Type keyword(s) to search

Grantchester in the Media: All the News You Can't Get from Mrs. Maguire

• Start Topic

IMO they shouldn't even try to recast Norton's Sidney.  Get a new actor playing a new Vicar - they can say Sidney has gone on sabbatical or something, don't kill him off, that would just be more stupid soap opera.  Keep the supporting cast but get rid off Geordie. Hire a new police man actor.  And concentrate more on the mysteries than on the characters personal lives from now on.

• Love 3

Yes, a new actor - the title of the series is Grantchester, not Sidney Chambers.  Keep the stories about Grantchester, Sidney leaves and a new vicar arrives, people expect him to solve mysteries the way Sidney did, so he keeps getting pulled into them.  I think it would work.  But I think they would need to keep Geordie and we could see his adjustment to a new vicar and to working with him instead of Sidney.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

But I think they would need to keep Geordie and we could see his adjustment to a new vicar and to working with him instead of Sidney.

But what are the chances the new vicar would have the incredible crime solving skills?  The whole thing would be a real stretch. And honestly, I really forget that the series was named after the town.  The town itself is rarely even mentioned.

The idea to replace Sidney with another sleuthing vicar sounds really odd. Runcie uses Death in Paradise as precedent but the main characters there were crime-solving professionals not amateurs befriending a crime-solving professional and then more or less stumbling along. (It's also a strange thing to suggest since book Sidney does not look like he's going anywhere soon. But then books and show just share the name and not much else anymore.)

The ratings seem good so I can see why TPTB want the show to continue but doing so without Norton would be very tricky. Apart from coming up with a halfway realistic scenario of another vicar with a taste for crimes (former DI who tries to find a new calling but has problems letting go - tricky because he can not be as young as Sidney) they would have to strike gold with the casting. I guess they're all praying that Norton does not receive a call from his agent containing the words 'Marvel' or 'DC', he!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But what are the chances the new vicar would have the incredible crime solving skills?

Make him a former cop who was driven to God by a terrible case.   I mean, sure it's silly to have another vicar with crime solving skills but it's a bit silly to begin with that we had one in the first place. Or that a priest ran around solving crimes in Father Dowling Mysteries.  Or that we had a mystery author solving murders wherever she went. Or that a kid of a cop can convince everyone he's psychic and solve mysteries.

But they could bring in someone else who solves murders as a hobby while they promote Leonard and have the three of them pal around.

As for Sydney, if he doesn't come back, they'll likely say he changed his mind and joined Amanda.

• Love 3

As for Sidney's "incredible crime solving skills", I don't see that they are so incredible.  As a vicar he is good at reading people, and understanding people, as another vicar might be.  But perhaps  I have not been paying enough attention lately, and missed the incredible things he has done.

Anyway, I am just trying to think of a way to keep the show going if Norton leaves.  I would rather have a show with a new vicar than no show at all.

Edited by treeofdreams

I would definitely still watch with a different main character.  I like Irlandesa's idea about a former cop who became a vicar.  Or, even an 'undercover' placement.  Sydney is lovely to look at, but I think the show could still go on.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:38 AM, fauntleroy said:

Is Kembleford biking distance from Grantchester? Perhaps Father Brown could do double duty, he might be happy to work with a policeman who appreciates his efforts for a change. 

I don't think Father Brown would be so willing to overlook Geordie's adulteries.

• Love 3
On 9/3/2017 at 10:27 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't think Father Brown would be so willing to overlook Geordie's adulteries.

I can see that causing a few immovable object (Geordie) vs. irresistible force (Father Brown) conversations. It could be very entertaining.

• Love 3

I'd be kinda fine with it ending how it did. I feel like they wrapped things up well enough. i'd honestly love for it to go out while sidney and amanda are officially over and him choosing the church over her. At least that'd make me content. Yes, i'm that petty.

Oh well, if it does come back i hope they retool it a bit. And if it doesn't i actually don't think i'll really miss it too much. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Oh well, if it does come back i hope they retool it a bit. And if it doesn't i actually don't think i'll really miss it too much. 

Agreed. Even though I liked almost nothing about the last season, I still felt compelled to watch. Hope watching.

If it's canceled, I wouldn't miss what it's become but remain nostalgic for early Sidney and Georgia dashing about being clever and solving village crimes.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5

I don't know how to feel about this. I was kind of happy with what we got as a kinda-finale. Haven't really liked the plot or most of the mains since season 1, and while I appreciated season 3 trying to do some course-correcting...I just don't know :/. If they try to mash sidney and amanda together again and force it on us, I'll probably bail.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3

Even though I had problems with Grantchester seasons 2 and 3 (and McMafia), anything that brings Norton to my TV screen is fine with me. No one looks better in a black vicar's suit. (Maybe they can do another season of Happy Valley, too.)

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, AllAboutMBTV said:

There's going to be a new vicar in the dog collar next summer.

Interesting, thanks! I won't be that sorry to see Sidney go, truth be told. His years of shenanigans and misery with Amanda have eroded my affection. However, if the new guy means Leonard is gone, I probably won't watch. Nope!

• Love 1

Hmmmph.  I love Leonard, Mrs. C. and Geordie, but Sidney was sort of the anchor for me.  I even thought his angst ridden relationship with Amanda was interesting.  I'll still watch of course.  I think the writing has been excellent.

• Love 1

Finally, an end to the Sidney/Amanda mess. I liked Tom Brittney in both Outlander and Call the Midwife, so I'm in. A fresh start could be good for the show. We'll see. Glad all the others are still on board, too.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2018 at 2:51 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

Even though I had problems with Grantchester seasons 2 and 3 (and McMafia), anything that brings Norton to my TV screen is fine with me. No one looks better in a black vicar's suit. (Maybe they can do another season of Happy Valley, too.)

No one looks better out of the black vicar's suit too. To take a dip in the shallow end of the pool, I totally swooned when he wore that black buttoned down he wore in 3.1. It makes me happy when Sidney is in an undershirt or shirtless.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:43 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

There's going to be a new vicar in the dog collar next summer.

Hopefully that means the end of Amanda. I really couldn't stand her and her tedious romance with Chambers.

I am willing to give the new actor a shot. More mystery and less cheating by Geordie on his wife, please.

• Love 4

It's hard to get excited when we won't see it for another year, and it will probably be another 6 episode season.  I'll have forgotten about it long before it comes back.  

Although I have to say:  THAT'S LEONARD?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

This was cute:

It was!  I do like seeing the behind-the-scenes clips.  I adore the Doc Martin ones, he is a polar opposite of his character when in real life.

• Love 1