Type keyword(s) to search

American Grit - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Vicky8675309 said:

I'm also annoyed at the yoga woman (Gill?) who had the affair. On the show she said something to the effect of this is the first time she has done something for herself. I guess she had the affair for her husband... WTF?

I thought the same thing! I was like "...wait, what? The affair was a selfless act?"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought the same thing! I was like "...wait, what? The affair was a selfless act?"

Clearly, the affair was for whoever she had the affair with! It was an act of giving. :P

Less sarcastically, I don't think having an affair automatically makes one a bad person. I think that most people have the ability to cheat on their partner if enough things line up, and we don't know details. It sounds like she stayed in her marriage and at least somewhat tried for five years after the affair ended, mostly for her children, before she realized it wouldn't work. So I understood what she was trying to say in that sense. She stayed in that situation for her children. Now she's made a decision to move on and do something for herself. She overstated it, as she's clearly done something for herself in the past, but it sounds like she feels like she's been living for others for years.

Now people who repeatedly cheat? I have no patience for them. 

I'm going to have to poke around and figure out where to give feedback on the show.

21 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

They all made it to the fourth position but Natalie (red team's "mama") couldn't hold on for too long after that and had to ring out.

So did mine! I was so pissed....at least I went in and changed it to end 10 mins. after! I hate watching an hour of a show only to have to cut off before I find out who got eliminated. Start and end the dam shows on time! 

I didn't see this last year. The first episode I thought was American Torture. Dunking people in freezing water! Wow. Thought I'd give 2 a chance and NOW I feel like I get it. It's about getting out of your comfort zone. Taking off your lashes, your nails, your hair even. Going naked, drinking gross things. All take courage. So I'm assuming we are going for courage here. 

And it may be about grit and determination but I guarantee at 59 I would fall off that rack thing a heck of a lot faster then a 25 year old! 

Can't we have separate threads for each episode? I HATE one big thread.  

OMG I just realized this thread includes last year! Seriously can we at least get a thread for this year??

• Love 2

We too laughed at "this is the FIRST THING I'VE EVER done for myself!"  I'm so tired of the hyperbole.  I guess it's a staple of the genre, though.  I liked last season better.  It was more a test of athletics and toughness.  The casting this season seems based solely on "who is willing to make an ass of themselves revealing personal details of their lives and to look ridiculous on our courses."  

I know accidents happen but I was kind of more annoyed at Natalie for her daughter's death than sympathetic.  But I'm pretty militant about supervising small children around roads and bodies of water.

When Gigi had to lose the nails then the eyelashes, I said, "They're going to make her strip next", being silly.  Then they DID!   

On 6/19/2017 at 7:50 PM, raven said:

I miss the Circus, but there's no way most of these people would be able to complete it.

These guys would take one look at last season's Circus and all 16 would ring out!

• Love 3

In season 1, this show was a solid 10. Sadly, season 2 barely rates as a 5. I don't know why they felt the need to turn what was a truly gritty program, that was true to its name, into a cross between Dr. Phil and Fear Factor.  Last year they did Navy Seal type challenges, and this year, when they're not busy crying and whining, their challenges are to eat pureed alligator and strip naked. What a joke!!! Aside from John Burk, even the members of the cadre don't come close to the quality of last season's group.  After last season, I implored all my friends who had not seen the show to be sure to watch season 2. I'm now very embarrassed that I did that. If, by some miracle, there is a 3rd season, PLEASE change it back to the original format!!!

• Love 3

In season 1, this show was a solid 10. Sadly, season 2 barely rates as a 5. I don't know why they felt the need to turn what was a truly gritty program, that was true to its name, into a cross between Dr. Phil and Fear Factor.  Last year they did Navy Seal type challenges, and this year, when they're not busy crying and whining, their challenges are to eat pureed alligator and strip naked. What a joke!!! Aside from John Burk, even the members of the cadre don't come close to the quality of last season's group.  After last season, I implored all my friends who had not seen the show to be sure to watch season 2. I'm now very embarrassed that I did that. If, by some miracle, there is a 3rd season, PLEASE change it back to the original format!!!

• Love 1

I still have to watch the first two episodes of this show.  Reading everyone's posts and the linked article, it seems like they ruined the show.  I liked how season 1's contestants were athletes and most of them were tough mentally and physically.  The only thing that I wished they changed up was the Circus.  I would have liked to see different obstacles each week or change up one or two of them. 

I don't want to see a bunch of drama especially from contestants that want to create it.

• Love 1

God this show is terrible now. I have zero interest in the drama and they made all of the elimination challenges lame. How interesting is it to watch people spin wheels for an hour? I am embarassed for everyone involved in this show. But, at least I have a DVR so I only end up watching about 7 minutes of the show.

• Love 4
(edited)

Janessa (red team) was HORRIBLE in the boat challenge. She just kept yelling at them to stroke, not paying any attention to actually steering them, and when she did try to steer them she just yelled at them to "decide who's going to go." They are BLIND, woman! Lord! I was frustrated just watching it, I can't imagine how her team felt.

And in the elimination, I was so annoyed with Riki, the yellow coach. She seems to have no idea how to motivate her team in a challenge. She kept saying "you're not hurting! You're not tired!" If there is one thing being a personal trainer has taught me, it's do not use negative words to motivate people. If you say "you're not tired," they are hearing the word tired. They are hearing the word hurting. Keep it positive. Say "you could do this all day! You are as fresh as a douche commercial!" Shit like that.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 6
(edited)

So Gill, who in the last episode said she was doing this for herself as a selfish thing since she has never been selfish (I guess the affair was for her husband and kids) now says she has been pampered all her life and that her husband had pampered her. WTF? Am I confusing the contestants? Also why is Burke still whining about Grady stacking his team? Burke wanted the most misfit people of the groups so why is he bitching? Ugh!

edit: I forgot about Hannah (blonde one who cries all the time). She is scared of people and too scared to work in a beauty parlor yet she signed up for this reality show. smh

Edited by Vicky8675309
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Vicky8675309 said:

So Gill, who in the last episode said she was doing this for herself as a selfish thing since she has never been selfish (I guess the affair was for her husband and kids) now says she has been pampered all her life and that her husband had pampered her. WTF? Am I confusing the contestants?

Gill (and I will always read that with a hard G, because unless she is a French man, that is how it is said) is the worst. I'm glad she's gone, with her whining about how "I want to become a better person after having an affair" but "I don't regret the affair because it's made me who I am," what a bunch of nonsense.

• Love 6
(edited)

I had to dig deep to find some positives in the crap this show has become. I'm really enjoying Gigi, whose final response of "My dad is a truck driver" in George's big reveal scene to his team was priceless. Actually, I admit I really enjoyed that entire scene.

I'm also glad Gill went home, and Hannah the klutz is growing on me. So far she's gotten a fishing lure stuck in her leg, burned her butt on the wood stove, and fallen down a couple steps during the elimination challenge, but she keeps going. I also like that her crying and hugs piss Burk off.

Why would Alison think only Melanie would get a talking to from Cena for crawling under the bunker with Herman? Wouldn't Herman get one too? Nice sexist thinking, Alison.

All that said, I want the old show back. I don't want Fear Factor Bachelor/ette on Mosquito Lake. I want to watch team competitions that take longer than three minutes on my screen. At this point, I'm hanging on to see how long Gigi lasts, and I'm probably gone when she is. (I think I like her so much because omg, I am not a drama person.)

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, pivot said:

God this show is terrible now.

2 hours ago, gigiann said:

They ruined a good show.

1 hour ago, simplyme said:

All that said, I want the old show back. I don't want Fear Factor Bachelor/ette on Mosquito Lake. I want to watch team competitions that take longer than three minutes on my screen.

ITA to all of this.  If you glance back through the thread, everyone who liked the show says the same thing - no drama, tough contests, most of the contestants and cadres were liked, etc etc.  I was trying to give it a chance but the show is pretty bad now.  The challenges are jokes and yeah, last about 5 minutes.

Positives - I still like John Cena.  The venue looks nice. 

Other than that, I've got nothing.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, simplyme said:

I had to dig deep to find some positives in the crap this show has become. I'm really enjoying Gigi, whose final response of "My dad is a truck driver" in George's big reveal scene to his team was priceless. Actually, I admit I really enjoyed that entire scene.

I'm also glad Gill went home, and Hannah the klutz is growing on me. So far she's gotten a fishing lure stuck in her leg, burned her butt on the wood stove, and fallen down a couple steps during the elimination challenge, but she keeps going. I also like that her crying and hugs piss Burk off.

Why would Alison think only Melanie would get a talking to from Cena for crawling under the bunker with Herman? Wouldn't Herman get one too? Nice sexist thinking, Alison.

All that said, I want the old show back. I don't want Fear Factor Bachelor/ette on Mosquito Lake. I want to watch team competitions that take longer than three minutes on my screen. At this point, I'm hanging on to see how long Gigi lasts, and I'm probably gone when she is. (I think I like her so much because omg, I am not a drama person.)

I was thinking the same thing! Very judgmental and sexist of Alison imo. Now that Gill is gone, Alison is the next on my "hit list", lol. She also lied and said she didn't say "disrespectful" in regards to the shenanigans under the house. Now it makes me think she also lied about the "bitch" comment from an earlier episode.

Season 1 was so much better!

I didn't watch that closely but I didn't understand what about crawling under the deck was disrespectful or would invoke a talking-to.  Who gives a shit?  Someone even said in this episode they have a lot of downtime.  Was it implied it was a romantic rendezvous?  Under an 18" deck, really?  I think production loves showmances, anyway.  They probably told them to find some semi-private spot to spark some gossip.  

The one thing I liked is that Grady essentially had the teams pick who was going to the challenge.  Being the leader means taking responsibility (although the Cadres were the ones who chode the leaders -- they should have been the ones to do the challenge. LOL)  It certainly beats going after the strongest or weakest member of each team.

I guess, techincally speaking, there are ways Herman and Melanie could have done the Ole 23 Skidoo under the cabin but I doubt it happened.  I mean, EVERYONE, would have been talking about it.  Alison cheesed me off by not admitting what she said when she was caught gossiping.  I think they should have Alison, Hannah, Melanie and Richard sit down and flesh this out.  Alison needs to have her feet held to the fire.  Oh, and God forbid anyone young and bored have any kind of fun when Old Lady Alison is around.

I can't believe I am liking Shermon.  I really disliked him the first week but the second, he was hilarious, and really started working with his team.  Bless him, he tried with that boat.

And speaking of that...what the WHAT was Chloe thinking by not getting her team any time to practice on the boat?  Duh!  It is not inherent that people know how to row a boat, or steer a boat.  She should have had them learning the boat.  It does say a lot that they powered through and didn't quit.

George's reveal...loved it.  Funniest line, when George says his dad is a two time world championship and GiGi says, yeah, mine too.  I cracked.  

Love that Gill went home.  Her backstory was all over the place.  She bugged me, real bad.  And her concern for her kids and breaking up their family?  Where was that concern when she was having an affair.  What did she think was going to happen when she had an affair? I guess some people can get over that? Besides, she didn't have the affair for herself (since Grit was the first thing she ever did for herself), maybe she had an affair for her kids?  Ugh...get your story straight for f's sake, if you are going to air your dirty laundry on national TV.  Adios chicka.

Also, what is the deal with yellow beauty queen needing to change every five minutes?  And her leader being ticked and not being able to get through to her?  Umm, you picked her.  You could have picked the PI who didn't know her hubby was having an affair but noooooooo, you sent her ass home.  Don't feel bad for you at all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

what is the deal with yellow beauty queen needing to change every five minutes?  And her leader being ticked and not being able to get through to her?  Umm, you picked her.  You could have picked the PI who didn't know her hubby was having an affair but noooooooo, you sent her ass home.  Don't feel bad for you at all.

It's all about "teaching" the contestants this time. Gah.

• Love 1
On 6/30/2017 at 11:48 PM, jhlipton said:

It's all about "teaching" the contestants this time. Gah.

Gah is right.  I liked last year that everyone was there to win money and be badass.  Now they want to "grow as people". They should figure out there crap on their own time, not this show.  Go see that Ilyana lady on OWN, she's there to help you put your house in order.

If the idea is teaching, Yellow Cadre (forgot her name) gave up on the Beauty Queen awfully quick.  Maybe she should have stacked her team like Grady did?  ?

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I really have to wonder if people are really holding a ball that long.  I just have a gut feeling that these times are very much inflated.  Besides, wouldn't her makeup have been a complete mess if she had been out there sweating up a storm, holding on to a ball for three hours?

Since it isn't a dynamic movement, she wouldn't necessarily be sweating from that particular type of exertion (isometric) on a cool day. Sherman didn't seem sweaty either. Although yeah, since she had no clue what the challenge was going to be and whether she'd be sweaty, she probably could have skipped the *multiple coats of mascara,* FFS.

• Love 1

If you just turn this show on at some random point in the show you would have no idea what they actually do other than yap at each other.  They have about 5 min of competition near the beginning of the show, and then about 5 min near the end.  I am just not getting what they were thinking with changing it.... I am definitely done.

• Love 2

Was this episode just an advertisement to get high on opiates? WTF

This show is making me cringe and I'm just watching it for my eye candy (Grady).

Does Burke think he is a "hero"? He seems more like a douche imo. He was all about helping the weak but now he wants to cut the weakest? At least Grady is upfront about playing to win. It's a freaking game. LOL, I can see forgetting it is a game since there is hardly any actual competition shown. To much filler and not enough team competition imo.

(edited)

This is my first season of the show so the closest comparison I have to it was the recent Kicking & Screaming show where they paired weak city folk with tough survivalists and what I liked more about that show is that it didn't take itself so seriously. The heartfelt moments that did end up happening seemed more genuine because it wasn't trying to be an inspirational Biggest Loser type of show.

At least with those two shows you also got to see the one-on-one interaction between the "coaches" and the "trainees" so you got to see how they changed. Here you just get Burk telling John to shut up and quit being so happy because it annoyed him and the other coach Riki get shushed by her trainee.

With this show all of a sudden you get Will going "I don't second guess myself anymore!" Where the heck did that come from?

I'll still keep watching, though. I do like some people left.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

Does Burke think he is a "hero"? He seems more like a douche imo

A phony douche.  I really don't like him.    I do like Grady, and the other cadre leaders can whine all they want, but Grady picked his team well.

As soon as we got the sad back story for Sherman, I knew he would be gone.  I don't pay attention to much of the team filler interactions but I remember that one.

I'll watch to the end but it really was so much better last year. 

• Love 1
On 7/3/2017 at 10:16 AM, icemiser69 said:

I really have to wonder if people are really holding a ball that long.  I just have a gut feeling that these times are very much inflated.

19 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

Was this episode just an advertisement to get high on opiates? WTF

Between these two, I'm seriously doubting anything on this show is real. 

They don't give you morphine and codeine for a sprain.  They would have given Hannah extra strength Ibuprofen at most.  Moreover, she wouldn't be walking outside stoned out of her mind in a hospital gown.  That combined with the ridiculous poses while holding the ball just rang so false to me.

4 hours ago, raven said:

A phony douche.  I really don't like him.

I don't like him at all.  "You're not dying."  F*** you, bitch.  You're not the one in the ambulance. 

All four Cadre are pretty insufferable -- Chloe is the best of a bad lot.

• Love 2
(edited)

You guys are making really good points. I really could not believe those folks held up that ball for three full hours, either. After a few minutes of isometric exercise, even someone in great physical shape would be shaking involuntarily. Holding a muscle perfectly still while being engaged (as your back, bicep, shoulder, and tricep would be in that situation) is very difficult to do for even a short period of time. Three hours is mind blowing, considering these people are not professional athletes or Buddhist monks or yoga gods or basically any other profession that would STILL not be able to do that for three hours. Also, wouldn't they have to pee?

And when Sherman finally dropped the ball, that girl smugly held the ball up for a little longer before calmly releasing it. In real life, if you'd held your shoulder like that for 3 hours and Sherman dropped his ball, you'd immediately release yours and grab your shoulder to massage it out. Same with Sherman after dropping his. You wouldn't just walk away like "oh, darn, gotta go now," you'd be grabbing your shoulder in agony.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 4

I was balking too but I think it did get a lot darker during the challenge.  Though maybe they started it at sunset, to get that affect easily.  And Survivor players can sometimes pull off incredible feats of endurance.  It still wouldn't surprise me if they faked it, though.  They told us in ep. 1 there were alligators in that lake, now they play in it whenever they feel like.  

52 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

They told us in ep. 1 there were alligators in that lake, now they play in it whenever they feel like.  

I have flamingos in my backyard. Plastic ones. I wouldn't be surprised if their gators are about that real. Nothing else on the show appears to be.

Hannah, who claimed to have "never taken drugs before" (I took that to include things like cough syrup or ibuprofen. Maybe that isn't what she meant. If it was, I'm supposed to assume she's what? Stoic? Principled? Amish gone wild on Rumspringa?) is given both codeine and morphine for a sprain? What the hell hospital is that? Any ERs or doctors I've been to would have been like, "If it hurts, you can take a Tylenol. Keep icing it."  They don't hand out the hard stuff for much that doesn't involve surgery. 

Apparently after a couple weeks at Camp Grit, Shermon is now a team player and has learned to trust people, and Will no longer doubts himself. Guess they can go home now. Carla is still portrayed as a selfish witch who prizes her appearance above punctuality and shushes her cadre. She'll be here a bit longer. Once they show her have a "growth" moment or two, she's toast.

All I know from spending more time watching Camp Grit is that I should be wearing really high barn boots for the amount of crap I'm wading through.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, simplyme said:

Any ERs or doctors I've been to would have been like, "If it hurts, you can take a Tylenol. Keep icing it."  They don't hand out the hard stuff for much that doesn't involve surgery. 

True!  I cried in an ER once for an hour straight with a slipped disc before I got a damn percocet.  

I've never seen morphine given outside of dying patients in hospice.  Or a civil war battlefield.  

Also, too, morphine and codeine can give you hallucinations (my wife had them one time on codeine and refuses to take it when her back problems flare up), but they don't make you giggly. They mostly just knock you out.  The pain is there but you just don't care.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I've never seen morphine given outside of dying patients in hospice.  Or a civil war battlefield.  

Wow! You've sure aged well!

Ahem. Sorry.

• Love 3

My wife and I made the mistake of binge-watching all of Season 1 (which we had never seen) in between the two most recent episodes of this season. What a mistake. The debut season was awesome -- not a lot of fluff, just enough about each contestant to make you care, lots of cool, tough challenges. The current season is just a joke in comparison. They reinvented something that didn't need to be messed with. There's simply way too much time spent talking -- among people who aren't interesting. And, as others have noted, a lot of the situations seem overly dramatized or flat-out fake vs. the first season. I think we're done. :-(

• Love 6

Only partway into the episode and I'm all "WTF is up with these weird strappy bathing suits? Why can't the women wear t-shirts and shorts like the guys?" It is seriously bizarre. The men look like they're going to the gym, and the women look like they're going to participate in an all-female wrestling match from the late 1980s.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Only partway into the episode and I'm all "WTF is up with these weird strappy bathing suits? Why can't the women wear t-shirts and shorts like the guys?" It is seriously bizarre. The men look like they're going to the gym, and the women look like they're going to participate in an all-female wrestling match from the late 1980s.

I can't figure out what kind of temperature swings that place must go through either. They go from wearing hats and scarves and coats to little bathing suits. I mean, the temperature here can change 30-40 degrees in a day from when you get up to the hot afternoon, but no one walks around like it's 20 below. 

I'm delighted to no longer have to watch Melanie and Herman snuggling and cooing. Honestly, I thought Chloe's choices were perfect. They were indeed the glue of each team, and that's exactly who you want to remove. (The added bonus was that Carla was pissed to go up again and if Herman or Melanie went home, the other would be upset.)

Boy, that first competition was short and boring.

It is amazing how much more watchable it is when you fast forward through all of the babbling bullshit, and just watch the comps

Wow. That must be like a ten minute show.

Edited by simplyme
Tried to add icemiser's quote
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, simplyme said:

I'm delighted to no longer have to watch Melanie and Herman snuggling and cooing.... if Herman or Melanie went home, the other would be upset.

I've deleted this off my DVR, but I wanted fake-ass Herman gone (I think he's about as "Native" as I am).  It would have been much more interesting to see Melanie cope without Herman -- fake-ass Herman will have forgotten about her 5 minutes after she's gone.

But, yeah, show, tell us you're not rigged.  Herman's tank never lost any sand.  Bullshit.

By the way, John and Chloe, addition is cumulative.  It doesn't matter if you add 10 bags then 1 bucket then 5 bags or 15 bags then 1 bucket.  Geez.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The men look like they're going to the gym, and the women look like they're going to participate in an all-female wrestling match from the late 1980s.

It must be a matter of preference, because in this week's first challenge, one of the blue women was wearing a tank and shorts and Alyson was completely covered - long sleeves and leggings.  I just think that wearing a bikini, running around with things flapping, must be uncomfortable but to each her own I guess.

10 hours ago, simplyme said:

Wow. That must be like a ten minute show.

It sure is LOL.  I stop when I see John Cena, a one on one with a leader and a competitor (sometimes) and at the challenges.  It helps. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, raven said:

I just think that wearing a bikini, running around with things flapping, must be uncomfortable but to each her own I guess.

I have always wondered this.  I watch Survivor and other shows like that and wonder how these women can compete with their breasts slopping around.  So uncomfortable.  I have to wear a Super Sports Bra when I exercise.  I guess I am function over form.  I'd rather not worry about jiggling and nip slips and win the damn game.  But, that's just me.  ?

On 7/10/2017 at 7:24 AM, ClareWalks said:

I just got done with the episode and I can't believe this.  It adds toy ever growing list of why I would never go on a reality show.

Why were the women in bathing suits at all?  It was obviously in the casting call.  What a bunch of baloney!!!!  Why have the women running around in itty bitty bikinis and weird swimsuits when the obstacle has nothing to do with water...AT ALL?!?!?

I also think the show provides the outfits.  I mean, no one knew what team they would be on when they arrived but they all have a ton of their cadre color.  If that's the case, I would want to beat down a costumer if I were Hannah.  At least get the girl a bikini that fits.

I still love John Cena. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I also think the show provides the outfits.  I mean, no one knew what team they would be on when they arrived but they all have a ton of their cadre color.  If that's the case, I would want to beat down a costumer if I were Hannah.  At least get the girl a bikini that fits.

I was thinking about that too. I came up with three possibilities:

1. The show is outfitting them, in which case I second the motion that Hannah gets to beat down a costumer.

2. The entire picking teams week was faked and teams were pre-picked so contestants could be told what to bring. Still, the colors are often a bit matchy-matchy for this.

3. Contestants had to bring clothing in all four colors. That seems highly impractical.

I think the show provides the outfits and my guess is that the contestant can supplement - I'm thinking of Herman wearing a scarf I think it was.

Alyson was definitely covered up in the first challenge, which were probably her own clothes - the rule may be they have to show some of the color but can wear whatever they want along with it.

They don't know what the challenge is beforehand so maybe Hannah and the other women wearing nothing but bikinis thought it was a water challenge?  Or they like running around in bikinis?