Type keyword(s) to search

Autopsy: The Last Hours Of... - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2018 at 8:01 PM, Queena said:

How do I request a episode? Phyllis Hyman is someone I would love to learn more about. I can't afford to buy the rare biography on her, and her suicide is tragic to me. She also battled with her weight. Does anyone else remember Phyllis Hyman? Soul singer in the 70's and the 80's? 

FYI, Phyllis Hyman has been profiled on TVOne's Unsung series. (If you google Phyllis Hyman and Unsung, there are several links to viewing the episode online, if you don't get TVOne.)

• Love 2
On 5/7/2018 at 2:45 PM, atlantaloves said:

Hyman was a fantastic singer....seriously, she was perfection. I had several of her records back in the 70's or maybe early 80's. Loved her. 

Never knew of this talented singer until now. Thank you to the posters who brought her into my life. She was an amazing talented soulful singer. So hearbreaking that she left this world so tragically.

• Love 2
On 3/12/2018 at 9:43 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Saw the Farrah Fawcett one and it made me sad.  It sounds like had she agreed to chemo and a colostomy bad earlier she could have lived longer.  Good gosh even with an almost bald head that woman was gorgeous.  FF made some decisions (flying home too soon after Germany, refusing chemo ) that were her decisons, and I support those decisions as they are HERS, but man......I wish she was still around.  I totally get the hair thing - I am a little weird about my hair too but faced with cancer? 

Mindy McCready - mental issues, unbalanced and throw drinking and drug abuse in there....yowser.  Surprised she lived as long as she did.

Anissa Jones was so sad - I remember when she died and it was one of the first "Child Star Deaths" and it was so shocking.  Her body was so pumped full of drugs!!!  Her family was MESSED. UP.

I have been obsessed with Farrah since I saw Charlie’s Angels on that channel which runs shows from the seventies.  Man those shows were great.  Farrah was an amazing light.   So sad she died too young, but she did live a very full life.  Odd that such a thoughtful and intelligent woman ended up with an idiot like Ryan ONeal.

• Love 4
On 6/26/2018 at 11:54 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Did anyone see the James Dean episode?  Not to sound heartless but wasn't he sliced in half?  Wasn't that the cause of death?  Were they looking at drugs or alcohol in his system?

I saw this episode. They didn’t mention drugs and alcohol being in his system. Did they or could they even do tests like that back then? 

Anyway, they didn’t mention him being cut in half but did say he had pretty severe head injuries, broken arms, broken foot, severe injuries to the chest and torso.  Miraculously they claimed, based on eye witness accounts, he was still alive when loaded into the ambulance, but the ambulance was in a minor accident on the way to the hospital and that is what was believed to be what hastened his death. He didn’t have on a neck brace (it wasn’t standard back then), and the jolt from the ambulance accident caused further damage resulting in the official cause of death being by broken neck. 

Some individuals who knew him made the claim that they didn’t think he was the one that was actually driving that it was the mechanic that was driving, but they really couldn’t make that theory stick. 

If Dean had lived his life wouldn’t have been the same. His good looks and Hollywood career would’ve been over. Those that knew him commented that he would’ve rather died than live being disfigured and disabled. 

• Love 4

Let me preface with the fact that I love this show.  I have to chuckle though when Dr. Hunter has these "epiphanies" about the person. He makes it sound like he found out some amazing, previously unknown fact and says it in just that way.  It would be something like: "...I discovered that Amy Winehouse had a drinking problem..." or "...in my research, I uncovered that Kurt Cobain struggled with depression...".  I've now started to watch for it in every episode.

• Love 15
On 2/12/2019 at 5:57 AM, cynicat said:

Did anyone else see the Christopher Reeve episode.  Both sad and inspirational at the same time.

Haven't seen that one yet. But it sounds interesting. I'm just watching the Carrie Fisher episode for the first time.  

• Love 1
On 2/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, cynicat said:

Did anyone else see the Christopher Reeve episode.  Both sad and inspirational at the same time.

yes, it was.    Just saw the one on Lucille Ball.   I had no idea there was a forum for this.  

• Love 1

The Judy Garland one is so tragic...seriously, it was an accidental overdose, in spite of all her mental problems, she was actually doing okay, the poor little thing just couldn't sleep. What a loss at 47. I remember her death like it was yesterday, I was in college at the time.  

4 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

The Judy Garland one is so tragic...seriously, it was an accidental overdose, in spite of all her mental problems, she was actually doing okay, the poor little thing just couldn't sleep. What a loss at 47. I remember her death like it was yesterday, I was in college at the time.  

I didn’t think she was doing okay at all. She was a drug addict which Hollywood initiated and encouraged for their own gain, since the moment she entered the business as a young girl. 

If I’m remembering correctly she was popping pills and drinking alcohol as if both was a source of nutrition. She was severely underweight when she died and she looked terrible right before her death. She wasn’t that old. Just in her 40s but she looked like she was in her 60s. Sadly, I think death at a fairly young age was inevitable for her.

I agree though. Her story was very sad and tragic. 

On 9/28/2018 at 4:07 AM, Enero said:

that they didn’t think he was the one that was actually driving that it was the mechanic that was driving, but they really couldn’t make that theory stick. 

I didn't know there was another person in the car with him. I guess he died too? (DUH!)

(edited)
14 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I didn't know there was another person in the car with him. I guess he died too? (DUH!)

Surprisingly he (Rolf Wutherich) lived. He had injuries  - a fractured jaw and severely damaged hip. Though he survived, it's been said that he never mentally recovered from the accident. He suffered from depression and alcoholism. He was physically abusive towards the women he married after the accident and even tried to kill one of them. He spent time in a psychiatric hospital and eventually died, ironically, in a car crash. 

Edited by Enero
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/31/2019 at 10:54 PM, Enero said:

I didn’t think she was doing okay at all. She was a drug addict which Hollywood initiated and encouraged for their own gain, since the moment she entered the business as a young girl. 

If I’m remembering correctly she was popping pills and drinking alcohol as if both was a source of nutrition. She was severely underweight when she died and she looked terrible right before her death. She wasn’t that old. Just in her 40s but she looked like she was in her 60s. Sadly, I think death at a fairly young age was inevitable for her.

I agree though. Her story was very sad and tragic. 

She was part of the Hollywood system. They took a girl, who probably already had a shaky self esteem, and got her started on diet pills. When she couldn't sleep, they gave her sleeping pills..... it turned into a vicious cycle. She couldn't get by without any of them. I read that she was anorexic as well. 

One book I read ages ago mentioned how Shirley Temple was the beautiful, golden child of Hollywood and Judy was not. Shirley had a mother who looked out for her best interests and she is lucky she didn't fall curse of the child star. 

• Useful 2

Just saw the one about Judy Garland. Hollywood used her up and spit her out. She may have been younger than 50 but in reality she was very old. So sad that she allowed these men to control her money and they didnt care about what she needed to maybe get healthy again. Hard to believe she was singing in nightclubs for 125.00 a night. What a waste.

There have been some interesting episodes lately.  The Glen Campbell one was so very sad, I almost couldn't watch till the end.  The take on Jeffrey Epstein was fascinating, and how can you not love Audrey Hepburn?

7 hours ago, cynicat said:

There have been some interesting episodes lately.  The Glen Campbell one was so very sad, I almost couldn't watch till the end.  The take on Jeffrey Epstein was fascinating, and how can you not love Audrey Hepburn?

I haven't seen the episode about Glen Campbell. I did watch a documentary on the last couple years of his life during his Alzheimer's diagnosis. His family did a great job of honoring him as a good human being, an exceptional musician, a loving father/husband.

It was definitely a documentary that brought tears to my eyes. 

• Love 2

I've just started binge watching this series. Most of the seasons are pretty old, so, I'll have to find where the newer ones are located. Those I have found are on Amazon Prime.  

What strikes me the most I think is how incredibly careless the person is with taking large amounts of prescribed or illegal medication and drugs. I guess I'm funny that way, but, I think really hard before taking an extra strength tylenol.  lol  To kick back with loads of benzos, pain pills, sleeping pills, alcohol, and cocaine just for the hell of it......It's difficult to imagine that so many of these celebrities seem to treat this so casually.   Another stand out that seems common is that when the famous person is in real medical crisis, those around do everything but, call 911. That's just ridiculous.  Especially, those  on Brittney Murphy, Anna Nicole Smith,  Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger,  and River Phoenix. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Another stand out that seems common is that when the famous person is in real medical crisis, those around do everything but, call 911. That's just ridiculous.  Especially, those  on Brittney Murphy, Anna Nicole Smith,  Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger,  and River Phoenix. 

Hi, @SunnyBeBe!!

It's been awhile since I've seen these.

I do, however, remember River Phoenix's death like it was yesterday. I was a sophomore in high school spending the weekend at my best friend's house and my Mom called to tell me.

Joaquin actually called 911 and had the unfortunate luck to speak with the biggest wanker alive. Not only was he rude to Joaquin, but he told him to have their sister stop trying to give River CPR (!!!)!

They were playing the 911 call ALL over Hard Copy, Inside Acess, Entertainment Tonight and all those shows. Poor Joaquin and family. May the photographer that slipped in and took a picture of dead River to the National Enquirer rot in hell!!

Edited by punkypower
  • Love 2

Yeah, the 911 operator seemed a little lost.  Was asking the address, though, Joaquin had given the street intersection names.  Apparently, that's still a big thing, as I recently saw a man staying in a hotel call 911 after a stroke and say what hotel he was in, but, because he didn't know the address they weren't able to send paramedics.  I mean, most people in the hotel don't know the number of the street address.  He used his cell to call, because, he was physically not able to move to get the room phone.  It was like the 911 operator wanted to argue with him about giving him the street address.  Like, man, I'm dying, please google it for me!

• Love 4

Oh man...I had no idea all the odd stuff about Jimi Hendrix.  I’m not sure what to believe. This show is called The Final 24. Is this a version of Autopsy?? It’s not as good, imo.

9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh man...I had no idea all the odd stuff about Jimi Hendrix.  I’m not sure what to believe. This show is called The Final 24. Is this a version of Autopsy?? It’s not as good, imo.

It's different from Autopsy because that show, IIRC, focuses specifically on just the autopsy (which is also fascinating).  This show looks more at all the surrounding, ancillary causes that led up to the death in addition to talking about the actual final diagnosis.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

It's different from Autopsy because that show, IIRC, focuses specifically on just the autopsy (which is also fascinating).  This show looks more at all the surrounding, ancillary causes that led up to the death in addition to talking about the actual final diagnosis.

Ok. I like the Autopsy show better.  The last hrs show I saw on Prince was so over the top. The narrator sounded like the president of the Prince fan club.  And the one on Jimi Hendrix didn’t have a medical expert! Odd.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
(edited)

I found some more Autopsy episodes on Reelz.  I really like that network.  I'm doing a 30 day free trial.  One thing that stands out to me is that these celebrities nor their families seemed to believe in Hospice. No matter how much the end was near and pain was present, they just kept doing it solo or returning to the hospital.  Did doctors not recommend hospice? It's unfortunate.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I found some more Autopsy episodes on Reelz.  I really like that network.  I'm doing a 30 day free trial.  One thing that stands out to me is that these celebrities nor their families seemed to believe in Hospice. No matter how much the end was near and pain was present, they just kept doing it solo or returning to the hospital.  Did doctors not recommend hospice? It's unfortunate.  

Who knows...maybe they did?  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kelly said:

Who knows...maybe they did?  🤷🏻‍♀️

Maybe, they got hospice referrals, but, it doesn't appear they were used in most of the cases that I have watched.  The dying person went home and died with a spouse or was returned to the hospital to attempt life saving treatments.  I'm referring to Barry White, Lou Reed and some others. 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, they got hospice referrals, but, it doesn't appear they were used in most of the cases that I have watched.  The dying person went home and died with a spouse or was returned to the hospital to attempt life saving treatments.  I'm referring to Barry White, Lou Reed and some others. 

It also depends on when they died.  While the concept of hospice has been around for a very long time, I don't believe it was routinely embraced as a 'thing' (or covered by insurance) until relatively recently.  I couldn't exactly say when, but I feel like it as around the late 90's early 2000's when it was recognized more widely in the US.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I found some more Autopsy episodes on Reelz.  I really like that network.

I've only seen Autopsy on Reelz. Where have you watched it besides Reelz?

37 minutes ago, Katmai said:

I've only seen Autopsy on Reelz. Where have you watched it besides Reelz?

I think it was on HBO....or Amazon. I watched quite a few episodes, including those for Philip Seymour Hoffman, River Phoenix, Elvis, Morrison, etc. Then, I recently found this season on Reelz. It has Taylor, Cash, Bowie and others.

• Love 1

I've found Autopsy episodes on Amazon. I think there were also some on the Roku channel (yes I have a Roku). 

I generally like the show, but sometimes I get tired of the straw man stuff. Where they say, "but wait, this happened to the person at X years of age - did it cause their death?" and then after they set it up, they demolish it. Like, a Hollywood star who used uppers back in the 50's but stopped before it did any damage. Or an injury when they were a kid. Stuff like that. For some people IMO they really have to dig to try to create some drah-mah about their cause of death. 

OTOH I thought they did a good job with the Elvis Presley episode. 

Even when I get exasperated with it, it's still overall IMO a good show and not generally a waste of bandwidth. 

• Love 3

Oh, I agree.  I've learned quite a bit, however, I am somewhat addicted to bio pieces about celebs and medical info.  With most them, there is a recurring theme.  So far, some of the most bizarre that I seen have been James Brown and Brittney Murphy. 

• Love 2
On 5/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

So far, some of the most bizarre that I seen have been James Brown and Brittney Murphy. 

I would love to see the episode about Brittney Murphy. I think the I.D. channel is running a special episode about her next week. I forgot the exact date.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I would love to see the episode about Brittney Murphy. I think the I.D. channel is running a special episode about her next week. I forgot the exact date.

The one that featured Brittney Murphy was very interesting. I also read up on the aftermath. Very bizarre. 

Those on John Denver and Dennis Wilson were too. I find them quite informative.

• Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The one that featured Brittney Murphy was very interesting. I also read up on the aftermath. Very bizarre. 

Those on John Denver and Dennis Wilson were too. I find them quite informative.

I lost a very dear friend a few months ago. He was found over 120 miles from his home in a dirt road. His vehicle was burned to the ground. He died from thermal injuries (burns) and smoke inhalation. 

None of his family cares. I'd love to know how this happened but it's not an open investigation so I haven't gotten very far in gathering info, and probably won't. Unless you're a celebrity or a rich person, you pretty much get written off "case closed". 

I'm heartbroken. This was a man who served 4+ years in Vietnam. Led a good life, married in his 40's to the love of his life. She died from brain cancer years ago. 

I wish I could fight for him to find out who killed him but so far, I just hit a brick wall. I like watching this show because I hopefully can learn from it and find justice for my friend. 

Edited by chenoa333
4 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I lost a very dear friend a few months ago. He was found over 120 miles from his home in a dirt road. His vehicle was burned to the ground. He died from thermal injuries (burns) and smoke inhalation. 

None of his family cares. I'd love to know how this happened but it's not an open investigation so I haven't gotten very far in gathering info, and probably won't. Unless you're a celebrity or a rich person, you pretty much get written off "case closed". 

I'm heartbroken. This was a man who served 4+ years in Vietnam. Led a good life, married in his 40's to the love of his life. She died from brain cancer years ago. 

I wish I could fight for him to find out who killed him but so far, I just hit a brick wall. I like watching this show because I hopefully can learn from it and find justice for my friend. 

I’m so sorry to see about your dear friend’s death. I have two longtime friends who died mysteriously as well. I tried to explore why, with little success. Both were under suspicious circumstances. 

Have you requested a copy of the autopsy or investigative report? In my state it’s public record. I got them and it bolstered my suspicions. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m so sorry to see about your dear friend’s death. I have two longtime friends who died mysteriously as well. I tried to explore why, with little success. Both were under suspicious circumstances. 

Have you requested a copy of the autopsy or investigative report? In my state it’s public record. I got them and it bolstered my suspicions. 

Autopsy report yes, I inquired. The cost is $51.00 which I don't have right at the moment but intend to pay for it when I can.

I still have to find out whether he died in Ventura City CA or, Ventura County CA. Apparently they are 2 separate entities.

Thanks for your kind words and I'm sorry you as well, have lost friends under mysterious circumstances.

• Love 1

Any thoughts on the John Belushi episode? I have a big soft spot for him, although  like many of the other people covered on this show, those last 24 hours (actually the last several months in his case) are too sad to think about. I wish he'd gotten clean. He would have been fun to have cameos on SNL. Especially now.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 1:06 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Any thoughts on the John Belushi episode? I have a big soft spot for him, although  like many of the other people covered on this show, those last 24 hours (actually the last several months in his case) are too sad to think about. I wish he'd gotten clean. He would have been fun to have cameos on SNL. Especially now.

Yes. I think I saw it. I watched a bio about him and his life recently, but, I’m not positive it was Autopsy:Final Hours.  I’ll check it out soon to confirm. From what I saw, it was very self destructive the way he was doing such heavy drugs. If that woman had stayed, would it have mattered?

Have you seen the one on Chris Farley? He had said he wanted to die like Belushi....and he did. 

I loved Belushi. He was on SNL when it was funny, imo. Loved his other work too. I SAW Belushi AND Dan Aykroid in NYC getting into an elevator At Rockefeller Center, (NBC) not long before his death. I even got a photo of him. Will post if I can find it. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
(edited)

The bio that I saw previously on Belushi was not Autopsy.  I watched Autopsy last night.  It was better than the one I saw previously, as it gave more medical info and some other stuff that I hadn't seen before.  I couldn't believe they talked about him returning to NYC and hanging out with Aykroid right before he returned to LA and died.  I think that is the time frame that I saw him, Aykroid and some other friends at the NBC building. 

He died so young.  I just wonder what goes through people's mind when they take such huge risks like doing heroin and cocaine together.....I mean, why wouldn't your mind say NO, that's dangerous.  I would think anyone would know that. I think that's what killed River Phoenix too.  

Have there been any of the celebrity deaths where the celebrity wasn't insecure. It seems all of these people had demons, issues, fear, depression, etc.  They seemed unable to adjust to life.  It's really sad.  No amount of fame or money can make you happy.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Supposedly one of the things that triggered Belushi's relapse was how poorly Continental Divide was received after he out his heart and soul into doing a serious part. The fact that few people bought him as a romantic lead and apparently only wanted him to play Bluto forever must've really smarted. And that makes me mad because Continental Divide was a great movie and deserved better than it actually got. 

Kind of similar to how Chris Farley was really making an effort with sobriety until he saw the test screening of Beverly Hills Ninja and was so humiliated by what he saw. Of course that wasn't the only reason why he fell off the wagon but it helped set off all his body image issues. Poor Chris. It always breaks my heart how convinced he was that no beautiful woman could love him unless she was a hooker.

• Love 3

Yeah, but even classically good looking celebs were, seemingly, tortured with insecurity, like River Phoenix, Elvis, George Michael, Corey Haim, Corey Monteith, Brittney Murphy, and others.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It always breaks my heart how convinced he was that no beautiful woman could love him unless she was a hooker.

Maybe he could've looked for a woman with a kind heart and soul instead of the typical Hollywood arm candy. Nevertheless, it was a sad demise.

• Love 2
On 5/25/2020 at 10:06 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I'm wondering if John's personal trainer (the one that found John dead) knew that Belushi was a drug addict and an alcoholic? It seems to me that a personal trainer would want their client to detox and get off the drugs and alcohol BEFORE they started the client on a physical fitness regime.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, chenoa333 said:

I'm wondering if John's personal trainer (the one that found John dead) knew that Belushi was a drug addict and an alcoholic? It seems to me that a personal trainer would want their client to detox and get off the drugs and alcohol BEFORE they started the client on a physical fitness regime.

He actually had been clean when he started with the personal trainer.

• Useful 1

Did you catch the documentary about Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher? I think it’s on HBO.  Carrie is on a treadmill giving interview and it appears she’s  high or drunk. She said she was in good shape. I wonder about that. 

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did you catch the documentary about Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher? I think it’s on HBO.  Carrie is on a treadmill giving interview and it appears she’s  high or drunk. She said she was in good shape. I wonder about that. 

I read a article on her last days (Carrie) and talk about sad. May her and her Mom rest in peace. 

• Love 1