Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3

• Start Topic

The inn?  wow!!!

When Lorelai, Sookie and Michel walk into the burnt remains of the inn and take in the enormity of what just happened, it's so poignant.

JESS: I’m talking about going out for about an hour. What – you need more time?

One of my fav Luke/Jess moments was in One's Got Class The Other Dyes, Lorelai promised Luke a toy if he dressed nicely.

LORELAI: You like Jimmy Buffett? He’s so mellow.

LUKE: I’ve just been to a few shows, that’s all.

LORELAI: A few shows? Oh my God, you’re a Buffetthead.

LUKE: Is that the one you want me to wear or not?

LORELAI: Sing Margaritaville.

LUKE: No.

JESS: That attitude’s gonna lose you that toy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

JESS: That attitude’s gonna lose you that toy.

Heeeeeee. Lorelai and Jess could have made such a great sarcastic team if she wasn't so childish in her hatred of him.

• Love 4

I'm determined to finish  Season 3 tonight!

See? Lorelai sees Max and just because she thinks they should go back she wants him to agree.  Selfish Lorelai only thinking about herself yet again.

We got to meet Pete...the pizza guy.  I was so excited!  

Sookie looks like she lost weight.

Rory and Dean....wow.  I'm so glad they finally had their fight.  It's been building up in forever.  That poor guy who had the party...trying to keep the house intact.  WTH Dean??  Getting married????

Lane!!!???!! I can't believe she told Mrs Kim about Dave.  I love that Dave understood what Lane goes through (unlike Henry) and was finally rewarded.

I love the use of the church/synagogue.  

I tried...I really tried to like Jess but I couldn't make it happen.  I hate the way he treats Rory.  He couldn't even say goodbye to her.  I'm so glad she didn't sleep with him.  Which brings me to why the heck did Rory even care for him anyway?  Just because he likes to read?   He has no personality at all other than brooding.    There's plenty of guys that like to read.  Ok why are they wasting our t time showing us Jess in California??  They act like we care about him.  He was not a compelling character at all so why would they think that?  Are they trying to push some kind of gauging reaction to give him his own show type of thing???  I guess it didn't pan out if that's the case.  (Thank God).

I think what bugs me about Lorelai is that sometimes she's the kid and Rory is the parent.  Really? carving names in the wood?  She makes me shake my head so much.

Graduation:  Sookie=annoying as usual!  Luke looks so handsome...much better with shorter hair 

Oh God...I'm not supposed to cry when watching this show.  You guys didn't warn me!!  ::hands on hips:::

On to Season 4!!  I'm so glad I'm unspoiled.  (However after watching hundreds of Hallmark Christmas movies I have the nagging suspicion that she ends up with Luke -- Don't tell me if I'm right.  At this rate I'll know by the end of the week) (I typed that right before she told Luke not to get engaged.  

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Which brings me to why the heck did Rory even care for him anyway?  Just because he likes to read?   He has no personality at all other than brooding.    There's plenty of guys that like to read.  Ok why are they wasting our t time showing us Jess in California??  They act like we care about him.  He was not a compelling character at all so why would they think that?  Are they trying to push some kind of gauging reaction to give him his own show type of thing???  I guess it didn't pan out if that's the case.  (Thank God).

Jess in California was a back door pilot. You're right, didn't go anywhere. I don't care for MV. After watching a couple of interviews with him, I decided he wasn't acting for Jess, he is Jess.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Which brings me to why the heck did Rory even care for him anyway?  Just because he likes to read?   He has no personality at all other than brooding.    There's plenty of guys that like to read.  Ok why are they wasting our t time showing us Jess in California??  They act like we care about him.  He was not a compelling character at all so why would they think that?  Are they trying to push some kind of gauging reaction to give him his own show type of thing???  I guess it didn't pan out if that's the case.  (Thank God).

Heh. Welcome to the Jess is A Giant Tool Antifan Club. Always glad to have a new member!

To answer your excellent questions..

1) Rory has piss-poor taste in men. Consider this foreshadowing.

2) Possibly. I guess he’s supposed to be some kind of hot self-taught rebel intellectual wrapped in leather. A literary pig in a blanket.

3) They were trying to make a Jess spin-off happen. It did not, IMO, because you need a character who is interesting and/or likable. I wouldn’t change a channel for him, let alone watch the Jess Show and I confess I fast-forwarded through all of the California hokum.

4) That actor, whose name my brain refuses to retain, did end up successful somewhere. Somebody here will tell you, I am sure.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 4
On 1/10/2021 at 11:03 AM, NYGirl said:

New watcher.  In fact I've never even heard of the show.  I guess I was too busy in the early 2000's to watch TV.  Anyway I just started Season 3.  I'm hate-Lorelai-binge watching but I'm definitely hooked and glad I am not too busy to watch. 

Thoughts so far:  Can one of you Gilmore-philes please explain to me why Rory needs to go to Harvard and why Lorelai is so adamant about it?  Is it because she picked it for her when she was young to go against her father?  That's the impression I get since everything is about Lorelai as far as she is concerned.  I can't believe she didn't think of back up application.

So far there's too much Sookie.  I'm not a fan of Melissa McCarthy and her antics are too OTT for me.

I'm very glad that Rory and Dean finally broke up.  It must be hard in that small town to move on though.  I feel sorry for Dean.  Everybody knows everybody.  That said..I love all of the townies..especially Kirk.  I loved the egging of Jess's car.  I hated that Lorelai was forced to go to the baby shower and of course she had to act all babyish and mess up the bathroom.

As far as the deposition I can't believe Emily would allow Lorelai to go even near taking a deposition.  Lorelai thinks she is so cute yet she comes off as so immature and never takes anything seriously.

What's with Dean's little sister Clara?  She looks like a small adult..but acts like a kid.  Right?

Not sure if answered, but Lorelai was hell bent on Rory going to Harvard because I think that had been her dream pre-teen pregnancy.  There was a scene in season 2 during the road trip post engagement break up where they visited Harvard.. and Lorelei was looking at a photo of an alumni and it showed the year she graduated.. and it would have been the same year she would have completed Harvard had she gone.

So I always viewed Harvard as Lorelai trying to control Rory's destiny and live through her daughter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 12/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, peacheslatour said:

"Oh poor, sainted Rory was messed up by Satan himself!"

Funniest thing I've ever read ! LOL !!
I disliked Jess deeply during that part of the show, but I agree that the townies esp. Lorelai blamed him unfairly.

• Love 3

I am a Jess fan, mainly due to some of the later episodes so spoilers.

But I agree the California episode is pointless and boring. I remember when I first saw it,  as a rerun on ABC Family. I felt like WTF am I watching, I knew it was Gilmore Girl's but had no memory of this episode. Of course I then learned it was a failed backdoor pilot that I somehow missed on the original airing. 

• Love 3
On 9/4/2021 at 7:32 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I always viewed Harvard as Lorelai trying to control Rory's destiny and live through her daughter.

Rory was an extension of Lorelai. ☹️

• Love 3

It is perhaps an understatement to say I do not care for Jess, but I thought he made sense as the bad boy type who would appeal to Rory essentially in between her high school sweetheart and her college sweetheart. Rory was relatively innocent and sheltered - guys like Jess can be catnip to girls like Rory. I think Lorelai's kind of extreme reaction to him (except when she responded to his behavior at the party and when she scolded him for how he was treating Luke, those were fair) was more of her inappropriate overly identifying with Rory as someone who generally wants the same things that she wants. It's a more extreme version of her overreaction to Rory liking to golf with her grandfather. Jess, especially in S2-S3, was not the type of guy who ever would have appealed to Lorelai, so she just assumed he couldn't really appeal to Rory, and she reacted negatively when she realized that wasn't true.

Incidentally, this is yet another example of the writing explicitly giving examples of how Lorelai and Rory are indeed NOT the same, only to keep going back to trying to sell us that they must be on similar paths.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

It is perhaps an understatement to say I do not care for Jess, but I thought he made sense as the bad boy type who would appeal to Rory essentially in between her high school sweetheart and her college sweetheart.

I DO like Jess (my thing is when he was confronted about his bad behavior he always tried to do better - even if he didn't make a big 'look at me!' deal about it - and that's very telling to me) but yeah, I could always see why Rory was drawn to him. He was highly intelligent, they could have serious conversations about books, movies, and music that went beyond just fawning over whatever was popular at the time, and he had that 'rebel without a cause' vibe that can be very appealing to the squeaky clean people-pleasing good girl that mid-teen Rory was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cristofle said:

I think Lorelai's kind of extreme reaction to him (except when she responded to his behavior at the party and when she scolded him for how he was treating Luke, those were fair) was more of her inappropriate overly identifying with Rory as someone who generally wants the same things that she wants.

Yeah, rewatching those episodes as an adult Lorelai's age, I really want to shake her. No one who is not in high school should care that much about a high school relationship. By all means, make sure Rory doesn't do anything to jeopardize her future, but outside of that, don't get involved. Really, Lorelai screwed up before Jess ever got to Stars Hollow. She never should have gotten so attached to Dean or to the idea of Dean and Rory's love.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Hera said:

Yeah, rewatching those episodes as an adult Lorelai's age, I really want to shake her. No one who is not in high school should care that much about a high school relationship. By all means, make sure Rory doesn't do anything to jeopardize her future, but outside of that, don't get involved. Really, Lorelai screwed up before Jess ever got to Stars Hollow. She never should have gotten so attached to Dean or to the idea of Dean and Rory's love.

Jess wasn't an actual drug dealer, nor was he doing something like regularly beating Rory, so this was not a relationship Lorelai should have interfered with the way she did. You intervene if your child is in danger, and I don't mean of getting their feelings hurt. Honestly, the first time I would have understood her thinking about interceding was after the party in S3, but she'd already blown her credibility on the topic by that point. Let Rory have the relationships she's going to have and make the mistakes she's doing to make. Let's be real - the obsessive overcoddling of Rory by a lot of people is probably a not-small reason she basically stopped functioning whenever real problems came her way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Let's be real - the obsessive overcoddling of Rory by a lot of people is probably a not-small reason she basically stopped functioning whenever real problems came her way.

YES !!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Cristofle said:

Jess wasn't an actual drug dealer, nor was he doing something like regularly beating Rory, so this was not a relationship Lorelai should have interfered with the way she did. You intervene if your child is in danger, and I don't mean of getting their feelings hurt. Honestly, the first time I would have understood her thinking about interceding was after the party in S3, but she'd already blown her credibility on the topic by that point. Let Rory have the relationships she's going to have and make the mistakes she's doing to make. Let's be real - the obsessive overcoddling of Rory by a lot of people is probably a not-small reason she basically stopped functioning whenever real problems came her way.

HEAR, HEAR!

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Lorelai high fives Rory for having two guys fight over her. I thought that was really harmful.

Lorelai was a harmful parent in some ways.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

At the end of Keg! Max!, Lorelai high fives Rory for having two guys fight over her. I thought that was really harmful. I've had guys fight over me and it's terrifying, not something to be encouraged.

It's really unfortunate that Lorelai could not in that instance do the BARE minimum of "Violence is not the answer." My mom was never happy to hear anyone in our proximity was in a physical altercation. I thought that was pretty basic, lol. 

• Love 3

Speaking of that fight in "Keg! Max!", it was far better choreographed than it needed to be. This was not a show anyone was watching for its fight sequences, and yet, they threw in a gratuitously good one, seemingly for the hell of it.

Also, I love that Chauncey Leopardi, who played Alan the bully on Freaks and Geeks, turns up in that episode as Kyle, the mild mannered guy who throws a kegger and then tells the guests to use coasters and pick up the chips they drop.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, Hera said:

I like Dean but even I don't get why Lorelai was so attached to Dean or so certain that he would never hurt her.  It was just like Richard and Emily liking Christopher and Logan only because they came from the right background and not caring about their troubling behavior or Mrs. Kim only wanting Lane to date Korean boys. Lorelai was the same way about Dean. Sure he didn't have the issues that Jess did and polite to Rory but that doesn't mean he won't hurt Rory. He was still a sixteen year old kid.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, SJC said:

Yet precious, perfect Lorelai didn't like Emily's interference in her relationships.
SMH

I think that she thought that because her relationship with Rory is so different than Emily's relationship with Lorelai, that it's ok to be more involved (read: meddling).

6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I like Dean but even I don't get why Lorelai was so attached to Dean or so certain that he would never hurt her.  It was just like Richard and Emily liking Christopher and Logan only because they came from the right background and not caring about their troubling behavior or Mrs. Kim only wanting Lane to date Korean boys. Lorelai was the same way about Dean. Sure he didn't have the issues that Jess did and polite to Rory but that doesn't mean he won't hurt Rory. He was still a sixteen year old kid.  

I wonder if she wanted Rory's first relationship to last, because her own first relationship ended as it did. She sometimes seemed to want to live vicariously through Rory.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 12/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, Hera said:

Speaking of that fight in "Keg! Max!", it was far better choreographed than it needed to be. This was not a show anyone was watching for its fight sequences, and yet, they threw in a gratuitously good one, seemingly for the hell of it.

LOL. It was certainly much better than Jess and Dean's earlier fight in front of the school, which was HILARIOUS. Jared was so much taller than Milo that the swing Jess took at him was objectively ridiculous. 

On 12/22/2021 at 5:21 AM, JustHereForFood said:

I wonder if she wanted Rory's first relationship to last, because her own first relationship ended as it did. She sometimes seemed to want to live vicariously through Rory.

I think this was a BIG part of it and it was inappropriate. Lorelai was overly invested in a lot of Rory's life and relationships because she saw Rory as this path to living a life she couldn't. Rory must stay with Dean because he's a nice boy and her first love isn't supposed to fall apart the way Lorelai's did. She can't like Jess - Lorelai would never like a boy like Jess. She can't like Logan - Logan is rich and spoiled and everything Lorelai resents. She can't enjoy golfing at the country club with her grandfather - Lorelai would never like that. She can't quit college - that was supposed to be Lorelai's chance at living a successful life through Rory. 

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

I think this was a BIG part of it and it was inappropriate. Lorelai was overly invested in a lot of Rory's life and relationships because she saw Rory as this path to living a life she couldn't. Rory must stay with Dean because he's a nice boy and her first love isn't supposed to fall apart the way Lorelai's did. She can't like Jess - Lorelai would never like a boy like Jess. She can't like Logan - Logan is rich and spoiled and everything Lorelai resents. She can't enjoy golfing at the country club with her grandfather - Lorelai would never like that. She can't quit college - that was supposed to be Lorelai's chance at living a successful life through Rory. 

Which is why it was so riddiculous to me that she was suddenly so pearl-clutching about Rory sleeping with Dean - that's something Lorelai would do, IMO. She slept with Christopher when he was still officially with his girlfriend.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Which is why it was so riddiculous to me that she was suddenly so pearl-clutching about Rory sleeping with Dean - that's something Lorelai would do, IMO. She slept with Christopher when he was still officially with his girlfriend.

But they weren't married. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

But they weren't married. 

Definitely. Lorelai would not have reacted the same way if Lindsey had just been Dean's girlfriend. I think Lorelai actually did believe marriage was a very serious and permanent step, and one that should not be messed with, and it might be why she balked at getting married a couple of times, heh (and it's why I did not buy her S7 behavior). Even if she thought Dean was too young to get married, she was stunned and rightfully pretty horrified that her daughter would so carelessley bulldoze straight through a marriage, and one the injured party certainly didn't know was over.

• Love 7

So the $ that costs to send Rory to private schools and the repayment schedule always bugged me.

according to google yale cost $27,000 a year in 2003 not including room and board. So add another $10,000.

3 years of prep school probably cost similarly.

lorelei got $75,000 from Richard how convenient… and paid off the chilton loan.

how would Rory pay back her grandparents $140,000+ in loans on a journalist salary?

where did Lorelei get $ to buy the inn?

This show was written for dummies…

• Love 1
9 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

So the $ that costs to send Rory to private schools and the repayment schedule always bugged me.

according to google yale cost $27,000 a year in 2003 not including room and board. So add another $10,000.

3 years of prep school probably cost similarly.

lorelei Lorelai got $75,000 from Richard how convenient… and paid off the chilton loan.

how would Rory pay back her grandparents $140,000+ in loans on a journalist salary?

where did Lorelei Lorelai get $ to buy the inn?

This show was written for dummies…

You'll make yourself nuts if you try to figure out money on any of the Pallidino's shows. They use whatever fits the plot du jour.

• Love 7
On 4/30/2022 at 8:34 AM, chessiegal said:

You'll make yourself nuts if you try to figure out money on any of the Pallidino's shows. They use whatever fits the plot du jour.

This. Best I can figure, with the exception of those who were clearly well off (Richard and Emily, the Huntsburgers, etc.) everyone else on this show was apparently a wealthy pauper.

• Love 7
On 4/30/2022 at 9:34 AM, chessiegal said:

I actually think that's most shows.  I didn't like the show in general, but I feel like Roseanne was the only show that really "got" working poor.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I just remembered: Emily co-signed the loan for the inn. What a horrible mother Emily is (sarcasticly said by me). Lorelei is a spoiled ungrateful brat… 

Incorrect. Emily co-signed a loan so Lorelai could get the termites in her house removed. Luke loaned Lorelai money for the inn - $30K.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm still confused why Emily had to do that in the first place. Lorelai's worked in the same place for fifteen years. She easily should have gotten that loan. 

Plus she must have had a mortgage on her house. I pretty sure she was a good credit risk.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm still confused why Emily had to do that in the first place. Lorelai's worked in the same place for fifteen years. She easily should have gotten that loan. 

Part of the script was every bank was turning Lorelai down. They implied she didn't have enough assets. I agree she should have, but then we wouldn't have the main plot for this episode. Palladino finance voodoo to the rescue!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Part of the script was every bank was turning Lorelai down. They implied she didn't have enough assets. I agree she should have, but then we wouldn't have the main plot for this episode. Palladino finance voodoo to the rescue!

Yeah, it makes no sense and there's not even any pay off with Emily making her have her DAR meetings at the inn. That could have been a fun way to have Emily and Lorelai together but that ended up only being for one episode when Emily gets overly involved in Sookie's wedding. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Lorelai was always the richest poor person in the world

Yes !
For example...in 'A Scene In The Mall', Lorelai claimed that she had no money to shop, but all of a sudden--!!!!--she had plenty of $ to buy a ton of food/drinks for her, Emily & Rory. Just plain ridiculous. 

Edited by SJC
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
51 minutes ago, SJC said:

in 'A Scene In The Mall', Lorelai claimed that she had no money to shop, but all of a sudden--!!!!--she had plenty of $ to buy a ton of food/drinks for her, Emily & Rory.

Exactly! And cash as she told Emily the food court didn’t take credit cards.

Nitpick: I don’t know what Connecticut (where they lived) or California (where it was filmed) were like in the early 00s but the food courts at the malls in Tennessee (hometown) and Arizona (college) absolutely accepted cards back then so they should have let Emily pay.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Lorelai was always the richest poor person in the world

They really should have had Lorelai and Rory be thrift store experts. Madeleine was excited to buy vintage clothes back in season 1 and it could have been a bonding experience for Rory. Also the Kims had great antiques in their store so they could have written in a great consignment store so they could wear designer clothes. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

They really should have had Lorelai and Rory be thrift store experts. Madeleine was excited to buy vintage clothes back in season 1 and it could have been a bonding experience for Rory. Also the Kims had great antiques in their store so they could have written in a great consignment store so they could wear designer clothes. 

Excellent idea! Loreali had a ball with all the donations the town brought to he house for some charity thing they were doing, I would have thought she would have been the queen of consignment.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Excellent idea! Loreali had a ball with all the donations the town brought to he house for some charity thing they were doing, I would have thought she would have been the queen of consignment.

Same here. She really loved vintage clothes and t-shirts.  

(edited)
On 7/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, chessiegal said:

They never let reality get in the way of a storyline. The inconsistency can be annoying.

It really is. Especially when they make it a plot point. Lorelai should have had enough money to swing tuition in the first episode. She wanted Rory to go to Harvard for most if not all of Rory's life. They could have easily explained needing to borrow money from her parents by having a big unexpected expense come up with the house or jeep that Lorelai had to take money from Rory's Chilton/college fund to cover. Later with Lorelai unable to get a loan despite working at the same place for 15 years and in the last few years as manager. 

Exactly! And cash as she told Emily the food court didn’t take credit cards.

Nitpick: I don’t know what Connecticut (where they lived) or California (where it was filmed) were like in the early 00s but the food courts at the malls in Tennessee (hometown) and Arizona (college) absolutely accepted cards back then so they should have let Emily pay.

Yeah, that made no sense. That food court would have taken credit cards. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 3
On 7/29/2022 at 9:57 PM, scarynikki12 said:

This is a great idea! 
They knew their fashion, they loved shopping when there was no chance of running into Emily LOL. 
They would have known every vintage and thrift shop in the area. 

Including Anna's store.  (oh my!)

I can see it now:

Rory, look at this clown pillow! We have to get it.

Mom, it's creepy.

(Grin) Yes, and I love it! It's perfect for our humble abode in Stars Hollow.

Anna: You're from Stars Hollow? 

Why, yes we are. You know it?

Ex boyfriend. Do you know a Luke Danes? 
(6 year old April runs into the room)

😆

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, junienmomo said:

This is a great idea! 
They knew their fashion, they loved shopping when there was no chance of running into Emily LOL. 
They would have known every vintage and thrift shop in the area. 

Including Anna's store.  (oh my!)

I can see it now:

Rory, look at this clown pillow! We have to get it.

Mom, it's creepy.

(Grin) Yes, and I love it! It's perfect for our humble abode in Stars Hollow.

Anna: You're from Stars Hollow? 

Why, yes we are. You know it?

Ex boyfriend. Do you know a Luke Danes? 
(6 year old April runs into the room)

😆

image.png.64e7e44e7b3b0b10c3c599673eca2379.png

• LOL 4