Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

ApathyMonger

The Annual EE British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA) Topic

Here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/baftas/10749101/Bafta-TV-Awards-2014-the-nominations.html

Some odd choices in there. Four nominees for "Male Performance In A Comedy Programme" going to two shows, one of which only aired one episode. Glad to see My Mad Fat Diary get some notice, even if Sharon Rooney missed out.

Weird how BAFTA doesn't give directing awards for television though.

I'm surprised Gillian Anderson wasn't nominated for The Fall, especially since Jamie Dornan and the show itself were nominated.

Its kind of outrageous that Skys Premier League coverage doesn't get nominated for Sport and Live Event. There is nothing the BBC does with Sport that is close to that level, certainly not their Wimbledon coverage. And their Glastonbury coverage is getting less interesting too, true they show more live performances but I want more features that show the Glasto experience like they used to have and more sessions on set, etc.

I try to watch this show every year. It's a nice prelude / contrast to the Academy Awards. Anyone else?

Stephen Fry will be hosting.  (Yay!)

The random pop music used for the intros/outros at the BAFTAs is always so jarring. 

Enjoyed Frye's monologue, great speech from Ellar Coltrane, and Patricia Arquette left her piece of paper at home! On one hand, all of the stars not being willing/able to show up makes it seem a bit second-rate, but thankfully BAFTA allows others to accept and give speeches on behalf of the winners (which only seems to happen at the Oscars/Globes these days with posthumous winners). You get more unexpected and varied speeches that way.

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 1

I agree about the red carpet! Not one single "who are you wearing."  Actual conversations between people who seemed to know each other.

• Like 1

I was disappointed to see that Jessie Buckley didn't win Rising Star. I've watched her in two things recently, Beast and The Woman in White, and she seems endlessly talented, like she's acting at a higher level than the people around her.

I didn't realize we had a dedicated BAFTA topic here!  Wish I had known on Sunday when I was watching the BAFTA red carpet. I'm bookmarking this one for next year. 🙂