Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

dcalley
  • Start Topic

As disappointed as I was that the murder was again a women in lurve, this episode had the edge I thought the first one lacked

Yes, I found this more interesting than the first episode, but  if there is an unmarried woman having an affair in the 3rd one, I'll know for sure she's the murderer. I love 'cozies' as much as the next person but I like mysteries to be more mysterious. This series appears to be more about a particular time and place more than anything else. I take it from the party scenes that Sidney and his sister are upper-class and well-educated but don't have any money?

Loved the disregard for things like lawful searches and chain of evidence that we take for granted today.

• Love 2

I am not British and I am having trouble with these class differences. Geordie is working class. But I too can not tell any difference between Sidney, his sister and Amanda and her family. Though obviously, both Sidney and his sister think there is a significant difference. Is it really all about money and the lack of?

I've already seen all six episodes and I enjoyed them very much and am looking forward to season 2. I watched for Robson Green because I loved him in "Wire in the Blood" and "Touching Evil" and he is just as good in this. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the actor playing the vicar (James Norton, who I've never seen before) is excellent as Sidney Chambers.

I'll be interested to see others thoughts on this one. I may do a re-watch since I'm sure I'll catch things I missed the first go round.

I love it so far.  Have you seen it in the UK? 

I looked up the actor playing sister's boyfriend.  I knew I had seen him somewhere.  He was in Silk, another show I loved.  I am eagerly awaiting season 2.

Edited by GussieK

I finally found this on On Demand. It wasn't under the "G" tv shows. It was tucked away under PBS, then under Specials. But well worth the hunt! I love cozy mysteries, whether they are TV or book form.

PBS lets you watch many shows on their website also.

• Love 1

Wasn't he the lawyer/love interest for Georgiana in Death Comes to Pemberley?

Yes that was it thanks! His hair seems redder in this and he is not quite so Saracen-esqe.

After this episode I got the impression that a big part of Amanda agreeing to marry Guy was because it's what her father wanted. It seems that her mother has died and she has two young brothers, so maybe she figures that she doesn't want to quarrel with her father and, of course, Sidney didn't ask. The father certainly made it plain to Sidney that he wasn't good enough, which I'm sure hasn't gone unnoticed by Sidney all these years.

I am really liking this series!

• Love 3

Is it wrong that I thought the curate, once shaven, was kind of a ringer for PeeWee Herman?

the murder was again a women in lurve,

I know. What's up with the Brits that they seem to find the affection of the Ladies so dangerous they have to constantly project them as being Murderesses?

• Love 4

I would be watching this show even if it wasn't good (which I think it is) just to ogle James Norton. He is a very handsome man.

I do believe that Sidney and his sister grew up on the poorer side of things because of the way Jen was teased even after school was done. I loved that the housekeeper got the gay curate assigned to Sidney's parish and that Sidney didn't blink because his sister was seeing a black man.

• Love 1
I'm confused by the difference between a vicar, curate, rector, reverend, priest and canon.

"Reverend" is a title. The rest are very generally different ranks of clergy.

Vicars and rectors are parish priests, so the most local. Curates are assistants, appointed by vicars and rectors.

A canon is similar to a Catholic monsignor, i.e., having some administrative duties over more than one parish.

Here's the Wiki article on how the Anglican Church organizes itself. Spoiler: It gets complicated.

I do believe that Sidney and his sister grew up on the poorer side of things because of the way Jen was teased even after school was done.

I think socially they might also be a rung or two below the others. In the '50s that was still important. You could be of high social standing but poor and still accepted, but if you were rich and of lower social standing, you were looked down on. Actively going after money being seen as grubby, and all that.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 7

The second episode was definitely better.  I'm really enjoying the friendship between Sidney and Geordie, a little prickly but still very comfortable.  The housekeeper is a hoot; but honey, no, Hottie Vicar DOESN'T need to put his shirt on, thank you very much!  And I found Amanda less unlikeable this time, maybe because of how clearly uncomfortable she was with how assholey her father and fiancee were being.

I wonder if maybe Sidney has a background similar to Hathaway from Lewis. His dad was a steward on a big estate, so he knew and was educated with the gentry, and was higher than middle class, but still far below his childhood friends in the long run.

Still living the show, but I could really do without the Amanda character. I despise the whole, "I love you, but I can't be with you! So I'm just going to string you along so you can be as miserable as I am!"

I'm hoping he kicks her to the curb and goes after the Widow Frau. I noticed that apparently he's keeping up with her, at least enough to know where she is. "Sly old dog," indeed!

• Love 5

I love it so far.  Have you seen it in the UK? 

No. I'm in the US. I'm glad so many like this show and I agree with a lot of the comments regarding Amanda and the German Widow. Of course, I loved the relationship between Geordie and Sidney. I agree that it was nice they had Georgie seeing the value of Sidney's help instead of constantly dismissing him. I hate that particular TV trope.

That's all I'm going to comment on though because I don't want to inadvertently give hints to how some of these plot lines play out and ruin it.

Edited by Desperately Random

I am really enjoying this show.  However, I now do not like Amanda at all.  Her response to Sydney "he asked me" just makes me see red.  I hate that response as it demonstrates that love, compatability, etc. are less important that being married.  I'm not going to endlessly go on about this, but it irks me so.

I like the other relationships, the scenery, etc.  I am growing to like the housekeeper more and more.  

• Love 1

No. I'm in the US. I'm glad so many like this show and I agree with a lot of the comments regarding Amanda and the German Widow. Of course, I loved the relationship between Geordie and Sidney. I agree that it was nice they had Georgie seeing the value of Sidney's help instead of constantly dismissing him. I hate that particular TV trope.

That's all I'm going to comment on though because I don't want to inadvertently give hints to how some of these plot lines play out and ruin it.

So how does one see these in advance in the U.S.?  Is it some bootleg download?  I wouldn't mind seeing Downton Abbey.

I finally got caught up with this, and I love it (even though it's not perfect). Like many have mentioned, I like cozy. I've been meaning to watch Happy Valley but have been avoiding it, because I sense that it's too rough for me, probably.

The red letters in the credits were Indian summer for ep. 1 and ep. 2 was a jazz musician's name I have since forgotten.

Love his housekeeper:  "She's wearing lipstick." 

And she's an equal-opportunity critic, complaining about (and getting rid of!) Leonard's mustache. I loved when he started looking through the papers in the woman's office, even though I don't think he knew what he was looking for. I was fully expecting to be annoyed by him and am so happy to be wrong!

I like that a lot, too. He recovered quickly when he was asked if he were a virgin (and even made a little joke about it), and he didn't slut shame his sister for spending the night with Jimmy.

(That's Johnny--Johnny Johnson. I remember it because one of the characters said it was a stupid name, heh.) And Sidney also doesn't seem to care if Leonard's a (to use Geordie's word) "pansy."

I briefly wondered if Amanda's father was saying she was pregnant. At the end I expected Amanda or Sidney to acknowledge that by saying "he'll make a good father," but they didn't. And because no one else has mentioned that suspicion, I guess I was imagining things. Amanda's father did say she would be keeping her job, which is nice. What is her job, though? I certainly hope we won't be seeing her in every episode.

Amanda's father did say she would be keeping her job, which is nice. What is her job, though? I certainly hope we won't be seeing her in every episode.

He said that Amanda's future husband was "allowing" her to keep her job.  Indeed what a prince... I don't think they have mentioned what her job is.

Compare the fiance to Sidney and his moral code clearly established in just 2 episodes and the fiance looks especially bad. Though I believe Amanda would make a better rich jerk  wife than a progressive vicar wife. I just don't like this "poor little rich girl" all that much. Lots of young women during that time period would have loved to have her problems.

• Love 2

I had trouble keeping track of who was who in the second episode. Can someone quickly recap what the long term characters did? In particular, I gather Amanda is the name of the girl who was hanging out with our main character all the time but is now getting married. What did her fiancé do? Was he mean about the theft? And the main character (what is his name?)'s sister had the black boyfriend - what are their names? Was his sister the one getting made fun of about her clothes back at school, or was that someone else?

I like the general tone but somehow half the main characters are indistinguishable for me.

Re: Amanda and "he asked" as the reason she's marrying Guy and not Sidney- while that might be factual, it's unfair for her to put it like that. They've given us no reason to think she's stupid or ignorant, so she knows, she has to know, that Sidney was never in a position to ask. Look at how quickly her father puts him in his place when he arrives at the engagement party, as "someone to say grace." Sidney's the help (albeit of a rather more exalted variety). Their every interaction (her father and Sidney, I mean) firmly establishes that Sidney is a social inferior tolerated only because of Amanda's whimsical attachment. Sidney's allowed into their world, but it isn't truly his own. And Amanda's father has already shown him the door, essentially, by pointing out that her marriage means Sidney's reason for hanging around will be gone. Based on his expression, Sidney definitely got the message. Both Amanda and Sidney know that she could never have accepted any proposal he would have made without defying the full weight of her father's disapproval (and probably being disowned), and they're also both clearly aware that she's not that kind of girl. Implying otherwise is just being cruel.

Though not as much her actions in the preview for next week. Jesus, Amanda! I want to like you, but you make it hard.

Edited by justjoan
  • Love 7

I'm watching episode 3 on pbs right now...no comments On the story, but I'm just bugged by the star...Sydney. I know he is cute, but he has such a strange affect to him on this show, I feel no sincerity in his character at all. Something just really bugs about him. I don't believe Him at all when he talks about faith and all that stuff, He doesn't seem engaged with the people around him.

What am I missing, I wonder...

• Love 1

I like the character a lot.  I think you can either relate to someone or you don't.  There is really no explaining it to someone else.  He seems to have turned to religion because of guilt (I think) because he has a silver star and maybe others don't or ended up dead. 

I do with wish they would touch up his hair, though.  He's supposed to have red hair and I was continually distracted with the darker roots.  Episode 3 was pretty good.  It was fairly obvious that older gentleman was really the father. 

They did catch me by surprise that it was the Doc who killed both women.  You could sympathize with the (almost) mercy killing at the end because the guy was begging for it but I didn't think either of the sisters asked to be put out of their misery.  So the resolution seemed a bit contrived, in my opinion.

• Love 5

I don't believe Him at all when he talks about faith and all that stuff, He doesn't seem engaged with the people around him.

I really like Sidney, but I still agree with this. I hope we hear more about why he entered Holy Orders, because I get the impression it was a practical choice, not a "calling". And while he seems to want to do the right thing, he's far more engaged in every other facet of his life.

Hildegarde! I loved that he made a conscious choice to move on to possible happiness

While I was waiting for this new episode I was telling myself I should make an effort and like Amanda better. But she is making it impossible for me. When you know that someone is in love with you but you have chosen someone else it is cruel to continue to insert yourself into his life, and be all chummy, chummy. And Sidney of all people should not have to be the one to perform the marriage ceremony.

The episode was kind of a downer all around, what with the case and Sidney's state of mind. Once again I did not guess who the murderer was - who gave me the creeps big time when revealed.

One thing this show is very good at is to show the small human kindnesses the characters show each other in every episode.

I was glad to see at the end Sidney at least trying to move on by writing to Hildegarde. And of course quite of bit of Dickens!

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2

I didn't think either of the sisters asked to be put out of their misery

Yeah, it seemed to me that Rose (to me Jean Marsh is always Rose no matter what other character she is playing) would have liked to have stayed around just to continue to be cruel to her daughter.

And Sidney of all people should not have to be the one to perform the marriage ceremony.

It seemed to be the finance's idea and she probably couldn't figure out how to explain why it was such a bad idea.

• Love 1

Yeah, it seemed to me that Rose (to me Jean Marsh is always Rose no matter what other character she is playing) would have liked to have stayed around just to continue to be cruel to her daughter.

Heh.  But I don't think she meant to be cruel for the sake of cruelty; I think she actually did care for her daughter even if she did a piss-poor job of showing it.  I do hope the father and daughter can develop a good relationship, and I hope her own child can bring her happiness. And speaking of the father, I was surprised at how forgiving the housekeeper (I forget her name) was of him, given her general approach to life and human frailty.

I thought the way they portrayed the doctor was interesting -- he was so utterly sure of the correctness of what he did. I (and apparently Sidney and Geordie) thought what he did was wrong, but he will never think so.

Ugh, Amanda.  I know to be careful to judge her by today's standards, and her unwillingness to rebel against her father/class/expectations is understandable, but she needs to commit to her decision.  Stringing Sidney along, involving him in the wedding, and ignoring how he might feel about all this is cruel and selfish.

Poor Sidney; everyone makes cutting comments about how he can't understand love.

• Love 4

I really like Sidney, but I still agree with this. I hope we hear more about why he entered Holy Orders, because I get the impression it was a practical choice, not a "calling". And while he seems to want to do the right thing, he's far more engaged in every other facet of his life.Hildegarde! I loved that he made a conscious choice to move on to possible happiness

That could be what I'm seeing - he did this out of guilt from the war, maybe? I don't hate the actor or anything and he is handsome. It could be the conscious decision of the director & actor, to play it this way - maybe he is doing this to atone.

• Love 2
(edited)

Red letters: Felicific calculus

They did catch me by surprise that it was the Doc who killed both women.  You could sympathize with the (almost) mercy killing at the end because the guy was begging for it but I didn't think either of the sisters asked to be put out of their misery.  So the resolution seemed a bit contrived, in my opinion.

Yes, I was confused about whether the sisters asked the doctor to kill them or not. The second one to die didn't seem that unhealthy yet.

Ah well. It was nice to see more Dickens. I'm still liking Leonard. His reaction to getting a simple old threadbare quilt makes me wonder about his past.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

When the credits roll, most of the data is in white against a grey/black background. Some letters are in red, which when taken in order, spell something pertinent.

Boy, do I feel stupid.  Have to admit ignorance.  Thanks for the explanation.

It's a little Easter egg that PBS adds to its Mystery shows. (Tina Belcher saying "non-canonical!" is running through my head right now.)

Thank you!

It seemed to be the finance's idea and she probably couldn't figure out how to explain why it was such a bad idea.

Enh. I doubt this. As clever as she is, I doubt this is the first time she's had to juggle different people with crushes on her and I would expect her to be better at it. Unless Guy Knows All and is doing this deliberately to rub her nose in it. Which wouldn't surprise me. But yes, she should have cut the string a long time ago, since their money and social problems didn't just spring up over night. She's known all along that wasn't going to marry him. (And in fairness, I don't think she's a good choice for a vicar's wife, even aside from everything else.)

And by "everything else", I mean, the money. If Sidney had a pile, there wouldn't be any social problem that couldn't be overcome. He went to Cambridge and he's reasonably presentable. I thought Amanda's dad's conversation with Sidney was his making it clear that Amanda was marrying Guy for her brothers' sake. They're going to be heading off to school soon and Amanda is just the latest in a long line of English women expected to marry someone who can shoulder the school fees.

I'm watching episode 3 on pbs right now...no comments On the story, but I'm just bugged by the star...Sydney. I know he is cute, but he has such a strange affect to him on this show, I feel no sincerity in his character at all. Something just really bugs about him. I don't believe Him at all when he talks about faith and all that stuff, He doesn't seem engaged with the people around him.

What am I missing, I wonder...

See - I disagree with this. I think Sidney is the most natural priest I've seen on tv this side of Father Mulchahey. As he told his new curate this week - being engaged with the people around him is really what being a parish priest is all about. (Of course, in England that includes solving mysteries. Nobody fights more crime than a British Vicar. ;) )

He may have joined the Church out of guilt, I don't know .. although come to think of it, his degree would have had to be in something appropriate for Divinity school ... but I think he's found his Calling.

• Love 4
Yes, I was confused about whether the sisters asked the doctor to kill them or not. The second one to die didn't seem that unhealthy yet.

I couldn't figure that out either.  No struggle, so maybe they did want to end their suffering.

(edited)

I'm already a little hazy on the details, having watched this a whopping few days ago, but the lack of signs of struggle didn't confuse me because the man was their doctor (right?), so they allowed him in to treat them. I just wasn't sure if the doctor was following their wishes to die (as with the male patient) or murdering them. Of course, in the eyes of the law it doesn't matter.

Edited by dcalley

Enh. I doubt this. As clever as she is, I doubt this is the first time she's had to juggle different people with crushes on her and I would expect her to be better at it. Unless Guy Knows All and is doing this deliberately to rub her nose in it. Which wouldn't surprise me. But yes, she should have cut the string a long time ago, since their money and social problems didn't just spring up over night. She's known all along that wasn't going to marry him. (And in fairness, I don't think she's a good choice for a vicar's wife, even aside from everything else.)

And by "everything else", I mean, the money. If Sidney had a pile, there wouldn't be any social problem that couldn't be overcome. He went to Cambridge and he's reasonably presentable. I thought Amanda's dad's conversation with Sidney was his making it clear that Amanda was marrying Guy for her brothers' sake. They're going to be heading off to school soon and Amanda is just the latest in a long line of English women expected to marry someone who can shoulder the school fees.

See - I disagree with this. I think Sidney is the most natural priest I've seen on tv this side of Father Mulchahey. As he told his new curate this week - being engaged with the people around him is really what being a parish priest is all about. (Of course, in England that includes solving mysteries. Nobody fights more crime than a British Vicar. ;) )

He may have joined the Church out of guilt, I don't know .. although come to think of it, his degree would have had to be in something appropriate for Divinity school ... but I think he's found his Calling.

I agree with the guilt thing taking into account his battlefield flashbacks. There also seemed to be some ambivalence in his discussion with Geordie at the pub regarding mercy killing and war killing. 

There also seemed to be some ambivalence in his discussion with Geordie at the pub regarding mercy killing and war killing.

(They were in Geordie's office, not a pub.) The old man at the end seemed to want to die, but we don't know if the doctor influenced him (and the others). But from what the doctor said, it didn't seem as if he were making the decision for the patients.

I don't know why the daughter asked Sydney what he knows of love. He's Anglican, not Catholic, and aside from that, he's not that young.

We don't know all that much about Amanda, but she doesn't seem to have much strength of character if she's marrying a man she's not really in love with.