Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Episode 3

• Start Topic

Thanks to Black Knight for pointing out that Patsy may be setting up a pattern of visiting others' rooms at night so as not to raise eyebrows when she visits Delia.

I remember reading that a lot of younger people today don't understand the significance of the coat hanger image. I think it's important to remember.

Sister Winifred made me cry, which is nice because I feel like I hardly know her.

This page has detailed information about the cut scenes and plans to do it for all episodes.

On 4/19/2016 at 3:43 PM, marceline said:

My friends and I call it "Besties before Testes."

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

The teacher's story was quite sad. Terrible how the landlady could go through her stuff and evict her at a moment's notice like that, without even giving her a few days to find somewhere else, and how she could get fired even though there were only a few weeks left and she wasn't showing yet... Everything together made her desperate in a way people don't seem to remember now. 

I don't quite understand how typhoid works - why can't they just give antibiotics to the carrier, once they've identified her, so she isn't a carrier anymore? Does the young mother now become a carrier? I don't see how antibiotics doesn't solve this problem once they've identified who has it. Wasn't Typhoid Mary before antibiotics?

I know this is the wrong episode, but since lots of people are bringing up the elderly incest couple from the earlier season: I never understood why they didn't just pretend to be a married couple. They apparently found each other after a long time separated, in the era of workhouses, with no family or social network who would know who they were - why not just tell people they were married and not mention they were siblings? (Like in the book Middlesex.)

Similarly, why don't Patsy and Delia just tell everyone they are best friends and want to share a room? I believe very close platonic friendships between women were, and are, pretty common and accepted. (In fact, that happened in my dorm in college fairly recently - a couple of female best friends who were always in each other's rooms eventually turned out to be a romantic couple, and it took everyone several months to notice even though it was in an era with gay marriage being voted on, etc.)

2 hours ago, LeGrandElephant said:

I don't quite understand how typhoid works - why can't they just give antibiotics to the carrier, once they've identified her, so she isn't a carrier anymore? Does the young mother now become a carrier? I don't see how antibiotics doesn't solve this problem once they've identified who has it. Wasn't Typhoid Mary before antibiotics?

It seems that treatment of chronic, asymptomatic carriers isn't always effective (PDF). As I recall the episode, Dr. Turner and Nurse Mount basically said, "Now you know you have this, be careful with sanitation and food prep, and everything should be fine," so I guess they weren't advocating trying any treatments (because they just plain didn't think it was necessary or because of cost? side effects? who knows).

• Love 1

I echo those who have grown to love Nurse Crane. Never disliked her really but I kind of expected they would have her come along, stir things up and be sent packing with everyone being "yea, she's gone!" Instead, she has stayed, made an impact on everyone while becoming a deeper character. I like how she kept her personality--and still bumps up against what others prefer--while becoming integrated and a real part of the crew.

This show definitely made me appreciate living in the modern world with less judgment on pregnancies. I take things for granted--had 2 children while working and of course had no worries about getting fired, etc. But it really was not that long ago the opposite was true.

• Love 3