Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: #TeamLucifer

I swear, when Lucifer met "his" followers, I thought he was going to say "You're all individuals!" and they were going to say back "Yes, we're all individuals!", Brian would've been proud!

Loved the episode. Lucifer was amazing and he had a scene with Trixie, which is always a win.Chloe isn't as flashy, but I think the actress is doing a good job and I like the way she (Chloe) deals with Lucifer. And I agree that Malcolm is a riot, but he shouldn't survive this season. Someone like him shouldn't be able to outsmart Lucifer or Amenadiel for too long. I guess the coin must be willingly given, but there must be other ways.

• Love 2

Regarding the coin and Malcolm.

Just speculating again.  But thinking how Lucifer has shown/said that while he doesn't lie he doesn't tell the whole truth either, I thought of something.

Malcolm is so batbonkers right now that he really has never stopped to ask the right question about the coin.  Which I would think is something like this: "It gets me out of Hell, cool ... but then where do I go?"

Lucifer never said it would bring Malcolm back to mortal life/give the gift of immortality.  He didn't say it would allow Malcolm to go to Heaven either.  He just said "It's a subway token out of Hell" with no details about where Malcolm ends up after that.  

• Love 6

Was anyone else glad that the the scene had no sexual tension (not even a erg of it) when Lucifer felt up Chloe to find out if she had wings? Nor when she casually pulled up her shirt for him to see her back. I don't ship these two.

I was really glad about that.  I don't have any desire to see these two in any standard romance.  One of Lauren German's best things is how well she shows empathy and compassion, and with that in her pocket, I can see a lot of non-sexual intimacy between Chloe and Lucifer.  I'm hoping it goes down that path if the show feels the need to make them closer.  Though I do like it it when he flusters her with the sexy.  He can keep doing that as much as he wants. 

• Love 8
I'd actually prefer if they stuck to the 13 episodes and did it properly. Too many shows have been messed up by watered down storylines because the networks just see the advertising revenue (that would last longer if they didn't kill their shows within two seasons).

If they go fully serialized in season 2, then I agree that sticking to 13 episodes would be best. If they keep the same "procedural with a season-long arc" format that they have now, then 22 episodes should be supportable. Shows like Buffy, Supernatural and X-Files didn't really suffer from having 22+ episode seasons and many of their most classic, memorable episodes were the standalone ones.

I like the procedural with an arc format because it allows the widest range of storytelling. With Lucifer, a lot of the fun is in seeing Lucifer have new experiences with new people. If Lucifer went fully serialized with angel/devil/demon drama and heaven/hell politics all the time, I'm afraid it would suffer from the same problem Sleepy Hollow had in season two with too much Crane family melodrama.

The main problem with Lucifer's procedural format is that most of the cases of the week are not very compelling. I don't necessarily need complex plotting with hard-to-guess murderers on Lucifer. But since it is character-based, the guest characters need to be more interesting. Too often, the guest characters are stock characters with one "unexpected" trait -- the player who falls in love, the biker gang leader who wants to retire and start a clothing line, the Satanic cult leader who wants to retire. Heck, they're even repeating the unexpected traits!

Even Father Frank is just a priest with a non-priestly background, but what made him more compelling than the other guest characters is that he had scenes that had nothing to do with the case of the week, which enabled him to break out of stock character mode. Some shows that are good at creating the types of guest characters that would do well on Lucifer are: Supernatural (quirky guest characters where the quirk is not a cliche), The Mentalist (smart guest characters that can match wits with the hero in interesting ways) and especially The X-Files - despite the craziness going on, X-Files guest characters often came across as real, believable people that you could meet in real life.

On the other, I think we really have seen the real Lucifer all season. He's a hedonist who still loves the part of his job description that reads "mete out punishment to sinners."  He saved the pick-up artist from death because it wasn't a death-level crime/sin/however you want to label it.  He loves to flirt with anyone at anytime and makes no apologies for his appetites, carnal and otherwise. He drinks and smokes ( at least I'm left with the impression he smokes on-screen) and isn't afraid to cuss. 

Lucifer has repeatedly said that he wants to be looked at as his own man. He's told anyone and everyone who asks or half-way is interested that since the pilot or Episode 2. Him feeling safe enough, or worn down enough, to talk to Chloe like he did at the end of the episode was the new element. It was after the case that wore on him- a very concentrated dose of how mortals tend to see him, the revelation of Malcolm killing for him ( which revolted Lucifer), and the physical throwdown with Amenadiel.  Lucifer was physically and emotionally needing someone he trusted to talk to/vent with.

True. Even us regular humans tend to act differently when around friends and family vs. strangers but that doesn't mean we're being fake when we do.

I think with Lucifer, his public self is so shallow and self-centered that the feeling that it's a facade is stronger than with other people because it's hard to believe that anyone could be that genuinely shallow and self-centered. So when he drops the facade, it feels like we're seeing what must be the "real" Lucifer.

I was really glad about that.  I don't have any desire to see these two in any standard romance.  One of Lauren German's best things is how well she shows empathy and compassion, and with that in her pocket, I can see a lot of non-sexual intimacy between Chloe and Lucifer.  I'm hoping it goes down that path if the show feels the need to make them closer.  Though I do like it it when he flusters her with the sexy.  He can keep doing that as much as he wants. 

Lucifer's "sex is always on the table" attitude and Chloe paying him no mind is the best of both worlds -- all the humor from the sexual tension and none of the shippery angst.

I also like that they have a kind of buddy/buddy brother/sister relationship that you don't often see in male/female parings where they can be playfully physical with each other. In this episode, in Rose's apartment, when Lucifer yells, "Hello, bad guys!" up the hidden staircase, Chloe casually shoves him out of the way to go up the stairs first. And at the Satanists' house, he opens the glass door, obliviously smushing it into Chloe's face, in his eagerness to confront the Satanists.

Edited by vampdetective
  • Love 7

I don't think Chloe believes Lucifer killed that pastor. She found the body ten feet away from where Lucifer was crying about his awful day and how hard it is being blamed for everything. That already indicates he didn't know the body was there. Chloe's first reaction, if she thought Lucifer murdered that guy, SHOULD have been to draw her weapon immediately. But she stood there calling his name. It wasn't until she saw other cops coming down the stairs that she pulled her firearm and announced his arrest.

Even then, her first order was that Lucifer should keep quiet. Cops don't usually want you to exercise your Miranda rights if they think you're guilty; they want you to talk without legal counsel and of your own free will so they can either get a confession or catch you in a lie. For Chloe to refuse to let Lucifer explain shows she's not going to allow him to dig his own grave by talking without his attorney present.

• Love 3

I also like that they have a kind of buddy/buddy brother/sister relationship that you don't often see in male/female parings where they can be playfully physical with each other. In this episode, in Rose's apartment, when Lucifer yells, "Hello, bad guys!" up the hidden staircase, Chloe casually shoves him out of the way to go up the stairs first. And at the Satanists' house, he opens the glass door, obliviously smushing it into Chloe's face, in his eagerness to confront the Satanists.

I agree with this completely.  Also the way he explored her back for evidence of wings, for all the 'flirting' he lays down, it was respectful, to the point and like you said, more buddy/buddy than romantic.   

The show's been full of these little moments between them, which is part of why I appreciate the NON-shippiness in the over all dynamic.

The glass door in the face smush ... I almost, ALMOST wonder if that was some unintentional hilarity that ended up in the final cut.  The blocking was awkward (for obvious reasons due to the shot angle) but I could see where they might have planned for Lauren to pull back but Tom started to pull the door and just ... smush!  And it just fit so well they left it in place.

If not, full props to the director for blocking and Lauren and Tom for pulling off a very natural and organic looking bit of physical comedy.

• Love 3

I'm not in favor of a romance between the two either.  God (oops, sorry Lucifer  :)) knows I've shipped plenty of couples over the years but I'm just not getting the vibe from these two.  Plus, I'm not certain Lucifer would know love if it came and bit him on his no doubt very fine ass.

• Love 1

Thank you for confirming the second season.  The catholic school girl in me is hoping we'll see some of the other angels like Michael or Gabriel make an appearance in season 2.

This is completely gratuitous, but I may have a secret fantasy of the Prophecy-movies-era Christopher Walken appearing next season as Gabriel. I know. But damn.

• Love 3

Caught up on the show - I loved the pilot when it was leaked almost a year ago, but only watched about 3 episodes on a weekly basis because ugh, crime procedural with a pretty boring female lead. Opinions:

- Chloe did become better with time, but I still don't want a romance, and for a show that definitely had it in mind from the get-go, it's a huge problem. They did settle in a great friend dynamic, but there's like zero romantic chemistry. I care more about Maze/Amenadude than Chloe and Lucifer.

- Tom Ellis is #1 reason to watch, but I do like how the character of Lucifer is developed and the side plots involving Amenadiel, Maze and Linda. Not Detective Douche and Malcolm though, they should go die in a fire.

- Trixie is super cute, and I hate children generally, especially on TV.

- Please less case of the week, more serialized stuff. I'm kinda partial to the angel stuff (I never watched Supernatural past 2 because they hate women, but I do like them in other stuff... has anyone read Angel Sanctuary manga, perchance? And Dogma is one of my favorite movies ever) so I want to learn more about that. There are shows that have done case of the week stuff really well, but they were not crime shows. I even dropped Elementary because I go so bored with this format.

- My current theory about Chloe is that she's the Apocalypse Maiden trope (or Barrier Maiden). Just a hunch, nothing more.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

This is completely gratuitous, but I may have a secret fantasy of the Prophecy-movies-era Christopher Walken appearing next season as Gabriel. I know. But damn.

I have seen this...and now I cannot unsee it! I love it, but you are a cruel, evil genius!! Someone please write a fanfic! 

I love this show and I'm so sad the season is coming to an end. 

I love that Lucifer and Chloe seem to have settled into a friendship, although I'm not opposed to romance at some point down the line. Hey, I like shippy romances so, thereyago. It was hilarious watching Lucifer trying to stay as far away from her as possible. I'm so intrigued by what it is about Chloe that makes Lucifer vulnerable. I hope it's something about her physically, or genetically, or whatever, and not "true love." In fact, I hope whatever it is about her winds up being a (temporary) road block to them being together romantically. Having said all that, it wouldn't ruin the show for me if they never wind up getting together romantically and just stay friends who care for each other and drive each other crazy. 

Maze and Aman...I can't spell that name... are awesome together. The look on his face when he grabbed her holding the dagger, and then again when she threw the daggers on the table and let he and Lucifer have it. Wowsa! I hope they explore that dynamic more. I can get my hot forbidden romance from those two. I also hope we see more of Maze and Dr. Linda and Maze and Trixie. In fact, for someone I was pretty "eh" about early in the season, Maze has evolved into one of my favorite characters. 

As for Trixie: I'm a sucker for that little moppet. She is adorable! I miss her when she's not in an episode. She and Lucifer together are so great. When she told him she wanted cash and he had that look of approval on his face... priceless.  

"Douche and Stache" had me rolling. This show has some of the best lines on TV.

It's been fun to watch Stache go off the deep end. I too want to know where that coin sends him.

I don't really care about Detective Douche all that much. I don't want him to die because of Trixie -- she needs her dad. But, I don't think he really does much in terms of storyline and plot. I think Chloe and Lucifer are great as friends right now, I don't really want the cliche estranged husband be the "thing" that's supposedly preventing them from getting together. Give him something more to do than be the roadblock to Chloe's success as a detective and her relationship with Lucifer or have him get transferred to some other precinct. 

I can't wait until the final episode! It's going to be a long summer!

Edited by ReadingZombie
  • Love 4

I have finally decide. Since this show takes things in such a different direction. Chole and Lucifer shall never have sex!

I wonder if maze will help look for Tricia. I wonder if good angel will bring a posse to help help get trice back next week.

Edited by gwhh

More and more, they are turning this into Dark Shadows.  How?  Nothing can really happen with the romance of the leads.  it is an impossibility or the show is over.  Worse?  Just as when Quentin (Werewolf) or Barnabas (Vampire) were fixin' to do their worst, after much build-up, we NEVER got the payoff.  I would bet anything that Fox has demanded we never see Luci actually being irredeemably mean - as in killing - anyone.  Don't want to offend, doncha know.

The humanizing of Luci, Maze, and Amen continues to ruin things.  The latest thing that really got to me:  Maze, for even a nanosecond, thinking she could scratch, let alone kill, an angel.  The angel, for even a second, being all offended that a demon was...wait for it...acting like a demon!  

Now, I do love, a lot, the hell that Maze is now stuck within.  Despite herself, she allowed herself to have sex with an angel.  It was glorious.  Oopsie...now nothing short of that will do.  She is fated to pursuing that high every bit as much as a human addict and opiates or alcohol.  She has become vulnerable.  That means she becomes a liability.  Ruh roh.  She has always been right - she, and Luci - are much better off in their home.  Now, they are both gonna pay severely.  This, is a fantastic story/plot tension.

I had a hell of a time, to use an expression, accepting that Douche and Malcolm were back at it in a normal fashion on the job.  Not saying it was impossible.  Just a major reach.

As others have written, the repartee is so much fun.  I'm pleased it was Fox's #1 replacement show and has been renewed.  I dread what TPTB will do to it, though.  It is not often that smart and witty are retained.  Almost always, dumbing down is the first order of business.  Fingers crossed.

Anyone else notice the partial Illuminati symbol in the Church of the Dark Prince book and on the website? Shouldn't that be a downward point pentagram? I've  been researching the Illuminati (no longer a secret society, they have a website!) and they seem harmless on the face of it, if not downright benevolent. Why the association with Lucifer here? 

7 hours ago, Tavalah said:

Anyone else notice the partial Illuminati symbol in the Church of the Dark Prince book and on the website? Shouldn't that be a downward point pentagram? I've  been researching the Illuminati (no longer a secret society, they have a website!) and they seem harmless on the face of it, if not downright benevolent. Why the association with Lucifer here? 

I don't know anything about the Illuminati, but the symbol for Satanism is a downward pentagram, and if I remember correctly, the show got it wrong. (Shocking.)

They use the pentagram correctly in other places. I doubt the use of the Illuminati symbol is an error. The Illuminati admit that many artists use their symbolism to lead others to them. It worked for me! I just wonder if Tom Ellis and the other actors are members.