Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Ben Drops Beats

• Start Topic

Yeah, I agree in theory.

But then I remember that nothing in this show is unscripted reality. Just my opinion.

Exactly. Anna may well be on the payroll as the person providing the teasers for future episodes -- to keep those rating ticking slowly up.

• Love 3

I wondered how they had what had to be a Christian ceremony while adhering to Indian traditions like Flame riding in on the horse?

Maybe he pretended to be St. George. He always comes in on a horse.

Seriously, in India there are so many cultural and religious traditions living cheek to jowl, not to mention those 330 million Hindu gods, that they're used to doing mashups.

Isn't part of the fun of having a tree house is building the tree house???? The kids should be building it not the adults!!!! They say they want the kids to get out of the house ...for what?? To put them in another house?

In this case, it may be to put them in a pile of rubble at the bottom of a small ravine.

• Love 6

In this case, it may be to put them in a pile of rubble at the bottom of a small ravine.

"Tragedy Stalks the Duggar Family" Cue Michelle dabbing eyes with hankie, JB meandering on about The Lord Giveth and Taketh complete with bizarrely inappropriate hyuk hyuk...

TLC would milk that shit for YEARS.

• Love 9

Old plan:

65x4j7.jpg

new plan:

mudi77.jpg

Looks a little top heavy. I can picture 1 of the 4 posts snapping and Jackson through to Josie falling to their doom. Or the wind blowing it over.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

Old plan:65x4j7.jpg

new plan:mudi77.jpg

Looks a little top heavy. I can picture 1 of the 4 posts snapping and Jackson through to Josie falling to their doom. Or the wind blowing it over.

But the Wayne man helping them declared a tornado couldn't topple this treehouse!

But the Wayne man helping them declared a tornado couldn't topple this treehouse!

Well, I hope he's right. I would actually assume that TLC doesn't want it to fall because of liability issues -- Boob would probably go after them big time, since it was certainly a producer-generated idea -- so I'd expect them to have hired somebody who knows about the construction of these things to supervise. .... And a lot of treehouses and treehouse lites like this do look precarious but apparently aren't.

• Love 2

Thank you Eminem Seewald. Your wife's a smug bitch...how about spitting THOSE bars. And don't we all, when meeting someone for lunch for the first time request for them to bring wedding photos? Sweet baby Jesus..these people are batshit crazy.

LOL!  More like M&M Seewald.

• Love 4

"Tragedy Stalks the Duggar Family" Cue Michelle dabbing eyes with hankie, JB meandering on about The Lord Giveth and Taketh complete with bizarrely inappropriate hyuk hyuk...

Yeah, the MOTY would be walking beside the stretcher smiling, recreating the scene with a big smile on her face. Just watched the orchestra pit clip haha. 

• Love 2

Aren't they in Guatemala though?

I guess we aren't sure. They move around the 'field' but Anna mentioned they were visiting them in El Salvador. 

Well, they do make a point of narrowing it down to CENTRAL AMERICA !!! Geez are they afraid that the stalkers will get them if they specify a country? 

More importantly, why do I care? It is just one more Duggar detail to irk me.

• Love 2

Well, they do make a point of narrowing it down to CENTRAL AMERICA !!! Geez are they afraid that the stalkers will get them if they specify a country? 

More importantly, why do I care? It is just one more Duggar detail to irk me.

It's to reinforce the 'danger' of the 'mission'. In an area prone to hostage taking, I think they would be valuable targets, but I believe they had footage of armed guards with them in those areas. Who knows. 

The footage we saw on this episode looked like they were driving around by themselves. The house they show, seems sort of isolated from the backyard, but could be skyscrapers in the front. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 1

I agree. Ben looked happy, and like he was having fun. Jessa, on the other hand, looked bored/uncomfortable/unhappy/whatever. the whole time they were in the studio. She was cringing when she heard Ben's rap; I actually felt bad for him -- she could have pasted on some fake adoration then.

Neither of them works, right? I don't understand how they have a relatively nice vehicle, and can afford to fly from here to here (and I agree with an earlier poster -- did they really need to fly there??? Couldn't they have driven???) with no visible means of income.

On an off note....Anna is almost unrecognizable to me these days.

I'm relatively new to this forum, so maybe this has been addressed, but I am curious -- why does the consensus seem to be that this family has no money? They have their own nationally televised TV show.

I'm relatively new to this forum, so maybe this has been addressed, but I am curious -- why does the consensus seem to be that this family has no money? They have their own nationally televised TV show.

They're rubes, not that smart that they'd hire someone to negotiate for them, and there's 20 plus of them.
  • Love 6

I think the general belief is that most of the money flows straight into Boob's LLC. I don't think Jana, Jinger and Joy get their own checks or even have their own bank accounts. No way a control freak like JimBlob would allow any measure of independence. Especially for the wimmin.

The adult marrieds likely get their own money, but I doubt it's anything crazy. In the 19K&C heyday, the family was pulling in 20k per episode. Now we're in a test season following the aftermath of two scandals. They're probably on a bare bones contract.

However this is just my two cents. I don't have any proof to back it up either way.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

I remember reading that it was more like $40K/episode. However, there were episodes that were Smuggar-centric, and we never found out how the money was divvied up for those episodes (that "thanked" the Smuggar family in the credits). Who knows what Benessa, Dill, and of course, Boob are being paid for a show that's woefully thin on advertising.

• Love 2

I think part of the "no money" idea that many of us have is more like "no money considering what they'll need money for in the future and how few ways they may have to earn it."

If, say, they're pulling in 40 k per episode for this series -- which was what was widely rumored for the old series -- it does have to be split up among the group of people who live in their own homes -- so Jessa and Bin, for example, might score, say, 20 k. But then that would be subject to taxation -- probably both income tax and self-employment tax? -- which woudl take a fair-sized chunk out. And it's still right-now money, going to people who don't appear to have much chance to earn a lot -- at least not immediately -- if and when the show ends.

I don't think most people see this series going on for more than two or three years. So in such a short time the young couples are not likely to have much saved (even if they're earning at the top end of what everybody imagines); they don't seem to have many concrete plans or to be making concrete preparations for the next income they'll need to keep supporting their families;

And, meanwhile, even though JB may keep collecting money, he also keeps collecting dependents without -- apparently -- getting many new sources of income. The Smuggs are both pretty much jobless and unemployable now -- with four kids and Anna most likely hoping for a quick fifth. As the numbers of dependents pile up everywhere, and nobody in the family apparently developing strong plans for earning money beyond this potentially kinda short-lived national tv show, the money they're getting seems inadequate to the long-term task. At least for me, this is the big reason why I feel they just don't have much money. (this and the fact that they spend so much of it at Starbucks and casual dining restaurants. lol)

• Love 11

I know I am in the minority, but I miss seeing MOTY and the Boob every week. Just looking into MOTY's eyes every week helped me gauge the crazy. And I miss Josh! I want this to be like "The Real Housewives of Fundieland." I want Anna to pull a Theresa Guidice and topple over a table filled with tater tot casserole. I want to see Anna rip into his ass and let his victims have their say, too. And I want to see Anna survive this, go to school, and get a job and not be dependent on these horrible people. I would at least settle for Anna getting a Xanax prescription. She is manic.

I haven't posted in a long time, but I've been reading! It's good to be back.

• Love 19

People, people, please... El Salvador or Guatemala? You're all wrong. Don't you watch the show?

Jim Bob clearly said they were OVERSEAS.

Guys, they are overseas in Central America.

You have to listen to Jim Bob carefully or you miss all this wisdom.

So like Easter Island?

• Love 7

Add to that some sort of funeral with the cardboard box or whatever they had with Jubilee.  I wouldn't put it past them.   'Cause it's all about the Binjermins, er Benjamins.  

• Love 2

Add to that some sort of funeral with the cardboard box or whatever they had with Jubilee.  I wouldn't put it past them.   'Cause it's all about the Binjermins, er Benjamins.  

No, not a cardboard box. An AMMO box. No freakin' lie.

• Love 8

No, not a cardboard box. An AMMO box. No freakin' lie.

I knew it was something stupid and inappropriate.  I just couldn't remember what is was.  An ammo box.  SMH at the stupidity of this family.

• Love 4

It was like a jewelry box inside an ammo box. Tasteless, and cheap, but not careless. Careless was burying her in a grave about a foot deep.

To be fair I think the grave was over another family member's...so it's not so careless, just practical.

Filming it was tacky, though.

• Love 2

As someone who lives 80% of the time in Guatemala (Central America, yall- lol), I laughed so hard at Jill's need for supplies. There are plenty of Walmarts and other places they can access cayenne, sleepers, etc from there, and if they are in El Salvador, there too!

Ugh, they make me mad!

• Love 11

It was like a jewelry box inside an ammo box. Tasteless, and cheap, but not careless. Careless was burying her in a grave about a foot deep.

OMG. Not THE jewelry box, was it? Or did Jana have to give up another one?

• Love 12

I think part of the "no money" idea that many of us have is more like "no money considering what they'll need money for in the future and how few ways they may have to earn it."

If, say, they're pulling in 40 k per episode for this series -- which was what was widely rumored for the old series -- it does have to be split up among the group of people who live in their own homes -- so Jessa and Bin, for example, might score, say, 20 k. But then that would be subject to taxation -- probably both income tax and self-employment tax? -- which woudl take a fair-sized chunk out. And it's still right-now money, going to people who don't appear to have much chance to earn a lot -- at least not immediately -- if and when the show ends.

I don't think most people see this series going on for more than two or three years. So in such a short time the young couples are not likely to have much saved (even if they're earning at the top end of what everybody imagines); they don't seem to have many concrete plans or to be making concrete preparations for the next income they'll need to keep supporting their families;

And, meanwhile, even though JB may keep collecting money, he also keeps collecting dependents without -- apparently -- getting many new sources of income. The Smuggs are both pretty much jobless and unemployable now -- with four kids and Anna most likely hoping for a quick fifth. As the numbers of dependents pile up everywhere, and nobody in the family apparently developing strong plans for earning money beyond this potentially kinda short-lived national tv show, the money they're getting seems inadequate to the long-term task. At least for me, this is the big reason why I feel they just don't have much money. (this and the fact that they spend so much of it at Starbucks and casual dining restaurants. lol)

Oops, responding in the, the, well whatever thread that pertains to income and such.

• Love 1

As someone who lives 80% of the time in Guatemala (Central America, yall- lol), I laughed so hard at Jill's need for supplies. There are plenty of Walmarts and other places they can access cayenne, sleepers, etc from there, and if they are in El Salvador, there too!

Ugh, they make me mad!

I think you need to make contact with Jill via skype and let her know this!

She is starving and Izzy is naked.

• Love 14

I could totally tell from the neighborhood (that there is no way they live in, but kept driving through for footage), that they are on Spring feast Island. 

This reminds me of the gaps in my Duggar knowledge. I watched the Autumn feast episode and was wondering what was up with not calling it "Thanksgiving".

Can anyone clarify? Thanks in advance :)

OMG I'm heading straight to hell but you're coming with me Koka! Your bitchiness and bluntness makes my day! Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 2

Just finished the episode. No shots of Jessa feeding Spurgie. Not a big deal, but surprised me none the less.

When they "surprised" Jill by Skype, she wore the breast feeding shield cover. So Jill's still nursing at a year. Jessa might be following Michelle's path by weaning early so as to increase her odds for another pregnancy. How will they afford more kids?

This reminds me of the gaps in my Duggar knowledge. I watched the Autumn feast episode and was wondering what was up with not calling it "Thanksgiving".

Can anyone clarify? Thanks in advance :)

It was filmed in early/mid-December when Spooge was about 6 weeks old. Their "feasts" never really correspond to the actual holidays.

• Love 1

Not that the Duggars have ever heard of him or any other rap/hip hop artists but THIS is how you do Christian rap right :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EItEuVpJTg

OMG. I've loved DC Talk since they sounded like this. http://youtu.be/0_glJpDycrE

I think Jessa picked bluegrass music because some of the Bates kids play/sing it.

She picked it because it's Gothard-approved. Gothard likes Bluegrass, so he has declared it "godly" enough for his followers to listen to. That's probably why the Bates play it, too.

• Love 2

This is by far the most interesting episode I've seen due to the inclusion of people outside the realm of the Duggars. That says a lot about the Duggars. Ben seemed to really enjoy himself while Jessa seemed to hate the recording session. TLC should have a reality show featuring Flame and occasionally feature Ben and Jessa. The notatreehouse segments are incredibly boring compared to the hip-hop segments. And please, TLC, find some way to get Ben to attempt to preach to inner-city folk. We would pay to watch that.

• Love 6

I got my WiFi and landline back yesterday after being down for five days. And I don't even live in Danger America. I mean, geez, panic ensues if a call doesn't go through when the producer says it's time to film scintillating conversation. Imagine if Muffy lived in a place with no WiFi at all. Like ever! Then, I might show some sympathy for some actual hardships. As it stands now, facetiming, steel appliances, and family shuttling back and forth on the regular, well, I find it hard to muster even the tiniest violin for her plight "on" the mission field.

I'm with ya there. You can't even Skype where I live. In Virginia...15 minutes from a major University. She has more amenities in CA than I do in the contiguous U.S.

• Love 6

IMO, if this show continues at the same rate - and quality level - it's been at until now, the whole deal is gone a year from now, tops. It all comes down to advertisers, which it supposedly doesn't even have NOW. Even the mentally-challenged TLC execs cannot ignore that forever.

• Love 6

I know I am in the minority, but I miss seeing MOTY and the Boob every week. Just looking into MOTY's eyes every week helped me gauge the crazy. And I miss Josh! I want this to be like "The Real Housewives of Fundieland." I want Anna to pull a Theresa Guidice and topple over a table filled with tater tot casserole. I want to see Anna rip into his ass and let his victims have their say, too. And I want to see Anna survive this, go to school, and get a job and not be dependent on these horrible people. I would at least settle for Anna getting a Xanax prescription. She is manic.

I haven't posted in a long time, but I've been reading! It's good to be back.

While I'd love to see some of the things you list here, I don't find myself missing either Duggar parent. AT ALL. In fact, I'm usually doing things in my dining room [where my desk is too] and find myself mostly just listening to Counting On. And I actually cringe when I first hear either Boob or Me-chelle's voices in the other room. Yuck.

• Love 3

IMO, if this show continues at the same rate - and quality level - it's been at until now, the whole deal is gone a year from now, tops. It all comes down to advertisers, which it supposedly doesn't even have NOW. Even the mentally-challenged TLC execs cannot ignore that forever.

I have a bad feeling that the poster who said TLC will make up for no advertisers by packing the shows before and after with ads is right.

Nancy's never letting go of this show; she's already shown she's all in no matter what. And my question remains: What scandal will be a "bridge too far" for TLC?

Plus, with all the Joshley Madison foreshadowing, they're building up to his reappearance. Can't wait to see how they'll pull it off. NOT.

• Love 7

Plus, with all the Joshley Madison foreshadowing, they're building up to his reappearance.

Ugh, you're right. These episodes feel like placeholders. They've been recycling the same footage, the same story lines and the same lame ass TH questions for five weeks now. Part of me wonders if TLC will really go there, but then I remember this is show business. Train wrecks bring the ratings, not frumpy Fundies building tree houses.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

There are only three more episodes left in this series, and they have probably already been filmed.

The viewer numbers are OK for the series to continue, but not if the advertising isn't profitable.  Keeping track of all the advertisers who don't want their ads to appear with the Duggars has to be a nightmare for TLC and something it has probably never encountered before.

I strongly suspect that TLC was in someway forced into doing this series from a prior contract.  TLC was in negotiations for an Amy spinoff and a Jill & Jessa spinoff when the 19 Kids and Counting show was canceled.  When the Josh scandals surfaced, Jim Bob stated publicly that the kids shouldn't be punished (by TLC) for what Josh did.  I think that the Jill/Jessa contract had already been signed and TLC had to go through with it for the Jessa birthing special and one season of the spinoff.  Nothing else explains the fact that the show is not about Jim Bob, Michelle, and the younger Duggar kids.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 5

I strongly suspect that TLC was in someway forced into doing this series from a prior contract.

This does not happen with TV shows particularly not low rent TLC shows.  The rest of TLC's line up is sinking to new lows on a regular basis.  They thought they could overcome the advertiser problem and it looks like they aren't being successful.  Performers can not force a network to air a show. 

• Love 3