  Mike's car wouldn't kick up dust when he was leaving?  We saw, many times, just how far away approaching cars can be seen in that desert.  They'd know which direction the shot came from too, by the way Hector fell.  Now, maybe they would be too busy taking cover to chase the old guy immediately, but they'd damn sure recover soon enough when they saw the dust.

Yeah, that whole setup bothered me, too. Shooting Hector is one thing, but the escape could prove dangerous. He would have to hit Hector, then shoot the tires of both cars, or otherwise they would chase after him. I'm not sure if you can do that quickly enough while Hectors men are still surprised.

Edited by Conan Troutman
  • Love 2

Very disappointed.

The paint job was quite something.  The reds we saw from last week....er yellow with the rainbows?  Jimmy is an even better painter than he is a grifter!

Klick could also refer to the gun sight adjustments MIke was making.

Nothing is ever free on BrBa/BCS.  The ammo?  May just have come at the cost of Mike being ratted out.  Still, if he had opted for the larger bullet, he may have decided to go for the two-fer.  

I loved the deathbed scene.  That was some biblical jealousy fomenting right there.  I have no issue at all with Chuck being consumed with keeping Jimmy down.

I am super-super curious to know if Chuck's resignation screws HHM and that is what caused Howard's panic, as was portrayed.   That will be a fascinating dynamic to observe - which side in this mess will Howard really be on?  Follow the money, eh?  

Well, he pointedly loaded only one bullet, so if he planned to shoot out tires to make his escape, that would be a big fail too.

Yeah, I caught that on the caliber of bullet too.

From a few recaps that was Nacho body blocking him, so perhaps Nacho is working with Gus?

• Love 1

Yeah, this. And the weird way he confessed. "It's amazing how you got every detail right! That's just what happened! Now you're felling better, right?" It wasn't a confession so much as agreeing with what Chuck was saying, which could easily be explained by having to placate his unstable, mentally ill brother so that he wouldn't hurt himself. I don't see how the tape can hurt Jimmy, there were a bunch of witnesses to Chuck going off the deep end.

• Love 5