Type keyword(s) to search

Hunter X Hunter - General Discussion

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Matt K said:

Well the Hunter exam only takes place once a year and between the last two exams only 8 people in total passed and one of those is already dead so the number seems pretty accurate (especially given the number of hunters who died during the Chimera Ant invasion).  

I guess it makes sense that it would be small, it  just seems like the way they present it, the Association would larger. Their headquarters is a skyscraper. It has to be mostly empty. Most hunters seem to be doing their own thing, they can't need that large of a support staff. I guess that might be the point though. Present itself as much more powerful than it really is. 

6 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

An episode focusing on the minutiae of the process for the upcoming election. Maybe the next one will be even more exciting and have the Zodiacs discussing the advantages of various tax accounting practices. I'm sure Rat would be all over that.

There were episodes about compound interest and antique forgery, so who knows.

• Love 1

Catching up on the last uh, 3 years of comments. The Chimera Ant storyline went on waaay too long. The idea that some of the ants remember their human lives before they were killed and eaten is seriously disturbing. Ging doesn't even bother to vising his only child on the verge of death? Yeah, he's an ass. Rather glad this whole thing is coming to an end. Should finish end of June-ish. What other series with a few hundred episodes might be coming next?

I’m glad we have a new intro.  I never liked the Ant one. 

The episode that ended with the end boss and the little girl who loved him, both dying of radiation poisoning, was the strangest thing I’ve seen on TV in a while.  I feel like Palm should’ve saved her from that, but I guess it would be impossible to defeat the king?

Latest ep:  I know we’re supposed to dislike the Rat, but I kinda sympathize for a guy who got nicknamed the Rat. I bet the bad guy is someone else. 

Forgot to mention:  Yay, Leorio is back!  He’s there for anime dads to identify with. 

Edited by lathspel
Leorio!

I loved seeing Killua's brother playing with a Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask considering how  Togashi's wife is the author of Sailor Moon.  Also apparently Pariston Hill (Rat) is an anagram for Paris Hilton.  

Edited by Matt K

Latest episode, in two parts. Which is more interesting?

1. The minutia and intricacies of the presidential election, with the Zodiacs jockeying for position.
  2. Killua’s brother, a nightmare clutched by a monkey’s paw, encased in a genie’s lamp.

Holy shit. Putting this anime in the wee hours of Saturday night might not have been the best move by Toonami. Sure, I’m thinking a bigger chunk of the audience probably DVR it, but that kid is pure nightmare fuel for those staying up that late. He should have been in Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, shouting “HAIL 2 U!!” with every wish request.

Why do I think Gon will basically ride out the rest of the anime in a coma? Poor kid.

Alluka is basically a Death Note: simple premise, but a whole lot of fine print within. Given the death count in the last arc, of course she has the potential to kill tens of thousands of people, including our old friend Rape Jester Hisoka.

Anyone else think maybe Kenzai (the tiger Zodiac) and Bakugo from My Hero Academia are distantly related? Same surliness and wild hair.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Alluka is basically a Death Note:

She kind of reminds me of the Midas Money from C Control. The bigger your personal gain, the worse it is for society at large. Or maybe I should be thinking of Fullmetal Alchemist's equivalent exchange, but not so equivalent.

8 minutes ago, lathspel said:

I think I’ve heard Alluka referred to as both “he” and “she” in this episode.  Unless one case was actually referring to Killua.

"Alluka, my wish is for you to have a sex change operation."

No?

I believe Killua is the only one to refer to her as "she" or "sister".  The rest of the family refers to her as "him" or "brother".  So Alluka most likely was born male but identifies as female and unsurprisingly her family (with the exception of Killua) doesn't support that.  

12 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

"Alluka, my wish is for you to have a sex change operation."

No?

Mental image: sinister happy face appears . . . then several question marks appear above its head. I think Alluka’s official gender is “eh.” Not unlike Crona from Soul Eater.

From the Hunterpedia:

The character presents certain designed ambiguities related to gender/sex.

Alluka being a boy is supported by the following:

• The official databook lists Alluka's sex as male.[2][note 1]
  • Two of Alluka's brothers, Illumi and Milluki, refer to Alluka as their 'brother'.[14]
  • In flashbacks, Zoldyck servants call Alluka the masculine "bocchan" or "bocchama".[1]
  • Morel once referred to Alluka as Killua's brother and Killua did not correct him, implicitly confirming that at an immediate previous moment Killua himself introduced Alluka to Morel as such (while she slept).[8][note 2]

Alluka being a girl, mostly derived from Killua's intimate bond with Alluka, is supported by the following:

• When Killua introduced Alluka to Gon, he introduced Alluka as his sister.[13]
  • Killua stated that Alluka being a girl was the reason they needed female butlers to attend to her on their mission to save Gon.[5]
  • Killua refers to Alluka as his sister multiple times, including when they were children.[3]
  • "Alluka" (アルカ or あるか,* Aruka) is a female given name.[15]

The possibility of continuity error between the databook and manga series or retroactive continuity, the Zoldycks' unwillingness to refer to Alluka on the basis of how she presents herself, and/or Alluka being transgender are all possible explanations for the conflicting references to Alluka's gender.

Based on all evidences available, this article makes no attempt to verify Alluka's sex, but it considers Alluka's gender to be female and uses the feminine pronouns 'she'/'her'.

• Love 1

Leorio didn’t uppercut Ging. Oh, no. That would be too simple. No, Leorio now has Nen abilities, and that includes long-distance uppercuts. I’m sure Ging has reasons for not seeing his son who is 99.999999 percent dead (probably citing the Luffy/Shanks “We won’t meet until basically at the end of the manga” statute), but he did have that coming.

”Could I have a fingernail?” RIP. “Okay, I’m going to hide now.” Hardcore elder giant butler/nanny.

Edited by Lantern7

Leorio! And Kurapika too! Good to see both of you. I wish the scenes in the auditorium and hospital had been flipped so that Leorio's return was revealed when he punched Ging rather than him screaming into the phone at the hospital.

16 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

”Could I have a fingernail?” RIP. “Okay, I’m going to hide now.” Hardcore elder giant butler/nanny.

And smart too. Now she controls whether Killua gets to make a wish because she's "it" until she fulfills two more demands.

The fourth round of voting is over, and there are enough votes to warrant a round of sixteen. I'm guessing we'll wind up with a tournament. Leorio got the third most votes, and Rat Guy was at the top. Ging has the final slot, and I think the clip of him getting knocked the fuck out by Leorio was visited online a lot. Also in the running are Bisky and Morel. By the way, is anyone distracted that Beans' English VA sounds too much like Lupin? I know, same guy, but there's no real difference.

Meanwhile, the Zoldyck Road Trip From Hell starts up, long enough for Illumi to stage a murder attempt via massive truck and other cars. Luckily for Team Zoldyck that their car could drive straight up a hill. Or maybe the nice young butler has a Nen/Ren/Zen/Whatever talent for those things. While Killua zips out of imminent danger with Alluka, we get this exchange between Illumi and Hisoka, the probable pedophile:

Hisoka: By the way, if I see Killua and there's a chance, can I-?

[dramatic music sting; Illumi's eye goes wild, his hair blows out, and sinister looking black bats fly in heavy numbers]

Illumi: [clearly [pissed off] Hisoka. I will kill you. Right here. Right now.

Hisoka: [smiling because he got a rise out of a dangerous man] That was just a joke. [camera goes to Illumi's hair still blowing out, bats flying in place] Um . . . you're oozing blood lust all over the place. Is that cool?

[cut to Killua with Alluka in his arms, looking at the mountaintop in the distance with the bats flapping around]

Killua: [gasping] Illumi's blood lust!

[cut back to Illumi and Hisoka]

Illumi: [now calm] Oops. Well, damn. [turning to Hisoka] Did you do that . . . on purpose?

Hisoka: [trying to look as innocent as a guy like him is capable of looking] Of course not.

Then we get a mental image of most of the cast as dolls . . .  dolls that Hisoka likes playing with. "The more toys you have, the more fun, right?" Eeeeeeewww.

In the end, Killua and Alluka speed away with Badass Older Nanny in pursuit, while Hisoka pits his gum and playing cards again the Zoldycks' head butler and his coin-shooting ability. It's a bit of a shame this anime is stuck at the butt end of the block.

The numbering on the top 16 hunters was weird - there were two 11 and two 13.  Did it reflect a tie vote?  For a minute I thought they were trying to put one over on us. 

So I was watching "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir" with my son and the main female character has the same voice actress as Killua and the bad guy is the voice actor for Hisoka doing nearly the same voice.  

To paraphrase a common expression on Yu-Gi-Oh! back in the days of Television Without Pity: "So. Much. Politicking. Can we have fights now?!?" Looks like Killua and his team are at Gon's bedside, but we have to deal with the maneuvering of the final four candidates, and the irony that Leorio -- a guy who probably never wanted the gig -- might end up as the new Chairman.

Gon is back! And just in time, since there are only three episodes left. Thanks, Wikipedia!

Basically, the Election arc is The Phantom Menace. Not in terms of underwhelming results or unlikable characters. No, this arc has been about politics. And bylaws. And endless minutia. And the antagonist is an asshole, but he's not a mustache-twirler. We got Ilumi in the other plot, but he hasn't done much. . . and I'm not sure how much havoc he can do in three episodes. Ditto with Rape Jester.

No, I'm guessing the rest of the anime will involve Gon and Ging reuniting, and why Ging has been trying to avoid it. "Because he's a father in anime" might be enough reason, I'm afraid.

Will Hisoka do anything before the end? Or did he use up his screentime in the lead-up to the Greed Island arc?

Oh, and I like the pipe guy giving the thumbs up, with tears and snot pouring out.

The Penultimate episode. I'd totally forgotten about Kite's team. I'm genuinely surprised they all survived the Chimera Ants. And the Koala guy, I'd forgotten about him too. Finally, Gon and Killua go their separate ways.  I guess the final episode will be Gon climbing the tree and talking to Ging. Seems fitting.

(edited)

I found this poll on Toonami's Facebook:

We’re running “the best” Hunter x Hunter episode ever, but we need YOUR help picking it. Which of these is your favorite episode?

Episode #126 – “Zero x and x Rose”
Episode #135 – “This Day × And × This Moment”

We’ll run the winner on 6/29 - Thanks!

Edited by Lantern7

These are the ones I would have chosen from:

16, Defeat and Disgrace - Gon steals Hisoka's badge

23, The Guard's Duty - Opening the Testing Gate and meeting Canary

35, The True Pass - Part 1 of Gon vs Hisoka in Heaven's Arena

47, Condition and Condition - Kurapika confronts Uvogin

63, A Hard Master - Biscuit starts training Gon and Killua by having them fight Binolt

82, Kite and Slots - Kite and the boys fight three Chimera Ants

111, Charge and Invade - Assault on the palace, Netero's backstory

(edited)

It was an okay anime. Maybe if the mangaka is healthy enough to write an ending, we'll get an InuYasha: The Final Season situation.

Seriously, though . . . I don't think a thug reincarnated as a pink koala going over his lives is the funniest thing, it certainly is unique.

So Kite.2 is a Chimera that resembles a girl?

Will Hisoka do anything before the end? Or did he use up his screentime in the lead-up to the Greed Island arc?

I meant Kurapika.

Edited by Lantern7

As were are reaching the end tonight, I've been reading the past 8 pages/3 years worth posts. It's interesting to reading everyone's thoughts over the years. I forgot how unsure I was about committing to the show at the start and here I am. Well, the show hasn't been perfect, but I've enjoyed it. Anyone know what's coming next? 

(edited)

And that's a wrap. It was a nice ending. I could have done without the scene of Gon, Killua, and Alluka. It kind of took away from the big goodbye last week. Nice to see Gon and Ging finally catch up and the whole "It's not about the destination, but the journey." message. And also nice to see a final where are they now with some of the other characters.  Kurapika seems to have been busy since Yorknew City.  It's been great talking about this show with everyone!

Looks like another Gundam series "The Origin" will be taking this show's spot.

Edit: Just remembered something. I didn't really understand the point of using one of those Navigators from episode 2 to pretend to be the dead butler. It seems unlikely that he won't be discovered quickly.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

This show was really unique - ostensibly a fighting show, but a lot of it was about out-thinking or out-strategizing your opponent.  Once I got into the groove of it, I enjoyed most of it.

I’d watch more of it came back to TV again. 

I’m a bit disappointed that we didn’t see Ging go out like we first saw him - on a beast on a monster on a dragon, or something like that. 

Good ending. Ging is still a jerk for leaving Gon behind. But I guess reunions are always sweet . . . especially when they take place in a nest of giant baby birds.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:56 PM, lathspel said:

I’m a bit disappointed that we didn’t see Ging go out like we first saw him - on a beast on a monster on a dragon, or something like that. 

Like I said (or close to it): they was SO baller.

Once again: I'd be down for a continuation if enough of the manga is made to warrant it.