Type keyword(s) to search

American Grit - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved the finale.  I hope there is another season.  I cheered when Tony won the Evolution.  He made it to the finals and got some rest again.  I was cheering for Mario and David in the circus.  Mario seems like a good guy that wants to be an example for younger kids in terms of fitness.  I was bummed that he was eliminated because he forgot to press the buzzer.

I was cheering for Tony again in the final circus but I'm happy for Mark and Clare.  They really did do a lot of the work in the Evolutions since they were great with outdoor stuff.  I actually thought that Haze and Goldie would last a little bit longer.  They are usually so focused during the endurance portion.  I think these contestants are so strong mentally and physically.  A lot of those endurance challenges were brutal and sometimes the weather wasn't cooperating either.

• Love 4

In my Tee voice: "Tonayyy!!!"

I heard some wheezing, saw some slow jogging, and at one point, his eyes were ready to roll back, but he pulled it out and won the Evolution. I was happy for him.

I didn't think Jim would even make it that far when he started plotting to mentally psych out a former Olympian!!! Really? You think that's going to work? That plan was almost as bad as Mario deciding to play another man's game and thus forgot to hit the button.

So, glad Haze was nowhere near winning. I thought Goldie was going to go into her zen/coma and pull it out.

And, as much as I love John Cena's voice, I actually think he sped up the end of the Circus by screaming at them and adding to their already manic thoughts of how much pain they were in. That's when you go low and comforting as the Cadres had shown for so many weeks.

For some reason, I still liked Strong more, but I'd watch another season. Are any of you watching Spartan? That one is going to be difficult for me as I don't like dirt and mud, so watching them splash around in it will be like YUCK! But, I would definitely enjoy another thread with all of you!

• Love 3

I think Mark and Clare had significant advantages over the others in the evolutions because they had mad skills and were tough and good athletes (or forced themselves to be, in Clare's case), but I don't know that they necessarily did in the circus, especially the endurance portion.  Supporting your own weight by hanging onto a rope was tough for everyone.  I don't think I'd say they had a significant advantage in that.  Mark surviving the one circus he was in was dependent on who he was up against, imo.  I'm fairly certain he was going down before Goldie, for example, but Cam fell before he did despite Mark looking iffy with those huge feet on those tiny ledges.

I, too, really hope a tweaked show comes back, though I know the ratings were lackluster.

@Kendall, If I remember, I hope to give Spartan a try. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

This was the first reality show in a long time that made me say 'Damn, that was a great show!" at the finale. John Cena, where have you been my whole life??? I LOVED him as host...between his role in Trainwreck and this...who knew he had such talent lurking under that WWE exterior? He's a star and I hope to see him host this show forever. 

I wasn't that fond of Noah on Dancing with the Stars but I loved him here as well. He was such a calm and supportive cadre, and his skills for spotting talent and building a great team were impeccable. All of the cadres were great, each with unique personalities but a lot of heart.

I didn't have a true dog in the fight at the end, I kind of rooted for them all and would have been happy with anyone winning. Well, I guess I'm happy Jim didn't win, he was so annoying in the beginning. But they all put so much effort out there, pushed themselves so much physically that it was hard to not want to see any of them win. $250K is a fantastic prize and I'm happy that both Mark and Claire got it. 

Very much looking forward to this show's return!

Edited by PetuniaP
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kendal and simplyme, I plan to watch Spartan if I remember.  I also watched Strong and I'm also recording American Ninja Warrior.  I think Spartan is supposed to be on after ANW.  I don't mind mud but I wonder if they will do that electric shock thing.  I wouldn't like that.  I'm also a cold wimp and would never have wanted to do that ice bucket thing that American Grit did on the second circus.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2

Just watched this finale last night. Nice that Mark and Claire each won $250K, not having to split it. The endurance had to be hard on Mark as he had so much more weight to support--he's strong, of course, but not sure it's proportionate to weight? So kudos to him. Loved that Claire hugged the pole after they won, staying up on it. Haze can go away and never be on my TV again.

I'd like to see Noah as the host, personally. I wish Cena had been in the military himself for all the adulation he rightfully gives our service members, even in the reserves. If the show is going to keep the military theme (which makes sense--not complaining about that!), perhaps the host should also have served? Nothing against Cena, who is most personable and sincere, just a feeling I have, which I am probably not expressing very well. But I doubt it will be back. 

Liked: Cena, the winners, team competition that didn't drag on for too long

Disliked:  Tee, misuse of the word "cadre", all the nicknames, all the rah-rah-military talk, the perma-rain location

I feel like Mario purposely didn't push that button because he was done.  You really don't want to go to physical failure on a raised obstacle like that.  

45 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Andy Dehnart visits the location, talks to showrunners, talks about changes for this season. Read it here.

Well, that's...concerning to me. I'll watch the first few episodes to see how it shakes out, but it certainly sounds like they're stripping it of all the elements that made it unique and turning it into another cookie cutter reality competition show. No Evolutions or Circus? Really?

I'm also very wary of how they are describing choosing contestants this for this season. One of the reasons the first season worked so well to me was the people who brought drama last season were actively called on it, and were gotten rid of fairly early on instead of obviously lingering to fan the flames and create tension. 

• Love 2

I thought we scored a lucky break last season by getting rid of the drama people so early!  I still remember that first really annoying guy losing, it was so unexpected, it was great.

I'll give this season a try but I don't like what they're saying in that article, especially this, which is the exact opposite of why I liked the first season so much:

“What we really found was that last year was really an athletic competition. Whereas there was some drama that was brought by a few of the competitors, we really felt that we had lost”

I loved the emphasis on athletics and teamwork, the Evolutions and Circus.  Ugh, no, American Grit people, you WON because you lost the drama contestants.   I was rooting for Goldie, who outlasted the jerk early, Ivette giving it her all while wearing make up, Tony who unexpectedly made it to the end, etc.  No drama?  Tony & Ivette competing hard as a team of two!

We'll see.

• Love 4

raven, I agree 100%! 

The reality TV people who think a show needs interpersonal drama to be entertaining are WRONG. I'd MUCH rather watch a show with an interesting premise or a solid game and completely skip the dramatic "casting" and interpersonal bullshit.

I'm not sure I'll be watching this season, which is a bummer, because this was must-see TV for me last summer. 

• Love 3

Oh my God.

From the linked article:

His partner: a second executive producer, Alycia Rossiter, who worked on The Bachelor for 11 years, including stints as showrunner of The Bachelorette, Bachelor Pad, and Bachelor in Paradise.

I'm now terrified of the "transformational journey" they want these people to take. I want the Ivettes and Tonys of the world back, you bastards, not some mocked-up story arc you create by making some drama llama shave their head.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, simplyme said:

Oh my God.

From the linked article:

I'm now terrified of the "transformational journey" they want these people to take. I want the Ivettes and Tonys of the world back, you bastards, not some mocked-up story arc you create by making some drama llama shave their head.

My heart sank when I read that. The Bachelor-type antics are the antithesis of what this show was, so her reality tv background does not read as a positive to me. And they're touting it like it's this huge positive to make contestants strip or shave their heads or other contrived nonsense. Just have a really bad feeling about this.

• Love 2

So not happy with the changes so far.

There was a lot of drama focus in the premiere. And the only competition that had any consequences was the race to the bed.  They ended the first competition after less than a half an hour and the person who held up the ball the longest---got booted.

I did laugh at the "hold above your head and spin" miscommunication.  And Hannah's decision to swim instead of run.

But I don't want to see some asshole who has no use for being a teammate. And I don't want to see crying women. And I don't think we need more focus on the cadre this year.

• Love 4

Really, who though making poor Heather go through this only to not get picked would be a good idea? Also, the one dude had it right: it's exactly like a team being forced to pick you because teacher said so.

• Love 4

Yep. This show has been Bachelorized. The focus is definitely on drama between cast members and between cadre and I'm sure we'll get cast members with story arcs who stay around foreeever. 

There are also scenes that I thought were patently fake. "Put the ball over your head and spin" and every single person interprets it the same, wrong way? I knew what he meant.

Also, this:

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And the only competition that had any consequences was the race to the bed.  They ended the first competition after less than a half an hour and the person who held up the ball the longest---got booted.

Good observation. And really, the only consequences were that everyone knows Shermon is a pill (like they wouldn't have anyways) and he maybe ended up on a different team than he might have.

Sorry, Heather. You should have been thinner, younger, male, or talked more about your childhood.

Oh, and glad to see the cadre all knew their roles. Burk is the hardass possibly hiding the marshmallow heart. Grady is the competitive clown. Riki is the caring cheerleader. Chloe is the strict mom. *eyeroll*

• Love 2
(edited)

I was really hoping Sherman would be out.  As soon as he said "I don't need a team" I would have said "Good, then you're not getting one."

I was glad Gigi was picked.  Letting someone take a kitchen knife to your nails was pretty gritty.

8 hours ago, simplyme said:

There are also scenes that I thought were patently fake. "Put the ball over your head and spin" and every single person interprets it the same, wrong way? I knew what he meant.

He didn't say "spin it".  He told them to spin.  I would have done exactly what they did.

Edited by jhlipton
Spin it.
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

S2E1 was interesting but completely different from S1. I think I liked the old format better but I'll give this a few episodes to see how it goes.

Same

• Love 2
14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

He didn't say "spin it".  He told them to spin.  I would have done exactly what they did.

I know he didn't say spin it, but that's how I took it.

Then again, maybe I'm too used to translating SimplyDad Speak. "I'll pick up this and hold it. You turn that thing." Quick, figure out what "that thing" means before your septuagenarian father keels over from holding the heavy object he lifted with little warning... *eyeroll*

• Love 1
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

Then again, maybe I'm too used to translating SimplyDad Speak. "I'll pick up this and hold it. You turn that thing." Quick, figure out what "that thing" means before your septuagenarian father keels over from holding the heavy object he lifted with little warning... *eyeroll*

LOL

On 6/12/2017 at 2:07 AM, Irlandesa said:

They ended the first competition after less than a half an hour and the person who held up the ball the longest---got booted.

It made the whole exercise pointless.  Why bother if they're just going to do pick on the playground teams?

I don't like the competition among the group leaders and the whining about that one guy picking the strongest people or whatever.  Don't whine, YOU pick a strong person then.  If you want the weaker ones to build your leadership blah whatever, well, don't complain about it.

I felt like that one woman with the bug spray, who jumped in the lake to get to the beds first, is a plant.  Suuure she cries about a bug on her boob, wears high heels and just jumps in the lake.  Allison is another annoying drama queen - I don't like Shermon either, but if he had called her a bitch, I'm sure the cameras would have shown it. 

Can I hope that the "out of reality central casting" people will be gone soon?  Natalie and that one chubby guy might be OK and there are a couple of people we haven't really seen. I still like John Cena and the location is pretty.  The rest....meh.  I liked last season, the competition among athletes (I'm trying not to whine myself).

On 6/12/2017 at 11:19 AM, icemiser69 said:

Having an adult with a wife and kids whine about his childhood, is not a good look. 

I know right???  I was always picked last too, so I know whereof I speak, LOL.  Stop whining dude!  Way too much whining from people in this episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't like Sherman's attitude.  The fact that he plainly said he doesn't work on teams is enough to not pick him.  A lot of last year's competition was teamwork, or being encouraging to your team.  I get that the Marine felt she could help him, and I hope she does, but there are three other people on the team who need a fourth.

I honestly don't know who to believe in the argument between Sherman and Agorophobic Mom.  I didn't hear the word bitch from him, even in the replay, but we also saw the edited version of their fight.  However, she seems like the kind of lady who hears what she wants to hear.  Did anyone hear him call her a bitch?  Besides, to tell him she didn't accept his apology and then, two minutes later, hug all over him seemed weird to me.  Guess I am leaning toward believing Sherman.  That'll be an interesting team to watch.

With the theme of the season being people who need grit, or to get their grit back, it seemed cruel to eliminate one before the comp even started.  Heather had a good attitude but I would still be hurt.

The three Cadre are going to be butt hurt because the drill sergeant "stacked" his team?  Looked like a schoolyard pick from the editing which means everyone had a chance to pick the bigger, in shape guys.  If they didn't, seems too bad for them.  I probably would've done the same thing.  Although I think Crying Girl is going to get on his last nerve.

Love John Cena again.   He is real, caring, and yet still honest with the contestants.  Is he married to that wrestling twin yet?

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

I honestly don't know who to believe in the argument between Sherman and Agorophobic Mom.  I didn't hear the word bitch from him, even in the replay, but we also saw the edited version of their fight.  

I didn't hear him call her that either, but it may have been bleeped. I say this bvecause the first time I watched the episode, when Alison accused him of calling her a bitch, I remember thinking, "I don't remember that. I don't remember him using your name either." So when I rewatched the episode so SimplyMom could see it (no, not because it was just that awesome or I have latent masochist tendencies), I paid close attention. According to the edited version of the fight we were shown, I never caught him using her name. They did bleep him two or three times, and the first time the context was where he very well could have been calling her a name. That said... I'm not sure.

It would have been nice if we could tell who was making stuff up.

53 minutes ago, simplyme said:

I didn't hear him call her that either, but it may have been bleeped. I say this bvecause the first time I watched the episode, when Alison accused him of calling her a bitch, I remember thinking, "I don't remember that. I don't remember him using your name either." So when I rewatched the episode so SimplyMom could see it (no, not because it was just that awesome or I have latent masochist tendencies), I paid close attention. According to the edited version of the fight we were shown, I never caught him using her name. They did bleep him two or three times, and the first time the context was where he very well could have been calling her a name. That said... I'm not sure.

It would have been nice if we could tell who was making stuff up.

Thank you.  I swear I didn't hear it but didn't know for sure.  Again, I think the lady may be a bit overstressed in this environment if she really is agoraphobic and may be hearing what is not really said to her.

I thought they were bleeping out during the "not hear to make friends" as in "fucking friends". 

I forgot she was agoraphobic, but I really wish she would be sure before accusing someone - I think if he HAD called her a bitch and the cameras didn't catch it, someone else in the group would have heard and corroborated.  I didn't like her ordering him out of the kitchen either.  I don't like Shermon for sure, but who is she to order him out of the kitchen?

Ugh, drama.  I will still watch next week because the physical stuff they've shown looks interesting.  Ultimately the team members will compete against each other because John Cena said that there will only be one winner.

2 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Love John Cena again.   He is real, caring, and yet still honest with the contestants.  

I agree.  In one of the interviews linked in the media thread, he talks about not being sure about the changes to the show but ultimately came around - which of course he would, he still wants the job, but I was glad to hear he at least had some misgivings.

45 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

Thank you.  I swear I didn't hear it but didn't know for sure.  Again, I think the lady may be a bit overstressed in this environment if she really is agoraphobic and may be hearing what is not really said to her.

That's what I thought too.  He didn't call her a bitch because I think they would have shown us that.  And I doubt they would have bleeped it out since they didn't bleep it out later.  And if they did because it was too close to another swear word, I believe they would have captioned it. 

That said, I think he was probably thinking it.  I think he gives off the aura of an asshole. So while she was wrong, I don't think she was deliberately lying.

And frankly, I don't think it matters.  There's already so much wrong with the things he said that it's clear he's here to be drama.

7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And frankly, I don't think it matters.  There's already so much wrong with the things he said that it's clear he's here to be drama.

I agree.  Who in their right mind would enter a competition so team oriented if they couldn't work with a team?  Someone there to cause drama, not discover their long hidden grit.  There are other reality shows to try and get a spot on that actively encourage people to backstab and turn on their teammates (not that it is not entertaining, it just isn't what THIS show is supposed to be about.)

26 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That said, I think he was probably thinking it.  I think he gives off the aura of an asshole. So while she was wrong, I don't think she was deliberately lying.

As he was talking, I saw the word in 40-point font in a thought balloon over his head...

• Love 3

I know.  It's not like I loved this show before but it was refreshingly different and focused on man vs. himself/herself.  And now  they seemed to have made the first challenge shorter and got rid of the gauntlet part before the final challenge in order to focus on the drama.  So far we have...

1) Some crazy thing one member of the winning team has to do to spare their team (the girl who shaved her head still looked terrific...ah to have that bone structure).

2) The winning cadre gets to select who will go up in the final challenge instead of each team selecting for themselves.

3) A hint of a flirtation between two people (Hello Bachelor/Bachelorette producer)

4) Silly obviously producer filled scenarios of George Foreman Jr. coming upon two people boxing and having him be exposed to his cadre who decides to have him catch a chicken.  Why do they have a chick coup there?

5) Team drama.  More team drama.  And then team drama to top it off.

• Love 1

What the heck happened to this show?  Not that it was that exciting to begin with, but this new version has nothing interesting at all.  I came in to it a half hour late last night due to a time change for the show, and they were already done with all challenges and just yammering on about nothing for the rest of the show.  And the final gauntlet or whatever was pretty weak.  

• Love 3

So out of the four sacrifices (shock collar, drinking the alligator shake, getting naked, and shaving your head), which would y'all have picked? I would have done the shock collar and getting naked with no hesitation, shaved head third, and I ain't drinking pureed alligator. I don't do that Fear Factor shit if I can avoid it. The girl who shaved her head looked amazing. She is cute enough that she can really pull that look off.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

So out of the four sacrifices (shock collar, drinking the alligator shake, getting naked, and shaving your head), which would y'all have picked? I would have done the shock collar and getting naked with no hesitation, shaved head third, and I ain't drinking pureed alligator. I don't do that Fear Factor shit if I can avoid it. The girl who shaved her head looked amazing. She is cute enough that she can really pull that look off.

'gator is pretty tasty, so if I had known what the challenges were, I'd have picked that one first; then getting naked (I have very little in the way of modesty taboo), then shaving my head (hair grows back) and the shock collar last.  (I think the "sacrifices" should have gotten harder as they went on.)

Sherman, since you didn't wait and make sure Allison picked up ther flag, your loss is as much your fault as hers.  That's what TEAM means.

It's almost funny to see Burke playing this as if it were the first season: he's here to win, not "transform" people.  He picked the strongest member of each team so that one competitive player would go home.  (I'd have picked dumb-ass Sherman, fake-ass Herman and why-the-hell-is-he-here George.)

My recording cut off just as they were moving into the second position.  Who went home?

I agree that there's too much time spent on the contestants and the cadre leaders - this show doesn't inspire my wanting to get to know any of these people.  I'm watching this like I've come to watch Survivor - I tune out all the interactions and conversations and focus in when the challenges happen.  

1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

So out of the four sacrifices (shock collar, drinking the alligator shake, getting naked, and shaving your head), which would y'all have picked?

I would do the collar or head shaving; the pain is only for a few seconds and hair grows back.  My naked days are behind me.  I'm built like the big guy on the yellow team, so nope nope nope.  I would gag on that gator milkshake.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

My recording cut off just as they were moving into the second position.  Who went home?

They all made it to the fourth position but Natalie (red team's "mama") couldn't hold on for too long after that and had to ring out.

Sorry, Cena. As many times as you say it's about grit, that elimination challenge is significantly harder for a somewhat-out-of-shape woman in her 40s than a young man in good shape in his 20s. Once I saw the elimination, I knew who was going home. 

How on God's green earth did Hannah get a hook complete with fish caught in her leg? 

I don't know how much longer I can take this show. I'm enjoying Richard and Gigi. Of course, I'm supposed to. I'd prefer if the cadre barely appeared on camera, as they seem to mostly be filling roles, driving drama, and pushing story lines.

Also, the challenges suck. Drinking a gross shake, getting naked, and the like are not sacrifices. They're things you do with your friends in college when drunk and bored. No real or lasting repercussions, just a bit of shock value for the viewing audience. The only thing there that could possibly count as a sacrifice was Melanie shaving her head, and she made it count double by donating the hair. Good for her. (Also, she looks great with a shaved head. Amazing facial shape and symmetry on that woman.)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, simplyme said:

1) Sorry, Cena. As many times as you say it's about grit, that elimination challenge is significantly harder for a somewhat-out-of-shape woman in her 40s than a young man in good shape in his 20s. Once I saw the elimination, I knew who was going home. 

2) How on God's green earth did Hannah get a hook complete with fish caught in her leg? 

3) I don't know how much longer I can take this show. I'm enjoying Richard and Gigi. Of course, I'm supposed to. I'd prefer if the cadre barely appeared on camera, as they seem to mostly be filling roles, driving drama, and pushing story lines.

4) Also, the challenges suck. Drinking a gross shake, getting naked, and the like are not sacrifices. They're things you do with your friends in college when drunk and bored. No real or lasting repercussions, just a bit of shock value for the viewing audience. The only thing there that could possibly count as a sacrifice was Melanie shaving her head, and she made it count double by donating the hair. Good for her. (Also, she looks great with a shaved head. Amazing facial shape and symmetry on that woman.)

1) I figured.  "It's not about strength." BS, Cena.  I don't care how much "grit" Natalie had, there was no way she was outlasting George.

2) It looked more like the hook was attached to a lure than a fish.  But it takes a special kind of stupid to get the hook wedged in her leg like that.

3) Even the cadres aren't as interesting as last season.

4) Exactly.

• Love 5

No one is being more fake than cadre leader Burk..... either that, or he sees this show as his audition for becoming the next Bachelor.  Sigh.  John Cena, I trusted you.... but I'm not going where you're taking this group. One more chance and then I'm out. Sigh.  I loved the first season SO much, and everything I loved about it, they took away. I don't even care if these kids get off my lawn, but damn if they didn't move my trailer while I was sleeping! :(

• Love 4

Ugh...that was not too much fun.  Divorce, cheating, howling, screaming, bickering - not what I watched this for last year. 

6 hours ago, simplyme said:

Also, the challenges suck. Drinking a gross shake, getting naked, and the like are not sacrifices.

Yup.  The elimination challenge had potential but there wasn't any doubt who would be going.  I miss the Circus, but there's no way most of these people would be able to complete it.

I kind of like Grady and the older guy on his team but I HATE their yowling.  I don't like the winning Cadre leader picking the elim challange contestants.  Burke is so phony, acting like he didn't know who he would pick.  He's phony about everything.

10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

So out of the four sacrifices (shock collar, drinking the alligator shake, getting naked, and shaving your head), which would y'all have picked? I

Shock collar, head shave (thought I wouldn't have looked anywhere near as good as Melanie did), naked, drink.  

Gigi's voice is awful; I can't decide if it's her real voice or a put on.

Ugh.

• Love 1

Why is Burke whining about Grady stacking his team when Burke wants the people who need more work (or wtte)? Burke annoys me.

I'm also annoyed at the yoga woman (Gill?) who had the affair. On the show she said something to the effect of this is the first time she has done something for herself. I guess she had the affair for her husband... WTF?

• Love 3