Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Roles

• Start Topic

I watch a lot of 1990s sitcoms (among almost all other TV) so I've seen the boys in some other smaller roles!  

Will & Grace  

(Quoting myself from the Lorelai and Christopher episode thread.)  There is a great episode of Will and Grace, Season 1, Episode 17, "Secrets and Lays" where David Sutcliffe appears as a high-school love of Grace's that she randomly runs into at a Vermont cabin (so romantic!).  I really recommend it.  Debra Messing and David are quite adorable together.  (I found the full episode on Youtube but it's NBC copyright material so the voices have been slowed way down).

Funnily enough, I only recently remembered that Scott Patterson ALSO plays a love interest of Grace's!  Season 2, Episode 3: "Das Boob".  Lucky Debra Messing, she had some GREAT interests on the show -- Woody Harrelson, Matt Damon, Gregory Hines, etc.!  Unfortunately, I think it's a really stupid episode and if you only see this one, please don't let it colour your perception of the series at large!  Scott plays the hottest guy that went to Grace's high school, that suddenly shows up in Manhattan after Grace is featured as a hot designer in a newspaper article.  They meet up, and things do not go as well as they did for David Sutcliffe and Grace!  He also really doesn't appear in it much.  David was much more charming in his appearance.

Seinfeld

Of course, Scott Patterson was also in a very, very famous Seinfeld episode (though of course, so many of them are) as Elaine's love interest when Elaine realizes that stores are discontinuing her favourite method of birth control and has to decide whether the guy she's currently seeing is worthy of using her birth control on, or "Sponge-worthy".  Now, HERE, Scott is very sexy, funny, and charming.  He's so great in this part, and good for him!  It's an iconic episode for sure.

A great article by Mark Harris, about Hollywood disrepecting Melissa McCarthy when they shouldn't be:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/time-to-start-appreciating-melissa-mccarthy.html?mid=twitter-share-vulture

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I watch a lot of 1990s sitcoms (among almost all other TV) so I've seen the boys in some other smaller roles!  

Will & Grace  

(Quoting myself from the Lorelai and Christopher episode thread.)  There is a great episode of Will and Grace, Season 1, Episode 17, "Secrets and Lays" where David Sutcliffe appears as a high-school love of Grace's that she randomly runs into at a Vermont cabin (so romantic!).  I really recommend it.  Debra Messing and David are quite adorable together.  (I found the full episode on Youtube but it's NBC copyright material so the voices have been slowed way down).

Funnily enough, I only recently remembered that Scott Patterson ALSO plays a love interest of Grace's!  Season 2, Episode 3: "Das Boob".  Lucky Debra Messing, she had some GREAT interests on the show -- Woody Harrelson, Matt Damon, Gregory Hines, etc.!  Unfortunately, I think it's a really stupid episode and if you only see this one, please don't let it colour your perception of the series at large!  Scott plays the hottest guy that went to Grace's high school, that suddenly shows up in Manhattan after Grace is featured as a hot designer in a newspaper article.  They meet up, and things do not go as well as they did for David Sutcliffe and Grace!  He also really doesn't appear in it much.  David was much more charming in his appearance.

Seinfeld

Of course, Scott Patterson was also in a very, very famous Seinfeld episode (though of course, so many of them are) as Elaine's love interest when Elaine realizes that stores are discontinuing her favourite method of birth control and has to decide whether the guy she's currently seeing is worthy of using her birth control on, or "Sponge-worthy".  Now, HERE, Scott is very sexy, funny, and charming.  He's so great in this part, and good for him!  It's an iconic episode for sure.

A great article by Mark Harris, about Hollywood disrepecting Melissa McCarthy when they shouldn't be:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/04/time-to-start-appreciating-melissa-mccarthy.html?mid=twitter-share-vulture

Lauren Graham was also on Seinfeld as his love interest and was competing with Lauren's mom to be #1 on her phone's speed dial.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, good point.  It seems like all good-looking brunette actresses that were around during the 1990s were on that show (Debra Messing was one of them, too!).  In my opinion, Lauren was very cute and funny in that role too.  She plays the step-daughter of a Mrs. Robinson-type character that tries to seduce Jerry while Lauren is already dating him!

I also knew Lauren Graham from her small part in Third Rock from the Sun.

I know Alexis Bledel from the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants movies before I knew her from this GG.  I was so in awe of Alexis's beauty and charm.  I was like, who is this goddess?  But then in watching GG I found Rory just so damn annoying and I forgot all of that.  LOL.  Though she did age into a beautiful woman by the end of it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I caught it half away through, but I was very impressed by Alexis Bledel in Violet & Daisy, with Saoirse Ronan. It was definitely a departure from anything I'd seen her in before and boy it was kind of amazing. 

I'm also terribly fond of Tuck Everlasting. Must have rewatched it a dozen of times over the years.

I did not like Alexis's role in Mad Men. Nope.

I was a fan of Supernatural from 2005 to 2012, and I used the term fan here very losely given my abusive relationship with it, so these days I can barely look at Jared Padalecki and see Dean (although that was a process given both characters' tendency to whine and brood). So it will be interesting to see if he can tap into that character again.

Liza Weil hit jackpot with How to get away with murder. She plays a very complex character and nails it. She's another one I have a very hard time connecting to her GG character, these days.

I only caught few episodes of Good Wife here and there but I always enjoyed Cary Agos imensely and wished Matt Czuchry had a bigger role on the show.

Unfortunately, I had the opposite experience with Milo's character in Heroes, who didn't possess a tenth of Jess' charisma. Same goes for Lauren Graham's character in Parenthood.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought Alexis was pretty sexy on Mad Men!

I also know that Liza Weil was Amanda in Season 1 of Scandal.  Totally different character from Paris and Bonnie.  I really, really prefer Bonnie over Paris, but watching HTGAWM has given me a new appreciation for Paris, I guess.  I just don't get as much out of the character as others.  Liza has had some amazing scenes opposite Viola Davis.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

This is crew (ASP) instead of cast, but the Revival new website discussed ASP's new pilot for Amazon. (Don't go to the revival site if you're avoiding spoilers.)

The "dramedy is called The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, a 1950s period drama about a housewife who decides to be one of the first female standup comics."

Looks like ASP's been trolling IMDB for ideas, because it sounds straight out of "Goodnight, We Love You" a movie about Phyllis Diller starring Rosanne Barr.

Regardless, I've got my fingers crossed that it will be interesting, because I like period shows/movies and nontraditional female lead roles.

• Love 2

Was just in NYC and saw the most wonderful play/musical "Waitress" -- truly everyone should see it.  Anyway, a huge thrill was Dakin Matthews on stage in a key role!  I wanted to yell out "Headmaster Charleston" and run up and give him a hug and ask him all about the Netflix revival but thought that would be a problem with the theater staff and me.

He was so great in the role and I was thrilled to be THATCLOSE to a Gilmore Girls cast member.  

(edited)

Shameless also had Gypsy as a judge and Francie has a large part starting around season 3, it took me 4 episodes to figure out it was her!

also Drella has a recurring role in it!

Edited by CheeseBurgh

Just saw Vanessa Marano on Cupcake Wars.  I absolutely couldn't believe my eyes and ears.  Not only is she stunning...her voice is not nearly as annoying as it was on GG.  Have avoided her "Separated at Birth" show because I couldn't stand April so this sighting was a shock to me!  Wow, she's grown up well.

• Love 1

She is pretty fantastic in Switched at Birth- check out the first few seasons if you have a chance. Her character is much better than April.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

On Grey's Anatomy last night, I saw both George Bell (Rory's professor, as well as the dialog coach for the show), and the doula, Bruce.

8 hours ago, FictionLover said:

Never a Jess fan but "This is Us"  on NBC Tuesday night is amazing! My daughter and we're hooked right away.

Loving the show as well.

• Love 2

Grey's Anatomy continues on the Gilmore Girls train. Last night "Pennilynn Lott" was on as a women whose family was involved in a car accident on the way to a funeral. 

Edited by lulu1960
5 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

Grey's Anatomy continues on the Gilmore Girl train. Last night "Pennilynn Lott" was on as a women whose family was involved in a car accident on the way to a funeral. 

I missed that! Was she the lady that came back to life?

On October 7, 2016 at 8:07 AM, FictionLover said:

I missed that! Was she the lady that came back to life?

Thank you! I knew she looked/sounded familiar, but didn't place her!

Alexis Bledel has been cast as Ofglen in Hulu's adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale. The article has a picture of her in character. I love the novel, so the picture is sending chills down my spine. I don't know how big Ofglen's role is going to be in the mini-series; in the novel she was a minor but pivotal character. Since Elizabeth Moss plays the lead role, I wonder if Alexis got the role due to the Kartheiser/Mad Men connection.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5

I was watching old episodes of Third Rock from the Sun on Netflix and saw Lauren Graham in a small role as a flirtatious, breathy-voiced, professor-attracting young college student with a penchant for motorcycle-riding bad boys. I kept thinking that this was Lorelai if she had got to Harvard! 

When they were showing Christmas movies in December I saw one called Love at the Christmas Table with Scott Patterson as the crusty old widowed father - it was basically just a toned down performance of Luke. The thing I most noticed is that at one point the young male love interest says scornfully that the heroine is "living in a snow globe town"; as this was just after the Netflix revival of GG it was very striking. Did ASP watch this movie while writing "Winter"? 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

That was filmed in 2012.  

Yes - sorry I meant that it was shown on TV here just after the revival (as part of the Christmas programming), not that it was first released after the revival. It's a Lifetime tele-movie, of the sort that Lorelai and therefore ASP might watch. Which again piqued my interest.

On 7/23/2016 at 3:55 AM, CheeseBurgh said:

I just saw the actress that plays Lane as a social worker on the show Shameless. She is only in 2 episodes so far.

She needs to be in more then, would a be a waste otherwise!

On 8/7/2016 at 4:26 AM, CJRocks said:

Both Paris and the Chilton headmaster were in the same episode of West Wing, "Take Out the Trash Day".

Yeah Weil played the young staff member who blows the whistle on Leo's drinking habit who Leo gives a second chance after meeting her.  Its a very touching scene well played by both. 

The guy playing the Chilton headmaster has been in lots of things.  The other day I saw him in Parks and Recreation episode.  Great character actor.

On 1/5/2017 at 10:06 PM, chocolatine said:

Alexis Bledel has been cast as Ofglen in Hulu's adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale. The article has a picture of her in character. I love the novel, so the picture is sending chills down my spine. I don't know how big Ofglen's role is going to be in the mini-series; in the novel she was a minor but pivotal character. Since Elizabeth Moss plays the lead role, I wonder if Alexis got the role due to the Kartheiser/Mad Men connection.

I just saw the trailer! Interesting that she would play OfGlen. The story is even more relevant now than in the 80's when it was written. 

• Love 2
On June 8, 2016 at 4:37 AM, junienmomo said:

This is crew (ASP) instead of cast, but the Revival new website discussed ASP's new pilot for Amazon. (Don't go to the revival site if you're avoiding spoilers.)

The "dramedy is called The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, a 1950s period drama about a housewife who decides to be one of the first female standup comics."

Looks like ASP's been trolling IMDB for ideas, because it sounds straight out of "Goodnight, We Love You" a movie about Phyllis Diller starring Rosanne Barr.

Regardless, I've got my fingers crossed that it will be interesting, because I like period shows/movies and nontraditional female lead roles.

I've just watched this, and came here to mention it. Rachel Brosnahan is adorable in it. 

• Love 2

Nothing earth-shattering here but I thought Lauren fans might like it. There's a Lean Cuisine ad that's been up for a while.

It turns out she made another version too, just for the time after New Year's (1996). I found it in a clipset of old ads and since I couldn't find it on Youtube, I put it up on its own.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2017 at 3:21 PM, Anela said:

I've just watched this, and came here to mention it. Rachel Brosnahan is adorable in it. 

I finally watched this. I almost didn't recognize her as she is so different from her House of Cards character. This sorta relates to GG, as my favourite character was the bartender played by Alex Borstein. I hope her character is expanded as the series continues. 

• Love 1

I don't know if this has been said already, but one thing I am really looking forward to is The Handmaid's Tale with Alexis Bledel as Ofglen. I will certainly be tuning in on USA Channel next week on April 26.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree. She seems much better in AHT.  Her natural, more deeply pitched voice is much more palatable and I don't normally comment on looks, but god, is she beautiful to look at.

Edited by Hasseltine
  • Love 3

Just watched Melissa McCarthy in Susan Cooper. I was blown away by her performance and the story. The part I appreciated most was the fact that she as an FBI agent fought against female villains, and they were all well-formed characters with their own goals and complexities. 

• Love 3

Keiko Agena is playing a high school communications teacher in Netflix's "13 Reasons Why." I've never seen her in anything other than GG so it took me a minute. It was one of those "that actress looks familiar. . . who is she? Oh yeah!"