Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: The Live Playoffs, Night 1

• Start Topic

Horrible song choice by Alisan.  Horrible.

Strongly disagree! I'm one that saw her youtube video she was referring to in her package and I've wanted her to do it on the show ever since! It was the perfect choice IMHO.

• Love 5

I didn't like Natural Woman by Kata Hay. Just too much, too over the top with the yelling. Sometimes the coaches tell the singers to dial it back, and build intensity. I guess nobody told her.

Yup. It's like she's singing Artificial Woman.

• Love 5

I really, really, really liked Bryan Bautista tonight. That was ummm...... nice.

I liked him too! My husband and I have this guilty pleasure of watching "Catfish" both of us were saying he's the the type of hottie that someone would use his picture as a front. lol  the old "I'm a Model" approach. He made sure to let Carson know he had a girlfriend tonight. I wonder what conversations he and the girlfriend have been having since the show started lol

• Love 1

For now:

33 Alisan Porter Cry Baby (The Voice Performance)
46 Adam Wakefield Seven Spanish Angels (The Voice Performance)
54 Nick Hagelin Stay (The Voice Performance)
66 Bryan Bautista Pillowtalk (The Voice Performance)
106 Katie Basden Georgia Rain (The Voice Performance)
110 Ryan Quinn I'm Not the Only One (The Voice Performance)
113 Joe Maye Long Train Runnin' (The Voice Performance)
129 Mary Sarah (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden (The Voice Performance)
149 Kata Hay (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (The Voice Performance)
187 Justin Whisnant Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares) (The Voice Performance)

• Love 1

Christina has all her chips on Alisan it seems.

I like Mary Sarah, but I didn't think it was that a great version of Rose Garden, think she should have went with some other country song to belt. Maybe a Sara Evan song?

Bryan is the only one I missed, what did he sing?

I enjoyed Joe Mae. I was thinking after his performance,maybe Christina regretted not holding on to him.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

I remember thinking, even though they are perceived weaker....I was more interested in Team Adam and Pharrell. I seriously hope that ends up being right because tonight had very little juice IMO.

Pretty sure we are halfway to matching last season, with absolutely none of the coach bring backs being consequential at all.

Thought Adam and Bryan won the night (still refusing to listen to Alisan). Adam still has to work on his diction though....a lot of that song was again, unintelligible. 2nd best on Team Blake probably would be Katie.....although I fully expect to Mary Sarah to get voted through. Katie has to be a strong choice to get Blake's save. 

Tamar whiffed big time....some of that Rise Up was rough. Kata wasn't much better. So Christina very well may end up making a decision on her save between Ryan (her steal) and Nick (her bring back). I wasn't blown away by Ryan.....but it was pretty good. I think she'd lean in his direction.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Some horrible song choices tonight.

I didn't see Justin until 2nite, and man I loved it! I dislike Country, too. I'm picking him over Adam for Blake's team.

Terrible advice by Xtina to have Tamar go high. She was straining. She started out subtly, then rose to that level beyond her training and ruined it.

Ryan was more connected to the song tonight, I thought. Nick was still boring.

Brian B. was better than his knockout. And I thank God Blake didn't bring back Peyton.

Alisan was great, but Karise Eden does a better Janis Joplin.

• Love 1

IMO this was one of the worst first live show I have seen in quite a while. I'm pretty much going in with no actual favorite because I haven't been able to stay interested long enough to actually watch a full episode. From what I have been able to see up until now, is that this season it is being telegraphed from outer space that Christina will win and be the first female coach to win The Voice come hell or high water. I don't think I may be able to make it through the rest of the season; pending the performances tomorrow night.  

If I never hear Natural Woman again it will be too soon. I used to love that song. Until it started being screamed at me starting with K Clarkson (who is one of my fave Idol contestants) to whoever performed it tonight. I don't remember who the last performer was tonight, but she needs to step completely away from the Janis Joplin songbook forever. Blech! If you don't have the natural grit in your voice, then leave her songs alone. Period! I'm having Cassidy Pope(sp) flashbacks with her. So I'm assuming she already has this season won which is already a turn off for me. Fingers crossed there will be better performances tomorrow night, or this will be the first time I will be checking out completely from The Voice. 

• Love 6

I have a premonition that they'll never give Adam Wakefield a good performance slot because they want Alisan/Xtina to win so badly, but he'll at least make the finals anyway. Like the Swons - producers had them be the first to finish up during quarterfinals, during semifinals, AND during finals. 

• Love 2

Strongly disagree! I'm one that saw her youtube video she was referring to in her package and I've wanted her to do it on the show ever since! It was the perfect choice IMHO.

I give Alisan credit for singing a Joplin song not named Me and Bobby McGee or Piece of my Heart

• Love 5

For now:

66 Bryan Bautista Pillowtalk (The Voice Performance)

106 Katie Basden Georgia Rain (The Voice Performance)

110 Ryan Quinn I'm Not the Only One (The Voice Performance)

113 Joe Maye Long Train Runnin' (The Voice Performance)

129 Mary Sarah (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden (The Voice Performance)

149 Kata Hay (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (The Voice Performance)

187 Justin Whisnant Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares) (The Voice Performance)

Thanks so much for this. Great to see the song list as there were several I didn't know. 

I'm surprised Alisan is doing so well. Not that it wasn't good, but it's just so overwrought (and not Janis). [[but, ETA, kathyk24, you're right that at least it wasn't "Bobby McGee" or "Pieces of.."] 

This week just like the last time Alisan performed, I wished she'd go back to something like she did with "Blue Bayou". She did so much with that that didn't sound like anyone else, not even Linda Ronstadt. But I guess--especially on Team Christina--that kind of delicacy isn't possible any more.

I know they're trying hard for a Christina/Alisan win, but I won't be surprised if she goes the way of Matthew Schuler (whom I, frankly, liked a lot more). We'll see. Meanwhile: I think Xtina will move forward with Alisan, Bryan and Ryan as the save.

Adam Wakefield is still my favorite and I liked how he was helped by a bit of Willie Nelson-style guitar accompaniment in the background.  I liked Mary Sarah at the blinds, but never since and I think it's her taste in songs. I like vintage, but ones with more grit and less treacle. Then she sings them in a chirpy, sappy way, too.

I think Blake will save her over Katie who Pharrell and Adam and Blake all seemed to suggest just wasn't good looking enough. And it's true she looks about 40, but I still think she deserves to advance--for her vocal--over Mary Sarah.  Also, I thought Pharrell's questioning of her after she sang was rude, not helpful. If she had any self-esteem issues,, I don't think that would have helped them.  In fact, Pharrell often didn't seem very complimentary overall tonight to me, although I wondered if all the yelling from Xtina's team was getting to him (it was getting to me).

I'm guessing Team Blake will be Adam, Joe and Katie. (No, not really. That would be my choices. I think the audience will vote Adam and Mary Sarah in and Blake will maybe save Joe, just so it's not an all country team and to kind of guarantee the other two will last longer.

Pharrell and Adam have the weaker teams to me, but song choice can mean a lot, and I think--if memory serves--there's more variety in their singing styles so it might actually be better than tonight. I didn't think this was bad, as much as it was so often just not my taste. Hopefully tomorrow will be better..

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

Well, that was... live?

My picks for Blake's team would be no one anyone else would pick: I'd go with Joe, Paxton and Justin. Seriously. I think Adam has super lazy diction and it pisses me off. If I hadn't known the words to that song, I wouldn't have known half of what he was saying. Also, I'm super over that almost mullet, scraggly "country" long hair. Stop it. Mary Sarah totally underwhelmed me, but I might not be the most objective because I HATE that song. She's adorable, but she didn't sing well, ran out of breath and chose a country song that no one really cares to ever hear remade. One last thing to add about Blake's team: every freaking year, he says someone is like Travis Tritt and I have yet to hear anyone on this show that sounds even remotely like Travis. Not Craig Wayne Boyd, and not Justin. Just because you sing his song, doesn't mean you sound like him. Having said that, I still prefer Justin to Adam. That lack of pronunciation thing is a deal breaker for me.

On to Christina: I thought the star was arguably Bryan. He's got star power and he's a joy to look at, so go Brian. Nick was so happy to be back that I was happy FOR him. I don't think he'll advance, but at least he got another performance and his little guy got to come back, too. Alisan could sing Baa Baa Black Sheep at this point and everyone will lose their shit. I think she's good but I don't really know many people who can sing Janis. Janis is hard, y'all. At any rate, I wish she'd quit wearing leather shorts, and I wish she'd sing something that measures up to Blue Bayou. I know she's got it in her. I am NOT so sure that she's the pre-ordained winner anymore. I mean, she probably IS, but I could see Bryan and Joe Maye giving her a run for her money. I have no idea which 3rd person will go through for her.

Finally, what in the pixellated fuck is Pharrell smoking?? First, there was that interrogation of Katie, which, yes, I agree with whoever said it above, came across as rude and patronizing. What the hell? Then there was other the other weird crap. I'm thinking Pharrell speaks in some kind of too cool for people not born on Mars lingo that only cartoon dogs can hear???? I had no idea what he was talking about half the time and the rest of the time, I was thanking gods he is taking a season off. I can only do so much googling for shit in urban dictionary before I get weary. Can't wait to see what kind of comments he has for his OWN team tomorrow night.

• Love 10

Alisan could sing Baa Baa Black Sheep at this point and everyone will lose their shit. I think she's good but I don't really know many people who can sing Janis. Janis is hard, y'all. At any rate, I wish she'd quit wearing leather shorts, and I wish she'd sing something that measures up to Blue Bayou.

i agree with other posters that it was cool she did a relatively little known Janis song. But it also showed the dangers of doing Janis. Listen to the original, and you hear Janis convey such emotional depth, for the most part without any of the growls or shouts her imitators use. And when Janis did go big with her voice, she built up to it, sometimes from almost a whisper. Tonight, Alisan was all dialed up to 10, and I never felt that she "got" the song, or conveyed any real emotion. It's the pitfall of the kind of singing that coach Christina likes, and when she has a singer with a lot of range she brings out their worst excesses. (Like with Tamar tonight also.).

And I agree about the leather shorts. Alisan is not 18. Not saying that because she's "older" and a mother she should be wearing a pants suit from the Hillary Clinton Collection. But that outfit was not flattering and felt like an attention getting device she doesn't need.

Mary Sarah is my guilty pleasure. No, it was not a great performance tonight, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.

I liked Joe Maye too. Unlike many Voice singers who dance around the stage, he never got winded, and the movement didn't hurt his singing. Like Blake said, he's a real entertainer. I hope he survives this round, because I could see him not getting enough votes and then Blake using his save on one of his country singers. Which has always been his pattern.

Based on those early download numbers, I guess I'm out of touch, because in the country category, I actually liked Justin more than Adam. Clearly Justin will be going back home, again, but at least he got one more national TV appearance.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

For now:

Seriously? That was the worst performance of Stay I've ever heard. It was a really different melody from the original, which might not have bothered me as much if Nick hadn't also done his Way Too Much Falsetto Thing. I can't imagine listening to that and thinking, "I must buy this version of Stay on iTunes!" (I know, I know. Music is a very personal thing.)

I feel kind of bad posting this, but I was underwhelmed by many of the performances tonight. Alisan bored me. Tamar was pitchy. Mary Sarah apparently only sings songs older than I am (but if you've seen enough Lawrence Welk show in your life, you know them). Paxton's song choice was hideously repetitive. Kata still strikes me as a great karaoke singer who seriously needs to drink less Mt Dew. Justin competently did my favorite Travis Tritt song, but didn't blow me away. I pretty much forgot Katie as soon as she finished singing. Ryan connected better than other times and pulled the boring white guy going for the music nerd heartthrob look, so I fully expect him to get voted through.

My favorite performance was by Bryan. I thought he was interesting without oversinging or using too many gimmicks (or too much falsetto). I was also really pleasantly surprised by Joe's performance. I liked Adam, but as others have said, his enunciation needs work.

I hate sounding so negative as they could all clearly outsing me, but I was simply expecting performances that resonated more with me. Hopefully Tuesday night will be better.

• Love 6

I thought it was a fairly good show.  Most people brought it to at least some degree and there were only three clearly deficient performances.  Unfortunately, two of them were given by early favorites Mary Sarah and Tamar Davis.  Mary was a complete mess, repeatedly pitchy, with a flat trembling lower register.  Plus she failed to land the big note at the end.  Tamar tried to get too fancy and in doing so lost what makes that song special.  The third worst performance of the evening for me was Nick Hagelin.  I agree with simplyme that it may just have been the worst cover of Stay I've heard on one of these shows.

My three favorite performances of the night were given by Bryan Bautista, Joe Maye and Alisan Porter (in that order).  For the second week in a row I thought Bryan lapped the field and he just may be my favorite at this point, along with maybe Hannah.   Joe was impressive in the way he was able to maintain his vocals while doing all that dancing.  I also liked the choices he made with the song.  As for Alisan, while she might not be able to bring the grit that Janis Joplin brought to that song, her vocal performance was truly impressive.  I would rate this as her second best of the season after The River (I was not a big fan of Blue Bayou).

Of the rest, I though Katie's vocals were just beautiful.  While the same certainly can't be said about Kata, I do think she puts more guts into her performances than any three other contestants combined and I was thoroughly entertained.  I was also entertained by Paxton, but he suffers in comparison to Joe when it comes to vocals. 

I have no idea why Ryan got a standing ovation as I thought this was actually his most uneven vocal performance yet.  There were even times when he ended up getting propped up by the background singers.  What I will give him is that he showed more emotional connection to the song than he did with Drops of Jupiter.

I wasn't blown away by either of the male country singers as they both put on paint by numbers performances.  But I would give the edge to Adam over Justin because he does have a great voice.

My personal ranking of the performances by team:

Team Christina:

1. Bryan Bautista

2. Alisan Porter

3. Kata Hay

4. Ryan Quinn

5. Tamar Davis

6. Nick Langelin

Team Blake

1. Joe Maye

2. Adam Wakefield

3. Katie Basden

4. Paxton

5. Justin Whisnant

6. Mary Sarah

My best guess at who will actually go through to the Top 12 are Alisan, Bryan and Ryan on Team Christina, though I'm worried about Nick making it based on his iTunes ranking (I have no idea who could possibly want to purchase this version of that song, but there you go).

On Team Blake, my guess is that it will be Adam, Mary Sarah and Joe.  If I'm correct, I will be most disappointed at losing Katie, who at this point I think deserves it more than Mary Sarah and who I think has been the better of the two in every round except the Blind Audition.  Katie is higher than Mary Sarah on iTunes right now, so I guess there's still hope.

• Love 3

Didn't Christina have Jacquie Lee sing Cry Baby as well? I hate when coaches use the same songs over again. I agree with most of what has already been said. I don't love Alison, but I think she's going through (they already gave her the pimp spot again) and Brian will also be voted in. That leaves me unsure who she will put through, I wasn't in love with any of the rest of her team, so who knows. Probably Ryan or Nick most likely, I would think she would want to clear the path for her chosen belting diva which means that she wouldn't advance Tamar.

As for Blake, I think his plan is advance one female country singer (Mary Sarah) and one male country singer (Adam) and one R & B/Pop singer (Joe). Now those numbers make it very interesting, what does he do if Katie advances over Mary Sarah, who I believe is his preferred female. I agree that Mary Sarah's performance was not remotely her best last night, but I do still like her voice. Adam, man the failure to enunciate issues are going to drive me crazy, but I could see him riding the Chris Stapleton wave to the finals (I'm not saying he holds a candle to Chris Stapleton by the way). As for the third spot, I found Joe one of the most entertaining performers last night and I hope he gets through, we need someone to liven up these performance shows.

• Love 2

I have a premonition that they'll never give Adam Wakefield a good performance slot because they want Alisan/Xtina to win so badly, but he'll at least make the finals anyway. Like the Swons - producers had them be the first to finish up during quarterfinals, during semifinals, AND during finals.

Lordy, don't remind me of those hacks. I swear country artists do well on this show just by being country artists. The bar is so much lower for them. Only one of them can even sing well. Crazy.

This is another season where there are more talented women and they will get eliminated over some mediocre men. This show has been so Idolized -boring old song choices, mediocre men.

The ITunes chart at noon EDT:

12 Alisan Porter Cry Baby (The Voice Performance)
27 Nick Hagelin Stay (The Voice Performance)

30 Adam Wakefield Seven Spanish Angels (The Voice Performance)
38 Bryan Bautista Pillowtalk (The Voice Performance)
58 Ryan Quinn I'm Not the Only One (The Voice Performance)

59 Katie Basden Georgia Rain (The Voice Performance)
65 Joe Maye Long Train Runnin' (The Voice Performance)
68 Mary Sarah (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden (The Voice Performance)
81 Kata Hay (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (The Voice Performance)

Justin, Paxton and Tamar did not make the Top 100.

Team Christina certainly sold a lot more downloads than Team Blake, but I remain completely baffled at Nick being all the way up there in second place.  I just hope Bryan got more votes.

• Love 3

Finally, what in the pixellated fuck is Pharrell smoking?? First, there was that interrogation of Katie, which, yes, I agree with whoever said it above, came across as rude and patronizing. What the hell? Then there was other the other weird crap. I'm thinking Pharrell speaks in some kind of too cool for people not born on Mars lingo that only cartoon dogs can hear???? I had no idea what he was talking about half the time and the rest of the time, I was thanking gods he is taking a season off. I can only do so much googling for shit in urban dictionary before I get weary. Can't wait to see what kind of comments he has for his OWN team tomorrow night.

I wanted this quote to have its own spotlight. I wish I could give it/you all the internet cookies in the world, or whatever it is people award for such awesomeness these days lol. Thank you for making my day. 

• Love 3

If I never hear Natural Woman again it will be too soon. I used to love that song. Until it started being screamed at me starting with K Clarkson (who is one of my fave Idol contestants) to whoever performed it tonight. I don't remember who the last performer was tonight, but she needs to step completely away from the Janis Joplin songbook forever. Blech! If you don't have the natural grit in your voice, then leave her songs alone. Period! I'm having Cassidy Pope(sp) flashbacks with her. So I'm assuming she already has this season won which is already a turn off for me. Fingers crossed there will be better performances tomorrow night, or this will be the first time I will be checking out completely from The Voice. 

its a beautiful song - check out the way it's SUPPOSED to be sung!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyvYnkdEcc

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

If you're ranking on "how likely to win," then I don't have an opinion. America voting? Never less than a letdown.

If you were ranking on talent, however, I'd argue Adam Wakefield should be near the top. No, he's not going to win the votes of America's teenage girls, but the man's an artist, vocally and on guitar.

Team Christina certainly sold a lot more downloads than Team Blake, but I remain completely baffled at Nick being all the way up there in second place.  I just hope Bryan got more votes.

There's definitely some merit in using familiar/overused songs (aka warhorse in the figure skating world), as long as you don't butcher it like Kata did with hers.

It takes a special performance for me to like a song I've never heard before.... like Bo Bice with Whipping Post, Elliot Yamin with Moody's Mood for Love. Joe may have done well, but the melody of the song did not grab me and neither did the performance.

But what's worse than someone not liking the song or performance? Them forgetting it. For this playoffs, maybe it's better to be subpar than forgettable.

Edited by rollerblade

Was nice to see Justin again. Sadly, that wasn't memorable enough to get the votes he would need to advance. I dig his whole hipster country thing which is odd considering I don't like country or hipsters. It probably has more to do with how good he makes a pair of pants look. I could watch him walk away all day.

Katie is really good. She sounds a lot like Carrie underwood. Again, not a style I like but you have to recognize talent. I'd say she's much better than Mary Sarah but doubt she'd get chosen over her. Adam, even though having a far superior voice, personality and general demeanor, is getting dangerously close to Barrett Baber territory with us never understanding what he's saying. That gets old quickly. Hopefully he can work on that better because after being called out on it I still couldn't understand him. Great voice tho.

Nick is like the leftover guy from the boy band era that didn't get the memo that it's over. He's not good. At all.

Bryan is awesome. He is the best of the 3 r&b guys and will be the only one standing after the next round(from Monday's show) unless Joe beats out Katie which should not happen. Or if Katie beats out Mary Sarah which probably won't happen.

Kata is karaoke. Has been from day one. It's boring.

Ryan seems smug. Good voice. No soul. He goes through the motions. It's not engaging.

Alison is winning this season. The hate she is getting is simply coming from people who have to hate a good thing. She amazing. She's the best singer this show has had In a long time. She's not my favorite but she is the superior vocalist. Congratulations in advance, Alison.

Also, who cares who wins? Why care at all? It's a tv show. It has never been more than that and it never will be. I don't recall hearing a single hit from anyone that has ever been on this show. Have I looked for their music? No. But if it hasn't randomly found me ever, that should tell you something. It's a tv show, not a ticket to stardom. Kelly and Carrie cashed that in long ago and that's all she wrote. End rant.

• Love 1

Well, that was... live?

I'm going to take a wild guess that one will be something like, "So, the singing aside, how were you feeling up there? Were you enjoying the moment you're having right here, now, in front of this crowd? In that way, you're already a winner, regardless of what people decide today."

And for Adam's team, some lukewarm praise along the lines of, "No matter what you're singing, you always make it so much fun for us to watch you. Good job."

The phrase "damning with faint praise" was tailor-made for Pharrell (and Christina, too) imo.  (I do have to admit he seemed weary by Kata's oversinging. I was hoping he'd come right out and say it: "You've got a lot going for you. Dial it down from 10 to about 6, and change it up a bit dynamically, and you'll have something really good there." But that would insult the coaching, so...not happening, esp. with Christina. )

And Carole King on "Natural Woman"? I think Kata* could have done really well with something very similar, adding a little run or extra dynamics, some melody changes if she wanted, here and there. The more I hear Kata's--and Alisan's--style of singing-as-brought-to-us-by-Christina, the more I hate it. Such vocal "show-off-ness" that doesn't do much to capture the meaning or feeling of the song at all. For my money, Carole King singing that "You make me feel like a natural woman!" got the joy and affirmation--and love--in that song that Kata's version completely lacked. She's got the talent, but needs someone to rein in the excess and remind her that getting feeling across with the words is more important than making people go, "Wow! It's amazing what she can do with her voice!". 

Sadly, that "someone" certainly isn't and won't be Christina.

*Corrected to Kata, not Alisan (thanks, Sharpie66!) Of course, now I remember which each sang. However, they -both- oversang so much to me that they were interchangeably bad, despite Alisan's status as the frontrunner. I felt nothing--zero--from either performances, unlike Joplin or King's recordings even listening to them again, familiar as they are, now. 

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

(Padma, fyi Kata sang "Natural Woman", and Alisan sang "Cry Baby".)

I had been a Mary Sarah fan since the blinds, but boy, did she blow her performance this week. That was just bad.

I think my favorite of the night was Joe, with Bryan right behind him. I was only listening, not watching, so I might have missed something extra of the performance itself, though.

And, yes, Alisan does need to tone it down a bit, but she can still sing. I don't think she'll win in a runaway like Sawyer or Jordan, but it'll be interesting to see how many final slots she gets over the season.

• Love 2

its a beautiful song - check out the way it's SUPPOSED to be sung!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyvYnkdEcc

Didn't Carol King originally write that song for Aretha Franklin as a Motown song?  i can understand why many people prefer the acoustic version that she put on the Tapestry album, but Aretha's version is still considered a standard.  What Kata did was a hyped up cover of the Aretha version of the song.  Actually, what Kata did was more like a rocked out version of Meghan Linsey's cover of the Aretha version of the song (which I thought was one of the top performances of Season 8).  Of course, Kata simply doesn't have Meghan's vocal dynamics and tried to make up for it by putting her whole body into it. I personally enjoyed what Kata did, even if she didn't come even close to matching Meghan.

As for Alisan, I thought she toned it down quite nicely in the previous round with The River and would not mind seeing her alternate slower and faster songs through the rest of the season.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2

There's a part of me that would rather see "I Feel the Earth Move" if we're going to see a contestant rock a Carole King song. At this point the next contestant may actually have to be on uppers to keep the "Let's make Natural Woman a belted rock out!" trend going. I've always preferred I Feel the Earth Move (yeah, I'm weird) and I don't think I've ever seen it done on a singing show (not that I watch very many), so at least if it gets slaughtered, I'll be happy someone tried it. Alisan would be good for it. It's got lovely dynamics...

• Love 1

Last I checked itunes, the Zayne song that Brian sang has catapulted, yet Brians didn't really sell. Hows that for a twist. You may also find it interesting that Alisan and Adam Lambert are BFFs. (She has written songs for him and sung with him on tour) He still has a large following and those fans are also supporting Alisan.. I am not surprised at her itunes Rank.

Truly awful episode. 

First, Pharrell was clearly intoxicated or otherwise impaired.  Interrogating Katie - nice.  At another point during a "critique" he said, "Band sounded good."  Yes.  Well, they're professional studio musicians, and don't let this get around, but you're supposed to be commenting on the SINGER.  Your evaluation of the band's abilities is not really relevant.  I am so over him I can't even see him and his little "PLANT" hat down there.  He cannot vacate that chair fast enough. 

Poor Tamar was the latest victim of Aguilera's ongoing coaching fiascoes.  Andra Day is an interesting artist, but that song was virtually unsingable live, particularly on (what I assume was) relatively short notice and rehearsal time and under considerable pressure.  I agree with the comment upthread that Ryan is smug.  I liked his background story but I now understand why Adam booted him; Ryan's true colors are coming out and Adam's never going to get along with someone like that, ever ever.   

Kata was a disaster.  And I never hated her like most of this forum.  Just terrible.  Alisan didn't really impress me and I sense the Aguilera Wall coming for her to smack into.  I don't, in fact, think she's going to win.  Paxton is a really nice kid and an outstanding performer, but his style and choice just didn't fit on a singing competition.  Joe was similar in some ways but more polished and better.  I bet Blake keeps him around if he has to save him.  Mary Sarah was off but Blake will have a tough decision between Katie and her; I don't think he will advance two female country artists.  Adam is a great musician but he's unintelligible.  Nick was fine but as someone who can sing in three octaves and rarely encounters a note in modern pop music that I can't falsetto (the one that Tamar and Christina both hit, however, qualifies - I can't get that one), I'd like to hear him use his actual chest voice for more than 10% of his performances.  The impressive part is mixing the head voice and the chest voice, like Adam Levine does.  Exclusively using the falsetto is okay for background singing (which is all I'm any good at), but not so much as a lead vocalist.  Still, glad to see him back even if we didn't need another "Stay" cover.      

I love how all of a sudden the "Coaches' Comeback" can come from any team.  WTF?  You know, even on this show, there's supposed to be a framework here, a certain structure, and when TPTB start screwing with that, it's annoying.  Why not suddenly announce that two of the artists will henceforth be coached by Usher?  Or that someone is bringing back Amber Carrington?  (Which would be fun, but I digress.)  Hey, Pharrell picks Braiden Sunshine to return!  Those moves would make almost as much sense.  Ridiculous.

Bryan was the real revelation on the night.  And I would put him, not Alisan, as the odds-on favorite from that team.  

You would think, with AI ending, that The Voice would have stepped it up a bit, but this sure didn't do it.      

• Love 1

Well Allisan sure made Coach Christina proud. Those were the sort of performances she used to do that made me a fan. I don't like singers who sing with such gusto unless their vocals are up for it and Allisan's usually are. When she's on she's on to the point of sounding like a record that's been spliced together with several takes to make it perfect but this was a one-take live performance! Outright calling her the winner ahead of time like Adam's been doing, though, is probably not good.

Who did Christina give up Joe for? I remember expecting she was going to make that choice and not wanting her to because I knew he could do a true performance like he did. He came out not like an aspiring artist but like a professional successful performer in his prime. Love. Hope he can sustain that and win.

Edited by anonymiss

Who did Christina give up Joe for? I remember expecting she was going to make that choice and not wanting her to because I knew he could do a true performance like he did. He came out not like an aspiring artist but like a professional successful performer in his prime. Love. Hope he can sustain that and win.

Kata.

I've decided to take this show at face value.  I kick back, do some work and just enjoy the performances.  The show is not a star-maker, and I'm ok with that.  I just enjoy the singing.  So, I'll say that the artists I'm enjoying the most thus far (and hence my ideal top 12):

Adam

• Owen Danoff
  • Nate Butler

Blake

• Adam Wakefield
  • Paxton Ingram

Christina

• Alisan Porter
  • BryanBautista
  • Ryan Quinn
  • Kata Hay

Pharrell

• Hannah Huston
  • Daniel Passino
  • Caity Peters
  • Nk Hagelin

At another point during a "critique" he said, "Band sounded good."  Yes.  Well, they're professional studio musicians, and don't let this get around, but you're supposed to be commenting on the SINGER.  Your evaluation of the band's abilities is not really relevant.  

I think he was just desperately trying to find something positive to say - he certainly couldn't say anything good about the vocals. Seriously, it was getting funny watching the coaches struggle to find something halfways positive to say after the performances. The only decent vocals came from Bryan and Alisan - the rest sucked canal water.

Kata sounded like she was coughing up phlegm.

The ITunes chart at noon EDT:

12 Alisan Porter Cry Baby (The Voice Performance)

27 Nick Hagelin Stay (The Voice Performance)

30 Adam Wakefield Seven Spanish Angels (The Voice Performance)

38 Bryan Bautista Pillowtalk (The Voice Performance)

58 Ryan Quinn I'm Not the Only One (The Voice Performance)

59 Katie Basden Georgia Rain (The Voice Performance)

65 Joe Maye Long Train Runnin' (The Voice Performance)

68 Mary Sarah (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden (The Voice Performance)

81 Kata Hay (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (The Voice Performance)

Justin, Paxton and Tamar did not make the Top 100.

Man, Christina is going to get stuck with Nick going into lives. I think she'd rather Bryan was safe so she could save Tamar. Instead, she is going to have to save Bryan. What a shame.

I think he was just desperately trying to find something positive to say - he certainly couldn't say anything good about the vocals. Seriously, it was getting funny watching the coaches struggle to find something halfways positive to say after the performances. The only decent vocals came from Bryan and Alisan - the rest sucked canal water.

Kata sounded like she was coughing up phlegm.

Yeah, you're probably right.  Still, his spacehappiness was inexcusable.  I'm counting the episodes until he's gone.  

I struggle with The Voice's general positive tone, which is nice on the one hand, and the resulting blandness in the coaches' comments on the other hand; the latter reaches a fever pitch by the lives and there really is no particular reason to listen to anything the coaches have to say.  

• Love 1

I've decided to take this show at face value.  I kick back, do some work and just enjoy the performances.  The show is not a star-maker, and I'm ok with that.  I just enjoy the singing.  So, I'll say that the artists I'm enjoying the most thus far (and hence my ideal top 12):

See this is where I'm at! If others realized this truth, we'd never have to hear the "such and such is the only one who could make it, because they are current"  ever again! These shows are not about that. I maintain, and I'll say it forever, the biggest single to come out of this show is "Moves Like Jagger" .  

• Love 1

I get that some are hyping up Christina's team, but

Her team IS that good, and they proved it tonight. Not necessarily with the song choices, which could've been better, but definitely with their vocals compared to what we've seen from other contestants. A few of the people on her team have amazing chops, and that's what this show is about. To act like her team is boring or can't sing is nutso to me, and I normally don't even like watching performances after the battle rounds.

In particular, Alisan, Ryan, and Bryan were fantastic.

Blake's team is good but not many of their performances were memorable to me this round. I'm not a fan of the country song choices so far.

Edited by Jal

I can't remember an hour of The Voice that I liked less.  That was bad.

I'll have to defer to people who know that Alisan showed major vocal chops with Cry Baby.  I didn't hear a bad note, and I thought the whole thing was consistent (unlike some people who diva things up inexplicably) but the word I would have used is "overwrought" - except Alisan seemed genuinely into it.  Which - good for her, I guess.  I hope she goes back to singing tenderly next week.  I don't really like her rock side.  It makes me uncomfortable, the way that rock girl contestant of Cee Lo's never did.

there were only three clearly deficient performances.  Unfortunately, two of them were given y early favorites Mary Sarah and Tamar Davis.  Mary was a complete mess, repeatedly pitchy, with a flat trembling lower register.  Plus she failed to land the big note at the end.  Tamar tried to get too fancy and in doing so lost what makes that song special.  The third worst performance of the evening for me was Nick Hagelin.  I agree with simplyme that it may just have been the worst cover of Stay I've heard on one of these shows.

Agreed on all counts.  Mary Sarah bombed terribly, plus I LOATHE that song.  I hate that song so much I might hold a grudge about that choice, which is too bad, because I really liked Mary Sarah's blind audition.  

Nick's version of Stay did not work.  His little boy is really cute, though, and I'm not moved easily by the family hangers on.  Cantaloupe girl's father?  Stone cold from me.  Nick's little boy?  Adorable.  I was glad he got another shot, but in no way does he deserve to Stay.

Tamar imploded, which was terrible to see and hear.  Also, I didn't like her new look.  It was very dated.

Katie's performance of Georgia Rain was probably my favorite performance of the night.  That was lovely, but it wasn't that memorable for me because I have never heard that song before.  Still, she's now on my radar.

I wasn't as impressed with Brian as others seem to be.  I like Adam's voice for now.  Can't remember the others, but my vote is for the Aretha version of Natural Woman.  I always think of the Big Chill soundtrack when I hear that song.