Type keyword(s) to search

Strong - General Discussion

• Start Topic

While Jill wasn't as heavy as some of the others, her pathetic attitude has come a long way since the beginning. Now, maybe that was her hook and character angle for the show, I don't know, but Bennie did have to do some work with her. Not to mention, there are a lot of "skinny fat" people out there that can't walk to the corner without being winded, so while she looked like it was nothing, I do think there has been a transformation.

Not to mention, I still believe Bennie got all of the other Trainers to step up their game in that they were made to focus on the fact that they were really there to assist these women. I just feel like his focus was on the women from the beginning and I like that.

Brittany was owed a better trainer and opportunity, not to mention, she competed with her bum foot. Not even Adam will be able to puff on that cigar.

I just feel like Purple tried to sneak their way in and it wasn't even so much Nicole as I think it was Mat that was pushing that agenda.

Hopefully there is a next season and like we all suggested earlier in the thread, the women will be of similar sizes and athletic backgrounds.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, simplyme said:

I think it's great Brittany got a second chance considering she was never the problem with her team.  I can see Ky being a good trainer to motivate certain people, but he wasn't able to perform the tasks well himself.  He really wasn't a good match for the show, and poor Brittany essentially dragged him as far as she could.  No other teams had the trainee essentially have to yell at and push and drive the trainer.

Admittedly grey was my favorite team, but I admire Brittany's ability to keep going in the face of adversity.  Jill seems nice but bland (and yes, started out smaller than many others).  

I agree with you.  I felt bad for Brittany when she had Ky.  She was the one that pushed him.  He wanted to quit during the sit-up challenge.  She was able to cross the corkscrew monkey bars.  It was sad to see her cry while Ky kept falling off that thing.

Grey was my favorite too.  Now, I'm going to cheer for Yellow because I don't like Bennie.  I don't agree that he was the one that made the trainers focus on the women.  I think all of them did from the beginning.  I think Bennie has anger issues and threatened people that sent them to the tower.  Jill is o.k.  She was smaller but she's also older than some if not all the other women.

(edited)

Damn. Yellow killed it. I am impressed with both of them - Brittany is a badass with her bruised foot. And Todd, as "old" as he is (compared to the other dudes), is just destroying it. Should be a good finale, I think we have two good teams. On a purely personal level I hope yellow wins just because blue has rubbed me the wrong way in the past, but they'd both be good.

And Nicole looks great in her update - she kind of looks like if Desiree from The Bachelorette and Kelly Clarkson had a baby.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 1

Wow, like a 20 second victory! Britney sure is tenacious. Let's be real, Bennie carried the blue team, even though Jill was no slouch. Kinda sucks that 2nd place doesn't get any money at all. Couldn't they spring for like a $5K consolation prize?

Jill put on 24 pounds lean muscle!

Who brought the dog?!

Yeah!

I was eating while watching and I was totally the Michael Jackson Popcorn gif.

So, so happy Blue team won. They were an original team from the beginning, they either won or lost their challenges, no gifts, no switching up, from the beginning to end. I love it.

I think I call shenanigans on the Tug O War. I don't know if I believe that kind of tactical mistake was made.

Brittany's ankle played a huge part in the wall push.

But, how about the five seconds wouldn't have even played a part? If they had won both rounds and ten seconds, it wouldn't have mattered?

I hope that everyone who watches American Ninja Warrior watches this show, because they keep bringing that back on and I need more seasons.

It's been real, y'all!

• Love 1

Jill ended at 12% body fat?! ....oh dear. That is the bare minimum body fat a woman can have and still have normal bodily function. I wonder if she's okay, psychologically. Someone needs to tell her that it is okay to stop and get into maintenance mode. It is very difficult (and generally not advised) to maintain a 12% body fat. 15-16% would be extremely athletic and give her a bit of a cushion so she doesn't have to worry about, ya know, not menstruating anymore.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Jill ended at 12% body fat?! ....oh dear. That is the bare minimum body fat a woman can have and still have normal bodily function. I wonder if she's okay, psychologically. Someone needs to tell her that it is okay to stop and get into maintenance mode. It is very difficult (and generally not advised) to maintain a 12% body fat. 15-16% would be extremely athletic and give her a bit of a cushion so she doesn't have to worry about, ya know, not menstruating anymore.

This just reinforces to me that the show is about losing weight and looks, NOT getting healthy and strong.  Supposedly this was all supervised.  I'm worried about the speed with which the weight was lost and the ability of these women to maintain, especially since I thought a couple were thin enough to make me nervous.  (Devin comes to mind.)  I know that losing weight rapidly is not always bad, but I wish I knew the women were also receiving occasional counseling to help address any issues that might have been partially responsible for their weight and also to head off any new issues.

Granted, this is probably why I generally don't watch weight-loss themed shows to begin with. :)  I may enjoy the competition aspect, but other aspects bother me.

I do want to say I've loved your insights on this show, @ClareWalks.  Nice to have a trainer of our own!

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, simplyme said:

This just reinforces to me that the show is about losing weight and looks, NOT getting healthy and strong.  Supposedly this was all supervised.  I'm worried about the speed with which the weight was lost and the ability of these women to maintain, especially since I thought a couple were thin enough to make me nervous.  (Devin comes to mind.)  I know that losing weight rapidly is not always bad, but I wish I knew the women were also receiving occasional counseling to help address any issues that might have been partially responsible for their weight and also to head off any new issues.

Granted, this is probably why I generally don't watch weight-loss themed shows to begin with. :)  I may enjoy the competition aspect, but other aspects bother me.

I do want to say I've loved your insights on this show, @ClareWalks.  Nice to have a trainer of our own!

Thanks so much! :) Yeah, I thought this show was at least slightly less "lose as much weight as possible" than the other shows, because at least they didn't say anyone's weight. At least, I can't find the starting weights of anyone. I was curious to find Jill's, especially, because at the end it also said she had GAINED 24 LB of muscle. Gained 24 lb of muscle. And is now 12% body fat. It just doesn't seem to add up, especially since she does not look bulky enough to have gained that much muscle. It is actually exceptionally difficult for women to gain that much muscle unless they basically started out as newborn babies.

I mean, let's take a hypothetical scenario and say Jill started at 180 lb and 35% body fat. That is 63 lb of fat that is on her body, including the base amount that a human female needs. Now let's assume that she gained 24 lb of muscle and didn't lose any fat. At 204 lb, 12% body fat means she has about 24.5 lb of fat on her body. So she lost 40 lb of fat in what, three months? And we know she ended up more like 145 lb, so she really lost about 50+ lb of fat, putting about half that back on in muscle. I cannot see how someone's metabolism can hold up to that kind of quick change. I mean, that is basically a total reversal of body composition.

• Love 1

Found this show on Netflix recently and did not realize it was 2 years old! I did like that eliminated contestants continued to train until the end of the show, although it was not always clear if it was with the same trainer. Benny was a bit too over the top for me, and it weirded me out that in the one picture of his family his wife was a dead ringer for Jill. Sad I missed out on the main discussion, and that it seems that there will not be any more seasons unless Netflix picks it up.

• Love 1
On 6/2/2016 at 8:16 PM, Kendall said:

I think I call shenanigans on the Tug O War. I don't know if I believe that kind of tactical mistake was made.

I think Bennie purposely threw that challenge so to save their strength for another leg.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:33 PM, Carrots4 said:

Found this show on Netflix recently and did not realize it was 2 years old! I did like that eliminated contestants continued to train until the end of the show, although it was not always clear if it was with the same trainer. Benny was a bit too over the top for me, and it weirded me out that in the one picture of his family his wife was a dead ringer for Jill. Sad I missed out on the main discussion, and that it seems that there will not be any more seasons unless Netflix picks it up.

Oh wow.  Netflix has been advertising it heavily recently and I thought it was new.    But now I see it's almost been five years since filmed.