Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

Uh oh.

'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors

“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project," said a statement from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo Star Wars spin-off.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm in a statement.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew," said a statement from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Lord and Miller, the helmers of The LEGO Movie and 21 Jump Street and its sequel 22 Jump Street, signed on to direct the Star Wars stand-alone in July 2015. The film will star Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, while Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover also star.

The film has been shooting in London since February. Sources say there are several weeks left on the shoot (who will be helming those is currently under wraps), with re-shoots scheduled for later in the summer.

The release date of May 25, 2018 remains unchanged.

This isn't the first Star Wars film to face a director issue. On Star Wars: Rogue One, which was helmed by Gareth Edwards, Tony Gilroy was brought in to rewrite and help oversee extensive reshoots for the film. 

The issue of "creative differences" has been the cause of several director exits over the past couple years on studio tentpoles. Tim Miller left Fox's sequel Deadpool 2; Rick Famuyiwa left Warner Bros. and DC's The Flash; Michelle MacLaren left Wonder Woman (which was then directed by Patty Jenkins, who had previously exited Thor 2).

That's not reassuring. There have been movies that lost their directors and turned out fine, perfectly watchable. But I can't think of any that were actually great. Indeed, this is the second Disney-owned movie where this has happened recently. Ant-Man was the first. And remember Joss Whedon talking about the Avengers 2 mess? It's starting to look like a pattern.

People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish

Fair enough. But get cast and crew on board with that interpretation to start with. Maybe not hire directors who are known for light-hearted fun stuff.

9 hours ago, Joe said:

Indeed, this is the second Disney-owned movie where this has happened recently. Ant-Man was the first. And remember Joss Whedon talking about the Avengers 2 mess? It's starting to look like a pattern.

I think Ike Perlmutter was the problem with the Marvel movies. Kevin Feige got tired of Perlmutter's interference and threatened to quit, so Disney removed Perlmutter from a position of authority over the movies.

Based on that incident it sounds like Disney is somewhat hands off as long as the head of the subsidiary delivers. And in this case there's no one like Feige to oppose Kathy Kennedy. So, she's calling the shots as long as the movies make money.

4 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

Based on that incident it sounds like Disney is somewhat hands off as long as the head of the subsidiary delivers. And in this case there's no one like Feige to oppose Kathy Kennedy. So, she's calling the shots as long as the movies make money.

The second article, though, goes on to say that Disney and Lucasfilm stepped in when Rogue One was being filmed, getting Tony Gilroy to do some rewriting and  directing because Gareth Edwards wasn't giving them what they wanted in regards to tone. So this isn't the first time they've changed horses midstream, which makes their initial decision to hire Lord and Miller a bit iffy. I would think that rewrites and such are more expensive production-wise rather than just getting it right the first time, and while Rogue One did very well, those were "new" characters, not established ones. I hope they get their shit together, because I'd like for this movie to be awesome.

(edited)

Those statements the official Star Wars site released don't exactly sound friendly.  No "We wish them well in their future endeavors."  I heard these directors also left The Flash movie because of creative differences.  Are they just difficult to work with?

I can't say this bodes well for an already questionable production.

People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish

I agree he's not a comedic personality though the characters is humorous. 

Edited by benteen
(edited)
2 hours ago, benteen said:

Those statements the official Star Wars site released don't exactly sounds friendly.  No "We wish them well in their future endeavors."  I heard these directors also left The Flash movie because of creative differences.  Are they just difficult to work with?

I think it's more their ideas are kind of off the wall and a lot riskier than what people are used to doing.  I have to say though those risks do pay off. If you had told me a movie based on 21 Jump Street or a movie based on Legos or the concept of The Last Man I would have told you all three wouldn't have a chance of working. I think the sequel 22 Jump Street is even funnier than the first but you just have to look at the failures of Baywatch and CHiPs to see how it could have tanked.

3 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Is it unusual for a director to be replaced this late into shooting?

Richard Donner had at least finished 2/3rds of Superman II before he concentrated on finishing the first Superman. Then the Salkinds fired him before he could finish the sequel. Donner didn't want to share a directing credit so the replacement, Richard Lester had to reshoot a lot of Donner's scenes to get full credit from the Director's Guild of America. As a kid I never noticed it but watching it now I see the Lester scenes have a different photographic look and tone and Christopher Reeve and especially Margot Kidder look different from scene to scene and even shot to shot.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Richard Donner had at least finished 2/3rds of Superman II before he concentrated on finishing the first Superman. Then the Salkinds fired him before he could finish the sequel. Donner didn't want to share a directing credit so the replacement, Richard Lester had to reshoot a lot of Donner's scenes to get full credit from the Director's Guild of America. As a kid I never noticed it but watching it now I see the Lester scenes have a different photographic look and tone and Christopher Reeve and especially Margot Kidder look different from scene to scene and even shot to shot.

The Salkinds were notorious for not being clear on how many movies they were making at the time.  Actors now have a "Salkind Clause" in their contracts stating how many movies they are shooting.  They explain a lot of this on the Richard Donner cut of Superman II.

1 hour ago, Lugal said:

The Salkinds were notorious for not being clear on how many movies they were making at the time.  Actors now have a "Salkind Clause" in their contracts stating how many movies they are shooting.  They explain a lot of this on the Richard Donner cut of Superman II.

Yeah, they pulled that crap earlier on The Three Musketeers, not telling the cast they were also going to be in a Four Musketeers movie!

9 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Is it unusual for a director to be replaced this late into shooting?

Yes, it seems so. (At least for a film this big/expensive.) Since elsewhere on the Internet where this is being discussed only 2 or 3 of the same examples are mentioned. Usually 'creative differences' come up in pre-production.

• Love 1

Little Opie Cunningham is directing Star Wars!

He does have a long history with GL (whom he's close with) and directed Willow for him.

From what I've read, there are three more weeks of shooting left and five weeks of reshoots planned.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:31 PM, Silver Raven said:

There are reports that Alden Ehrenreich is struggling.  Acting coaches have been brought in, but there are rumors that he may have to be replaced.

That's never a good sign. 

Wow, replacing your main actor is a lot tougher than replacing a director, at least from what I've heard. I wasn't too concerned about the switch in directors, because Ron Howard is a pro who can handle a big production, and changing directors is pretty common. Replacing Han himself? Could be a problem. 

• Love 1
On 6/28/2017 at 0:31 PM, Silver Raven said:

There are reports that Alden Ehrenreich is struggling.  Acting coaches have been brought in, but there are rumors that he may have to be replaced.

Eddie Murphy was almost fired from his first movie 48 Hours until the studio hired an acting coach for him, David Proval, best known as Richie Aprile on The Sopranos.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/teachings/2005/01/the_people_whisperers.html

Three "Forces of Destiny" animated shorts uploaded on YouTube by Disney so far and I like them. They fit in neatly so far in the respective movies:

"Sands of Jakku" and "BB-8 Bandits" with Rey:

"Ewok Escape" with Princess Leia:

• Love 1

I think Ron Howard could do a great job. He's not only been friends with GL since American Graffiti, he's an Oscar-winning director with one of the best reps in the business.

As for Alden Ehrenreich, as far as I'm concerned, if he can handle the Corn brothers in  Hail, Caesar! then he can handle playing Han Solo.

• Love 1
On 28/06/2017 at 8:31 PM, Silver Raven said:

Some idiot put "would that it were so simple" in the script, didn't they?

It seems to be the norm for Star Wars movies to be beset by problems and crises, only to end up being really good, so hopefully this one is no different. But dumping your directors and then possibly having to recast your lead? Yeah, not good. Maybe they should just make it a Lando movie.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Hell, why NOT make it a Lando movie?

I mean, with Donald Glover as Lando, I'd be queueing up at the cinema.  It would make things a lot simpler in terms of crafting a story that's acceptable to the more dedicated fans, as well. Those who have set views on what Han should and shouldn't be allowed to do, even as a young man.

Although, I have to say, I do like the idea of the final scene of this movie being Han and Chewie walking into Mos Eisley Cantina, talking about how they could do with finding a job that will pay well.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Will they explain how Ben aged, like 40 hears in the 20 years between the events of Revenge of The Sith and New Hope???

Desert living.

Wear sunscreen, kids.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 14
On 8/18/2017 at 1:09 PM, VCRTracking said:

I don't care what people say, the "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!" moment is one of the best acted scenes in the series.

Honestly, for all of the prequels' problems, the stuff between Anakin and Obi-Wan in Revenge is not one of them.  It's probably the best part of the entire exercise.

• Love 5
On 8/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, VCRTracking said:

I don't care what people say, the "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!" moment is one of the best acted scenes in the series.

When I watch that scene, I always imagine they actually built the two's friendship, like original-recipe ObiWan talked about. That they were really brothers and not the relationship we saw.

I think I read somewhere that they took out a scene where they fought a monster together before the end of the fight. I think it was a mistake that they took that part out. I know it was a long fight, but I think it would have shown the audience how truly awful it was that these two brothers were fighting each other.

But then again, they mangled what their story could have been, so I dont know if the scene would have had the same impact I wished it would have had.

Can we get McGregor in the current Star Wars series? This is the series he deserves, not the ones he was (in my opinion) the only shining star in. 

• Love 4

In other news, Colin Tervorrow has been booted off Episode IX. This is after someone was brought on to fiddle with the script. Who knows how bad it is, or how it'll turn out. I heard recently that Trevorrow's writing seems to have issues with women. Not a good look when the head honcho is a woman. Also, his recent movie, the Book of Henry, got some terrible reviews. That won't help either.

Frankly, all I want is good Star Wars movies. Ones that I can watch over and over and enjoy. I'm not a lover of behind the scenes drama. But I suppose that at least in some cases, the drama can lead to better movies. Witness Rogue One, that had some rocky development.

• Love 1