Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Pod Drama

• Start Topic

No, the jail has cameras set up in all the pods and in some of the cells. Robert infamously put a towel around one and got thrown in the hole.

Weren't new cameras put in when this program started? Cameras that were placed lower to the ground? Since these pods supposedly have full visual coverage now...who's watching the videos? How was it Sherriff Dullard had to come in and ask who was fighting? It was all caught on camera. Shouldntbthey have seen Richard palming his meds? Wouldn't they have seen the attack?

This place seems to have nearly no correction officers. What's to prevent rapes or prevent an inmate from putting ground glass in someone's food? Maybe i need more than OZ as a frame of reference but shouldn't there be at least one officer in the cell?

• Love 3

Weren't new cameras put in when this program started? Cameras that were placed lower to the ground? Since these pods supposedly have full visual coverage now...who's watching the videos? How was it Sherriff Dullard had to come in and ask who was fighting? It was all caught on camera. Shouldntbthey have seen Richard palming his meds? Wouldn't they have seen the attack?

This place seems to have nearly no correction officers. What's to prevent rapes or prevent an inmate from putting ground glass in someone's food? Maybe i need more than OZ as a frame of reference but shouldn't there be at least one officer in the cell?

Just guessing, but I bet those cameras and the microphones in the pods are from the production crew and don't have officers watching them. If not, I could see an officer who was watching multiple cameras from multiple pods at the same time missing something like Ricky trading his drugs. But there's no way they could miss a fight -- especially since the pods have cameras in a number of the cells too.

I have to admit, this is feeling faker and faker and faker to me.

• Love 1

Is the show getting all their footage with a cameraman walking around the pods?  

no, i don't think so. I think some of it's just through the jailhouse cameras. 

I think it's clear that this jail is overcrowded and understaffed. 

• Love 2

The thing I am finding faker than shit is Sheriff Idiot's continued pleadings to the camera how once these people are embedded in "the program", there's fuck all nothing he can do to stop any of the situations and NO ONE working at the jail has any idea that this is a documentary designed to ferret out drug dealing guards and jail inmates.

Point - if Zac - who we know is inside purely to help the cops and stop drug deals, is found with drugs, even if they're planted by inmates, then I will expect Zac to get charges - because *inmates* are held accountable and assumed to be lying over such things all the time.

Point - if Zac - who we know is inside purely to help the cops and stop drug deals, is found with drugs, even if they're planted by inmates, then I will expect Zac to get charges - because *inmates* are held accountable and assumed to be lying over such things all the time.

Pretty sure that was explicitly stated in the first episode.

Yet, I have a feeling, a really good feeling, that we'll see a little dance done in order to avoid treating Zac exactly as an inmate since Zac really *isn't* an inmate. If Zac is really treated like an inmate then Zac will never be a DEA agent because a drug charge, even one dismissed, will go on his record.

That's why this whole thing feels like a put on - this is a super secret project being filmed and Sheriff Idiot is all "if they commit a crime while undercover, they will be prosecuted" - but he has actual film footage of an inmate attacking Jeff and not a word about prosecution.

I accept those potential excuses but it doesn't explain Sheriff Idiot's lackadaisical response to why Jeff was leaving. Jeff left because Jeff was publically assaulted and no one stepped in to stop it and Ricky, who is visibly schizo, was free to do it again.... and Sheriff Idiot was pretty much acting like Jeff ruined his Sunday with his crybaby pussy act and should have manned up.

This tells me some of the problem in this jail is trickling down from the head. Seriously, Jeff was assaulted while lying on his bunk and Sheriff Idiot acted like Jeff was inconveniencing him with a petty concern when *Jeff was assaulted by an inmate*. - wasn't the whole point of the "project" to find out what was wrong in the jail?

• Love 5

I think they said Ricky was put in seg and they're making him take his meds now. Why were they not making him take them when he was in gen pop? Reminds me of the movie Girl, Interrupted. They put the pill under their tongue to pretend it was swallowed. Open your mouth, say ahhhh, and it looks like it's gone. So stupid. Maybe they can administer the pill in liquid form? I don't know if that's possible but clearly Ricky should not be the one deciding to take his pills or not.

On the lipstick alley forum there are some interesting ideas that if the season two was filmed at the same time, maybe there are other moles. Makes ya wonder. Also, there is some info on the inmates and the editing.

I tried to like this show, in the hopes it would be both interesting and informative and ACTUALLY real--but all I see-- is fake. Fake, fake, fake, fakery, fake.  Not even good "actors" these reality stars--if Tami was anywhere near as horrible and douchey as a cop, with a badge and gun--someone would have killed her by now, gun or not--I'm guessing her partner would have driven her off a bridge. She's an asshole. Her wife is a saint.

If Robert is as "crazy " as he appears to be--anyone--in their right mind, would have removed him immediately from said program. Same with Tami. They are there for DRAMA. Barbra loves the word drama--everything out of her mouth is drama. She's a fake as a 3.00 bill. With credits for "acting" on IMDB. Surprise, surprise. 

Robert does have frightening eyes, but I think he's just paid to act like that. No way will I believe he's delusional, and then suddenly passes an evaluation. Either you are, or you aren't--not going to switch it on and off that easily unless you are crazy like a fox.

Zak--looks and smells like a cop from here--how can he even be considered an inmate by inmates--many of whom I expect are also actors...these are the people we "know" are in the program--are there any others who we don't know about? That would make it more interesting at least.

Jeff--poor Jeff--someone saw a mark a mile away--why would anyone let him into such a potentially dangerous situation? How much would it take in money--for someone to get ME to go to jail for 60 days? You could not PAY ME enough! Unless you promised me that I would be safe and watched 24/7 by people who could save my ass from getting killed, and I'd want some serious $$ for it...

Sheriff is also a terrible actor--terrible--learn your lines, man--you stink. He can hardly keep a straight face.

Did anyone else notice the girl who jumped--backwards--off the balcony thing--was first on her face and then on her back? (Or visa versa) they didn't get the edit right the first time--so had to redo. That little bit of blood on the ground--if you hit concrete with your HEAD--you are going to bleed like a stuck pig--not just a little bit--scalp wounds bleed like CRAZY.  She fell a long way!

I got run down by a 1000 pound cow in a concrete barn--and it looked like I'd been murdered--blood to my waist, and a pool on the floor--all for a tiny little 2 inch scalp laceration. So--I call foul there, too.(I can't go back and watch it though--I've seen the episode twice but we don't have TV on demand)

I do believe Ricky is truly a paranoid schizophrenic.  He has the ritualistic behaviors correct, and I worked with some pretty sick ones. But, I also think that suggestions were given to him, and he's unmanageable enough from lack of medication to act on them. Schizophrenic's off medication can be loaded guns, and it's completely irresponsible of the jail to allow this to transpire. You ask them to open their mouth, move tongue up down, and show the nurse or guard they've swallowed the pill. Takes no real time, it's part of the routine for the day. 

• Love 3

I thought I would really like this, but the episodes seem disjointed, too much moving around and we aren't really seeing what everyday jail life is like. I really can't stand the Sheriff: so far he has complained about the participants for, fitting in too well, not fitting in enough, being to quiet, being to loud, putting up with being pushed around, standing up for themselves. Nothing seems to please this man. To me, Zak and perhaps Maryum seem the most well adjusted. Barbra and Tami seem to have serious issues and of course there's Robert.

I'm glad Jeff got out of there. Yes, he agreed to be on this reality show but how could you know you would be attacked and no one would do anything? I would be willing to bet the producers told everyone they would be safe. Would you go into jail if they told you, you could be killed? No one would. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

I thought I would really like this, but the episodes seem disjointed, too much moving around and we aren't really seeing what everyday jail life is like. I really can't stand the Sheriff: so far he has complained about the participants for, fitting in too well, not fitting in enough, being to quiet, being to loud, putting up with being pushed around, standing up for themselves. Nothing seems to please this man. To me, Zak and perhaps Maryum seem the most well adjusted. Barbra and Tami seem to have serious issues and of course there's Robert.

I'm glad Jeff got out of there. Yes, he agreed to be on this reality show but how could you know you would be attacked and no one would do anything? I would be willing to bet the producers told everyone they would be safe. Would you go into jail if they told you, you could be killed? No one would. 

I wouldn't go to jail for any reason, not for fame nor fortune.(Not even if my father is Mohamed Ali.) Truly,  if they are in general population with minimal supervision--it is pure insanity. There has to be more to this--they simply can't be as unsafe as it appears, or someone would surely get killed. It would be an insurance nightmare.

• Love 3

Me, three!

Oops, me four!

I'm a member of the gang!

I had no idea my user name was so fascinating! :D

(feels pretty)

And you are pretty, Bob!

I tried to like this show, in the hopes it would be both interesting and informative and ACTUALLY real--but all I see-- is fake. Fake, fake, fake, fakery, fake.  Not even good "actors" these reality stars.....

Zak--looks and smells like a cop from here--how can he even be considered an inmate by inmates--many of whom I expect are also actors....

Sheriff is also a terrible actor--terrible--learn your lines, man--you stink. He can hardly keep a straight face.

I guess I don't understand how this could be fake if those are actual inmates.  Are you saying the inmates are actors, as well as the citizens and jail employees?  If that's the case, wouldn't they have to proclaim that in the credits?  Are you saying the citizens are just playing roles, and Tami may not actually be a cop in real life, but an actoring portraying a cop in jail?  The same with Elijah's backstory, and Barbra's, blah blah blah.

You may be perfectly correct, but I don't see how this works.  Could you elaborate a little?  Thank you!

This jail is so odd. I don't have any first-hand experience but on any other jail show, there are always guards overseeing each pod or cell grouping. Even the overcrowded ones where people are sleeping in converted gyms.

Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more violence. It seems like anyone can do anything and they have a 50/50 chance as to whether the guards were monitoring the cameras at that moment.

As others have mentioned, I thought Barbra's freak out was weird. It seemed like she was fighting hard not to smile during parts of her interview.

If I was that Sheriff, I think I'd be humiliated by the state of security at that facility.

As others have mentioned, I thought Barbra's freak out was weird. It seemed like she was fighting hard not to smile during parts of her interview.

Ok, I did see that and thought it seemed totally rehearsed   And you're absolutely right about her smiling, especially at the end. 

What is lipstick alley?  Where could I find it, please? and thank you.

I think the ones who drop out should have to share a cell until the end of the filming.  Let's see who blows first among the non-inmates.

And you are pretty, Bob!

I guess I don't understand how this could be fake if those are actual inmates.  Are you saying the inmates are actors, as well as the citizens and jail employees?  If that's the case, wouldn't they have to proclaim that in the credits?  Are you saying the citizens are just playing roles, and Tami may not actually be a cop in real life, but an actoring portraying a cop in jail?  The same with Elijah's backstory, and Barbra's, blah blah blah.

You may be perfectly correct, but I don't see how this works.  Could you elaborate a little?  Thank you!

I think it's fake.  Some of the inmates are inmates, but I think key others--are not. The ones getting facetime on camera--I think they are pretending to play prisoners.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll come out that those fake prisoners will be next year's "reality prison" moles. Possible, eh?

Apparently--Tami was only a cop for (without looking)--either 6 or 9 years, not 20 as she claims--so--here we have lying liars, who lie. She was a security guard prior--not police, and then worked in some liaison role after her stint as a cop, and it wasn't being a cop. So at least some of her story is bullshit. How many others are? 

Barbra--is trying so hard to be "real" and again--fake, and a bad actor. Tell her to cry, she'll cry poorly constructed crocodile tears with half a smile on her face, because she knows she can't act. This is not real life. It shouldn't pretend to be. Because if it is real--then the jail has some seriously fucked up priorities. Get A and E in and make a drama, rather than observing and intervening when violence breaks out. I don't buy it. 

• Love 2

And you are pretty, Bob!

You may be perfectly correct, but I don't see how this works.  Could you elaborate a little?  Thank you

No more than Survivor or Big Brother has to proclaim it's "fake reality" in it's credits.

They took totally out of the box characters who stick out like sore thumbs, and stuck them in jail. See who cracks first. Well, most of them have cracked in one way or the other--and it's for our AMUSEMENT--not to fix a broken system--but to make a reality TV series. Why else would Tami be so horribly obnoxious?  Why else would Robert be so abundantly nuts?  Why would Barbra go from being a shrinking violet to a sista from the hood seemingly overnight? Get Jeff punched in the face (but no marks)--for our amusement. Because that's what makes people watch TV.  I'm watching--so it's working. But I'm hate watching now.  Kindof like "I am Cait" (only I can't, won't watch her anymore, and never, ever a Kartrashian)

MayMay (aka Yaz) Ali--is normal, to temper the crazy that is Tami.

Izaiah, is normal, to temper the crazy that is Robert.

Zak is the beefcake to make the ladies swoon...

Jeff--poor Jeff--there's always one who gets voted off the island--that would be Jeff's role.

Totally my thoughts--I have no stake in the game, don't know these people and never want to--nor would you get me to go inside for anything less than a trillion dollars in unmarked commisary dollars.

:)

• Love 2

I think Zac is a nice enough looking guy, but I wouldn't cast him as "beefcake" by any stretch of the imagination.  

Obviously most of the cast was chosen because they're good public speakers and had a head start on presenting themselves candidly on television.  A couple have the requisite reality show personality disorders. A couple are normal, nice people.  

I think the chief fakeness in the talking heads/confessionals may be that other reality show fundamental -- multiple takes of the same question.  I don't care how genuine you are, you're going to look fake the 5th time you tell a story.  

Presumably they were pulling OTHER inmates out at the same time and interviewing them, just to cover themselves.  Wonder what they did with that footage?  (Or, if rumors are true and they were shooting two seasons at once, they could have just pulled THOSE people we haven't yet met out).  But at some point that doesn't make sense.  If there are any genuine inmates in there at all, adding a half dozen extra bodies to that small room/limited bunk space is a pretty rotten use of community resources.

• Love 4

I think Zac is a nice enough looking guy, but I wouldn't cast him as "beefcake" by any stretch of the imagination.  

Obviously most of the cast was chosen because they're good public speakers and had a head start on presenting themselves candidly on television.  A couple have the requisite reality show personality disorders. A couple are normal, nice people.  

I think the chief fakeness in the talking heads/confessionals may be that other reality show fundamental -- multiple takes of the same question.  I don't care how genuine you are, you're going to look fake the 5th time you tell a story.  

Presumably they were pulling OTHER inmates out at the same time and interviewing them, just to cover themselves.  Wonder what they did with that footage?  (Or, if rumors are true and they were shooting two seasons at once, they could have just pulled THOSE people we haven't yet met out).  But at some point that doesn't make sense.  If there are any genuine inmates in there at all, adding a half dozen extra bodies to that small room/limited bunk space is a pretty rotten use of community resources.

Yeah, I don't find him attractive at all, but that's just me. But he's cuter than say, Robert.

I think he's perfectly fine...I just think that there are a lot of fame-hungry hot young things out there that if they were casting for that, he would not have been the selection. I think he was picked because he's cool under pressure as well as smart. My jury is out as to whether they thought they had the same thing in Tami and were surprised, or whether they knew she was this fragile and just portrayed her as thoughtful and calm to make her inevitable breakdown more dramatic to us.

• Love 1

DiAundre's fight looked fake as hell to me. Was there even another inmate in the cell? We just saw him swinging wildly at nothing.

Has Barbra ever worked in an office before? When folks retire from my job, the first thing we do is raid their office. They don't need those post-its anymore and somebody has been coveting that stapler forever. It's done with no malice towards the retiree. We just want your shit.

I think Barbra was just put off by her husband's distance in his phone calls. Perhaps she thinks he's cheating and she wants to go home to get back to monitoring him.

And is Tami that short? Or is her wife that tall?

Although she's short, I think Tami was in the street and her wife on the curb in that goodbye scene.

Although she's short, I think Tami was in the street and her wife on the curb in that goodbye scene.

There is the same height discrepancy when they hug during the prison visit, and there's certainly no curb in that little room.

• Love 1

I don't understand how the producers always know what's going down before the officers.  The crazy guy's been off his meds for days, and yet they allow him to go into a psychotic meltdown and attack another inmate.  And then they don't even notice the beat down until the inmate makes a phone call to his wife?  What if he still didn't have his dumb commissary thingy like happened to Isaiah?  He'd just be shit out of luck?

I'm just really grossed out how the "pod leaders" are allowed to run things.  A show I would be interested in?  Seeing these little pissants who rule the roost getting sent to prison.  Give them a taste of their own medicine.

• Love 1

Just guessing, but I bet those cameras and the microphones in the pods are from the production crew and don't have officers watching them. If not, I could see an officer who was watching multiple cameras from multiple pods at the same time missing something like Ricky trading his drugs. But there's no way they could miss a fight -- especially since the pods have cameras in a number of the cells too.

The thing about those cameras being installed is you are then liable for monitoring them.  I'm a nurse, and it's very rare for a hospital to monitor a patient by video.  There are cases where a parent is suspected of deliberately poisoning or suffocating their child due to Munchausen by Proxy, and they're still reluctant to attempt to catch them on video.  There is a liability if the video is not monitored live with immediate intervention.

• Useful 1
Also, the interview with the maniac who attacked Jeff was absolutely bone chilling.  The way he slipped in that weird comment about Jeff trying to rape his son while he was denying anything about a scuffle was one of the most raw, real and terrifying peeks into madness that I've ever seen.

It was very scary but I think they should have inmates that have a mental illness, be in their own secluded section. Sad & scary.

Barbra continues to irritate me. Where does she think she is, summer camp? She is in there with criminals! When her "friend" Sam got out, instead of being happy for the girl, she feels sorry for herself. And what does she expect the inmates to do in the girl's absence, build a shrine? I'd sell (or hoard) that stuff, too. Barbra is narcissistic and weak. I think she fit in because she is too clueless to even bother giving a hard time. And I think she is spoiled on the outside, so she can't relate to the natural instinct the other girls have for grabbing whatever they can, whenever they can. If Sam left stuff behind, I'm sure she WANTED them to have it. Barbra's feeling "betrayed" is so lame. No violence, no one is picking on her or insulting her. They are simply eating a nutty bar. This is why you have no friends, Barbra. You could have trusted Tami, but you did to her what you are whining about now. I think it's funny how quickly she attached herself to Tami again. Every time Barbra says, "I have learned..." I have to laugh. Girl can't learn a thing. 

Jeff, you're a wuss. They never should have even put a mark like you in there. But your whining and getting bullied made for some drama, I guess. Really, since they removed Ricky, he should have bucked up and finished this farce.

So stupid to move Zac at this point. If he has integrated as well as they say he has, then they are ruining their own access to the deeper ins and outs of prison life by moving him. Now he has to start all over. They should have just moved Isaiah. That fight between DeAundre and the other guy over a debt was so staged. They were slapping each other like two school girls.

Everyone on this show is so DUMB. I'm ashamed that I thought it would be real.

And now like a train wreck, I can't stop watching it play out.

I think the show is really important that the show is highlighting that throwing random criminals in together makes degenerates worse and bigger criminals. What a disaster. Makes me dislike politicians that support that morons like the Sheriff Joe idiot that seems to enjoy incarcerating people. Making criminals bigger criminals will make society more dangerous not safer.

Would you prefer they each have their own suites? They made a choice to be in there, and their living conditions are STILL better than many stricken by poverty in this country and around the world. They get shelter and they get fed. And for doing nothing but disrespecting someone else. Does it make them worse than when they got in? Sometimes... But they have a choice to learn from the experience and make different choices next time.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 2

Jeff, you're a wuss. They never should have even put a mark like you in there. But your whining and getting bullied made for some drama, I guess. Really, since they removed Ricky, he should have bucked up and finished this farce.

They couldn't have put him in the same pod. He leaves, and then Ricky is pulled and disciplined. Jeff obviously snitched. He truly would have had the shit kicked out of him if he'd been put in that same pod. The other pod was tougher than this one. so he would have been in even worse shape.

• Love 1

It also was never presented as an option, that Ricky be removed. But I agree, it would look like Jeff snitching. And if nothing else, this should serve as an example of what happens to some average guy who gets arrested for something dumb. If Jeff was actually a prisoner awaiting trial for embezzlement - a white collar crime - well, within seven days of his stay, he was assaulted by a violent inmate, and he was already being extorted by inmates for commissary. And the jail keep's response to that is "stop being a bitch, bitch" and "you're weak" and of course "there's no way we can prevent you being victimized here".

And this happens every day to average guys and women who get arrested, can't afford bail, and are then found not guilty of what they were arrested for. There's a massive assumption of guilt on the part of the staff - that's why Sheriff Idiot and Deputy Dumbfuck are so telling in how they treated Jeff - they were treating him like a criminal and since he's a criminal, he got what he deserved... and that mentality is part of the problem, and I doubt Sheriff Idiot even sees it.

Chewy - Zac had to be moved despite how he was totally accepted because Sheriff Idiot couldn't just kick Robert out of the program. Robert and Zac were in training together so they can't be in the same pod since they can't know there's other participants. Now why they moved Isaiah, I don't know.

But moving Zac despite his total intergration is part of why I am not taking this project so seriously. If this was for real, Robert should have been dumped as unstable, and Zac left in c pod while Isaiah was moved to get eyes on d pod. I genuinely suspect Robert is going to leave the program early which means Zac will have been moved for nothing and since SHeriff Idiot finds it so important to keep Robert in for the 60 days, I think it's all on him if "the project" produces no results.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 4

Didn't Jeff snitch, though? The officer asked Jeff to point out which guy did it and I thought Jeff did. He seemed like a nice guy, but he eas hard to watch being so clueless about everything. 

• Love 1

I don't understand what you mean by "they can't know there's other participants" ZoloftBlob. Of course they know there are others because they were in training together and Tami and Barbra know they're both in the program.

I don't understand what you mean by "they can't know there's other participants" ZoloftBlob. Of course they know there are others because they were in training together and Tami and Barbra know they're both in the program.

I think the Sheriff's point was that he didn't want them to intentionally know other people in the pod, which is why initially Zac and Robert didn't get placed together, and why the rest of the participants were set up in training groups where they wouldn't see who the other participants could be in their pod (ex - Why Tami, Barbra, and Maryum were all trained in separate groups; Zac, Isaiah, and Jeff were all trained in separate groups, etc).  Tami guessed that Barbra was in the program, but no one told her, and I can't remember if the Sheriff knows that Tami sussed Barbra out, or if just the producers know it.  

On top of that, Robert would probably be dumb enough to blow Zac's cover right off the bat.

• Love 1

Didn't Jeff snitch, though? The officer asked Jeff to point out which guy did it and I thought Jeff did. He seemed like a nice guy, but he eas hard to watch being so clueless about everything. 

I thought that at first too, but then realized he wasn't pointing out the perpetrator.  He was pointing out his bunk so they could grab his stuff.  Still, the inmates would've seen him as a snitch regardless of what happened.