Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual EE British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Its kind of outrageous that Skys Premier League coverage doesn't get nominated for Sport and Live Event. There is nothing the BBC does with Sport that is close to that level, certainly not their Wimbledon coverage. And their Glastonbury coverage is getting less interesting too, true they show more live performances but I want more features that show the Glasto experience like they used to have and more sessions on set, etc.

The random pop music used for the intros/outros at the BAFTAs is always so jarring. 

Enjoyed Frye's monologue, great speech from Ellar Coltrane, and Patricia Arquette left her piece of paper at home! On one hand, all of the stars not being willing/able to show up makes it seem a bit second-rate, but thankfully BAFTA allows others to accept and give speeches on behalf of the winners (which only seems to happen at the Oscars/Globes these days with posthumous winners). You get more unexpected and varied speeches that way.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

I was disappointed to see that Jessie Buckley didn't win Rising Star. I've watched her in two things recently, Beast and The Woman in White, and she seems endlessly talented, like she's acting at a higher level than the people around her.

I know the BAFTAs often don't line up with the Oscars, but I was surprised at Austin Butler winning.  I'm still rooting for Colin Farrell, Michelle Yeoh, Angela Bassett, and Ke Huy Quan for the Oscars.

But forget about the awards.  I can't stop cringeing in second hand embarrassment from "ANNJUHLUH BASS-it did the thing".  There is a video clip in this article:

https://ew.com/awards/ariana-debose-bafta-rap-producer-defends/

Here's an utterly hilarious take on Ariana DeBose's "performance":

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/feb/20/angela-bassett-did-the-thing-deconstructing-ariana-debose-bafta-performance

18 hours ago, blackwing said:

But forget about the awards.  I can't stop cringeing in second hand embarrassment from "ANNJUHLUH BASS-it did the thing".  There is a video clip in this article:

I just saw that clip a few minutes ago and almost crawled under my kitchen table to hide; I was so embarrassed for her.  😬

Edited by Cementhead

Wait, that performance was only 45 seconds??? Why did it feel like 10 minutes? Don't answer that - I know why. 

This whole ceremony gave me whiplash. I thought Banshees was sweeping every award in sight and then that weird interlude of "tech" presentations seemed to derail it. Speaking of which, I found that whole presentation to be very rushed and annoying. As was the reluctance of many presenters to actually announce the category they were presenting. 

The fact that Elvis came away with 4 awards was just 🤮. I know BAFTA has a ton of overlap with Academy members but I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come. 

On 2/21/2023 at 2:43 PM, MicheleinPhilly said:

The fact that Elvis came away with 4 awards was just 🤮. I know BAFTA has a ton of overlap with Academy members but I hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come.

Elvis won Casting, Hair & Makeup, Costume and Lead Actor. Casting is irrelevant as that category does not exist at the Oscars though many have been saying for years that it should. Elvis has solidly been a favorite for Hair & Makeup and Costume, so those wins weren't shocking. Of course Wakanda Forever was not nominated for Costume at BAFTA, so I'd say it's more likely that wins the Oscar. But again, Elvis is and has been, fairly in my opinion, a heavy favorite in those two categories. 

Now Lead Actor - unlike others in this post, I was not surprised by Austin's win. People have been saying for weeks that this is a 3-way race. However, I think if some were really paying attention to all the chatter regarding the sentiment amongst the various guilds, it would have been clear that this is really a two-way race between Butler and Brendan Fraser. 

Now listen, I'm not a psychic, so anything is possible. However, I cannot see Colin Farrell still pulling this off when he lost at BAFTA. Not only did he not win, the fact that Banshees won so many, including sweeping the Supporting categories was clear indication that the British Film Academy voters loved the film. And yet when given the chance to reward Colin, they went with Austin. That BAFTA win is MASSIVE in terms of Austin Butler's momentum. 

SAG will be interesting. If Brendan Fraser wins, which I can see happening because SAG especially loves their narratives and rewarding comeback stories, then it's a tight race between him and Butler heading into Oscar night. If Austin wins, it's over, no matter how much that may infuriate some. No actor has won Globe, SAG and BAFTA and lost the Oscar, EXCEPT for Russell Crowe. And I will always maintain, no shade to Denzel, but that's because Russell was seemingly on a campaign that year to NOT win by acting like the biggest asshole in the world. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

BAFTA Awards: ‘Barbie,’ ‘Oppenheimer’ and ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ Lead Longlists
BY GEORG SZALAI     JANUARY 5, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/bafta-awards-longlists-2024-barbie-oppenheimer-1235777535/

The longlists are the result of the first round of voting across all categories. Round 2 of voting kicks off on Friday. The final nominations will be revealed on Thursday, Jan. 18 via a livestream hosted by actors Naomi Ackie and Kingsley Ben-Adir, with the awards ceremony set to take place on Sunday, Feb. 18 in London.

Edited by tv echo
  • Thanks 1

Here are the 2024 BAFTA nominations:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68016520

Notably, Lily Gladstone did not get a nomination.  She was on the longlist of 10 names, but didn't make the cut for the final 6.  Wondering if this is a signal regarding her Oscar chances.

The critique regarding her is that she kind of disappears midway through the film.  Also, I thought she was serviceable but not amazing.  I'm not a particularly big Emma Stone fan, but Emma truly inhabits her character and really dominates her movie.  I think Emma deserves Best Actress at the Oscars over Lily Gladstone.  If Lily Gladstone had been nominated in Supporting, she would be more of a lock there.