Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Death All 'Round

• Start Topic

Just look at how common a practice this was for the Vikings. The assumed rapes were brutal with blood running down the girls legs. It wasn't a pleasant scene by any means. Some here call it SOP but I think not. This type of violence normally is performed by a rogue squad of people. Condoned from above. To the Vikings this was absolutely standard practice. Even King eckbert claimed the kingdom without bloodshed.

It's sometimes disturbing to watch these shows, but as long as they give some "what comes around goes around" it's good. It is a tv show and good entertainment.

I'm enjoying the Wessex and pilgrimage storyline very well.

Ecbert didn't claim Mercia without bloodshed.  Wigstan's men joined with Ecbert's and they defeated the council's army.  Then the papers were signed giving Ecbert his new piece or real estate.  He even mentioned he forced the council members to sign them before he slaughtered every last one of them.  We were told that was what happened by Ecbert himself upon his return to Wessex.  We just didn't see it in all it's gory glory.

And rape and pillaging and torture is not unfortunately done by a few "rogue squads" alone but is the modus operandi of the majority of armies throughout history alas.

Edited by green
  • Love 4

I got serious FEELZ watching the Lothbok Family together. The way Lagertha and Ragnar clung to each other showed so much of the deep love they still share for one another. The two men retreating only a few steps so she could still draw solace from their presence but not have to see them was a tremendous tribute to their family unit.

Little Alfred is adorable!

Poor wee Siggy! Ivar and Aslaug are disastrous but Sigurd showing such disgust for them was interesting. I wonder what tales he'll have for his father.

Finehair and Badhair need to die.

• Love 8

Watched again with the family- I just noticed that Torvi saw Erlandur in the shadows when she and Bjorn were having sex, and she put herself between them to keep Erlandur from shooting him. Nice move.

Eckbert's shamlessness is epic. It's fun to watch this this character continually outdo himself, and it will be fun to see his undoing (Oh please let us see that happen!).  On the flip side of that, Aethelwulf's stoic resignation seemed to lift a little bit when he took Alfred to Rome. He actually seemed proud and almost relaxed.

And as for stoicism, Lagertha crying on Ragnar for a moment then sitting up after her miscarriage was hard to watch, but as others have said, it was moving to see that Ragnar and Bjorn stayed with her.  

It would be fantastic is we could go for more than 6 minutes without a commercial break.  I'm sure it's an expensive show to make, but it's driving me nuts.

• Love 4

The commercials are insane. I actually watched the episode on the History channel's website and there were commercials every four or five minutes. It's getting ridiculous and I'm pissed that we don't get the extended version of the show that airs in Europe.

• Love 2

The original Siggy died last time.

I didn't connect that this was the little girl...I thought it was the original Siggy washed up....

I'm guessing Rollo will get a mistress now since Gisla won't put out until after the baby's born.

I doubt Gisla is going to be able to holdout.

Even King eckbert claimed the kingdom without bloodshed.

I thought they just didn't show it.  I thought King Eckbert and his buddy from the crypt took out the ruling council.

Lagartha’s miscarriage was sad as hell but Ragnar and Bjorn staying was easily the best scene tonight. 

The similarity in body language between Ragnar and Bjorn was amazing.

Edited by SingleMaltBlonde
  • Love 1

And rape and pillaging and torture is not unfortunately done by a few "rogue squads" alone but is the modus operandi of the majority of armies throughout history alas.

I don't think we can even blame this on history:  Kosovo, Rwanda, Boko Harum, Daesh/Isis....all contemporary examples of rape used as a weapon.

• Love 6

All this time and Rollo still can't assess when he's actually being insulted without a smarter woman to analyze it for him. You betrayed your brother, and killed some of your best friends for less, clown. Siggy's rolling over in her grave...

And rolling again because Aslaug hasn't learned her lesson from last time. I wonder if she purposefully let Siggy out, hoping she would pay the Herbard's (sp?) price and not one of her precious children, especially Ivar. I never really got a sense for what Aslaug even wanted out of life, so I don't even feel that bad for her. 

Poor Lagertha. At least she has true family to support her, could you imagine if she were stuck at home with Kalf trying to console her? She def would have murdered him then if she'd passed at their marriage. 

Bjorn's actor has done a creepy-good job at imitating Travis Flimmel's Ragnar, his character is so much his father's son. I'm ready for him to take over, especially now that Torvi is officially Ride or Die for him. Is it bad I thought it was kind of hot when Bjorn glances where Erlander is, and Torvi lines herself up with the shot before turning around? Teamwork!!!

The disappointment radiating off of Bjorn's face when he was evaluating his strung-out father was palpable. Looks like Ragnar's just trying to execute his bucket list before charging into Valhalla.

At least this will somewhat motivate why the hell Ragnar would waste time on round 2 vs Ecbert and Aelle...and get himself killed. Ecbert's newest gambit would also explain why Aelle kills Ragnar so melodramatically. Homeboy is feeling emasculated. Otherwise, I don't see that much creativity in Aelle.

This show does an excellent job of creating compelling characters, while also reminding you there's a reason people went scorched earth trying to root out the vikings. 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 4

I agree with all that that post-miscarriage scene was so beautiful. Ragnar running his hands over Lagertha's hair reminding me of his speech to their dead daughter

I know very well that you are with the Gods. But I will wait here awhile. And if you want to come and talk to me, then come and talk, and I will gently stroke your long and beautiful hair once again with my peasant hands.

And then Lagertha tried to tough it up and made them go away, but both Bjorn and Ragnar gave her space but stayed near. 

Possibly the best acted scene this show has ever done. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 8

I had to laugh at how nonchalant everyone was when Torvi shot Erlander. Oh well, back to work. Oh, you Vikings!

Alfred was adorable, especially in the hat. He even had the Pope charmed.

Poor, poor little Siggy. No one ever cared about that baby. Aslaug and Ivar are repulsive.

In the Ecbert crowning scene there were two boys standing with Judith, one of whom looks exactly like her. I wonder if he is the actress's real son.

• Love 7

I agree with all that that post-miscarriage scene was so beautiful. Ragnar running his hands over Lagertha's hair reminding me of his speech to their dead daughter

And then Lagertha tried to tough it up and made go away, but both Bjorn and Ragnar gave her space but stayed near. 

Possibly the best acted scene this show has ever done. 

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that.  It really was a fantastic scene and reminded me that although the characters are often together, we rarely seem them together in this manner.

Ragnar saying good-bye to Gyda was indeed another great scene, particularly Ragnar's line about stroking her hair with "these peasant hands."

• Love 2

Aw, I feel bad for Lagertha that she lost her last chance at a baby, and lost her granddaughter too. She, Bjorn and Ragnar will be livid when they find out little Siggy died.

And I don't think it really matters if Aslaug actively killed the child or she died of neglect, she is responsible just the same.

And Snake in the Eye knows it.

I'm kinda glad next week is the last ep for a while. Ten eps are a good-sized run for me, and Game of Thrones starts next Sunday. And really, we're getting more eps this season, just split into two half seasons.

Are we obligated to find every child actor "cute as a button"? Because none of these kids are all that cute to me. Actually, the one playing Alfred looked like a fucking little farmer with that hat.

I hate Aslaug and her demon spawn should have been drowned out of the womb.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to see Judith this week, but no, couldn't be that lucky. At least she didn't have any lines. If she did I totally tuned them out. LOL

Loved that Ragnar and Bjorn stayed with Lagertha even when she told them to leave her alone. Torvi killing what's his face was kind of anti-climatic, but it did prove that Bjorn's penis was more powerful than Erlander's (I remembered his name) threats.

Rollo really is simple. I hope he gets the comeuppance he deserves. The emperor's sexual preference was hardly surprising and guess what? He's still pathetic. I WAS surprised Mush Mouth didn't make a stink when he gave Roland such a powerful position.

Is Ragnar close to death? He looks like crap.

Edited by taurusrose

Another visit from Harbard, another dead Siggy left in his wake. Ragnar ain't gonna be pleased with Aslaug when he gets back.

And for some reason, Floki is still having visions of her. I have to admit, this stumps me, mainly because there's never been much interaction between Floki/Aslaug before. 

My gaydar must be rusty, because I did NOT expect the bed reveal between the Emperor and Roland. That said, I can't figure out the relationship between Theresa and Roland: they're publicly known as siblings, but we've also seen them in bed together. So is it incest or are they just pretending to be brother/sister?

Laughed my head off at that final shot of Torvi, having ditched the dressed, put war-paint around her eyes, and taken her husband's bow for herself. Nothing like a little murder to upgrade yourself to badass. 

Dang it, this episode actually made me like Aethelwulf. He seemed so proud of his not-son.

Looking forward to the deaths of the Tattoo Brothers, though I get the feeling we'll be stuck with them for a while. 

The Tattoo Brothers, love it.

What bothered me, in a stark way--was their callous, workaday "nothing to see here" murder, rape and plunder-- and then they cap it off with a rousing song --a sea shanty from about -600 years before I would envision sea shanties came from. Those guys sure like to sing... 

While it's kind of neat because I'm a Canadian Maritimer who grew up on Irish drinking songs played in our kitchens, it's quite disquieting to learn where some of those songs may have actually originated from. And I think that was the whole point of the scene. Nothing different from their regular life--kill, rape, pillage, and sing songs.

So--I got a chance to see it was indeed Roland in bed with the Emperor. Interesting. Gisla is right--the one closest to the King (Emperer) is the one closest to him. Literally. I do wonder if Therese and Roland are actually siblings, or just pretending to be. 

I loved the part where Ragnar and Bjorn were with Lagertha, and when she told them to leave--they as one, just backed up and stayed with her. That was worth the price of admission for me.  The rest of Ragnar's fall to dangerous lows, was just too depressing this week, it wasn't a favorite episode for me. 

I don't know where they found the little boy to play Ivar, but either they lucked out and he is just a natural actor or they did a hundred takes to get that incredibly creepy performance.

On 4/15/2016 at 11:41 PM, Nukester said:
On 4/15/2016 at 11:34 PM, magdalene said:

Our heroes" slaughtering that farm family was chilling. I am not rooting for junkie Ragnar and his brethren to take Paris and kill more Franks.

Me neither. as I've stated, I think Vikings are cowards. No honor, none. I hope the Frank's win. Kind of like a mid evil super bowl. :-)

We've seen both Ragnar and Lagaertha be merciful in their raids (Ragnar to the kid hiding in the house he and others were searching -- he told her/him to stay hidden), and Lagaertha helping the woman who was being raped.  But of course they both were just fine with the religious sacrifices and don't mind the odd cold blooded murder.

I did find it too drama over reality to believe that Torva wouldn't have just told Bjorn about a) the blackmail regarding her kid; and b) the fact that her ex was standing there while they made love, LITERALLY trying to murder Bjorn.  Slipped her mind?

But that post-miscarriage scene, awww...

• Love 1