Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Ruby Slippers

• Start Topic

In flashbacks, Ruby and Mulan find themselves in Oz, where they meet Dorothy. After the three witness Zelena’s return to Oz, they look for a way to defeat her once and for all. However, Dorothy mysteriously disappears, and Ruby’s search for her new friend lands her in the Underworld. Reunited with the heroes, Ruby teams up with Emma, Regina and Snow to continue looking for Dorothy. Meanwhile, Snow and David struggle with not being able to be with their son, Neal, and devise a plan so that one of them can escape the Underworld.

Almost every romance on this show has the exact same antagonistic first meeting. Can they stop making Mulan the sidekick to everyone else? Nice touch melting Auntie Em.

They finally remembered the unused sleeping curse from Season 3! 

Belle, no!

• Love 6

I really enjoyed Methan Ory’s great acting, and it demonstrates how much she could have brought to the show if she had stayed through the past few seasons.  It was nice seeing Mulan again also.  And I liked that we could see the friendship between Red and Snow.  The true love between Red and Dorothy seemed to happen too fast, but the story was okay.  I was so happy when Charming exchanged his name for Snow.  It was wonderful to see their love highlighted again.

So now Henry is awake while he is writing?

And how dopey is Belle for putting herself under a sleeping curse?  I guess it was the only way to explain Emilie’s absence during the latter stage of her pregnancy.  Does this mean that Belle and Rumple no longer have true love since Belle says only her father can wake her?

There were a few nice moments between Snow and Charming, Snow and Red and some of the others, but this episode didn't seem as interesting to me as previous episodes.  However - hurrah that this time the CGI blue flaming hair did NOT make an appearance!

• Love 4

..........I am so sick of Zelena and Hades I could puke.  I have never been so bored.

How could they take one of Disney's best villains and one of the most iconic characters in history and make them both suck?  No wonder ratings are in a freefall.

This show also underuses Emma Caulfield.  This is a sin.  A woman with that much charisma and ability to bring much to a minor character shouldn't just be given one scene - You sign her to a three season contract.

Lesbian Ruby and Dorothy but no Aurora for Mulan?  Screw you, show.

I swear I've seen the actress who played Aunt Em before but I don't know where.

I'm guessing Ginnifer Goodwin is being written out temporarily for reasons?

And I was able to come across an Oz only slightly more underwhelming than the one on this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC--dPel-4o

Look at it!  LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 6

I loved David's "I guess you've grown on me a bit" to Hook.

And now we have Emilie and Ginny safely in offscreensville, or very limited sightings, for the rest of their pregnancies and maternity leave.  Maybe we'll get more David/Hook interactions out of it, too.

• Love 9

I waited an entire season for Mulan and Red and instead got Dorothy and Ruby...I want my time back.

I get that, and I definitely want Mulan to have a happy ending, but I also really like that they had two gay characters (presumably, in Mulan's case) that don't automatically get together. That's fairly rare on shows that aren't predominately about gay people. So I'm OK that Toto has two mommies.

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 16

If this means that I can finally be free from the boredom that is Rumbelle, I'll take whatever I can get. That whole storyline is just so boring.

I would have much rather seen a Mulan/Red romance than a Red/Dorothy romance. She's been there for two episodes? How many women are going to overlook Mulan? She's freaking awesome!

• Love 16

Well, it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting it to be. There was way less Oz than I was anticipating.

Dorothy was, pretty unlikeable. I don't feel like she and Ruby really knew each other long enough to get to cute nicknames. It sort of loses something when you exposit the creation of cute nicknames. I think I just wanted more development there. I really like Mulan now, as opposed to season 2 where I found her pretty wooden. I hope she eventually gets her own storyline.

Aww, Hook and David. There's the bromance. I mean not really, but it was a nice moment.

Belle, wow. I just ... Wow.

I second the nice continuity of finally using Chekovs gun instead of creating random magical solution we have never mentioned prior to this episode.

Actual nice emotional moments for Emma and her parents. Thank you.

Edited by Selina K
  • Love 6

Dorothy was, pretty unlikeable. I don't feel like she and Ruby really knew each other long enough to get to cute nicknames. It sort of loses something when you exposit the creation of cute nicknames.

And they were such clunky, awful cutesy nicknames.  I cringed, a little.  (Plus, yes, Dorothy was pretty unlikable.  Not quite Merida-bad, but not likable.)

• Love 6

Well... that was something. It was okay, but meaningless.

I honestly could not care any less about Red, Mulan and Dorothy. The writers botched the LGBT relationship on so many levels. This was not organic, feasible or likable - this was two women for the express purpose of being two women. It was rushed and incredibly unnecessary. The person I was watching with kept asking, "Why is Dorothy important?" The answer was she wasn't. She was a detour that didn't need to happen. Mulan gets the short end of the stick again and Red is shoved wherever the plot needs to go. Whatever, show.

(Plus, yes, Dorothy was pretty unlikable.  Not quite Merida-bad, but not likable.)

I tolerated Dorothy a little more because she had legitimate reasons for being in a bad mood. At least she had a couple of softer moments. That being said, I hope we never see her, Mulan or Red again.

Also, tables flipped.  Really, A&E?  This is your big oh-so-important LGBT story?  One that happened in full in just one episode, between characters that had no relevancy to the main story arc whatsoever?

Mulan and Red would have worked so much better. Why? Because at least they've had a few weeks together. Red falling in love with Dorothy in a manner of hours then pulling off a freaking TLK was ridiculous. Not even the rushed Zelena/Hades romance did that. Heck, Outlaw Queen and Captain Swan have been going on for months without one.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 9

Well, now I think we know the backstory behind this.

Also, the tables have been flipped.  Really, A&E?  This is your big oh-so-important LGBT story?  One that happened in full in just one episode, between characters that had no relevancy to the main story arc whatsoever?  Gimme a break...

Does this mean that Belle and Rumple no longer have true love since Belle says only her father can wake her?

Belle explained to Hook in 5x02 that a TLK would never work between them after that first "almost" time once Rumple became fully aware of the possibility and chose to embrace his power instead.  Since he is still unashamedly hanging on to his power to the point of admitting that he loves the dagger, it's safe to say that a TLK still would not work.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 6

(Plus, yes, Dorothy was pretty unlikable.  Not quite Merida-bad, but not likable.)

Everyone hated Mulan for the same reason when she was first introduced, and now she's a fan favorite. So maybe there's hope for Dorothy.

• Love 3

Why did they even bother writing the pregnancy in? This really falls in the column of shit that makes no sense.

I don't know about Ruby Slippers. I was already invested in Mulan Rouge. The only thing I was happy about with this outcome is that Mulan didn't seem heartbroken or anything like that about Ruby being in insta-love with Dorothy. 

I felt bad for auntie Em. Hades really sucks balls. Hard.

I enjoyed the Killian/David scenes. Also, Hades didn't enchant the hand, he gave him a chisel. The writers can't even keep track of what they wrote 6 episodes ago.

• Love 6

Liked:

Emma's emotional moments with her parents

Captain Charming

David's sacrifice for Snow

I also think we'll get more core characters now that people are getting the hell out of hell.

Once again, I didn't feel invested in the true love romance they were trying to sell. Too much, too quickly.

• Love 3

I still want Red with Dr. Frankenstein (even if he is busy playing a zombie on another show).  And I think it's weird that both this and Supernatural have gone with lesbian Dorothy, although I guess it's easier to work in since there's no romantic angle in the source material to contradict it. I love the Red/Snow White friendship and wish we could have gotten more before they shipped off Ginnifer Goodwin for maternity leave.

And I'm just gonna say it: Auntie Em! Auntie Em!

• Love 5

Nice touch melting Auntie Em.

I'm taking that as proof that everyone is getting out of that river in the end.

The only thing I loved about this episode was Hook and Charming's Bromance being canon.

That was the only scene I liked.

And how dopey is Belle for putting herself under a sleeping curse?

However - hurrah that this time the CGI blue flaming hair did NOT make an appearance!

At least Belle isn't a tree.

I agree. Hurray for no blue hair!

• Love 2

Can't they send more people from hell with the slippers?  one comes back, two leave etc...this way they can save the baby, Belle and Henry.

WHERE is Pan? 

Edited by Hook75
  • Love 9

Didn't the Mulan and Ruby adventure with Merida last fall heavily foreshadow Mulan and Ruby? Yet Mulan is once again relegated to side kick and true love can happen after just meeting and going for a walk? And Hook and Emma have traveled through time and to hell for each other but no TLK in sight after multiple attempts!?

I did chuckle at the C story of Captain Charming and D story of Belle choosing a sleeping curse over trying to solve her own problem. Who chooses a sleeping curse as a way to hide from their problems? #bellefail

• Love 3

By this shows logic, I can have True Love with a person whos profile I read on Tinder. Show, its great that you want to have an LGBTQ relationship, but could you at least have put in a little more effort? Pretty please? And poor Mulan! Always the bridesmaid. My kingdom for a love interest for Mulan! 

Maybe its the two glasses of wine I drank while watching this, but I did enjoy this episode. I LOVED the Charming/Hook scene. Loved it. See, when you have characters just sit down and freaking TALK, good things happen! That one scene was basically worth everything else. 

So Uncle Henry had Dorthy committed, and then they offed Auntie Em? This show is fucking DARK. I am also very amused by the fact that it seems like the same 12 people keep bumping into each other, all over the multiverse. What is everyone else doing? 

Belle makes the worst life choices ever. 

• Love 6

I didn't expect this ep to bring the Charming Family Feels. I love that Hook/David got a scene to themselves and that they found a way to send Snow back to baby Neal. Hook's penmanship on the grave was adorably childlike.

Favorite line: Chisel Chin Jr.

I wish I could point my pen at paper and have words magically appear, Henry.

Not sure I buy Red/Dorothy. Too rushed. Glad they didn't shy away from the big kiss (this being Disney and all) at the end even if it wasn't earned.

Belle can stay sleeping.

Zelena and Regina had a few nice moments, but I'm bummed there will be more Zelena focus next week. Hades and Zelena are weird together.

• Love 5

Can't they send more people from hell with the slippers?  one comes back, two leave etc...this way they can save the baby, Belle and Henry.

I think they can't use the slippers to get to the Underworld, but apparently summoning spells work. 

Everyone hated Mulan for the same reason when she was first introduced, and now she's a fan favorite. So maybe there's hope for Dorothy.

Not sure about everyone. I adore Mulan and always have. I've never found her unlikable. I didn't find Dorothy unlikable either, I just think this romance was copy pasted from almost every love story they've done on this show, especially Snow and Charming, right down to the munchkins watching over sleeping Dorothy instead of dwarves. Dorothy in this episode was very similar to Snow Falls era Snow.  

• Love 3
By this shows logic, I can have True Love with a person whos profile I read on Tinder. Show, its great that you want to have an LGBTQ relationship, but could you at least have put in a little more effort? Pretty please? And poor Mulan! Always the bridesmaid. My kingdom for a love interest for Mulan!

What I find frustrating is that the couple is disposable, you know. I thought the moment was really nice, even though Mulan, completely short changed the character. I still don't get why it had to be Dorothy unless Disney was like well you can't because Mulan...

But the couple is disposable. Ruby and Dorothy are in Oz, we will likely never see them again, so what's the use?

• Love 3
Also, Hades didn't enchant the hand, he gave him a chisel. The writers can't even keep track of what they wrote 6 episodes ago.

Hey, Hook FINALLY used his ability to never remember details correctly for good!

I'm taking that as proof that everyone is getting out of that river in the end.

They've sent in THREE people now, this one being as innocent as you can get.  They're definitely all getting freed.

I still don't get why it had to be Dorothy unless Disney was like well you can't because Mulan...

Disney may have been involved, yes. The plan may have been for Ruby/Mulan, then Disney got wind of it once "The Bear King" aired and told them that they can't do that with one of their Princesses. Thus, Dorothy was re-introduced.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 6

I wish I could contribute something insightful to this discussion, but I can't. I liked the Captain Charming moments, and the Snowing scene in the cemetery was awesome. I couldn't bring myself to care about the rest of that mess.

• Love 7

I still don't get why it had to be Dorothy unless Disney was like well you can't because Mulan...

Maybe Disney didn't want any of their princesses to be LGBT? That would explain why its Red Riding Hood and Dorothy. Maybe they stepped in after 5x09?

Edited by KingOfHearts

So, yeah.  All of the Charming Jones family feels were everything I wanted and needed to see.  Fantastic development on that end. HERE. FOR. IT!

Count me as one of the frustrated/irate/exasperated number when thought Mulan got the shaft.  Seeing a poorly developed couple (what the hell did Ruby see in Dorthy?!  I wanted a proctologist to come get the stick out of her butt the whole episode.  She was such an unlikable bizzo, ugh!) get a rushed and sorry excuse for a TLK pissed me right off.  The fact that we are STILL WAITING for anything remotely like that to confirm what we already know about CS is mind boggling to me.  And yes, it just anyone can have one after meeting someone for all of half a day, it sure as hell cheapens what a TLK really means.  *flips table*

• Love 6

I knew what was coming, but I was sort of hoping Toto would give Dorothy the TLK. Hey, a grumpy girl's best friend is her little dog! In the end, I didn't mind the idea of Red and Dorothy and I liked their kiss afterwards.I wasn't really invested in MulanRouge, and Mulan will be okay. She find her own warrior.

The big win for me was the CaptainCharming moment, of course, and Snowing in the cemetery, and Snow and Red. And the Blind Witch.

Belle just continues to confuse me. A sleeping curse? Yeah, they had to cut down on her screen time eventually, but why even go there? Hate to say I wont' miss her.

For the first time, Zelena bored me. I'm not sure I like this constant self-pity.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 2

Snow is back in Storybrooke, so I'm gonna fanwank that Mulan went too, Philip was revealed to have died as a flying monkey (we never did see him after he got turned, unlike Aurora) and she and Aurora got together.

Also, why are some people dismissive of Belle taking a sleeping curse to save her baby?  It's no less stupid than Snow taking it to save Charming or Henry taking it to save his mother in S1. It's pretty consistent with other heroes on this show. On that note, I liked that we actually got to see Belle feeling remorseful for what she did to Gaston, and rightfully declare Rumple as a toxic influence on her.  Keep that attitude up, Belle, and I might like you again!

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 5

This show also underuses Emma Caulfield. This is a sin. A woman with that much charisma and ability to bring much to minor character shouldn't just be given one scene - You sign her to a three season contract.

I meant to say in my previous post that I agree with this 100%

• Love 1

Not sure about everyone. I adore Mulan and always have. I've never found her unlikable.

It was a hyperbolic "everyone" for sure, but I remember a lot of criticism of Mulan from season 2 (although I think some of that was from people annoyed that they were introducing new characters instead of having quality Emma/Snow/Charming time). Many posters also noted the less the angry Mulan and began warming up to her. So not everyone, no, but it was a noticeable contingent (and for what it's worth, I liked her from the beginning as well).

On a totally different subject, there was a part of me that really wishes Hook had written Rumpel's name on the tombstone. I know that it wouldn't be right to force that on someone without their consent, and there's no use in poking that bear, but it would have still been satisfying.

• Love 3

Also, why are some people dismissive of Belle taking a sleeping curse to save her baby?  It's no less stupid than Snow taking it to save Charming or Henry taking it to save his mother in S1. It's pretty consistent with other heroes on this show.  On that note, I liked that we actually got to see Belle feeling remorseful for what she did to Gaston, and rightfully declare Rumple as a toxic influence on her.

At least Belle has a reason for sleeping in half her scenes now. She could have been in a sleeping curse for most of S4.

Why was Killian's hook enchanted? I thought Hades gave him a chisel. Hades even mentioned the hook might be an impairment.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

So-so episode with some good moments.

The Dorothy/Ruby romance came out of nowhere in the episode, though I was expecting it to happen from spoilers. The actresses had zero chemistry. And Mulan gets to watch yet another couple TLK?? I mean, come on!!! A&E did make this a "special" LGBT episode, despite promising otherwise.

Poor Auntie Em. Add her to the list of people who need to be saved from the River of Lost Souls. That makes me hopeful they will get saved.

Hades is creepy, not romantic. He will easily turn against Zelena if she rejects him again. 

I LOVED all the Captain Charming!! Hook thanking Charming, and Charms telling Hook has grown on him. Aww... It was a clever more for Hook to erase Snow's name from the gravestone and replace it with Charming's. And Emma looking so proud of her boo... Snowing farewell made me teary. Those two still get me...

Claude didn't even react to Hook?? What was the point?

Chisel Chin Jr. Best ever!! I am soooo going to miss Cruella when this arc is over.

It's nice that Henry's Author skills are being put to good use this half-season.

Well, Belle put herself to sleep this time. At least she was not fool enough to think Rumple would save her.

...true love can happen after just meeting and going for a walk? 

They went for a ride. If you know what I mean. ;-)

• Love 2

I did chuckle at the C story of Captain Charming and D story of Belle choosing a sleeping curse over trying to solve her own problem. Who chooses a sleeping curse as a way to hide from their problems? #bellefail

Regina did, until Zelena stopped her.

• Love 1
InsertWordHere, on 17 Apr 2016 - 9:36 PM, said:InsertWordHere, on 17 Apr 2016 - 9:36 PM, said:

Are we sure the Rumbelle baby won't still grow with Belle under a sleeping curse?

We aren't. We also don't know if the sleeping curse is predictable in the Underworld. It wasn't predictable in "our world" so, who's to say that it is in the Underworld?

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 3

Are we sure the Rumbelle baby won't still grow with Belle under a sleeping curse? Maybe this show will go really dark and have Belle wake up with a baby at her breast like in that one version of Sleeping Beauty.

Theoretically, it should put the pregnancy "on hold" until Belle is awakened, just as Aurora's pregnancy was put "on hold" after Zelena turned her and Phillip into flying monkeys.

• Love 2

You telling me that Mulan, the girl who saved China can't find someone to love on this show that has Rumplestilskin who has this desperate woman begging him to change because she loves him so much? I can't.

• Love 12

Count me as another who would've preferred to see Red Warrior over "Ruby Slippers" (or Wolfie Kansas? Ew).  At least it seems like Mulan and Red like each other.  While Meghan Ory was trying her best to sell the instalove, I found Dorothy absolutely charmless (and I honestly don't expect her to show up again, so there's little chance of me ever finding her likable).  But maybe now we can get a Shang (male or female, doesn't matter to me) for Mulan?

I'm definitely ready for this arc to quit it with the filler and go somewhere.

• Love 7

Me, outloud to Zelena upon her kidnapping Toto: Drown Bitch!

I hope Toto has some secret past with Pongo, Abu, and Pumba, with the later three avenging their friend by knocking off Zelena & Hades.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 3

I had hopes that we would get to see a bit more Oz this week. I mean, if we are going back in time to waste more time away from the plot, we might as well get some cool Oz stuff out of it.  I know I complain about too much plot, but then this show will just go off on some random tangent story, with characters like Dorthy (generic action girl type) who we do not even know! There is so much to Oz, both in the books and in the movies, and they used nothing! Why even bother with these fantastic locations if you do not USE them!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
Hades is creepy, not romantic. 

To be fair, all he did/said here WOULD have been romantic for Zelena had she not been developing a conscience.  

Since she is, it's creepy now.

I wish they'd get this Underworld stuff done, because it's boring.

Will this finally pick up next week? I'm sick of the Underworld.
I'm definitely ready for this arc to quit it with the filler and go somewhere.

Fans before 5B: I'm sick of all the running around fighting villains and never having time to breathe! Let's have some conversations and character developments!

Fans now that 5B is allowing conversations and character development (several good cases of it happening in this episode): I'm sick of this, nothing's going anywhere, I want the characters to go back to Storybrooke!

Seriously, WHAT is the appeal of Storybrooke?  The Underworld is basically Storybrooke anyway, why are y'all so desperate for the cast to leave it?  And why do you think things would be any LESS boring in Storybrooke?

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 1

Maybe Disney didn't want any of their princesses to be LGBT? That would explain why its Red Riding Hood and Dorothy. Maybe they stepped in after 5x09?

But isn't Mulan already established as LGBT because she acknowledged feelings for Aurora?  She even mentioned how she waited too long to say anything in this episode.

I knew what was coming, but I was sort of hoping Toto would give Dorothy the TLK. Hey, a grumpy girl's best friend is her little dog! In the end, I didn't mind the idea of Red and Dorothy and I liked their kiss afterwards.I wasn't really invested in MulanRouge, and Mulan will be okay. She find her own warrior.

I was hoping Toto would give her TLK too.

• Love 1