Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

I really like Nicole, but between her MS and her low body fat, I think she's a goner. She just has no resources to fall back on when the calories aren't forthcoming.

My favorite, though, is the guy from the Yukon. I have high hopes from him!

I don't hold much hope for the military people who served in the desert. Vancouver Island is soooooo different!

I enjoyed this episode a lot. It was cool to see all the preparatory steps. I wonder if they had all these steps last year? (Thinking specifically about the week-long testing for the top 20.) 

• Love 4
(edited)
I enjoyed this episode a lot. It was cool to see all the preparatory steps. I wonder if they had all these steps last year? (Thinking specifically about the week-long testing for the top 20.)

Well, I doubt they had a pool of 3500 to pick from last year. In fact, I don't remember if we were ever told exactly how they were picked. I do remember a scene of them in a conference room (probably at the hotel on VI) where they were shown how to work the camera gear.

I enjoyed this episode as well. I liked that we were shown some of the preparatory talks they were given by the Canadian authorities. It answers some of the questions we had last year about whether they had hunting and fishing permits.

Now that I've seen them pack and explain their choices, it makes SO much more sense how we get all the variations in items like sleeping bags and pots. They are apparently given a list of 50 items described generically but within certain specifications and they provide their own stuff.  I had always pictured some supply room that only had approved items where they walked in and got their 10 things, but it never jived with what we saw on the show.  

I liked Mary Kate, Nicole, Jose and a couple of the guys whose names I don't know yet. All the early ones looked really promising, but then toward the end there were a couple that I could see tapping out early. Tracy, the 3rd woman (who I originally didn't realize from her picture WAS a woman) is either going to really surprise me or go quickly. It sounds like she's got some genuine experience, but other than seeing her handle a knife we weren't actually shown anything, not even any flashback pictures. And I don't see how a woman carrying all that weight can be in shape.  The guy who was a missionary in Brazil, I'm wondering what the backstory is there. Doesn't it seem like he's hiding something? He's quick to point out he's no longer a missionary, he has 3 mostly grown children, and he's not married and doesn't have a girlfriend. Is he widowed or - gasp! - divorced? He's got 3 kids so he must have been friendly with a girl at some point.  And why not just say so? It's not like we're judgmental or anything........

I liked that they had Alan for the narrator, although I was surprised at how stiff his presentation was. He needs lessons from Mike Rowe or somebody.

Lastly, can I just say that that Heinz ketchup commercial with the wiener dogs is probably the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

Oh my oh my oh my! I loved that we got a getting to know them, getting to know the process show! I'm already fangirling a bit over the whole thing! I have some possible early favorites, but I want to see their reaction to being dropped off & their first few days before I truly pick. It's nice that we know the... players? contestants? (what should they be called?) a little before the first episode! I'm so excited this is back! I so hope the magic is back too!

ETA: In hindsight, it's entirely possible I have overused exclamation marks in the above post due to my excitement. However, I am excited!!!!!

Edited by ramble
  • Love 5

Was this just on the American history channel? I couldn't find it listed on the Canadian one.

I've found that US cable reality shows (like "Alone" and "Deadliest catch") tend to run a week later in Canada, so it may well be on next week. It may also be on a different night.

Wonder if the week long testing for the top 20 will result in more participants lasting longer than last season.

Interested in watching how the people who rely on firearms at home do in the wild this season.

• Love 2

I also liked the Yukon guy. I have a feeling that he will go far. There was another guy that I liked as well, but I cannot remember his name. I didn't realize that one woman has MS, I am surprised that they let her do it. It could be a factor. I agree that the military guys who have spent lots of time in the desert may not be as prepared as they think. That was Brant's (I think that was his name-the guy who hallucinated after trying to filter water through moss) MO last season. He did not do too well. I still say that someone will tap within 24-48 hours. 

• Love 2

Tracy's weight may actually be her biggest asset, since she will not *need* calories as much as some of the others. I don't have much hope for her though, only because her law enforcement background isn't exactly primitive survival. We saw some of the similar "gun folks" go down fast last year. 

Nicole is an early favorite for me, but she seems rather social for something like this. I liked how Desmond was excited to be by himself and he has a strong fishing background. 

• Love 2

Tracy's weight may actually be her biggest asset, since she will not *need* calories as much as some of the others.

Yeah, I was going to post something similar, but I decided not to go there. And while the skinny women may not have as much body fat, maybe their bodies are trained to be lean and mean and not need as many daily calories as the larger men.

I still say that someone will tap within 24-48 hours. 

Interesting fact: History is listing this as a 13 episode season, which means that there cannot be a tap out in every show. That being said, the previews we already seen indicate that some of the new contestants are finding this reality show a little more real than they expected. "Hey, bear." Good times.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the intro. Hearing the reasoning behind some of the gear choices cleared up some of my questions. When I first read the Justin's list on the bio page, I couldn't figure it out - no fishing gear, only cordage a climbing rope, and taking a hammock? Now, after listening to reason for the hammock, it's "wow, why didn't I think of that." Meeting the various contestants was interesting. Randy really reminds me of Lucas and Mitch from season 1, the two guys who I think came closest to actually "thriving" in the woods. Watching the intros, this group seem be better suited to the challenge than last season. 'Course that could just be because we didn't meet last year's group until they hit the beach. Hopefully the bear clips were edited for dramatic effect - otherwise poor Desmond may be this season's Josh, gone on day one. Nicole was my early favorite from the bios, and the clip her site looked pretty good. Like someone else already mentioned, I'm hoping her MS is a non-factor. The dude (Larry?) who shaved his beard threw me for a second and had me wondering who the new guy was. Without a doubt, some of the gear was chosen based on watching last season - I mean the one guy did everything but call out Joe's name when he pointed out the orange fob on his fire starter, "look how easy it will be to find if I drop it!"

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

Yeah, I was going to post something similar, but I decided not to go there.

Oh, I hope it wasn't offensive, what I said. I meant it in a good way, like how on Naked and Afraid they are smart to gain some weight before they go. I know if I were going into this situation, I'd want to have plenty of cushion in case food is hard to come by.

• Love 3

Then there's the dude who's coming back 20 pounds heavier in a bearskin coat ...

He's my pick for first tap out actually.

Just watching the re-run of Season One they are showing today. Fell in love all over again with Mitch and his family. His little daughter was so cute. Her calling him "lovely' just stole my heart. Here''s hoping that they give us an update on the contestants who made it past day 1 or 2 sometime this new season. And NOT the guy from Florida (who was inexplicably,was on the finale show?!?! and who tapped out 2nd!). But the ones who went the longest, top 5/top 3. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Speaking of Season 1, did they always have that weird background music? A lot of different percussive sounds like a drum beating, strings plinking, etc., stuff that I assume is meant to amp up the drama quotient. I honestly don't recall that in the original airing (I remember poster comments on how "quiet" the show was) and I find it so annoying that it makes the show almost unwatchable for me. I may have to turn on the close-captioning and mute the sound if S2 is like that.

ETA: I have doubts about the guy who left for what could be up to 1 year when apparently he's in the middle of divorce proceedings.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Speaking of Season 1, did they always have that weird background music? A lot of different percussive sounds like a drum beating, strings plinking, etc., stuff that I assume is meant to amp up the drama quotient. I honestly don't recall that in the original airing (I remember poster comments on how "quiet" the show was) and I find it so annoying that it makes the show almost unwatchable for me. I may have to turn on the close-captioning and mute the sound if S2 is like that.

ETA: I have doubts about the guy who left for what could be up to 1 year when apparently he's in the middle of divorce proceedings.

Yeah, I agree about divorce guy too. The military guys who are real arrogant about their skills, never do too well. I just re-watched the intro show and the two guys (divorce and another one) who talked extensively about having all these psychological things that are going to come up, I think are already in trouble. I like Jose (Yukon guy) Mary-Kate, and Larry (the guy who wanted to be a "native american" when he was a kid. hee).

I never found the music or noise problematic, but I have some hearing loss, so it is not very loud to me anyway. 

• Love 2

Tracy, the 3rd woman (who I originally didn't realize from her picture WAS a woman) is either going to really surprise me or go quickly. It sounds like she's got some genuine experience, but other than seeing her handle a knife we weren't actually shown anything, not even any flashback pictures. 

I'm not saying this to be mean or rude, but did anyone else get a trans vibe from Tracy? She kept making allusions to her past struggles and things she has to deal with, but unlike the tragic backstories of other participants we weren't given any details. Also no flashback pictures to when she was in the military and law enforcement. Every time I would hear her VO I thought a man was talking. 

Edited by LAgator77
  • Love 5

I'm not saying this to be mean or rude, but did anyone else get a trans vibe from Tracy? She kept making allusions to her past struggles and things she has to deal with, but unlike the tragic backstories of other participants we weren't given any details. Also no flashback pictures to when she was in the military and law enforcement. Every time I would hear her VO I thought a man was talking. 

Yeah, I did. I thought that was going to be her back story as well. I think that it would be a major step forward if they never discuss it though. Regarding her weight, being overweight makes everything harder and you will still be hungry, just like anyone else. It doesn't make the fat into energy conversion any easier. It may keep your muscles from wasting as quickly, but there are still negatives that can occur, (i.e., sagging skin from rapid weight loss & you will use some muscle in the conversion process as well). I wish her luck, it is not going to easy for any of them. I was curious about Nicole (I think that is her name), I hope that she doesn't think that she can wear skirts all the time. Not sure that is the best idea, but maybe it has advantages that I am not aware of?

No doubt, her picture and voice raised questions in my mind. And it didn't help much when I first checked the her bio page. The bio paragraph used feminine pronouns, but then on the list of gear they listed "HIS" selections. I went back today and found they had changed "HIS" to "HER"

Speaking of what I found just now on the ALONE page at HISTORY.COM, they've added a couple pages. Most interesting to me, under the gear list heading http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items

is a list of gear everyone is given which does not count against the 10 items. Then we see the list of items they made their 10 choices from, as well as a list of items which were prohibited.

As always, I still have a couple questions. As I was reading the list under TRACKING/SAFETY a couple items jumped out at me. First, like last time, everyone is given a couple tarps (10x10 tarp to protect camera gear and a BIG 20x20 tarp, which I guess can be used however they want).

A couple of the items are pretty vague. Emergency ration/water pack could mean anything from a liter bottle of water and granola bar to 5 gallon jug and case of MRE's. Then they say military type first aide kit - wow that tells us a lot. There's the individual first aid case every soldier wears that has 1 field aid dressing, then there's kits that have everything needed for minor surgery, up to and including IVs and morphine. The real question: what are the rules for using what's in the kit. They tell us there's alcohol, which I'm sure is isopropyl not drinking alcohol. Give me that old can I found on the beach and a little isopropyl, and I give you an alcohol stove.

Oh well I guess I'll have to read the rules and regulations booklet they give everyone to see what I can use. Hmmm rules and regulations booklet, I wonder if I can use that for kindling - or toilet paper

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3

I'm not saying this to be mean or rude, but did anyone else get a trans vibe from Tracy?

Yeah, I did. I thought that was going to be her back story as well. I think that it would be a major step forward if they never discuss it though.

It would kind of be neat if they mention it at all, it's in passing, no big deal, has nothing to do with contest, let's see if she caught any fish today. Probably won't happen, but they have done away with some announcer droning in the background with a bunch inane banter, so who knows. Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

Regarding her weight, being overweight makes everything harder and you will still be hungry, just like anyone else. It doesn't make the fat into energy conversion any easier. It may keep your muscles from wasting as quickly, but there are still negatives that can occur, (i.e., sagging skin from rapid weight loss & you will use some muscle in the conversion process as well). I wish her luck, it is not going to easy for any of them.

Being a female (notwithstanding the transgender possibility, which is there, but I am assuming she was assigned female at birth until otherwise told), she will do better at burning fat than a male would. Sam from last season comes to mind as a guy who clearly benefited from having a bit of extra weight, although he was not particularly heavy beforehand. It didn't seem to inhibit him, as if you carry around the weight on your usual adventures you have become somewhat acclimated to it. I really hope that none of them have the issues with lack of food that Sam had, though, because that is brutal. I'm sure all of them, even the super-lean, will lose significant weight out there and/or have other challenges. I really didn't mean for it to come across like I was insulting her in any way. 

Re: Tracy's gender, she definitely has a deep voice but as a fellow female baritone, I don't consider that a red flag in itself. 

• Love 2

It would kind of be neat if they just mention it in passing, no big deal, has nothing to do with contest, let's see if she caught any fish today. Probably won't happen, but they have done away with some announcer droning in the background with a bunch inane banter, so who knows.

Yes, excellent point. One's gender identity has nothing to do with whether or not they will make it in the woods, "Alone". It has nothing to do will tenacity, perserverance, luck, skills, training, nothing. As the preview already showed us, there are several men who are coming into this already gearing up for the emotional upheaval that this experience is likely going to bring up for them. I think that those guys are already at a psychological disadvantage. In other words, if you have psychological "stuff" that is kept at bay by always doing something else, or thinking about something else, or being busy, then the quiet, alone time is likely to be  antithetical to that and the "stuff" will be there, in your face. You cannot get away from it. Alan and Mitch talked about that as well, and Lucas really seemed to go through more of it as we were shown on the show. 

• Love 4

Being a female (notwithstanding the transgender possibility, which is there, but I am assuming she was assigned female at birth until otherwise told), she will do better at burning fat than a male would. Sam from last season comes to mind as a guy who clearly benefited from having a bit of extra weight, although he was not particularly heavy beforehand. It didn't seem to inhibit him, as if you carry around the weight on your usual adventures you have become somewhat acclimated to it. I really hope that none of them have the issues with lack of food that Sam had, though, because that is brutal. I'm sure all of them, even the super-lean, will lose significant weight out there and/or have other challenges. I really didn't mean for it to come across like I was insulting her in any way. 

Not quite. Males burn more fat per hour doing nothing or doing something (as compared to women doing nothing or doing something) because they simply have a higher % of muscle than females pound for pound. Women tend to default to carrying more body fat in preparation for child bearing. 

Not quite. Males burn more fat per hour doing nothing or doing something (as compared to women doing nothing or doing something) because they simply have a higher % of muscle than females pound for pound. Women tend to default to carrying more body fat in preparation for child bearing. 

Yes, but according to exercise physiology, women are able to make the shift to burning primarily fat stores much easier than men. Women are very efficient fat burners because we have so much of it. I don't want to get into a big argument, I was just saying that having some extra weight would probably be beneficial in this situation because of the high likelihood of starvation. 

Yes, but according to exercise physiology, women are able to make the shift to burning primarily fat stores much easier than men. Women are very efficient fat burners because we have so much of it. I don't want to get into a big argument, I was just saying that having some extra weight would probably be beneficial in this situation because of the high likelihood of starvation.   

I am not arguing, it is a good discussion. :)  It is a matter of how the activity is described for either gender, I suppose. If a woman is active it appears that her body is more able to convert and use it's fat stores for energy (glycogen) more easily then males, however, that does not mean that they technically use more, they just do it easier and they use less gylcogen (fuel) already in the muscles (or stored elsewhere) which can then be used by the muscles at the same time while fat burning. (If I am remembering it correctly). I remember that there is actually a conversion rate in which a protein (when someone is now burning protein)  is converted into glycogen and that actually burns more calories too.

I think that this state would support the concept that women tend to be able to go longer at a sub-maximal VO2 max rate because they can convert the fat stores and thereby have the glycogen for the use of their muscles (and to keep going over a longer, slower pace). Men, I think will be much faster burns, more anaerobic and blow out faster, but use a lot more in general. (I am spit-balling here from my ACSM course from a while ago, but I think this might be what you are saying in general).  I think if this is the case, then being a little heavier as a woman, may have advantages, ONLY if the activity is not anaerobic. I think that a lot of what they will do on this show will be very anaerobic and may not have the same outcomes though because of that. If that is true, then Tracy will improve her fat-burning ability, if she takes it low and slow and stays on the show over a longer period of time. Her VO2 max (oxygen uptake) will increase quickly over time and all of those other factors will also improve as well. I highly doubt that most people think about these indices before embarking on these types of adventures, but they would be smart to do so. It is just like on Survivor. If a person has a real understanding of these physiological processes, they can learn how to work it to their advantage when able. 

• Love 1

ACSM eh? That is my personal trainer certification :) I do wonder what the activity levels are of all these participants. I'd love to know what kind of shape they are actually in. It seemed like last year they tried to expend as little energy as possible, so it was hard to tell their fitness levels. It seems like after the first week or so (when they're active in building shelter and scouting food/water), they can pretty much lay low and hunker down. It also seems like it would be advantageous to sort of "practice" a feast-or-famine lifestyle before this challenge. I remember a couple of people did that on Naked and Afraid and it seemed to help them as far as energy levels, because their bodies had been used to getting a lot at once, then going without.

• Love 1

ACSM eh? That is my personal trainer certification :) 

Yup, a  long time ago though. If you have THAT cert, then you know your stuff. It is a very rigorous certification. The gold standard. :) It would be interesting to know if they monitor anything like that on this show. I do not watch Naked and Afraid, but I suppose any type of training for the potential situation wouldn't hurt the person. 

• Love 1

this is so not feminist to say, but I wondered about the young mother with an infant that changes by the week. I would think that a bit away will be relaxing weeks away would be a stress. although the guy with the pregnant wife lasted second longest, so I probably don't know what i am talking about.

• Love 1

If there was pool for first tap, my bet would be on Desmond.

The History Channel bio for him is basically boy scouts, fishing trips, and the Army. None of those things prepare you for hardcore wilderness survival. Unless he went through some really specialized survival training in the military (which isn't usual) or was some sort of survival instructor in the Army, it doesn't sound like he has the skill set to survive long term. Neither of those things are mentioned in his background.

On the other hand he did get through that initial screening process, so maybe he does have some experience and they just did a bad job writing up his biography.

• Love 1

On naked and afraid they give them cups. if it is only for a few months, maybe they can take the medications that makes you skip periods,.. Also when the body is under stress, you can miss periods, I missed them for almost a year when I was really under stress with the wrong boyfriend, got rid of him, got my periods back,. I don't need drama.. 

• Love 1

If there was pool for first tap, my bet would be on Desmond.

The History Channel bio for him is basically boy scouts, fishing trips, and the Army. None of those things prepare you for hardcore wilderness survival. Unless he went through some really specialized survival training in the military (which isn't usual) or was some sort of survival instructor in the Army, it doesn't sound like he has the skill set to survive long term. Neither of those things are mentioned in his background.

On the other hand he did get through that initial screening process, so maybe he does have some experience and they just did a bad job writing up his biography.

He's my pick for first to drop out as well. Nothing in his bio makes me think he has any training except recreational camping and fishing. Born and raised in Arizona, his bio seems to indicate he'll be a fish out of water
  • Love 2

You mean like last season's joker who said he always had a gun close by

Yep! That guy lasted all of, what, 2 days? I don't know how these people think marksmanship is a substitute for expert bushcraft skills.

• Love 2

Yep! That guy lasted all of, what, 2 days? I don't know how these people think marksmanship is a substitute for expert bushcraft skills.

More than 1 disappointing performance, obviously, but the biggest disappointment in my eyes was Brant. His bio claimed military survival training, up to and including teaching survival classes - yet he never gets fire and ends up tapping out after hallucinations caused by drinking brackish water. The biggest tool for survival is the one you carry between your ears! Come on, dude, you can't get fire started because you're in a rain forest, but you don't think to catch rainwater. Some guys tapped out because bears scared them off, but this was a guy, who supposedly taught survival, failed basic survival 101 - find water! Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 8

Brant is the reason I don't have much hope for Desmond. Brant was desert trained and seriously claustrophobic in the forest. He couldn't even walk 50 feet in to get to healthy water! I saw nothing in Desmond's intro or history to indicate any experience with the kinds of forests found in the PNW.

• Love 5

On naked and afraid they give them cups. if it is only for a few months, maybe they can take the medications that makes you skip periods,.. Also when the body is under stress, you can miss periods, I missed them for almost a year when I was really under stress with the wrong boyfriend, got rid of him, got my periods back,. I don't need drama.. 

CUPS, CCCUUUPPPSS??!! Oh hell to the no. That is just plumb unfair for a female to have to go through all the hell on this show and then have to use some type of CUP for menstrual blood. Holy Christ.  If it were me, (and let me assure, it would't be), I would take birth control pills and just not do the skip week. No period. Many women do that if their cycle falls during their honeymoon or some other special event. There was also a pill introduced a while back, where you took the pills in cycles of 3 months and then had a period once every 3 months. I don't know about this, so I will ask: will a menstruating woman attract animals in the wild?! (Sheepishly). It would be awesome if it repelled animals though! A woman would win every time! ;)

When it comes to Tracy, all I know is that the more weight I'm carrying, the hungrier i am.  My body wants to hang onto every pound.  At times when I've been much leaner even the foods that appeal to me change to lighter, less fatty things.  If I was up to her size I could see myself chowing down on that gorp the first night.  I think she also carries a lot emotionally, and seems sad.  I don't think her search for "hope and peace'" will provide the pluck she needs to stick it out for long.. I think she'll get too hungry and tap. 

Desmond seemed a little freaked out just being on the boat to the drop-offs. Although he claims to do much alone time, he seems way too much of a people person to spend weeks alone.  I agree his background isn't likely to cope well with the PNW.

My picks are Randy, Jose and Larry for the long term.  My instinct is that Mike--the guy who got kicked out of Boys town---may be a little loose cannon with his emotions still.    Mary-Kate: I cannot imagine that missing those adorable babies will not take her out after a couple of weeks!  I'm looking forward to seeing how Nicole does-- my hope for longest lasting female.  

I have to say I actually enjoyed Alan's quiet, ambling narration.  I know some did not, but I found his tone soothing.  

• Love 2

CUPS, CCCUUUPPPSS??!! Oh hell to the no. That is just plumb unfair for a female to have to go through all the hell on this show and then have to use some type of CUP for menstrual blood. Holy Christ.  If it were me, (and let me assure, it would't be), I would take birth control pills and just not do the skip week. No period. Many women do that if their cycle falls during their honeymoon or some other special event. There was also a pill introduced a while back, where you took the pills in cycles of 3 months and then had a period once every 3 months. I don't know about this, so I will ask: will a menstruating woman attract animals in the wild?! (Sheepishly). It would be awesome if it repelled animals though! A woman would win every time! ;)

I have friends who prefer a cup to a tampon of a pad. They are my more crunchy friends who see it as a safe, environmentally friendly alternative to other options. Different strokes for different folks. The women I know who used them were very active, one was a high level crew athlete who was training for the Olympics before she tore muscles in her shoulder. So the cups worked well enough for someone pretty athletic.

But I would not use a cup because it does sounds weird to me. I cannot see cups in this environment because you have to be able to keep them reasonably clean and I don't think that is going to be easy to do.

I use cups, and they are just as messy (if not more so) than, say, tampons.  You have to empty them eventually, after all.  Running the risk of TMI, I tend to empty them in the bathtub/shower for ease of cleanup (for me as well as the cup).  I still prefer them to tampons or pads.

I would second the "take birth control pills until my weight drops low enough for amenorrhea" suggestion.

There's some scientific evidence suggesting that predators are indeed attracted to menstrual blood, and there sure is a lot of anecdotal evidence as well as folklore.  And given that this part of Vancouver Island looks like Predator Central, I wouldn't want to be bleeding there without a good shelter or a lot of other people to scare the animals away by sheer force of numbers.

Edited by Fosca
  • Love 1

Wow, this happily post-menopausal woman has learned a lot today. I'd never even heard of cups before this. At the risk of being considered a hypocrite because I brought the issue up in the first place, maybe we should sideline this topic until it comes up in the course of the show?

I just finished watching the extended drop-off footage.   I was surprised that both Mary-kate and Tracy took Down sleeping bags.   Maybe they've improved but i still think with the all-permeating dampness up there it's a mistake.   I took one on a camping trip years ago and it was misty and drizzling and the bag was useless. I had some shaggy polyester blanket that isn't warm generally, but kept me warmer than the sleeping bag.  The edge of mine did actually get wet--(and I had a tent with a floor) I can't see theirs drying out if that should happen.  ( I took mine to the laundromat)    I guess we'll see.  

I was surprised that only one (Mary-Kate) took an additional tarp.  I saw that they do provide a canvas tarp as part of safety equipment..and a smaller one with the camera equipment, but in watching S1,   the one guy did  point out that the canvas  was not waterproof.  I think they may have been lulled by some sunny days.  If it had been raining buckets before they left , my guess is a waterproof tarp would be in their list.   

That constant raw dampness and rain is such a mind-bender and a huge factor in that challenge. I would say that except for the bears and cougars, it's the number  one foe. If it was sunny there most of the time i think we'd see different attitudes and less depression--which is what seems to be the end game for those who aren't scared off by the bears and such.

Was anyone else surprised by the amount of rations they could take?   I don't think think that was allowed last season, was it??  It's a huge advantage!   I imagine it could see you through for weeks!  

I'm so glad they did the preview show.  It's fun to have time to study the players. I'm really looking forward to S2

• Love 2

Speaking of what I found just now on the ALONE page at HISTORY.COM, they've added a couple pages. Most interesting to me, under the gear list heading http://www.history.c...rohibited-items

is a list of gear everyone is given which does not count against the 10 items. Then we see the list of items they made their 10 choices from, as well as a list of items which were prohibited.

Is history.com geo-locked?  Everytime I try to go to it, it changes it to history.ca, which doesn't have the same content as the American site.  Most annoying.

I just finished watching the extended drop-off footage.   I was surprised that both Mary-kate and Tracy took Down sleeping bags.   Maybe they've improved but i still think with the all-permeating dampness up there it's a mistake.   I took one on a camping trip years ago and it was misty and drizzling and the bag was useless. I had some shaggy polyester blanket that isn't warm generally, but kept me warmer than the sleeping bag.  The edge of mine did actually get wet--(and I had a tent with a floor) I can't see theirs drying out if that should happen.  ( I took mine to the laundromat)    I guess we'll see.  

That was my first thought - wet down has next to zero insulating value. Quick check of prices for down bags shows everything from 20-30 dollars up to hundreds of dollars. In fact there are water resistant down bags that go for over seven hundred. So, hopefully they've done their research and made dmart choices. Something I didn't consider at first was how fire resistant the bag is. I sort of scoffed at the Jose's choice of a canvas and flannel bag, until someone pointed out his choice can be dried out a lot easier over a fire without having to worry about synthetic material catching fire or melting from being too hot.

I was surprised that only one (Mary-Kate) took an additional tarp.  I saw that they do provide a canvas tarp as part of safety equipment..and a smaller one with the camera equipment, but in watching S1,   the one guy did  point out that the canvas  was not waterproof.  I think they may have been lulled by some sunny days.  If it had been raining buckets before they left , my guess is a waterproof tarp would be in their list.

Without doubt, Sam and Lucas showed how valuable an extra tarp could be, both used tarps to make great shelters. And, not just for shelter, Sam used a tarp to catch rainwater, and of course Lucas with his canoe.

That constant raw dampness and rain is such a mind-bender and a huge factor in that challenge. I would say that except for the bears and cougars, it's the number  one foe.

My guess is hypothermia is a greater danger than the wildlife.

Looking forward for the season to start - and hoping this crew fares better than last season

• Love 2
(edited)

From what I've picked up from the trailers that have aired, it looks as if (unlike the S1 crew) the first day or 2 are dry, although we do hear someone complaining about not being able to start a fire. Sounds familiar.

Anyone think we'll have another <24 hours tapout like Josh? (I was looking at S1E1 the other day, and Josh was visibly shaking from the moment he stepped on the ground at his site. He definitely needed a little thought bubble over his head saying "WTF have I gotten myself into?")

Edited by Quilt Fairy