Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I gave Emily credit for compartmentalization.  At the end of Wedding Bell Blues, she frowned heavily when Lorelai told her they were done, so I would think that might clue her in that something was wrong and she might follow up, even if she's in Europe.  However, it appears she didn't, because its a few episodes later and she doesn't seem to understand why Rory's reacting so badly to her.   

I honestly wanted to slap the entire town for the pink and blue ribbon thing.  It's like they treated the whole break up as a giant game meant for their entertainment.

Same! I cheered when Rory snatched the ribbons off Taylor as well! :D

• Love 3
On 8/13/2016 at 8:25 PM, elang4 said:

I actually cheered for Rory when she stood up to Emily in that Friday Night Dinner. Emily obviously thought everything would be fine with Rory so I kind of liked when she was shocked by her behaviour, especially when she saw Rory being so nice to Richard. :) 

I loved that too. Emily is so used to Rory being sweet and proper that she didn't expect the attitude. She's used to Lorelai talking back but not perfect angel Rory. 

23 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

I agree the writers were contrasting Rory's choice to embrace the Gilmore world vs. Lorelai rejecting it all. But Logan was a factor in Rory exploring that lifestyle and was there to persuade/introduce her to it all: She was drawn in by both him and her grandparents and he clearly played a role. (Introducing her to LDB, using his connections/influence in journalism, even her enjoying the luxuries of his apartment or vineyard house etc.) But the problem was - as mentioned before - the wealthy world was connected to her downward spiral so it never felt like the show wanted to immerse her completely in the Gilmore world and be the total opposite of Lorelai. It was more heading towards Rory finding a balance, which made Logan tricky because he epitomized the wealthy side of things.

With Mr Darcy = Logan, I thought @clack wasn't referring to an exact personality match because yeah Darcy is introverted/brooding whereas Logan is extroverted/charismatic but more to the relationship dynamic and traditional trope of Spirited-Young-Lady Tames Snobbish-Rich-Jerk-With-A-Heart-Of-Gold. I.e. Darcy/Logan being a snob and looking down on people, until an intelligent, down-to-earth Elizabeth/Rory call them out on it and the guy reforms himself and wins her. (That was my take on it, correct me if I'm wrong Clack). Logan was entitled and snobbish to start off with, while Rory was the "grounded", bookish girl who moved in his circles but had a more modest background and was unimpressed with him. But it fell apart because Rory didn't really call him out on much and let the rich world influence her rather than vice versa.

All very true. 

Logan is a factor but he's secondary like all the men on this show. The family relationships between all three Gilmore girls are the focus. The plot of this season as I see it is Rory exploring a world and lifestyle that her mother whom she respects so much had cast off. And the family conflict that arises from it. I do think that was intended all along from the writers. Rory is the bridge between Lorelai and Emily, she needs to experience both their worlds to grow. 

I don't see Logan looking down on people or being a snob. His friends, particularly Colin act superior but I never got that from Logan. He enjoys his privilege and knows how to have fun. 

Pulp Friction

Lauren/Lorelai sounds like she has a cold in the shopping scene. I don't agree with the show's judgement of casual relationships. Obviously, it's not a good fit for Rory but it feels like a comment on casual sex in general. I did like Lorelai admitting that her Mom Card was getting flimsy. 

Diorama

It's a little odd that Lorelai speaks so freely with a journalist considering her daughter's ambition is to be a reporter. She acts like she doesn't know what off-the-record means. 

Dean is back with a disastrous hairstyle. This is what happens when he has no Gilmore girls in his life. I wish his final appearance could have given some closure on his character instead they made it about Luke. Dean deserved more. 

Funny scene at the breakfast table at Lorelai's. Little boy acting Kirk had me laughing. I was also amused at the drunk antics. 

Interesting that Lorelai refused Luke's help when dealing with drunk Rory. Especially since a few episodes ago he was giving his unsolicited opinion on Rory's love life. It was sad to see Rory so upset over Logan. She's used to being the girl everyone likes and his sort of rejection hits her hard. 

• Love 3

It's a little odd that Lorelai speaks so freely with a journalist considering her daughter's ambition is to be a reporter. She acts like she doesn't know what off-the-record means. 

I kept trying to imagine the ultimate article, since I think it was nominally supposed to be about the Dragonfly.  I don't know how a travel magazine would operate, but Lorelai's comments about Emily seemed pretty inflammatory, and, even potentially libelous.  It seemed strange that they would have gone ahead and published it all without ever getting a comment from Emily.   

• Love 1

So I just had to hide 15 posts that had great material them because they were related to Season 6 and Season 7. This would be a great discussion for the Rory/Logan thread or the All-Episode thread. 

We have new viewers especially with all the hype around the Netflix revival. They deserve the opportunity to read a thread that says it is for Season X only without having the last episode of Season Z spoiled. 

Thanks!

While Emily's reaction to Luke and Lorelai was over-the-top in season five, it was still consistent with her hubris.  It's visible in her behavior to her daughter as well as her treatment of maids.  She insults Lorelai or fires so many maids that she must have a reputation in the industry, yet a split second later she behaves as if she were the wronged party. 

I suspect it bothers Emily more when Rory is upset because throughout those Friday night dinners she has often been passive and allowed her grandmother to insult her mother. This time Rory won't accept it and fights back. For someone who thought her granddaughter was perfect and had integrated into high society, Emily must be very disappointed in Rory.

• Love 2

Just had a laugh over a cute line in Pippi Virgin.

After Jackson removes his stained shirt and refuses to sign Lorelai's parking spaces, Sookie jumps back in and says, "I'll forge that for you."

So easy to forget in the later drama, but very funny nonetheless.

• Love 6

But I'm a Gilmore 

It's sad that Lorelai is trying to communicate with Rory and getting shut down. I get Rory's pov though, when you know someone doesn't support a choice you are weary of discussing it with them. 

I think it was unfair of Rory to drop the I'm a relationship kind of girl talk on Logan. That's the reason he wouldn't date her in the first place. He's been straight forward with her while she has pretended to be something she's not, just to be with him.  

Sookie and Jackson are so over the top, I actually sympathized with Luke. Lorelai is the most understanding business partner ever.   

How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod 

Emily is in rare form, purposely messing up Lorelai's drink and guiding the conversation to things Lorelai has little interest in. I get why she's mad though. Sweet that Richard told Lorelai he was proud of her. Boy, Logan is not off to a good start in impressing his girlfriend's mom.

• Love 1

I hate Kropogs with  a burning passion. Emily is downright mean to Lorelai. Purposely making her look bad and talking down to her. Logan was awful with the stealing of the sewing kit but the fact that Rory went along with it was just as bad. And I agree with whoever said that Logan wouldn't have fess up. It was Lorelai that pushed the situation.

• Love 11

I hate Kropogs with  a burning passion. 

Ditto.  Absolutely one of my least favorite episodes. I can't even watch it.  And it pushes my Logan hate quotient up a thousand notches.

• Love 5
On 8/19/2016 at 8:27 AM, Kohola3 said:

Ditto.  Absolutely one of my least favorite episodes. I can't even watch it.  And it pushes my Logan hate quotient up a thousand notches.

Rewatching it made me remember why I hated Logan back when this first aired. 

Blame Booze and Melville

Emily is back to being nicer. After the last episode, it's good to see her make an effort in her relationship with Lorelai.

Mitchum is blunt but I don't think he is wrong. There are other avenues of writing that Rory could pursue, research (which she seems to enjoy) would be a better fit for her.

A House is Not a Home

Oh, man. This is a hard episode to rewatch, I always feel so bad for Lorelai. The bombshell from Rory and then her parents going back on their word to back her up. :( I wish Lorelai could have stepped back after the argument with Rory and talked calmly about it. They have the whole summer to work on a compromise but that doesn't move the plot where the writers want it to go.

Interesting parallel that this season started with the girls in a fight and ends with them completely separated. Also, that the Kim's relationship is in a good place while things are falling apart for Lorelai and Rory. I laughed at Kirk in the towtruck scene but mostly this episode depresses me. The urge to rewatch season 1 is very strong.

• Love 2

It's sad that Lorelai is trying to communicate with Rory and getting shut down. I get Rory's pov though, when you know someone doesn't support a choice you are weary of discussing it with them. 

I've always had very little simpathy for Lorelai in that scene or any other scene she feels getting shut down when it comes to Rory's relationships. To be quite frank, I love Lorelai to death, but this is the woman who pushed for Rory to feel flattered by Dean's clingy, suffocating and often stalkerish behavior, over and over and over again, even when Rory was rightfully annoyed by it and Lolelai herself would NEVER have put up with it from a suitor, just because he wouldn't try to get into her daughter's pants (or so she thought). Which, in turn, was a huge influence on why Rory stayed in that relationship way longer than she should have.

Not couting the affair storyline, I always thought Rory made way smarter choices when it came to her romantic life after she got out of Lorelai's thumb. And even when the choices weren't smart, at least they were small mistakes she had every right to make herself. Again, not couting the affair storyline.

• Love 3

I hate Come Home. I like the Lane plot line with Mrs. Kim and Zach and the Korean party. But I hate Lorelai's fake sexual harassment training, Sookie messing up clean rooms and lying about it, Richard causing a car accident, and the Rory plot is boring!

Will I ever understand the pink sequined jacket Lorelai wears over her blue dress in Wedding Bell Blues? 

No, I don't think I will.

Pulp Friction is a great L&L episode. From his sweet smile at her as she teases him about the reggae cd, his quiet hand on her arm as she deals with the Emily confrontation aftermath, and the conversation that pretty much foreshadows the end of the season.

However, I don't like how Lorelai treats Michel and Rory's plot is dumb. 

7 hours ago, deaja said:

Pulp Friction is a great L&L episode. From his sweet smile at her as she teases him about the reggae cd, his quiet hand on her arm as she deals with the Emily confrontation aftermath, and the conversation that pretty much foreshadows the end of the season.

However, I don't like how Lorelai treats Michel and Rory's plot is dumb. 

I watched Pulp Friction yesterday. Twice. I fell in love with the Lorelai in this episode. She reached a pinnacle of success in her work, her love life, her family life and she was friggin' awesomely assertive. I'd been yelling at the TV for years for her to do exactly this stuff, especially to Emily, so they could break through the wall and finally build a decent relationship. I couldn't get over how horribly insulting Emily was to Luke's face.

The part with Michel works for me because I saw how she reflected on her behavior, then went back and supported him. I used to be mad at him for the photo shoot, but then I noticed that they simply rescheduled, not cancelled.

Rory/Logan worked for me, them trying out the relationship option. She was a little goofy in the Huntzberger foyer, but that was all.

This was the best example I've seen of Lorelai's character growth, and I could have watched this Lorelai for many years.

• Love 4

So, I'm a little (ok, a lot) behind in the rewatch.  However, there is a bit of symmetry to Lorelai and Logan that struck me watching Wedding Bell Blues.  Emily comes over for an impromptu bachelorette party and Lorelai takes the opportunity to mess with the seating arrangements... leading to the wedding planner being fired.  Which to me, is just as spoiled a rich kid prank as Logan switching the trinkets.  Actually, I think Lorelei's actions are worse, because Lorelai knows exactly how uptight and hyper vigilant her mother is, whereas Logan assumes that Emily is like the other rich families that his buddies pull this stunt on, who "never notice".  

No, Logan didn't say anything to tell on himself, but neither did Lorelai and, in neither circumstance, did Rory.  Which - to me, YMMV - explains why Rory didn't speak up when Logan pulled his stunt - she watched her mother do something similar that led to someone losing a job and no one thought anything of it.  I am, admittedly, a Logan apologist, but in this instance, it's that Lorelai plays both sides of the fence that annoys me so much.

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

Emily comes over for an impromptu bachelorette party and Lorelai takes the opportunity to mess with the seating arrangements... leading to the wedding planner being fired.  Which to me, is just as spoiled a rich kid prank as Logan switching the trinkets.  Actually, I think Lorelei's actions are worse, because Lorelai knows exactly how uptight and hyper vigilant her mother is, whereas Logan assumes that Emily is like the other rich families that his buddies pull this stunt on, who "never notice".  

Great point.

• Love 3

A House is not a Home- one of my least favorite of the series, I think. I actually hate the last three episodes this season.

Lorelai's attitude about Rory's arrest is so inappropriate. She babies Rory, blames others for Rory's crime, and then makes joke after joke about it. Neither she or Rory seemed to ever think of the people she stole from. She raised a spoiled brat and then is shocked at the end of the episode when it bites her in the butt.

Lorelai's attitude about Rory's arrest is so inappropriate.

You are so right there. I think about what my mother would have done...I'd still be waiting in the cell because a) she'd never bail me out and b) I'd be afraid to go home because I'd be forced to apologize to the yacht owners, the cops, all of my friends and family, and on and on.  Not only would I do community service for the court, I'd have to do double for my parents.  

I'm of the generation that when we came home and said the nun smacked us with the ruler we got smacked again "for making Sister hit you".

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

You are so right there. I think about what my mother would have done...I'd still be waiting in the cell because a) she'd never bail me out and b) I'd be afraid to go home because I'd be forced to apologize to the yacht owners, the cops, all of my friends and family, and on and on.  Not only would I do community service for the court, I'd have to do double for my parents.  

I'm of the generation that when we came home and said the nun smacked us with the ruler we got smacked again "for making Sister hit you".

LOL! When I think back to my teen years, I remember what kept me on the "straight and narrow" was my fear of what my parents would do to me if I ever strayed from the "good, law-abiding citizen" path. I don't recall ever worrying about law enforcement - it was always my parents!

• Love 7

Lorelai gives up a lot of relative power in her relationship with Rory this season: anytime she tries to act like a mom, Rory pouts or ignores her, like when she takes Logan's call in the beginning of A House is Not a Home, or the whole of Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller. Lorelai openly frets about losing her mom card this season, but it's not clear to me if she realizes it's one of the drawbacks of the best friend dynamic she's been bragging about all these years.  The scenes with Lorelai joking about Rory's arrest reminds me a little bit of Rory and Lane after Rory loses her virginity - the whole almost congratulatory vibe of it.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Yep. I got arrested once and never called my father because I knew he would be so disappointed in me. I think we saw a little of that when Lorelai picked Rory up but it was jokes by the next day. 

• Love 1

LOL! When I think back to my teen years, I remember what kept me on the "straight and narrow" was my fear of what my parents would do to me if I ever strayed from the "good, law-abiding citizen" path. I don't recall ever worrying about law enforcement - it was always my parents!

This so much, which brings me to: what was up with Rory's 'TUDE when she was released from jail? Something more along the lines of the freak out she had over missing Lorelai's gratuation would have been completely appropriate but nope. That always stood out to me.

I know there's a delayed freak out but that never quite worked for me.

• Love 2

Blame Booze and Melville is overall a miserable episode, especially character-wise for Lorelai. 

The baby storyline is not a shining moment for Sookie, with her unthinkable ultimatum that Jackson have a vasectomy, but Lorelai really takes the cake. And we can make another tick mark for a GG ultimatum that failed miserably.

Lorelai has so little respect for her partner that she refused to consider telling him about a potential pregnancy, not even after the fact. If I were depending on my partner to do her part in birth control, I'd want to know about a scare, and before she talks to other people about it. And this is from someone who supposedly loves her partner so much that she will spontaneously propose within about 24-48 hours. She bounces back and forth first claiming that it's too early in their relationship, but ultimately confessing that she wants to not be pregnant now and enjoy her freedom without kids, which is probably the truth, but stupid because she's been in that state ever since Rory went to college. This is a woman who is never going to grow up and is probably incapable of having an adult relationship.

This time around I'm more sympathetic to Rory's letdown; still not sympathetic to committing a felony. Mitchum did a great job within his personality, telling her his truth and more importantly telling her his gut isn't always right. Bledel plays her disappointment sensitively and it only goes south when she decides a felony is the right response and, like her mother, thinks it's OK to not tell her partner what's wrong. 

What was GREAT in this episode were the fondue scene and the magazine/ballerina scenes with Emily. Emily is human again, although she's her usual snobby self treating ballerinas like nail polish colors. But the interactions are very funny, and I loved watching them. The ballerina's reaction to Emily was funny, and the part where Lorelai locked herself in Richard's office was hilarious, and the "insufferable Rosalynn" comment cracks me up every time.

Nitpicks: 

• Can't quite figure out why hungover Lorelai picks up her dress, then goes out the door of Luke's apartment. She was still wrapped in a sheet.
  • Rory didn't know party stores exist when she's in with the LDB and has worked in an office where small celebrations would be likely. Maybe I should rethink my opinion of Mitchum's opinion if a person who has worked as a gopher for an office has no idea where to source party decorations.
  • The town elders business is illegal. We've never heard a word about them in Taylorville, but suddenly these four guys can nix anything? I did love W. Morgan Sheppard's performance as the town elder. 
  • Why is there a leather sofa in the dining hall?
  • Why does a multi-billionaire family like the Huntzberbergers have a cheap Ikea lamp at the entrance to the yacht?
Edited by junienmomo
Added W. Morgan Sheppard comment and got the correct episode title of Blame Booze and Melville.
  • Love 1

Ah, season five. It definitely started going downhill for me this season. Seasons 1-4 were easier to get through. But I think my perpetual annoyance with Rory this season made it difficult for me to enjoy the season, and I loved Rory in the first four seasons. Also, Emily this season really, really annoyed me. Her selfishness rose in full form this season. 

I didn't like Dean/Rory at all. The points that Luke brought up in Pipi were all points I agreed with, even if he didn't really have a right to. As a nineteen year old, Dean may still be a young man, but a man nonetheless. Dean/Rory went through a lot and yes, I am on the side that Dean/Rory rushed into things and it was never going to work out. The relationship was too immature and based on old feelings, and the moment Rory found more of a niche in college was when I knew the relationship would hit its point. Plus, Lorelai dismissing all of Dean's issues with a "He's just a kid" excuse is disappointing. She's been so Team Dean that she couldn't stick with her guns about Rory being with a married man. She tried, but that led to Rory being cold with her for seven weeks. But I think there's a possibility that she didn't approve with the relationship, but left it in Rory's hands. I guess with how she was raised with Emily, she took the opposite approach to avoid losing her relationship with her daughter. 

I will say that Dean/Rory's breakup was very sudden. They really just used him for some infidelity storyline, started to pair him with Rory for the Stars Hollow nostalgia factor, and then dropped him as soon as Logan/Rory became a viable option for the show. They never truly bothered with him this season. They brought him on, invested in him and Rory, and then absolutely dropped him. He definitely deserved a better ending than what we got. 

I definitely don't mind Logan as a character; in fact, I actually think he is a good character and I enjoy his total charm and charisma throughout the series. But he wasn't the greatest influence on Rory, who was already floundering in her identity. She had already made bad choices with the Dean situation that I felt like Logan led her down a darker path instead of finding a way to pick herself back up to make better choices. He does kind of get her to take risks, while Dean keeps her in her comfort zone. Both of them seem like total opposites, so it's interesting to see Rory's relationships with each of them. I find it interesting that Rory had to chase Logan while she didn't have to chase Dean at all. It's probably why I prefer Rory's relationship with Jess, even if it was still quite toxic. Rory and Jess both did equal chasing with each other. Not only that, but Jess helped her take some risks while still staying in her comfort zone. There was more balance, even if the show did screw that up a couple of times. 

I do think that Rory was looking for something new in her life, something that she never got while in Stars Hollow or her first year of Yale. She just restarted a relationship with Dean, going back to her comfortable roots, so Logan coming along and introducing her to that club allowed Rory to try something different and be someone different. I can see that she got enamored with the lifestyle, because she never lived anything close to it before. She always lived safe and was the good girl. With Logan, she didn't have to be. I can see how that would excite her. 

But the thing Rory didn't realize was how unready for that she was, and how it didn't fit who she was as a person. She took on the traits of Logan and his friends, which meant that she turned into an asshole. She always had some of that in her; she's a Gilmore, after all. Logan (and his friends) just brought it out in her. It's not Logan's fault, because Rory made her own choices. It's just a shame because it made her very unlikable most of the time.  And then the end of the season happened. Lorelai/Rory's separation with her grandparents totally cool with it? We've seen what they do when Rory has run to them before, but it's harder this time. Lorelai finally tried to play the Mom card when Rory told her that she was dropping out of school and Rory's response was running off to her grandparents, without realizing how badly that would hurt her mother. 

I can see why Lorelai would blame Logan and his family, as Rory had never done anything like it before. Plus, Lorelai hearing about how much trouble Logan has gotten into by overhearing his friends talking in the police station? I can see why she puts the blame on anyone but Rory. It's also just typical of a Gilmore. She should have put blame on Rory, though. She should have sat her down and gave her lectures. She's at fault for what she did. She's an intelligent adult who knows the consequences to her actions. 

I'm not quite sure about how I feel about the Marty thing, but I think I feel sympathetic to both parties in some way. Rory could have come off a lot worse, as could Marty. But both handled the situations in their own way and I can see why they drifted apart. Rory was changing and had a different group of friends that Marty would never fit in with, let alone like. I think it was the combination of being rejected as a romantic interest combined with Rory's interest in Logan that got him seriously turned off.  

I totally get that the show wanted Rory to dip into the lifestyle of the rich, a side of the Gilmore family that she hadn't quite crossed into until this season. I didn't like some of Emily and Richard's tactics toward Rory and Lorelai this season. I know they've always been this way, but some of their choices didn't sit well for me. For example, finding a boyfriend for Rory after they found out that she was dating Dean. They always tried to push their lifestyle onto Rory in some capacity, but not in the way that they did for these last few seasons. And then Emily feeling like she knows best for Lorelai and going to Christopher once she realized that her and Luke were serious. Emily and Richard have both done some things that I don't agree with, but this season takes the cake. 

It's why I wanted Emily/Lorelai's fight to go on a lot longer. If anything, Lorelai deserved to not talk to her mother for the rest of the season. She really messed things up for her own selfish gain. She ruined her daughter's happiness and I would have liked to see it go on for a lot longer than it did. When she wanted to come to the FND that Logan was attending, at least she called. I think Emily was being very rude to her daughter. She didn't seem to want to get why Lorelai was pissed or why she wasn't just going to get over it. Emily had no grounds to act like a spoiled brat, she really didn't. Lorelai did the very adult thing in realizing that she needed to be at that dinner, and then asked. And she was fairly polite throughout that dinner. 

Also, hearing Lorelai actually snap at Christopher was satisfying. She doesn't do it nearly as often as she should. His role this season did not do him any favours. 

Luke/Lorelai's relationship was easily the best part of this season. They were just so happy and cute together, which I think was needed with all the heavier plots going on. Of course, until the Christopher disaster happened, but I found myself really rooting for them. Especially if that could mean that Luke's mean streak would end, because damn, he became unlikable in the episodes following the breakup. 

Ok, but the town's obsession with them definitely annoyed me. I usually love when the town joins together in a subplot, but not only does this split the town up into two sides, but it was also stupid as hell. If Rory had ended up punching Taylor in the nose, I bet that would have had everyone cheering, both viewers and the townsfolk. 

As rough as the Luke/Lorelai first breakup episode was, Say Something might be one of my favourite episodes this season. I got to be angry at the town and it might be one of the only times I enjoyed Rory using wealth for her and her mother. Sure, it was Logan's wealth, but I didn't hate her. Plus, Sookie and Michel had to step it up at the Inn for Lorelai. She's been the one running the place, so having her business partner and her manager taking more of the work so she could have a break was nice. I also didn't hate the Logan/Rory subplot. 

As for Rory's choice, it's not that I disagree with her taking some time off if she's confused. Some do need the time off and clearly Rory's doubting her choices now. I just think that this season was tough on her, but she changed her mind too quickly over one opinion so I'm on Lorelai's side on this. She was making a rash decision and they all needed to discuss this.

And finally, the Luke/Lorelai last scene with the proposal? It may be one of my favourite moments of the series, if only for Lorelai's adoring look as Luke is ranting which leads her to this decision. 

Now, I guess it's onto season six. Really, the only thing powering me through to season six is the return of Jess. I haven't watched seasons six and seven in a long time, but I do remember some of it. Plus, reading about the next two seasons to refresh my memory do not make me hopeful about powering through each season in two days, like I have been doing.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ah, season five. It definitely started going downhill for me this season. Seasons 1-4 were easier to get through. But I think my perpetual annoyance with Rory this season made it difficult for me to enjoy the season, and I loved Rory in the first four seasons. Also, Emily this season really, really annoyed me. Her selfishness rose in full form this season. 

I definitely don't mind Logan as a character; in fact, I actually think he is a good character and I enjoy his total charm and charisma throughout the series. But he wasn't the greatest influence on Rory, who was already floundering in her identity. She had already made bad choices with the Dean situation that I felt like Logan led her down a darker path instead of finding a way to pick herself back up to make better choices. He does kind of get her to take risks, while Dean keeps her in her comfort zone. Both of them seem like total opposites, so it's interesting to see Rory's relationships with each of them. I find it interesting that Rory had to chase Logan while she didn't have to chase Dean at all. It's probably why I prefer Rory's relationship with Jess, even if it was still quite toxic. Rory and Jess both did equal chasing with each other. Not only that, but Jess helped her take some risks while still staying in her comfort zone. There was more balance, even if the show did screw that up a couple of times. 

I do think that Rory was looking for something new in her life, something that she never got while in Stars Hollow or her first year of Yale. She just restarted a relationship with Dean, going back to her comfortable roots, so Logan coming along and introducing her to that club allowed Rory to try something different and be someone different. I can see that she got enamored with the lifestyle, because she never lived anything close to it before. She always lived safe and was the good girl. With Logan, she didn't have to be. I can see how that would excite her. 

But the thing Rory didn't realize was how unready for that she was, and how it didn't fit who she was as a person. She took on the traits of Logan and his friends, which meant that she turned into an asshole. She always had some of that in her; she's a Gilmore, after all. Logan (and his friends) just brought it out in her. It's not Logan's fault, because Rory made her own choices. It's just a shame because it made her very unlikable most of the time.  And then the end of the season happened. Lorelai/Rory's separation with her grandparents totally cool with it? We've seen what they do when Rory has run to them before, but it's harder this time. Lorelai finally tried to play the Mom card when Rory told her that she was dropping out of school and Rory's response was running off to her grandparents, without realizing how badly that would hurt her mother. 

I can see why Lorelai would blame Logan and his family, as Rory had never done anything like it before. Plus, Lorelai hearing about how much trouble Logan has gotten into by overhearing his friends talking in the police station? I can see why she puts the blame on anyone but Rory. It's also just typical of a Gilmore. She should have put blame on Rory, though. She should have sat her down and gave her lectures. She's at fault for what she did. She's an intelligent adult who knows the consequences to her actions. 

I totally get that the show wanted Rory to dip into the lifestyle of the rich, a side of the Gilmore family that she hadn't quite crossed into until this season. I didn't like some of Emily and Richard's tactics toward Rory and Lorelai this season. I know they've always been this way, but some of their choices didn't sit well for me. For example, finding a boyfriend for Rory after they found out that she was dating Dean. They always tried to push their lifestyle onto Rory in some capacity, but not in the way that they did for these last few seasons. And then Emily feeling like she knows best for Lorelai and going to Christopher once she realized that her and Luke were serious. Emily and Richard have both done some things that I don't agree with, but this season takes the cake. 

It's why I wanted Emily/Lorelai's fight to go on a lot longer. If anything, Lorelai deserved to not talk to her mother for the rest of the season. She really messed things up for her own selfish gain. She ruined her daughter's happiness and I would have liked to see it go on for a lot longer than it did. When she wanted to come to the FND that Logan was attending, at least she called. I think Emily was being very rude to her daughter. She didn't seem to want to get why Lorelai was pissed or why she wasn't just going to get over it. Emily had no grounds to act like a spoiled brat, she really didn't. Lorelai did the very adult thing in realizing that she needed to be at that dinner, and then asked. And she was fairly polite throughout that dinner. 

Also, hearing Lorelai actually snap at Christopher was satisfying. She doesn't do it nearly as often as she should. His role this season did not do him any favours. 

Luke/Lorelai's relationship was easily the best part of this season. They were just so happy and cute together, which I think was needed with all the heavier plots going on. Of course, until the Christopher disaster happened, but I found myself really rooting for them. Especially if that could mean that Luke's mean streak would end, because damn, he became unlikable in the episodes following the breakup. 

As for Rory's choice, it's not that I disagree with her taking some time off if she's confused. Some do need the time off and clearly Rory's doubting her choices now. I just think that this season was tough on her, but she changed her mind too quickly over one opinion so I'm on Lorelai's side on this. She was making a rash decision and they all needed to discuss this.

And finally, the Luke/Lorelai last scene with the proposal? It may be one of my favourite moments of the series, if only for Lorelai's adoring look as Luke is ranting which leads her to this decision. 

Now, I guess it's onto season six. Really, the only thing powering me through to season six is the return of Jess. I haven't watched seasons six and seven in a long time, but I do remember some of it. Plus, reading about the next two seasons to refresh my memory do not make me hopeful about powering through each season in two days, like I have been doing.

Yes to basically everything in your post. S5 is definitely where the show started to go downhill; doing my rewatch I remember almost every episode in Season 1-4, but the last few seasons there's stuff I've only watched once, mostly because of Rory.

I also appreciated Logan for most of the season; he brought a different dynamic and it was good to have a story with Rory exploring her grandparent's wealthy world. And absolutely agree that it was a natural development after her floundering in her first year at Yale, trying to return to her old self with Dean and failing. She was ready to try something new and Logan's world was very alluring. 

I liked that the Logan/Rory dynamic flipped things around from the past; rather than having guys fall at her feet, Rory had the crush first, pined and chased him. The reversal of how Logan was now the wealthy guy out of Rory's league, rather than her being the elite, private-school Gilmore hanging out with small-town guys was also interesting. It was new angle for Rory being the insecure, struggling one for once which was needed, because the show does go overboard with Rory perfectness and everyone putting her on a pedestal. I just watched But I'm a Gilmore with the Huntzberger's telling her she's not good enough for "a family likes theirs", and it's an interesting parallel to Richard and Emily's reaction to Dean and Jess not being good enough for "a girl like Rory". Rory was so confident that the Huntzberger's would love her because she was a Gilmore, had a debutante ball, went to Chilton and Yale etc. Despite her outward modesty she obviously absorbed a lot of the status and snobbery her grandparent's were selling over the years. It would have been nice if she reflected a little on how Dean and Jess must have felt being told they were inferior to her, or took a reality check about the kind of person she was turning into. Having the Gilmore's rejection of Luke in the same season as the Huntzberger's rejection of Rory definitely contrasts the different direction Lorelai and Rory are going: Lorelai is furious at her parents and can't stand the snobbery, while Rory is hurt and starts on "but my ancestors came over on the Mayflower!" and throws herself more into that world. 

My main issue with Logan started after he and Rory began dating. (I have to roll my eyes that of course Rory Gilmore is the only girl good enough to tame the great womanizer, did he meet no other girls at freaking Yale that were intelligent, attractive, funny and all-round accomplished enough to tie him down? Rory's impact on guys can get a bit Lana Lang-ish). Mainly though Rory is just Not A Good Person with Logan - not his fault, he wasn't a bad person, but she seems to be trying on a whole different personality, and becomes more spoiled, shallow and immature. It becomes a bigger issue in Season 6 but honestly it felt like Logan never knew the shy, bookish, I-do-homework-on-Friday-nights Rory, he just met sophisticated, social Rory. I also side-eye him for going along with her stealing a yacht: Yes it was her suggestion but any decent boyfriend would realize their girlfriend was upset and calmed her down, not encouraged her destructive behavior. Also, had Rory not been hanging out with LDB-the-rules-don't-apply-to-us friends all year, I'm sure stealing a yacht wouldn't even have occurred to her. (I agree that's one of the reasons I always circle back to Jess: He balanced between Dean who held Rory back, and Logan who pushed her to an extreme). 

Luke and Lorelai were adorable, I love their careful negotiation learning to be together like Lorelai realizing Luke goes to bed early, Luke putting a TV in their room. And Lorelai's proposal was perfect: It says so much that commitment-shy Lorelai who repeatedly refused Chris and broke her engagement with Max, actively proposed to Luke. And the fact she was prompted by Luke's love for Rory is hugely telling.

Yep, ughhh at how quickly Lorelai and Rory's forgave Emily and Chris. After both Rory and Lorelai yelling at Emily things just kind of went back to normal. And Rory went from telling her Dad to avoid having lunch with Lorelai to being ok that he actively tried to get rid of Luke. That should have been a huge conflict and betrayal, and the point of no return for Lorelai/Chris getting together. Instead it just...went away. I don't even remember Chris apologizing?  Was there an episode with him making it up to Lorelai that I missed?

With Rory dropping out of Yale, I get what they were trying to do but good lord did it need more build up. Show her struggling or failing all year, and then dropping out rather than basing her breakdown over one 3-minute conversation.

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

<snip>. 

Luke and Lorelai were adorable, I love their careful negotiation learning to be together like Lorelai realizing Luke goes to bed early, Luke putting a TV in their room. And Lorelai's proposal was perfect: It says so much that commitment-shy Lorelai who repeatedly refused Chris and broke her engagement with Max, actively proposed to Luke. And the fact she was prompted by Luke's love for Rory is hugely telling.

Yep, ughhh at how quickly Lorelai and Rory's forgave Emily and Chris. After both Rory and Lorelai yelling at Emily things just kind of went back to normal. And Rory went from telling her Dad to avoid having lunch with Lorelai to being ok that he actively tried to get rid of Luke. That should have been a huge conflict and betrayal, and the point of no return for Lorelai/Chris getting together. Instead it just...went away. I don't even remember Chris apologizing?  Was there an episode with him making it up to Lorelai that I missed?

With Rory dropping out of Yale, I get what they were trying to do but good lord did it need more build up. Show her struggling or failing all year, and then dropping out rather than basing her breakdown over one 3-minute conversation.

Lorelai had a couple of strong moments at the end of season 5, with the proposal and telling off Emily, but then flipped as you said. The she somehow lost her sense of self again, and a good deal of common sense, and her going to the meet Logan dinner where Emily was more cruel than ever was awful.

She also put Luke in the fiance box, not wanting him to have contact with Rory, not making sure her mother knew he was coming to Rory's birthday party, and not going again to a FND with Rory also there (did that ever happen? Even earlier? The writers made a weirdly strong separation between Rory and Luke when it came to interactions with Lorelai). 

• Love 3

Interesting, reading the Darcy/Elizabeth comparisons to Logan/Rory.  I would have said that Logan was more Wickham than Darcy; in particular, the better-than-we-thought Wickham of Lost in Austen.

Edited by voiceover

I actually didn't have a major problem with Lorelai in " Blame Booze and Melville." IMO, there's nothing wrong with being sure that you're pregnant before you tell your partner. The only evidence Lorelai even had was that she had eaten an apple. And it's not like she blabbed to everyone else about it. She just told Rory, and I thought that was fine. 

• Love 4
On 9/11/2016 at 6:16 AM, voiceover said:

Interesting, reading the Darcy/Elizabeth comparisons to Logan/Rory.  I would have said that Logan was more Wickham than Darcy; in particular, the better-than-we-thought Wickham of Lost in Austen.

Ooh interesting. I'd say Logan isn't nearly villainous enough to be book!Wickham (I haven't seen Lost in Austen). Maybe more of a Frank Churchill from Emma? Wealthy, charming, bit a of an ego, knows full well everyone finds him the most exciting, important man in society. Not a bad guy but can be flirty and manipulative toying with people's feelings and playing multiple girls, though he does genuinely fall for the serious,  quieter girl in the end. Though Lorelai is more of an Emma than Rory: Good at heart, but also rather spoiled, sees herself as prettier and more intelligent than those around her, wins most people over thanks to charm, and loves to meddle in other people's business? And everyone in her small town worships her? And hmm, the parallels with Emma and Lorelai's best friends-turned-end-game-love-interests: Grumpy, you-have-put-up-with-my-moaning-heroically George Knightley and grumpy, I-like-moaning-but-I-like-you-being-happy Luke. 

Is Chris bad enough to be Wickham? Or maybe Willoughby from Sense and Sensibility, immature, foolish, never manages to grow up, leads a woman when he can't commit though he does love her and then loses her to the more reliable guy? *ponders deeply* 

/That turned into an off-topic Austen rant. Apologies./

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 5

So, I'm obviously terribly behind in the rewatch (been hitting West Wing pretty hard to hide from reality), but: just watched "But I'm a Gilmore!" tonight.  I realize that the Huntzbergers had already made their mind up about Rory before she walked in the door, but perhaps had she not acted like she had never seen a big house and fancy art before like a 12 year old from Kansas on her first trip to Times Square, her whole, "But how could they say I'm not good enough and don't understand what it means to be a Huntzberger?!" schtick might have been a little more believable.  On rewatch, she seems so starry-eyed about the trappings of Logan (he knows Tony Kirchner!) it undermines the notion that she's fully integrated into her grandparents' world and also makes her seem terribly naive.

On a totally shallow note, she looks like a grown up when meeting the Huntzbergers at their house and in the newsroom, and then she reverts to Chilton hair style Rory when interning with Mitchum - it's as though they deliberately made her look as young and apple polish-y as possible to highlight how badly she was doing.

• Love 3

I think Richard was fully intending to go along with Lorelai's plan, however, when Rory showed up at the house unexpectedly he crumbled.  The look of terror on his face when Rory fell apart in his arms broke my heart.  He and Emily had never seen Rory in such despair.  He felt so helpless and in that moment he just wanted to "fix" her and give her whatever she wanted to ease her pain.  Rory was being very manipulative.  She knew if she went behind Lorelai's back and went to the grandparents BEFORE dinner that night that they would help her get her way.  Emily and Richard were wrong for not going along with Lorelai's plan but I can understand why they did what they did.  If Lorelai and her parents could have calmly talked it over that night they could have come out with another plan.  If Lorelai could have kept her cool and Richard could have explained what kind of state Rory was in when she came to see him that afternoon, things would not have gotten so out of hand and the "rift" could have be avoided.

• Love 7

If Lorelai and her parents could have calmly talked it over that night they could have come out with another plan. 

I recall the conversation as being calm albeit Lorelai was in a state of shock.  What a;ternate plan would they have come up with?  The elder Gilmore's had already decided what was best for Rory and were unlikely to budge from it:  "Your mother and I have been talking about the situation. We have discussed the matter thoroughly, and we have come to a decision."  Not only that, they had already discussed it with Rory behind Lorelai's back so there was no turning back at that point.

So, as usual with the elder Gilmore's, it was their way or the highway.

• Love 4
On 8/23/2016 at 10:44 PM, deaja said:

Will I ever understand the pink sequined jacket Lorelai wears over her blue dress in Wedding Bell Blues? 

No, I don't think I will.

Understanding begins when we accept that Lorelei's clothes are quite often ridiculous.  I think we get blinded by the gorgeousness of Lauren Graham and don't look closely at what she is wearing.  Like the clothes fall under the Lauren-is-pretty glow.  But really?  She wears some ugly, ugly clothes.  Not Carrie Bradshaw level of ugly but ugly nonetheless.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I think Richard was fully intending to go along with Lorelai's plan, however, when Rory showed up at the house unexpectedly he crumbled.  The look of terror on his face when Rory fell apart in his arms broke my heart.  He and Emily had never seen Rory in such despair.  He felt so helpless and in that moment he just wanted to "fix" her and give her whatever she wanted to ease her pain.  Rory was being very manipulative.  She knew if she went behind Lorelai's back and went to the grandparents BEFORE dinner that night that they would help her get her way.  Emily and Richard were wrong for not going along with Lorelai's plan but I can understand why they did what they did.  If Lorelai and her parents could have calmly talked it over that night they could have come out with another plan.  If Lorelai could have kept her cool and Richard could have explained what kind of state Rory was in when she came to see him that afternoon, things would not have gotten so out of hand and the "rift" could have be avoided.

I agree that all parties are to blame, Rory included. Even though I understand that Rory was upset and her mom was not exactly happy to hear that her daughter wanted to take a year off from Yale, her going to her grandparents. I don't blame any of them for reacting like they did, but I also think that each of them have a part in the fallout. 

Lorelai, for me, has less blame in this particular scenario, although I hold her accountable for her actions in season 6 with Rory (but that's for another thread). Emily and Richard definitely handled this badly, though. Manipulated by Rory or not, them making the decision for Rory without consulting Lorelai was really out of line. Even if Richard had told Lorelai the full extent of Rory's state, it doesn't give him or Emily the right to step in and not discuss with Lorelai first. Because she wasn't included in the decision, she was lied to, and Rory was already moving in her stuff when the fallout happened, Lorelai had the right to be pissed at her parents. The one time that Lorelai actually asks her parents for help with Rory without it being about money and without any blackmail involved, and they go behind her back and prove how untrustworthy they can be. 

Rory wanting to drop out for a year is fine. But Rory deciding very quickly that she wanted to drop out because of one man and not even having more discussions with the entire family before is just wrong of her. I don't think she did it consciously, but she definitely went to her grandparents because she knew they'd take her side, that they'd accept her decision unlike her mom, and she knew her grandparents would know how to handle the fallout. Plus, Rory, unlike others, have a place to go when this kind of disagreement happens with her and her mom. Much like season 1, when Rory ran to her grandparents after her fight with her mom. 

Much like Rory avoiding the next fallout with her grandparents in season 6, Rory does not do confrontation well at all. Unfortunately, it just makes her look worse. Lorelai knew that Rory dropped out because of Mitchum and not for any other reason. She knew it was a hasty decision and she wanted to make sure she really thought about it. I think if Rory had actually talked with her mom throughout the summer, she would have eventually seen Rory's side. Plus, it would have given Rory more time to contemplate her decision. As it is, each side handled it badly at different points in the arc. 

• Love 4

Sigh...

Due to recent events, I've been immersing myself in my fanfic again as a form of escapism. I was watching A Messenger Nothing More for research purposes. Then this dialogue had to send me back to reality in a sad way...

LORELAI: How are you?

LUKE: Good.

LORELAI: Sorry, that was incomplete. How are you, you big, fat liar?

LUKE: What?

LORELAI: You said you would be home yesterday.

LUKE: I'm coming home today for sure.

LORELAI: "Oh, what's that, Lucy? A football for me to kick?"

LUKE: I mean it this time.

[T.J. feigns distress from his attempts to open the metal cash box]

T.J.: Oh, whoa! Man! Whoo!

LUKE: [rolls his eyes] It's a done deal.

LORELAI: I'll believe it when I see it.

[...]

LORELAI: So, what lie are you gonna tell me about coming home now?

LUKE: I'm coming home today.

LORELAI: So, next week?

LUKE: Today.

LORELAI: This month at least?

LUKE: Today.

LORELAI: See you when Hillary's president.

LUKE: I'll see you later today.

LORELAI: Bye.

Sad face.

On a separate topic, but same episode, I find it super bizarre that Lorelai thinks the best topic for meaningless chit chat is to wonder outloud if someone made a pass at Luke and calling that person a slut. Then she's clueless enough to call their home sanctuary. Were the writers TRYING to be ironic, or were they as clueless?

LORELAI: Hey, do you think Annie the Grog Girl made a pass at Luke? I'm sure he rebuffed her, but he was there a long time. I hope not. I'd joust the little slut.

RORY: [ Chuckles ] Hmm.

LORELAI: So, you want to talk about --

RORY: Something to watch?

LORELAI: Uh, yes. Something to watch.

RORY: You pick.

LORELAI: Will you be mad if it's "Showgirls" again? I got the deluxe edition with shot glasses and a drinking game. [Rory looks up sadly. They sit in silence for a few moments] Sanctuary.

So weird.

8 hours ago, takalotti said:

Sigh...

Due to recent events, I've been immersing myself in my fanfic again as a form of escapism. I was watching A Messenger Nothing More for research purposes. Then this dialogue had to send me back to reality in a sad way...

Sad face.

On a separate topic, but same episode, I find it super bizarre that Lorelai thinks the best topic for meaningless chit chat is to wonder outloud if someone made a pass at Luke and calling that person a slut. Then she's clueless enough to call their home sanctuary. Were the writers TRYING to be ironic, or were they as clueless?

So weird.

I totally got that second exchange with Rory. Lorelai was trying to lighten the mood. When she saw it wasn't working, to me her saying "sanctuary"  was saying - You're my kid and I love you. Rory knew perfectly well her mother didn't approve of her affair with Dean, plus Rory admitted she screwed up, so a mother's love is needed. I thought it was perfect and the writers nailed it.

• Love 2
On 23.11.2016 at 4:30 PM, hippielamb said:

I don't think Chris did anything that would warrant cutting him out for good.

3 words. Wedding Bell Blues. A person who does that to you and your loved ones you don't ever need in your life. Someone who willingly aims to destroy your happiness is worth it to keep in your life? I don't think that's true for most people. Most people are smart enough to cut such people off.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Smad said:

3 words. Wedding Bell Blues. A person who does that to you and your loved ones you don't ever need in your life. Someone who willingly aims to destroy your happiness is worth it to keep in your life? I don't think that's true for most people. Most people are smart enough to cut such people off.

Lorelai blamed Emily for that debacle, justifiably so. Chris got drunk and wanted to get her back and things didn't go as planned. I don't think he thought he was ruining Lorelai's happiness because she hadn't even told Chris she was dating Luke until they were introduced. Even if he were responsible for all the drama, they share a kid. 

• Love 2

I am always annoyed by the justification "I was drunk so I didn't know what I was saying".  That's a BS excuse.  And whether or not he knew L & L were close, his behavior was inexcusable.  I'd have kicked his can to the curb in a heartbeat.  He can see his kid but not when I'm around.

• Love 7

Plus, Emily said that L/L were serious and that's why Christopher had to break them up NOW when she gave Chris this urgent "Timing has never been your strong suit" mission. L/L's seriousness was the whole point behind the last minute invite and Christopher making a "It's not too late scene."

I thought I wrote about this stuff several weeks ago. I think the boards deleted my post. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Lorelai blamed Emily for that debacle, justifiably so. Chris got drunk and wanted to get her back and things didn't go as planned. I don't think he thought he was ruining Lorelai's happiness because she hadn't even told Chris she was dating Luke until they were introduced. Even if he were responsible for all the drama, they share a kid. 

So what if she blamed Emily? Chris made a choice. Unless you can prove to me that he really is a robot that was turned on by Emily then he is just as guilty. Because unlike a robot, a human has free will. Chris chose to do what Emily told him to do. I don't even care why. All I know is that if he actually cared about Lorelai, he would have picked up his phone right after Emily left and called Lorelai to tell her what her mother is trying to pull. That's what good friends do. Instead he chose to do what Emily asked of him.

How could he not know he was going to ruin her happiness? Rory freaking told him episodes ago to stay the hell away from Lorelai because she was with someone who made her mom happy, someone more reliable than her own father. What does it matter whether he knew it was Luke or not? He knew, period.

And so what if they have a kid together? Outside of any decisions regarding finances, family vacations, graduations or weddings and the like Lorelai doesn't need to be in any contact with the father of her child.

• Love 8

Serious question: what did Christopher actually DO? It's been so long ago that I honestly don't remember. I recall him (and Luke) freaking out about Rory and Logan, and the "you and me, we're through" ending, but I have no recollection of how they got to that ending. 

• Love 1

Christopher pretty much makes an ass of himself at the reception.  Gets drunk and keeps telling stories about the times he and Lorelai were together, all in front of Luke.  Then when they all find Rory and her paramour together, Christopher and Luke get into it as follows:

CHRIS: It’s none of your business what’s going on with Rory.
LUKE: It sure the hell is my business.
LORELAI: Oh, guys, please!
CHRIS: Rory is my daughter. Mine.
LUKE: Oh, really? Well then, where the hell were you when she got the chicken pox and would only eat mashed potatoes for a week, or where were you when she graduated high school, or started college? Huh? Who the hell moved her mattress into her dorm, and out of her dorm and back into her dorm again?
LORELAI: Luke, please. This is not the time.
CHRIS: Where I was doesn’t concern you. Rory is my daughter, and Lorelai’s daughter, and that’s it.
LUKE: Well, I’m with Lorelai!
CHRIS: For now!
LUKE: What does that mean, for now? What is that, a threat?
CHRIS: Lorelai and I belong together. Everyone knows it! I know it, Emily knows it!
LUKE: What?
CHRIS: Look, I blew it, okay? I know that I blew it. [To Lorelai] You waited, and I didn’t come through, and now you’re with him. But it’s not too late!
LORELAI: Chris, don’t.
CHRIS: It’s not too late. I know it’s not too late. Emily told me it wasn’t too late! [Luke glares at Lorelai. She looks guilty.] I mean, that’s why I’m here, okay? I know you’re with him. But it’s for now, it’s not forever. It’s just for now. I know that.

• Love 3

Ah, yes, I remember Christopher and Luke both pissing all over Rory to mark their territory. I guess I never really understood why that caused a problem between Luke and Lorelai. She didn't invite Chris, or encourage him. I think that was the beginning of the end for me and the L/L relationship. I hated the way Luke treated Lorelai that night. 

I think that's why I thought there had to be more than I remembered, because it seemed like everybody flipped out over nothing. Chris was an easily manipulated jerk. Emily was a shallow control freak. None of that was new. *shrug*

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, photo fox said:

Ah, yes, I remember Christopher and Luke both pissing all over Rory to mark their territory. I guess I never really understood why that caused a problem between Luke and Lorelai. She didn't invite Chris, or encourage him. I think that was the beginning of the end for me and the L/L relationship. I hated the way Luke treated Lorelai that night. 

I think that's why I thought there had to be more than I remembered, because it seemed like everybody flipped out over nothing. Chris was an easily manipulated jerk. Emily was a shallow control freak. None of that was new. *shrug*

But the blowup was based on earlier events in the episode and/or earlier episodes. Lorelai didn't tell Luke about spending the evening drinking with Chris after his father died until the wedding reception when she saw Chris was there. She quickly admitted to a lie of omission so Luke wouldn't be blindsided. A pattern of omission between Luke and Lorelai that continues.

• Love 3

Thanks, @chessiegal, I had indeed forgotten that part!

(Still not a fan of Luke's over-the-top (IMO) reaction, but it's more understandable. And still completely irritated with both Luke and Christopher for making such a scene with Rory. She was hardly a blushing virgin, as the whole town knew! But then again, Season 6 seemed to forget that Rory had already given her "precious gift" to Dean. lol)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, photo fox said:

I hated the way Luke treated Lorelai that night. 

How did Luke treat Lorelai wrong that evening? He gave her a bit of a cold shoulder after Lorelai's tequila night reveal which was totally understandable IMO. He relaxed again after a while until drunk Chris decided to join them at their table and start with the 'remember when' shtick. He then followed her because she went off to search for Rory and told her, calmly, they needed to talk. I might concede that leaving her there at the reception and going home by himself after the blow up wasn't great. But frankly it looked like everyone had conspired to humiliate him, including Lorelai. All she could manage was a weak 'Chris don't.' and 'I don't know what he's talking about.' when Chris called Luke the for-now-guy? It probably looked to be true for him what with her lie about tequila night and weak response.

Everyone treated Luke like crap that evening. From Emily to Chris to Lorelai. Richard of all people was probably the nicest by offering Luke to have his wrinkled pants steamed or whatever.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 8

I will add that while I was on Luke's side here, I don't criticize Lorelai for her stunned mild reaction like the "Chris, don't" or getting rooked into the family photo instead of following Luke. I think Christopher's and Emily's ambush was just that shocking that even though her heart absolutely wanted to fight for Luke, she was stymied by the What The Hell?! of the evening. (I do criticize her for lying about tequila night, making promises she would never keep about cutting her parents and Christopher out of her life, and not respecting Luke's desire for space.)

Spoiler

Which can be a valid request despite what Luke, himself, said in the Revival  

But really, Emily and Christopher created an untenable poisonous situation that L/L had trouble dealing with because it was just that weird and conspiratorial and vicious. Emily, at least, apologized and did what she could to reverse herself. Christopher was just lying in his own "It was a misunderstanding" emails. I don't see what he possibly misunderstood.