Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E18: There's A Fine, Fine Line / S12.E19: It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

• Start Topic

Maybe it's because I don't always give the show my full attention now, but I rarely get the feeling that Bailey even likes her husband. 

It's true, half of the time she seems annoyed with him for whatever reason. Ever since he decided to change specialties they've had a more of a mother/son relationship, minus the icky incestous angle obviously. 

• Love 2

I'm not a regular poster in this forum and this isn't even the proper thread to post this but it's getting the most traffic.  I'm ashamed and embarrassed to say that I'm just now starting to really pay attention to this show through reruns.  Love it, love the characters, writing, love it all. I plan on watching all seasons over the summer.

My question:  I caught a couple episodes the other day about the aftermath of a plane crash they were in.  Can someone tell me why they were in the plane? 

I'm not a regular poster in this forum and this isn't even the proper thread to post this but it's getting the most traffic.  I'm ashamed and embarrassed to say that I'm just now starting to really pay attention to this show through reruns.  Love it, love the characters, writing, love it all. I plan on watching all seasons over the summer.

My question:  I caught a couple episodes the other day about the aftermath of a plane crash they were in.  Can someone tell me why they were in the plane? 

I"ve tried to block as much of the plane crash and aftermath as I can from my memory, but I believe that they going to help at another hospital or something.  Alex was supposed to be on the plane instead of Arizona but she was mad at him about wanting to go to Hopkins and so she kicked him off.  I don't remember exactly what role the other doctors were supposed to play.  Hope that helps a little!

• Love 1

I"ve tried to block as much of the plane crash and aftermath as I can from my memory, but I believe that they going to help at another hospital or something.  Alex was supposed to be on the plane instead of Arizona but she was mad at him about wanting to go to Hopkins and so she kicked him off.  I don't remember exactly what role the other doctors were supposed to play.  Hope that helps a little!

Thank you!  Someone pm'd me to say she thought she remembered they were on their way to separate conjoined twins. The episode I saw yesterday ended with the Drs. turning down the huge settlement from the airline. 

Is it sad that the only summer plans I have are to watch the entire series? :-)

Thank you!  Someone pm'd me to say she thought she remembered they were on their way to separate conjoined twins. The episode I saw yesterday ended with the Drs. turning down the huge settlement from the airline. 

Is it sad that the only summer plans I have are to watch the entire series? :-)

Yes - they were en route to another hospital to separate twins. And it takes entirely too long (like, unreasonably long) for anyone to notice they were missing. What I like about the plane storyline is that they still reference it. There are little callbacks to it with Meredith and Arizona.

• Love 1

I liked this episode. I've really been enjoying these "back 9," ever since Meredith's attack. It feels like it's been a while since Grey's has done a "tug at the heartstrings" patient arc. Even if it was what felt like a bizarro world version of ER's classic, "Love's Labor's Lost."

I saw something else going on with Ben other than just being "in the zone." The theme of powerlessness he's felt, with the accountant and being constantly reminded how Bailey makes more than he does. I don't think he did the surgery because he thought he was invincible because his wife was the chief -- I think he did the surgery to prove he was as good as the chief. Like "Hey, she's not the only rock star surgeon -- I am, too!" Not that being married to the chief inured him from punishment, but being married to the chief made him feel inadequate and insecure and the way to prove his worthiness was to perform heroic, albeit reckless surgeries.

I don't buy for a minute he didn't see the doors open. He made the choice and he was sticking to it. Also (which was never brought up again, I don't think), Gretchen asked him to save her baby. I think it was an odd combination of wanting to prove his worth and honor the patient's wishes. Likely if they'd waited, the doctors would've been able to stabilize the mother, but the baby might've died.

That being said, I loved the episode (other than the gross-out factor). The director, Jeannot Szwarc, has been directing crime dramas for years, and I love his style. It's very intense and hyperreal and he brought a lot of that atmosphere to the show. It was almost as good (at points, better) than Denzel Washington's directing, to me.

I still think he saw the doors open, he looked up but I think he had made up his mind he was going to cut and also that there would not be enough time to attempt to save Gretchen or the baby if they waited and did nothing to get up to an OR. I think he should have said that. Instead of his "I did what was right!" I think he should have said, something along the lines of, "yes, the doors opened but in my time frame I didn't think we had any time to spare, so I did what I thought was best, I'm sorry it didn't save Gretchen or the baby" instead he didn't show any remorse for the fact that Gretchen and the baby had died. 

• Love 1