Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Joanna & Bo

IMO Joanna wanted to be on the show to try to get modeling jobs. This story seemed set up- at least some of it

Then- why did Ana move on and Joana ended up " hoping" she can be more than friends with her

Wierd turn of events

• Love 1

I don't even know what I just watched. It didn't even sound like a catfish in the beginning, why would they even do this one if it didn't sound like a catfish?

Joanna is gross. I have no tolerance for her shit. Ugh. I need to calm down.

Fake hair, fake lips, fake boobs, covered in tatts, bad attitude, & she gets violent. Who the hell would want her?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 7

Wait-- she's deeply in love with "Bo" but "cuddles and kisses" Bo's supposed best friend while the two of them wait for Bo to arrive the next day? That pretty much negates any high ground Joanna might have been able to claim, right? And that's without even getting into the punch in the face.

I'm not excusing Ana lying, and not coming clean on her own at any of many earlier opportunities. If it's true about the original profile, she could easily have told that story at any of many points, when they first met in Vegas if not sooner. So that wasn't great. And it's hard to know what's true when someone has a history of lying.

BUT: I still liked her way more than Joanna, who seemed like a total drama queen and completely unreliable, even before she got to the unrepentant battery.

RE the nipple prominence, I was surprised the show didn't blur them or ask her to put on some kind of blocking undergarment. I'm not offended by nipples, but it just seemed... unusual... that the camera was so focused on them and no one censored it either. I am used to cleavage exploitation on tv, but usually we don't get that level of below the shirt focus.

• Love 4

I love it when a catfish is in my neck of the woods!  I'm only like an hour away from this disaster!  2 hours if I take the train!

I'm not at the end, but this doesn't seem unsalvagable.  Joanna is clearly physically attracted to Ana, because she hooked up with her twice (and I kinda believe Ana on that account) -- and she likes whatever personality she has presented online.  Physical attraction + personality attraction = love 4 ever?

I'm just confused as to why Ana didn't just say something after they hooked up and she knew Joanna thought she was cute.

Do think Joanna is likely doing this show to get more modelling jobs -- the "balls" joke reeked of it having been written for her.

Joanna wears so much makeup, but I guess not foundation or it would cover those face tattoos?

Edited by RCharter

I love it when a catfish is in my neck of the woods! I'm only like an hour away from this disaster! 2 hours if I take the train!

I'm not at the end, but this doesn't seem unsalvagable. Joanna is clearly physically attracted to Ana, because she hooked up with her twice (and I kinda believe Ana on that account) -- and she likes whatever personality she has presented online. Physical attraction + personality attraction = love 4 ever?

I'm just confused as to why Ana didn't just say something after they hooked up and she knew Joanna thought she was cute.

Do think Joanna is likely doing this show to get more modelling jobs -- the "balls" joke reeked of it having been written for her.

Joanna wears so much makeup, but I guess not foundation or it would cover those face tattoos?

I was in Sephora the other day and the woman who did my makeup was heavily tatted, including her face. She was definitely wearing foundation, so I'm guessing it was just sheer enough and the tats were dark enough that they showed through.

I missed Joanna's age so when I read the recap & saw she was 26, I was surprised. She looks older. The heavy makeup is aging.

I'm frankly surprised it's taken this long for somebody to get violent. I'm not saying it's right, but emotions are high, somebody has just been embarrassed on TV ... things can happen. Joanna was terrible - all her reactions came from a place of "ew, gross."

• Love 1

I was in Sephora the other day and the woman who did my makeup was heavily tatted, including her face. She was definitely wearing foundation, so I'm guessing it was just sheer enough and the tats were dark enough that they showed through.

I missed Joanna's age so when I read the recap & saw she was 26, I was surprised. She looks older. The heavy makeup is aging.

I'm frankly surprised it's taken this long for somebody to get violent. I'm not saying it's right, but emotions are high, somebody has just been embarrassed on TV ... things can happen. Joanna was terrible - all her reactions came from a place of "ew, gross."

But I don't even understand the "eww...gross." because she hooked up with the girl twice!  Unless she somehow thinks she is better than Ana, but to me Joanna looks like a heavily made up, tattooed Muppet....so......

Interesting about the sephora makeup artist....I don't think I've ever had my makeup done by someone with face tatts.

I agree that its surprising its taken 5 seasons for someone to get violent.....but....if it was gonna happen anywhere....San Berdoo is the place!

• Love 3

A Muppet, yes!

Some people aren't very photogenic and tend look way better in real life than photos. IMO, Joanna isn't very life-o-genic. Of course, her pictures were photoshopped to hell and back.

I'm on the same page as far as not OKing Ana's deceptions, but being way more "on her side". IF I had to hang out with one of them, it wouldn't be Joanna.

I loved the recap, btw!

• Love 5

But I don't even understand the "eww...gross." because she hooked up with the girl twice!  Unless she somehow thinks she is better than Ana, but to me Joanna looks like a heavily made up, tattooed Muppet....so......

And when Joanna was showed a picture of a more conventionally attractive, feminine "Bo," she was like "She's not even, like, a stud!" so it seems like her taste in women leans more butch. Weird.

I'm not sure I believe that they hooked up twice - when Joanna asked why Ana had said that, Ana was like "You bullshit too!" (and couldn't come up with anything Joanna lied about, when pressed). I'm also not sure what difference it makes - something physical happened at least once, so Joanna was attracted enough at one point to go there.

I love Max. He was like "You hooked up with Bo's best friend?" and Joanna was like "Why do you have to say it like that?" Max: "Well, that's what happened." HA! 

Some people aren't very photogenic and tend look way better in real life than photos. IMO, Joanna isn't very life-o-genic. Of course, her pictures were photoshopped to hell and back.

I used to say in my online dating profiles (real pics of me, tagged with the date and place they were taken - I'm not a catfish!) that in general I don't photograph particularly well, so whatever you'd rate me on a 1-10 scale, add a point and that's what I look like. When we met in person, nearly all of my online dates commented that I look better in real life. Joanna looks a LOT worse in person without the benefit of filters. A lot of people won't see past her boobs though (and I agree with the recap, those nipples were a lot), so I'm sure she gets attention.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3

I agree that "Bo" looks a lot like Ana. I wouldn't be surprised if those were old pictures of her, and I can understand why she might not want to talk about it on camera if so.

I am mystified by the thought process that ends in "Yes, 'Cash Only' right on my face, this is a good decision."

• Love 6

Fake hair, fake lips, fake boobs, covered in tatts, bad attitude, & she gets violent. Who the hell would want her?

Somebody looking for a top in a BSDM relationship? She's got the stereotyped look and attitude, so this show could lead to some modeling work in fetish magazines and catalogs. Maybe even videos.

Joanna's skin tells a thousand tales of bad decisions prior to the one she made about Bo. And the one she made about putting accepted methods of payment on her forehead.

• Love 2

Joanna's skin tells a thousand tales of bad decisions prior to the one she made about Bo. And the one she made about putting accepted methods of payment on her forehead.

I couldn't make out many of Joanna's tattoos past the "Cash Only" nonsense, but I did notice a pic of Jim Morrison on her arm. Right under one of those old-timey microphones. Because she's keeping things vintage, I guess.

I feel like Nev and Max never addressed how crazy it was that Ana pretended to be Bo, then met up with Joanna as part of some weird recon mission while acting like Bo's "best friend." That's some creepy, insane shit when you actually think about it.

• Love 1

I couldn't make out many of Joanna's tattoos past the "Cash Only" nonsense, but I did notice a pic of Jim Morrison on her arm. Right under one of those old-timey microphones. Because she's keeping things vintage, I guess.

I feel like Nev and Max never addressed how crazy it was that Ana pretended to be Bo, then met up with Joanna as part of some weird recon mission while acting like Bo's "best friend." That's some creepy, insane shit when you actually think about it.

Someone took a page out of the "Sister Wives" catfish story.  And in Vegas too!  Or, I guess it was the reverse.  Meri went to Disneyland to meet her catfish and ended up hanging out with "his" "assistant".  

ETA:  Since I'm posting, I want to recommend that Joanna get her money back for her boobs.  Unless she wanted wonky nipples that pointed in different directions. 

Edited by JenMcSnark

Someone took a page out of the "Sister Wives" catfish story.  And in Vegas too!  Or, I guess it was the reverse.  Meri went to Disneyland to meet her catfish and ended up hanging out with "his" "assistant".  

ETA:  Since I'm posting, I want to recommend that Joanna get her money back for her boobs.  Unless she wanted wonky nipples that pointed in different directions. 

No tea, no shade, but if she got the work done in Riverside, its her own damn fault.  She got what she paid for.

No tea, no shade, but if she got the work done in Riverside, its her own damn fault. She got what she paid for.

When one of the [contestant] on Rock of Love wanted to insult another contestant, she'd accuse her of getting her boob job in Tijuana. Apparently, if you live in the Southwest that's the place to go if you just want one done really cheap. Edited by GenL
Unacceptable language edited out
  • Love 1

Jeez, how damaged are people that they have to "modify" their bodies this way, and yes I'm talking about both of them. Every time I watch Catfish, I'm just astonished at people thinking they are in realtionships with people they've never met!!!!! I'm sure I'm showing my age here, but can't people make friends the old fashioned way anymore?????

Jeez, how damaged are people that they have to "modify" their bodies this way, and yes I'm talking about both of them. Every time I watch Catfish, I'm just astonished at people thinking they are in realtionships with people they've never met!!!!! I'm sure I'm showing my age here, but can't people make friends the old fashioned way anymore?????

I have no problem with the idea of online dating, or meeting people online.

Where I get confused is when people say they are "boyfriend/girlfriend" and they have never once seen the whites of the other persons eyes.  Or had a meal together at the local Olive Garden....oh in the case of San Bernardino, they never had a meal together at the local Deja Vu strip club.

• Love 4

Joanna was gross, I can't believe she got off so lightly for smacking Ana in the face.

Having said that, I'd have resented being preached at by Nev because he's not exactly innocent of losing his temper. This is the guy who launched someone's phone into the sea. 

• Love 1

Joanna was gross, I can't believe she got off so lightly for smacking Ana in the face.

Having said that, I'd have resented being preached at by Nev because he's not exactly innocent of losing his temper. This is the guy who launched someone's phone into the sea. 

yeah...but that was hilarious.  And seeing bony little Nev, in his skinny jeans work himself into such a lather was just entertaining.  

I know he shouldn't have done it, but it seemed a far cry from that tattooed muppet slapping someone that she had made out with.

• Love 3

Wow.  I don't even know what to say -- the two versions of the story are so very different.  Like night and day....I suspect the truth is more in the middle, but I'm not even sure what side of the middle the truth is on.  

Neither story sounds true.  In Nev's account....he was just minding his own business and some chick started to yank his camera strap by the neck essentially choking him with it.  If thats the case, I can sort of understand just wildly punching in the hopes to get away.  But that story doesn't make sense, because a reasonable human being would at least ask you a few times, or try to get someone else involved, not just start assaulting you.

In the girl's story.....she just tapped Nev on the shoulder and he turned around and punched her in her face.  Which also doesn't make sense, he didn't even know what she wanted or who was tapping him on the shoulder.  And then she says she doesn't want to press charges because it would be her word against his, but there were like 4 other witnesses.

Either way.....odd, odd, odd

• Love 3

Regarding Nev and the punch incident, the girl stated that she was making out with her girlfriend at her party. Nev started taking pictures and being obnoxious. She asked him to stop but she refused and they got into an argument. Which ended up with Nev hitting her. Which is why I thought he was full of crap when he lectured Joanna about hitting Ana/Bo. He can't even keep his hands to himself or at least couldn't for one known incident.