Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

From what I've picked up from the trailers that have aired, it looks as if (unlike the S1 crew) the first day or 2 are dry, although we do hear someone complaining about not being able to start a fire. Sounds familiar.

Anyone think we'll have another <24 hours tapout like Josh? (I was looking at S1E1 the other day, and Josh was visibly shaking from the moment he stepped on the ground at his site. He definitely needed a little thought bubble over his head saying "WTF have I gotten myself into?")

I think whether or not there is a first night tapout depends on whether or not someone who is really scared of the local widlife, has a close encounter with it on Day 1. The first day is too soon for hunger or thirst or isolation to be a major factor, so I'd be very surprised if anyone quit after the first night except for a bear, wolf, or cougar getting too close. The wildlife, or maybe a really cold night with no fire are the only reasons I could see causing someone to leave so early.

Josh had worse luck than most of the others in that his camp seemed like it was next to a den site for a bear with cubs, and it was fear of that bear that did him in. Not that it excuses calling for a rescue the next morning of course...I think someone like Alan, Sam, Mitch, or Lucas in that camp site instead would've have remained calm and just moved their camp farther away from the bear's den after the sun came up.

Edited by Scaeva
  • Love 2

I too was a little surprised at Jose's old school choice of a sleeping bag..  I don't know much about survival but i do remember the phrase "cotton kills" for it's apparent inability to insulate when wet and how it holds moisture.  But Jose seems pretty savvy-- so he may have a point with being able to dry it out.  (but then again--it may need more drying out than a modern bag will! )  

I thought some of the pot choices looked thin and tinny and weren't the best for cooking on an open fire.  I liked the cast iron and would have thought it a 'must have.' for it's durability at least.

Larry (the one with with red beard who shaved it, and wanted to be a native american as a kid) I think got the worst location.  I looked for sun during the drop-offs and most looked like it could get sun when it was out.  Larry"s cove was narrow and dark.  He also had a big " Oh S**T moment when they took off. (Josh reference)   but then again they probably all thought it.. just didn't say it.

• Love 1

I think whether or not there is a first night tapout depends on whether or not someone who is really scared of the local widlife, has a close encounter with it on Day 1. The first day is too soon for hunger or thirst or isolation to be a major factor, so I'd be very surprised if anyone quit after the first night except for a bear, wolf, or cougar getting too close. The wildlife, or maybe a really cold night with no fire are the only reasons I could see causing someone to leave so early.

Josh had worse luck than most of the others in that his camp seemed like it was next to a den site for a bear with cubs, and it was fear of that bear that did him in. Not that it excuses calling for a rescue the next morning of course...I think someone like Alan, Sam, Mitch, or Lucas in that camp site instead would've have remained calm and just moved their camp farther away from the bear's den after the sun came up.

I'm on the fence about their reaction to the bears.  Moving camp would definitely be a good first option, especially if I had spent all that time preparing, and knowing that having bears around is probably more the rule than the exception going into it.

I've camped where there are bears around--in campgrounds out west.  But these are what I've heard people refer to as "garbage bears".  and my impression is that they are used to people around and are more gun-shy of them. They are more attuned finding 'people food ' rather than people AS food.  Wild bears don't have that luxury or acclimation so...  I may have lost it and tapped.  i KNOW I would have tapped with the cougar,  

I don't know if the wolves would have scared me off. I've heard little of wolf packs attacking humans.  We have coyotes howling in the woods behind my house. They never seem to bother anyone or even my tasty, chubby old cat.  Don't know if they act the same as wolves. 

• Love 1

From what I understand, garbage-bears are actually more dangerous than non-human-food-habituated bears, because they don't fear people but rather see them (and perhaps more importantly smell them) as a source of food.

From what I know, there's been exactly one documented case of a human being killed in North America by non-human-food-habituated wild wolves.  I'd much rather camp around wolves than bears.

There have been more attacks by cougars, though they mostly go for kids and can be intimidated by adults.

• Love 3

From what I understand, garbage-bears are actually more dangerous than non-human-food-habituated bears, because they don't fear people but rather see them (and perhaps more importantly smell them) as a source of food.

From what I know, there's been exactly one documented case of a human being killed in North America by non-human-food-habituated wild wolves.  I'd much rather camp around wolves than bears.

There have been more attacks by cougars, though they mostly go for kids and can be intimidated by adults.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Wolf attacks against humans are extremely rare. A quick Google search shows last Vancouver Island wolf attack on human was 2007 when a starving wolf attacked a kayaker (wolf which should have weighed 40 kilos weighed only 25 kilos). While a dog may help make noise and chase off some predators, wolves view dogs as meals. A human with a dog seems to be in more danger from a wolf attack than a human alone. Cougar attacks against on Vancouver Island average about 1 a year, usually against children. My guess would be there are more problem with bears than other predators, because they're more apt to learn to scavenge food. Last year Josh was put in bad spot with momma bear and two cubs on the same beach. The good thing is that on the island they'll be dealing with black bears, much smaller and less likely to attack than grizzlies.

Really, the key is not to attract any critters with food smells, keeping your camp clean. Clean any fish or game away from camp, and if possible do your cooking and eating away from where you're sleeping. And, if you're lucky enough to have food, don't store it where you sleep.

• Love 1

$500,000 is what the winner gets. No second place prize. Or third. Or fourth. And so on.

Well, that didn't take long for the military guy to be the first one to go. He was freaking out over bear poo, not that he'd actually seen one. When it says at the beginning of the show "These are trained suvival experts"... or whatever it is, did they put this guy in as the ringer to quit first?

And all those delicious little shellfish that Tracy couldn't touch. Damn.... that sucks! I hope she hangs in there because I want to hear her story. And I think she was the only one to get a fire going. She really seems to know what she's doing.

I think Mary Kate is boring as hell. Her and her fucking boots.

What happened to the guy who shaved his beard? He was looking for a good spot for shelter then he just sort of disappeared. Did he sleep OK? And son, that ain't firewood. That's kindling, at best.

I wonder if Alan is sitting at home laughing at some of this.

• Love 3

Seriously, so predicted that someone would tap in under a day (really I did-check the thread! ;)) Some of the military/cop guys are just not prepared for this, very different training. Desmond's language is practically identical to the first tap last season. So not surprised, at all. Kind of thrilled that Tracy had fire on day one. I am finding her really interesting and her commentary about the process is reminding me of Alan a little.

Really surprised about Larry. Shut the hell up. He is such a Negative Nelly.  He is trying to be too perfect and he will have Lucas style melt downs if he doesn't let go of all that. Still loving Mary Kate and cannot wait to see what Jose is up to. Nervous about how they keep focusing on Mary Kate and Tracy, hope they don't tap too soon. Mary Kate's perseveration over being wet is going to be her downfall. 

• Love 2

Well damn it Desmond! Way to represent the hood. Did he even venture 2 feet into the woods? Did he try to find a site away from the bear trail? That kind of sucks for whoever the 11th participant was that didn't make the cut off and might have actually given the woods a shot.

Not me, but somebody.

Tracy not being able to eat the mussels made me think of Henry Beemus breaking his glasses after finding the library. Such a pity.

• Love 7

Do we know when this was filmed? Surely it was when the first season was airing? Because these people didn't know what they were getting into.

Wasn't surprised about Desmond, but I was sad about it. I don't take pleasure in their fear.

I'm not terribly worried about Tracey, Mary Kate, and Larry yet, even though two of them are doing a lot of bitching. If they stay long enough to get their feet under them and get comfortable, any one of them could have the skillset to stay for a while.

Anyway, WELCOME BACK, SHOW! I MISSED YOU!!

• Love 2

Well damn it Desmond! Way to represent the hood. Did he even venture 2 feet into the woods? Did he try to find a site away from the bear trail? That kind of sucks for whoever the 11th participant was that didn't make the cut off and might have actually given the woods a shot.

Not me, but somebody.

Tracy not being able to eat the mussels made me think of Henry Beemus breaking his glasses after finding the library. Such a pity.

Turned me off about Desmond. Well, TV shows need to prove that white men rule, so it was predictable.

I'm not watching this season.

• Love 2
(edited)
Anyway, WELCOME BACK, SHOW! I MISSED YOU!!

x1000

I didn't think it would be possible, but Desmond just made Josh look good (relatively speaking). Josh at least made it through 1 night, Desmond didn't make it 8 hours. It was pretty obvious he would tap out quickly, he got a lot of camera time, just like Josh in the first episode last season. It doesn't say much for their selection process if they have a second season where someone taps out in less than 24 hours. I wonder if Desmond was unlucky enough to get Josh's area.

Do we know when this was filmed? Surely it was when the first season was airing? Because these people didn't know what they were getting into.

These people DID know what they were getting in to, although I agree they're acting like it's all a big surprise. They wouldn't have had 3500 applicants for the second season if the first season hadn't aired yet. Timing-wise, the first season was filmed beginning in late September of 2014, and aired June-August of last year, The second season started filming in September 2015, so even if the selection was done in advance of the first season airing, they would certainly have been able to watch the first season.

I wish we had seen Tracy make a fire the first day, she gets kudos for that, and looks like a keeper. I'm assuming she just didn't film it. 

Mary Kate looked good last week in the Making the Cut episode, but I seriously thought she would tap out on Day 2, after getting not only her boots but her down sleeping bag wet.

I also wish we had seen at least bits from all 10 contestants rather than just 5. Since they go in chronological order (i.e., it's already Day 3 for everyone), we may not get any of the other 5's first days. I want to see Jose!

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

Turned me off about Desmond. Well, TV shows need to prove that white men rule, so it was predictable.

He wasn't voted off, or told to leave by producers. He chose to leave on his own. 

• Love 12

Seriously?  Stupid bear bragging before the fact, basic military background, boyscout  camping whatever, scant desert experience and downright chickenshitedness were the factors, not race.  

Followers of the show tagged him as the early tap out favorite for good reason.  Also not race.

Red tide is a game changer for many.  :-(

Why, oh why would any of these people be taken aback by anything getting WET?

Looks like a good season ahead.

• Love 7

African-Americans aren't exactly known for being outdoorsy so I was really hoping Desmond would buck that trend and prove everyone wrong... Now I'm not sure if he'd ever even been in the woods prior to filming. Wow. How many times did he use the word "eerie?" Not a word I've ever used to describe the woods. 

When I was in high school I was part of a community youth program. One weekend we took a group of disadvantaged kids camping at a local campground. Every one of those kids thought they were going to get eaten by an alligator. All Day. All night. All they talked about was getting eaten by an alligator. Desmond's mindset reminded me of those kids. 

I also wish we had seen at least bits from all 10 contestants rather than just 5. Since they go in chronological order (i.e., it's already Day 3 for everyone), we may not get any of the other 5's first days. I want to see Jose!

I'm gonna bet next week we get the other 6 participants starting from day 1. Makes more sense instead of trying to cram 10 different people into 44 minutes. 

At first i liked the fact that they only showed a few of the contestants, but then I read what was said above about how they go from day to day.. (sorry I lost my post where I quoted,etc.  A new windows 10 and it's apparently possessed)  Anyway, disappointed I won't see the others' first days.

Tracy had a gorgeous fire and at least we were spared any whining..  but she seemed pretty relaxed about everything.  A pretty spiffy shelter for first night too.

Desmond"s waterfall was obviously a bear magnet.  I know they love them during the salmon spawn (not sure when that is) but he definitely needed to move.  I cant blame him though ---  it's not like they told them that there would be Real bears there, so naturally it was a big shock and a deal breaker! 

Mary Kate and Larry!   Gawd what a couple of whiners.  "This is hard"  "Oh no my stuff is wet"   Again I say mary kate..you brought Down to a rainforest!!  What were you thinking?  And I guess you assumed you would never get your boots wet.?.  Gurl..you got some challenges ahead if that threw you.   My guess is you will be wet and cold the entire 5 days that you last there.  Tracy also has a down sleeping bag... I dunno.

And Larry ready to write a bad review to tripadvisor for his poor terrain.   This challenge attracts dreamers.  I know that I can't help but imagine that I would be like that man on that PBS special from the 60's-- I forget his name-- building my own cozy cabin with a dutch door, having little birds eating out of my hand, honing all my utensils and lovely wooden bowls, a stone fireplace..Yeah  I'm a female who has never held an axe but!  I'm sure it would all fall into place once I got there.  (sure).  They really have some high expectations for themselves.

And call me cold, but I was annoyed that we had to revisit their families..  I guess we'll have to go thru it with the rest of the contestants, but I hope that's it.

Edited to remove double post. (damn computer is possessed)

Edited by seasick
  • Love 6

Well, first episode is over and I got a few answers to some things. First to tap out was the one who talked the most about how he wasn't afraid of any big bad bears. Unless I missed it, Desmond never actually saw a bear, just heard "something" and found scat. Guess he won't be going home either a bear skin coat.

I guess the we learned the answer about the wisdom of down sleeping bags - or at least Mary Kate's choice. I still wonder how water resistant those big dollar bags are that claim to be water resistant. Jose's canvas&flannel bag is looking better all the time.

Tracy is doing much better than I expected. I had her pegged as an early drop, but watching her tonight I'm reconsidering. Of the people they showed, I think she was one of, if not the best.

That red tide could really change the game, as has already been mentioned a couple times by others. I wonder what else has been deemed unsafe - I know sometimes it can affect fish as well as shellfish. I'm also wondering if there's any effect on seaweed. If that's the case, pretty much everything last year's group ate would be off the table.

I was really surprised we didn't see anyone put down something for bedding to get their bed off the ground. Putting a good bed of ferns down, and covering it with a tarp would go a long way towards giving them a dry bed.

Oh well, looking forward to next week and seeing how the rest did on their first day. Poor Larry seems to have drawn a terrible spot - he'd probably love to take over Desmond's. He may be next to go from tonight's group.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

It was recruited and filmed after Season 1 aired, so this group had some ability to learn from what the others experienced. Even for the experienced, thinking that you can do it and doing it, can be vastly different things. The ability to tap out changes everything though. If these people were really stuck in the forest, and could not go anywhere, you would have no choice but to stay and survive or not. 

• Love 2

I didn't think it would be possible, but Desmond just made Josh look good (relatively speaking). Josh at least made it through 1 night, Desmond didn't make it 8 hours. It was pretty obvious he would tap out quickly, he got a lot of camera time, just like Josh in the first episode last season. It doesn't say much for their selection process if they have a second season where someone taps out in less than 24 hours. I wonder if Desmond was unlucky enough to get Josh's area.

I thought Josh tapped out sooner (like within 2 hours), but I must be mis-remembering. I remember that Josh became instantly terrified the minute he got off the boat/plane. You could see that he practically tapped out (i.e., gave up) instantly. When Desmond starting talking about the loss of motivation to stay, I knew he already mentally checked out and it was over. Plus, they focused on him so much, that it was somewhat telegraphed as well.

Obviously, if they make it onto the show, they have  a skill set, and I personally don't think it was a set-up to make Desmond a bad person or to inflame negative stereotypes. They were shown having to pass skills tests, because the group on the pre-show, were more than the ones who made it on. They also eliminated people from that group. Is it possible that they pick a variety of skill levels, sure. But these people applied and they decide when to quit. The assignment of spots is a random draw according to the pre-show episode. Some of us, (from last year) pegged Sam as an early tap only because of his age. That didn't happen. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. Still want to see Jose. He is my pick for the win. 

• Love 2

I am shocked that someone tapped out so early. I am shocked because I would have thought that they did a better job picking people.

Desmond was from Arizona, dessert, and seemed to serve his entire military career in the desert. He was in no way prepared to live in a forest, never mind a rain forest, never mind a really, really thick rain forest. Just like the Army Survival trainer from last year, he was never going to be comfortable in that environment. They were both used to the desert.

He was dropped in an area with lots of bears. There was a good amount of fresh scat and fresh prints. I can understand his being freaked out. A totally new environment and active bears would freak me out as well. I really think the producers need to stop casting folks who do not have a good amount of experience in the woods specifically. Cast desert experienced folks in a desert version of the show, which would also be interesting to watch, but don't expect them to do well in the rain forest.

• Love 2
African-Americans aren't exactly known for being outdoorsy so I was really hoping Desmond would buck that trend and prove everyone wrong... Now I'm not sure if he'd ever even been in the woods prior to filming. Wow. How many times did he use the word "eerie?" Not a word I've ever used to describe the woods.

That's like saying, "black people can't swim because their bones are heavier."

Here's my feeling:  TV producers do care about ratings, but to me, they also care about reinforcing certain beliefs and stereotypes like, all black women are fat, black people don't camp/ski/swim/black women ALWAYS worry about their hair/black women wear weaves, etc.  Then when they show those things on TV, it just reinforces these stereotype.  It's not that these things may not be true on their own, but it's not the whole story, the whole story doesn't get told, and that's the problem. 

Discovery had a show years ago called "The Alaska Experiment."  The first season on that show they had people live in shelters and get ready for the winter.  They had a married couple, a couple who were dating, a father and his daughters and three friends; the friends were all POC, and one of them was a black man who did very well in that environment, he was from California and said that he liked to go camping often.  The second season of that show, what did they do?  The got a fiftysomething year old black man who had never been out of Detroit.  Naturally, he tapped out early.  So I wondered, "couldn't they have found a more competent black person?"  That's what I wonder about this show, and I call bullshit on this being the most competent black person they could find. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'll wait to see what happens with the 3 women they cast.

Came across this when I was looking to see if there was any other reaction to Desmond:

http://deadline.com/2016/04/alone-survival-series-renewed-season-3-history-1201740907/

Ahead of its Season 2 premiere tomorrow night, History has ordered a third season of its hit survival series Alone.

Additionally, the series will move from Vancouver Island to South America.

Alone places ten hardcore survivalists alone in the wilderness and the contestants have one mission: to stay alive. There are no camera crews, no teams, and no gimmicks. At stake is a $500,000 cash prize awarded to the person who can last the longest. Filming begins in Patagonia, South America next month.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

Tracey was hiking the Appalachian Trail in one of the intro segments. I don't know if she made it all the way but it is 2100 miles of just hiking everyday in all kinds of weather. It goes from Georgia to Maine and usually takes an average of 6 months to complete. You carry everything on your back for 2100 miles. She has impressed me.

• Love 3

Well, first episode is over and I got a few answers to some things. First to tap out was the one who talked the most about how he wasn't afraid any any big bad bears. Unless I missed it, Desmond never actually saw a bear, just heard "something" and found scat. Guess he won'the be going home either a bear skin coat.

I guess the we learned the answer about the wisdom of down sleeping bags - or at least Mary Kate's choice. I still wonder how water resistant those big dollar bags are that claim to be water resistant. Jose's canvas&flannel bag is looking better all the time.

Tracy is doing much better than I expected. I had her pegged as an early drop, but watching her tonight I'm reconsidering. Of the people they showed, I think she was one of, if not the best.

That red tide could really change the game, as has already been mentioned a couple times by others. I wonder what else has been deemed unsafe - I know sometimes it can affect fish as well as shellfish. I'm also wondering if there's any effect on seaweed. If that's the case, pretty much everything last year's group ate would be off the table.

I was really surprised we didn't see anyone put down something for bedding to get their bed off the ground. Putting a good bed of ferns down, and covering it with a tarp would go a long way towards giving them a dry bed.

Oh well, looking forward to next week and seeing how the rest did on their first day. Poor Larry seems to have drawn a terrible spot - he'd probably love to take over Desmond's. He may be next to go from tonight's group.

Tracy said in her intro that she was currently living on the Appalachian Trail,, so at least her basic camping skills are current and tried and true. Her little shelter looked very AT to me. I'm sure you learn alot from others out there. I still think her quest for hope and peace is not a good goal to find in dreary, lonely, PNW.. But she was a breath of fresh air last night for sure.

The red tide thing is such a downer for the show. It's fun to see them scavenge shellfish. Maybe that's why they were allowed food rations this season.

The bedding--I hadn't thought about it's usefulness in keeping you dry, but yeah, getting off the ground a few inches would keep the rain from pooling/running onto your tarp or sleeping bag.  Apparently it was a warm day..at least where Mary-Kate was, because she mentioned she didn't think she'd have to bother with fire (until the boot tragedy)  but I don't know what she planned to do for water without fire.and it does serve as protection.  I get frustrated with the Naked and Afraid people too for not making fire a priority.  She had the luxury of a dry sunny day, at least when she got there to start a fire.  i don't think she ever did make fire that night. 

I just saw the coming attractions that were shown in the beginning of the episode and it looks like Randy (black beard) may have lost his ferro rod too.  he was one of my picks for long term.  (but then again,  so was Larry. )  Not looking good...

I still think Jose made a bad choice with canvas and flannel sleeping bag.  I don't think you can do much to deter mold on most surfaces,  but It sounds like a mold magnet.  

• Love 1

In the first episode on the Island:

No poets, no philosophers have stepped forward.

No songwriters, no stringed instrument makers, no canoe or yurt builders yet.

For our viewing pleasure:

one wet boot obsessed/water phobic participant

one super pissed and cussing contestant

Neither made compelling TV

Desmond's last straw was stepping in the poo.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

I kinda figured Desmond was a short timer, due to all his experience seemingly to be in desert areas.  That just doesn't prepare you at all for dense, wet forests.  And yes, it CAN be very eerie when you're alone in the woods, which is one reason I don't do it a lot.  Especially if I know it's an area with an active predator population.  I have a LOT of respect for bears and cougars, though I don't have a lot of experience with wolves.  And Desmond saw a LOT of bear scat.  Fresh scat.  Ugh.  Me, I'd be trying to find a niche on a cliff face to sleep on, hoping that put me off the menu for the night at least.

Tracy seems to be the real deal.  I hope she makes it far.  I have hopes for the Alaskans as well, as they should do okay in wet, cold conditions.  If Mary Kate can stop whining about her down sleeping bag (such a bad choice!) being wet.

• Love 3

I kinda figured Desmond was a short timer, due to all his experience seemingly to be in desert areas.  That just doesn't prepare you at all for dense, wet forests.  And yes, it CAN be very eerie when you're alone in the woods, which is one reason I don't do it a lot.  Especially if I know it's an area with an active predator population.  I have a LOT of respect for bears and cougars, though I don't have a lot of experience with wolves.  And Desmond saw a LOT of bear scat.  Fresh scat.  Ugh.  Me, I'd be trying to find a niche on a cliff face to sleep on, hoping that put me off the menu for the night at least.

Tracy seems to be the real deal.  I hope she makes it far.  I have hopes for the Alaskans as well, as they should do okay in wet, cold conditions.  If Mary Kate can stop whining about her down sleeping bag (such a bad choice!) being wet.

Ah, location and timing are everything. Sounds like Desmond is one season too early, Patagonia may be a much better spot for the Arizona dude. Also, if it's true they're moving south, there may actually be a use for the archery and slingshot equipment. Course, from what I've read, Patagonia has quite a variety of terrains and climate, everything from very wet, to damp, to very dry, with some areas very cold with snow possible year round, desert landscape to forest to pampas. If they end up there, I hope there try to give as close to equivalent resources as possible.
  • Love 1

Course, from what I've read, Patagonia has quite a variety of terrains and climate, everything from very wet, to damp, to very dry, with some areas very cold with snow possible year round, desert landscape to forest to pampas. If they end up there, I hope there try to give as close to equivalent resources as possible.

When I read Patagonia, I squeed. That's my second favorite place in the world... right after Vancouver Island. I swear this show was created just for me.

• Love 6

Desmond set a new record for fastest tap-out, I think. Larry is probably next, what a puss that guy is. "I had to climb a hill! I built my shelter in a stupid location! WAAAH!" STFU and haul your ass up that hill like a man. Or like a Tracy, who is a true badass. She looked calm as hell sitting there with her bear horn, LOL. I also am super impressed that she had a raging fire going in the pouring rain, and would have liked to see how she got it.

I really like Mary Kate, but when she was whining about how long it would take her down sleeping bag to dry, I was like "why the hell did you bring it, then?" I swear, some of these people didn't bother to watch last season. They should at least know the area is fucking wet. Just get used to being wet, constantly. That is your reality, folks. 

• Love 5

Welcome back to Vancouver Island :)

Many have survival experience but can they take this AlOnE with bears, cougars or wolves.

This is also a mental challenge.

I hope Jose (from Spain but lives in Yukon) lasts longer than the 2 Canucks (who only lasted 4 days on s1)

• Love 2

I thought Josh tapped out sooner (like within 2 hours), but I must be mis-remembering. I remember that Josh became instantly terrified the minute he got off the boat/plane. You could see that he practically tapped out (i.e., gave up) instantly. When Desmond starting talking about the loss of motivation to stay, I knew he already mentally checked out and it was over. Plus, they focused on him so much, that it was somewhat telegraphed as well.

While Josh acted terrified as soon as he saw bear tracks as he hit the beach, he actually spent the night. I'm actually much more sympathetic to Josh. You always hear about how dangerous a mama bear is when she has cubs. Josh comes ashore and finds mama bear and two cubs. Then Josh had mama and two cubs caught on his game camera sniffing his shelter the first night. He was freaked out when he was dropped off, and the bears just gave him an excuse to tap out.

I was actually kind of surprised by Desmond. I thought his site looked good, just outside his Arizona comfort zone. He talked about how eerie and thick the forrest was, but that wasn't shown in his camera shots. There are pine forests in Arizona, but he was freaked by the rainforest. Looked to me like his area was fairly open compared to the others, it seemed to have a good water, and while he saw lots of bear sign, that shouldn't have been a big shock. We never saw him threatened by a bear, who were obviously in the area as expected. Seems to me finding bear sign, but not actually seeing the bear, would be a good thing. It shows the bear is finding food in the area, and at least so far, is avoiding the new neighbor. If he was that worried by bears, why didn't we see him break out the air horn and bear spray everyone was given. Instead, when he saw scat and heard something he said "I gotta get out of here!" and took off through the woods. Obviously he broke into the gear to get the camera, so why not stick the horn and spray somewhere easy to get at. (And, yes, that could just be the way it was edited.)

I think Tracy showed how to react. She had her fire going to deter animals approaching camp, and when she heard something nearby she was ready to give a blast on the air horn which everyone was given as a safety precaution. Actually, giving a blast could be a good move in the game. Not only would you encourage the bear to take a hike, you worry any other contestants within earshot.

But these people applied and they decide when to quit. The assignment of spots is a random draw according to the pre-show episode. Some of us, (from last year) pegged Sam as an early tap only because of his age. That didn't happen. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. Still want to see Jose. He is my pick for the win.

Sam did much better than I thought he would, but I thought the fact he had left a pregnant wife at home would be the big mental issue for him. Having been on several long deployments while in the Army, I know how hard it is when soldiers feel they're should be home with their families, be it for a sickness, pregnancy, or just to be home watching a toddler grow and take their first steps. That's actually why I question how long Mary Kate will last. She could push through to, as she said, give an example for her two daughters - or she could tap out and go home to be with them. Personally, I would find it easy to understand tapping out because she misses her family, and it would have nothing to do with her being a woman. Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

When I read Patagonia, I squeed. That's my second favorite place in the world... right after Vancouver Island. I swear this show was created just for me.

Rainsmom you're cracking me up.  First, it's very cool that you find these two crazy places at the top of your favorites.    Now "squee-ing". .. Is that a combo of a squeal and a pee??  I do love it.    I think we may see a good deal of  'squee-ing'  this season.  Do you think Mary kate squeed when she jumped off the boat??  

• Love 3

Sam really had a mental edge that wasn't immediately obvious: in the face of adversity, he had an incredibly positive attitude. He was indefatigable. Nothing "got him down" for long. He was like "oh well! Back to the drawing board!" Just an unbelievable attitude for this sort of challenge. Alan had the same thing, and that's why they both lasted so long. It remains to be seen who in this crew has that attitude, but I think Mary Kate at least showed a bit of gumption by briefly being like "I'm fucked," but then just patiently rebuilding her shelter better than before. Larry (whose name I cannot think of without screaming "LARRY!" like on Impractical Jokers) could use more of that mindset.

• Love 5

One thing I can say for Desmond,  he did have some words of wisdom about not letting yourself get frustrated there.   It certainly works against you and mother nature.  

I think Down is a great choice if you are backpacking, because it's so light.  Maybe that's why Tracy has hers--hiking thru the AT.  And Maybe it's waterproof.

I didn't want to cut up SRTouch's post to quote the last lines, but I do want to address his comment about MaryKate and her kids.  (and not just Mary-kate)

I don't have kids so maybe those who do can give me some perspective here.     I mean..Seriously..  you're doing this FOR your kids??   Not just MK-- most say it. 

How much of that is bullshit?   I'm sure as a parent your kids are always on your mind, but It does often strike me as a guilt buffer.  If your kids are off to college or close, or maybe young teens who are all into that stuff..I could buy it more.  

Personally I don't really blame them for answering the call of the wild and fulfilling their own needs for a bit.. but please--especially in MK's case-- I'm calling bullshit on that.   These folks want to go..  the kids will survive.. you however , seriously may not..  I say just call it as it is.  My BS meter runs high on MK more than the others because of the age of her kids.   Maybe if she said "i want my girls to know that you shouldn't let having kids keep you from fulfilling your own goals"  I'd have more respect for her.

• Love 5

I just saw the coming attractions that were shown in the beginning of the episode and it looks like Randy (black beard) may have lost his ferro rod too.  he was one of my picks for long term.  (but then again,  so was Larry. )  Not looking good...

Last week when they showed the homelife, Randy really reminded me of Lucas. Granted the previews are making him out a major whiner/crybaby, but than I thought the same about Lucas in the beginning. Hopefully, when Randy actually gets more than 30 second sound bites he'll redeem himself., but for now, all we see is him about to bust into tears crying about not being able to start
  • Love 2

I've got to stand up a little bit for Mary Kate. I hate wet feet. I especially hate wet feet in wet shoes. Whether I'm coming in from the rain or coming out of the pool, getting my feet dry again is a singular "ahhhhh" moment. She has one pair of boots. One pair. She got let off in water that was over the boot tops. So now she's got wet boots. In a fucking rain forest.  She hasn't said it's enough to send her home, she's just bitched about it.  I'd be whining, too.

I thought the same about Lucas in the beginning...

Ah, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas. I was watching the first episode of S1 and every time I saw Lucas, I smiled. "Lucas!" I thought. "Lucas made that awesome shelter, and the canoe, and the recorder, and the sort-of-a-banjo!"  My goodness, Lucas made all sorts of things. I wish there was some sort of prize for innovation on the show, because he deserved it.

• Love 8

Ohh, Desmond. I wanted to root for you, and then you didn't last til sunset, dude! He reminded me of being left home alone with my cousin as a kid, when we insisted we were too old for a babysitter and NOT AFRAID AT ALL, NO WAY, IT'S FINE. Smash cut to 20 minutes later, three kids crammed in the hall closet clutching an aluminum baseball bat, scared shitless of the murderers we'd convinced ourselves were imminent.

I'm hoping Tracy will go far; mad props to her not only for her comfortable campsite and merrily blazing fire, but for pointing out the "widowmaker" overhead and then shoving a dead tree down with her bare hands. 

And I couldn't help laughing at Larry, emitting a Yosemite Sam-esque string of bleeped curses as he slid endlessly down a cliff face. I could watch that for an hour. Good luck, you poor bastard. 

I love this show so much, and also they do not PRINT enough money to convince me to do this for a hot minute. :) Or a sodden, freezing minute, as the case may be.

• Love 11

Yeah, I don't understand why she didn't get one of the water proof down sleeping nags. They are expensive but if you are going to bring a down sleeping bag, that is the way to go.

She chose the provided sleeping bag. I don't think "waterproof down" was one of the options on the list she got to pick 10 things from.

That's like saying, "black people can't swim because their bones are heavier."

Here's my feeling:  TV producers do care about ratings, but to me, they also care about reinforcing certain beliefs and stereotypes like, all black women are fat, black people don't camp/ski/swim/black women ALWAYS worry about their hair/black women wear weaves, etc.  Then when they show those things on TV, it just reinforces these stereotype.  It's not that these things may not be true on their own, but it's not the whole story, the whole story doesn't get told, and that's the problem. 

Discovery had a show years ago called "The Alaska Experiment."  The first season on that show they had people live in shelters and get ready for the winter.  They had a married couple, a couple who were dating, a father and his daughters and three friends; the friends were all POC, and one of them was a black man who did very well in that environment, he was from California and said that he liked to go camping often.  The second season of that show, what did they do?  The got a fiftysomething year old black man who had never been out of Detroit.  Naturally, he tapped out early.  So I wondered, "couldn't they have found a more competent black person?"  That's what I wonder about this show, and I call bullshit on this being the most competent black person they could find. 

Again, with the race card shite - that has nothing to do with this show or episode.  The secret racist producer cabal chose lame and somewhat inept white men 10 times last season, and white women and men 9 times this season.  News flash - everyone looks grey in the rain.

I've got to stand up a little bit for ary Kate. I hate wet feet. I especially hate wet feet in wet shoes. Whether I'm coming in from the rain or coming out of the pool, getting my feet dry again is a singular "ahhhhh" moment. She has one pair of boots. One pair. She got let off in water that was over the boot tops. So now she's got wet boots. In a fucking rain forest.  She hasn't said it's enough to send her home, she's just bitched about it.  I'd be whining, too.

Ah, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas. I was watching the first episode of S1 and every time I saw Lucas, I smiled. "Lucas!" I thought. "Lucas made that awesome shelter, and the canoe, and the recorder, and the sort-of-a-banjo!"  My goodness, Lucas made all sorts of things. I wish there was some sort of prize for innovation on the show, because he deserved it.

OK -  2 things that  keep you warm : your head and your feet.  Touques & dry socks&boots, y'all.

Water, fire, food.

• Love 6

I mean..Seriously..  you're doing this FOR your kids??   ..........

This happens on Naked & Afraid too.  Frequently parents, claim it is an achievement that will inspire their children.  Another frequent occurrence is when justifying a decision to quit, they site how much they miss their children. 

Not suggesting I have any understanding of the parent/child bond.

• Love 2

I've got to stand up a little bit for Mary Kate. I hate wet feet. I especially hate wet feet in wet shoes. Whether I'm coming in from the rain or coming out of the pool, getting my feet dry again is a singular "ahhhhh" moment. She has one pair of boots. One pair. She got let off in water that was over the boot tops. So now she's got wet boots. In a fucking rain forest.  She hasn't said it's enough to send her home, she's just bitched about it.  I'd be whining, too.

I know what you mean. I grew up in Kern County in the California Central Valley - essentially irrigated desert. I don't enjoy being out in the rain AT ALL. I wear glasses, and really hate looking out through raindrop covered lenses. That said, I know I'm not going to melt, so no sense in doing a chicken little dance. Not that Mary Kate went to far over the top. She was filming when she woke up and discovered her gear was all wet. She knew she had screwed up, pitched a little fit, and the camera stopped. Next thing you saw she working on the new and improved shelter. I don't mind a little "oh shit" moment, she pulled it together and worked to prevent a repeat of the same problem.

These folks may be "wilderness experts" by today's standard, but they would not compare favorably to those who lived 150 or more years ago.

ah, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas. I was watching the first episode of S1 and every time I saw Lucas, I smiled. "Lucas!" I thought. "Lucas made that awesome shelter, and the canoe, and the recorder, and the sort-of-a-banjo!"  My goodness, Lucas made all sorts of things. I wish there was some sort of prize for innovation on the show, because he deserved it.

yeah, only reason Lucas isn't still out there is he ran out of things to create. I've said it before, I think Lucas came closest to truly thriving.
  • Love 3

Yeah, I don't understand why she didn't get one of the water proof down sleeping nags. They are expensive but if you are going to bring a down sleeping bag, that is the way to go.

I could be mistaken but last year  a waterproof sleeping bag was considered 2 things,  I believe one person took it. It was a sleeping bag and a waterproof shell. 

Didnt most of the people they followed in the beginning last year drop out, it was the people we didn't see that lasted, I think maybe those people don't spend a lot of time filming themselves, but rather went about setting up camp first. 

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 2

Again, with the race card shite - that has nothing to do with this show or episode.  The secret racist producer cabal chose lame and somewhat inept white men 10 times last season, and white women and men 9 times this season.  News flash - everyone looks grey in the rain.

Yeah, I'm unsure what the exact argument is: that the show's producers purposely cast this black man, knowing that he would tap out on day 1, because they gleefully thought "yes! This will make ALL black people look bad?" And somehow black people looking bad is a desired effect? *shrug* I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree with you, though, I don't think his race had anything to do with it. More likely the total unfamiliarity with that sort of environment.

• Love 8

She chose the provided sleeping bag. I don't think "waterproof down" was one of the options on the list she got to pick 10 things from.

I got the distinct impression that they all purchased /provided their own 10 items and a sleeping bag seemed to have no set limits.  yes, the Bivvy bag that they can put it in was another item and part of the 10.  Maybe for some reason--possibly weight or durability from constant rolling -- they don't make serious ones with a completely waterproof shell.   

• Love 2